PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So, did the Cardinals' offense in the SuperBowl sway your thoughts on Haley?

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Still think he's a good choice for HC?

Chiefs Pantalones
02-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Yes.

It wasn't his fault the refs determined the outcome of the game.

KCrockaholic
02-02-2009, 01:31 AM
He did alright, very good in the 4th quarter, too bad his teams defense sucks...Maybe he can help fix ours with a good D-coordinator and better overall talent at DL and LB

plus you cant forget he was game planning against the best defense in the NFL by far.

Fritz88
02-02-2009, 01:49 AM
he was not too bad. I will not be shocked if we hire him. But I hope we get someone else.

DaWolf
02-02-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm still not sure he's ready to lead a team. He can call plays OK and does an excellent job coaching wide receivers, but other than that I have no info on the guy. He's a gamble, but I guess so were Harbaugh and Tomlin. I hope Pioli hires him because he's qualified and the best man for the job, not because he knows him (see Peterson, Carl)...

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, here's one blogger's opinion of Haley's performance:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-extra-points/bernies-extra-points/2009/02/5-minutes-for-blogging-super-bowl-43-wrapup/

4. ARIZONA OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR TODD HALEY HAD A BAD NIGHT: The latest boy-wonder offensive coordinator wasnít sharp with his play calling or strategy. The play call at the end of the first half ó that ended in the INT and 100-yard return for a score by James Harrison ó was foolish. With the Steelers spread across the goal line, you have to attack the back of the end zone, and you have to at least try to call a play that gives Larry Fitzgerald a chance to do what he does best, which is to go skyward to make a catch. The Cardinals had a hard time getting into a rhythm, and it took Haley forever to shake up the pacing by spreading the offense and going no-huddle to increase his teamís tempo and put pressure on the Steelers. When Haley finally went no-huddle, the strategy was successful, but Haley didnít stay with it. Makes no sense. With all of the weapons Warner has at his disposal, it makes sense to spread the field, speed up the game, and get the defense in a state of retreat. Get that Steelers defense scrambling. Donít let the Steelers get set to come after your QB and bang your receivers. Haleyís approach made it way too easy for the Steelers for much of this game. The Kansas City Chiefs arenít serious about hiring this guy to be their head coach ó are they?

Mecca
02-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Being a good or bad play caller means little to being a head coach unless you're going to call plays and be HC....

Fish
02-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Larry Fitzgerald > Tod Haley

Boris The Great
02-02-2009, 02:42 AM
4. ARIZONA OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR TODD HALEY HAD A BAD NIGHT: The latest boy-wonder offensive coordinator wasnít sharp with his play calling or strategy. The play call at the end of the first half ó that ended in the INT and 100-yard return for a score by James Harrison ó was foolish. With the Steelers spread across the goal line, you have to attack the back of the end zone, and you have to at least try to call a play that gives Larry Fitzgerald a chance to do what he does best, which is to go skyward to make a catch. The Cardinals had a hard time getting into a rhythm, and it took Haley forever to shake up the pacing by spreading the offense and going no-huddle to increase his teamís tempo and put pressure on the Steelers. When Haley finally went no-huddle, the strategy was successful, but Haley didnít stay with it. Makes no sense. With all of the weapons Warner has at his disposal, it makes sense to spread the field, speed up the game, and get the defense in a state of retreat. Get that Steelers defense scrambling. Donít let the Steelers get set to come after your QB and bang your receivers. Haleyís approach made it way too easy for the Steelers for much of this game. The Kansas City Chiefs arenít serious about hiring this guy to be their head coach ó are they?

If 400 yards and 23 points (should have been 30) against the best defense in the league is a bad night for Haley, I hope Pioli is signing him as we speak.

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 03:03 AM
If 400 yards and 23 points (should have been 30) against the best defense in the league is a bad night for Haley, I hope Pioli is signing him as we speak.

The blogger is from The Big Dirty, after all...

Fritz88
02-02-2009, 04:00 AM
I can live with what he did. He seems to have some potential.

Archie F. Swin
02-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Kind of reminds me of the Raider's most recent appearance in the super bowl

the Talking Can
02-02-2009, 07:21 AM
that int was on Warner, that is his read

thurman merman
02-02-2009, 07:38 AM
1st half: haley was terrible. he forgot that larry fitzgerald was on the team.
2nd half: haley was great. he rememebered that larry fitzgerald was on the team.

so, it appears he is better at halftime adjustments than herm. however, i'm pretty sure he won't be bringing larry fitzgerald with him, so i don't really know what to think.

Frosty
02-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Being a good or bad play caller means little to being a head coach unless you're going to call plays and be HC....

This. The Chiefs wouldn't be hiring him to be OC. I defer to Pioli to determine if Haley has what it takes to be a head coach.

CupidStunt
02-02-2009, 07:50 AM
1st half: haley was terrible. he forgot that larry fitzgerald was on the team.

Hard to blame Haley without knowing what the play calls actually were. I'm sure Fitz was at LEAST the second or third read, so you can't blame Haley if Warner prefers to dump it off to a back, or slip-screen it to Boldin or Breaston, because Fitz is either covered or not on Warner's radar.

CupidStunt
02-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Echoing the sentiment that Haley's not coming here to call plays, and judging in general from what I've seen, the guy has what it takes to be a HC. On the sideline in crucial moments, he actually looked more composed and focused than Whisenhunt did.

After Fitzgerald scored the go-ahead TD, I'm convinced that what he was drilling in to Fitz was the idea that they might need him again if the Steelers march down the field and score, so don't get too comfy on the sidelines. That's again what I would have expected Whiz to do, not Haley.

I'd be excited if this guy comes on board.

keg in kc
02-02-2009, 07:53 AM
As I'm sure the case probably is with the Chiefs, the game didn't sway me in any way. I'm still utterly apathetic.

MahiMike
02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
I thought both teams were imaginitive in their play calling. You could see their progression of setting up one play with 2 previous plays.

180 degrees from the Ravens and Herm's teams. Far too many teams don't understand that calling plays is like putting together a musical score. Each series builds on the next. I think the Cards play calling was as much a factor in their playoff run as their talent. I'd be delighted to see someone with that much imagination come run our team.

Shox
02-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Here is the simple analysis.

Is he better than Herm?

No doubt. So we get better!!!!!

KCChiefsFan88
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Arizona came in with an excellent offensive game plan and got better in the second half after making adjustments... both are signs of good coaching.

Mike Shanahan is still my #1 choice, but since that looks like a pipe-dream at this point, Todd Haley would be my #1 "realistic" choice.

StcChief
02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
SB didn't change my mind. Steelers were the #1 D...

What he has done in AZ with Fitz, Bouldin, Breaston, Hightower,Edge. Built OLine.
Play calling/Clock skills says he can move up. Pioli has worked with him. Really his and Clark's call.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I would want him as an OC, nothing else. He is very good at adjusting at the half though. The Cards were one of the best 3rd quarter teams in the league.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Here is the simple analysis.

Is he better than Herm?

No doubt. So we get better!!!!!

This is true... well, he may not be better than Herm, but he has more upside? Seems like that wouldn't be a good way to start off though, because there's always tons of players on the Chiefs that have upside...

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Larry Fitzgerald > Tod Haley

Exactly. Whenever he's on a field, he's the best wide receiver on the field.