PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs An interview: With Pioli's first pick?

The Poz
01-30-2009, 07:23 AM
I know most here want a QB with that pick but this wouldn't surprise me one bit.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Aaron-Curry/Aaron-Curry.php

Aaron Curry Interview
January 30, 2009
Most casual football fans still don't realize just how good of a player and pro prospect Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry is but that will all change in the coming months. Not only is Curry widely regarded to be the top senior prospect available for the 2009 NFL Draft but most view him as a legitimate Top 5 overall pick. It's not an exaggeration to say that Curry is as good of a linebacker prospect as we've seen in recent years, which is pretty impressive because that puts him in the same company with guys like Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware. A versatile 'backer who is capable of playing outside or inside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, Curry is going to be one of the most coveted players in this entire draft on April 25th. Aaron recently took some time out of his busy pre-draft training schedule to answer some questions in this interview with Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?
Aaron Curry: 6'3 | 250 lbs. | 4.5

Scott Wright: How seriously did you consider going pro after your junior season? What kind of feedback did you get from the NFL’s Underclassmen Advisory Panel last year?
Aaron Curry: I was very close to entering the NFL draft as a junior, but due to the bonds I built with my teammates and coaches I decided to stay. I received a 3rd round grade but I wanted to max out my college campaign and get better. I did not receive any specific feedback, just a third round grade.

Scott Wright: Most scouts feel you are capable of playing inside or outside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive scheme. What are your thoughts on that and where do you think you’d be most comfortable?
Aaron Curry: No matter where I am placed in a system I will maximize my potential and continue to make big plays. My college coach Brad Lambert did a very good job of structuring me into an overall linebacker. Coach Lambert made sure I was able to take on and shed blocks like an inside 3-4 linebacker and also taught me to be very strong at the point of attack as a Sam in the 4-3. Coach Lambert also made sure I was able to make big plays in the pass game also. He really made me a student of the game.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?
Aaron Curry: My greatest strength is my ability to take on and shed blocks to remain free in traffic. I believe I need to work on my level of aggression.

I sometimes play too aggressive.

Scott Wright: What current NFL linebacker do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?
Aaron Curry: The NFL is equipped with a lot of great linebackers. I've always seen myself as a mixture of Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?
Aaron Curry: My greatest football moment to date would be the Clemson game from this season. That was a big game with a national spotlight and I feel like I really separated myself from the rest of the talent on the field with my big hits in the open field.

Scott Wright: Who is the best opposing player you faced during your college career?
Aaron Curry: Matt Ryan was the best player I have ever faced. I felt like he was in a league of his own. It was like playing against an NFL quarterback.

Scott Wright: When did you realize that you had a future in football beyond college?
Aaron Curry: I did not realize until Coach Lambert pulled me in his office one day and we had a heart to heart. He assured me that as long as I continued to show up and work every day like I do then my dream to play in the NFL would soon come true.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Wake Forest that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?
Aaron Curry: I really think that Brandon Ghee will be one of the premier players in the 2010 NFL Draft. Brandon has an elite blend of size and speed and is also very coachable.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up?
Aaron Curry: The UNC Tar Heels were my favorite team growing up in college and I have been a Carolina Panthers fan ever since the franchise was established.

Scott Wright: Did you have a favorite player?
Aaron Curry: My favorite players are Willie Parker, Julius Peppers, and Anquan Boldin.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you looking forward to going up against in the NFL?
Aaron Curry: I can't wait for my opportunity to go against Willie Parker & Anquan Boldin.

Scott Wright: When you get your first NFL paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?
Aaron Curry: The first thing I will purchase is a brand new house and car for my mom.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?
Aaron Curry: Coach Lambert has always told me that I would be more than welcome to come coach with him. So once my professional football career is over I am going to jump right into coaching college football.

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?
Aaron Curry: A lot of people look at me crazy when they hear that I am listening to the soundtrack from my favorite movie "300".

Scott Wright: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft?
Aaron Curry: My goal is to be selected in the Top 5.

Scott Wright: Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it!

DeepSouth
01-30-2009, 07:48 AM
I hope this is the guy the Chiefs take with the third pick.

Otter
01-30-2009, 07:50 AM
They pick pick Otto "Killer" Kalowski the 5' 8" 220 lb "tough as a bull and twice as smart" fullback from a North Dakota Community College and I wouldn't complain too much.

Carte blanche for a few years with this Chiefs fan. It takes awhile to turn coal into a diamond.

Frankie
01-30-2009, 08:34 AM
If he's our choice at 3, he better be better than DT.

StcChief
01-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Looks like a very good prospect. Future DT? time will tell.

Tytanium
01-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I sometimes play too aggressive.
I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

DeezNutz
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Because it's code for, "Sometimes I'm not assignment sound."

We have plenty of these "aggressive" players now.

talastan
01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod?
Aaron Curry: A lot of people look at me crazy when they hear that I am listening to the soundtrack from my favorite movie "300".

Good soundtrack and Great favorite movie for a LB!! :) If we pick him up at #3 I wouldn't be upset. Outside of a QB if one is available he is the only player worthy of a top 3 pick IMO.

El Jefe
01-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Good soundtrack and Great favorite movie for a LB!! :) If we pick him up at #3 I wouldn't be upset. Outside of a QB if one is available he is the only player worthy of a top 3 pick IMO.

I want a QB, if both are gone, then I'm fine with the pick, but I really want a QB. If we couldn't get a QB, I want a playmaker.

DaKCMan AP
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I want a QB, if both are gone, then I'm fine with the pick, but I really want a QB. If we couldn't get a QB, I want a playmaker.

This. Only if Stafford and Sanchez are gone.

DrRyan
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM

LB over pursues leaving his assignment and gets beat by an end around. LB over commits to the run and the TE hits the seam for a 20+ yard gain. Those are a couple of over aggressive problems just to name a few. I don't think comparing any of our current LBs to Curry is very accurate(even based soley on being aggressive). I did not seen much aggressive play out of any of the front seven last season.

Lex Luthor
01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I doubt he really thinks that. That sounds like what you say in a job interview when they ask you what your weaknesses are. You say something like "I'm too driven", or "I concentrate too much on work and not enough on balancing it with my personal life". You say a negative thing that's really a positive thing.

El Jefe
01-30-2009, 09:58 AM

You over run plays, you miss tackles, cover assignments, jump routes, miss interceptions, sacks etc.

Pestilence
01-30-2009, 10:13 AM
This.

You over run plays, you miss tackles, cover assignments, jump routes, miss interceptions, sacks etc.

That.

The Poz
01-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Reminds me a bit of Kawika Mitchell. Of course he got better after we let him walk.

MIAdragon
01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
If he's our choice at 3, he better be better than DT.

Why, because he would be picked on slot higher than DT was?

Frankie
01-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Why, because he would be picked on slot higher than DT was?

Som'in like dat.

the Talking Can
01-30-2009, 12:00 PM

you never watched Lavar Arrington play, i take it...