PDA

View Full Version : Football Espn just happened to leave out James Harrison doing his best MMA impersonation

rrl308
02-01-2009, 09:02 PM
So, I'm watching the highligts and not a word about Harrisons Unsportsmanlike penalty.

NFL: Hey don't say a word about James Harrison. We would hate to steal his thunder even though he should have been ejected.

Espn: No problem, not a word.

thurman merman
02-01-2009, 09:18 PM
there were a few other things worth talking about in the game. that wouldn't be high on my list.

rrl308
02-01-2009, 09:25 PM
True, but you just don't leave that out after showing practically every other penalty. He should have been ejected. It was one of if not the most blatant personal foul I have ever seen.

kcpasco
02-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Meh, its football

I didn't see anything worthy of ejection, maybe all the players can put a big pink dress on.

Thig Lyfe
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Meh, its football

I didn't see anything worthy of ejection, maybe all the players can put a big pink dress on.

That'd be a really big dress if they're gonna fit all the players in it at once.

rrl308
02-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Meh, its football

I would say it was malicious, but maybe punching a guy multiple times is just a reflex. :hmmm:

Personal Foul: A player conducts himself in a way that can cause injury to another player or himself. The referees can make a judgment call to eject the player from the game depending on how malicious the act was. The referee signals this by moving one arm in a hammer striking or karate chop motion to his opposite wrist. This is just a 15-yard penalty if committed by the offense, however, an automatic first down is awarded to the offense if committed by a defensive player. If players from both teams are involved in the penalty, the penalties offset each other, and the down is replayed

kcpasco
02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I would say it was malicious, but maybe punching a guy multiple times is just a reflex. :hmmm:

Personal Foul: A player conducts himself in a way that can cause injury to another player or himself. The referees can make a judgment call to eject the player from the game depending on how malicious the act was. The referee signals this by moving one arm in a hammer striking or karate chop motion to his opposite wrist. This is just a 15-yard penalty if committed by the offense, however, an automatic first down is awarded to the offense if committed by a defensive player. If players from both teams are involved in the penalty, the penalties offset each other, and the down is replayed

Punching a guy wearing a football helmet just makes me laugh at the idiot throwing the punches.

Rain Man
Howie Long got to the Hall of Fame doing exactly the same thing.

Dr. Van Halen
I would have ejected him and immediately have him tested for steroids.

KCUnited
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
It was a closed fist punch and he should've been ejected. When John "I want my 6 leg turkey back" Madden can catch on that he should've been ejected, then he should've been ejected. Its that simple.

bowener
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Punching a guy wearing a football helmet just makes me laugh at the idiot throwing the punches.

Me too. Always wonder why the guy getting punched doesnt just head-butt the other dudes fist, breaking his knuckles, and thus ending the fight in a reasonably low level of violence as well as intelligence.

Ultra Peanut
02-02-2009, 12:02 AM
The play was essentially meaningless.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-02-2009, 07:37 AM
The penalty was essentially meaningless.

fixed your post. That's the worst part, a guy goes overboard like that and the resulting penalty is about a yard.

Nixhex
02-02-2009, 07:59 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/whbja8.jpg

EyePod
02-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Meh, its football

That's ridiculous. Fighting is not football.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 08:10 AM

The worst part is that I had a lot of respect for Harrison before that play.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 08:11 AM
fixed your post. That's the worst part, a guy goes overboard like that and the resulting penalty is about a yard.

I could have sworn it occurred before the change of possession, and that would have been a big freaking deal.

Chief Henry
02-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I would have ejected him and immediately have him tested for steroids.

I too thought he should have been ejected.

PastorMikH
02-02-2009, 08:12 AM

It would have been awesome if Fransico had planted that kicking foot in his groin.

Frazod
02-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Fucking thug. He should have been ejected.

StcChief
02-02-2009, 08:13 AM
That's ridiculous. Fighting is not football.
it's Ice Hockey.

PastorMikH
02-02-2009, 08:14 AM
I could have sworn it occurred before the change of possession, and that would have been a big freaking deal.

Technically were does the change of possesion occur - when the punting team kicks the ball, giving it to the other team, or when the receiving team actually posseses the ball?

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2009, 08:20 AM

He punched him in the throat. Let me punch you in the throat as a test and we'll see if you feel differently.

PhillyChiefFan
02-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Roid Rage.

El Jefe
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
****ing thug. He should have been ejected.

I was pissed he didn't get tossed.

MagicHef
02-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Technically were does the change of possesion occur - when the punting team kicks the ball, giving it to the other team, or when the receiving team actually posseses the ball?

I don't actually know for sure, but it seems like the fact that roughing the kicker penalties give the ball back to the kicking team means that it is not when the ball is kicked.

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't actually know for sure, but it seems like the fact that roughing the kicker penalties give the ball back to the kicking team means that it is not when the ball is kicked.

I think it's when the ref throws the blue bean bag thingy.

penguinz
02-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I thought the change of possession occurred once th ball crossed the line of scrimmage.

Amnorix

It's either when the ball is kicked, or when the ball, being kicked, goes past the line of scrimmage.

Think of a 3rd down pooch punt by a QB, or the difference between a punt and a kickoff, and it has to be one or the other of the above. It's clearly not when the ball is possessed by the receiving team.

Amnorix
I thought the change of possession occurred once th ball crossed the line of scrimmage.

I want to say it's this too, but can't remember for 100% certain.

PastorMikH

True, I had thought of that, but at the same time the receiving team can choose to let the punting team down the ball and never take possesion of it either.

Probably more in the type of penalty called. In which case, that probably could have been called roughing the kicker as well, resulting in an AZ first down.

PastorMikH
02-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Now that you mention it, that sounds familiar.

MagicHef
02-02-2009, 08:50 AM
It's either when the ball is kicked, or when the ball, being kicked, goes past the line of scrimmage.

Think of a 3rd down pooch punt by a QB, or the difference between a punt and a kickoff, and it has to be one or the other of the above. It's clearly not when the ball is possessed by the receiving team.

Why do roughing the kicker penalties (which take place after the ball has been kicked) result in the kicking team getting possession back? Is it just a special circumstance?

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I think it's when the ref throws the blue bean bag thingy.

I stand by this comment. I see it thrown after fumbles and interceptions and on punt returns so I think that is when it's officially change of possession JMO

Amnorix
02-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Why do roughing the kicker penalties (which take place after the ball has been kicked) result in the kicking team getting possession back? Is it just a special circumstance?

I believe so. It's obviously necessary to prevent injury, so it's either just an exception, or they call it "in the act of kicking" or something.

I'm not sure, but it certainly isn't when the ball is received or anything, as it's not a live ball after it passes the LOS until a receiving player touches it.

Amnorix
02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I stand by this comment. I see it thrown after fumbles and interceptions and on punt returns so I think that is when it's officially change of possession JMO

Well, right, but the ref is going off something. Either the ball crossing the LOS or maybe it's something weird like the "act of kicking is completed", which includes the kicker not being blown up.

My memory is definitely that it relates to the LOS, but I agree that the kicker could get blown up after it crosses the LOS but obviously possession hasn't changed at that point.

Amnorix
02-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Oh, and to the point, Harrison should've been ejected.

Gonzo
02-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Shit happens. These guys were probably talking crap back and forth the whole game and he lost his cool. All players fight and the networks don't show it unless it ends in a penalty. The NFL puts a lot of pressure on the networks to keep things like that off the air for publicity.

Ultra Peanut
02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
He had to have said something horrible about Harrison's mother, or something. The guy went all Shane-O-Mac on him, except with non-shitty strikes.

Chiefnj2
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I've only seen the clip Nihex posted. What's wrong with what he did?

Ultra Peanut
02-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I've only seen the clip Nihex posted. What's wrong with what he did?For starters, he literally threw punches.

TRR
02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Shit happens. These guys were probably talking crap back and forth the whole game and he lost his cool. All players fight and the networks don't show it unless it ends in a penalty. The NFL puts a lot of pressure on the networks to keep things like that off the air for publicity.

Umm...It did end in a penalty.

Gonzo
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Umm...It did end in a penalty.

And the network showed the fight because of it. Therefore, I revert to my former statement.

Chiefnj2
02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
For starters, he literally threw punches.

In post 14, the vid clip, I don't see any punches.

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Cataracts are a bitch.

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2009, 11:11 AM

He punched him in the back and the throat.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
He punched him in the throat. Let me punch you in the throat as a test and we'll see if you feel differently.

Punched him in the throat my ass.

Let's punch you in the throat and see if you pop right back up like Francisco did.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
It would have been awesome if Fransico had planted that kicking foot in his groin.

isnt francisco a safety?

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Punched him in the throat my ass.

Let's punch you in the throat and see if you pop right back up like Francisco did.

he punched him in the back and when francisco sat up he pushed very hard either on or right below the throat, either way it was TOTALLY uncalled for

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
he punched him in the back and when francisco sat up he pushed very hard either on or right below the throat, either way it was TOTALLY uncalled for

The punch to the back was absolutely uncalled for. It was actually pretty stupid considering he's hitting the hard plastic of the frame of the shoulder pads.

The second shot was fine by me. Play to the whistle. There is NOTHING that clip that shows he hit him in the throat, or with a closed fist like you can with the punch to the back. Again, had he punched Francisco in the throat, he wouldn't have popped right back up, IMO. Look slike he got him right the the breastplate of his pads.

Until the whistle blows, you keep knocking your guy on his ass.

hawkchief
02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't count on ESPN to show you all the facts as they occured. They operate to make money, and by exposing punks like Harrison for what they are, it damages their sacred cow, the NFL, and ultimately their ratings (see the lessons learned from the NBA - the ultimate thug-fest).

Just about any "news" outlet is full of self-serving crap these days, we all know that. I'm half surprised they even showed the brutality even once last night.

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 11:28 AM
The punch to the back was absolutely uncalled for. It was actually pretty stupid considering he's hitting the hard plastic of the frame of the shoulder pads.

The second shot was fine by me. Play to the whistle. There is NOTHING that clip that shows he hit him in the throat, or with a closed fist like you can with the punch to the back. Again, had he punched Francisco in the throat, he wouldn't have popped right back up, IMO. Look slike he got him right the the breastplate of his pads.

Until the whistle blows, you keep knocking your guy on his ass.

I think there's a rule that you have to let the player reestablish himself. A lineman got called for UR for diving at a DE when he was trying to get up earlier this season.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
if nothing else the guy who was on his knees is pretty defenseless IMO

Chiefnj2
02-02-2009, 11:37 AM
He punched him in the back and the throat.

It's an open hand to the back. You can see the white fingers of his glove. It also looked like an open hand to his chest/throat.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 11:40 AM
it was a stupid and punk thing to do but it was ejection worthy imo.

you block someone to the ground they tell you to lay on them and keep them down.

he didn't throw a punch ...... he pushed

asshole = yes
ejection = no

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I think there's a rule that you have to let the player reestablish himself. A lineman got called for UR for diving at a DE when he was trying to get up earlier this season.

And he was penalized for it.

But it wasn't ejection worthy. Not even close, IMO.

Sure-Oz
02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Even Madden wanted him thrown out after seeing that...

Such BS that he wasn't...im suprised the card's guy didn't deck him

highBOLTage
02-02-2009, 11:50 AM

So the holder in a FG attempt counts as a kicker too? Seems like if Harrison commits a personal foul on a non-kicker after the ball has crossed the LOS and doesnt extend possession for the offense then Adrian Wilson stumbling into the holder after the ball is well away shouldnt extend possession either.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
So the holder in a FG attempt counts as a kicker too? Seems like if Harrison commits a personal foul on a non-kicker after the ball has crossed the LOS and doesnt extend possession for the offense then Adrian Wilson stumbling into the holder after the ball is well away shouldnt extend possession either.

damn good post

Ultra Peanut
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
So the holder in a FG attempt counts as a kicker too?Yes.

Dylan
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
... as the refs look on... lol

i wonder if the refs were pimpin' for Vegas

Steelers gave up 8 points ??? -- the last drive had to be worth a hell of a lot of money

hmmmmmm... :D

Reerun_KC
02-02-2009, 12:29 PM
That was the best play of the game... Be proud Pitt fan and DCS....

DJ's left nut
02-02-2009, 03:19 PM
It's an open hand to the back. You can see the white fingers of his glove. It also looked like an open hand to his chest/throat.

I'm with you on this one, I just don't see a penalty there. This whole uproar over that play has confused the hell out of me from the start.

He's driving a flat palm down into the guy's back to pin him down. That's not even close to a punch, I have no idea where people are getting that. When the guy gets up, he puts shoves him in the upper chest. Again, watch the play, it's a shove, not a punch. That's football, fellas. It ain't patty-cake out there.

That's just damn aggressive football. He's finishing his block and making sure the guy doesn't get back into the play.

It's certainly didn't merit an ejection, I wouldn't have even thrown the flag.

Rausch
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
... as the refs look on... lol

i wonder if the refs were pimpin' for Vegas

Steelers gave up 8 points ??? -- the last drive had to be worth a hell of a lot of money

hmmmmmm... :D

I think it was the best officiated SB in a long time.

JMO...

DrRyan
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm with you on this one, I just don't see a penalty there. This whole uproar over that play has confused the hell out of me from the start.

He's driving a flat palm down into the guy's back to pin him down. That's not even close to a punch, I have no idea where people are getting that. When the guy gets up, he puts shoves him in the upper chest. Again, watch the play, it's a shove, not a punch. That's football, fellas. It ain't patty-cake out there.

That's just damn aggressive football. He's finishing his block and making sure the guy doesn't get back into the play.

It's certainly didn't merit an ejection, I wouldn't have even thrown the flag.

Are you sure you are watching the same play? Go ahead and scroll up a couple posts from yours and watch it again. It was a dirty cheap shot, period, point blank. Not even close to a punch? Are you serious? A punch is exactly what it was. Several cheap shots by Harrison on that play.

Wreckloose
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I can't believe the amount of people being babies about this play. An open hand is not a punch. He deserved the penalty but an ejection would have been ridiculous. And while the 15 yard penalty only resulted in 1 yard, the drive ended with a safety so I don't think you can say it was meaningless.