PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Coaching/Free Agent Predictions for '09

Saccopoo
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Coaching Predictions:

Head Coach: Todd Haley
- Young coach to go with young GM and young owner.

Offensive Coordinator: Chan Gailey
- Worked miracles at times last season and employs the spread as did Haley at Arizona. Knows the Chiefs personnel.

Defensive Coordinator: Romeo Crennel
- One of the better defensive coaches in the NFL.

Having two former head coaches as coordinators provides additional insight and understanding on both sides of the ball and would help a young rookie head coach make a more seemless transition.

Free Agent addition predictions:

Eric Barton, LB
Willie McGinest, LB
Monte Biesel, LB
Bertrand Berry, DE
Jason Brown, OG
Khalif Barnes, OT
Devery Henderson, WR

Big if here, as I believe that the Chiefs are going to take the best QB on the board at #3, but if they don’t, which is a definite possibility, look for one of these two quarterbacks to be on the Chiefs roster next season:

Matt Cassel
JP Losman

If you hear the name of Sanchez or Stafford when the Chiefs pick, be sure that they will have picked up one of the following veterans to help guide their new pick:

Jeff Garcia
Charlie Batch
Pat Ramsey

And let me throw out a long shot, here, but one that would make a little bit of sense for the Chiefs in a transition period:

Jake “The Snake” Plummer

Dicky McElephant
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Holy. Fucking. Christ

talastan
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Jake “The Snake” Plumber

Choke yourself :cuss:

Rooster
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
:spock::spock:

Dicky McElephant
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
There is so much wrong here I don't know where to start. Lets start here....

McGinest? No.
Biesel? No.
Berry? No.
Brown? Yes.
Barnes? No.
Henderson? Ehhhhh

JP Losman? Why would you want him on this team?

And in no way shape or form do I want Patrick Ramsey guiding our new QB. And Plummer as our QB? Are you fucking kidding me?

PhillyChiefFan
02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
:popcorn:

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Holy. Fucking. Christ

This

DaKCMan AP
The n00bs are getting more and more retarded.

talastan
The suggestions alone in the OP should be a bannable offense IMO!! Plumber?! Hell no!! Losman :spock:

If you just put this up to attract attention n00b you're going to get the wrong kind! :shake:

DaneMcCloud
Coaching Predictions:

- Worked miracles at times last season and employs the spread as did Haley at Arizona. Knows the Chiefs personnel.

Having two former head coaches as coordinators provides additional insight and understanding on both sides of the ball and would help a young rookie head coach make a more seemless transition.

Eric Barton, LB
Willie McGinest, LB
Monte Biesel, LB
Bertrand Berry, DE
Jason Brown, OG
Khalif Barnes, OT
Devery Henderson, WR

Big if here, as I believe that the Chiefs are going to take the best QB on the board at #3, but if they don’t, which is a definite possibility, look for one of these two quarterbacks to be on the Chiefs roster next season:

Matt Cassel
JP Losman

If you hear the name of Sanchez or Stafford when the Chiefs pick, be sure that they will have picked up one of the following veterans to help guide their new pick:

Jeff Garcia
Charlie Batch
Pat Ramsey

And let me throw out a long shot, here, but one that would make a little bit of sense for the Chiefs in a transition period:

Jake “The Snake” Plummer

Never go Full Retard

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
What in the heck is the point of picking up a vet backup. Thigpen can serve just fine in that role and is still young with upside. The thought that Jeff Garcia and Charlie F'n Batch can tutor a QB to greatness just cracks me up. That is what coaching is for.

bluehawkdoc
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I was with you until you started in on the free agents. Is that when you lit up the crack pipe?

ChiefRon
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Now, now. Let's calm down a little, I do like the coaching predictions.

Haley / Gailey / Crennel I could definitely live with.

The FA predictions wouldn't bother me too much with a few changes. We do have quite a bit of cap room which appealed to Pioli, so I think he will make at least a splash or two, maybe on defense since the draft may lean toward building the O. And I would think he would address the DL / LB / S position pretty hard.

Eric Barton, LB - Meh
Willie McGinest, LB - As a situational player + mentor of the system? Why not
Monte Biesel, LB - Special teams, low-money deal? Sure
Bertrand Berry, DE - Possibly, if we can't land Peppers
Jason Brown, OG - Yes
Khalif Barnes, OT - Meh, maybe
Devery Henderson, WR - Doubtful

Saccopoo
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Jake's got plenty of football still in him, and since he bought himself out of the Buccaneers, and has been staying in top physical condition by playing handball at a world class level, and has always been considered a mobile, improvisational quarterback, you can't possibly deny that the Snake wouldn't make an interesting choice for a mentoring role for a guy like Sanchez. Start Plummer for a couple of years then hand the reigns of the franchise over to Mark in '11 or so.

Hell, Collins and Warner had standout seasons this past year and Plummer is younger than either. He'd be fun to watch in a wide open spread offense and put a little offensive excitement back into Arrowhead.

blueballs
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Fred Flinstone for RT

ChiefsCountry
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
When in hell did Arizona run the spread? They do not run the SPREAD offense.

ChiefRon
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Jake's got plenty of football still in him, and since he bought himself out of the Buccaneers, and has been staying in top physical condition by playing handball at a world class level, and has always been considered a mobile, improvisational quarterback, you can't possibly deny that the Snake wouldn't make an interesting choice for a mentoring role for a guy like Sanchez. Start Plummer for a couple of years then hand the reigns of the franchise over to Mark in '11 or so.

Hell, Collins and Warner had standout seasons this past year and Plummer is younger than either. He'd be fun to watch in a wide open spread offense and put a little offensive excitement back into Arrowhead.

I think this is where you had people turn on you. Jake mentoring somebody? Come on, man, this is where the crack references come from.

suds79
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I used to think that if we draft a QB at 3 you bring in a vet to guide him but now that I think about it, that's probably wrong.

When you draft a guy at 3, you play him and let him learn on the job.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Apparently, you don't read Sports Illustrated.

Jake wants NO part of the NFL, whatsoever.

He is DONE.

Besides that, Jake Plummer? ROFL

Dicky McElephant
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Did you just compare Kurt Warner to Jake Plummer? :bong:

Saccopoo
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I used to think that if we draft a QB at 3 you bring in a vet to guide him but now that I think about it, that's probably wrong.

When you draft a guy at 3, you play him and let him learn on the job.

And you run the possibility of ending up in a Vince Young situation.

I'm just saying that there isn't a GM or coach in the league that is going to start the season with a quarterback situation like Sanchez, Croyle, and Thigpen. You are going to see a veteran QB on the roster.

ChiefsCountry
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Vince Young's situation was bc he had a mental breakdown, it wasnt bc of his play on the field.

suds79
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM

I'm just saying that there isn't a GM or coach in the league that is going to start the season with a quarterback situation like Sanchez, Croyle, and Thigpen. You are going to see a veteran QB on the roster.

Probably. It's a moot point because I don't think we're taking a QB at #3 anyways.

But if they do, that guy will be starting by week 3 if not by the beginning of the season.

But probably won't happen.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 05:03 PM

WHAT???

No "veteran QB" leads to mental issues?

WTF?

Saccopoo
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Vince Young's situation was bc he had a mental breakdown, it wasnt bc of his play on the field.

That was my point. You put a guy out there that may not be ready to compete, both mentally and physically, and you run the risks. Perhaps it's a risk that the Chiefs need to take, but it is a risk. Perhaps you get a Peyton Manning, but then you could end up with Vince Young (freak out) or Alex Smith (broken).

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
That was my point. You put a guy out there that may not be ready to compete, both mentally and physically, and you run the risks. Perhaps it's a risk that the Chiefs need to take, but it is a risk. Perhaps you get a Peyton Manning, but then you could end up with Vince Young (freak out) or Alex Smith (broken).

And you could also end up with Matt Ryan.

Come on, Dude. This is ridiculous.

penguinz
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Never go Full RetardI can not believe he might get an oscar nomination for that role

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
...Defensive Coordinator: Romeo Crennel
- One of the better defensive coaches in the NFL...

You're kidding yourself. The guy is nothing special.

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
...Jake “The Snake” Plummer

Speechless.

bevis369
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Ban him from posting again...ROFL:cuss::eek::shake::rolleyes::mad::fart::PPL:mnlmnlm:fire::loser::bang::bang::bang::bang: :bang::bang::bang::bang:

DTLB58
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
You're kidding yourself. The guy is nothing special.

Nobody said that when he was D coordinator for Parcells and Billicheck.

For the hundreth time some guys are good Coordinators but not good H.C.'s

I'm fine with that hire if it would happen

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Nobody said that when he was D coordinator for Parcells and Billicheck.

For the hundreth time some guys are good Coordinators but not good H.C.'s

I'm fine with that hire if it would happen

Then you deserve him.

DTLB58
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
If we do go after a veteran backup for Thigpen or a rookie, I say we should look at Leftwich.

DTLB58
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Then you deserve him.

A SB D coordiantor who was under those 2 HC's I'll take him.

Tell me, Why don't you think he is crap with his credentials?

jAZ
02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Coaching Predictions:

I could see this.

pr_capone
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Eric Barton, LB
Willie McGinest, LB
Monte Biesel, LB
Bertrand Berry, DE
Jason Brown, OG
Khalif Barnes, OT
Devery Henderson, WR

Matt Cassel
JP Losman

Jeff Garcia
Charlie Batch
Pat Ramsey

Jake “The Snake” Plummer

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/mtx72lrpbgot10hag9ml.gif

Big if here, as I believe that the Chiefs are going to take the best QB on the board at #3, but if they don’t, which is a definite possibility,

The Chiefs are either going to take a QB at #3 but they possibly wont.

Dynamite fucking drop in there billy.

KCChiefsMan
02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
LETS GET MIKE VICK

DrRyan
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM

Ummm....I do not see any way that Croyle is on the 53 man roster next season. Barring a veteran FA signing it will likely be #3 pick, Thigpen and Quinn Grey/Gray. I would gladly take him over Croyle as the third stringer.

bevis369
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
:bong::bong::bong::bong::bong::bong::bong::bong::bong:

wazu
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Coaching Predictions:

Eric Barton, LB
Willie McGinest, LB
Monte Biesel, LB
Bertrand Berry, DE
Jason Brown, OG
Khalif Barnes, OT
Devery Henderson, WR

Matt Cassel
JP Losman

Jeff Garcia
Charlie Batch
Pat Ramsey

Jake “The Snake” Plummer

Good thread, sacagoo. It's always easy for people to throw darts. Personally I'd rather read a thought-out list of predictions than most of the crap that gets posted.

Saccopoo
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Ummm....I do not see any way that Croyle is on the 53 man roster next season. Barring a veteran FA signing it will likely be #3 pick, Thigpen and Quinn Grey/Gray. I would gladly take him over Croyle as the third stringer.

Why? Because the guy got his leg broke on a play that would have broke everybody/anybody's leg in the league? Because he was the Chief's starter when the season began in '08? Because he has an excellent arm? Or is it because Thigpen throws the ball like it is a marshmallow, can't make decent reads, makes incredibly poor decisions, and over/underthrows his receivers on a more than regular basis? Or is it that Quinn Gray has done so much in his six year career that constitutes his elevation on the depth charts?

If nothing changes on the Chiefs next season in terms of quarterbacks, Croyle starts. Thigpen has no business being on an NFL roster - at least as a quarterback, and Grey, after six seasons is still an unknown commodity.

With regard to Jake Plummer, if you nitwits would actually take the time to read a post, I stated that it was a long shot. However, if your collective memories allow such a thing, remember back to the 2005 season, where he broke John Elways franchise yardage and touchdown records (for a season), beat the New England Pats in the playoffs when they were considered unbeatable, and gave the Broncos their only playoff win in the post-Elway era. (And considering that Shanahan was his coach makes this achievement even more amazing. That the Broncos, at the time of Plummer's "benching" in 2006 were leading the AFC, and their four losses came at the expense of what has materialized as one of the worst defenses in the NFL, says a lot about his leadership and on-the-field capabilities. The Doncos never recovered from Shanahans insanity from game 11 in 2006 and on, and I feel that Plummer has vindicated himself in light of said football dumbassery on the part of Shanahan - a guy, by the way, who many here on this board, were ready to get down on their knees for when that idiotic coaching rumor was being passed around. It amazes me that people here would be happy to embrace an imbecilic meglomaniac as a head coach, but get all whiny and stupid if you suggest that a decent quarterback would play for the Chiefs.) He's mobile, has a good arm, and he hates Mike Shanahan. (Huge plus.) Personally, I don't think that there is any significant chance of Jake coming back to the NFL, but Plummer appears to have a substantially better upside than any of the "available" free agent quarterbacks out there for next season.

Marcellus
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Handball at a world class level? The Plummer thing threw me but handball? Good grief almighty. Seriously? Hand fucking ball?

DrRyan
02-03-2009, 07:44 PM
The first part of your post did show some thought and I agree it may be Haley getting the HC job and Gailey staying around as the OC. I still have a feeling though Pioli is going to pull a rabbit out of his hat for a WTF hire. But, when you got to FAs you kind of lost me. Of your listed FAs I would only be very interested in Brown and Berry. Berry is not going to come cheap though, and while in NE the Pioli/Belichick tandem rarely went for the top tier FA. I would be mildly interested in McGinest if he came fairly cheap, but even so he is getting old.

DrRyan
02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Why? Because the guy got his leg broke on a play that would have broke everybody/anybody's leg in the league? Because he was the Chief's starter when the season began in '08? Because he has an excellent arm? Or is it because Thigpen throws the ball like it is a marshmallow, can't make decent reads, makes incredibly poor decisions, and over/underthrows his receivers on a more than regular basis? Or is it that Quinn Gray has done so much in his six year career that constitutes his elevation on the depth charts?

If nothing changes on the Chiefs next season in terms of quarterbacks, Croyle starts. Thigpen has no business being on an NFL roster - at least as a quarterback, and Grey, after six seasons is still an unknown commodity.

With regard to Jake Plummer, if you nitwits would actually take the time to read a post, I stated that it was a long shot. However, if your collective memories allow such a thing, remember back to the 2005 season, where he broke John Elways franchise yardage and touchdown records (for a season), beat the New England Pats in the playoffs when they were considered unbeatable, and gave the Broncos their only playoff win in the post-Elway era. (And considering that Shanahan was his coach makes this achievement even more amazing. That the Broncos, at the time of Plummer's "benching" in 2006 were leading the AFC, and their four losses came at the expense of what has materialized as one of the worst defenses in the NFL, says a lot about his leadership and on-the-field capabilities. The Doncos never recovered from Shanahans insanity from game 11 in 2006 and on, and I feel that Plummer has vindicated himself in light of said football dumbassery on the part of Shanahan - a guy, by the way, who many here on this board, were ready to get down on their knees for when that idiotic coaching rumor was being passed around. It amazes me that people here would be happy to embrace an imbecilic meglomaniac as a head coach, but get all whiny and stupid if you suggest that a decent quarterback would play for the Chiefs.) He's mobile, has a good arm, and he hates Mike Shanahan. (Huge plus.) Personally, I don't think that there is any significant chance of Jake coming back to the NFL, but Plummer appears to have a substantially better upside than any of the "available" free agent quarterbacks out there for next season.

Do you watch football? Did you really just say that Croyle could be a starting QB next season(I will give you at least 100:1 odds against that). Thigpen showed enough to be a backup QB and a serviceable one at that. Do I want him starting for us? Hell no. Do I want Brokie Croyle starting for us? Hell ****ing NO, that is crazy talk. The guy has never once made it through more than a couple games w/o being injured. Wake up dude!

Ok Ok, I take it all back. A world class handball player is exactly what this franchise needs to return to prominence. ROFLROFL Also, why is hating the Rat a huge plus since he is no longer coaching?

Saccopoo
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
The first part of your post did show some thought and I agree it may be Haley getting the HC job and Gailey staying around as the OC. I still have a feeling though Pioli is going to pull a rabbit out of his hat for a WTF hire. But, when you got to FAs you kind of lost me. Of your listed FAs I would only be very interested in Brown and Berry. Berry is not going to come cheap though, and while in NE the Pioli/Belichick tandem rarely went for the top tier FA. I would be mildly interested in McGinest if he came fairly cheap, but even so he is getting old.

The Chiefs need linebacker help. I doubt that they are going to be able to do it in a single draft, and I really don't want to see Johnson in the middle again. He's fine on the strong side, but having him forced into the middle just showed the problems that the Chiefs had at linebacker last season. Barton is about as good as you'll find at the middle spot in free agency and probably better than anyone in the draft other than Curry, Malauga or Laurenitis. Drafting Curry comes down to whether or not we want Sanchez/Stafford, and Malauga and Laurenitis won't be there when the Chiefs pick in the second round. So, what I was thinking was that the quarterback (Sanchez/Stafford) was more important than the linebacker (Curry), and that Barton was the guy to fill the middle for the Chiefs via free agency. McGinnest was based on my earlier Crennel prediction...someone who has played at a high level that could come in with knowledge of the system. A two down type of player. Biesel as a backup and special teams. (And it's my opinion that the Chiefs special teams hasn't been the same since Biesel left. He was a monster on kicks and punts and in the returns of such things. It would be nice to see the Chiefs field a decent special teams unit and Biesel would help in that regard greatly.) Brown and Barnes are obvious in that the Chiefs need help on the right side of the offensive line, and would be upgrades to our current situation. Henderson would give the Chiefs a decent #2 receiver - something that they do not have. The quarterbacks...eh. The QB free agents this year blow...thus my Plummer suggestion. Sure he's a bit of a cowboy on the field, but he's also effective when he's had a decent supporting cast. Gonzalez and Bowe would be a substantial upgrade to what he had to work with in Denver, even in his breakout 2005 season. And having a Haley/Gailey coaching situation would be light years beyond the manic insanity of Shanahan. (Who, in his continued "coaching" lunacy, has proven that it was Alex Gibbs who was the true mastermind behind the Broncos Super Bowl victories, not the rat.)

Saccopoo
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Also, why is hating the Rat a huge plus since he is no longer coaching?

Because it shows the man's quality of character and true football knowledge.

Besides, handball is tough. That crap will keep you in shape! Snake's gotta have some wicked fast twitch muscle response. I bet his open field, bootleggin' has gotten even better!

bigdreams1
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Free Agent pickups:
Khalif Barnes RT: Had a solid rookie season, has fallen off a little bit. He should be a great RT after playing LT his whole career with some success.
Bart Scott OLB: Our biggest FA pickup. Is a leader and will be a defensive force from Day 1.
Justin Miller CB/Returns: Will add depth to our secondary and is a Pro Bowl return man.
Channing Crowder ILB: He may not make it out of Miami but its obvious our LB's need some help.

Cormac
02-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Biesel as a backup and special teams. (And it's my opinion that the Chiefs special teams hasn't been the same since Biesel left. He was a monster on kicks and punts and in the returns of such things. It would be nice to see the Chiefs field a decent special teams unit and Biesel would help in that regard greatly.) Brown and Barnes are obvious in that the Chiefs need help on the right side of the offensive line, and would be upgrades to our current situation. Henderson would give the Chiefs a decent #2 receiver - something that they do not have. The quarterbacks...eh. The QB free agents this year blow...thus my Plummer suggestion. Sure he's a bit of a cowboy on the field, but he's also effective when he's had a decent supporting cast. Gonzalez and Bowe would be a substantial upgrade to what he had to work with in Denver, even in his breakout 2005 season. And having a Haley/Gailey coaching situation would be light years beyond the manic insanity of Shanahan. (Who, in his continued "coaching" lunacy, has proven that it was Alex Gibbs who was the true mastermind behind the Broncos Super Bowl victories, not the rat.)

Beisel was a good STer but that was back in the day of decent STs. Gary Stills was good too. I think STs were best when both played together and started to slide before Beisel moved on (IIRC). Bringing Beisel back wouldn't make much difference at this stage, IMO. STs are a young, hungry man's game. I doubt Beisel has all that left in him.

Bradley is doing well at the #2 WR spot. Devery Henderson has been a bust. I'd favour drafting another WR, unless Pioli and the new coaching staff believe that Will Franklin (or other) can develop.

Plummer is (thankfully) a distant memory to the NFL. He was dreadful in Denver and worse in Houston. I would be embarassed to call myself a Chiefs fan if he was signed. Seriously.

I think the Haley - Gailey - Crennel coaching staff is probably dead on.

Saccopoo
02-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Beisel was a good STer but that was back in the day of decent STs. Gary Stills was good too. I think STs were best when both played together and started to slide before Beisel moved on (IIRC). Bringing Beisel back wouldn't make much difference at this stage, IMO. STs are a young, hungry man's game. I doubt Beisel has all that left in him.

Bradley is doing well at the #2 WR spot. Devery Henderson has been a bust. I'd favour drafting another WR, unless Pioli and the new coaching staff believe that Will Franklin (or other) can develop.

Plummer is (thankfully) a distant memory to the NFL. He was dreadful in Denver and worse in Houston. I would be embarassed to call myself a Chiefs fan if he was signed. Seriously.

I think the Haley - Gailey - Crennel coaching staff is probably dead on.

Bradley gots some balls thrown to him, and there is a bit of difference between Drew Brees and Thigpen, but Henderson doubled Bradley's yard per catch last season. (32 receptions, 793 yards, 24.8 average, 3 tds for Bradley versus 30, 380, 12.7, 3 for Bradley)

The problem I see with the Chiefs receiving corps is that #1. They don't have any on the field speed. No one has shown the ability to separate from defenders and stretch the field. #2. They don't have any hands outside of Bowe and Gonzalez.

That has a lot to do with the quarterback though, unless you have someone like Steve Largent, and I'm pretty sure that the Chiefs don't.

You're most likely correct regarding special teams, although there are just some guys who will always play the special teams better than others. Beisel is a guy like that, and I really think that the Chiefs ST's have been pretty sorry since Stills and Beisel left. Coaching is a part of it, but you've got to have a different mindset to really excel on special teams. I just remember Beisel going over to NE and all of a sudden Dante Hall went from human joystick to pedestrian.