PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet READ THIS! (please) Chiefsplanet original articles and interviews

AustinChief
01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok, how much interest is there in this?

And when I say interest... I mean who want to sign up to write and/or do interviews with Chiefs players, coaches, front office people, family members, friends, etc etc

Mark M has been enlisted (like it or not Mark)... but who else can we get? Do we have enough people to pull this off?

I am going to put together a BETA news section now and make certain we have the infrastructure in place... just in case this flies.

Thought? Volunteers? Nominations?

HemiEd
01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I nominate "The Bad Guy" and "On the Warpath58."

AustinChief
01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I nominate "The Bad Guy" and "On the Warpath58."
SECONDED!

Jilly
01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
I think Sully would be great at this...ala Sportsguy

Mark M
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Mark M has been enlisted (like it or not Mark)...

Um ... okay. :spock:

Actually, I'm honored. Seriously ... I see myself as a JoPo minus the syrupy sweetness that tend to drip off his articles.

:)

My suggestions for others, based on their Chiefs knowledge and/or professional experience and/or writing abilities:

keg in kc (this is a must, IMHO -- dude's brilliant)
The Bad Guy (has done it before)
Fire Me, Boy! (reports for a living)
[ Zach ] (has been blogging for years)
BigChiefsFan (note: not sure if there's an "s" in there or not)
Rain Man (great writer, witty, smart, reliable)
Idaho Chief (already works as a reporter and writer)
kcnut (okay ... that's a joke)

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting several someones ...

MM
~~:hmmm:

The Bad Guy
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I would definitely do it. I think an Online chat would work better, but I'm open to anything.

dirk digler
01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I nominate mecca that way he can tell them how much they suck :D

KCrockaholic
01-28-2009, 02:51 PM
so how is this gonna work?

burt
01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I'd be in.....my degree is Public Relations and I write a lot. Even though you wouldn't know it by reading me here.

Mark M
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd be in.....my degree is Public Relations and I write a lot. Even though you wouldn't know it by reading me here.

That is definitely something to consider since many people don't worry about grammar, punctuation, etc. when posting on the Intratubes.

IMHO, knowledge of the game and the ability to come up with good interview questions trumps the writing—I'd be willing to do the editing so folks can worry more about doing interviews well, rather than dwelling on their composition skills.

MM
~~:thumb:

Christofire
01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I'd help out.
Upside: I've been an advertising copywriter for nearly 6 years, including some newsletters, blogging, etc.
Downside: I live in Wichita and don't really have any Chiefs connections.

AustinChief
01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
AWESOME!

Does anyoe have any objections to MARK M being the editor-in-chief?

I'll be back in a few... I am going to do a little work on the site in preperation...

burt
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Sounds like we have a couple of editors...and I need those. I had a problem during my internship at Worlds of Fun. I always had to have some humor in my releases. Back then W.O.F. was way too serious. Now their advertising is infused with humor.

I don't get "star struck". I have met some big celebs...no biggie. My problem is time, and I'd be willing to give some.

burt
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
AWESOME!

I'll be back in a few... I am going to do a little work on the site in preperation...

I bet he'd tell you to use an "n".... j/k......

Chief_in_Commander
01-28-2009, 03:16 PM
I'd be very willing to help with interviews and anything else you need.

TinyEvel
01-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I can do ChiefsPlanet cribs and live reports from members' bathrooms.

AustinChief
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
OK, I am thinking of using WordPress as the publishing base... any objections before I install and integrate it?

It will be setup more newsy than bloggy (for those who are used to seeing wordpress used for blogs)

Mark M
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
If we’re going to do this, I say we do it right. And to that end, here are a few ideas/thoughts/suggestions. Do with them what you will. :)

Once the team is assembled, we’ll need to have a discussion with everyone (online or off) on a few key topics:

Style guide—While I use AP style here at work, it may be a bit stringent for our needs. It is a good starting point, however, and we’ll need to figure out how we handle certain things so we remain consistent throughout the articles. Deciding on things like “e-mail” vs. “email” may seem basic, but they are important details that separate the good from the hacks.

Attribution guide—How will we handle anonymous sources? How do we clearly define opinions vs. facts? And so on.

Research—If we want to focus on interviews, we’ll need people to do research into things such as past interviews with the subject, what they have said in the past vs. what they say now, how they usually treat the media, their personality (e.g. open like Gun, or closed like Pioli), etc. THIS IS CRITICAL! Many interviews suck because the same questions are asked over and over again, or the interviewer isn’t familiar with the interviewee and is unable to get quality answers. For speed’s sake, we’ll probably want a few folks to help each other out with this as time goes on.

Copyright—It may seem strange, but this is actually important in the digital age. IMHO, using a Creative Commons license would be best, mainly due to their licensing options. Add in the open nature of the Planet, and we’ll probably want to let people use our work, but with credit (and as long as it’s not for profit).

Criticism—We need to ensure those who contribute have thick skin. We’ve all blasted others at some point, so we’ll have to take it when directed at us. We also need to address it effectively, openly and honestly, not get defensive or just ignore it.

I’m sure there are more, but this is just off the top of my head in the last five minutes or so. Thoughts … ?

MM

Ari Chi3fs
01-28-2009, 03:22 PM
I went to school for sports journalism and blog like a mofo... I could be very valuable cog in your engine! :-)

Sounds cool, regardless... I think this is 9 years overdue!!

I used to own http://chiefsfootball.com back in 1999... didn't do anything with it, by myself though, with a team, it could be very cool.
<table style="border: 0pt none ; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; border-collapse: separate; width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td id="seolinx-table" style="border: 0pt none ; margin: 1px; padding: 0pt; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold;"><table id="seolinx-paramtable" style="border: 1px solid gray; margin: 0pt; border-collapse: separate;"><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">http://toolbarqueries.google.com/favicon.ico PR: wait... (javascript:{})</td><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">http://www.google.com/favicon.ico I: wait... (javascript:{})</td><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">http://www.google.com/favicon.ico L: wait... (javascript:{})</td><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/favicon.ico LD: wait... (javascript:{})</td><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">http://search.msn.com/favicon.ico I: wait... (javascript:{})</td><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">wait... (javascript:{})</td><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">http://siteanalytics.compete.com/favicon.ico C: wait... (javascript:{})</td><td style="border: 1px solid gray; padding: 2px; background: rgb(240, 240, 240) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: darkgreen; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 7pt; font-weight: bold; white-space: nowrap;">http://seodigger.com/favicon.ico SD: wait... (javascript:{})</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td style="border: 0pt none ; margin: 0pt; padding: 1px; cursor: pointer; vertical-align: middle; width: auto;" id="seolinx-tooltip-close" title="close">chrome://seoquake/content/skin/close.gif</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mark M
01-28-2009, 03:23 PM
OK, I am thinking of using WordPress as the publishing base... any objections before I install and integrate it?

It will be setup more newsy than bloggy (for those who are used to seeing wordpress used for blogs)

I LOVE WordPress. Easy to use, intuitive, and highly stable.

Others, however, may think it sucks, so don't let my word be final or anything.

MM
~~:)

joesomebody
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm not a writer, but I attend Mizzou and they have some pretty good ones. If we do get press passes and access I'm sure I can get grad students in journalism to take this on, the more they get their names in bylines the better their resumes.

AustinChief
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
If we’re going to do this, I say we do it right. And to that end, here are a few ideas/thoughts/suggestions. Do with them what you will. :)

Once the team is assembled, we’ll need to have a discussion with everyone (online or off) on a few key topics:

Style guide—While I use AP style here at work, it may be a bit stringent for our needs. It is a good starting point, however, and we’ll need to figure out how we handle certain things so we remain consistent throughout the articles. Deciding on things like “e-mail” vs. “email” may seem basic, but they are important details that separate the good from the hacks.

Attribution guide—How will we handle anonymous sources? How do we clearly define opinions vs. facts? And so on.

Research—If we want to focus on interviews, we’ll need people to do research into things such as past interviews with the subject, what they have said in the past vs. what they say now, how they usually treat the media, their personality (e.g. open like Gun, or closed like Pioli), etc. THIS IS CRITICAL! Many interviews suck because the same questions are asked over and over again, or the interviewer isn’t familiar with the interviewee and is unable to get quality answers. For speed’s sake, we’ll probably want a few folks to help each other out with this as time goes on.

Copyright—It may seem strange, but this is actually important in the digital age. IMHO, using a Creative Commons license would be best, mainly due to their licensing options. Add in the open nature of the Planet, and we’ll probably want to let people use our work, but with credit (and as long as it’s not for profit).

Criticism—We need to ensure those who contribute have thick skin. We’ve all blasted others at some point, so we’ll have to take it when directed at us. We also need to address it effectively, openly and honestly, not get defensive or just ignore it.

I’m sure there are more, but this is just off the top of my head in the last five minutes or so. Thoughts … ?

MM

Total agreement... and officially.. my opinion on this does NOT matter... you are el jefe del periódico!

I am doing the wordpress install/integration now. Will keep you apprised of the status

Let me know when you want me to setup a subforum for your crew.

--Kyle "lucky to be the paperboy" T.

burt
01-28-2009, 03:34 PM

MM

For actual news reports, AP style is the best. For background, interviews and fluff...it is too stringent.

As far as thick skin...I have been in the car business for 20 years, do you think criticism will bother me? NOT.

All material will HAVE to be ran through the editors.

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Awesome idea. Should bring in more traffic to the site.

I nominate On The War Path "don't know what the fuck is up with his nickname though". The dude is a regular, has good knowledge of the NFL and the Chiefs. He can construct arguments, throw in numbers and stats, the sucker aint that bad.

and Claythan.

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Um ... okay. :spock:

Actually, I'm honored. Seriously ... I see myself as a JoPo minus the syrupy sweetness that tend to drip off his articles.

:)

My suggestions for others, based on their Chiefs knowledge and/or professional experience and/or writing abilities:

keg in kc (this is a must, IMHO -- dude's brilliant)
The Bad Guy (has done it before)
Fire Me, Boy! (reports for a living)
[ Zach ] (has been blogging for years)
BigChiefsFan (note: not sure if there's an "s" in there or not)
Rain Man (great writer, witty, smart, reliable)
Idaho Chief (already works as a reporter and writer)
kcnut (okay ... that's a joke)

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting several someones ...

MM

Okay. This.

Agent V
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I love this idea. I'm studying to be an English teacher, but I'm not experienced in sports writing. If you need any graphic design work done, I can definitely contribute. I have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and I can assure you my work is professional, as I was an art major before switching to English.

Just throwing it out there.

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Is it going to be more like AFC west's blog in ESPN? because that is not practical as you have to scroll down to read past news stories.

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I love this idea. I'm studying to be an English teacher, but I'm not experienced in sports writing. If you need any graphic design work done, I can definitely contribute. I have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and I can assure you my work is professional, as I was an art major before switching to English.

Someone has got to change the banner up there. The fist, Colquit kicking, Flash, it has to be updated.

burt
01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Maybe this is too basic, but when this all comes together, we should think about doing articles in pairs. I write well, tend to think of interesting questions, but there are sooooooo many here that have significantly better football minds and a better take than I would. JFWIW.

the Talking Can
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
doesn't interest me personally, but if you do it please for the love of god find an editor....

Donger
01-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd love to help. Unfortunately, I know very little about football.

JOhn
01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Do you have spellcheck?:D

Just saying........

AustinChief
01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Is it going to be more like AFC west's blog in ESPN? because that is not practical as you have to scroll down to read past news stories.
nope. I want it to be more like a standard news site... with article titles listed in date order and searchable by keywords.

That is what I have in my head at the moment. Much like ESPN, Cnn etc... but with a tad fewer articles... :D

burt
01-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Do you have spellcheck?:D

Just saying........

Only on professional letters and....maybe in the future....articles.

blueballs
01-28-2009, 03:56 PM
CP interviewer: Dwayne Bowe how do you like playing for the Chiefs
DB: typical tired old player answer
CP interviewer: Do you like to poop

Fritz88
01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
nope. I want it to be more like a standard news site... with article titles listed in date order and searchable by keywords.

That is what I have in my head at the moment. Much like ESPN, Cnn etc... but with a tad fewer articles... :D

http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/borat-i-like-hoboken.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Mark, appreciate the invite.

I'd love to help. I think the best way I'd be able to do that is as an editor of some sort. As much as I'd love to tackle some of these interviews, I'm not sure my location or my job would allow me the time to do it justice.

In any case, I say AP style, but that's also what I'm familiar with. Let me know if you'd like me to serve this cause as an editor. As "resume" material, I was a sports editor for a year at my former newspaper, people & events editor for five years before that, and the entire time was a beat reporter and features writer. Now, I spend most of my time editing other peoples' work for the station's website.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Can't do much about interviews and such from Maryland . . . unless you want someone to cover the Chiefs games in Washington and Baltimore this fall *grin*.

However, as a writer/technical writer/editor, I'd be happy to help out with post-production. I'd be happy to help edit articles before they get posted or whatever else you need done.

(Oh, and I used to write/edit sports for the local hometown paper (Hallsville Top) and did major in journalism for 3 years at UCM before shifting to History. Also did Sports interviews for the campus radio station for a year.)

Bowser
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Heh, Phobia should be in on this.

Other noms -

lj4mvp

FringeNC

milkman

Marlboro Chief (just so you can get that first firing out of the way)

Crush
01-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Excellent idea.

luv
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
If only I knew more about football. :(

burt
01-28-2009, 05:33 PM
If only I knew more about football. :(

You can bring us coffee.....

Kyle DeLexus
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I'd definitely be willing to help out in any way possible.

Coach
01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
AWESOME!

I do not object. :D

Iowanian
01-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I want you give KCNUT an column.

DaFace
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Didn't he write a column back when Phobia was at WPI? Seems like I remember hearing that somewhere.

J Diddy
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Hell ya.

You can call it "in a nutshell"

Sofa King
01-28-2009, 07:20 PM
i'd like to officially take my name out of consideration. i know you were all clamoring for me, but being in South Dakota, i can't really give it my all... the distance is just too far from, well, any game anywhere really... sorry to disappoint...

DaKCMan AP
01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
*******BREAKING NEWS*******

I am awesome.

The details - tonight at 11 after Life on Mars.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Tyler, you did a bang up job this year filling in for the fragile Brodie Croyle. A lot of fans are clamoring for you to take the reins in 09, and we've heard your stance on that. What I think a lot of readers are interested in, is this; When you dry fucked that skeleton, did you chafe?

Seems like a good start for the CP crowd.

OnTheWarpath58
01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Tyler, you did a bang up job this year filling in for the fragile Brodie Croyle. A lot of fans are clamoring for you to take the reins in 09, and we've heard your stance on that. What I think a lot of readers are interested in, is this; When you dry fucked that skeleton, did you chafe?

ROFL

Brodie, have you ever finished on Kelli's face, and if so, did she enjoy it?

Kyle DeLexus
01-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Tyler, you did a bang up job this year filling in for the fragile Brodie Croyle. A lot of fans are clamoring for you to take the reins in 09, and we've heard your stance on that. What I think a lot of readers are interested in, is this; When you dry ****ed that skeleton, did you chafe?

I'd also like to hear the story behind the penis costume he once wore.

Phobia
01-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Didn't he write a column back when Phobia was at WPI? Seems like I remember hearing that somewhere.

The funniest thing about that .... Nick Athen edited it. It was the most ironic and hilarious occurrence during my time there. He did not get it at all.

Then he got cut because he'd been blacklisted by the Chiefs due to incessant calls to One Arrowhead wanting to interview Monte Biesel. That really was funny now that I recall it.

Delano
01-28-2009, 09:13 PM
The funniest thing about that .... Nick Athen edited it. It was the most ironic and hilarious occurrence during my time there. He did not get it at all.

Then he got cut because he'd been blacklisted by the Chiefs due to incessant calls to One Arrowhead wanting to interview Monte Biesel. That really was funny now that I recall it.

Very funny stuff.

Thig Lyfe
01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
i kin rite reel gud

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Marty Mac has some experience in this too

Cornstock
01-28-2009, 11:43 PM
This is an excellent idea. I've long thought that WPI needed some good healthy competition. Plus this would be free (I hope).

Something that would be excellent is for the interviews to not only talk about football, but really relate to the players and help us to get to know them as people, instead of icons.

|Zach|
01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I LOVE WordPress. Easy to use, intuitive, and highly stable.

Others, however, may think it sucks, so don't let my word be final or anything.

MM

WordPress is great. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

J Diddy
01-29-2009, 12:52 AM
WordPress is great. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

WordPress is for pussies. I will counter your internet spacebar, with my caps locked semi-colon.

|Zach|
01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Mark M is the man and it would do a bang up job as editor if that was something he would be interested in...I only skimmed through the names but one that stands out is keg in kc...the dude flat out knows his football and would do a good job writing...I also think tk13 would be a good choice but don't see him around a whole lot these days.

I have a lot of experience with the Word Press platform and could help out as needed.

Best of luck in the new project.

|Zach|
01-29-2009, 12:55 AM
WordPress is for pussies. I will counter your internet spacebar, with my caps locked semi-colon.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/499593648_82570f8089_m.jpg

Phobia
01-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Something that would be excellent is for the interviews to not only talk about football, but really relate to the players and help us to get to know them as people, instead of icons.
That's not really done so much any more. We'd be mostly disappointed. You don't want to know these guys.

Ultra Peanut
01-29-2009, 03:44 AM
I could help edit stories.

In fact, let me be script doctor. Hells yeah.

Also, you could commission Kevin to write a weekly article about why a football player is similar to a given city.

CHENZ A!
01-29-2009, 06:29 AM
I volunteer to be the photographer. I need two sideline passes to every game.

stevieray
01-29-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't mean to rain on the parade, but the Chiefs won't be associated with this board.

Mark M
01-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't mean to rain on the parade, but the Chiefs won't be associated with this board.

Two quick things:

1. You keep typing that, but have yet to explain why.

2. We're not doing this to get press passes, or to make money, or be the next ESPN, or to hang out with "famous" people. At least I'm not. I just like the idea of sports writing by fans, for fans.

3. One can get an interview with a player without going through the Chiefs. :)

Other than that, things are moving along and I've got some PMs and emails to send out. So I'll chime back in later ...

MM
~~:D

stevieray
01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Two quick things:

1. You keep typing that, but have yet to explain why.

2. We're not doing this to get press passes, or to make money, or be the next ESPN, or to hang out with "famous" people. At least I'm not. I just like the idea of sports writing by fans, for fans.

3. One can get an interview with a player without going through the Chiefs. :)

Other than that, things are moving along and I've got some PMs and emails to send out. So I'll chime back in later ...

MM

1. It's self explanatory, IMO.
2. That's good...
3. How?

4.Good Luck.

Hog Farmer
01-29-2009, 08:29 AM
What about Carlota69. She's in the radio business. I think.

Hog Farmer
01-29-2009, 08:32 AM
I went to school for sports journalism and blog like a mofo... I could be very valuable cog in your engine! :-)

Sounds cool, regardless... I think this is 9 years overdue!!

I used to own http://chiefsfootball.com back in 1999... didn't do anything with it, by myself though, with a team, it could be very cool.
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0pt; BORDER-TOP: 0pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0pt; MARGIN: 0pt; BORDER-LEFT: 0pt; WIDTH: auto; PADDING-TOP: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate"><TBODY><TR><TD id=seolinx-table style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0pt; BORDER-TOP: 0pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0pt; MARGIN: 1px; BORDER-LEFT: 0pt; PADDING-TOP: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"><TABLE id=seolinx-paramtable style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; MARGIN: 0pt; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">http://toolbarqueries.google.com/favicon.ico PR: wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">http://www.google.com/favicon.ico I: wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">http://www.google.com/favicon.ico L: wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/favicon.ico LD: wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">http://search.msn.com/favicon.ico I: wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">http://siteanalytics.compete.com/favicon.ico C: wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 7pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(240,240,240); PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid; COLOR: darkgreen; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial">http://seodigger.com/favicon.ico SD: wait... (http://javascript<b></b>:{})</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD id=seolinx-tooltip-close title=close style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: 0pt; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; MARGIN: 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; BORDER-LEFT: 0pt; WIDTH: auto; CURSOR: pointer; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0pt">chrome://seoquake/content/skin/close.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I don't think you would be very good at this . You curse way too much and get too emotional when things don't go you're way. Besides, you're stupid.

Hog Farmer
01-29-2009, 08:34 AM
my concern is that this is going to be something that will end up forcing us members to have to buy a subscription. I'm willing to donate from time to time but I don't want to be forced to pay.

Other than that I love this idea.

Rausch
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM
If I were close enough to the area I'd love to do something like this.

I can't but I'd full on support CP hiring/using it's own writers/columnists for the site. A great and long overdue dimension to CP...

leviw
01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
No way this works. No....way.

crazycoffey
01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I'd love to be involved, but seeing as many of you have echoed the same things my high school editor told me when he talked me out of writing for that paper, and start taking pictures instead.....

I guess I'll just be a critic :shrug:

Don't know much about Mark, but no initial objections. Warpath has my vote and not just because he's my friend, but he has a good sensibility about his football takes. some days he can show me a part of him is like mecca but he still has a hint of hootie homerism.....

Mark M
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
my concern is that this is going to be something that will end up forcing us members to have to buy a subscription.

NEVER!

There will never, ever be a charge for people to read it if I have anything to say about it. It simply isn't part of the plan.

Besides, if there was ever any money to be made off of this, it could more easily come from ad revenue on the site. No reason whatsoever to charge for it.

MM
~~:shake:

Mark M
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
... 3. How?

Players don't need to okay their every interview with the organization. They have agents, friends, family, other connections.

Trust me -- there are ways to get interviews with player. :)

Granted, getting interviews with Chiefs' brass and/or coaches is all together different, and I don't disagree it'd be a tough sell. But not impossible.

4.Good Luck.

If you're sincere, thanks.

If you're not sincere ... well, kiss my skinny white a$$.

MM

stevieray
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Players don't need to okay their every interview with the organization. They have agents, friends, family, other connections.

Granted, getting interviews with Chiefs' brass and/or coaches is all together different, and I don't disagree it'd be a tough sell. But not impossible.

If you're sincere, thanks.

If you're not sincere ... well, kiss my skinny white a$$.

MM

I'm sorry you had trouble discerning my well wishes.

penguinz
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134521

Mark M
01-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry you had trouble discerning my well wishes.

Just messin' with ya, man. :p

BTW, hope all is well with you and the family.

MM

leviw
01-29-2009, 10:54 AM

One, you act like players are eager to do interviews -- let alone interviews with a message board -- which is completely false. Two, even if you do luck into getting an interview to speak with you without clearing it with the Chiefs media relations, you'll only do it once.

Mark M
01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
One, you act like players are eager to do interviews -- let alone interviews with a message board -- which is completely false. Two, even if you do luck into getting an interview to speak with you without clearing it with the Chiefs media relations, you'll only do it once.

I never said they were eager to do interviews. Just that there are other channels to contact them.

As far as the rest goes, I guess we'll just have to see, now won't we?

MM

Dartgod
01-29-2009, 11:18 AM

Demonpenz will be heading the graphic arts department.

leviw
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I never said they were eager to do interviews. Just that there are other channels to contact them.

As far as the rest goes, I guess we'll just have to see, now won't we?

MM

I guess you will see.

Here's an idea: Don't mess with what works. Don't try to be more than you are. There's absolutely nothing worse than fanboys pretending to be the media — talking to players, etc. Sooner than later, you'll burn bridges with everyone associated with the Chiefs, including the users of this site.

If you like giving the fans a voice on the site, pick out the guys you want to write and let them write their opinions on the team. But DO NOT get the players, coaches and organization involved.

This is a bad decision and won't end well.

Mark M
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I guess you will see.

Here's an idea: Don't mess with what works. Don't try to be more than you are. There's absolutely nothing worse than fanboys pretending to be the media — talking to players, etc. Sooner than later, you'll burn bridges with everyone associated with the Chiefs, including the users of this site.

If you like giving the fans a voice on the site, pick out the guys you want to write and let them write their opinions on the team. But DO NOT get the players, coaches and organization involved.

This is a bad decision and won't end well.

Trust me ... we have no delusions about this. We're not doing it to make money, or to hang out with a bunch of athletes, or to get a press pass, or to become the next big Internet thing, or to get gigs at ESPN or the NFL Network.

We just want to create something by fans, for fans. Maybe a bit more Xs and Os than usual, but that's about it.

And if we can swing an interview or two, great. And if we can't, no biggie.

Believe me -- there's been a lot of talk behind the scenes, and we're all listening and reading and considering all thoughts on this (including yours). Our main goal is to just do it right, and do it well. Anything else is a bonus.

MM

Christofire
01-29-2009, 01:03 PM
We just want to create something by fans, for fans. Maybe a bit more Xs and Os than usual, but that's about it.

MM

I think some decent Xs and Os analysis would add a lot to the experience. One of the better Whitlock columns recently was when he analyzed how the Chiefs were using Dorsey. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not, but he actually gave some insight that the average person maybe doesn't have.

Ultra Peanut
01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I think some decent Xs and Os analysis would add a lot to the experience. One of the better Whitlock columns recently was when he analyzed how the Chiefs were using Dorsey. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not, but he actually gave some insight that the average person maybe doesn't have.Just a note, if you like in-depth analysis: Smart Football (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/). As an example, the deep crossing route (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/01/deep-crossing-route-larry-fitzgerald.html).

Mark M
01-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Just a note, if you like in-depth analysis: Smart Football (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/). As an example, the deep crossing route (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/01/deep-crossing-route-larry-fitzgerald.html).

That's rep for the link. Nice site.

Some of the articles seem way too long for online, but definitely good stuff, and something to look at as an example and reference.

MM

Ultra Peanut
01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Psh. You can't embed videos on paper.

Yet.

Christofire
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
I repped U.P. as well. How does the site decide how much rep it gives?

Rukdafaidas
01-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't having lots of time to taking inturviews but i thank i be gould at editors

chop
01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Have everyone interested write articles for you to evaluate. Pick the top guys.

BigRedChief
01-30-2009, 06:55 AM
I'm under contract to Phobia.

Dayze
01-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Demonpenz will be heading the graphic arts department.

I Second this nomination.

:clap:

jAZ
01-30-2009, 08:14 AM

This has to be really pissing the man off big time.

jAZ
01-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Did Kyle breakup with a girlfriend of something?

Count Zarth
01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Did Kyle breakup with a girlfriend of something?

Next thing you know he will be making highlight videos...

Mark M
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Next thing you know he will be making highlight videos...

I thought you were leaving? You know, us being irrelevant and all.

MM
~~:rolleyes:

Count Zarth
01-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I thought you were leaving? You know, us being irrelevant and all.

MM
~~:rolleyes:

I have an idea - let's not start this BS in another thread.

burt
01-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Alert the "real" media, Clayton had an idea!!!

Mark M
01-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Okay ... deal. Besides, I'm sure we'll have plenty of other chances to start plenty of BS in other threads.

MM

J Diddy
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
You could give claythan a dating column.

milkman
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Other noms -

lj4mvp

FringeNC

milkman

I am not a writer, an editor, am computer illiterate, and live 1500 miles from KC.

I'm just a regular dumbass on an intraweb message board calling other dumbasses out for their dumbassery.

Not much use in this venture at all.

milkman
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Is that anything like a blowup doll?

burt
01-31-2009, 09:20 AM
I am not a writer, an editor, am computer illiterate, and live 1500 miles from KC.

I'm just a regular dumbass on an intraweb message board calling other dumbasses out for their dumbassery.

Not much use in this venture at all.

I think you have an inflated ego. And would THAT be anything like a blow up doll?ROFL

Dylan
01-31-2009, 09:30 AM
what are ya'll doin' publishing a newspaper? AP Style?

honestly, i think you're better off goin' with The New York Times Style & Usage Guide -

did some paper other than the the NYT just become world class? I was gone for a few days... -30-d :D

Kerberos
01-31-2009, 04:33 PM

Is that anything like a blowup doll?

I think the column would be more of a "How Not to Get a Date" than advice on dating from a virgin.

Make him more of a lead on debate that deals with non-dating issues thus making him the masterdebater.

Chiefshrink
01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
I nominate mecca that way he can tell them how much they suck :D

And how much he knows more than they do.:rolleyes:

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I have some contacts within the Chiefs front office but I dont want to have work published on this site due to trying to start a career soon.

Count Zarth
02-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I have some contacts within the Chiefs front office but I dont want to have work published on this site due to trying to start a career soon.

Use a pen name.

burt
02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Use a pen name.

Try Bic Schaeffer.....

Mecca
02-02-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm not volunteering because he mentioned something about doing a draft thing he wanted to talk to me about...I can't be dipping my hand in to many ponds.

JOhn
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Okay ... deal. Besides, I'm sure we'll have plenty of other chances to start plenty of BS in other threads.

MM

ROFL

just saying......

Phobia
02-03-2009, 01:17 AM
This has to be really pissing the man off big time.

Nah. A year ago it might have but now I have a pretty good thing going with our publication.

burt
02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Nah. A year ago it might have but now I have a pretty good thing going with our publication.

not to mention a really cool bow hat..........

Skip Towne
02-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Glad to hear that. When I heard you bought a newspaper I thought "My god why didn't he buy a buggywhip mfg. co. instead. Something with a future"

BigRedChief
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Glad to hear that. When I heard you bought a newspaper I thought "My god why didn't he buy a buggywhip mfg. co. instead. Something with a future"
I had some fun writing about the local High School football team for his paper. Depends on how you approach it. Its a hard business model in todays market but its a more rewarding job.

EyePod
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd be OK with this as long as it doesn't turn into a nazi concentration camp like the forums over at WPI....

burt
02-09-2009, 07:47 AM
I'd be OK with this as long as it doesn't turn into a nazi concentration camp like the forums over at WPI....

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

Bloody Tomahawk
02-14-2009, 05:14 PM

My first story pitch: Why can't I get tail like most Chiefs fans

Count Zarth
02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
YES YES MARLBORO CHIEF YOU STUD!

lazepoo
02-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Have any articles been written yet?

stlchiefs
02-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Have any articles been written yet?

You must not be a Premium Subscriber. Send me $99.99 and I'll fill you in.

lazepoo
02-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks, Nick

ROFL

Mark M
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm still waiting to hear back from a few folks, but stuff is happening behind the scenes -- Kyle is getting the software, I'm working on a style guide and editorial calendar, etc. Sadly, life has sucked up a lot of my time lately, so it's taking a bit longer than any of us wanted.

We should be up and running well before the draft ...

**crosses fingers**

MM
~~:thumb: :D

stlchiefs
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM

I'm still waiting to hear back from a few folks, but stuff is happening behind the scenes -- Kyle is getting the software, I'm working on a style guide and editorial calendar, etc. Sadly, life has sucked up a lot of my time lately, so it's taking a bit longer than any of us wanted.

We should be up and running well before the draft ...

**crosses fingers**

MM
~~:thumb: :D

As I've stated, I'll take care of accounts receivable. :D

Direckshun
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
How Scott Pioli Gives Head In My Imagination

Direckshun
February 22, 2009

KANSAS CITY -- It was a frosty day in the great border city, as I escaped from the harsh conditions outside onto a nondescript leather couch somewhere deep inside the bowels of 1 Arrowhead Drive. Stripped down to my skivvies and tied to the furniture, I could feel little but fear and arousal as I heard the breath of another man in the room, perhaps positioned secretly behind the couch.

The best was yet to come.

Count Zarth
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
The Pioli Pole?

The Haley Handjob?

keg in kc
02-23-2009, 05:10 AM
WTF

Fire Me Boy!
02-23-2009, 05:46 AM

Direckshun
February 22, 2009

KANSAS CITY -- It was a frosty day in the great border city, as I escaped from the harsh conditions outside onto a nondescript leather couch somewhere deep inside the bowels of 1 Arrowhead Drive. Stripped down to my skivvies and tied to the furniture, I could feel little but fear and arousal as I heard the breath of another man in the room, perhaps positioned secretly behind the couch.

:eek:

Count Zarth
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, Kyle did say he wanted "original" articles.

Phobia
02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I know I've cracked on WPI my fair share but they're way, way, way better at this whole thing.

Count Zarth
02-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I know I've cracked on WPI my fair share but they're way, way, way better at this whole thing.

I think the Planet will have some good stuff once it gets going. I'd be interested to know who's writing.

Direckshun
02-24-2009, 12:41 AM
I'd be happy to volunteer a little work myself but it'll have to come much later down the road, when I am not exhaustingly busy with a thousand different things.

Duck Dog
02-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Direckshun
February 22, 2009

It usually takes Kotter to out someone around here, they don't normally do it themselves.

stevieray
02-24-2009, 11:25 PM
It usually takes Kotter to out someone around here, they don't normally do it themselves.

using the word adorable reptitively doesn't help.

Otter
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I always wanted to complete a good apocalyptic and/or horror book before I hit 40 just to see if it sells, gets selected to make a movie and I retire off the fat income and residuals for years to come..

Here’s a couple paragraphs, let me know what you guys think:

The months of isolation and the realization that they were not going to be rescued started take its toll on the survivors. The zombies were everywhere and the sound of helicopters flying overhead had all but ceased. The five men trapped in this 15th floor of hell on earth were beginning to envy the dead.

As the group sat down for another heated discussion of how to escape the building in one piece in search of an island, a shopping mall, a hunting cabin – anything the door opened with an ominous creaking sound usually saved for an old iron gate in Stephen King movies.

There stood Phil, he had a crazy, empty look in his eyes and was wearing nothing but a diaper stretched tightly around his well proportioned waist. He clearly lost touch with reality. In one hand he held an almost empty bottle of Jose Cuervo. In the other a king kong battery operated dildo he must have made off with on their last food raid where they ducked in the adult book store for a quick hiding spot from the undead.

“Men have certain needs” he said monotone while staring at everyone but no one. As the others slowly backed out of the room Claythan stood up, reached into his backpack for a fresh set of batteries and started to undress.

Christofire
02-26-2009, 08:34 AM
If I may continue:
In the next room, a lone zombie froze. Fiercely independent, he had felt suffocated by the group attack requirements of the zombie code. He understood well the need to overcome their glacial attack speed with sheer numbers, but he was his own zombie -- a rebel without a nose.

Before now, the molasses-like neural pathways in his shriveled zombie brain had not bore a single shred of doubt. But now, with an unsettling chorus of ecstasy and agony echoing through the walls around him, his eyes widened and his blood ran ... umm ... even colder than it already was.

"NNNNNGGGGG ... what ... hell ... was ... I ... thinking ...?"

bdeg
03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm willing to help. I'm not in KC, but I'd love to submit some questions for interviewers if possible.

t3chiefs
03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I would definitely do it. I think an Online chat would work better, but I'm open to anything.

I would like this better, but I'm not sure how easier it would be. I wish I could volunteer, but sadly I can't.:shake:
But I would help with submitting questions too. I don't know how well you would like them, or even how many I could think of. This is a great idea though!