PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Trifecta - Pioli, Thomas, Cowher

Count Zarth
01-31-2009, 09:41 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/835287.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Early returns in 2009 have proven fruitful for Kansas City Chiefs fans. With the ouster of Carl Peterson in December, the arrival of Scott Pioli in January, and the final note playing out on the great career of Derrick Thomas, there is only one thing left for the Chiefs to do Ė hire Bill Cowher as the teamís 11th head coach and complete the trifecta.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
Iím not big into horse racing. But once about 20 years ago, I placed a bet at a racetrack. As I didnít know anything about betting money on horses, my friend instructed me to pick three horses to win, place and show.

I looked at the field and randomly selected three horses to win, place and show. After picking them without any thought or plan, I placed my $5 wager and proceeded to land the trifecta.

The same goes today. The Chiefs landed one-third of the trifecta when Clark Hunt won the race by enticing Scott Pioli (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3933332) to come to Kansas City.

Hunt did it by methodically and diligently studying for his initial meeting with Pioli. He had a calculated plan that would convince him to leave New England, despite the fact that few thought heíd do just that.

Pioli then began to unravel and evaluate the Chiefs organization. His first task was to decide the fate of Herm Edwards. It became clear as assistant coaches began to land jobs in other NFL cities that Pioli would likely be in the market for a new head coach soon.

Indeed that was the case, and as Super Bowl week began, nobody knew for sure what direction Pioli would take in his search for the head coach.

But as a distraction, on Saturday, the late Thomas made the final cut and took his place in the Hall of Fame. After several attempts, Bob Gretz successfully convinced the Hall of Fame selection committee that it was time to add Thomas.

When the moment had passed, I received a text from the biggest Derrick Thomas fan Iíve ever met. After DTís selection, I could read in the fanís words what it meant to him and all the other Chiefs fans that Thomas finally has a permanent Place in the Hall of Fame.

With the second part of the trifecta in hand, there is only one horse left that has to cross the finish line Ė Bill Cowher.

If Cowher saw Clark Hunt accept the Hall of Fame selection for Thomas today, it had to bring back memories of their time together in Kansas City. Cowher was Marty Schottenheimerís defensive coordinator from 1989 to 1991.

Those three years defined Thomas, who went on to become one of the NFLís premier pass rushers of all time. Now Cowher has the opportunity to shock the league by being the darkest of all dark horses - to come out of retirement and become KCís next head coach despite the fact that few believe it will happen.

Cowher talk has cooled recently because of the fact every NFL expert believes Pioli will hire Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Heís certainly become the darling in the search for the next Chiefsí head coach.

Not many people believe Cowher is even in this race. Heís stated he wonít coach until 2010, if then. All signs point away from the Chiefs. But why not dream a little as this race nears its end?

Next week the Chiefs will likely announce their new head coach. While Haley is the hot name, there isnít any question that Cowher is the best candidate to lead the new Chiefs. He has history in Kansas City and from all accounts loved the area.

He fits the veteran-coach mold that Pioli is comfortable with and has a tremendous amount of respect for the Hunt family.

Will it happen? Most feel itís not likely, but as this race closes, I want to see Cowher come up from the rear of the pack, position himself behind Pioli and Thomas, and finish the most important race in Chiefs history. I want to see the trifecta completed once again.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

cdcox
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Tetrafecta = Trifecta - Cowher + a young coach for Pioli to mind meld with + Sanchez

Count Zarth
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Tetrafecta = Trifecta - Cowher + a young coach for Pioli to mind meld with + Sanchez

Tetrafuckingawesome!

DeezNutz
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM

Dude, newspapers are written at a sixth-grade level for reasons. Don't be responsible for a great deal of Planet angst.

T-post Tom
01-31-2009, 09:53 PM
"I want to see Cowher come up from the rear of the pack, position himself behind Pioli and Thomas, and finish.."

What's up with the homo-erotica? Did the board change themes?

KCChiefsFan88
01-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Tetra****ingawesome!

I see you have left the pro-Shanahan movement.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
I will pull the hairs out of my testicles if Todd Haley is the next coach of the Chiefs.

clyde05
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
whos scott haley?

DeezNutz
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
I will pull the hairs out of my testicles if Todd Haley is the next coach of the Chiefs.

See the manscaping thread.

DeezNutz
01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
whos scott haley?

GoChiefs, you should edit that, if you can.

Count Zarth
01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
whos scott haley?

A figment of your imagination.

BigRock
01-31-2009, 10:16 PM
there isnít any question that Cowher is the best candidate to lead the new Chiefs. He has history in Kansas City and from all accounts loved the area.

Well, you can't argue with that logic.

Shaid
01-31-2009, 11:09 PM

So a normal Saturday night then?

Deberg_1990
01-31-2009, 11:14 PM
So now Nick and Claythan are pimping Cowher?? Havent u guys learned your lesson?

Count Zarth
01-31-2009, 11:20 PM
So now Nick and Claythan are pimping Cowher?? Havent u guys learned your lesson?

I'm not pimping anyone. He may want Cowher in KC but he's hardly predicting anything. In fact, Nick has not predicted anyone would be Chiefs head coach through this entire process.

greg63
01-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Won't happen. Cowher has made it clear that he has no interest in coaching right now.

morphius
Thats what we need, more talk about Cowher. This is just getting painful.

blueballs
Carl out
Clark exposing the size of his balls/desire to win
DT in HOF

Deberg_1990
01-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Nick has not predicted anyone would be Chiefs head coach through this entire process.

THE DEAL IS DONE

greg63
01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Thats what we need, more talk about Cowher. This is just getting painful.

Agreed.

Rausch
01-31-2009, 11:32 PM

I'm not a fan either.

He strikes me as a hothead with a childish nature.

greg63
01-31-2009, 11:37 PM

I have it on good authority that this is a tried and proven process.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm not a fan either.

He strikes me as a hothead with a childish nature.

Exactly. The last thing anyone needs is someone who is going to blow up and lose their composure at a critical point during a game. He is unstable IMO.

KCrockaholic
01-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Exactly. The last thing anyone needs is someone who is going to blow up and lose their composure at a critical point during a game. He is unstable IMO.

unstable? WTH? you saw him not take a players B.S. in one playoff game. That is the only thing you have seen out of him. give me an example of when Haley was "unstable" during a game? He did the coaches job. Kept things in order of how he wants them met.

BigRock
02-01-2009, 12:23 AM

We need more coaches who cry and give hugs.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Don't be fuckin retarded. He's gotten into a screaming match with a player on the sideline with two different teams now. Scream in the locker room before and after. How about concentrating on the game before you.

AZORChiefFan
02-01-2009, 12:40 AM
So I called my cousin today to inform him that DT was selected to the HoF.

The following is a complete rumor, I know this and I don't think it's true but here it is.

5 min later he called me back to tell me that Cowher will be the Chiefs head coach. I asked him how he knew this. He said his friend called him and said something along the lines of "His dad or FiL works at the car dealer that supplies the Chiefs with cars and that Cowher or someone from his family was there finishing up the paperwork on a new car and that they couldn't announce anything till after the SB."

He even told my cousin that if it isn't true my cousin can "Punch him in the dick."

So the guy is putting his manhood on the line for this rumor. Either he is certain this is true or he's a masochist.

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Don't be ****in retarded. He's gotten into a screaming match with a player on the sideline with two different teams now. Scream in the locker room before and after. How about concentrating on the game before you.

TO and Boldin at the prima donna position in the NFL. Yet those guys still put up huge numbers and produced with him as a coach.

BigRock
02-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Don't be ****in retarded. He's gotten into a screaming match with a player on the sideline with two different teams now. Scream in the locker room before and after. How about concentrating on the game before you.

Yeah, if only Haley had been concentrating on the game, maybe the Cards would have scored the game-winning TD on that drive where he and Boldin were yelling at each other.

DenverChief
02-01-2009, 01:06 AM

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2009, 01:14 AM

The following is a complete rumor, I know this and I don't think it's true but here it is.

5 min later he called me back to tell me that Cowher will be the Chiefs head coach. I asked him how he knew this. He said his friend called him and said something along the lines of "His dad or FiL works at the car dealer that supplies the Chiefs with cars and that Cowher or someone from his family was there finishing up the paperwork on a new car and that they couldn't announce anything till after the SB."

He even told my cousin that if it isn't true my cousin can "Punch him in the dick."

So the guy is putting his manhood on the line for this rumor. Either he is certain this is true or he's a masochist.

So, not only would Cowher leave his cushy $2 million dollar a year studio job, his daughters in college in nearby New Jersey, his demands of running a franchise from top to bottom, he'd leave his cars as well.

:rolleyes:

A full, heavy duty COCKPUNCH is in order.

JFC.

When will this SHIT end?

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2009, 01:22 AM
So, not only would Cowher leave his cushy $2 million dollar a year studio job, his daughters in college in nearby New Jersey, his demands of running a franchise from top to bottom, he'd leave his cars as well.

:rolleyes:

A full, heavy duty COCKPUNCH is in order.

JFC.

When will this SHIT end?

While the rumor is bullshit, all of the coaching staff and the executives get a vehicle from Chevrolet ala a Suburban or Trail Blazer etc.

RustShack
02-01-2009, 01:26 AM
I really wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I have a feeling a lot of people will be shocked when they find out who it is.

Ultra Peanut
02-01-2009, 01:26 AM

So the guy is putting his manhood on the line for this rumor. Either he is certain this is true or he's a masochist.Okay gang,

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:05 AM
LMAO

When the rumor's not bull, give those nut hairs a pull.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:06 AM
When Haley's a' thuggin', Mr. Flopnuts starts tuggin'.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:07 AM
When it's proven no prank, Mr. Flopnuts must yank.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:09 AM
When Todd begins workin', Mr. Flopnuts starts jerkin'.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:11 AM
The Chiefs won't be suckin', when Mr. Flopnuts is pluckin'.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:12 AM
When Todd's number is called, Floppy's nuts will go bald.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Todd's demeanor is careless, but Flop's nut bag is hairless.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Haley may be dilatory, but Flop could use a depilatory.

FAX

FAX
02-01-2009, 02:17 AM
When the deal is concluded, Flop's balls get denuded.

FAX

Short Leash Hootie
02-01-2009, 02:19 AM
FAX

is awesome.

KcMizzou
02-01-2009, 02:24 AM
FAX

is awesome.LMAO Indeed.

kysirsoze
02-01-2009, 02:47 AM
FAX

is awesome.

:LOL:

Kyle DeLexus
02-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Great stuff FAX

Darth CarlSatan
02-01-2009, 03:34 AM
TO and Boldin at the prima donna position in the NFL. Yet those guys still put up huge numbers and produced with him as a coach.

I'm sticking with you on this. Some of the comments I see here regarding Haley are just flat-out hyperbole with a nice, large dash of assumption thrown in.

Some people are acting like Haley is the second coming of Gun or Krummy just because the guy exhibits some take no shit passion. Are we playing fucking badminton here?

I will say this until it is pounded in to every skeptics head:

The reason you will watch Kurt Warner play QB in a Super Bowl after eight shit years and at 37 years of age, and the reason you have seen and WILL see Fitzgerald make big plays in said Super Bowl, is because Todd Haley coached and death-marched their asses to Greatness.

Bank It!

Darth CarlSatan
02-01-2009, 03:52 AM
And one more thing:

I've never NOT been a fan of the idea of Cowher coaching the Chiefs. I've looked at the majority of the coaches we've had post-Stram, and aside from Marty, I don't see anything I like. And yes, that includes Dicky-Do.
I like Cowher's fire, intelligence, and method. I've actually done a bit of research and reading on the man.
I determine that Haley, though much younger and with much yet to learn, will be a very "Cowher"-type Coach, but coming from the offensive lineage.

And since WPI by proxy has put it's quasi-official stamp on Cowher; I know he WON'T be coming to Kansas City.

So I say let's take the younger version, and start "Rollin' like Bolan".

kstater
02-01-2009, 04:34 AM
WPI is going to be right. They name all potential head coaches, they're bound not to be wrong.

Danman
02-01-2009, 07:01 AM
I started pimping Haley while Schwartz, Spags, and Ryan were the popular choices here, but I don't know-I've been having a feeling it could be Cowher all week. I think he's everything in a coach that Pioli would look for. His teams were always big, tough, fast, and smart. There's the connection with Gailey, and the statements that Clark loves the Steelers way-what better way to run his organization like the Steelers than by hiring their former coach. I'd be very excited about the Chiefs future with the Chin.

Plus there's all those other indications you can't ignore. The real estate in Leawood, the car, the massage therapist, the caulking contractor, the astrologists, Yep, looks like all signs point to Cowher commin to KC.

Danman
02-01-2009, 07:03 AM
WPI is going to be right. They name all potential head coaches, they're bound not to be wrong.

If you say THE DEAL IS DONE about every candidate, you're bound to be right at least once and then be able to claim victory.

Darth CarlSatan
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I started pimping Haley while Schwartz, Spags, and Ryan were the popular choices here, but I don't know-I've been having a feeling it could be Cowher all week. I think he's everything in a coach that Pioli would look for. His teams were always big, tough, fast, and smart. There's the connection with Gailey, and the statements that Clark loves the Steelers way-what better way to run his organization like the Steelers than by hiring their former coach. I'd be very excited about the Chiefs future with the Chin.

Plus there's all those other indications you can't ignore. The real estate in Leawood, the car, the massage therapist, the caulking contractor, the astrologists, Yep, looks like all signs point to Cowher commin to KC.

LMAO

Since you're new here and may have missed it, the only red flag I've seen regarding Cowher is that he was not sitting in the analyst desk for the wild card and playoff games.

Where was he? What was he doing?

Rausch
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd nut myself like a loose fire hose if we got Cowher, but it ain't hap'nen...

Darth CarlSatan
02-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Hey, never count any possibility out when it comes to Pioli and his NSA approach to running the house.

Reerun_KC
02-01-2009, 12:03 PM

I would repeatly beat my nutsack with meat cleaver if Cowher is hired....

keg in kc
02-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Two out of three ain't bad?

Darth CarlSatan
02-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Two out of three ain't bad?

ROFL

chiefzilla1501
02-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm sticking with you on this. Some of the comments I see here regarding Haley are just flat-out hyperbole with a nice, large dash of assumption thrown in.

Some people are acting like Haley is the second coming of Gun or Krummy just because the guy exhibits some take no shit passion. Are we playing ****ing badminton here?

I will say this until it is pounded in to every skeptics head:

The reason you will watch Kurt Warner play QB in a Super Bowl after eight shit years and at 37 years of age, and the reason you have seen and WILL see Fitzgerald make big plays in said Super Bowl, is because Todd Haley coached and death-marched their asses to Greatness.

Bank It!

Yes, but he also has a really good head coach above him that learned a lot about how to handle players through Bill Cowher. I'm surprised nobody has given him credit for Warner and Fitzgerald, given that he is an offensive guy himself. Why do people think that just because he got in Boldin and Warner's face that he is the only guy managing these players?

I don't worry about Haley being Gun or Krumrie. I worry about him being Gruden. Gruden inherited a loaded team, took them to the Super Bowl, and has ever since been on a decline and it's largely because he has lost his team because they think he's a jerk.

Again, not saying Haley isn't the answer, but just saying he's not a flawless candidate.

Darth CarlSatan
02-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes, but he also has a really good head coach above him that learned a lot about how to handle players through Bill Cowher. I'm surprised nobody has given him credit for Warner and Fitzgerald, given that he is an offensive guy himself. Why do people think that just because he got in Boldin and Warner's face that he is the only guy managing these players?

I don't worry about Haley being Gun or Krumrie. I worry about him being Gruden. Gruden inherited a loaded team, took them to the Super Bowl, and has ever since been on a decline and it's largely because he has lost his team because they think he's a jerk.

Again, not saying Haley isn't the answer, but just saying he's not a flawless candidate.

He's not the only guy, but the stories I've heard regarding him and Fitz clearly point to Haley as being the main man behind his improvement.

Tiger's Fan
02-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I'd much rather have a head coach on the sideline thats calm and cool, with a stupid fucking gapping mouth thing going on, wondering where the fuck he is at the moment. Oh, nevermind, we just got rid of that particular mold of moronic coaching style. I'd say, lets try someone with an actual passion for the game. You know, someone that won't take a bunch of shit from some prima donna players. I understand thats not your cup o tea, but you don't have such great taste in head coaches after all.

penguinz
02-01-2009, 01:27 PM
You could at least come up with your own Title. The Trifecta (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/component/content/article/2-barryinstlouis/8-the-trifecta)

Count Zarth
02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
You could at least come up with your own Title. The Trifecta (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/component/content/article/2-barryinstlouis/8-the-trifecta)

I didn't come up with the title.

penguinz
02-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I didn't come up with the title.You = Warpaint.

Count Zarth
02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Whatever. That blog is located in the tiniest, least well-known corner of the internet.

penguinz
02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Whatever. That blog is located in the tiniest, least well-known corner of the internet.But the writer of that blog is a huge Athan supporter.

Also... If it was the other way around you would have your panties all in a bunch and would try to use threats of some sort to get it changed. ;)

Count Zarth
02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
But the writer of that blog is a huge Athan supporter.

Also... If it was the other way around you would have your panties all in a bunch and would try to use threats of some sort to get it changed. ;)

Not really. Headlines get recycled all the time.

Fritz88
02-02-2009, 02:29 PM

See. I promised to eat my own shit if we hired Pioli. So be careful with those crazy bets.

Rooster
02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
whos scott haley?

He is the guy who discovered Haley's Comet.

tooge
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm not pimping anyone. He may want Cowher in KC but he's hardly predicting anything. In fact, Nick has not predicted anyone would be Chiefs head coach through this entire process.

What, did he lose his magic 8 ball?