PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are there any remaining Potential Chief HOF'ers??

KcKing
01-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Been thinking about this for awhile... Even checked the all-time rosters for players that could potentially make it as a Senior Nominee. I don't see anyone personally. Maybe Neil Smith in the Senior Group... Is there anyone i'm missing?

Ultra Peanut
01-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Tony Gonzalez
Tyler Thigpen

ChiefsCountry
01-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Otis Taylor
Johnny Robinson

DaKCMan AP
01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Will Shields better be a first ballot guy.

KcKing
01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Tyler Thigpen

:doh!:

How could I forget...

TG will get in... I think I was just looking at retired/ex players...

Nice Call

Over-Head
01-31-2009, 09:06 PM
... Is there anyone i'm missing?
Ken Stabler

KcKing
01-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Will Shields better be a first ballot guy.

Guess I wasn't thinkin very well at all...

Will is in no doubt...

:doh!::doh!::doh!::doh!::doh!:

KcKing
01-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Ken Stabler

He's content in the Mugshot Hall of Fame...

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2008/6/9/548485/ken-stabler-arrested-for-d

Claynus
01-31-2009, 09:10 PM
What do you want to bet Carl Peterson gets a nomination?

Mecca
01-31-2009, 09:11 PM
From what I've seen in recent years I would not be surprised if Gonzalez and Shields were made to wait a year or 2...

I know Gonzalez has records but no playoff wins and the HOF committee holds not playing in a Superbowl against players.

Nzoner
01-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Otis Taylor

:thumb:

DeezNutz
01-31-2009, 09:14 PM
From what I've seen in recent years I would not be surprised if Gonzalez and Shields were made to wait a year or 2...

I know Gonzalez has records but no playoff wins and the HOF committee holds not playing in a Superbowl against players.

I didn't think Gonzo would have to wait, but the Sharpe deal might signal otherwise.

Dude doesn't have the level of play but has the rings. Tony has all the skill and no rings. Might be a decent comparison.

I don't want this to happen, nor do I think it should, but it might...

ChiefsCountry
01-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Recent or Current Chiefs
Tony Gonzalez
Will Shields
Willie Roaf
Ty Law

Blast from the Past
Otis Taylor
Johnny Robinson

Thats about it from what I see.

Buck
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
maybe donnie edwards???

Mecca
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I didn't think Gonzo would have to wait, but the Sharpe deal might signal otherwise.

Dude doesn't have the level of play but has the rings. Tony has all the skill and no rings. Might be a decent comparison.

I don't want this to happen, nor do I think it should, but it might...

Sharpe had all the records and 3 rings and didn't get in the 1st time....

I think it has more to do with the position they are playing than anything, I honestly think the committee will end up not putting Gonzalez in the first time. If he ends up never being on a team that even wins a playoff game that is going to be severely held against him.

DaKCMan AP
01-31-2009, 09:22 PM

Randall McDaniel had to wait 2 years, mostly because Bruce Matthews and Gary Zimmerman went in '07 and '08 and Shields resume is stronger.

cdcox
01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
maybe donnie edwards???

ROFL

LMAO

:shake:

One time pro-bowlers don't go to the HOF.

Basileus777
01-31-2009, 09:29 PM

I think it has more to do with the position they are playing than anything, I honestly think the committee will end up not putting Gonzalez in the first time. If he ends up never being on a team that even wins a playoff game that is going to be severely held against him.

The Hall clearly doesn't value TEs, even Ditka didn't get in immediately. That said, I think Tony is still going in first ballot depending on who else is in that class. I don't think the committee is going to make a big deal about his lack of postseason success, he's a TE. Gonzalez is consensus HOFer in a way Sharpe has never been, rings or not. He helped redefine the position and he'll be the one TE that won't have to worry.

Ebolapox
01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Recent or Current Chiefs
Tony Gonzalez
Will Shields
Willie Roaf
Ty Law

Blast from the Past
Otis Taylor
Johnny Robinson

Thats about it from what I see.

This. donnie edwards is marginally possible... there's little to no chance that priest holmes will make it I just don't see it). if LJ gets his act together and becomes what he was 2-3 years ago (1700 yards a year) back, tonnes of TDs), and we SOMEHOW win a playoff game or two (or, gasp, a super bowl), there's an outside chance that he gets in. he has 5600 career yards--let's say he has 3-4 years left, cleans up his act, and begins to actually put forth the effort to go along with his talent... let's say he has three years left at 1200 yards... if he gets to 9200 yards and we win a super bowl, he may make it in after five or six years.

but, teh LJ scenario is so unlikely that it's almost laughable.

DeezNutz
01-31-2009, 09:31 PM

Emphasis on the had, and that's what I was getting at.

I think you're right, but the position they're playing should obviate the priority being placed on SB's, or even playoff victories.

As much as KC fans salivate at the thought of Tony G., he's a ****ing TE. It would be a lot more damning for a QB, for example, never to win playoff game than it would be a TE.

He's been great at his position, and much of the lack of overall team success has, quite literally, been out of his hands.

For the record, I think it's a joke that Sharpe wasn't inducted.

Basileus777
Donnie has no chance, he's not even a candidate.

"Bob" Dobbs
T Rich, maybe?

Claynus
01-31-2009, 09:32 PM
T Rich, maybe?

Fuck no.

Maybe Chiefs ring of fame.

chop
01-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Rich Scanlon

Over-Head
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
He's content in the Mugshot Hall of Fame...

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2008/6/9/548485/ken-stabler-arrested-for-d
He's a Raider for fucks sakes!

milkman
01-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Ken Stabler

Won't get any argument from me.

I think he belongs.

Halfcan
01-31-2009, 10:12 PM

ROFL Tg is the Greatest TE ever-and his name is always prefaced with (future Hofer) he will get in 1st try.

milkman
01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
This. donnie edwards is marginally possible... there's little to no chance that priest holmes will make it I just don't see it). if LJ gets his act together and becomes what he was 2-3 years ago (1700 yards a year) back, tonnes of TDs), and we SOMEHOW win a playoff game or two (or, gasp, a super bowl), there's an outside chance that he gets in. he has 5600 career yards--let's say he has 3-4 years left, cleans up his act, and begins to actually put forth the effort to go along with his talent... let's say he has three years left at 1200 yards... if he gets to 9200 yards and we win a super bowl, he may make it in after five or six years.

Donnie Edwards will get into the HoF when he buys a ticket to see the place, just like the rest of us.

Halfcan
01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Sharpe was not included because nobody wanted to hear him stumble through his induction speach-lol

Rain Man
01-31-2009, 10:16 PM
The Hall clearly doesn't value TEs, even Ditka didn't get in immediately. That said, I think Tony is still going in first ballot depending on who else is in that class. I don't think the committee is going to make a big deal about his lack of postseason success, he's a TE. Gonzalez is consensus HOFer in a way Sharpe has never been, rings or not. He helped redefine the position and he'll be the one TE that won't have to worry.

Even setting aside my disdain for the Bronco, Tony G. is in a different class. Tony G. has always been seen as the standard for tight ends, receiving, blocking, and everything else. The Bronco was generally seen as a big wide receiver.

Rain Man
01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Recall that Albert Lewis made the semifinals last year or the year before. He's got an outside shot.

I honestly don't understand why Deron Cherry doesn't get more support. The guy was a six-time pro bowler in a safety golden age where the Kenny Easleys and Ronnie Lotts were running around. He's got 50+ interceptions and was a great ballhawking safety.

I doubt that he's a viable candidate, but how many pro bowls did Kimble Anders have?

DaKCMan AP
01-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Recall that Albert Lewis made the semifinals last year or the year before. He's got an outside shot.

I honestly don't understand why Deron Cherry doesn't get more support. The guy was a six-time pro bowler in a safety golden age where the Kenny Easleys and Ronnie Lotts were running around. He's got 50+ interceptions and was a great ballhawking safety.

I doubt that he's a viable candidate, but how many pro bowls did Kimble Anders have?

3. He's not HOF worthy.

tk13
01-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Well it's obvious after today it's gonna be hard to get in as a TE, it will probably depend on just how badly Gonzo shatters the record book. I have no idea what his final stats will look like but if he puts significant distance between him and Sharpe maybe he's got a shot to be 1st ballot.

Shields really should be 1st ballot more than anyone, but we'll see. As we've seen sometimes who you're up against is important too.

Rain Man
01-31-2009, 10:38 PM
3. He's not HOF worthy.

Oh. I was thinking he was more in the five range, which would at least get him in a possible discussion. You're right. No chance for Kimble.

Deberg_1990
01-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Im gonna have to go with Mecca here,

TG and Shields will make it, but under the current process will have to wait at least 3 or 4 years.

TE and guard just are not that important of positions in relation to others.

Johnny Vegas
01-31-2009, 10:39 PM
the fans

Rain Man
01-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Well it's obvious after today it's gonna be hard to get in as a TE, it will probably depend on just how badly Gonzo shatters the record book. I have no idea what his final stats will look like but if he puts significant distance between him and Sharpe maybe he's got a shot to be 1st ballot.

Shields really should be 1st ballot more than anyone, but we'll see. As we've seen sometimes who you're up against is important too.

I wonder if any guard will ever be a first ballot. It's hard for those guys to compete against the glamour positions.

DaKCMan AP
01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Why Tony is a 1st ballot HOF and Sharpe isn't:

Sharpe:
14 seasons
815 receptions
10,060 yards
62 TDs
8 Pro Bowls
3x 1st team All-Pro
0 records

Gonzalez:
12 seasons
916 receptions
10,940 yards
76 TDs
10 Pro Bowls
6x First Team All-Pro
league records:

Receptions in a single season for a tight end (102, 2004 season, led NFL in 2004)
Career receiving yards for a tight end (10,940 as of December 30, 2008)
Career receptions for a tight end (916 as of December 30, 2008)
Career receiving touchdowns for a tight end (76 as of December 30, 2008)
Most seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards by a tight end (4)

DaKCMan AP
01-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I wonder if any guard will ever be a first ballot. It's hard for those guys to compete against the glamour positions.

Bruce Matthews was 1st ballot.

Shaid
01-31-2009, 10:46 PM

No chance at all with Donnie. Priest has a much better chance than Donnie with setting the TD record, etc. but I doubt he makes it. I agree entirely on LJ, the potential probably was there and maybe a new coach will do something to light a fire under his ass and actually make him hungry again but I doubt it. He probably isn't even a Chief in the near future.

Shaid
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
For the record, I think it's a joke that Sharpe wasn't inducted.

Completely agree, he should have made it in. I still can't stand that people say he is better than Tony because he just flat out isn't.

DaKCMan AP
01-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Completely agree, he should have made it in. I still can't stand that people say he is better than Tony because he just flat out isn't.

In the contest to pick the inductees I had it all right except I had Sharpe instead of Wilson.

Boon
01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd like to see Otis Taylor make it.

Rain Man
01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Bruce Matthews was 1st ballot.

Good point. I was about to argue that he was a tackle first, but in looking it up, he wasn't. For some reason I thought he was a tackle who eventually moved in to guard and then center, but he was apparently never their regular tackle, despite starting 39 games at LT and RT over the years.

So a guard who plays 19 years with 14 pro bowls can get in on the first ballot.

cdcox
01-31-2009, 11:03 PM
In the contest to pick the inductees I had it all right except I had Sharpe instead of Wilson.

Wilson is in failing health and it was Bruce Smith's first year. I thought the two of them might also pull in Andre Reed. I got 4 right: Smith, Wilson, Woodson, and Hayes.

chop
01-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Why Tony is a 1st ballot HOF and Sharpe isn't:

Sharpe:
14 seasons
815 receptions
10,060 yards
62 TDs
8 Pro Bowls
3x 1st team All-Pro
0 records

Gonzalez:
12 seasons
916 receptions
10,940 yards
76 TDs
10 Pro Bowls
6x First Team All-Pro
league records:

Receptions in a single season for a tight end (102, 2004 season, led NFL in 2004)
Career receiving yards for a tight end (10,940 as of December 30, 2008)
Career receptions for a tight end (916 as of December 30, 2008)
Career receiving touchdowns for a tight end (76 as of December 30, 2008)
Most seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards by a tight end (4)

But Sharpe has the jewry (I spelled it the way it sounds when Sharpe says it).

chop
01-31-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't see how a guy that will pretty much have all the records for his position is not a 1st ballot guy.

cdcox
01-31-2009, 11:05 PM
I'd like to see Otis Taylor make it.

I think he'll get a shot from the old timer's committee within the next several years.

Ebolapox
01-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Even setting aside my disdain for the Bronco, Tony G. is in a different class. Tony G. has always been seen as the standard for tight ends, receiving, blocking, and everything else. The Bronco was generally seen as a big wide receiver.

s'funny you should mention mushmouth being a big WR... I went back and was looking at some old football cards, and on his 1991 pacific football card, he's listed at WR. let's see if I can find an image of it online...

...couldn't find it, but this backs up my point...

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/017/525/09b.jpg

BigRock
01-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Let's examine the most important stat of all:

LIVES SAVED

Tony Gonzalez: +2 (that we know of)
Shannon Sharpe: -7 (CBS viewers driven to suicide)

Sam Hall
01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
It would be an outrage if Gonzalez isn't a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He's done everything he can do to get a Super Bowl win. The team has always had major issues that prevented it from winning a Super Bowl. He has never been part of the problem.

It would also be an outrage if Shields isn't a first-ballot Hall of Famer, but I can see it because guards are easy to ignore. It's still BS.

dj56dt58
01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Tony G is first ballot and theres no doubt in my mind about that, I think Shields and Roaf are also first ballot

blueballs
01-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Marty and DV both have shots
enough votes is another matter

ChiefsCountry
01-31-2009, 11:42 PM
I think he'll get a shot from the old timer's committee within the next several years.

With Bullet Bob Hayes getting in I think Otis has a good shot.

unothadeal
01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Brian Waters?

Thig Lyfe
02-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Rashaan Shehee.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Gonzalez is a media friendly guy with no blots on his record. He'll be 1st ballot. Shields will have to wait a year or two.

I still can't believe Carter and Sharpe didn't get in.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
And there is no way Deron Cherry, Kimble Anders, Brian Waters, Priest, Donnie Edwards, or Tony Richardson should even be mentioned for the HOF. It's not going to happen.

Do you really think Lorenzo Neal is a HOFer? He's a better FB than Tony or Kimble.
Is Edge James a HOFer? He's had a better career than Priest.
There are probably 10-15 active linebackers who've had better careers than Donnie.
And do you think Waters will get a HOF nod when people compare his career to Shields, Faneca, Hutchinson, among others?

cdcox
02-01-2009, 12:32 AM
With Bullet Bob Hayes getting in I think Otis has a good shot.

Yep. Two guys with similar stats. They were both freaks: Hayes with speed; Taylor with size.

I'm thinking that Hayes getting in will help Taylor's chances if/when Taylor comes up.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Bob Hayes is far more memorable due to the fact that he played in Dallas and won a gold medal.

It's stupid, but it's true.

Claynus
02-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Bob Hayes was so fast they invented the zone defense. He's deserving.

RustShack
02-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Dick Vermiel

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2009, 01:01 AM
A player who was good enough to be in Hall but wont even get a sniff would be Jim Tyrer. Mainly bc he shot himself and his wife. But with his play he would be hall worthy but his off the field stuff will override anything that he did on it.

sportsman1
02-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Andre Rison should be! lol j/k

Buck
02-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Donnie Edwards:

197 Games Played
1511 Tackles
23.5 Sacks
28 Interceptions
6 Touchdowns
15 Forced Fumbles
84 Passes Deflected

He has some pretty good numbers, if you ask me.

sportsman1
02-01-2009, 01:36 AM
No way any more HOF worthy than Priest Holmes. Donnie was decent for many years, PH was very good for a few years. That about balances out. Donnie was a soild MLB just not a HOF MLB.

Mecca
02-01-2009, 01:56 AM
I know it sucks to say this but if Tony Gonzalez is never even apart of a playoff win he's going to be penalized..

The NFL HOF rewards players that played for great teams over great players that played for bad teams for the most part.

Short Leash Hootie
02-01-2009, 02:29 AM
mecca is a faggot

milkman
02-01-2009, 05:31 AM
A player who was good enough to be in Hall but wont even get a sniff would be Jim Tyrer. Mainly bc he shot himself and his wife. But with his play he would be hall worthy but his off the field stuff will override anything that he did on it.

It's a damn shame too, cause when he retired he was considered by most at the time to be the best ever to play his position.

theorangelion
02-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Will Shields.

DTLB58
02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I know it sucks to say this but if Tony Gonzalez is never even apart of a playoff win he's going to be penalized..

The NFL HOF rewards players that played for great teams over great players that played for bad teams for the most part.

You are right they do, but, Tony G is a first time HOF entry.

DTLB58
02-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Will Shields.

:clap:

DTLB58
02-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Dick Vermiel

This should happen.

milkman
02-01-2009, 09:10 AM
This should happen.

It probably will, but it won't be because of anything he ever did as the Chiefs coach, and as a Chief fan I won't own him as a Chief HoFer.

nychief
02-01-2009, 09:16 AM
DINO HACKETT