PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs And so the "Matt Cassel to KC" Rumors Begin...

Pages : [1] 2

KCChiefsFan88
02-02-2009, 09:59 AM
As if they hadn't started already...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/2009_02_02_Matt_Cassel_draws_interest/srvc=sports&position=also

Matt Cassel draws interest

TAMPA - They might not have been one of the two Super Bowl participants last night, but the Patriots [team stats] still generated a lot of talk on Radio Row during the week.

With Matt Cassel making the rounds, there was plenty of speculation on how much interest he would draw should the Pats apply the franchise tag and then trade him.

The pundits’ top pick to land Cassel in that scenario is Kansas City. Obviously, the Scott Pioli factor weighs heavily in that choice, with the Pats former vice president of player personnel now calling the shots for the Chiefs.

“I’d really look at Pioli down there in Kansas City. Why wouldn’t he want him?” Sirius NFL radio analyst Jim Miller said. “He knows what the kid is capable of doing. So I think he’d be on their radar.”

Miller, like most analysts, doesn’t see the crop of quarterbacks in this year’s NFL Draft as particularly appealing. That boosts the draw for Cassel, especially if Pioli decides he’s not satisfied with the collection of QBs he inherited after taking over the job.

“I don’t think this is a strong quarterback draft. Everybody is saying Matthew Stafford of Georgia and Mark Sanchez of USC are going to go in the Top 10. I don’t believe that,” Miller said. “I don’t think those guys are ready. And I don’t think you’ll see the type of success guys like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco had. They just haven’t played enough. So I can’t see teams wanting them.

“But if Kansas (City) were to make that deal, that’s their Matt Ryan. That’s their Joe Flacco. Unlike a Sanchez, for instance, they know he’s playing at a starter’s level. So to them, I think it’d be worth it to do. They’d get their starting quarterback, they know what he’s capable of doing, and they’ve seen him win games at the NFL level.”

Other experts, meanwhile, aren’t sure Pioli would want to deal with his former boss right out of the gate.

Some other teams figuring to make a pitch for Cassel include the New York Jets, Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Chicago.

As for what Cassel would land in a trade, there were differing opinions. Miller, for one, thought he would cost a second-round draft choice.

The decision to trade or keep Cassel will ultimately depend on Tom Brady [stats]’s health. While reports have him on target to play in the season opener, he still has a few hurdles to clear before that point following reconstructive surgery on his left knee and a subsequent staph infection.

“I think a lot is going to depend on where Kevin O’Connell is in his development. If they feel they can move Matt to benefit their team, they’ll do it,” said Miller, a one-time Pats backup quarterback. “It’s rolling the dice on Tom and whether he’s healthy, and two, can they do it with Kevin O’Connell? The question they have to ask is if O’Connell is as capable of what they have in Matt Cassel?”

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2009, 10:00 AM
If it helps I ran into his brother at the GAP yesterday.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 10:00 AM

I did too! He told me that Matt bought a house in KC....

Brock
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I'd take him for the right compensation, I guess.

DaWolf
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Well if we're not sold on either Stafford or Sanchez that high, if NE would go for the 2nd rounder it may not be such a bad move. I'm not really sure on Cassel, he may be this year's Derek Anderson, but if Pioli and the next HC believe he can run the offense they want to employ well, then you use the #3 on defense or on the OL, or trade down, and then trade the 2nd rounder for your QB...

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 10:04 AM
We should trade our #1 for Cassel, then trade our 2nd round pick for Derek Anderson.

CupidStunt
02-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I trust Pioli. I'm not certain this guy can win a championship, but I'm less certain Sanchez and Stafford can.

$75 million for Sanchez and a second-round unknown, or Cassell and Orakpo/whoever?

EyePod
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
We should trade our #1 for Cassel, then trade our 2nd round pick for Derek Anderson.
lol. Let's trade all our picks for QB's. One of them has to be good. Maybe our 3rd for John Beck or Vick? Who else can we get with our picks? *SIGH*

And by the way, I really wish that QB from Utah wasn't so freaking short. He would be a perfect NFL QB. He's listed at 6'1", but I've seen 6'. He has such a good work ethic and understands how to use tape to get better.... GROW 3 INCHES BRYAN!

Bill Lundberg
02-02-2009, 10:15 AM
What if we swap first round picks with NE for Cassel? Would that be too much or too little?

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
“I’d really look at Pioli down there in Kansas City. Why wouldn’t he want him?” Sirius NFL radio analyst Jim Miller said. “He knows what the kid is capable of doing. So I think he’d be on their radar.”

He also knows what the kid is NOT capable of doing. So I think he'd not be on their radar.

See how easy it is to speculate?

EyePod
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
What if we swap first round picks with NE for Cassel? Would that be too much or too little?

This would be OK. I like to get a 3rd or a 4th in the deal too though. I just keep remember what our last NE backup QB was capable of, and I get scared...

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

That would basically make Cassell worth a mid 1st round pick. So yeah....that's too much to give up for him.

philfree
02-02-2009, 10:23 AM

We still have seven picks and we gain our starting QB:hmmm: We'd be in a good position to draft someone like Duke Robinson and a pass rusher like M. Johnson. Considering the talent at the top of this draft is iffy I think I could deal with it.

PhilFree:arrow:

BigCatDaddy
02-02-2009, 10:24 AM
That would basically make Cassell worth a mid 1st round pick. So yeah....that's too much to give up for him.

I don't see why NE would want to move up to pay a buttload of money for any player at the top of this years draft. They would probably rather take the 2.

DeezNutz
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM

Great point.

We should also consider sending NE our 3rd rounder for Pioli. Just because.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Great point.

We should also consider sending NE our 3rd rounder for Pioli. Just because.

He's gotta be worth at least our 3rd AND 4th.

Reerun_KC
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I cant wait until we draft a QB at the 3 spot...

It will be priceless to watch all the Carl/Marty clones meltdown, because they just are sold on a 1st round QB, when we should of taken a RT...

This is going to be the best offseason ever!

PhillyChiefFan
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Get off the computer Herm. You're drunk again. :D

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Sweet and then with our 5th round pick we should grab Chase Daniel and with our 6th we should take Chase Patton and then in the 7th.....we can grab Cullen Harper.

GREATEST DRAFT EVAR!!!1!111!!!!1

PhillyChiefFan
02-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Sweet and then with our 5th round pick we should grab Chase Daniel and with our 6th we should take Chase Patton and then in the 7th.....we can grab Cullen Harper.

GREATEST DRAFT EVAR!!!1!111!!!!1

No Rhett Bohmar??

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2009, 10:41 AM
No Rhett Bohmar??

We've already traded our 3rd and 4th round picks for Scott Pioli.

PhillyChiefFan
02-02-2009, 10:42 AM
We've already traded our 3rd and 4th round picks for Scott Pioli.

Ah my mistake.

3rd and 4th? Man we are good people. Pats need all the help they can get.

DeezNutz
02-02-2009, 10:42 AM

The next time we trade a pick for someone who is not a player, whether he be a HC or a water boy, you're going to see me on the evening news.

PhillyChiefFan
02-02-2009, 10:43 AM
The next time we trade a pick for someone who is not a player, whether he be a HC or a water boy, you're going to see me on the evening news.

Shotgun in tow?

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
The only thing missing from this thread is random picture time.

I'll start:

http://www.finkbuilt.com/static/images/articles/monkey1.jpg

Molitoth
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
“But if Kansas (City) were to make that deal, that’s their Matt Ryan. That’s their Joe Flacco. Unlike a Sanchez, for instance, they know he’s playing at a starter’s level. So to them, I think it’d be worth it to do. They’d get their starting quarterback, they know what he’s capable of doing, and they’ve seen him win games at the NFL level.”

YES!

Monty
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't want Cassel at all. Not because I don't believe that he's a decent QB, but his former OC is the HC at Denver now. If anyone would know his tendencies, weaknesses, it's Josh.

Next.

Micjones
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd gladly take Cassel for the right price.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM

I'd do that if they would also take LJ out of our hands for a 3rd or a conditional 4th.

Cassel + NE1 + NE3 <-------> LJ + KC1

keg in kc
02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I can't imagine the Chiefs making any deals with New England. There'd be too much of a risk of "nepotism" complaints, conflict-of-interest.

King_Chief_Fan
02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I can't imagine the Chiefs making any deals with New England. There'd be too much of a risk of "nepotism" complaints, conflict-of-interest.

not to mention the possibility that Cassel is this years Derek Anderson, falls on his buttocks in KC and Pioli's career in KC starts off with a thud.

CupidStunt
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM

From who?

Because Pioli sure as hell won't care what us fans think.

dj56dt58
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
somebody tell this dumbass that nobody thought Ryan/Flacco were gonna do what they did either

Bowser
02-02-2009, 11:56 AM

Proctor just sprung wood.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Nah. Business is business.

rambleonthruthefog
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd gladly take Cassel for the right price.

i can live with him for a 3rd or a 4th pick. a 2nd seems a bit high, but if pioli wants him for our 2nd pick i'll bite my toungue.

Der Flöprer
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't want anything to do with him if we need to pay him $15 million dollars for next year. Let the Pats keep that salary.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
no thanks

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't want anything to do with him if we need to pay him $15 million dollars for next year. Let the Pats keep that salary.

Yep.

SOMEONE is going to be forced to pay him a shit-ton of money, I hope it's not us.

BigCatDaddy
02-02-2009, 12:11 PM

As usual in situations like this new deal is worked out before the trade is made. This what we did when we traded for Surtain.

R&GHomer
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM

:) No more out of you chuckles.

Consistent1
02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
It is really hard to judge what Cassel is worth. He could end up being pretty darn good, or just about average. It is too bad that he did not get put on the spot in a playoff situation. He helped the team go 11-5, what could he have done with the added pressure? It is good and bad for him. On one hand, he did not get the chance to flop. On the other, if he had a good playoff run....he would be in line for a big payday and the Pats would have easily gotten a few nice trade offers. Was what he did during the season a fluke, did the team situation do it all for him, was it Welker and Moss? Who knows right now....

aturnis
02-02-2009, 12:25 PM
somebody tell this dumbass that nobody thought Ryan/Flacco were gonna do what they did either

Neither of those QB's did anything outstanding. They managed games well enough for their good teams to win. If either was in K.C., they wouldn't have even been considered good.

Matt Ryan 16 TD's 11 Int's 16 games started

Joe Flacco 14 TD's 12 Int's 16 games started

Tyler Thigpen 18 TD's 12Int's 11 games started

Nothing outstanding. Would I be glad to have them? Yes. I would also be glad to have a lot of the players on their offenses.

wazimo
02-02-2009, 12:28 PM
If the Patriots would accept a 3rd rounder I would jump on it. I think they will more likely ask for a 1st and accept a 2nd.

It's a little far fetched but I would love to p/up Haynesworth in Free agency then draft Oher or Curry in the first, trade the 2nd for Boldin, and our 3rd for Cassell. We still have a ton of young players on our roster. This would make us much better on both offense and defense. Do we have enough money?

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
why aren't you banned anyway?

ChiefRon
02-02-2009, 12:34 PM

I agree with Jim Miller on this, but I actually hope it doesn't happen and we draft Sanchez or Stafford just so I can laugh at all the stupid posts on ChiefsPlanet.

DaFace
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I must've missed something. I thought that Cassell was UFA this season. What's with all the talk of draft picks? I know they may franchise him, but doesn't that come with a requirement that teams signing him give up a first round pick or something like that?

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
I must've missed something. I thought that Cassell was UFA this season. What's with all the talk of draft picks? I know they may franchise him, but doesn't that come with a requirement that teams signing him give up a first round pick or something like that?

franchise=2 1st rounders, but they can still trade him for whatever

Der Flöprer
02-02-2009, 12:54 PM

They franchise him and a team signs him they're obligated to 2 first round selections. I can't imagine Cassell saying yeah, I'll pass up $15 million for 1 year to get $30 million for 4. Which is about all he's worth at this point IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, the Pats fucked themselves when they went this route.

ChiefRon
02-02-2009, 12:54 PM

If they franchise him and another team signs him to an offer sheet, the Pats can decide whether to match the offer or not. If they decide to not match, they get the compensation from the other team, depending on the level of the tender offer.

Most likely, the team would negotiate compensation first to avoid having the pay the compensation related to the tender offer.

Der Flöprer
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
If they franchise him and another team signs him to an offer sheet, the Pats can decide whether to match the offer or not. If they decide to not match, they get the compensation from the other team, depending on the level of the tender offer.

Most likely, the team would negotiate compensation first to avoid having the pay the compensation related to the tender offer.

I think you're thinking of restricted free agency. If a team signs a franchise player without working out a deal with his team, they are required to give up 2 first round draft picks.

ChiefRon
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I think you're thinking of restricted free agency. If a team signs a franchise player without working out a deal with his team, they are required to give up 2 first round draft picks.

Yes, you are right, that's restricted FA.

But bottom line is the same: if a team was going to make a play for him, they would negotiate the compensation first to make sure it would make sense and it can be for less than 2 1st round picks.

nychief
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't know about Cassel yet... I mean I think we have to bring in a Vet and a Rookie QB this offseason, but am not sold on Cassel. We bring in Cassel and he is the guy.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM

But bottom line is the same: if a team was going to make a play for him, they would negotiate the compensation first to make sure it would make sense and it can be for less than 2 1st round picks.

Yeah, didn't we do this with JA?

Brock
02-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, didn't we do this with JA?

Yep

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
if you trade for cassel then you're stuck because he will demand a long term, starter money contract

better be sure

KCKY-Fan4life
02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I say we try and use our 2nd rounder for Cassel, its basically a low 1st round pick. THen we take Crabtree with our #3 pick. We are going to need to fill TOny G's void when he leaves in a few years. How awesome would it be to have 2 WR studs, like Bowe and Crabtree. It would be KC's best WR duo ever.

EyePod
02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
if you trade for cassel then you're stuck because he will demand a long term, starter money contract

better be sure

We aren't, and I don't think Pioli is either. *CROSSES FINGERS*

Sully
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I say we try and use our 2nd rounder for Cassel, its basically a low 1st round pick. THen we take Crabtree with our #3 pick. We are going to need to fill TOny G's void when he leaves in a few years. How awesome would it be to have 2 WR studs, like Bowe and Crabtree. It would be KC's best WR duo ever.

No.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
why aren't you banned anyway?

Good question. Shanahan's son was wondering about the same thing.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
franchise=2 1st rounders, but they can still trade him for whatever

If they franchise him and there are no takers, they are stuck with two expensive QBs.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 01:39 PM

High 2 is too much to pay for Cassel.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2009, 01:39 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ekQ_Ja02gTY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ekQ_Ja02gTY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Piss on Matt Cassel.

No, seriously.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/gatecrasher/index.html

New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel doesn’t like golden showers.

The football star was in line for the bathroom at ESPN’s Tampa Bay Super Bowl bash Friday night when a drunken reveler tried to cut in front of him. “Matt told him to wait his turn and headed into the urinals,” a spy tells us. Moments later, the fella barged in and proceeded to purposefully pee directly on Cassel’s leg. After security tossed the drunk, Cassel headed back out into the crowd, wet pants and all

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Why's everyone aginst bringing in Cassell?

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Because we want a franchise QB, not a college and NFL backup.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm not. But I don't want us to pay more than a third for him. I actually want us to sign his unfranchised ass outright.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Last year he was an NFL starter.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll take a 20 year old over a 26 year old. Especially when the younger QB has more experience, isn't the product of surrounding talent, has all the physical tools, and a lot more upside.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Yea an NFL backup that won 11 games his first year as a starter and threw 21 Td's? You'd rather draft an unproven QB who'll be drafted high by default?

Fritz88
02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Boston pundits trying to shove Cassel down our throats.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Yea an NFL backup that won 11 games his first year as a starter and threw 21 Td's? You'd rather draft an unproven QB who'll be drafted high by default?

That same team won 18 games last year, the only major difference was at QB.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM

An NFL backup that stepped into the most prolific offense in the league.

Which also seems to be a common occurrence at EVERY position for the Patriots. Guys get hurt, a nobody steps in and does the job.

Being successful in NE doesn't mean success elsewhere.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Really? So the injuries to all their starting Rbs, Rodney Harrison, Adulais Thomas, Ect. Had nothing to do with that? Of course Cassell isn't as good as Tom Brady but neither are most Qb's in the NFL.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Last year he was an NFL starter.

So were Tyler Thigpen and Dan Orslovsky. Your point?

Woodrow Call
02-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Since quite a few of these CP QB gurus were anti-Ryan pro-Croyle this time last year, I wouldn't put much stock into it.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Its easy to put up passing yards when all your doing is passing to Moss and Welker. Your probably someone who thinks Moss didn't make Cullpepper too right?

Basileus777
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM

That's a bullshit comparison and you know it. Cassel is an NFL starter. Is he a franchise QB? Probably not.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Yeah, ignore the fact that he was QBing a team that went 16-0 the previous year and has outstanding WRs. 21TDs? With the team and WRs he had that's an unimpressive number.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:37 PM
You probably also think Bowe didn't make Russell in college either huh?

missinDThomas
Since quite a few of these CP QB gurus were anti-Ryan pro-Croyle this time last year, I wouldn't put much stock into it.

word.

DaKCMan AP
That's a bullshit comparison and you know it. Cassel is an NFL starter. Is he a franchise QB? Probably not.

That's all that matters. I don't want a guy who can be a NFL starter, I want a franchise QB.

Basileus777
Yeah, ignore the fact that he was QBing a team that went 16-0 the previous year and has outstanding WRs. 21TDs? With the team and WRs he had that's an unimpressive number.

Did you actually watch him play? The guy improved drastically as the season progressed. He started off as a checkdown guy and by the end of the season he was making plays. I don't want to trade for him, but to simply dismiss him like that is just silly.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Cassel threw 20 TD passing more while Brady threw 50 in the same offense. Hes GREAT!

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:38 PM

You must not have watched many Patriots games. They didn't use Cassell the same way they used Brady. Honestly you're really nitpicking too. Are you trying to say the reason the Pats missed the playoffs was because Matt Cassell? Comparing the 2007 team to the 2008 team is comparing apples to oranges.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Cassel threw 20 TD passing more while Brady threw 50 in the same offense. Hes GREAT!

Coming from a guy who has Matt Stafford in his avtar i'd say your evaluation on what a good QB is doesn't mean much.

RustShack
I'll draft my own QBotF before grabbing someone elses castoff.

OnTheWarpath58

Exactly.

Derek Anderson, Part II.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Did you actually watch him play? The guy improved drastically as the season progressed. He started off as a checkdown guy and by the end of the season he was making plays. I don't want to trade for him, but to simply dismiss him like that is just silly.

Yes, I watched a few of his games and he can go somewhere and QB a team but I don't want him to be my starter. He made some plays, other times he figured out he could just chuck a jump ball to Moss.

Chocolate Hog

Good thing you weren't our GM in the 60's. I guess Len Dawson was a "castoff".

RustShack
Coming from a guy who has Matt Stafford in his avtar i'd say your evaluation on what a good QB is doesn't mean much.

Even though the rest of the world has Stafford projected as a top pick too huh. No one knows what they are talking about but you.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
You must not have watched many Patriots games. They didn't use Cassell the same way they used Brady. Honestly you're really nitpicking too. Are you trying to say the reason the Pats missed the playoffs was because Matt Cassell? Comparing the 2007 team to the 2008 team is comparing apples to oranges.

If they had Brady at QB do you think they would have made the playoffs?

Chocolate Hog
Yes, I watched a few of his games and he can go somewhere and QB a team but I don't want him to be my starter. He made some plays, other times he figured out he could just chuck a jump ball to Moss.

You don't think he can chuck a jump ball to Bowe? Thats how Thigpen had success. If Haley is our coach Bowe will be used like Fitzgeralrd.

RustShack

Oh shit bring up the 60's when the game was totally different. You are one of the most clueless pieces of shit here aren't you?

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
You don't think he can chuck a jump ball to Bowe? Thats how Thigpen had success. If Haley is our coach Bowe will be used like Fitzgeralrd.

Bowe <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Moss, Fitzgerald

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
If they had Brady at QB do you think they would have made the playoffs?

Probably. I'm not saying Cassell is Tom Brady but I'm saying Cassell is a damn good QB. You could also argue that if the Pats learned how to defend the wildcat they would have been in the playoffs or if some of there key defensive players or even running backs wouldn't have been injured they would have made the playoffs. Cassell played good enough for that team to make it to the playoffs.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Actually Thigpen has his success throwing it to Gonzales since Bowe has shown on multiple occasions he has trouble catching the ball.

Basileus777
Come on now, you guys are seriously comparing a dude who hadn't played since high school with a HOFer? Cassel was basically learning how to play the position in the NFL this year.

OnTheWarpath58

Yeah, the game hasn't changed AT ALL in the past FORTY years.

If this were the 60's, some of you guys would be begging to wait until the 16th round to draft a QB.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh shit bring up the 60's when the game was totally different. You are one of the most clueless pieces of shit here aren't you?

lol so you don't have a point and have to refer to name calling? Sure the game is different but still Len Dawson was a cast off no? Kurt Warner was a cast off no?

OnTheWarpath58
Probably. I'm not saying Cassell is Tom Brady but I'm saying Cassell is a damn good QB. You could also argue that if the Pats learned how to defend the wildcat they would have been in the playoffs or if some of there key defensive players or even running backs wouldn't have been injured they would have made the playoffs. Cassell played good enough for that team to make it to the playoffs.

Derek Anderson is a damn good QB.

Er, oops.

RustShack

You must love Sanchez too since hes only had one year of starting experience too. Were you dying for us to trade for Anderson after his one successful year?

Chocolate Hog
Actually Thigpen has his success throwing it to Gonzales since Bowe has shown on multiple occasions he has trouble catching the ball.

Actually No he threw the ball quite a bit to Bowe too. Must not have watched that Saints game eh? There were plenty of games where Thigpen threw a jump ball to Bowe.

RINGLEADER
Don't know enough about Cassel. But what would everyone's opinion be of this:

Chiefs trade second round pick to NE for Cassel.
Chiefs trade first round pick to Eagles for their two first round picks and their second round pick?

In deference to Michael Phelps please no bong smilies... :)

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
lol so you don't have a point and have to refer to name calling? Sure the game is different but still Len Dawson was a cast off no? Kurt Warner was a cast off no?

You can name a few, but since you like to go against the odds you are probably for drafting a QB in the 6th round instead too because its been done?

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
You must love Sanchez too since hes only had one year of starting experience too. Were you dying for us to trade for Anderson after his one successful year?

Nope. I don't like Sanchez thats been well documented and find a post where I said we should have traded for Derek Anderson.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 02:46 PM

And maybe the schedule. And maybe because every year is different.

RustShack
Actually No he threw the ball quite a bit to Bowe too. Must not have watched that Saints game eh? There were plenty of games where Thigpen threw a jump ball to Bowe.

There you go again, you can say an exception so the rest of the games don't matter.

Chocolate Hog
Bowe <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Moss, Fitzgerald

Whered I say that? Those 2 players are the best WR's on there team and Bowe is the best WR on our team. He's tall and athletic are you saying Haley wouldn't utilize him like he did with Fitzgerald?

RustShack
Nope. I don't like Sanchez thats been well documented and find a post where I said we should have traded for Derek Anderson.

Why wouldn't you? Its the same situation.

ChiefsCountry
02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Bringing up the AFL days when all the players early on were castoffs. Nice comparsion jackass.

Chocolate Hog
There you go again, you can say an exception so the rest of the games don't matter.

I was pointing out the Saints game but there were plenty of other games where we threw jump balls to Bowe. Do you got something of substance to offer or are you going to play stupid/skew things?

RustShack
Is it just me, or do the n00bs keep getting dumber and dumber?

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Bringing up the AFL days when all the players early on were castoffs. Nice comparsion jackass.

Kurt Warner is a better example. Sorry you're a simpleton.

DaKCMan AP
Whered I say that? Those 2 players are the best WR's on there team and Bowe is the best WR on our team. He's tall and athletic are you saying Haley wouldn't utilize him like he did with Fitzgerald?

Players like Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald make their QBs better. Bowe is not that type of player, at least not yet.

Anyong Bluth
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cpc024%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> IF they come to the decision based on their evaluation of the top 2 QB’s in the draft not being their QBOTF, based on grading out, value at their pick vs other guys on the board they like better… then maybe I could see this going down.
<o:p> </o:p>
But, I’d like to offer nothing more than a 3<sup>rd</sup>. It’s a high 3<sup>rd</sup>, and I don’t think he’s worth our high 2<sup>nd</sup>. At worst, swap 2<sup>nd</sup> round picks with them and give them our 4<sup>th</sup>. Of course, NE isn’t going to want to part with getting so little in return- esp. when Brady’s recovery is in limbo and there is no proven reliable other backup up in beantown. I don’t think they can feasible try and tag him b/c they’d have to pay him 14.25 mil next year at the minimum. That’s a huge gamble, and that cap hit would seriously screw with their ability to field their 53 man roster as they’d like and they’d be stupid to screw with the team’s roster for cap space when they have a good shot at another title for at least a few years, presumably… ?
Pioli would already know this like the back of his hand in regards to MC being a true starter caliber QB. However, if KC doesn’t take a sniff of the guy during FA, other teams are going to take notice of his apparent lack of interest. Of course Pioli could also do this just to try to drive down his value, both in terms of offering a draft pick to get him and negotiating his contract? See how much more control you can leverage when you have a tight ship that doesn’t have a bunch of leaks!
If we did go that route, Pioli could then go his normal course of selecting a QB in the later rounds of the draft like he’s done each year.. I thought I remember hearing that Rhett Bomar had himself a fairly good showing during Senior Bowl week, and would be someone of good value depending on how late you can take a runner on the guy?
For whoever mentioned picking up Boldin in FA, I’d LOVE to do that. After the guy had his face broken earlier this year and he managed to come back after 4 weeks, when most players would have sat out the rest of the year, and the fact he refused to take any painkillers with that much damage- he can play for my team any day of the week. Dude just loves playing football. If Haley ended up being our HC, he might be able to sway him to come along, but I thought I heard that LF was offering to redo his contract so AZ could resign him? I don’t think Haley and Boldin have any bad blood regardless of their little skirmish on the sidelines.

<!-- message -->
No, seriously.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/ga...her/index.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/gatecrasher/index.html)

New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel doesn’t like golden showers.

The football star was in line for the bathroom at ESPN’s Tampa Bay Super Bowl bash Friday night when a drunken reveler tried to cut in front of him. “Matt told him to wait his turn and headed into the urinals,” a spy tells us. Moments later, the fella barged in and proceeded to purposefully pee directly on Cassel’s leg. After security tossed the drunk, Cassel headed back out into the crowd, wet pants and all

It was Pollard that pissed on him. Dude seriously does not like NE QB's!!

Frankie

My point is that he no longer counts as an inexperienced back up. He is the same risk as any QB taken in the draft. I consider his training at NE the same, if not better than the one any college QB receives in his college career.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Do you not realize the difference in likelihood between finding a Kurt Warner and drafting a Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger?

Dicky McElephant
Don't know enough about Cassel. But what would everyone's opinion be of this:

Chiefs trade second round pick to NE for Cassel.
Chiefs trade first round pick to Eagles for their two first round picks and their second round pick?

In deference to Michael Phelps please no bong smilies... :)

If they had a snorting meth smilie....I'd use it here.

Chocolate Hog
Is it just me, or do the n00bs keep getting dumber and dumber?

Is it just me or do you have nothing of substance to say? Funny when people are challenged on this site they have to play the n00b card. Your whole argument about Cassells suscess is because of Moss and Welker and yet you want us to draft Matt Stafford who was an average QB.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Do you play the powerball a lot? Seems like you think you can always defy all odds and hit the jackpot.

DaKCMan AP
My point is that he no longer counts as an inexperienced back up. He is the same risk as any QB taken in the draft. I consider his training at NE the same, if not better than the one any college QB receives in his college career.

Yeah, except he's older and has less upside. From reading many of your takes I find that if you want to go in one direction I hope the Chiefs do the opposite.

Chocolate Hog
Do you not realize the difference in likelihood between finding a Kurt Warner and drafting a Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger?

I certainly do but for every Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger theres a Ryan Leaf or Cade McNown.

Frankie

This.

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Is it just me or do you have nothing of substance to say? Funny when people are challenged on this site they have to play the n00b card. Your whole argument about Cassells suscess is because of Moss and Welker and yet you want us to draft Matt Stafford who was an average QB.

So who should we draft all knowing powerful one?

RustShack

Stafford played behind a worse Oline than Cassel and didn't have WR's nearly as good either.

ChiefsCountry
Signing/trading for Cassel is what this franchise has done since Dawson retired other the Blackledge and Croyle, they have never tried to get their own QB. I'm sorry if dumbfucks want to keep doing status quo.

RustShack
So who should we draft all knowing powerful one?

He doesn't want to draft anyone, he wants to trade for one year wonders.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I certainly do but for every Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger theres a Ryan Leaf or Cade McNown.

For every Kurt Warner there are thousands and thousands of Casey Printers and James Killians.

Dicky McElephant

For every Joe Thomas....there is a Robert Gallery.

For every Larry Fitzgerald....there is a Mike Williams.

For every.........

I could go on and on....so what's your fucking point?

Frankie

I think the NE of two seasons ago was a fluke, at least partially. I have a hard time believing they would have equaled that performance this year, even with Brady.

RustShack

For every Kurt Warner there are A LOT more shitty QB's.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Signing/trading for Cassel is what this franchise has done since Dawson retired other the Blackledge and Croyle, they have never tried to get their own QB. I'm sorry if dumb****s want to keep doing status quo.

You don't always need to draft your own QB to win is the point. If we had a good GM we would have made atleast 1 super bowl with Trent Green as the Qb.

DaKCMan AP
Signing/trading for Cassel is what this franchise has done since Dawson retired other the Blackledge and Croyle, they have never tried to get their own QB. I'm sorry if dumb****s want to keep doing status quo.

This. No more Steve Bono's or Elvis Grbac's, please.

OnTheWarpath58
I think the NE of two seasons ago was a fluke, at least partially. I have a hard time believing they would have equaled that performance this year, even with Brady.

ROFL

DEAR GOD.

DaKCMan AP
You don't always need to draft your own QB to win is the point. If we had a good GM we would have made atleast 1 super bowl with Trent Green as the Qb.

ROFL

:homer:

Basileus777
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Not really. This franchise has never traded for a young qb.

I'd rather draft Stafford/Sanchez, but all this irrational hate for Cassel is just crazy.

DaKCMan AP

Thanks for proving my point.

Chocolate Hog
For every Joe Thomas....there is a Robert Gallery.

For every Larry Fitzgerald....there is a Mike Williams.

For every.........

I could go on and on....so what's your ****ing point?

My fucking point is Matt Cassell is more proven then any of those QB's we can win with him. This team has alot of holes you can get Cassell and fill another whole with an impact player at the 3rd pick.

ChiefsCountry
This. No more Steve Bono's or Elvis Grbac's, please.

Or Bill Kenneys or Steve DeBerg or Dave Kreig or Joe Montana or Trent Green

OnTheWarpath58

http://i39.tinypic.com/ifoh28.jpg

dirk digler
02-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Yep plus the whole idea of Matt Cassel being a good QB is stupid. I would rather take my chance with Thigpen or draft Stafford or Sanchez.

Chocolate Hog
ROFL

:homer:

Yeah you're right cause our offense with Trent Green sucked. It wasn't the #1 rated or anything. We didn't lose that playoff game cause our defense couldn't make the other team punt.

DaKCMan AP

I'd rather draft Stafford/Sanchez, but all this irrational hate for Cassel is just crazy.

Grbac was 27. Cassel will be 27 in May.

missinDThomas
all answers point to resigning medlock

RustShack
My fucking point is Matt Cassell is more proven then any of those QB's we can win with him. This team has alot of holes you can get Cassell and fill another whole with an impact player at the 3rd pick.

It would take the 3rd pick to get Cassell dumbass.

Basileus777
Yep plus the whole idea of Matt Cassel being a good QB is stupid.

wat?

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Or Bill Kenneys or Steve DeBerg or Dave Kreig or Joe Montana or Trent Green

So you're saying bringing in Trent Green (the guy who set franchise records) was a bad trade?

ChiefsCountry
Yeah you're right cause our offense with Trent Green sucked. It wasn't the #1 rated or anything. We didn't lose that playoff game cause our defense couldn't make the other team punt.

New England would have kicked our ass the next week anyways.

DaKCMan AP

Your argument is retarded. You can look at any team and say, "If they would have had ____" they could have made a Super Bowl. It's a beyond dumb statement.

ChiefsCountry
So you're saying bringing in Trent Green (the guy who set franchise records) was a bad trade?

Yes it was. I liked Trent alot but he wasnt the guy to get us over the hump.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:57 PM

So you want us to go Carl Peterson style and just buy/trade for a team so we have a small window to win the Super Bowl instead of building a great young team through the draft?

Chocolate Hog

No it wouldn't you're really delusional. First you think Stafford is a good QB then you think it'd take the 3rd overall pick to get Cassell. Do you even watch football?

DaKCMan AP
My ****ing point is Matt Cassell is more proven then any of those QB's we can win with him. This team has alot of holes you can get Cassell and fill another whole with an impact player at the 3rd pick.

How do you plan on getting Matt Cassel AND retaining the 3rd pick?

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 02:58 PM
So you want us to go Carl Peterson style and just buy/trade for a team so we have a small window to win the Super Bowl instead of building a great young team through the draft?

Matt Cassell is 26 and has barley played. He probably has atleast 10 more good years of playing. You do know the Patriots made trades for veterans to make it to super bowls right? Again I don't think you even watch football.

Basileus777
I highly doubt it would take the 3rd pick to get Cassel. A package of seconds is probably what you would be looking at.

Dicky McElephant

More proven? Because he started for arguably the best team in the NFL......and threw 20 TDs? Because before the NFL....he hadn't started a game since High School?

OnTheWarpath58

Please, explain why it's irrational.

Irrational is expecting a 27 year old QB, who had never started a game since HS, and played in the most prolific offense of this decade - to be able to replicate his performance with another team - specifically one that is as devoid of talent as the Chiefs are.

Irrational is using a draft pick to trade for said 27 year old, instead of using it on a guy who's 20/21.

dirk digler
wat?

You think Cassel is a good QB? I don't. I think you take him out of NE he will suck big time.

Chocolate Hog
How do you plan on getting Matt Cassel AND retaining the 3rd pick?

Trade the 2nd rounder and some of next years picks. None of us know what the Patriots are asking for Cassell so we can only speculate at this point.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM

What's up with the aggression and the name calling?! This is a football debate, for crying out loud. CHILL!

RustShack
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM
No it wouldn't you're really delusional. First you think Stafford is a good QB then you think it'd take the 3rd overall pick to get Cassell. Do you even watch football?

What does watching football have to do with what the Patriots want for Cassel? Do they make trades on the field? But as for your question yes, and they way you talk I think its safe to say I watch a lot more football than you. But I have a question, are you 10?

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Matt Cassell is 26 and has barley played. He probably has atleast 10 more good years of playing. You do know the Patriots made trades for veterans to make it to super bowls right? Again I don't think you even watch football.

First, he'll be 27 when the season starts.

Second, if you think he'll play until he's 37, all I can do is laugh at you.

There is a better chance that he washes out of the league before his 30th birthday than lead a team not located in Foxboro, Massachusetts to the playoffs.

Chocolate Hog
More proven? Because he started for arguably the best team in the NFL......and threw 20 TDs? Because before the NFL....he hadn't started a game since High School?

The Patriots weren't the best team this year comparing the 2007 to the 2008 team is apples to oranges. Are you saying it was Cassells fault for not making the playoffs? Clearly thats not true. No Rodney Harrison, Adulais Thomas, and all of those starting Rb's played a bigger part and he still won 11 games his first year as a starter.

RustShack
Trade the 2nd rounder and some of next years picks. None of us know what the Patriots are asking for Cassell so we can only speculate at this point.

Cassel isn't even worth our high 2nd round pick.

Basileus777
You think Cassel is a good QB? I don't. I think you take him out of NE he will suck big time.

I don't think he will suck. I think he will a solid starter.

I don't want to trade for him, I just think all this crazy hate for him is getting a bit out of hand. He actually wasn't just lobbing balls to Moss all year long. Hell, if Moss hadn't dropped a couple of easy passes, the Pats would have made the playoffs.

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
The Patriots weren't the best team this year comparing the 2007 to the 2008 team is apples to oranges. Are you saying it was Cassells fault for not making the playoffs? Clearly thats not true. No Rodney Harrison, Adulais Thomas, and all of those starting Rb's played a bigger part and he still won 11 games his first year as a starter.

The guy had Moss and Welker at WR....and he threw 20 TDs. What do you thinks he's going to do on this team?

RustShack
If your throwing the ball to Moss and Welker behind a good Oline, you better be able to put up more than 20 TD's.

Chocolate Hog
What does watching football have to do with what the Patriots want for Cassel? Do they make trades on the field? But as for your question yes, and they way you talk I think its safe to say I watch a lot more football than you. But I have a question, are you 10?

My point is you're an idiot who probably gets his talking points from ESPN. Funny you ask if i'm 10 when you're the one throwing insults. Pot+Kettle Black?

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
The guy had Moss and Welker at WR....and he threw 20 TDs. What do you thinks he's going to do on this team?

Tony Gonzalez & Dwayne Bowe are pretty damn good.

Frankie
02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
ROFL

DEAR GOD.

So you went to another dimension and fount out my claim was laughable. :rolleyes:

dirk digler
02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't think he will suck. I think he will a solid starter.

I don't want to trade for him, I just think all this crazy hate for him is getting a bit out of hand. He actually wasn't just lobbing balls to Moss all year long. Hell, if Moss hadn't dropped a couple of easy passes, the Pats would have made the playoffs.

He reminds me alot of Matt Schaub but worse.

Basileus777
02-02-2009, 03:04 PM
If your throwing the ball to Moss and Welker behind a good Oline, you better be able to put up more than 20 TD's.

He was basically a checkdown guy early in the season, that's why he didn't throw many TDs. He was throwing a lot more later in the season once he improved and they opened up the offense for him.

He was also sacked 47 times behind that oline. He wasn't being protected well early in the season.

Dicky McElephant

Gonzo and Bowe aren't anywhere close to Moss and Welker. He threw 20 TDs to arguably one of the most talented WRs of our time....and Welker is a damn good WR.

RustShack
My point is you're an idiot who probably gets his talking points from ESPN. Funny you ask if i'm 10 when you're the one throwing insults. Pot+Kettle Black?

Even though you just called me an idiot... douche bag.

Frankie

ROFL You actually believe that?

Basileus777
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
He reminds me alot of Matt Schaub but worse.

I think he's a bit better than Schaub, but Schaub's main problem is that he's made of glass, not that he sucks.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Gonzo is going to retire soon and Bowe drops more balls than anyone...

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Even though you just called me an idiot... douche bag.

That's not calling you a name acting like an idiot is an action. They need to improve the schools in Iowa.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
So you went to another dimension and fount out my claim was laughable. :rolleyes:

I don't have to go anywhere, Frankie.

You embarrass yourself on your own, in this dimension.

Sure, the most prolific offense of the decade was a fluke.

Please, go and find someone that agrees with you, and I'll laugh at him too.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Gonzo and Bowe aren't anywhere close to Moss and Welker. He threw 20 TDs to arguably one of the most talented WRs of our time....and Welker is a damn good WR.

Gonzo is the most talented Tight end of our time? You aren't giving Bowe much credit he's a good a reciever.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I'll take a QB with the potential to be great instead of a serviceable starter. We already have Thigpen, why the hell would we wan't Cassel?

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Gonzo is the most talented Tight end of our time? You aren't giving Bowe much credit he's a good a reciever.

Gonzo has maybe 1-2 years left.....IF he doesn't get traded.

Bowe is a good receiver who drops WAYYYYY too many balls.

Der Flöprer
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Totally. Honestly though, for me I wouldn't want him and the Pats first round pick for our 7th. I don't want anywhere near that 15 million he's getting next season. He's flat out not worth it.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Those are good points. If you look at the leaders in dropped balls though you'll see most of them are elite WR's. I think Haley will be our next coach and Bowe will improve. He's only played 2 seasons and has already set team records.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Those are good points. If you look at the leaders in dropped balls though you'll see most of them are elite WR's. I think Haley will be our next coach and Bowe will improve. He's only played 2 seasons and has already set team records.

You keep on believing what the media tells you buddy.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
You keep on believing what the media tells you buddy.

Keep trying to peigon hole the debate cause you have nothing of substance to offer, buddy.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Keep trying to peigon hole the debate cause you have nothing of substance to offer, buddy.

I bet you were devastated when Carl stepped down, what you want are Carl moves.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:19 PM
I bet you were devastated when Carl stepped down, what you want are Carl moves.

lol trading for players is carl moves? You do know that the Patriots traded for veterans and signed older players right? Actually I called Jack hairys show after the San Diego game and said Carl should be fired and we should go after Pioli & Josh McDaniels.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
lol trading for players is carl moves? You do know that the Patriots traded for veterans and signed older players right? Actually I called Jack hairys show after the San Diego game and said Carl should be fired and we should go after Pioli & Josh McDaniels.

The Patriots traded for some vets, but drafted every QB who has started a game for them for the last 15 years.

Thread over.

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
The Patriots traded for some vets, but drafted every QB who has started a game for them for the last 15 years.

Thread over.

And that has to do with Cassell being a good QB because...?

Rausch
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Thread over.

Two of which went to super bowls...

Chocolate Hog
02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Are you saying Matt Sanchez or Matt Stafford will be Tom Brady?

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Are you saying Matt Sanchez or Matt Stafford will be Tom Brady?

7 of the last 8 Super Bowl Champions drafted their SB winning QB. You'll find that teams that win SBs more often than not draft and develop their own franchise QB.

noa
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm too lazy to read this whole thread, so this is probably a re-post, but I just don't understand why the Pats would trade away Cassel when they have no idea when Brady will be back to full strength. I understand there's a timetable for his return, but who knows how long it will take for him to actually be back to form.

kstater
02-02-2009, 04:01 PM

What records has Bowe set?

MVChiefFan
02-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Surpassed Sammie Parker for most dropped passes.

Rausch
02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Surpassed Sammie Parker for most dropped passes.

Parker or Willie Davis?...:hmmm:

jAZ
02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
In Scott I trust.

I'm skeptical of Stafford, always have been. That this guy is suggesting that NEITHER QB is going in the top 10 makes me concerned.

ChiefRon
02-02-2009, 04:22 PM
In Scott I trust.

I'm skeptical of Stafford, always have been. That this guy is suggesting that NEITHER QB is going in the top 10 makes me concerned.

I've heard a few guys say that on Sirius, that none of these QBs are worth a top 10 pick, even Gil Brandt the other day as well as Pat Kirwan. Kirwan even followed that up with, "in fact, if you're looking for a QB, Matt Cassel sure does look good when you're staring at this draft class"...

Rausch
02-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I've heard a few guys say that on Sirius, that none of these QBs are worth a top 10 pick, even Gil Brandt the other day as well as Pat Kirwan. Kirwan even followed that up with, "in fact, if you're looking for a QB, Matt Cassel sure does look good when you're staring at this draft class"...

And this about a guy none of those douches would have thought was worth a draft pick his rookie year...

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 04:25 PM

most receiving yards as a rookie? maybe the most in his first 2 years

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 04:26 PM

look at TG's first and second years

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM

That is such an absurd statement on it's face.

Matt Cassel sure does look good when staring at Stafford and Sanchez?

Why? Because he's older, sat for a few years to learn a system, and performed admirably in an offense loaded with great players?

Matt Cassel couldn't beat out Stafford or Sanchez if all three were in college at the same time, so the only reason he would look better than either now is because he's older and has actually played in the NFL.

I think it's nuts to think Cassel is so far above Stafford/Sanchez, yet he would ride the pine behind both in college. You can't discount the two QBs simply because they haven't had the chance to play pro ball yet.

If Cassel excelled in the NFL, then there's absolutely no reason to think Stafford or Sanchez wouldn't do as well or better in a similar system.

BWillie
02-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Why? Because he's older, sat for a few years to learn a system, and performed admirably in an offense loaded with great players?

Matt Cassel couldn't beat out Stafford or Sanchez if all three were in college at the same time, so the only reason he would look better than either now is because he's older and has actually played in the NFL.

I think it's nuts to think Cassel is so far above Stafford/Sanchez, yet he would ride the pine behind both in college. You can't discount the two QBs simply because they haven't had the chance to play pro ball yet.

If Cassel excelled in the NFL, then there's absolutely no reason to think Stafford or Sanchez wouldn't do as well or better in a similar system.

And I wish I had enough time to list out all the first round QB draft pick bursts. Nobody knows for sure if Stafford or Sanchez will succeed, but what they do know is Matt Cassel was for the most part a successful starting QB for one year.

kstater
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
most receiving yards as a rookie? maybe the most in his first 2 years

Oh, I thought it was something important.

ChiefRon
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM

It raised my eyebrow when I heard it. I respect both of them, they seem like they really know talent evaluation, but these statements through me off.

I'm thinking it's because of 'known commodity' vs. 'potential'. Haven't had time to call in to get him to clarify. I would think if you're a young team building for the long term, the 'potential' would be more important than NFL experience/known commodity.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh, I thought it was something important.

NOPE not yet at least

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
And I wish I had enough time to list out all the first round QB draft pick bursts. Nobody knows for sure if Stafford or Sanchez will succeed, but what they do know is Matt Cassel was for the most part a successful starting QB for one year.

And what we also know is that Stafford and Sanchez have loads more talent than Cassel has or ever had, so there's really no reason to think they couldn't do what Cassel did if they were in a similar situation.

BWillie
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
And what we also know is that Stafford and Sanchez have loads more talent than Cassel has or ever had, so there's really no reason to think they couldn't do what Cassel did if they were in a similar situation.

Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell have alot of talent. You cannot predict with a amazing degree of certainty how Stafford and Sanchez will perform in the league. IMO, I think Stafford and Sanchez will both be better QB's than Cassel...but I wouldn't be surprised to see either one of them fall flat on their face either.

Rausch
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM

One year.

That's not a lock vs. risk argument to me...

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell have alot of talent. You cannot predict with a amazing degree of certainty how Stafford and Sanchez will perform in the league. IMO, I think Stafford and Sanchez will both be better QB's than Cassel...but I wouldn't be surprised to see either one of them fall flat on their face either.

Yeah, and Derek Anderson had one good year too.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see either bust too, but that's not the point.

My point is that it is ridiculous to view Cassel as some sort of great QB due to one season of production after being virtually anonymous for so many years, and that's what Brandt seemed to imply with his quote.

lazepoo
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Look, I want us to draft a quarterback as much as anyone on this board (hoping for a dirty sanchez, but stafford looks good as well) but to say that a full year of experience in arguably the toughest division in the NFL means nothing is just as myopic as the arguments I keep seeing on here against drafting a rookie qb. The fact of the matter is that Cassel succeeded against NFL teams and improved as the season progressed. JFC. With the way the two sides are entrenched on this debate, you'd think it was Go-Bots vs. Voltron or something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a QB as well as hire one in FA to compete for the starting spot. I will, however, rest easier knowing that the cupboard won't be bare at the position like it was in the past (read -King Carl years) regardless of which route we take. You can't win without a decent QB in the NFL, and our record last year proved that our roster needed a serious upgrade at the position.

chiefzilla1501
02-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Yup. And Kirwan and Brandt are two of the best draft gurus in the business.

But you'll never convince those set in their ways that the absolutely, positively, 100% sure path to success is to take a QB in the top 5, even if he doesn't earn a top 5 rating.

Sam Hall
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
This is nothing more than an obvious rumor that has no legs. It's like all the rumors about Dayton Moore making deals with the Braves.

milkman
02-02-2009, 07:49 PM

But you'll never convince those set in their ways that the absolutely, positively, 100% sure path to success is to take a QB in the top 5, even if he doesn't earn a top 5 rating.

I just think it is great how you keep putting words into people's mouths.

DaKCMan AP
02-02-2009, 07:50 PM

ROFL

Are you talking about the Pat Kirwan who had Brian Brohm and Chad Henne ranked ahead of Joe Flacco?

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
That's all that matters. I don't want a guy who can be a NFL starter, I want a franchise QB.

We all want that, but I don't think there is one available this year.

Marcellus
02-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Bingo.

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Bret Favre was a castoff too. I guess the Packers are sorry they signed him...

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:14 PM

There is no Peyton Manning in this years draft, and probably not a Ben Roethlisberger either. If there was a Peyton Manning I would be all for using our #3 for him.

DJ's left nut
02-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I think he's a bit better than Schaub, but Schaub's main problem is that he's made of glass, not that he sucks.

Holy crap, really?

Cassel is an extremely mediocre QB with fantastic weapons. His arm is average at best and he's incredibly inaccurate. Even more disconcerting is that his mechanics aren't that bad, so I'm not even sure he could be coached up much more.

Schaub is an elite passer. He's accurate, he has a plus arm, he throws a great ball on both long and intermediate routes. As far as a pure thrower goes, he's easily in the top 10 in the league, I'd listen to arguments that he's close to the top 5. Yes, he's a statue and he's immobile, but he's a great pure passer.

Cassel isn't anywhere near him, IMO.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Bret Favre was a castoff too. I guess the Packers are sorry they signed him...

They traded their 1st round pick for him pal that's not "finding" him...

And I loved Roethlisberger out of college and I'll tell you what...I think these 2 guys are as good a prospects as Eli Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger were...These guys would be well regarded any year, we really need to stop using that argument it was used last year too because people didn't want a QB.

There is nothing to not like about Mark Sanchez.

Marcellus
02-02-2009, 08:17 PM
There is no Peyton Manning in this years draft, and probably not a Ben Roethlisberger either. If there was a Peyton Manning I would be all for using our #3 for him.

Bingo x2.

I will be so glad when the draft passes and this debate is over.Well at least for the most part.

DJ's left nut
02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
There is nothing to not like about Mark Sanchez.

NFL player personnel men throughout the league disagree vehemently with this.

But if Mecca says so...

milkman
02-02-2009, 08:19 PM

There may not be a Peyton Manning in this draft, but the Colts didn't know they were getting the Peyton Manning they got when they drafted him.

The Colts had questions about Manning when they drafted him, and Polian said they went back and forth and didn't make the decsion to draft him until the very last minute.

There is no such thing as a sure thing in the draft.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:20 PM
If the Chiefs don't take a QB and the guy they pass on one or both of them turn into franchise QB, all of the same people that didn't want a QB will be calling them stupid fucks.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:20 PM

But if Mecca says so...

Because teams just tip their hands 3 months before the draft...

DJ's left nut
02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Ultimately I think the Chiefs probably have to take a QB.

But to say there's absolutely nothing wrong with Mark Sanchez just reeks of fanboy.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Ultimately I think the Chiefs probably have to take a QB.

But to say there's absolutely nothing wrong with Mark Sanchez just reeks of fanboy.

Tell me what's wrong with him...really I'd love to hear all these supposed problems he has.

I'm extremely hard on prospects that have top 5 grades by the way.

The Bad Guy
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
There wasn't one person who thought that Flacco would be as good as he was.

There is no way to know if Sanchez or Stafford is Flacco or Ryan without finding the hell out.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM

But if Mecca says so...

They also doubted Manning coming out. There will never, and never has been a player that everyone pegged as great. Hell, almost every year the guy thats supposed to be the safest bet ends up being the bust.

ChiefsCountry
02-02-2009, 08:29 PM

You are right not one but two.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 08:29 PM
If Stafford and Sanchez played in spread offenses they would have put up huge stats, and you all would love them because the media would then tell you they will be great because of the stats they put up.

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
If the Chiefs don't take a QB and the guy they pass on one or both of them turn into franchise QB, all of the same people that didn't want a QB will be calling them stupid ****s.

And if the Chiefs take Stafford or Sanchez and they turn out to be a bust, all the people that wanted them will do the same.

And if a pig had wings it could fly.

"If" doesn't mean much.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
If Stafford and Sanchez played in spread offenses they would have put up huge stats, and you all would love them because the media would then tell you they will be great because of the stats they put up.

People around here seem to think Sam Bradford is a better prospect than Mark Sanchez, it's laughable.

Big 12 spread baby!

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
And if the Chiefs take Stafford or Sanchez and they turn out to be a bust, all the people that wanted them will do the same.

And if a pig had wings it could fly.

"If" doesn't mean much.

If you don't like these guys you are never going to like a QB because no one is a stone cold lock, we hear this argument every year "these Qb's aren't worth it" you can't make that argument every year unless you are just going to admit you frankly do not ever want to pick a QB.

RustShack
02-02-2009, 08:36 PM
You say some people say Sanchez isn't worth the pick, while most do. OK serious question, who the fuck are these people? Do they work for NFL teams? Do you know what NFL teams really think of these players? If these gurus are so great why the fuck aren't they working for a team? Why do you think Stafford and Sanchez suck? Is is because they don't play in the spread offense so they didn't put up Bradfords stats? Do you know who Colt Brennan is?

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:37 PM
If you don't like these guys you are never going to like a QB because no one is a stone cold lock, we hear this argument every year "these Qb's aren't worth it" you can't make that argument every year unless you are just going to admit you frankly do not ever want to pick a QB.

Not true. I would have taken Peyton at #3 in a second.

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Do you know who Colt Brennan is?

Yup, I watched pretty much every game he played in at UH. You might notice my sig.....

I wouldn't draft him at #3 either......

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM

So basically unless the guy is the 1 in 20 years prospect you don't want him....I guess we better keep sucking every year so that magical player happens to be there.

RustShack

Yeah after seeing what he is now of course you would dumbass.

splatbass
If Pioli drafts Stafford or Sanchez I'll trust him. If he trades for Cassel I'll trust him. He knows more about this stuff than any of you guys. Yes, even Mecca. :)

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:41 PM
If they trade the #3 pick for Cassell I don't care who the GM is I am going to go nuts.

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah after seeing what he is now of course you would dumbass.

No, at the time. And please stop with the insults. I've been nothing but polite to you. Is this how you treat people in person?

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Alot of people are tired of dealing with this "i don't want a QB" rhetoric that is frequently spewed by this fan base.

I have never seen a fan base that hates QB's as much as this one does.

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
If they trade the #3 pick for Cassell I don't care who the GM is I am going to go nuts.

I don't think too many people here think he is worth the #3. Strawman.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't think too many people here think he is worth the #3. Strawman.

It seems alot of people just want to rebuild the 90s team that never won anything, that's brilliant.

splatbass
02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
It seems alot of people just want to rebuild the 90s team that never won anything, that's brilliant.

And some people have an almost religious like faith in unproven college QBs. Both are wrong. Including the great draft guru Mecca.

bevis369
02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
:deevee: