PDA

View Full Version : Football This is really horrible. Should we start a charitable foundation? (Sarcasm alert)

T-post Tom
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Support the island dream for your favorite NFL players...

Players say exotic Hawaii best place for Pro Bowl
Feb. 3, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

KAPOLEI, Hawaii -- As Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis casually chatted at their posh oceanside resort, the discussion quickly turned to how much they'll miss Hawaii.

The Pro Bowl is bidding aloha to the islands after Sunday's game following a 30-year run.

Next year's Pro Bowl will be played in Miami a week before the Super Bowl. The location after that remains uncertain.

One thing is clear, many of the NFL's top stars are unsure about the Pro Bowl being shipped to the mainland.

"I just think you take away from everything the Pro Bowl means," Lewis said Tuesday. "I don't understand it all."

The Baltimore Ravens linebacker, who played college football at the University of Miami, said he would "probably not" play next year's game if selected.

Lewis, making his 10th Pro Bowl trip, said many players live or visit Florida often, so playing there wouldn't necessarily be a reward.

"That's no vacation," he said. "That's what we regularly do. You don't want to go to the Pro Bowl and do what you regularly do. You want to come over and do something different. You want to tour the islands and bring the kids over here to see something different."

The NFL has been looking to increase the profile of the game.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, had called the Pro Bowl "a somewhat anticlimactic" ending to the season.

Houston receiver Andre Johnson said all the players love coming to Hawaii.

"When you think of the Pro Bowl, you think of Hawaii," he said. "But then again, it's a change that was made and all you can do is roll with it."

The Pro Bowl could end up rotating between Hawaii and the mainland.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11335334

DaFace
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
I know the players are a bit spoiled, but I don't really disagree with them here. I'm fine with them moving the game to the week before the Super Bowl, but I don't get the move from Hawaii.

Thig Lyfe
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tdj5EI5b5zE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tdj5EI5b5zE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Adept Havelock
02-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Move the game to the week before the Super Bowl seems like a bad move. No way in hell players from either SB team play.

Not that it matters much. Stuck in a 4-3, no blitzing defense isn't football IMO.

Thig Lyfe
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Move the game to the week before the Super Bowl seems like a bad move. No way in hell players from either SB team play.

That's what I was thinking.

Smed1065
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I know the players are a bit spoiled, but I don't really disagree with them here. I'm fine with them moving the game to the week before the Super Bowl, but I don't get the move from Hawaii.

I also do not see them whining if they move it. They can travel anywhere they want on their own dime if they are after the family atmosphere.

StcChief
02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
moving it to the SB off-week will backfire.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
moving it to the SB off-week will backfire.

I disagree.

I think that football junkies will go nuts for the game. It's really hard to wait 2 weeks until the Super Bowl and once it's over, the Pro-Bowl is anti-climatic.

Having it between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl will not only increase the Pro-Bowl ratings, it will increase the amount of the next TV contract.

Everything the NFL does is about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Darth CarlSatan
02-03-2009, 09:46 PM
No one on a SB team will play in that game.

Buehler445
02-03-2009, 10:51 PM
No one on a SB team will play in that game.

Who cares? Half the guys don't play as it is. I wouldn't play. It is totally not worth blowing out a knee or something dumb for a worthless allstar game.

beach tribe
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I don't like the idea at all.

unothadeal
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Sucks for players in Miami already.

Darth CarlSatan
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Who cares? Half the guys don't play as it is. I wouldn't play. It is totally not worth blowing out a knee or something dumb for a worthless allstar game.

And that right there is the gist; it's a fucking joke. I like the individual skill competitions they do, but the game is a useless waste of time.

What they ought to do, is bring out the top two projected picks for each position, and put them in the skill competitions with the pro's. Now THAT would draw an audience, and we could do away with the farce altogether.

Since no one is going to be hitting anyway, toss in a flag game for shits and giggles. At least THAT would be honest.

Jenson71
02-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm just so damn conflicted over this I don't know what to think.

Extra Point
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Screw the two weeks dead time. Play the Super Bowl after the conference championship, then play the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, or San Diego, Tampa, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, LA. How about LA, until they find a team?

Not saying get it over with, at all. But there should be a transition, and a new destination every year.

What is the capacity of the Pro Bowl stadium, and the percent of dead seats?

T-post Tom
02-04-2009, 03:02 AM
What is the capacity of the Pro Bowl stadium, and the percent of dead seats?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Stadium

And while you're at it: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Nov/18/bz/hawaii711180339.html

Rausch
02-04-2009, 03:31 AM
"Lewis, never a man able to know when to shut the fuck up, said many players live or visit Florida often, so him being a sweaty loudmouth braggart whore would be nothing new to most players this week... "