PDA

View Full Version : Science Does the fact that a circle can not be quadrable depress or annoy you in any way?

Jenson71
02-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Because I'm thinking of starting a social group about it.

Yes, there is a point to this thread. This is a topic on math. What are some of your favorite math theorems? How useful do you find math in your everyday life? Do you think learning the various mathematical areas (geometry, calculus, algebra) were useful to you in a practical way or in any kind of abstract way? Do you value your math knowledge?

J Diddy
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
addition and subtraction is all I need. Maybe even multiplication.

My check adds money to my bank account, bills subtract it. Investments multiply it.

Crush
02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
In my personal opinion, mathematics is one of the keys to understanding the mysteries of life. With mathematics, you can predict the future and prove the basic facts of life. Mathematics is the main ingredient of a healthy mind. That is why I studied the fuck out of math in school and continue to study in it today. I am not a math genius by any means, but I am an advocate of the old saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it."

To any teenagers out there: take as many math courses as you possibly can. You will not regret this decision.

To any parents out there: encourage your children to take as many math courses as they possibly can.

beavis
02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
My check adds money to my bank account, bills subtract it. Investments multiply it.

That's not the way it works for me lately.

J Diddy
02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
In my personal opinion, mathematics is one of the keys to understanding the mysteries of life. With mathematics, you can predict the future and prove the basic facts of life. Mathematics is the main ingredient of a healthy mind. That is why I studied the **** out of math in school and continue to study in it today. I am not a math genius by any means, but I am an advocate of the old saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it."

To any teenagers out there: take as many math courses as you possibly can. You will not regret this decision.

To any parents out there: encourage your children to take as many math courses as they possibly can.

refer to my previous post

I could give a fuck about sin and tangent.

Mecca
02-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Math hurts my brain.

JuicesFlowing
02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
2 + 2 = 5 (Orwellian Math ...)

Barret
02-03-2009, 02:10 AM
a (Squared) + b (Squared) = c (Squared)

Barret
02-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Actually here is a better answer for a math question.

http://mathpwned.ytmnd.com/

BigRock
02-03-2009, 02:31 AM
123 Kid = Syxx

Ultra Peanut
02-03-2009, 02:47 AM
In my personal opinion, mathematics is one of the keys to understanding the mysteries of life. With mathematics, you can predict the future and prove the basic facts of life. I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, fuck math.

KCChiefsMan
02-03-2009, 03:06 AM
I use math every day. I play poker a lot and I have to calculate odds. So division/ratio's are pretty key. When I was waiting tables for a living I could also calculate the percentage of the tip to the tenth every time

Chiefs=Good
02-03-2009, 03:33 AM
NEEEEEEEEERRRRDDDDDDD!!!

Raiderhader
02-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I f#cking hate math. Numbers and I do not get along at all.

cdcox
02-03-2009, 05:59 AM
A society cannot achieve much technologically without math, so everyone should appreciate what is makes possible. Saying you don't like math is akin to saying you don't like agriculture. You may not like to farm, but you need to eat to survive.

I make a decent living based largely on my ability to apply math to practical situation.

I get great satisfaction and enjoyment out of having a computer do very numerically intensive calculations that represent some aspect of reality.

Baconeater
02-03-2009, 06:03 AM
One of my math teachers once told me pi r squared. What an idiot, we all know they're round.

cdcox
02-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Over the past several years I've been collaborating with some biologists and other engineerings to mathematically model various biological processes. One day our conversation went something like this:

Biologist: How come every time we get together you engineers start by writing a differential equation on the board?

Engineer1: Because differential equations describe how the world works.

Engineer2: It's a differential equation world, and you're live in it.

Biologist: I feel like shooting myself in the head.

cdcox
02-03-2009, 06:06 AM
One of my math teachers once told me pi r squared. What an idiot, we all know they're round.

Yup. That's why I always say pi-dee-squared-over-four.

I love this thread.

StcChief
02-03-2009, 06:54 AM
Basic math, alegbra, boolean algebra,set theory. What makes databases tick.

Fire Me Boy!
02-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Can someone get to the root of this issue? Please do so, without going off on a tangent, just put it all out on the table.

KC Jones
02-03-2009, 07:13 AM
When I first learned that not all infinities are equal, I thought that was pretty damn cool. Set Theory is good stuff and very relevant to programming. I got scared away from math in school when I struggled with differential equations and some advanced calculus. I should get back into it again - I think I have a preference for theoretical math rather than applied.

Basileus777
02-03-2009, 07:22 AM
As we speak I'm trying to memorize Arrow's impossibility theorem for an exam.

God, I hate math.

beach tribe
02-03-2009, 07:39 AM
I think Math is a wonderful thing, but I hate it with a passion.

I'm really good at doing basic math in my head, and I have a calculator for everything else. I'm an autodesk engineer. So I guess math, and I have to get along.

MOhillbilly
02-03-2009, 07:40 AM

Dude i dog my stepdaughter about her math classes. she told me they dont get issued a math book and have to check one out from the library.

so i said bullshit and looked into it, sure enough she was tellin the truth.

she came home with a C in math. pffff i hit the roof, told her she better have an strong B by the time grades come back around.

my oldman being a physics teacher i learned at an early age the power of math skills.

Fire Me Boy!
02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Dude i dog my stepdaughter about her math classes. she told me they dont get issued a math book and have to check one out from the library.

so i said bullshit and looked into it, sure enough she was tellin the truth.

she came home with a C in math. pffff i hit the roof, told her she better have an strong B by the time grades come back around.

my oldman being a physics teacher i learned at an early age the power of math skills.

Completely missed those lessons on capitalization though, huh?

;)

MagicHef
02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Does the fact that a circle can not be quadrable depress or annoy you in any way?

No, not really.

I get great satisfaction and enjoyment out of having a computer do very numerically intensive calculations that represent some aspect of reality.

Me too, I'm a huge nerd. Unfortunately, my job requires a surprisingly small amount of math. It's actually pretty frustrating.

BigRedChief
02-03-2009, 08:06 AM
College Algera almost killed me. I have no desire to go beyond that level.

but in my field(I.T.)and at my level they tell everyone to get a high level of math skills before entering the field. I never saw the strict corelation.

Sure we have to know A + B = C and then someone says "G" is broke and all you did was A+B=C. So you have to figure out how "G" was effected but is not part of the equation. But I don't know how taking high level math skill courses in college would have helped me do this on a daily basis. In my experience you either have this skill or not. Sure you can get better but its still an inert skill, not something learned in a class.

Fish
02-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Math is the universal language. It spans the entirety of the universe. It binds everything.

Most people never realize how much they use it in their everyday lives. Language, art, music, all based on mathematics.

The man ignorant of mathematics will be increasingly limited in his grasp of the main forces of civilization. ~John Kemeny

We could use up two Eternities in learning all that is to be learned about our own world and the thousands of nations that have arisen and flourished and vanished from it. Mathematics alone would occupy me eight million years. ~Mark Twain

Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting. ~Gottfried Leibniz

The laws of nature are but the mathematical thoughts of God. ~Euclid

cdcox
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Me too, I'm a huge nerd. Unfortunately, my job requires a surprisingly small amount of math. It's actually pretty frustrating.

One of our undergraduate students tells the story of her plans to go into architecture. During summer orientation, she found out that she didn't need to take any more math. She started crying. Eventually she transfered into engineering.

Buck
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Three guests check into a hotel. The clerk says the bill is $30 so each pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify he gives the bellhop five dollars to return to the guests. On the way back to the room the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money evenly. As they didn’t know the total of the revised bill, he decides to give each guest a dollar and keep two for himself.

Now that the guests have been given a dollar back, each has paid $9. Notice that 3 x $9 = $27, and the bellhop has $2. But, 2 + 27 = 29. If the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining dollar?

Pestilence
02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Three guests check into a hotel. The clerk says the bill is $30 so each pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify he gives the bellhop five dollars to return to the guests. On the way back to the room the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money evenly. As they didnít know the total of the revised bill, he decides to give each guest a dollar and keep two for himself.

Now that the guests have been given a dollar back, each has paid $9. Notice that 3 x $9 = $27, and the bellhop has $2. But, 2 + 27 = 29. If the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining dollar?

Taxes are a bitch.

Frosty
02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Three guests check into a hotel. The clerk says the bill is $30 so each pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify he gives the bellhop five dollars to return to the guests. On the way back to the room the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money evenly. As they didnít know the total of the revised bill, he decides to give each guest a dollar and keep two for himself.

Ha ha. Tricky

They didn't pay $30 in the end, only $27.

(3 x 9) - 2 = 25 (amount of final bill)

MagicHef
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
One of our undergraduate students tells the story of her plans to go into architecture. During summer orientation, she found out that she didn't need to take any more math. She started crying. Eventually she transfered into engineering.

I am an engineer.

penguinz
02-03-2009, 11:05 AM
That's not the way it works for me lately.You did not pay attention in math class did you?

Jenson71
02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
There are a few colleges, and maybe high schools - but I doubt it, that teach math by reading books. So, if you were like me, you were assigned 30 problems from a textbook due by the beginning of class the next day. But instead of that stuff, at these Great Book schools, their math assignment is to read a chapter of Euclid's Elements, for example. I think I would have greatly preferred this latter version of learning math. Anyone have opinions about this? Is it helpful, productive, useless, etc? Anyone go to a Great Book school?

FAX
02-03-2009, 11:12 AM
The concept of Pi kind of pisses me off. Does that count?

FAX

Buck
02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
If you are a math nut like me go to wikipedia and search "List of Paradoxes"

Prepare to waste the next 2 hours of your precious time there.

P.S. thats where I got that earlier paradox.

BigRedChief
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
You did not pay attention in math class did you?
It's not his fault. They taught it at 8:00 am in the morning.
/Lewis Blackman

Pablo
02-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I just got out of my Business and Economic Forecasting class.

Math is teh suxorz and teh know phun.

KCCHIEFS27
02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
The transformation of two stellated rhombic dodecahedrons(why does this word have a red squiggly line underneath it?)..this is really crazy for those that haven't seen it yet..

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQtbcgBWobA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQtbcgBWobA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Buck
02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
The transformation of two stellated rhombic dodecahedrons(why does this word have a red squiggly line underneath it?)..this is really crazy for those that haven't seen it yet..

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQtbcgBWobA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQtbcgBWobA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Thats cool, it makes sense though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Buck
02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Firestone???

Pablo
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.Nice.

Somebody stole that movie from me.

Inspector
02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I feel very divided on this subject.

EyePod
02-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Yes, there is a point to this thread. This is a topic on math. What are some of your favorite math theorems? How useful do you find math in your everyday life? Do you think learning the various mathematical areas (geometry, calculus, algebra) were useful to you in a practical way or in any kind of abstract way? Do you value your math knowledge?

I am in a BS/MS Chemical Engineering program. They come in handy a lot, and I love my math knowledge.

-King-
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I am planning on majoring on Sports management so math will come in pretty handy. But some math stuff as in the sin/tan/cos stuff, I dont get why I need to know that. I hate that bullshit.

Extra Point
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Took up to diff eq. Doing a project now that finally needs some attention from that class. In doing technical sales for 25+ years, the complex problems have just been reduced to linear stuff. That "higher learning" was a long, long, many-more-brain-cells-than-I-have-now ago.

MagicHef
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
I took up through Linear Algebra. My job requires me to add up numbers. Once in a while, a few of the numbers will be the same and I can use multiplication. That is, when I actually need to do math. The vast majority of the time, I just fill out paperwork.

lazepoo
02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Thats cool, it makes sense though.

That was cool.

googlegoogle
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.matthewpinkney.co.uk/pipage/Squaring%20the%20Circle.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=-I5tAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=circle+quadrable&source=bl&ots=7NxS7p1sTS&sig=-cNJayCOZWGanLm3jGTausvE1Xo&hl=en&ei=1gGJSZWYJYjKNJml6d8H&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

Alec R
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM

I hate math but I use complex algorithms everyday as a computer scientist. Math is key to understanding of a high tech world IMO. People that dont do math are taking the manufacturing job...oh wait, those are going to third world countries so they wont be taking any jobs.