PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel franchise tag would cost Pats $14.65 million

JimNasium
01-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm of the belief that the Pats have to let him go through free agency. I honestly didn't watch him play much and am interested if the Planet brain trust thinks he would be worth the financial investment required to make him a Chief.

Linky (http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/01/cassel-franchis.html)

If the New England Patriots want to keep Matt Cassel by giving him the franchise tag it will cost the team $14.65 million.

The Boston Globe reports that doing so would make Cassel higher-paid than Tom Brady, who next season is scheduled to have a $5 million base salary and also receive a $3 million roster bonus.

The Globe also says that signing Cassel to a one-year tender with the franchise tag would leave the Patriots designating 24% of their salary cap space to their quarterbacks.

Thursday is the first day teams can designate franchise players, and the Patriots will have until Feb. 19 to make a decision. The franchise tag can be applied to potential free agents, and is an average of the NFL's top five salaries at a given position.

However it works out, it's one more sign of the incredible rise that began for Cassel after Brady's knee injury in the season opener. He was paid only $520,000 this season, and let's not forget that when he took the Patriots' reins expectations for him were nil, and he was the target of scathing satire and sarcasm.

MVChiefFan
01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
I know there's no way to know for sure if Brady's gonna be healthy by the season opener but I just can't see how they can do this. I mean, there could be a chance someone would trade for him but I don't think so. Then you're just stuck with an outrageously paid back-up.

rad
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM
No wonder Pioli left.....

talastan
01-30-2009, 10:52 AM
What is really crazy is the fact that someone will give up the farm in the way of draft picks or Cassel's agent is going to expect a FA contract that will be worth 14 million guaranteed money.

Dicky McElephant
They can franchise him.....so that he doesn't go to FA without getting compensation. If they get an offer that they like....they'll trade him. If they don't get an offer they like....I'm sure they'll give him a contract if Brady isn't ready and they'll make it much more cap manageable.

ChiefRon
This is going to get interesting...

DrRyan
01-30-2009, 11:01 AM
They can franchise him.....so that he doesn't go to FA without getting compensation. If they get an offer that they like....they'll trade him. If they don't get an offer they like....I'm sure they'll give him a contract if Brady isn't ready and they'll make it much more cap manageable.

The article states they have until Feb. 19 to franchise tag him or not. I assume you are suggesting that they will try and work a contract with him before then to make the cap more manageable. I can't see why Cassel and his agent would accept less than the FA market or franchise tag will bear. Obviously the Pats would like to franchise him, then trade him and get the absurd compensation that comes along with the franchise tag. But, if they are unable to, they are left with a ton of $ tied up in two QBs.

Tribal Warfare
01-30-2009, 11:03 AM
What is really crazy is the fact that someone will give up the farm in the way of draft picks or Cassel's agent is going to expect a FA contract that will be worth 14 million guaranteed money.

Like Minnesota

DaKCMan AP
01-30-2009, 11:05 AM
The article states they have until Feb. 19 to franchise tag him or not. I assume you are suggesting that they will try and work a contract with him before then to make the cap more manageable. I can't see why Cassel and his agent would accept less than the FA market or franchise tag will bear. Obviously the Pats would like to franchise him, then trade him and get the absurd compensation that comes along with the franchise tag. But, if they are unable to, they are left with a ton of $ tied up in two QBs.

They can franchise him and later remove the tag.

kaplin42
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I hope that we dont trade for him, it would be a collasal waste of a Pick and Cap space.

Dicky McElephant
01-30-2009, 11:08 AM

This.

ChiefRon
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I hope that we dont trade for him, it would be a collasal waste of a Pick and Cap space.

Depends on what Pioli thinks he is worth. He sure was high on him in his intro presser...

DrRyan
01-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Source?
I have tried to find all the "rules" regarding the franchise tag without any black and white answers.

DaKCMan AP
01-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Source?
I have tried to find all the "rules" regarding the franchise tag without any black and white answers.

http://www.nflplayers.com/images/fck/NFL%20COLLECTIVE%20BARGAINING%20AGREEMENT%202006%20-%202012.pdf

Article XX, Section 2(d)

MVChiefFan
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I would be willing to trade our 2nd round pick for him then move down and acquire a 2nd back. But giving up the #3 spot for him? NO WAY!

MahiMike
01-30-2009, 11:40 AM
LJ + 3rd rounder for Cassel + any of their RBC guys.

Amnorix
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM

errr....no.

Amnorix
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I think this is fairly simple. Either the Patriots think they need an insurance policy for Brady, or that they can convert Cassell into a high draft pick, or they don't. Answer yes to either of those, and they franchise him. If it's no to both, then they don't.

The franchise tag won't debilitate the Pats on the cap. They have the room to do it.

dirk digler
01-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Why would anybody pay that much money or try to trade for him? He is a below average at best QB

Dicky McElephant
01-30-2009, 11:50 AM

That's a retarded offer.

dirk digler
01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
That's a retarded offer.

I know it is too much

svuba
01-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Recently Cassel claimed he is fine with being Brady's Back -up....Maybe he is not that bright. The Pats will sign him to a 5 year $5Million deal.

OR

Pioli is Belichick's Trojan Horse. The Chiefs will give NE all of our Draft Picks for Cassel like the Ricky Williams, or Hershel Walker Deal!

Then next Year we will trade our First Rounder for Junior Seau, and Pioli will laugh his ass off as he heads back to NE!

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
He's getting traded, and will get a new deal, so it's pretty much irrelevant.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Matt fucking Schaub was traded for 2 2nds and a swap of firsts, anything less than a late first is shitty offer by those standards. Young qbs have a high value, we'd have to offer our 2nd + more to get him.

Dicky McElephant
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Matt fucking Schaub was traded for 2 2nds and a swap of firsts, anything less than a late first is shitty offer by those standards. Young qbs have a high value, we'd have to offer our 2nd + more to get him.

I'd rather have Matt fucking Schaub then Matt fucking Cassell.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I'd rather have Matt ****ing Schaub then Matt ****ing Cassell.

You're crazy man. Schaub is made of glass and mediocre at best. Cassel was impressive last year and showed consistent improvement throughout the season. Cassel has already proven more than Matt Schaub and when Schaub was traded for those 2nd roudners he had only played in like 3 games.

Dicky McElephant
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
You're crazy man. Schaub is made of glass and mediocre at best. Cassel was impressive last year and showed consistent improvement throughout the season. Cassel has already proven more than Matt Schaub and when Schaub was traded for those 2nd roudners he had only played in like 3 games.

Cassell threw how many TDs with Randy Moss and Wes Welker as WRs? No thanks. Cassell is way overrated.

DrRyan
01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
He's getting traded, and will get a new deal, so it's pretty much irrelevant.

IF, he is getting traded NE will Franchise him. NE is not going to just give him away. I have a hard time believing that any team is going buck up with two first round picks for a career back up that thrive with one of the top 5 receiving cores in the league.

Brock
01-30-2009, 12:35 PM
IF, he is getting traded NE will Franchise him. NE is not going to just give him away. I have a hard time believing that any team is going buck up with two first round picks for a career back up that thrive with one of the top 5 receiving cores in the league.

Not 2 first rounders, but some team is going to make a play for him.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 12:36 PM

No one is going to give up 2 firsts, but I highly doubt the Pats would only take that. Someone will offer a late first or a package of 2nds. Someone gave up 2 2nds and a swap of firsts for a backup who had played 3 NFL games. Cassel has least played at a fairly high level for an entire season.

Dicky McElephant
01-30-2009, 12:40 PM
No one is going to give up 2 firsts, but I highly doubt the Pats would only take that. Someone will offer a late first or a package of 2nds. Someone gave up 2 2nds and a swap of firsts for a backup who had played 3 NFL games. Cassel has least played at a fairly high level for an entire season.

Stick him on any team other than the Pats.....and I'll bet he doesn't do as hot. There is a post in the Draft forum about how his yards all came from the receiver's YAC. He threw 21 TDs with Moss and Welker? Are you fucking kidding me?

bowener
01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
If we draft a QB at #3, do you think that monster contract will drive the price up on the franchise a little more? Is it base salary, or total salary btw?

dirk digler
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Stick him on any team other than the Pats.....and I'll bet he doesn't do as hot. There is a post in the Draft forum about how his yards all came from the receiver's YAC. He threw 21 TDs with Moss and Welker? Are you fucking kidding me?

Yep. I wouldn't want Cassel anywhere near this team I would rather have Thigpen honestly.

Dicky McElephant
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Yep. I wouldn't want Cassel anywhere near this team I would rather have Thigpen honestly.

I'll take Stafford or Sanchez.

DrRyan
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM

IF they franchise him, that is the deal.

"If the player’s original team does not match, it will be compensated with the signing team’s assigned first-round draft picks in two consecutive years. The player also has the option of signing the one-year franchise tender."

- http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=959

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Stick him on any team other than the Pats.....and I'll bet he doesn't do as hot. There is a post in the Draft forum about how his yards all came from the receiver's YAC. He threw 21 TDs with Moss and Welker? Are you ****ing kidding me?

The thing about Cassel is that his performance changed pretty dramatically as the season went on. Early in the season he was basically just a check down guy, but by the end of the seasons the guy was making a lot of plays. Having watched him much of the season, I was impressed by his improvement. It was his first year playing since high school, going by his numbers, which are actually pretty good, don't give you the whole story.

Basileus777
01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
IF they franchise him, that is the deal.

"If the player’s original team does not match, it will be compensated with the signing team’s assigned first-round draft picks in two consecutive years. The player also has the option of signing the one-year franchise tender."

- http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=959

You can still trade him like any other player, you don't have to go that route.

Frosty
01-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Hopefully Minnesota or San Fran.

CoMoChief
01-30-2009, 01:59 PM
If we were to trade for him, at least he's way better than any of the QB's coming out of this upcoming draft.

This is a very incredibly soft draft for the top 10, more so than in recent years. This team is still about 2-3 years away from really competing anyways. Cassell's better than Thigpen or anyone coming out of this draft.

DaKCMan AP
01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
If we were to trade for him, at least he's way better than any of the QB's coming out of this upcoming draft.

This is a very incredibly soft draft for the top 10, more so than in recent years. This team is still about 2-3 years away from really competing anyways. Cassell's better than Thigpen or anyone coming out of this draft.

:LOL:

King_Chief_Fan
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM

oh oh, shitstorm is in the forecast....take cover

Valiant
01-30-2009, 02:51 PM

It is all up to Cassel.. He knows what he is worth now and I don't see him working with the Pats to help them cap wise if he wants to get paid.. And who wouldn't a smart player can live off that the rest of their life..

If he does get franchised the Pats are screwed, they Carl Peterson'd I mean pigeon holed themselves into this.. Either they get some team to jump the gun and overpay/overcompensate for the guy or get stuck with paying out the ass for him.. And IF a big IF, he leads a already stacked team to the playoffs or dear god a super bowl win then they are really fucked..

That will be a double whammy, then it shows you that maybe it is the system and they have to franchise him again and trade Brady, of course I said that was a big IF..

Sidenote, this also could not hurt if we have the uncapped year if no agreement is met..

Fritz88
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
forget about Cassel

Wilson8
01-31-2009, 01:11 AM
Scheduled to become a free agent when NFL free agency begins February 27th.
Has David Dunn as his sports agent, the same as Green Bay Packers Aaron Rogers.
Looking for a contract similar to what Aaron Rogers received, 6 year $65MM.
Matt Ryan received a 6 year $72MM.
Matt Schaub received a 6 year $48MM deal.
Matt Cassel would need a contract at least like Schaub’s.
For NE to keep Cassel they have to re-sign or franchise or he becomes FA.
Franchise 2009 QB will cost 14.65MM.
NE has Tom Brady, Matt Gutierrez, and last year’s 3rd rd pick, Kevin O’Connell.
NE doesn’t have other players that they need the franchise tag for this year.
NE will put the franchise tag on Matt Cassel.
NE will delay trade on Matt Cassel until they know more about Brady’s health.
KC, Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, St. Louis are in market for QB.
The NFL draft is April 25 so teams interested in Cassel will want to do trade before then.
NE does not want to commit the money to another QB.
NE will trade Matt Cassel for the best offer.
Signing Matt Cassel will cost less than Stafford or Sanchez.
Detroit or St. Louis trading for Matt Cassel would help QB draft.

Chiefaholic
01-31-2009, 04:26 AM
I'de rather go into the season with Thigpen than waste a high pick for Cassell. I don't think he's nearly as good as the media has him hyped up to be. We can land far better talent with our top 3 picks in the draft than we'll get in return for Cassell.

MikeMaslowski
01-31-2009, 04:30 AM
wow...franchise a backup qb... that would be sweet as hell for him. get paid almost 15 mil to practice. practice.

practice?

the Talking Can
01-31-2009, 05:21 AM
it's my dream that detroit will move for cassell....leaving us the QBs to chose from

Amnorix
01-31-2009, 06:30 AM
It is all up to Cassel.. He knows what he is worth now and I don't see him working with the Pats to help them cap wise if he wants to get paid.. And who wouldn't a smart player can live off that the rest of their life..

If he does get franchised the Pats are screwed, they Carl Peterson'd I mean pigeon holed themselves into this.. Either they get some team to jump the gun and overpay/overcompensate for the guy or get stuck with paying out the ass for him.. And IF a big IF, he leads a already stacked team to the playoffs or dear god a super bowl win then they are really ****ed..

That will be a double whammy, then it shows you that maybe it is the system and they have to franchise him again and trade Brady, of course I said that was a big IF..

Sidenote, this also could not hurt if we have the uncapped year if no agreement is met..

You have a very odd outlook on this. I don't think either the Patriots or most Pats fans agree. In your view, it almost would have been better for the Patriots for Cassell to have sucked last year so we could just cut him.

He's either insurance for Brady or trade bait. Obviously some team will give up something for him. If the Pats just want to trade him, then they will take the best offer they can get. If they want him for Brady-insurance, then they don't trade him.

And Belichick is still the Red Auerbach to Pats-fans. He's done too many things right to let one bad thing ruin him among our fans. We know he won't be traded to the Jests, and if he succeeds with the Lions or Chiefs or Browns or whoever, nobody around here will scream.

Chieftain58
01-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Matt Cassel said he's received "no indications" from the Patriots about the possible use of the franchise tag.

Cassel also went on to say that the two sides haven't talked a contract extenison and he doesn't know what his "strategy" will be if the Patriots use the tag. Cassel could choose to sign the tendered contract quickly to guarantee the money. We suspect the Patriots will use the tag on him.

Why the hell would they use the tag on him?

Fat Elvis
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE.

Over-Head
02-01-2009, 12:01 AM
He was paid only $520,000 this season, and let's not forget that when he took the Patriots' reins expectations for him were nil, and he was the target of scathing satire and sarcasm.
Far cry from the 60 mill dud we bought

MadMax
02-01-2009, 12:29 AM
forget about Cassel

Yes dear God please. All this Cassel talk is nauseating.:Lin:

Wilson8
02-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Because there's a high probability that some team would give up draft picks and or a player to get him. New England also doesn't have another player they need the franchise tag for. As-long-as they trade him away, they will not have to pay him. Part of the deal would be the other team creates a new contract and Cassel would sign it. As-long-as it is a trade, the other team trades whatever both teams agree upon. It does not have to be a 1st round pick. If Detroit and New England work out a deal for Detroit's 3rd round pick, New England at least has a draft pick for Matt. The worst case for New England is no team wants to trade for him. If that is the case the Patriots either keep him for the 14.65MM or they drop the franchise tag, making Matt a free agent. If NE drops the tag they cannot use the franchise tag on another player for that year.

MahiMike
02-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I'd rather have Matt ****ing Schaub then Matt ****ing Cassell.

Why?

MahiMike
02-01-2009, 11:02 AM
When Cassell is winning games for us next year and Stafford's Lions are still 0-10, you'll be glad Pioli knew what he was doing.

wazu
02-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Matt Cassel said he's received "no indications" from the Patriots about the possible use of the franchise tag.

Cassel also went on to say that the two sides haven't talked a contract extenison and he doesn't know what his "strategy" will be if the Patriots use the tag. Cassel could choose to sign the tendered contract quickly to guarantee the money. We suspect the Patriots will use the tag on him.

Cassel would be nuts to not sign the offer immediately if it happens. 14 million, most likely for holding a clipboard and cheering from the sidelines. The following year, he signs the big free-agent deal.

Wilson8
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Cassel would be nuts to not sign the offer immediately if it happens. 14 million, most likely for holding a clipboard and cheering from the sidelines. The following year, he signs the big free-agent deal.

That is a good point I never thought about. Usually there is a several week delay between the tag being applied and the player signing. What happens if New England applies the tag and Cassel signs it day one? Does New England owe Cassel 14.65MM and can he even be traded?

wazu
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
That is a good point I never thought about. Usually there is a several week delay between the tag being applied and the player signing. What happens if New England applies the tag and Cassel signs it day one? Does New England owe Cassel 14.65MM and can he even be traded?

My guess is that he can still be traded, but the team he is traded to takes over the contract. (And most likely renegotiates a long term deal immediately.)

milkman
02-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Since there is no signing bonus involved, if he's traded before the season, then his salary comes off their books and doesn't impact that cap in any way.

The team trading for him would have to renegotiate his contract.

It would essentially work the same way as if he didn't sign the franchise tender.

FD
02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
If Pioli wasn't running things, I would have ZERO interest in Cassel. That said, if he decides the guy can succeed and is worth what we'd have to pay, I put full trust in that decision.

Marco Polo
02-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Scheduled to become a free agent when NFL free agency begins February 27th.
Has David Dunn as his sports agent, the same as Green Bay Packers Aaron Rogers.
Looking for a contract similar to what Aaron Rogers received, 6 year $65MM.
Matt Ryan received a 6 year $72MM.
Matt Schaub received a 6 year $48MM deal.
Matt Cassel would need a contract at least like Schaub’s.
For NE to keep Cassel they have to re-sign or franchise or he becomes FA.
Franchise 2009 QB will cost 14.65MM.
NE has Tom Brady, Matt Gutierrez, and last year’s 3rd rd pick, Kevin O’Connell.
NE doesn’t have other players that they need the franchise tag for this year.
NE will put the franchise tag on Matt Cassel.
NE will delay trade on Matt Cassel until they know more about Brady’s health.
KC, Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, St. Louis are in market for QB.
The NFL draft is April 25 so teams interested in Cassel will want to do trade before then.
NE does not want to commit the money to another QB.
NE will trade Matt Cassel for the best offer.
Signing Matt Cassel will cost less than Stafford or Sanchez.
Detroit or St. Louis trading for Matt Cassel would help QB draft.

This.

Wilson8
02-01-2009, 12:40 PM
From NFLPA…

” A player who is in the unrestricted category will have his free agency rights restricted if he is designated as either a Transition Player or a Franchise Player. A player subject to the transition designation must be offered the average of the top ten salaries (league-wide) at his position, and he is subject only to a right of first refusal by his old club. The franchise or transition player category can be used throughout the term of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, but clubs can only have one franchise or transition player at a given point in time. The franchise designation requires an offer equal to the average of the top five salaries league-wide in the player's position. If the club does not want to offer this tender, it can make a transition player tender, and retain only a right of first refusal. The CBA also provides for a salary guarantee for any franchise or transition player who accepts the one-year tender. This is a significant benefit for the player, since he is assured of receiving the entire tender amount for the next season even if the club decides not to keep him and that also provides an incentive for the club to sign him to a longer-term contract with a big signing bonus."

Matt Cassel’s market value would be damaged with another year of sitting on the bench behind Tom Brady. 14.65MM million for one year of being franchised or a 5 or 6 year contract for 50 to 60 million is what Matt gets on the open FA market. Cassel has been saying all of the right things for New England and saying he would play behind Tom Brady but I would think he would be much better off with going to free agency. He gets paid more over a few years and he gets to start by getting into free agency. Teams looking for a QB also would benefit by Cassel going to FA since they would not have to give up a draft pick. They would have to pay more money since it becomes open bidding between several teams.

So…

It seems that Matt Cassel’s agent needs to play a game of chicken with New England and say if you franchise Cassel, we are signing the offer as soon as we can with the hope that New England does not franchise him.

Basileus777
02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
It seems that Matt Cassel’s agent needs to play a game of chicken with New England and say if you franchise Cassel, we are signing the offer as soon as we can with the hope that New England does not franchise him.

No. Cassel signing the franchise tender doesn't hurt the Pats because if they trade him they still don't have to pay him.