PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will Romeo bail Scott out?

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 03:06 AM
It sounds like the league thinks the Haley hire is a done deal. And it's been reported that none of the potential minority candidates are willing to interview. ROONEY RULE... So will Crennel bail his old buddy out and make a show of it? If he does that, would it preclude him from interviewing for the DC at a later date? Hmmmm...looks like the Chiefs might get hammered on this one. Come on Romeo, do Scotty a solid.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 03:12 AM
They can interview anyone...hell they could interview John Embree.

Kerberos
02-02-2009, 03:38 AM
This goes with the "Assumption" that we haven't already interviewed a minority.

Did your best friends dad's uncles brother tell him he has insider info that the Chiefs have NOT interviewed a minority?

They could have interviewed minority candidate John Doe from Basic HS for the job for all we know.

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 03:40 AM
They can interview anyone...hell they could interview John Embree.

I thought that they had to interview a legitimate minority candidate under the Rooney Rule.

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 03:45 AM
This goes with the "Assumption" that we haven't already interviewed a minority.

Did your best friends dad's uncles brother tell him he has insider info that the Chiefs have NOT interviewed a minority?

They could have interviewed minority candidate John Doe from Basic HS for the job for all we know.

My assumption is based on what's been reported in the media. With the information lockdown at Arrowhead, everything is speculation and assumptions at this point. Just ask Chris Mortensen. :)

Mecca
02-02-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm pretty sure any kind of coach counts as a legitimate coach.

BigRock
02-02-2009, 04:18 AM
And it's been reported that none of the potential minority candidates are willing to interview.

The line "One source said minority candidates have turned down interviews" appearing in a Chicago paper does not mean NO minority candidates are willing to interview. Obviously, you also have to consider the "one source said" aspect coming from a local beat reporter.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Good gawd...what a bunch of worried-wanda's out there. Do you have anything better to do than worry over the Rooney rule?!? The chiefs just finished 3 years with a minority coach. They are NOT a target of the NFL in regard to minority hiring. Move on.

Brock
02-02-2009, 07:23 AM
I, for one, don't care if they follow the Rooney rule or not.

el borracho
02-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Would Pioli's talks with Herm not count as an interview?

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Would Pioli's talks with Herm not count as an interview?

Doesn't matter. Move on. Not worth worrying about. If they get fined, they get fined. It's not like they lose the franchise or something. :banghead:

KCChiefsFan88
02-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Does the Rooney Rule require a racial minority? How about a religious minority? A gender minority? Perhaps a sexual minority? Maybe a weight-challenged minority? (paging Bob Gretz)

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Oh My God, what about the Rooney Rule?!

WHAT ABOUT THE ROOOOOONEY RULE??????

WE ARE F#CKED!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

CLARK WILL HAVE TO PAY A $200,000 FINE!!!! WE CAN'T AFFORD THAT!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

TrebMaxx
02-02-2009, 07:38 AM
The Rooney rule needs to go away. I mean seriously, if I was a black in this profession I would rather go into an interview knowing that the team is actually interested in my skills, not because the league mandates it.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Oh My God, what about the Rooney Rule?!

WHAT ABOUT THE ROOOOOONEY RULE??????

WE ARE F#CKED!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

CLARK WILL HAVE TO PAY A $200,000 FINE!!!! WE CAN'T AFFORD THAT!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Exactly. Getting super-tired of Chiefs fans that have nothing more interesting to do than debate the finer points of whether the Rooney rule will be followed, has been followed or what will happen (DEAR GAWDDDD!!!) if they don't abide by the Rooney rule. It's just the dumbest piece of the whole "who will be our new coach?" discussion.

Molitoth
02-02-2009, 07:46 AM
The Rooney rule needs to go away. I mean seriously, if I was a black in this profession I would rather go into an interview knowing that the team is actually interested in my skills, not because the league mandates it.

+1.

Coogs
02-02-2009, 07:54 AM

Teams like the Chiefs, Steelers, Browns, Bears, Colts to name a few that have shown that they will hire minority candidates should be exempt from this rule. The teams that have not shown they are willing to hire minority head coaches should be the ones who have to comply until they do hire a minority candidate.

StcChief
02-02-2009, 07:54 AM
The Rooney rule needs to go away. I mean seriously, if I was a black in this profession I would rather go into an interview knowing that the team is actually interested in my skills, not because the league mandates it.let's ask ot interview Tomlin see what Rooney says.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-02-2009, 08:13 AM
So, if the team requests to interview with a minority, and that minority turns down the request and refuses the interview isn't that good enough?

ArrowheadSoldier82
02-02-2009, 08:38 AM
I think if you just fired a minority coach then obviously your franchise is willing to hire one, and this should give you a pass if you already have interviewed the guy that you know you want to be your next coach!

pikesome
02-02-2009, 08:43 AM
So, if the team requests to interview with a minority, and that minority turns down the request and refuses the interview isn't that good enough?

Not if you're going by the example of the 2003 Lions. They couldn't get an interview because they made it known that Mariucci was the guy. So they hired him before he got away and the NFL came down on them

King_Chief_Fan
02-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Not if you're going by the example of the 2003 Lions. They couldn't get an interview because they made it known that Mariucci was the guy. So they hired him before he got away and the NFL came down on them

So, what is the penalty?

pikesome
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
So, what is the penalty?

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue publicly reprimanded the Lions and fined the team $200,000 for conduct detrimental to the league. Tagliabue sent an unmistakable message by declaring that the next violator will face a $500,000 fine.

From this document. (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:nESjkt6XFKIJ:www.acslaw.org/files/Proxmire%2520Issue%2520Brief.pdf+Rooney+Rule+text&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)

King_Chief_Fan
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
From this document. (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:nESjkt6XFKIJ:www.acslaw.org/files/Proxmire%2520Issue%2520Brief.pdf+Rooney+Rule+text&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)

thanks for the document.

I say pay the fine, give your reason (Herm was considered, others not wanting to interview etc) and move on.

pikesome
02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
thanks for the document.

I say pay the fine, give your reason (Herm was considered, others not wanting to interview etc) and move on.

The problem (I mentioned this in the other Rooney Rule thread) is that the requirements and penalties aren't, apparently, written down anywhere. There's no guarantee that the 500k penalty would be what really happens. Might be a first round draft pick instead. It seems like the Comish decides.

King_Chief_Fan
02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
The problem (I mentioned this in the other Rooney Rule thread) is that the requirements and penalties aren't, apparently, written down anywhere. There's no guarantee that the 500k penalty would be what really happens. Might be a first round draft pick instead. It seems like the Comish decides.

I am o.k. spending Clark's money for this, but a #1 pick is just a little too steep. I guess the front office knows what they are up against.

pikesome
02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I am o.k. spending Clark's money for this, but a #1 pick is just a little too steep. I guess the front office knows what they are up against.

No team since the Lions have run afoul of the rule. You could take that to mean the NFL isn't enforcing it tight or every team knows what they need to do and are doing it. Either way, you have to believe it'll be a non-issue for the Chiefs.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Now you're just making Sh!t up and painting "sky is falling" scenarios. How about this. Go buy a franchise so that you actually have a reason to worry about this. Until then, I'm pretty sure the adults are doing their job in the Chiefs front office.

melbar
02-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Can we just take Harold the groundskeeper for a lumberjack slam and ask him about his thoughts on the cover 2?

Only in America are you not free to choose the best person for the job without a bunch of grandstanding B.S....

pikesome
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Now you're just making Sh!t up and painting "sky is falling" scenarios. How about this. Go buy a franchise so that you actually have a reason to worry about this. Until then, I'm pretty sure the adults are doing their job in the Chiefs front office.

You don't read well do you?

Point 1: Only one team has been penalized.
Point 2: Their penalty was 200k and Tags threatened 500k for the next one.
Point 3: Tags isn't the Comish anymore.
Point 4: The penalties don't appear to be codified anywhere, up the the Comish
Point 5: Goodell took NE's 2008 first rounder for cheating.

Not quite a "sky is falling" scenario for the Chiefs to lose a 1st rounder if they ignore the Rooney Rule..

He said "brains", not "trains".

KCrockaholic
02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Its a dumb rule. If that is the case, they should have to interview asians, hispanics, and korean people also. It aint like they NFL is filled with white guys everywhere.

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Good gawd...what a bunch of worried-wanda's out there. Do you have anything better to do than worry over the Rooney rule?!? The chiefs just finished 3 years with a minority coach. They are NOT a target of the NFL in regard to minority hiring. Move on.

Hey, Debbie Downer, wash the sand out of your 'gina & take a Midol. Your boyfriend just wasn't into you. Get over it.

Micjones
02-02-2009, 10:13 AM

We saw an increase in Black head coaches after the Rooney Rule was put in place.
Just might be a good thing...
:shrug:

How ironic is it though...
The rule is named after the owner whose Head Coach...is Black.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
document all the minority candidates you ask to interview but got turned down.

then tell the commish you will see him in court if he still fines you

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 10:38 AM
document all the minority candidates you ask to interview but got turned down.

then tell the commish you will see him in court if he still fines you

:spock:

Dude, you were doing good until the bolded text.

I'm going out on a limb here, but something tells me threatening the league with a lawsuit isn't smart business - nor something that Clark Hunt would even consider doing.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 10:50 AM
:spock:

Dude, you were doing good until the bolded text.

I'm going out on a limb here, but something tells me threatening the league with a lawsuit isn't smart business - nor something that Clark Hunt would even consider doing.
probably not .... but the rule is still a pile of crap

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 10:52 AM
probably not .... but the rule is still a pile of crap

I agree.

nychief
02-02-2009, 10:56 AM
My guess? We have a head coach next season.

ChiefsOne
02-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Interview Whitlock

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 11:11 AM
You don't read well do you?

Point 1: Only one team has been penalized.
Point 2: Their penalty was 200k and Tags threatened 500k for the next one.
Point 3: Tags isn't the Comish anymore.
Point 4: The penalties don't appear to be codified anywhere, up the the Comish
Point 5: Goodell took NE's 2008 first rounder for cheating.

Not quite a "sky is falling" scenario for the Chiefs to lose a 1st rounder if they ignore the Rooney Rule..

He said "brains", not "trains".

Call animal control. Chicken little has escaped.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey, Debbie Downer, wash the sand out of your 'gina & take a Midol. Your boyfriend just wasn't into you. Get over it.

Seriously? You're fretting over this and and I'M the downer?!? You're fretting over this stupid rule and I'm the chick? See the world in opposite much?

T-post Tom
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Seriously? You're fretting over this and and I'M the downer?!? You're fretting over this stupid rule and I'm the chick? See the world in opposite much?

Fretting? I'm just making conversation while we wait to see who the new HC is going to be. You're the one that showed up with your little-girl panties in a bunch: all full of angst & ridicule.So get hold of yourself, & go bake some cookies. It'll settle your estrogen.

dallaschiefsfan
02-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Fretting? I'm just making conversation while we wait to see who the new HC is going to be. You're the one that showed up with your little-girl panties in a bunch: all full of angst & ridicule.So get hold of yourself, & go bake some cookies. It'll settle your estrogen.

Sorry to hurt your feelings...and ruin your fretting, girl-talk. Chick.