PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 8 reasons to JUST SAY NO to Todd Haley

B_Ambuehl
02-02-2009, 02:46 PM
1. He's a product of luck at the right time- AZ's offense put together a 4 game decent swing starting with the playoffs, but if you paid attention to them much the last 2 years they were extremely inconsistent. They got blown out the majority of road games due in large part to the inconsistency of their offense.

2. Lack of running game- Haley's playcalling much of the last 2 years has made Mike Martz look like a ball control coach. Running the football is as much about attitude as it is anything else and Haley hasn't proven he has it. Do we really want a finesse coach in KC? This is the midwest where beer, Bar-B-Q, defense, and toughness should be staples. A football coach like Haley belongs on the west coast where you play finesse football, turn the ball over, don't run the ball, and lose close games.

3. Ken Wisenhunt- People forget that Ken Wisenhunt was Pittsburghs offensive coordinator before becoming Arizonas head coach. How many offensive head coaches do you know who don't have substantial input ot the offensive gameplan? Arizonas offensive success in the playoffs could be even more about Ken Wisenhunt as they are Haley.

4. Russ Grim- Ditto Ken Wisenhunt

5. Dick Vermeil- People around KC got tired of Dicks high flying #1 offense from '01-'05 and wanted to get back to defensive football. Now you want to bring in an offensive coach with less credibility and experience? Why the change in heart? Even though DV was known as an offensive coach he was a very well rounded offensive coach who's team routinely finished near the top in rushing.

6. Al Saunders - Ditto DV

7. T.O. and Anquan Boldin- Prior to his recent success Haley was best known for getting run out of Dallas by T.O. Then he goes to Arizona and in the midst of a 4th quarter drive gets verbally berated on the sideline by Anquan Boldin. What kind of football coach do players verbally berate on the sideline? It's obvious players look at him as one of them and not an authority figure. Can you imagine someone like a Bill Belichik getting berated by one of his players like that? Wonder how long will it take T.G. to throw him under the bus?

8. 31 - That's where our defense ranked this past year. We gave up over 400 yards per game and actually surpassed the suckiness of the '03-'04 Chiefs. With a defense that bad with so many holes you want to bring in another offensive coach?

9. Norv Turner, Tom Cable, Josh McDaniels- This division already has 3 offensive head coaches and 3 pretty unique and effective offenses. Oakland beats you up in the running game, SD has a pretty good mix, and Denver plans to keep their perennial high powered rushing scheme and install Josh McDaniels high powered spread to run alongside it.

10. Opposing defenses in this division rank #29, #27, and #25. You could bring back Mike Solari and likely be able to put points on the board in this division. Getting people stopped is more difficult. We just watched a defensive football team win it's 2nd superbowl in 4 years with a scheme developed by a coordinator who had to put it together out of necessity playing in a division where he had to stop high powered passing offenses. Playing follow the leader in this division is a good way to turn into the typical NFC west team.

Bottom line - If Haley gets the job it's pretty obvious Pioli is trying to build a good ol boy network full of yes men just like his papa in law Parcells.

Deberg_1990
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Dude is a Parcells and Pioli disciple. Yea, im sure he knows nothing about defense.

RustShack
:doh!:

the Talking Can
Bottom line - If Haley gets the job it's pretty obvious Pioli is trying to build a good ol boy network full of yes men just like his papa in law Parcells.

people are losing their minds

ChiefsCountry
Well if you dont like him thats a good sign.

Fritz88
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM
3. Ken Wisenhunt- People forget that Ken Wisenhunt was Pittsburghs offensive coordinator before becoming Arizonas head coach. How many offensive head coaches do you know who don't have substantial input ot the offensive gameplan? Arizonas offensive success in the playoffs could be even more about Ken Wisenhunt as they are Haley.

This is the only strong point mentioned in here. The rest are very debatable.

Molitoth
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Although I agree with your points, and I'm not a big fan of Haley....

Bottom line - If Haley gets the job it's pretty obvious Pioli is trying to build a good ol boy network full of yes men just like his papa in law Parcells

I don't care if we have a good ol boy network full of yes men if we start winning and pushing towards contention.

missinDThomas
I just want to see us win. I don't care how we do it, just win, and win a lot. I want the Chiefs to win a trophy besides the damn governor cup.

Der Flöprer
This is the only strong point mentioned in here. The rest are very debatable.

I don't see anything debatable about the 32nd ranked running game in a league of 32 teams.

bishop_74
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
5. Dick Vermeil- People around KC got tired of Dicks high flying #1 offense from '01-'05 and wanted to get back to defensive football. Now you want to bring in an offensive coach with less credibility and experience? Why the change in heart? Even though DV was known as an offensive coach he was a very well rounded offensive coach who's team routinely finished near the top in rushing.

Who might this be? Not I. I loved our team during this period. I would love to see it again. Just need a decent DC.

Deberg_1990
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM

people are losing their minds

Amazing isnt it?

"we cant draft a 1st round QB!! Oh Noes!!"

"we cant take a chance on a young HC!! Oh Noes!!"

Deberg_1990
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't see anything debatable about the 32nd ranked running game in a league of 32 teams.

It might help if Arizona had a decent RB. Edge is 97 years old in running back years.

B_Ambuehl
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
You guys think he knows defense just because he has connections to Parcells? You really think wide receivers coaches and offensive coordinators sit in defensive meeetings and have input?

Coortinator and position coaches in the NFL deal with their groups and positions only. The last thing you want as a head coach is your freaking wide receivers coach ****ing with your defense.

blueballs
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
#9 -Yelling at B_Ambuehl's mother
for yelling at him for not buying a bj

MahiMike
02-02-2009, 02:58 PM
"5. Dick Vermeil- People around KC got tired of Dicks high flying #1 offense from '01-'05 and wanted to get back to defensive football. Now you want to bring in an offensive coach with less credibility and experience? Why the change in heart? Even though DV was known as an offensive coach he was a very well rounded offensive coach who's team routinely finished near the top in rushing.

6. Al Saunders - Ditto DV"

You crazy man! They were one stupid pick away from humiliating the Steelers. Nobody else came close. I'll never tire of a team that can score 30+ every week.

Otis99
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM

I never got sick of watching the offense between '01-'05. The games were almost always exciting and you always felt like we had a chance to win. I remember growing particularly fond of scoring a touchdown on virtually every opening drive. Yeah, the defense sucked, but no one can tell me that those games weren't at least exciting to watch.

Jawshco
02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
My #1 reason to hire Todd Haley:

It means that we don't hire Patt Hill. Hill is awful. The people of Fresno want him to leave our college program. The guy just isn't a winner. Don't get me wrong. He's exciting to watch, and he does a great job putting Fresno against some big teams where we've been competitive, but then the team plays like amatuers against the WAC oppenants. He's never won the WAC, even when our team was clearly the only contender in the division. He's a nice guy, but not college HC material, and certainly not NFL material at all.

Bring on Haley! He's a no nonsense guy that would bring back team work and accountability among our players.

http://kan.scout.com/2/835293.html

Crush
02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Tony Sparano (former OL coach) seemed able to help Ireland and Parcells assemble a good defense.

bowener
02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
1. He's a product of luck at the right time- AZ's offense put together a 4 game decent swing starting with the playoffs, but if you paid attention to them much the last 2 years they were extremely inconsistent. They got blown out the majority of road games due in large part to the inconsistency of their offense.

2. Lack of running game- Haley's playcalling much of the last 2 years has made Mike Martz look like a ball control coach. Running the football is as much about attitude as it is anything else and Haley hasn't proven he has it. Do we really want a finesse coach in KC? This is the midwest where beer, Bar-B-Q, defense, and toughness should be staples. A football coach like Haley belongs on the west coast where you play finesse football, turn the ball over, don't run the ball, and lose close games.

4. Russ Grim- Ditto Ken Wisenhunt

7. T.O. and Anquan Boldin- Prior to his recent success Haley was best known for getting run out of Dallas by T.O. Then he goes to Arizona and in the midst of a 4th quarter drive gets verbally berated on the sideline by Anquan Boldin. What kind of football coach do players verbally berate on the sideline? It's obvious players look at him as one of them and not an authority figure. Can you imagine someone like a Bill Belichik getting berated by one of his players like that? Wonder how long will it take T.G. to throw him under the bus?

8. 31 - That's where our defense ranked this past year. We gave up over 400 yards per game and actually surpassed the suckiness of the '03-'04 Chiefs. With a defense that bad with so many holes you want to bring in another offensive coach?

Good luck.

FAIL.

Top point/premise/argument/fact missed:

Carl Peterson does not work here anymore.

If this is a "good 'ole boy" network being reestablished in Arrowhead, good, at least this time it is full of WINNERS. Haley just lost in the Super Bowl. Yes he did not run a lot, but at the same time, they have an inconsistent running game. Is it his fault, or the RB/Ol's fault? I dont know, but what I do know is that as a one dimensional team, they won more games than we did, kicked some ass in the playoffs (where it matters) and made it to the Super Bowl. According to NFL experts, that should not be possible. Yes the running game improved in the playoffs, expected since all teams prepared for the barrage of 3 great WR's.

In the end, we have a GM that seems to be like a damn machine when it comes to making decisions, the complete opposite of the irradic and emotional Carl Peterson, who based decisions upon 'loyalty' and not rationale.

If Haley is the guy, I doubt he will touch the D, Pioli will 'help' him pick a DC, and Pioli and the DC will 'help' Haley decide on what the D should do, so that isnt a concern for me.

I honestly do not care if we get Haley, I just want a coach that has a fucking clue as to what a gameplan is supposed to look like, and one that can prepare and improve our players AFTER their draft.

Sully
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
He wasn't run out of falls by TO. He interviewed for the HC job and said he wouldn't take it unless he could get rid of TO. Interviewing for the biggest opportunity of his career, and he held integrity to his own principles that high. That's a huge reason I want him.

B_Ambuehl
02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Parcells put together a football team where the head football coach is head coach in title only. He has Paul Pasqualoni running that defense and Dan Henning running that offense. Do you think Tony Sparano was mainly responsible for choosing his own coordinators?? hahaha That's the way a good ol' boy network operates. You bring in guys who think they owe you favors who won't question anything.

I should add, the main reason I made this thread is because this forum is freaking laughable how everyone buys into things hook, line, and sinker and fails to acknowledge weaknesses in anyone brought in. When this team hired Herm multiple Jets fans came over here and told you fuckers exactly what would happen. It happened exactly as they said right down to the wire. Don't be surprised when the same thing happens here.

Der Flöprer
02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
It might help if Arizona had a decent RB. Edge is 97 years old in running back years.

Mike Shanahan could put warehouse workers in the backfield and watch them gain 1000 yards. But no one seems to want anything to do with that guy.

Brock
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
When this team hired Herm multiple Jets fans came over here and told you ****ers exactly what would happen. It happened exactly as they said right down to the wire. Don't be surprised when the same thing happens here.

I don't see any Cardinals fans showing up telling us Haley sucks. You're seriously fucking retarded.

Crush
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Parcells put together a football team where the head football coach is head coach in title only. He has Paul Pasqualoni running that defense and Dan Henning running that offense. Do you think Tony Sparano was mainly responsible for choosing his own coordinators?? hahaha That's the way a good ol' boy network operates. You bring in guys who think they owe you favors who won't question anything.

I should add, the main reason I made this thread is because this forum is freaking laughable how everyone buys into things hook, line, and sinker and fails to acknowledge weaknesses in anyone brought in. When this team hired Herm multiple Jets fans came over here and told you ****ers exactly what would happen. It happened exactly as they said right down to the wire. Don't be surprised when the same thing happens here.

:spock:

So... what is your fail-safe plan of rebuilding this franchise?

Mizzou_8541
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Didn't the 2009 Superbowl Champs rush for like 59 whole yards yesterday?

Crush
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Also, points are deducted if you choose Cowher.

Crush
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Also, TO and Boldin are headcases that deserve to be berated on the sideline.

Skip Towne
02-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Yeah, he's LJ's age only with a lot of miles.

unothadeal
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
9. We won't see The Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIV if he comes here!

dirk digler
02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't see any Cardinals fans showing up

The Cardinals have fans? Since when? :p

CupidStunt
02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
B_Ambuehl is a documented idiot. Ignore.

KCChiefsFan88
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Pittsburgh had under 60 yards rushing and still won the Super Bowl... but I guess they played "finesse" football yesterday.

Also if Todd Haley's success is merely a product of Warner/Fitzgerald/Boldin how come Arizona was garbage with that trio before Haley became offensive coordinator?

Mark M
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
You guys think he knows defense just because he has connections to Parcells? You really think wide receivers coaches and offensive coordinators sit in defensive meeetings and have input?

Coortinator and position coaches in the NFL deal with their groups and positions only. The last thing you want as a head coach is your freaking wide receivers coach ****ing with your defense.

And what does any of that have to do with anything?

Do you think DV sat in the defensive meetings? Did Marty sit in on the offensive meetings? What about Herm -- do you think he was calling offensive plays?

A head coach's primary job isn't to develop the systems used on both sides of the ball, nor is it to call plays during games. Yes, some coaches may be involved if that's their area of expertise, and a few do the play calling. But for the most part, an HC's job is establish the philosophy and direction of the team, and then to hire coordinators able to carry out that philosophy and direction.

IMHO, what side of the ball the person has experience on is irrelevant. Just ask the 2000 Ravens and their "offensive mastermind" coach at the time.

What is relevant is if he has the right attitude, philosophy, organizational skills, motivation, intelligence and dedication to do a damn difficult, complex and stressful job.

Now, whether or not Haley has any or all of those qualities is up for debate. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure about the guy, but I'm also not sure if there are any better options at this point. At least none that I would actually want.

MM
~~:shrug:

B_Ambuehl
02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Boldin is a headcase? The guy only gets his jaw completely knocked off to the point where he has to have it wired shut and comes back and plays a week later. He's no freaking T.O. The fact is something about Haley obviously rubs players the wrong way or he fails to gain the respect a coach deserves. THAT, IMO is the most important quality a head coach needs.

As for who I think should be brought in here I'd personally love to have Shanahan. I think he gives you a competitive advantage with his rushing attack and he'd automatically be good for 4 division games per year. Of the remaining available candidates I think if you're gonna go offense Chan Gailey is probably as good a candidate as anyone. He's already proven he can adjust on the fly and made a practice squad caliber QB look viable. I honestly think Pioli dicked around too long while all the good coaches were getting signed elsewhere so now he's kind of shit out of luck.

Tuckdaddy
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Haley is a fine choice for HC. Let's remember that Scott has the final word on coaches and players. He will have alot to say about the staff and I'm sure will pick a solid DC for the defense.

Fish
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
It cracks me up how many people miss DV... He didn't win shit, but boy were we dazzled by lots of points. Rarely enough points to actually win anything but people were content with the "Aww shucks we lost, but at least we scored 35 points" mentality.

If all you are seeking is football "excitement", go rent a football movie. The Program or The Replacements might give you more satisfaction than real football.

blueballs
Offensive cooridinators work from the booth for a reason
to see the field and not have to deal with offensive divas

eazyb81
<<<<<<

Still not sure if this is a serious thread or not.

Brock
02-02-2009, 04:01 PM
It cracks me up how many people miss DV... He didn't win shit, but boy were we dazzled by lots of points. Rarely enough points to actually win anything but people were content with the "Aww shucks we lost, but at least we scored 35 points" mentality.

If all you are seeking is football "excitement", go rent a football movie. The Program or The Replacements might give you more satisfaction than real football.

0-1 in teh playoffs!!!11 Isn't this exciting!!!111

Count Alex's Losses
02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I agree with pretty much everything in the OP.

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Boldin is a headcase? The guy only gets his jaw completely knocked off to the point where he has to have it wired shut and comes back and plays a week later. He's no freaking T.O. The fact is something about Haley obviously rubs players the wrong way or he fails to gain the respect a coach deserves. THAT, IMO is the most important quality a head coach needs.

Ignoring the fact that for some reason you think a nutcase must also be a pussy, did you forget TO coming back to play with his high ankle sprain in the Super Bowl?

Seriously, your argument has been extremely weak in this thread.

Crush
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM

As for who I think should be brought in here I'd personally love to have Shanahan. I think he gives you a competitive advantage with his rushing attack and he'd automatically be good for 4 division games per year. Of the remaining available candidates I think if you're gonna go offense Chan Gailey is probably as good a candidate as anyone. He's already proven he can adjust on the fly and made a practice squad caliber QB look viable. I honestly think Pioli dicked around too long while all the good coaches were getting signed elsewhere so now he's kind of shit out of luck.

WTF? Boldin is a headcase. Any guy that screams at the offensive coordinator and then leaves the NFC Championship celebration to go pout in the locker room is not a "competitor."

Also, it has been documented that Parcells and BB have had players berate at them. Off the top of my head, Parcells and Phil Simms have a history of discontent with one another. The entire Patriots roster wanted to kill BB after the 0-31 loss to the Bills in 2003.

What did you want Haley to do? Just sit there and take it? The players are being paid to play and take orders. If a player cannot do that then he needs to GTFO. Maintaining the chain of command and winning goes a long way of establishing respect. You cannot let the inmates run the asylum, just look at the Raiders for further evidence.

Also, you berate both Vermeil and Haley for pourous defenses, but you want Mike "one DC per year" Shanahan? Pioli dicked around? Maybe none of the "big name" coaches were compatible with the system and atmosphere that Pioli wanted to implement. I am glad that Jim "Gunther is a defensive genius" Schwartz and Steve "Dick Curl is my QB Coach" Spagnuolo were not hired.

Also, maybe Pioli actually knows what he is doing and you are just talking out of your ass.

Just a thought.

kc rush
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM

I think people are saying they miss DV's offense. DV didn't put the right defensive coaches in place (he wanted to work with his buddies) and that is a huge reason why he failed as the HC of the Chiefs.

Don't mistake enjoying offense with loving DV as the head coach of this team.

Hopefully Piolli will pick someone and work with them to build a complete team.

Reerun_KC
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Amazing how many people defended Herm, praise Marty, despise Gun or Liked DV...

Guess what? None of them won shit here...

I guess people here still want those real tough defensive teams that never did shit when the game was on the line or when the playoffs were in full swing and our head coach was in the corner crying like a little bitch (Marty)..

Carls gone, time to step up and embrace the new direction of this team...

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I'd like to see a single post where one of you were advocating hiring Haley BEFORE the playoffs started.

He's the flavor of the month, and he's getting press because of his connection.

If we know anything about Pioli, it's that he will hire the RIGHT person for the job, not just the person he's connected to.

He reminds me of Mike Martz, who was a phenomenal coordinator, but couldn't handle what it took to be a HC. Coordinating an offense with a HOF QB and two of the best WR's in the game is a bit different than the responsibility of getting a TEAM ready to play every week. If he DOES end up being the 11th Head Coach of the Chiefs, I'll back him 100%, and hope like hell I have to eat crow.

MikeMaslowski
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I guess... I'm thinking this so I might as well say it.

Scott Pioli is smarter than you,

and you,

and you,

and you,

and me,

and you,

sooooo.....

Whoever he pics, I will go ahead and throw my support behind...

Why? Because he knows wayyyy more about football operations than anyone here.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM

and you,

and you,

and you,

and me,

and you,

sooooo.....

not to listen to SOME talk itLMAO hell some have even said they will throw a fit if the draft doesnt go like THEY want it

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow, just wow.

KCrockaholic
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Mike Shanahan could put warehouse workers in the backfield and watch them gain 1000 yards. But no one seems to want anything to do with that guy.

only problem is 1,000 yards is a number every back can get too these days. How about 1,500 then we will talk about it.

Chief Henry
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM

and you,

and you,

and you,

and me,

and you,

sooooo.....

this

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I'd like to see a single post where one of you were advocating hiring Haley BEFORE the playoffs started.

If we know anything about Pioli, it's that he will hire the RIGHT person for the job, not just the person he's connected to.

He reminds me of Mike Martz, who was a phenomenal coordinator, but couldn't handle what it took to be a HC. Coordinating an offense with a HOF QB and two of the best WR's in the game is a bit different than the responsibility of getting a TEAM ready to play every week. If he DOES end up being the 11th Head Coach of the Chiefs, I'll back him 100%, and hope like hell I have to eat crow.

Why Martz?

Why doesn't he remind you of a young Shanahan, or Andy Reid, or Ken Whisenhunt, or Mike Holmgren?

People are pulling this Martz comparison out of their ass.

Also, the offense was hardly this dominant when Haley came to Arizona. I think they were middle of the pack in 06, then went up to 4th or 5th in scoring last year, and then were at 4th again this year (not positive on those rankings but I'm close).

Finally, Warner was hardly an MVP-caliber player when Haley came to the team. The guy looked like he was DONE.

Coming into 2007, he had a TD:INT ratio of 27:30 in his previous 5 seasons. Haley literally resurrected his career.

DaWolf
02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Some people are built to be head coaches.

Some people aren't.

Scott Pioli is taking his sweet time because he wants to get this right. So either he will hire him because he has some innate knowledge in the guy's abilities that we have no idea about, he'll hire him because he's an idiot, or he won't hire him which will indicate that a better candidate was available to Pioli...

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Why Martz?

Why doesn't he remind you of a young Shanahan, or Andy Reid, or Ken Whisenhunt, or Mike Holmgren?

People are pulling this Martz comparison out of their ass.

Also, the offense was hardly this dominant when Haley came to Arizona. I think they were middle of the pack in 06, then went up to 4th or 5th in scoring last year, and then were at 4th again this year (not positive on those rankings but I'm close).

Finally, Warner was hardly an MVP-caliber player when Haley came to the team. The guy looked like he was DONE.

Coming into 2007, he had a TD:INT ratio of 27:30 in his previous 5 seasons. Haley literally resurrected his career.

First, Haley didn't even call plays last year, Whisenhunt did.

That would explain why James had 48 more carries last year than he and Hightower had COMBINED this year.

The only reason he's able to abandon the run and be successful is the HOF QB and the 2 best WR's in the NFL. He sure as hell can't run an offense like that in KC.

Second, how did Warner look like he was done?

The guy hasn't had a completion percentage under 62 since he was with STL. The biggest issue pre-coaching change was playing time.

Like I said, who here was pimping him before the playoffs?

NO ONE.

Because the OC on a 9-7 team with that much offensive talent isn't usually someone people look at.

Otis99
02-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Are you saying I should miss Herm Edwards since he lost games but his teams didn't score for crap? I have no shame in pining for the Vermeil days because even if he had some piss poor defenses, you always thought that you were in the game, that you had a chance to win.

Can you say the same about the Herm years? I always thought we were lucky to win the games we did under Herm, with very few exceptions.

The Bad Guy
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
You continue to prove how much of a fucking idiot you are every post you make.

MTG#10
02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Seriously, you make some good points and Im not excited about Haley, but at the same time I trust Pioli and if he thinks he's the man Im down with it.

ChiefsCountry
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM

NO ONE.

Because the OC on a 9-7 team with that much offensive talent isn't usually someone people look at.

To be fair he was on those future head coaching lists that got passed around on here. We all were in love with Schwartz and Spags to read farther down the list.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
To be fair he was on those future head coaching lists that got passed around on here. We all were in love with Schwartz and Spags to read farther down the list.

He was on the list, but never was mentioned.

That speaks VOLUMES, IMO.

Like I said earlier, he's just the flavor of the month. You can't say we were blinded by Spagnuolo and Schwartz when guys were mentioning Todd Bowles, Leslie Frazier, Josh McDaniels, etc.

But if Pioli hires him, I'll support him, and hope like hell I get served a piping hot plate of crow in the next 5 years.

Boris The Great
02-02-2009, 05:41 PM

NO ONE.

Because the OC on a 9-7 team with that much offensive talent isnt usually someone people look at.

The DC of a team that went 6-10, who only spent one year as a coordinator, isnt someone people usually look at either.

But the Steelers did and they just won the SB with him.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
so far as i can tell the only thing impressive about Haley is his father-in-law and who he got to rub elbows with because of his father-in-law.

he has a offensive minded head coach above him
he has tons of talent to work with in arizona and dallas

i still haven't heard anything ABOUT HIM that makes him worthy of promotion.

:shrug:

eazyb81
02-02-2009, 05:58 PM
First, Haley didn't even call plays last year, Whisenhunt did.

That would explain why James had 48 more carries last year than he and Hightower had COMBINED this year.

Really irritated right now because I lost my internet connection the first time I typed this up and lost everything..... :mad:

Yes, Whis did call the plays early on last year, but conceded the duty to Haley towards the end of the year. Not sure what that has to do with anything, since obviously Haley was involved in the process and led the offensive scheming the whole time he's been there.

On the second part....what's your point? Did the offensive production drop? Considering Pioli comes from a Pats system that is passy-happy and routinely utilizes shotgun formations, I don't see why this should be a huge concern unless you're just a bastion for conservative offensive play.

The only reason he's able to abandon the run and be successful is the HOF QB and the 2 best WR's in the NFL. He sure as hell can't run an offense like that in KC.

Second, how did Warner look like he was done?

The guy hasn't had a completion percentage under 62 since he was with STL. The biggest issue pre-coaching change was playing time.

Like I said, Warner was awful before 2007. Many, MANY people thought he was done. Do you not remember how awful he was in NYC and the end of his tenure in STL? Arizona thought so much of him that they drafted Leinart.

A TD:INT ratio of 27:30 in the 5 years before Haley got there says it all. Most reasonable people would look at those stats from a mid/late 30's QB and say he looked like he was done.

No one's asking or expecting him to turn us into a top 5 offense overnight. All I want is a head coach that Pioli trusts and feels he can work well with.

NO ONE.

No one was pimping him because not many people knew about him. That doesn't make anyone right or wrong. Most on here were still jerking off to dreams of Cowher. Since no one on here was talking about Sanchez a year ago, does that make him a poor draft choice now?

None of us are involved in the process to know Haley enough to gauge his potential as a head coach. However, we all wanted Pioli, as he was universally considered the best GM candidate.

Haley comes from a tremendous football family, is a Parcells disciple, has worked for years with Pioli, and has excelled in every NFL coaching position thus far in his career.

I don't see any reason to bash him as a candidate unless you're just trying to be a contrarian or hedge your bet.

CoMoChief
02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
#5/6 DV/AS ?!?!?!?!

People didn't get tired of the offense. I dont even think people wanted to get defesive football back.........we just needed an ok defense to help the offense.

We seriously have NO defense, nothing, nada.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
so far as i can tell the only thing impressive about Haley is his father-in-law and who he got to rub elbows with because of his father-in-law.

That's how I feel, Laz.

Something tells me if he wasn't a Parcells disciple, no one would be pining for him.

Sully
02-02-2009, 06:00 PM

You keep bringing up that no one knew about him before the playoffs, but why does that matter? You don't think people have the ability to search out old info and articles about him? Sure there are some bandwagon jumpers, but I, for one, did a little research before jumping on. And I assume others have, as well.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Do we really want a finesse coach in KC? This is the midwest where beer, Bar-B-Q, defense, and toughness should be staples.

That is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read, that sounds like a true fan if I ever heard one.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
You keep bringing up that no one knew about him before the playoffs, but why does that matter? You don't think people have the ability to search out old info and articles about him? Sure there are some bandwagon jumpers, but I, for one, did a little research before jumping on. And I assume others have, as well.

Why does it matter?

No one wanted him until all their other favorite candidates had been hired elsewhere.

Anyone can say, well, he's the best of what's left.

If ANYONE thought he was capable of being a HC, his name would have came up before 2 weeks ago.

It's one thing to say, "You know, if we don't get Spagnuolo/Schwartz/etc, Todd Haley would be a nice backup plan."

Instead, people are enamored with him because he's perceived to be the best candidate left, (because there's only retreads left) and the only one that fits the description of young, 1st time HC.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Do we really want a finesse coach in KC? This is the midwest where beer, Bar-B-Q, defense, and toughness should be staples.

That is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read, that sounds like a true fan if I ever heard one.

would you be ok with cowher?

Mecca
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I really don't care what he did as OC, or how he called plays. Calling plays has nothing to do with being a HC, it's why numerous outstanding coordinators have failed as head coaches and guys like Tony Sparano succeed.

Being a HC has nothing to do with calling plays or being a coordinator completely different animal.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
would you be ok with cowher?

If it takes him another 15 years to figure out you need a legit QB to win in the league no.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 06:11 PM

If it takes him another 15 years to figure out you need a legit QB to win in the league no.

where is the qb in your first equation? and the legit qb thing=lesson learned IMO

Mecca
02-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Because it's a dumb comment beer bbq defense and toughness sounds like something Tim Grunhard would spout in his nonsensical rants.

TEX
02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I NEVER got tired of "DV's high flying # 1" offense - there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. People sometimes forget that as "high flying" as it was - it controlled the clock. Just because the _efense SUCKED should not taint the offense in any manner.

MikeMaslowski
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I NEVER got tired of "DV's high flying" offense. It was the _efense that I could have done without.

no D! god, i love alcohol too much,,,,,, rep from me...

nevermind i guess....

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I really don't care what he did as OC, or how he called plays. Calling plays has nothing to do with being a HC, it's why numerous outstanding coordinators have failed as head coaches and guys like Tony Sparano succeed.

Being a HC has nothing to do with calling plays or being a coordinator completely different animal.

THIS.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 06:30 PM
one thing about that otw and mecca, how can we tell if a coordinator will transition? what says any will make it or not?

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
one thing about that otw and mecca, how can we tell if a coordinator will transition? what says any will make it or not?

That's the thing.

We can't.

People assume that because Haley coordinated a great offense for one year, he'll make a great HC.

There's a long list of really good coordinators that were shitty HC's.

As fans, there's no way to tell. That's why I've said I trust Pioli - and if he hires Haley, I hope I get served a big plate of crow.

I'll back whoever he hires.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
That's the thing.

We can't.

People assume that because Haley coordinated a great offense for one year, he'll make a great HC.

There's a long list of really good coordinators that were shitty HC's.

As fans, there's no way to tell. That's why I've said I trust Pioli - and if he hires Haley, I hope I get served a big plate of crow.

I'll back whoever he hires.

i'm not for or really against anyone, actually i can see both sides to cowher, shannahan, bowles, grimm, haley, or just about anyone out there just wondering what made people be for or against

whoman69
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
While I'm not going to accept everything that Pioli does because he's Pioli (we berated CP on here everyday and he had 20 years experience), I think the guy has earned a wait and see attitude. If he does something I disagree with I'm going to feel free to disagree. He's being pretty thoughtful in his decision making so far, and I believe come up with the right answers. We haven't heard a word on who he has interviewed, or scheduled to interview. That is probably the reason most fans here have been apprehensive. No news isn't necessarily bad news.

The Bad Guy
02-02-2009, 06:44 PM

John Harbaugh was around one of the finest defensive minds in the NFL, yet his work as the special teams coach/d backs coach earned him a promotion.

Sometimes you just feel good about a candiate and you hire them - despite now having the fullest resume.

Thig Lyfe
02-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Yeah, following the Parcells model sucks! He's only won two Super Bowls and been to a third! Blaaaah!

Mecca
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
One thing I did notice last night, was after Fitzgerald made that huge play they showed him looking up at the board.

When it cut to the sideline you could see Haley telling him to focus and not do things like that.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
One thing I did notice last night, was after Fitzgerald made that huge play they showed him looking up at the board.

When it cut to the sideline you could see Haley telling him to focus and not do things like that.

i'm not sure that's what haley was saying, i thought he was telling him to not celebrate and be ready there's alot of time left

Mecca
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm sure it had something to do with being smart because he pointed to the board and pointed to Fitzgeralds head.

Fish
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Are you saying I should miss Herm Edwards since he lost games but his teams didn't score for crap? I have no shame in pining for the Vermeil days because even if he had some piss poor defenses, you always thought that you were in the game, that you had a chance to win.

Can you say the same about the Herm years? I always thought we were lucky to win the games we did under Herm, with very few exceptions.

What the hell does Herm have to do with this? He didn't win anything either. They both managed one terrible playoff loss. But that's beside the point.

DV had piss poor defenses because he was terrible on that side of the ball. And he didn't care that he was terrible with the D. As he proved, you can have the best offense in history, but if you can't do anything other than that, you're never going to win shit. It's swell that you thought that the Chiefs were in the game, and that they had a chance to win. But "feel good" losses are still losses. And in Vermeil's case they come with the added bonus of ignoring the draft and letting the team get old.

JASONSAUTO
02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm sure it had something to do with being smart because he pointed to the board and pointed to Fitzgeralds head.

that could also mean look at the clock keep your head in the game it's not over yet

milkman
02-02-2009, 07:05 PM

I should add, the main reason I made this thread is because this forum is freaking laughable how everyone buys into things hook, line, and sinker and fails to acknowledge weaknesses in anyone brought in. When this team hired Herm multiple Jets fans came over here and told you ****ers exactly what would happen. It happened exactly as they said right down to the wire. Don't be surprised when the same thing happens here.

The difference here, other than the one already pointed by Brock in the next couple of posts, is the Jets fans that warned us about Herman fucking Edwards potentially knew what the hell they were talking about.

I have yet to see you make a legitimate point in the years you've posted here.

milkman
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM

I have not backed the idea of bringing Haley in, before or since the playoffs.

Frankly I don't know enough about him to have a strong opinion either way, and in this situation I will rely on the judgement of Pioli.

However, the argument presented against him by B.Amdumbass is a stupid one.

milkman
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
#5/6 DV/AS ?!?!?!?!

People didn't get tired of the offense. I dont even think people wanted to get defesive football back.........we just needed an ok defense to help the offense.

We seriously have NO defense, nothing, nada.
I want the defense back.

I've said it before.
As much as I hated Marty, I hated Dick more.

I'd rather be middle of the pack O and a top D.

According to the the radio show I listen to in teh morning, teams with the #1 defense going into the SB are now 13-4 all time.

Teams with the #1 offense are 7-13.

Defense wins championships.

milkman
02-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Let me preface this by saying I am definitely not a Cowher fan.

However, people have been saying that when he does get back into coaching, he wants to go into a situation where there is a legitimate QB, or the potential to draft one early in the draft.

So I'm guessing he learned.

Dave Lane
02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Who might this be? Not I. I loved our team during this period. I would love to see it again. Just need a decent DC.

This

KCChiefsFan88
02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Defense wins championships.

And yet Pittsburgh, a team supposedly defined by their defense won their sixth Super Bowl yesterday behind the arm of Ben Roethlisberger and the clutch hands of Santonio Holmes.

I'd say Pittsburgh's OFFENSE clinched the deal last night.

DaWolf
02-02-2009, 07:53 PM

The ironic thing about Marty was he had at one point both Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers on his team and he STILL couldn't win it all...

mikey23545
02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Amazing how many people defended Herm, praise Marty, despise Gun or Liked DV...

Guess what? None of them won shit here...

I guess people here still want those real tough defensive teams that never did shit when the game was on the line or when the playoffs were in full swing and our head coach was in the corner crying like a little bitch (Marty)..

Carls gone, time to step up and embrace the new direction of this team...

God, I would love to see you make your comments face to face with Marty so I could watch him clean out all the urinals in Arrowhead with your face....

milkman
02-02-2009, 07:57 PM
And yet Pittsburgh, a team supposedly defined by their defense won their sixth Super Bowl yesterday behind the arm of Ben Roethlisberger and the clutch hands of Santonio Holmes.

I won't argue that.

I've said many times this is a QB driven league now more than ever, so I want a QB that's capable of making plays.

But that doesn't mean I don't want my defense also.

What I don't want is more of the crap that Dick gave us.

That sucked ass.

bevis369
02-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Put the pipe down...PBJRaiderfan:hump:rochambeau

ChiefsCountry
02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I won't argue that.

I've said many times this is a QB driven league now more than ever, so I want a QB that's capable of making plays.

But that doesn't mean I don't want my defense also.

What I don't want is more of the crap that Dick gave us.

That sucked ass.

You know what team I want - the 90's Cowboy teams. They could play a defensive battle, pound the rock if needed, and could air it out when they wanted to. And they had the franchise QB to lead them to victory when needed.

chiefzilla1501
02-02-2009, 09:10 PM

The offense clinched the deal only because the defense kept them in the game for the entire game. The Steelers were rock solid the first two drives and the last drive. They were very stagnant in between.

Defense won the Steelers the Super Bowl, even if offense won it in the end. That's not to say that the Steelers' offense didn't play well, but 9 times out of 10, 20 offensive points is not going to win you many games against the Cardinals.

I still believe that defense wins championships, but balance is even better. And I actually think young guys like Haley tend to be better at getting balance than seasoned vets like Spagnuolo.

whoman69
02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Just about every coach that has had success in this league at one time was a young coordinator from Tom Landy to Vince Lombardi on the Giants staff. Chuck Noll was the DC on the Colts team that lost in Super Bowl III. Bill Parcelles was DC under Ray Perkins with the Giants. Bill Cowher of course was DC under Marty who was DC for Sam Rutigliano. Bill Walsh was OC in Cincy under Paul Brown as well as in SD under Tommy Prothro. Walsh was one of the few on this list that actually had head coaching experience. Mike Shanhan got his start in Oakland on his strength as the Broncos OC under Dan Reeves and got his shot in Denver after being OC under George Seifert who was, you guessed it, DC for Bill Walsh. Shanahan's predecessor as OC of the 49ers was Mike Holmgren. Tony Dungy was DC for the Steelers and Vikings when he got the call in Tampa.

Is there a pattern here? I think the pattern is pretty clear that to be a success as a HC in this league, the stepping stone is as a coordinator. Very rarely are they merely a position coach or a college coach like Jimmy Johnson and Dick Vermeil.

OnTheWarpath58
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
You know what team I want - the 90's Cowboy teams. They could play a defensive battle, pound the rock if needed, and could air it out when they wanted to. And they had the franchise QB to lead them to victory when needed.

That's EXACTLY what I want.

Minus the masturbation in meetings, drug habits and stabbing teammates.

Take that back, if someone stabs Huard, he becomes my new favorite player.

B_Ambuehl
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
update: 2 new additions I added to the list:

9. Norv Turner, Tom Cable, Josh McDaniels- This division already has 3 offensive head coaches and 3 pretty unique and effective offenses. Oakland beats you up in the running game, SD has a pretty good mix, and Denver plans to keep their perennial high powered rushing scheme and install Josh McDaniels high powered spread to run alongside it.

10. Opposing defenses in this division rank #29, #27, and #25. You could bring back Mike Solari and likely be able to put points on the board in this division. Getting people stopped is more difficult. We just watched a defensive football team win it's 2nd superbowl in 4 years with a scheme developed by a coordinator who had to put it together out of necessity playing in a division where he had to stop high powered passing offenses. Playing follow the leader in this division is a good way to turn into the typical NFC west team.

Sure-Oz
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
That's EXACTLY what I want.

Minus the masturbation in meetings, drug habits and stabbing teammates.

Take that back, if someone stabs Huard, he becomes my new favorite player.

Masterbating during meetings, wtf

HemiEd
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't see any Cardinals fans showing up telling us Haley sucks.
Maybe neither one of them have the internet yet.

Crush
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Yeah, that made me go :spock:.

Off to Google...

beach tribe
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
"5. Dick Vermeil- People around KC got tired of Dicks high flying #1 offense from '01-'05 and wanted to get back to defensive football. Now you want to bring in an offensive coach with less credibility and experience? Why the change in heart? Even though DV was known as an offensive coach he was a very well rounded offensive coach who's team routinely finished near the top in rushing.

6. Al Saunders - Ditto DV"

You crazy man! They were one stupid pick away from humiliating the Steelers. Nobody else came close. I'll never tire of a team that can score 30+ every week.

The only thing we got tired of was the _fense.

Crush
02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Apparently, the book "Boys Will Be Boys" tells of horrifying scenario where Charles Haley masturbated to Michael Irvin's choreographed orgies during team meetings.

Now I am even more confused.

beach tribe
02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
The offense clinched the deal only because the defense kept them in the game for the entire game. The Steelers were rock solid the first two drives and the last drive. They were very stagnant in between.

Defense won the Steelers the Super Bowl, even if offense won it in the end. That's not to say that the Steelers' offense didn't play well, but 9 times out of 10, 20 offensive points is not going to win you many games against the Cardinals.

I still believe that defense wins championships, but balance is even better. And I actually think young guys like Haley tend to be better at getting balance than seasoned vets like Spagnuolo.

Yeah, I would much rather be top 10 in offense, and defense, than #1 in either.

oaklandhater
02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
God, I would love to see you make your comments face to face with Marty so I could watch him clean out all the urinals in Arrowhead with your face....

Who gives a shit if marty can kick reerun ass he would still be a shit coach with no idea on how to win a superbowl let alone a playoff game.

kysirsoze
02-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Lots of guys look at the board on break aways. It's actually smart because they can see who's pursuing them and how close they are. I think Haley was pointing to the clock.

Sure-Oz
02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Apparently, the book "Boys Will Be Boys" tells of horrifying scenario where Charles Haley masturbated to Michael Irvin's choreographed orgies during team meetings.

i am really confused now too

kysirsoze
02-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Yes. And I won't be reading that book.

OnTheWarpath58
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Yeah, that made me go :spock:.

Off to Google...

Yeah, that book tells of some flat-out crazy shit that happened with the Cowboys.

Charles Haley would just whip out his dick and start jerking in defensive meetings.

Michael Irvin stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of barber scissors because he wouldn't get out of the chair to let Irvin get his hair cut.

The drug use was beyond rampant.

It's actually a phenomenal book. How these guys were as good as they were, with all this shit going on, is amazing.

Sure-Oz
02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
The Charles Haley thing is pretty damn scary, i wonder what troy aikman thought haha

kcfanXIII
02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
i think someone who has been an OC or DC on championship teams is more likely to step up and be a successful HC. haley hasn't really done that. i'd rather see grimm or even lebeau. (sp?) haley's resume doesn't jump out and say "hire me!" just my opinion though...

Fish
02-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Charles Haley was a very very bizarre man. He nicknamed himself “The Last Naked Warrior".... He also asked Joe Montana to suck his cock, while naked with said cock in hand of course...

Here's an interesting interview from a Dallas reporter about Haley: http://deadspin.com/389840/and-toward-me-he-charged-charles-haleys-bananas

EyePod
02-03-2009, 03:00 PM

Ken Wisenhunt explicitely stated before this past season that he would back off of the offensive side of the ball. He said that he spread himself too thin last year, and didn't get to accomplish what he wanted. This season, he let Haley call almost everything, but I'm sure there's the few where a coach really wants to run the one play and he does. So I don't think this is a good point at all. Do your research before you bitch. I don't want Haley either though.

Mecca
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
The Charles Haley thing is pretty damn scary, i wonder what troy aikman thought haha

I think it's pretty obvious they all had respect for Aikman and in many ways he kept that team together.