PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFW: Ending Edwards era was lone option for Chiefs' Pioli

FringeNC
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Ending Edwards era was lone option for Chiefs' Pioli (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Kansas+City/WWHI/2008/wwhi013009.htm)

Although Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards was in good standing with owner Clark Hunt and, from what we hear, new GM Scott Pioli as well, in the end there were three main reasons why he was fired. First of all, Edwards’ 15-33 record, which included 23 losses in his last 25 games, was simply too glaringly poor to ignore. Even without top talent, his .313 winning percentage wasn’t acceptable. Secondly, the team’s often dreadful play during Edwards’ tenure had made him an enemy of many Chiefs supporters.

Had they retained him, it would have further alienated an already disgruntled fan base. Finally, if K.C. chose to allow Edwards to finish out the final year of his contract, it would’ve been clear to all involved that he was just keeping the position warm until all the big names became available in 2010. Since Pioli didn’t want to begin his term with a lame-duck coach, cutting the cord with Edwards was really the franchise’s only option.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
And I'm OK with all of that.

King_Chief_Fan
01-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Ending Edwards era was lone option for Chiefs' Pioli (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Kansas+City/WWHI/2008/wwhi013009.htm)

Although Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards was in good standing with owner Clark Hunt and, from what we hear, new GM Scott Pioli as well, in the end there were three main reasons why he was fired. First of all, Edwards’ 15-33 record, which included 23 losses in his last 25 games, was simply too glaringly poor to ignore. Even without top talent, his .313 winning percentage wasn’t acceptable. Secondly, the team’s often dreadful play during Edwards’ tenure had made him an enemy of many Chiefs supporters.

Had they retained him, it would have further alienated an already disgruntled fan base. Finally, if K.C. chose to allow Edwards to finish out the final year of his contract, it would’ve been clear to all involved that he was just keeping the position warm until all the big names became available in 2010. Since Pioli didn’t want to begin his term with a lame-duck coach, cutting the cord with Edwards was really the franchise’s only option.

yes indeed

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I have a booger on my finger

CoMoChief
01-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Water is wet.

Christofire
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I disagree with the notion that fan alienation would affect his decision. To me, that sounds like the kind of criticism that people would throw at Carl -- i.e., his decisions were based on improving ticket sales and making money for the Hunts. I could see Herm's record possibly being an issue. We'll get a better idea if team building philosophy was a major factor after a coach is hired and players are starting to be acquired.

raybec 4
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
I disagree with the notion that fan alienation would affect his decision. To me, that sounds like the kind of criticism that people would throw at Carl -- i.e., his decisions were based on improving ticket sales and making money for the Hunts. I could see Herm's record possibly being an issue. We'll get a better idea if team building philosophy was a major factor after a coach is hired and players are starting to be acquired.

IMO fan alienation and ticket sales are the same issue. Winning is the top priority, win and they will sell tickets because the fans will be happy. Herm was not capable of winning.

HemiEd
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I followed the Chiefs through all of their Coaches, granted not very much of the Hank Stram era.

But Herm Fucking Edwards is the first one to ever make me want to piss fire, shit jalapenos, and kick my beloved dog.

Herm Edwards was the worst coach in this franchise's history, nobody else was even close. Not even Frank Ganz or Gunther!

Mama Hip Rockets
01-30-2009, 12:35 PM
this is earth-shattering news.

Otter
01-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I followed the Chiefs through all of their Coaches, granted not very much of the Hank Stram era.

But Herm ****ing Edwards is the first one to ever make me want to piss fire, shit jalapenos, and kick my beloved dog.

Herm Edwards was the worst coach in this franchise's history, nobody else was even close. Not even Frank Ganz or Gunther!

Yeah, it wasn't just lack of talent. Dude was an idiot.

If he's ever a head coach in this league again I'll be amazed. Thank God him and Carl are gone, those two deserved each other. It's like getting a new lease as a Chiefs fan.

bluehawkdoc
This team laid a big, fat egg in the last few games. Up until then, they were at least competing. Herm had to go. The players were no longer drinking his KoolAid. Keeping him would have been a disaster for all involved.

Mama Hip Rockets
But Herm ****ing Edwards is the first one to ever make me want to piss fire, shit jalapenos, and kick my beloved dog.

ROFL

beach tribe
Agreed. Worst game day coach I have ever seen.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-30-2009, 06:59 PM
We should all visit the Jets board and tell them "I told you so"

Wait!

TEX
01-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Agreed. Worst game day coach I have ever seen.

Agreed. Many of us felt that way even before he came to the Chiefs.

beavis
01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Whoever wrote this should be working for WPI.

Fat Elvis
01-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Whoever wrote this should be working for WPI.

Nah. WPI would of included the disclaimer that they have been sitting on this info for weeks and could only now let it leak to the public.

Color Red
01-31-2009, 12:55 AM
There has not been said enough about the obvious: when you would decide to fire him, who would you replace him with? And it remains a concern, Rooney Rule aside. No one wants to hire a Wayne Fonts. You could fall back to calling on Shanny, but not without emptying the Brinks truck.

Face it: he's the candidate that couldn't be interviewed, but if there wasn't a strong feeling that Haley could be the guy, we'd really be scratching around looking for the ghost of Marty Schottenheimer. You've got to admit: for a guy who may be candidating for what would be his first NFL head coaching position, I would expect Haley will be in a remarkably strong and unique position from which to negotiate.

And ahem, ...especially so if the Cardinals win on Sunday.

Red Dawg
01-31-2009, 08:20 AM
This was the KIngs final mistake and now it's over. Hoorah!

JuicesFlowing
01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
ESPN: One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Dave Lane
01-31-2009, 09:50 AM

Totally agree incredible stupidity.