PDA

View Full Version : Planet guaranteed to melt down on draft day

cdcox
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
There are a bunch of people who are going to lose it if we don't take a QB and a bunch of others that will lose it if we do. Good times.

Mecca
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
There are things I will understand but it better not be some ridiculous pick like Crabtree that would really piss me off.

Pestilence
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
As long as it isn't an OT or a WR......I guess I'll be fine.

OnTheWarpath58
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Yep.

That's why I'm steering clear of this place that weekend.

allen_kcCard
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
There are things I will understand but it better not be some ridiculous pick like Crabtree that would really piss me off.

Hypothically, if they did take Crabtree, what kind of rookie season would it take for him for you to come back next season and say you didn't like it when it happened, but that was a damn good pick?

Mecca
01-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Hypothically, if they did take Crabtree, what kind of rookie season would it take for him for you to come back next season and say you didn't like it when it happened, but that was a damn good pick?

It's going to be hard to have a great year when he has no one to throw him the ball.

allen_kcCard
01-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I know...I agree, I was just curious what kind of year it would take for that kind of swing in opinion for you.

Would it take him getting ROTY? A couple of big games?

Mecca
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I think Crabtree is a bit of a project so I have no idea how good he's going to be early on...

He's Dwayne Bowe with better hands or a thinner not as strong version of Anquan Boldin, do I think that's horrible no. But it's going to take him sometime to develop as a player, physically that's what he compares to..but coming out of the spread and the Big 12 and the Tech offense really put his development behind.

the Talking Can
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
if we pass on a QB, i will lose it.....i get 24 hrs to hunt and kill true fans

then, drenched in blood, I'll get back on the Pioli wagon....

DaneMcCloud
01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I think Crabtree is a bit of a project so I have no idea how good he's going to be early on...

He's Dwayne Bowe with better hands or a thinner not as strong version of Anquan Boldin, do I think that's horrible no. But it's going to take him sometime to develop as a player, physically that's what he compares to..but coming out of the spread and the Big 12 and the Tech offense really put his development behind.

Honestly, you're describing a pretty damn good draft choice, even at number 3 overall.

If that guy can get close to 1,000 yards and 80 catches his rookie season, that would be outstanding. Especially considering he's no where near his ceiling.

But with that being said, I just can't see the Chiefs drafting him in the 3 spot, especially if a Haley is hired.

Haley turned a second year, 5th round choice into a 1,000 yard receiver. AND he's on the same team as Boldin and Fitzgerald.

I have a hard time believing that Haley would feel the need to go receiver with the first pick.

Frosty
01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Yep.

That's why I'm steering clear of this place that weekend.

Not me. I love this place on draft weekend. :)

Mecca
01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Honestly, you're describing a pretty damn good draft choice, even at number 3 overall.

If that guy can get close to 1,000 yards and 80 catches his rookie season, that would be outstanding. Especially considering he's no where near his ceiling.

But with that being said, I just can't see the Chiefs drafting him in the 3 spot, especially if a Haley is hired.

Haley turned a second year, 5th round choice into a 1,000 yard receiver. AND he's on the same team as Boldin and Fitzgerald.

I have a hard time believing that Haley would feel the need to go receiver with the first pick.

The thing is that's his physical upside but then you bring in the other questions..from the spread, Big 12 bad defenses, 2 years experience, does he reach that potential, he may but I don't think it happens quickly.

Shaid
01-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Even if it's not Haley, look at Pioli's drafting record with WR's. I seriously doubt we take him.

DaneMcCloud
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Even if it's not Haley, look at Pioli's drafting record with WR's. I seriously doubt we take him.

Honestly, I don't think that Pioli's draft record with the Patriots amounts to a hill of beans when assessing the 2009 Chiefs draft.

The Patriots went 5-11 in 2000 and won the Super Bowl in 2001. The team that he and Belichick inherited was far more talented than the Chiefs current roster, plus they picked up additional picks from the Jets in the Curtis Martin trade.

I'm not suggesting that Crabtree is the pick at #3 (I'd actually be genuinely shocked) but I don't Pioli's past comes into play in the next two NFL Drafts, due to such a talent depleted roster AND very few (if any) substantial upgrades via free agency.

Ultra Peanut
01-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Unless you're a team which already has a receiver he can be compared to.

Sort of like how Andre Smith is a great pick... if you aren't already set at LT. Then he becomes superfluous.

Shaid
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Honestly, I don't think that Pioli's draft record with the Patriots amounts to a hill of beans when assessing the 2009 Chiefs draft.

The Patriots went 5-11 in 2000 and won the Super Bowl in 2001. The team that he and Belichick inherited was far more talented than the Chiefs current roster, plus they picked up additional picks from the Jets in the Curtis Martin trade.

I'm not suggesting that Crabtree is the pick at #3 (I'd actually be genuinely shocked) but I don't Pioli's past comes into play in the next two NFL Drafts, due to such a talent depleted roster AND very few (if any) substantial upgrades via free agency.

I understand the arguement that they are 2 completely different teams but don't think you can completely disregard his past draft strategy. The success of the Patriots was in that they didn't reach and filled by BPA whenever possible while at the same time, valuing certain positions higher than others.

Even discounting Pioli's draft record there are 2 things that tell me we don't go WR. First, I think WR is one of the last building blocks you need to put in place when building a team. Second, we've already got Bowe and Tony as viable receiving threats.

DaneMcCloud
01-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Unless you're a team which already has a receiver he can be compared to.

Sort of like how Andre Smith is a great pick... if you aren't already set at LT. Then he becomes superfluous.

No, I'm with you. Which is why I stated that I'm not advocating his selection for the Chiefs.

I don't know if I stated it in that post, but I've stated it elsewhere.

ChiefsCountry
01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
This team is more like the 1989 Dallas Cowboys than anything. That team heading into the offseason had Michael Irvin, Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton, Jim Jeffcoat, and Tony Tolbert. Chiefs have a little more than that with Bowe, Albert, Brian Waters, Flowers, Dorsey, Derrick Johnson maybe Hali, Pollard, Page etc. Gonzalez and Larry Johnson remind me of Herschel Walker type on the team. Steve Peuller, the 1988 Cowboys QB stats are very similar to Thigpen.

DeezNutz
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Who is going to be throwing him the ball? You? Me?

talastan
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
I agree with most on here. If we get a QB at #3 great. A DE or Curry would be okay as well. Crabtree or an OT and I'll be livid!! :#

DaneMcCloud
01-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Who is going to be throwing him the ball? You? Me?

I've got a pretty good arm, Dammit!

ROFL

As stated, I'd be shocked if they took Crabs.

alpha_omega
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Steve Peuller

Wow....i hadn't heard that name in a long time.

Amnorix
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Pioli won't give a damn what any of you, or all of you, think.

...and that's a good thing.

tyton75
01-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I would nearly guarantee that it will be a boring draft and most people won't like it much... but in 3 years everyone willl probably be shocked at how good it was

the Talking Can
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM

wow....and we thought he'd do what we said....thanks for correcting us...

DaneMcCloud
01-29-2009, 04:17 PM

I would sincerely hope not.

SNR
01-29-2009, 04:57 PM

...and that's a good thing.Neither did Herm. We're used to it.

Thig Lyfe
01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
We better go with Tebow. I don't care that he's staying at Florida.

SNR
01-29-2009, 05:09 PM
We better go with Tebow. I don't care that he's staying at Florida.I don't think Chan has a play in his playbook that means the same as "do what you gotta do to make the play."

Seriously, that really pissed me off when Urban revealed that he actually "calls" that to Tebow.

Basileus777
02-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I will meltdown if we take an offensive player other than a QB, especially a lineman or a WR.

eazyb81
02-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Are there people on here that are truly adament about not selecting a QB in the 1st round? I've seen some random people mention it, but not enough people to think there would be a CP meltdown.

It seems to me that the divide is between people who desperately want a QB and people who are willing to consider other alternatives, but aren't necessarily against a QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Are there people on here that are truly adament about not selecting a QB in the 1st round? I've seen some random people mention it, but not enough people to think there would be a CP meltdown.

It seems to me that the divide is between people who desperately want a QB and people who are willing to consider other alternatives, but aren't necessarily against a QB.

It's kind of funny. The whole CFB season, there was a huge swath of the board who'd bash everything Stafford did because it looked like we might draft him. Now, he's looking like the surefire #1 overall pick that many of us said he'd be, and no one has a bad thing to say about him, it's all about tearing down Sanchez.

Couple that with the resident "We should build our team through OL to emulate the '03 Chiefs" and the "draft D in every round" fucktards, and you have a sizable contingent.

mlyonsd
02-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm far less concerned who we pick with Pioli and (insert name here) our new coach doing the picking than if it were Carl/Herm.

bigdreams1
02-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I think that Sanchez is going to be our pick. I don't think that Pioli will find value at any other spot with the #3 pick. If we pick an OL than we are going to be throwing LT money at Albert and whomever else we pick at #3. A receiver wouldn't make any sense because there is better value for them in the later rounds. I think Curry is the only other possible player who can be picked. That would only be if Pioli and the new coach believe he is the next Ray Lewis. I'm pretty convinced it will be Sanchez though, and that would make me very happy.