PDA

View Full Version : Life conceal and carry

tooge
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I am taking the conceal and carry class on saturday. I probably wont carry my gun around (much) but may in the car from time to time, who knows. Anyhow, have any of you done this? Is it dreadfully boring? Do you carry a gun around ? Is it worth it? The main reason I am doing it is for the legal information, stuff like what liability I have if I plaster some yoyo's brain all over my wall after they break in.

Katipan
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
In Phoenix it was a 8 hour snore fest class and some finger prints.

I always thought it got rather boring to carry a gun. More of an ego trip than anything else.

You really don't need to bother if you just want home protection. Are you constantly harassed by thugs wanting your rims and Jordans?

Buck
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
My cousin is a Correctional Officer and he always carries his gun with him.

He told me he doesn't trust people anymore.

Cheater5
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Did it, and it is a pain in the ass. Classes, background check, fingerprints, etc etc.

But, worth it. If you happen to travel a lot it is nice to have your weapon with you in the car and hotel, etc. I don't carry on a day-to-day basis, but I have once or twice when we went downtown around the Westport area and P&L district.

tooge
01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Naw. Dont have rims or Jordans. I am in the woods a fair amount though and go on flyfishing, camping, and hunting trips alone fairly often. It would be more for stuff like that. I had to shoot a wild dog once that was mean as hell. I was more interested in whether or not the class has much practical information.

Cheater5
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
If your a gun owner for home protection, as you indicate in your first post then you don't need CCW.

Okay- saw your next post. Simply put- it is better to have it and not need it, then the opposite.

Skip Towne
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I don't need no stinking permit.

btlook1
01-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Tooge
I took the class in August and found it pretty interesting. Of course we had a good instructor that kept it entertaining and informative. I think most of it will depend on your teacher. Some of it's a dry subject.
I didn't take the class to carry just mainly to have my pistol in my truck legally. Now I'm not so worried about getting pulled over and if they want to look they can...won't get in trouble for having that pistol behind the seat...I never go to the city without throwing a gun behind the seat just my preference.
Good luck and pay attention and you can actually learn something.

tooge
01-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Tooge
I took the class in August and found it pretty interesting. Of course we had a good instructor that kept it entertaining and informative. I think most of it will depend on your teacher. Some of it's a dry subject.
I didn't take the class to carry just mainly to have my pistol in my truck legally. Now I'm not so worried about getting pulled over and if they want to look they can...won't get in trouble for having that pistol behind the seat...I never go to the city without throwing a gun behind the seat just my preference.

Perfect. That was what I was looking for. I'm not really a keep the gun under the seat kind of guy. I will on a long trip, but that would be about it. Thanks for the info.

jidar
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Is this for missouri?
In Kansas I believe we can carry a pistol in our glove compartment legally even without a special permit.

edit: And uh.. if I'm wrong someone please say so bcause I've been doing it for years.

Radar Chief
01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I am taking the conceal and carry class on saturday. I probably wont carry my gun around (much) but may in the car from time to time, who knows. Anyhow, have any of you done this?

Yes.

Is it dreadfully boring?

Yes.

Do you carry a gun around ?

Not very often, mostly just when Iím back in the woods fishing, Jeeping or whatever. If I had a handgun more conducive to being ďconcealedĒ than my Colt .45 Iíd probably carry a little more often but even then I wouldnít be carrying all the time.

Is it worth it?

Depends on where you place value. I did it because my brother in law was giving the class, so I got the BIL discount, and I wanted to support the then new legislation.
To me, yes it was worth it.

The main reason I am doing it is for the legal information, stuff like what liability I have if I plaster some yoyo's brain all over my wall after they break in.

Ah, well it may be of value to you then.

kstater
01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Is this for missouri?
In Kansas I believe we can carry a pistol in our glove compartment legally even without a special permit.

edit: And uh.. if I'm wrong someone please say so bcause I've been doing it for years.

Unless it's in a case and the ammo separate, it's not legal.

Radar Chief
01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Is this for missouri?

If youíre transporting a handgun you should just leave it unloaded on the passenger seat in plain view.
This isnít necessarily legal advice but just plain common sense.
If you have an automatic, pull the magazine and transport it with the slide locked back so that if you happen to get pulled over the officer can look at it and see that it is unloaded. If you have a revolver it would help to keep the cylinder open for the same reason. This will help reduce the nervousness of an officer should you happen to be pulled over while transporting your handgun.

Iowanian
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I did it.

Its pretty basic and boring, depending on who is giving it. I had to take a shooting test as well, but it wasn't tough...scored 100 on the written and shooting test.

I got the bonus of the fat lard deputy, telling us that his favorite way to draw from his ankle holster was a tactical barrel roll to a full draw shooting position. Hilarity. Almost as much as the "if you shot me with a .22, it would just piss me off"....

Iowanian
01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
why on earth would anyone not filling ATM's in the inner city ever need to carry a gun?

Read 3-4 pages on this thread.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4897460

Bob Dole
01-28-2009, 11:59 AM
If youíre transporting a handgun you should just leave it unloaded on the passenger seat in plain view.
This isnít necessarily legal advice but just plain common sense.

This.

(All the cool kids are doing it.)

Bob Dole once got stopped on his way to the range with 3 handguns sitting in the passenger seat. You've never seen anyone get a window down so quickly and start screaming, "THERE ARE UNLOADED WEAPONS ON THE PASSENGER SEAT!" repeatedly.

KCTitus
01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I completed this for Virginia last week...all they require is a basic 'safety' course and that's it. I honestly would have preferred more to it than that, given some of the yokels I saw in class. My VA CHP is recognized in MO, but not KS..and when I travel from VA to MO, I have to 'unload' as I go through Illinois since they dont recognize my permit.

I should have mine in 30 days...

I have a Springfield XD-9mm--since it's cheap to shoot, but have decided to get a .40 Subcompact for CC.

googlegoogle
01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
funny how the states are able to ignore the constitution.

probably time for another bloodbath civil war to remind people of freedoms.

Boiled Chicken
01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I did it a couple of weeks ago. Two part process. Certification and then application.

KS certification is either/or semi-auto or revolver. 25 rounds qualify/25 rounds certify.

5 rounds qualify/certify one handed at 10 ft.
10 rounds qualify/certify two handed at 20 ft.
10 rounds qualify/certify two handed at 30 ft.

MO certification is revolver AND semi-automatic. 50 rounds practice/20 rounds qualify - EACH. All are from 25 feet two handed. All in all 140 rounds.

They'll teach you all the ways to transport, etc...,

Then you get to do application process (fingerprints, background).

Hope that helps...and yes it was boring, but between the breaks, lunch, travel to the firing range, only added up to really 5 hours of an 8 hour class.

Brock
01-28-2009, 01:33 PM

In a plastic case in the back seat works for me.

wutamess
01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
In Missouri you can carry your gun in your car without license.
You only have to have it to carry it on your person.

Radar Chief
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
In a plastic case in the back seat works for me.

Ever been pulled over while transporting it in a plastic case on the back seat?
Just curious how that conversation with the officer went.

Brock
01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Ever been pulled over while transporting it in a plastic case on the back seat?
Just curious how that conversation with the officer went.

Sure. They didn't say anything about it.

Radar Chief
01-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Cool. Well, there ya go, another way to transport.

Valiant
01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Did it, and it is a pain in the ass. Classes, background check, fingerprints, etc etc.

But, worth it. If you happen to travel a lot it is nice to have your weapon with you in the car and hotel, etc. I don't carry on a day-to-day basis, but I have once or twice when we went downtown around the Westport area and P&L district.

I didn't think conceal and carry worked in most other states??

I mean traveling to other states from Missouri..

Iowanian
01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Reciprocity.

Some states....many states, honor C&C permits from other states.

That said, there are some counties in Iowa that would be pricks if you were packing with a valid permit from another. Sheriffs can refuse to allow them, allow them only "in county" or for specific purposes, or some of the good ones, allow statewide permits.

dilligaf
01-28-2009, 03:56 PM
My carry gun is a 357 taurus snub nose. Idaho is pretty relaxed on carry laws.

PastorMikH
01-28-2009, 04:04 PM
In Missouri you can carry your gun in your car without license.
You only have to have it to carry it on your person.

Actually, when I was in MO 10 years ago, the pistol had to be visible from 3 different points outside the car. Also, it is my understanding that in MO you only need to have a the concealed carry permit if the gun is concealed. If you are able to legally buy a firearm, you can legally carry one as long as it is visible - even in city limits unless there are city ordinances preventing it. For example, carrying one in a western style holster on your leg where everyone can see it - fine. Carrying one in a shoulder holster with a sport jacket on and no one can see it - bad.

Things could have changed in 10 years, but everything I've heard about Missouri gun laws is they have become more relaxed, not firmer.

tooge
01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I can go down to the plaza with a gun strapped to my leg as long as everyone can see it?

Groves
01-28-2009, 04:21 PM
It's called open carry, and many states allow it, some without permit, some with. There's a bit of public backlash to the idea depending on where you are, though.

If the idea of open carry is foreign to you, this would be a good time to introduce yourself to brandishing laws and their penalties, too.

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I am taking the conceal and carry class on saturday. I probably wont carry my gun around (much) but may in the car from time to time, who knows. Anyhow, have any of you done this? Is it dreadfully boring? Do you carry a gun around ? Is it worth it? The main reason I am doing it is for the legal information, stuff like what liability I have if I plaster some yoyo's brain all over my wall after they break in.

I really thought your avatar was a random pic, but I think I was wrong

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
This.

(All the cool kids are doing it.)

Bob Dole once got stopped on his way to the range with 3 handguns sitting in the passenger seat. You've never seen anyone get a window down so quickly and start screaming, "THERE ARE UNLOADED WEAPONS ON THE PASSENGER SEAT!" repeatedly.

Bob, that is one shitty situation, let me tell you that.

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Did you inform them that you had one in the backseat before they asked you?

Brock
01-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Did you inform them that you had one in the backseat before they asked you?

I didn't feel the need to bring it up. It's a black plastic case sitting in my back seat, and I don't feel it's any of their business what's in it. If he'd asked, I'd have told him, I guess.

tooge
01-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I really thought your avatar was a random pic, but I think I was wrong

ever seen that movie? I walk around feeling like that guy all the time. Cracks me up every time I see it.

rad
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
I live in NY State, and I never had to take a course. Just a 9 month long application process. You can't carry in NY State without a permit. Oddly, the permit is valid in all of NY....... EXCEPT NYC.

bdeg
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
ever seen that movie? I walk around feeling like that guy all the time. Cracks me up every time I see it.

I haven't. What movie?

PastorMikH
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
I didn't feel the need to bring it up. It's a black plastic case sitting in my back seat, and I don't feel it's any of their business what's in it. If he'd asked, I'd have told him, I guess.

I don't see anything wrong with this approach.

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 05:48 PM

Reservoir Dogs? Memento? correct me if I am wrong.

bogey
01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
When I go home to Missouri for deer season, I have my rifle in a case in my back seat. I've been stopped a couple of times in the last 18 years of going home for hunting. I always, ALWAYS make a point to let the officer know when he comes to my window that I have a weapon in the back seat. They always thank me for the information, and have never opened up the case.

beavis
01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Reciprocity.

Some states....many states, honor C&C permits from other states.

That said, there are some counties in Iowa that would be pricks if you were packing with a valid permit from another. Sheriffs can refuse to allow them, allow them only "in county" or for specific purposes, or some of the good ones, allow statewide permits.

35 states recognize Missouri's. it's not hard to guess which ones don't.

Radar Chief
01-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Reservoir Dogs? Memento? correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

Falling Down.

UTChief
01-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I carry (my opinion only) others will disagree but it is your right and obligation to carry and defend yourself, if you donít who will. It isnít the job of the police to be your personal bodyguard there job is to catch criminals that have committed crimes not prevent then. If every one carried criminals would think different if they knew they would get shot especially woman with the threat of rape they have the right to shoot him. In states that have concealed carry permits the violent crime is 32% less.

I would like every one to reed this artical The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/83.cfm

The Chief
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Ok, Im gonna pop my forum cherry on this one. I have my conceal and carry permit and i use my right to carry. The class to me was pretty cool. It was very informative, but pretty dry at the same time. But since it was telling me how i could leagally protect myself it had my full attention. The shooting to qualify was easy, and pretty fun. As far as concealing in your vehicle goes, why would you put your weapon in a place that is not easily accessable when needed. If its locked in a case in the back seat and you need to use right now, then pulling out the case and loading your weapon is not going to be very handy. You should have it stowed where it is easy to get to and loaded just in case you need it. A carjacker wont wait for you to load your gun that you have hidden in the trunk. Hopefully I never need to use mine, but if I do it will be on me and ready to go.

Fish
01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
C&C of choice: http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW_342PD/Mvc-018f.jpg

Brock
01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Ok, Im gonna pop my forum cherry on this one. I have my conceal and carry permit and i use my right to carry. The class to me was pretty cool. It was very informative, but pretty dry at the same time. But since it was telling me how i could leagally protect myself it had my full attention. The shooting to qualify was easy, and pretty fun. As far as concealing in your vehicle goes, why would you put your weapon in a place that is not easily accessable when needed. If its locked in a case in the back seat and you need to use right now, then pulling out the case and loading your weapon is not going to be very handy. You should have it stowed where it is easy to get to and loaded just in case you need it. A carjacker wont wait for you to load your gun that you have hidden in the trunk. Hopefully I never need to use mine, but if I do it will be on me and ready to go.

Well, my reasoning for keeping it in the case is that I don't live in carjacker country, and I'm only driving around with it if I'm on my way to go shoot it.

Iowanian
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
reciprocity maps, click your state.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

For the life of me, I don't know why one state honors anothers but not another, and states that will honor 1 permit, won't honor the state next to it.

RJ
01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Tooge

"Don't take your guns to town, son
Leave your guns at home, Bill
Don't take your guns to town."

wutamess
01-29-2009, 11:48 AM

ShamWOW... First post!

Radar Chief
01-29-2009, 11:53 AM
reciprocity maps, click your state.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Handy site, thanks. :thumb:

The Chief
01-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Im not a big poster, but im pretty passionate about my guns and my freedom! I think everybody that feels the same should get thier ccp. We may not be able take the class anymore come this time next year.

KCTitus
01-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Im not a big poster, but im pretty passionate about my guns and my freedom! I think everybody that feels the same should get thier ccp. We may not be able take the class anymore come this time next year.

+1

I had been thinking about it for a few years, but realized my window was closing.

btlook1
01-29-2009, 05:27 PM

That's exactly why I went ahead and took the class to. I would also recommend that if you are thinking about it then get it done sooner rather than later....Our great president might take that away to.

KCHawg
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Actually, when I was in MO 10 years ago, the pistol had to be visible from 3 different points outside the car. Also, it is my understanding that in MO you only need to have a the concealed carry permit if the gun is concealed. If you are able to legally buy a firearm, you can legally carry one as long as it is visible - even in city limits unless there are city ordinances preventing it. For example, carrying one in a western style holster on your leg where everyone can see it - fine. Carrying one in a shoulder holster with a sport jacket on and no one can see it - bad.

Things could have changed in 10 years, but everything I've heard about Missouri gun laws is they have become more relaxed, not firmer.

Nowadays in Mo, it can be concealed in your car without a permit. You can even have it concealed on your person, in the car, without the permit.