PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley expected to interview this week, denies contact with Chiefs...

DaWolf
02-01-2009, 11:23 PM
TAMPA, Fla. -- Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs this week for their head coaching vacancy.

No official word came out of Super Bowl week, but the Chiefs have yet to make a move since firing Herm Edwards on Jan. 23, and Haley is believed to be the leading candidate.

One source said minority candidates have turned down interviews to fulfill the Rooney Rule because the prevailing feeling in league circles is that the job belongs to Haley.

The former Bears wide receivers coach worked with new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli when Haley began his career as an assistant with the New York Jets. Haley worked for Bill Parcells in New York and again in Dallas, and Pioli is Parcells' son-in-law.

''I just love my job with the Cardinals,'' Haley said. ''And I love the coach [Ken Whisenhunt] I work for and the people I work with. Hey, I've got five kids, and the last thing I'm thinking about is moving.''

Even the custom pool that Haley had installed last offseason at his Scottsdale home won't prevent him from packing up and heading to Kansas City. Head coaching jobs don't open often, and the Hunt family is considered good ownership.

Keep an eye on former Bears assistants whom Haley might tab to work with him. The challenge will be putting together a staff this late.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/1408839,CST-SPT-supernt02.article

Haley’s plan is to head to Hawaii
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

TAMPA, Fla. | If the Chiefs plan to introduce a new head coach this week, it doesn’t look as if Todd Haley is too interested.

Haley, the Arizona Cardinals’ offensive coordinator, said after Sunday night’s 27-23 loss to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl that he plans to head for Hawaii this week and attend the Pro Bowl.

Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner and wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin will play for the NFC in the Pro Bowl.

Asked whether he had plans to interview in Kansas City this week, Haley said: “I have no plans. The quarterback and receivers have invited a bunch of us to go to the Pro Bowl. That’s what I’m thinking about. It might take my mind off of this right now.”

Haley said he has not had any communication with Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, with whom he worked with the New York Jets in the 1990s.

“As I’ve said for the last two weeks, my focus has been on this game, which is the biggest game I’ve ever been involved in,” Haley said. “That is what I have told my agent, to not talk to anybody, and that’s what I’ve done.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1012661.html

Bowser
02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Haley = Head Coach

Cowher = DC

Rat = OC

Me = win

Bowser
02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I fully expect an announcement within 72 hours, no matter who gets the job.

The Bad Guy
02-01-2009, 11:37 PM
They could just interview John Embree, so it's no big deal.

I have no doubt in my mind that Haley is coming this week.

I freaking wish that the Chargers never promoted Ron Rivera.

Haley and Rivera would be great.

Basileus777
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm still mystified by the hard-on that some people here get for Ron Rivera.

KCChiefsFan88
02-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I still have this very weird feeling we are in for a shocker... and it involves either Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher.

Fruit Ninja
02-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I still have this very weird feelng we are in for a shocker... and it involves either Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher.

I am thinking Cowher. I know he said no, buti think he's going to say yes.

DaWolf
02-02-2009, 12:15 AM
There's too much smoke around Haley right now for me to suspect that's not going to happen. But we'll see...

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I still have this very weird feeling we are in for a shocker... and it involves either Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher.

I think Schefter nosthadeal. Shanahan is out IM(and Adam Schefter's)O

Reerun_KC
02-02-2009, 12:19 AM
I think Schefter nosthadeal. Shanahan is out IM(and Adam Schefter's)O

Lets hope Cowher is out as well....

King_Chief_Fan
02-02-2009, 06:31 AM

would you be shocked if it is Gailey? It doesn't appear that Haley is too excited about the prospect. Maybe it's a poker face?

PhillyChiefFan
02-02-2009, 06:38 AM
I don't know I'm not completely sold that Haley wants the position.

I really don't think it's going to be Cowher, otherwise why all the smoke and mirrors??

What ever happened to Bowles?? I thought some people around here wanted him as HC??

keg in kc
02-02-2009, 06:40 AM
I still have this very weird feeling we are in for a shocker... and it involves either Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher.Bringing in Cowher would be about as close to a shocker as a guy can get. Kind of like going to the proctologist, but the other two fingers get rammed up there, too.

The Bad Guy
02-02-2009, 06:53 AM

What's not to like about Ron Rivera?

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Still would like this guy to get a look: http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49264

Tuckdaddy
02-02-2009, 06:58 AM
What ever happens it better happen fast. No reason for an HC not be named quickly at this point.

The Bad Guy
02-02-2009, 07:00 AM
What ever happens it better happen fast. No reason for an HC not be named quickly at this point.

Why? Are all those other vacancies going to hire someone quick?

alanm
02-02-2009, 07:04 AM
The shocker would be Russ Grimm being the guy they were after all along.

Frosty
02-02-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't know I'm not completely sold that Haley wants the position.

I don't know if he is but I would think that he would be pretty low key about it to deflect any criticism about job hunting while preparing for the Super Bowl, especially with the loss. There were several reports that he was contacting people about assistant coach positions last week.

Mi_chief_fan
02-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Even the custom pool that Haley had installed last offseason at his Scottsdale home won't prevent him from packing up and heading to Kansas City. Head coaching jobs don't open often, and the Hunt family is considered good ownership.

Yeah, only 1/3 of the league this year. Seldom ever see head coaching jobs open up.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 07:13 AM

This. Except I think others could be added to the shocker list...like Gailey and even the forgotten Ferentz.

ChiefMojo
02-02-2009, 07:33 AM
There is very possibly another name that has emerged that many will not be happy about.

Duck Dog
02-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Haley = Head Coach

Cowher = DC

Rat = OC

Me = win

That would be a nice pipe dream but I doubt Rat or Cowher would accept any position short of being God.

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 07:41 AM
I don't know why people are concerned about putting a staff together.

Almost every year there is a coordinator from a SB team that becomes a head coach, and we never about them struggling to put together a solid staff.

He'll snag some guys from Arizona, Dallas, maybe Chicago, and we'll be fine.

I'm most excited to see who we tab for DC. I'm crossing my fingers for Crennel.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 07:43 AM
There is very possibly another name that has emerged that many will not be happy about.

That's caustic. Have someone in mind?

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't know why people are concerned about putting a staff together.

Almost every year there is a coordinator from a SB team that becomes a head coach, and we never about them struggling to put together a solid staff.

He'll snag some guys from Arizona, Dallas, maybe Chicago, and we'll be fine.

I'm most excited to see who we tab for DC. I'm crossing my fingers for Crennel.

Yup. And I have a suspicion that Haley might be the type that carries the play-card up and down the sideline and "discusses" plays with his OC throughout the game.

Coogs
02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
I'd like to see Bowles get considertion for the DC job... or possibly even the HC spot. Here is an article from the Detroit Free Press on his interview with the Lions for the HC job...

Todd Bowles: 'This is the only job I want'
By Nicholas J. Cotsonika • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • January 13, 2009

Highlights from Lions coaching candidate Todd Bowles’ session with Detroit reporters today:

• On his background with turnaround teams: “I know the blueprint of turning a team around. I’ve taken the long road. I’ve been on good teams in Dallas, bad teams in Cleveland and a bad team in Miami last year that turned it around. I think I bring insight and blueprint to turn it around.”

• On what it takes to be a head coach: “It takes a guy that knows the front office as well as the community. It takes a guy to be on the same page with the front office of the organization. It takes a guy that knows the team, having scouted a year, having played eight years and having coached nine years -- under (Bill) Parcells, (Joe) Gibbs, (Mike) Holmgren, Ron Wolf. I think I bring a certain amount of experience and that attitude that you have to win ballgames.”

• On how difficult this job is and if 0-16 is that bad: “No, it’s not that bad. When we were in Miami, you can’t gut 53 players on the roster and draft 53 new ones. You have solid, foundation-type football players here. You have to weed out the bad ones. You have to make the other ones buy into the organization. You, as a coach, have to understand between the personnel part and the team part. You have to bring those two together as far as finding the right player.”

• On changing the mentality: “When you’re 1-15, mentally, you’re damaged. I don’t care how you slice it. Between the media, you losing every week, your neighbors calling you losers and everything, you’re damaged mentally. You have to get past that mental part, and you have to just get down and work, and you have to give them a goal to shoot for, and that’s winning the NFC North.”

• On going from position coach to head coach: “It’s the same situation. You just have to manage more. You have to bring the front office together. You have to bring the scouting department together. You have to bring the team together. Offense and defense have to work together. You’re pretty much a manager now. You’re the face of the organization. You’re a face to the media as well as an outlet to the community. So now, you have to bring a whole city together, and doing that, you have to start within the team.”

• On Lions quarterbacks Dan Orlovsky, Daunte Culpepper and Drew Stanton and whether any looks like a starter: “Without looking at all the film, Culpepper has done it. Orlovsky is a good, young guy. I think Stanton needs a good quarterback coach to bring him along. I’ll have to make that determination as we go along.”

• On not mentioning Jon Kitna: “Kitna was on IR, so I didn’t talk about him as much. But Kitna has done it for a long time in this league. Depending on the severity of his injury, he’s right along that bunch, too. He has won a bunch of ballgames in this league.”

• On his offensive philosophy: “My philosophy on offense is to first run the ball, especially in the NFC North, when it gets cold in the wintertime. Although two of you have domes, you have to run the ball because that keeps the defense off the field, that gets time of possession correct, that makes us wear the other team down, and that wins ballgames. Passing game looks nice. Calvin’s a great receiver. You have to get him the ball. You have to have a great complementary passing game, but at the same time, you must be able to run the ball in this league to get by.”

• On his defensive philosophy: “Defensively, I come from a 3-4 scheme. I’ve been in a 4-3 scheme. You want to have the personnel to kind of fit what you do. If you don’t, you can have a hybrid version of a 4-3 until you can get a 3-4 scheme in place. … If Ernie (Sims) or (Cliff) Avril or those guys don’t fit a 3-4, we’ll play a 4-3.”

• On if he prefers a 3-4: “I would be working towards that as long as I have the personnel. … Without having the defense in place here, you have to see what the personnel looks like on the other side of the ball, and you have to draft and do free agency accordingly.”

• On being a former NFL teammate of Lions general manager Martin Mayhew’s: “We played together for three years, but that was back in the late ‘80s, early ’90s. We would keep in touch maybe once or twice a year, maybe. But Martin was always a bright guy. He went to Georgetown Law while he played, and having somebody here always helps, because you have a preexistence as far as knowing who you’re working with.”

• On his background with Parcells from the Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins: “From the time I got to the Jets, he told me I’d be a head coach in this league, and he taught me accordingly. I mean, he kept me by his side. He taught me step-by-step the structure of how to put a team in place and keep a team in place and not be a one-hit wonder. … Parcells has taught me more about, from the first guy on the roster to the last guy on the roster, how he fits in the system, why he fits in the system, why we want him on this team, why we do not want him on this team, and he taught me how to learn players.”

• On putting together a staff: “I do have a staff in mind, and as we get further down the line, when I talk to Mr. Ford, we’ll probably put that in place.”

• On whether he knew he would meet with the media today: “Not until yesterday, but I think it’s a good thing, because when you stand in front of the media, you guys give the message to the fans. … So to get to see a potential candidate in front of the media is not a bad thing at all.”

• On if he is up for any other jobs: “I’m scheduled to go to St. Louis toward the end of the week, but this is the only job I want.”

StcChief
02-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Still would like this guy to get a look: http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49264for DC?

Frankie
02-02-2009, 08:04 AM
They could just interview John Embree, so it's no big deal.

I have no doubt in my mind that Haley is coming this week.

I freaking wish that the Chargers never promoted Ron Rivera.

Haley and Rivera would be great.

I'm not entirely sure on this but I think if we gave Rivera an extra title of Assistant HC, then we can hire him away from Diego.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 08:05 AM

He did a great job with the Bears D. That alone would not be enough for me. But the job he did with the SD D was great last year. I'm a fan now.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 08:06 AM
mort pwned again?

LMAO

Frankie
02-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Lets hope Cowher is out as well....

Yep.

PastorMikH
02-02-2009, 08:09 AM
A couple Rooney Rule questions....

1) Does the canidate have to actually have credentials to land the interview or can they recruit some african american dude hanging out at the mall to interview?

2) Does the canidate have to be black or can they talk to a hispanic, asian, etc?

Frankie
02-02-2009, 08:10 AM
This. Except I think others could be added to the shocker list...like Gailey and even the forgotten Ferentz.

Ferentz is too far into recruiting season in Iowa to leave them.

KCChiefsFan88
02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Peter King chimes in briefly on the potential of Todd Haley to the Chiefs in his columni this morning:

Good luck in Kansas City, Todd Haley, if you're interviewed. You've got a lot going for you, and your players respect you quite a bit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/02/superbowl/4.html

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM

1) Does the canidate have to actually have credentials to land the interview or can they recruit some african american dude hanging out at the mall to interview?

2) Does the canidate have to be black or can they talk to a hispanic, asian, etc?

Doesn't matter. Move on.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 08:29 AM

i believe it states you must interview a "qualified minority applicant"

so it can't be a guy at the mall but can be hispanic/asian etc

imo

pikesome
02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
i believe it states you must interview a "qualified minority applicant"

so it can't be a guy at the mall but can be hispanic/asian etc

imo

The funny thing that you don't know. Nor are you going to know. Look for the text of the rule. I've been looking for most of a week and can only find people talking about the rule, not what it actually says.

Even better I found a document talking about coaching diversity (Here (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:nESjkt6XFKIJ:www.acslaw.org/files/Proxmire%2520Issue%2520Brief.pdf+Rooney+Rule+text&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)) that has this little bit:
Interestingly, it does not appear that the NFL ever formally adopted the Rooney Rule in its by-laws, and there is no memorialized Rooney Rule text other than the NFL’s December 20, 2002 press release

Also of note (from that same document):
Other than the 2003 fine and reprimand levied on the Detroit Lions, no other NFL team has been found in violation of the Rooney Rule when hiring a head coach. By the Commissioner’s determination, all other teams looking for a head coach since 2003 have taken sufficient steps to be in compliance

This means we know as much about the Chiefs compliance as we do about their HC search, not a damn thing.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
This means we know as much about the Chiefs compliance as we do about their HC search, not a damn thing.

Yes...and the reason why everyone should move on and stop being nervous-Nancie's about all this. :spock:

DTLB58
02-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I did a search in trying to find some specifics on the Rooney rule and came accross this.

Blogger's note: For the record, Herm Edwards' consideration for retaining his job will not satisfy the Chiefs' Rooney Rule requirements. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told me last week that teams with head coach openings have to interview an outside minority candidate to comply with league rules.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/662

Basileus777
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Why is anyone worrying about the Rooney rule? It's a trivial task to interview a minority candidate. For all we know it's already been done.