PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Opinions about an SUV purchase

The Bad Guy
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Since my 03 Chevy Envoy is on the outs, and I want to have a completely reliable vehicle for when my child is born in August, I'm looking for a new SUV again.

I thought I'd solicit some advice on here as to what models some were satisfied with. I didn't mind the Envoy, but since I want to get something in the 07-08 range, I'm not spending over 30k to own another one.

I do really like the new Toyota Highlanders or the Honda Pilots, but think they are out of my range.

I know there are some car guys on here. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

PastorMikH
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Nissan Armada, Pathfinder, and Murano are worth looking at and Nissans tend to last a long time.

DeezNutz
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
GMC Acadia has received strong reviews.

Know a guy who has one, and he loves it.

OnTheWarpath58
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I love our Highlander. I'd recommend it highly. I'm not sure what you're going to get cheaper that is a better made vehicle.

(Especially if I'm spending your money...)

:D

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
We have friends with kids that are absolutely in LOVE with their Honda Pilots.

JFC, here I go again: If you're a Costco member, you get special invoice pricing. It's either $300 or $500 over invoice and you deal with the Fleet department. No sales people. You're in and out in 90 minutes.

You guys are going to think I'm the CEO of Costco soon.

LMAO

The Bad Guy
02-03-2009, 09:24 PM

JFC, here I go again: If you're a Costco member, you get special invoice pricing. It's either $300 or $500 over invoice and you deal with the Fleet department. No sales people. You're in and out in 90 minutes.

LMAO

Hot damn. I am a Costco member. I never even knew this was an option.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Go tomorrow, you won't regret it. It's the only way to buy a new car.

The Bad Guy
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I love our Highlander. I'd recommend it highly. I'm not sure what you're going to get cheaper that is a better made vehicle.

(Especially if I'm spending your money...)

:D

My wife really, really loves them. Her friend has one and she rode in it the other day and loved it.

The big thing for me is going to get them to budge (I'd like to buy new) on the price, and give me a good value for my trade.

I'd like to keep my payments around 300-350.

OnTheWarpath58
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM

LMAO

Damn. That's as easy as it gets.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM

http://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipcode.aspx?gotourl=%2fdefault.aspx

Good luck!

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Damn. That's as easy as it gets.

We've purchased three Lexus RX model SUV's through Costco and each and every time, we've received an amazing deal. And it's been extremely easy.

I highly recommend it.

The Bad Guy
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Is there any way to trade in vehicles through this service? This is insane.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Is there any way to trade in vehicles through this service? This is insane.

You never want to trade anything in. Ever.

The Bad Guy
02-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Normally I would agree with you, but I can't imagine the demand for an 03 Envoy is in big demand.

I think buying new would net me some more on the trade-in value.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Honda Odyssey :thumb:

Period.

So good we own two. I shit you not.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM

This.

You'll always lose your ass.

Put it on Ebay, Craigslist, whatever.

Trades are horrible for consumer (Sorry, T.B.A.!)

Phobia
02-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Normally I would agree with you, but I can't imagine the demand for an 03 Envoy is in big demand.

That's exactly what the dealerships want you to believe.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Dealerships make their bread and butter on used cars. No one should ever buy or sell a used car from a dealership. At all. Ever. They are there to rape your asshole, only they want to drug you first so you don't know it ever happened.

Guru
02-03-2009, 09:48 PM

LMAO

Then get one in Topeka will ya.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Then get one in Topeka will ya.

As CEO of Costco, I've boycotted Topeka until you move someplace else.

:evil:

Guru
02-03-2009, 09:50 PM

Yeah, it only plummets 35% in value the first 2 years. Nearly 10% drop when you drive it off the lot.

Guru
02-03-2009, 09:51 PM
As CEO of Costco, I've boycotted Topeka until you move someplace else.

:evil:

Nothing new. This town has been screwing me from the moment I was born. :shake:

The Bad Guy
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, it only plummets 35% in value the first 2 years. Nearly 10% drop when you drive it off the lot.

All of that doesn't bother me. I'm not going to be turning around and selling it within the first 2 years anyway.

If you buy a vehicle with great re-sell value, then it all evens out.

Skip Towne
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Nissan Armada, Pathfinder, and Murano are worth looking at and Nissans tend to last a long time.

Yeah but they are all Jap. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Guru
02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
All of that doesn't bother me. I'm not going to be turning around and selling it within the first 2 years anyway.

If you buy a vehicle with great re-sell value, then it all evens out.Unless you get t-boned by some idiot that can't see a stop sign after only 18 months of owning the vehicle.:(

Sure-Oz
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
My mom owns a 2001 black Honda Pilot and loves it. I've driven it across a few states and it was a comfy ride and had plenty of space for our stuff. Good stereo and navigation system as well.

I would recommend them easily.

Skip Towne
02-03-2009, 11:54 PM

If you buy a vehicle with great re-sell value, then it all evens out.

Are you the same Guru I've grown to know and love? If so, you are the tightest man on the Planet. With your philosophy you have no business buying a new car. It is not cost effective. You can't afford the initial depreciation when you drive it off the lot. Let alone the steep depreciation afterward. Find a two year old vehicle of your choice and then you can afford satellite television.

manchambo
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
We went with the Acura MDX, which is basically a Pilot with more power, a more sophisticated AWD system, and a nicer interior. We love the car and I would highly recommend it, or the Pilot, depending on the money situation.

The MDX can be leased for $499/mo., which is pretty good for a car that stickers ar $42k.

BWillie
02-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Since my 03 Chevy Envoy is on the outs, and I want to have a completely reliable vehicle for when my child is born in August, I'm looking for a new SUV again.

I thought I'd solicit some advice on here as to what models some were satisfied with. I didn't mind the Envoy, but since I want to get something in the 07-08 range, I'm not spending over 30k to own another one.

I do really like the new Toyota Highlanders or the Honda Pilots, but think they are out of my range.

I know there are some car guys on here. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

If I were you I'd buy a 1995 Ford Explorer. You'll save a whole lot of dough. Everybody advocated for me to get a nice car, when I finally did the f*cking thing breaks down every day. I've put in over $2,000 in the car in the last two months alone and my check engine light just went on. My car is only four freaking years old. At least if you have a POS, if something goes out on it. You just throw it away, and you don't really have to worry about much depreciation on it.

jAZ
02-04-2009, 02:06 AM
My advice...

Shop around at the luxury car dealerships to see what trade-in inventory they keep on the lot. Look for a 2-3 year old used model of some vehicle that you like. The luxury dealerships seem to treat their customers the best, even the people buying a $15,000 used car. We've done it with our last 2 vehicles and have been very satisfied with both the day-of service and the high quality vehicle we ended up with.

There's something about not wanting to tarnish their high-end brand that seems to keep the above board in the used car side of things.

You need to be flexible since you never know what they have on the lot, and be willing to make 2 trips (one to see what's there go home to research... then one to return to deal).

Rausch
02-04-2009, 02:11 AM
My advice...

Shop around at the luxury car dealerships to see what trade-in inventory they keep on the lot. Look for a 2-3 year old used model of some vehicle that you like. The luxury dealerships seem to treat their customers the best, even the people buying a $15,000 used car. We've done it with our last 2 vehicles and have been very satisfied with both the day-of service and the high quality vehicle we ended up with.

I was just about to go liberal and then BOOM!

jAZ goes and lets out his inner Alex P. Keaton...

Guru
02-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Are you the same Guru I've grown to know and love? If so, you are the tightest man on the Planet. With your philosophy you have no business buying a new car. It is not cost effective. You can't afford the initial depreciation when you drive it off the lot. Let alone the steep depreciation afterward. Find a two year old vehicle of your choice and then you can afford satellite television.Not sure why you are talking to me in a quote from The Bad Guy. heh

I'm not tight with my money. I'm frugal.:D

Buying that van new was a once in a lifetime thing for us. After what happened we will never do it again. I just wish my experience with the dealership that sold me this used van had been more up front with me. The last three days have been a complete pain in the ass with the issues that have cropped up already.

With all the work I have had to do to get them to see my point of view, I don't see myself giving them my business again in the future much less ever giving them a referral.

Oh, and I can afford satellite television. I just choose not to spend my money on it.:)

MTG#10
02-04-2009, 04:06 AM

This. My Pathfinder has been the most reliable, trouble-free vehicle Ive ever owned.

stevieray
02-04-2009, 05:02 AM
frank, do you even read the board. every three months, someone has to make the same thread that creates same answers.

american cars suck
japanese cars landed on the moon.

good luck in your search.

Guru
02-04-2009, 05:06 AM
frank, do you even read the board. every three months, someone has to make the same thread that creates same answers.

american cars suck
japanese cars landed on the moon.

good luck in your search.ROFL True but I know I wouldn't want to waste my time searching the crap to find more specific answers. There are always enough posters with good information to outweigh the ones that just say what you mentioned.

King_Chief_Fan
02-04-2009, 06:22 AM

I highly recommend the Mercedes Benz ML 350. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Excellent warranty, you are given a Mercedes loaner when your car is getting routine maintenance (the only time my car has ever been in the shop). When your car needs service, they come pick it up and leave you a loaner. The MB holds good value. On the last warranty service schedule, they saw things that might need to be fixed 5-10K miles after the warranty would run out. They went ahead and made those fixes before the warranty went out. $50K is a lot to spend, but over the life of that car, it isn't much. It has a great ride and plenty of room. I also have a new C350. Now that car is awesome. Only drawback to MB's is the fact they have to use premium fuel. Not an issue lately with lower fuel prices.

MahiMike
02-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Dealerships make their bread and butter on used cars. No one should ever buy or sell a used car from a dealership. At all. Ever. They are there to rape your asshole, only they want to drug you first so you don't know it ever happened.

I've bought and sold 31 vehicles since I was 15. Never lost money on one. Broke even couple times. Bought from private and dealers. Dealerships can be had. Matter of fact, I'd ONLY buy used from a dealer because their new prices are fixed. The used cars have tons of leeway to haggle. Go in there on the last day of the month in an icestorm. Got a great deal on a Camaro like that. As far as trading in is concerned, it depends on the condition of your car. If you can sell it privately, do so. If it's on its last legs or needs major repairs, trade it in and get the tax break on the difference of the new car.

What's wrong w/your 2003 American car?

The Bad Guy
02-04-2009, 06:42 AM
I've bought and sold 31 vehicles since I was 15. Never lost money on one. Broke even couple times. Bought from private and dealers. Dealerships can be had. Matter of fact, I'd ONLY buy used from a dealer because their new prices are fixed. The used cars have tons of leeway to haggle. Go in there on the last day of the month in an icestorm. Got a great deal on a Camaro like that. As far as trading in is concerned, it depends on the condition of your car. If you can sell it privately, do so. If it's on its last legs or needs major repairs, trade it in and get the tax break on the difference of the new car.

What's wrong w/your 2003 American car?

My dad thinks there is a radiator leak - it's been steaming up pretty bad on the inside. We put a sealer in it, and it should temporarily work for the time being.

I've had some issues with it when it was under warranty, and those issues are starting to re-surface. I'd like to get rid of it now while it has relatively low miles (66k) and appears to be in great shape.

Amnorix
02-04-2009, 06:54 AM

Period.

QFT, but some people can't deal with driving the minivan. I struggled for a LONG time with it. I really, REALLY wanted a Pathfinder, but I knew what was better for our family and sucked it up.

Have not regretted it for a second. I love that stupid mommymobile.

Amnorix
02-04-2009, 06:55 AM

The problem isn't with American buyers making the wrong choices. It's American producers making the wrong choices, and putting out crap product.

Amnorix
02-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Website of general interest on this stuff, and also has some amusement value:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

Saulbadguy
02-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Good lord, how many problems could an 03 vehicle have? How many miles does it have on it?

Saulbadguy
02-04-2009, 07:27 AM
My dad thinks there is a radiator leak - it's been steaming up pretty bad on the inside. We put a sealer in it, and it should temporarily work for the time being.

I've had some issues with it when it was under warranty, and those issues are starting to re-surface. I'd like to get rid of it now while it has relatively low miles (66k) and appears to be in great shape.

Just saw this.

Damn, only 66k miles and only a radiator leak?

I'm not one to judge your financial situation because I have no idea, but vehicles ARE designed to last more than 66,000 miles these days. The cost to fix your radiator would probably be less than 2 car payments.

MahiMike
02-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Going on a rant…

I think it's very telling that this is the 2nd thread in 2 weeks about problems w/relatively new American cars. Last week, someone was looking at a 2008 Chrysler van w/a brand new transmission! This week, we have someone with a 2003 and only 66,000 miles looking to trade it in. At one time I was a “Buy American” car guy. I still want to be. But these companies have done nothing to get better. My 1998 Toyota has 154,000 miles on it and I’m always looking for the inevitable time it finally gives out. Based on these threads, I can tell you I won’t be buying American anytime soon. I’ll take my $10K max and find plenty of good quality cars to choose from that have already been depreciated.

BTW, if you still want to help the economy, buying a used Japanese/German car still puts $ directly into our economy. Much different when you buy a new one.

Sorry for the rant. As you were.

Frosty
02-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Just food for thought.

I don't know the details of your Envoy or where you live but assuming a loaded SLT 4wd in excellent condition in Kansas City, the trade in for the Envoy is $8000. If a lesser model, it will be less. That is real trade in, not the inflated amount the dealer will show against full sticker price. Depending on the market, you may only get auction price, which would be lower.

To be honest, your trade-in value has bottomed out. Trading it in now versus later will only be a few thousand dollars.

Buying a new Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander will cost more than $30K. That $22K+ difference will buy a lot of repairs, not counting the higher cost of insurance and taxes. The previous generation full-size GM trucks had some minor problems (I have a 2005 Silverado) but they weren't of the catastrophic variety. It may be worth it to fix the radiator and keep driving your barely used vehicle while banking the difference for later.

The Bad Guy
02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Just saw this.

Damn, only 66k miles and only a radiator leak?

I'm not one to judge your financial situation because I have no idea, but vehicles ARE designed to last more than 66,000 miles these days. The cost to fix your radiator would probably be less than 2 car payments.

It's not just the radiator. It's the slip in the transmission that comes and goes.

The cost just to fix the heater core in the vehicle is 900 dollars. And that's not including the cost for the replacement radiator or fixing the transmission.

Sure-Oz
02-04-2009, 09:04 AM
My advice...

There's something about not wanting to tarnish their high-end brand that seems to keep the above board in the used car side of things.

You need to be flexible since you never know what they have on the lot, and be willing to make 2 trips (one to see what's there go home to research... then one to return to deal).

Superior Lexus in Tiffany Springs can blow me...they basically tried to bully my gf into buying a 18k car with a 10% interest rate. She wanted to buy it but after the test drive they pulled that shit, without me being there to tell her otherwise.(she doesnt know how to car shop) They are dirty ****s

She instead got a different car that was $4k cheaper and the interest rate was much much lower at a different dealer. They tried to take advantage of her big time. Her dad went off on them when he found out, and they knew he had bought 5 lexus cars from them before and had a great relationship with them and knew she was his daughter, needless to say they feel like huge idiots for probably losing one of their better customers.

fan4ever
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I would recommend the Honda Pilot becasue Consumer Reports rates it so high and my friends have owned Hondas forever, and compared to what I've owned, they are amazing, although Toyota supposedly has the best track record.

I have the original 2001 Toyota Highlander and have had a number of issues with it that I discovered were very common when surfing the internet. Perhaps because it was the year it was introduced, but have been very unhappy with the purchase. Cost me thousands in repair bills, and not recently, just after the warranty was over of course. These items (air conditioner computer board, burning oil, locks not working when hot and more) we so common a problem on the internet I thought at least some of them should have been recall situations.

If you do go with the Highlander, I've heard stay away from the Hybrid; not that much better MPG for the price. I have the 4 cylinder and my friend who bought a 6 cylinder model thought I had turbo since it was so quick (aluminum engine; saved about 600 pounds in dead weight according to my mechanic) so you may want to consider the smaller engine. Did a mileage test last month; getting about 26 miles to the gallon 7 years later...so it's not all been bad.

Brock
02-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't buy an SUV, when you can buy a 4 door pickup for the same or less money. A little more useful, IMO.

JonesCrusher
02-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Period.

Agreed, best vehicle I've owned.

MagicHef
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't buy an SUV, when you can buy a 4 door pickup for the same or less money. A little more useful, IMO.

The Highlander and Pilot seat 7 or 8. That may be what he is looking for.

MagicHef
02-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I would recommend the Honda Pilot becasue Consumer Reports rates it so high and my friends have owned Hondas forever, and compared to what I've owned, they are amazing, although Toyota supposedly has the best track record.

I have the original 2001 Toyota Highlander and have had a number of issues with it that I discovered were very common when surfing the internet. Perhaps because it was the year it was introduced, but have been very unhappy with the purchase. Cost me thousands in repair bills, and not recently, just after the warranty was over of course. These items (air conditioner computer board, burning oil, locks not working when hot and more) we so common a problem on the internet I thought at least some of them should have been recall situations.

If you do go with the Highlander, I've heard stay away from the Hybrid; not that much better MPG for the price. I have the 4 cylinder and my friend who bought a 6 cylinder model thought I had turbo since it was so quick (aluminum engine; saved about 600 pounds in dead weight according to my mechanic) so you may want to consider the smaller engine. Did a mileage test last month; getting about 26 miles to the gallon 7 years later...so it's not all been bad.

The V6 is aluminum, too. Looking at curb weights, though, there is a 300lb difference between 4 cylinder and V6.

HemiEd
02-04-2009, 09:36 AM

:thumb:

HC_Chief
02-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Acura MDX

bluehawkdoc
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
No complaints with my Lincoln Navigator. 6 year/100,000 mile warranty bumper-to-bumper.

bevis369
02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
:thumb:Stay away from all wheel drive vehicles , eat gas...

ChiefButthurt
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
My advice.....buy a sports car. SUVs are station wagons in disguise.

Lzen
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM

I don't know about the Armadas, but I do recall seeing Muranos at around 30k. I think he said he didn't want to spend that much.

Lzen
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
If I were you I'd buy a 1995 Ford Explorer. You'll save a whole lot of dough. Everybody advocated for me to get a nice car, when I finally did the f*cking thing breaks down every day. I've put in over $2,000 in the car in the last two months alone and my check engine light just went on. My car is only four freaking years old. At least if you have a POS, if something goes out on it. You just throw it away, and you don't really have to worry about much depreciation on it.

What kind of vehicle?

Lzen
02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Not sure why you are talking to me in a quote from The Bad Guy. heh

I'm not tight with my money. I'm frugal.:D

Buying that van new was a once in a lifetime thing for us. After what happened we will never do it again. I just wish my experience with the dealership that sold me this used van had been more up front with me. The last three days have been a complete pain in the ass with the issues that have cropped up already.

With all the work I have had to do to get them to see my point of view, I don't see myself giving them my business again in the future much less ever giving them a referral.

Oh, and I can afford satellite television. I just choose not to spend my money on it.:)

What is this all about? You decided on that van that had the ticking?

Lzen
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I highly recommend the Mercedes Benz ML 350. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Excellent warranty, you are given a Mercedes loaner when your car is getting routine maintenance (the only time my car has ever been in the shop). When your car needs service, they come pick it up and leave you a loaner. The MB holds good value. On the last warranty service schedule, they saw things that might need to be fixed 5-10K miles after the warranty would run out. They went ahead and made those fixes before the warranty went out. $50K is a lot to spend, but over the life of that car, it isn't much. It has a great ride and plenty of room. I also have a new C350. Now that car is awesome. Only drawback to MB's is the fact they have to use premium fuel. Not an issue lately with lower fuel prices.

Sheesh. Are all you guys freakin' loaded? Peeps recommending Lexus, Acura, Mercedes. :shake:

Lzen
02-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Is that coolant orange colored? Damn GM and their Dexcool crap. :cuss:

El Jefe
02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
:thumb:

Mopar Men. :D

Lzen
02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Website of general interest on this stuff, and also has some amusement value:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

Great site. I have used this advice from this site in the past.

El Jefe
02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Sheesh. Are all you guys freakin' loaded? Peeps recommending Lexus, Acura, Mercedes. :shake:

If I was shopping for a new car I would probably just settle and get an Aston martin :p. Lots of big money on the CP I guess.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2009, 10:08 AM

I think the car craze is a small part of the credit problem in this country. People think they need brand new cars every few years, that is why I nearly flipped my lid when Bad GUy was talking about replacing an 03 vehicle with 66k miles! However it sounds like it has been a POS but still, investing a couple thousand in a vehicle is still cheaper than buying a new one.

Car payments are unbelievable, I would never think of paying over 300 a month for a friggin car...that's just me though.

Lzen
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I think the car craze is a small part of the credit problem in this country. People think they need brand new cars every few years, that is why I nearly flipped my lid when Bad GUy was talking about replacing an 03 vehicle with 66k miles! However it sounds like it has been a POS but still, investing a couple thousand in a vehicle is still cheaper than buying a new one.

Car payments are unbelievable, I would never think of paying over 300 a month for a friggin car...that's just me though.

Depends on your own budget, I guess. You make a good point about the repair being cheaper than buying a new care. However, those little things can keep coming back. For example:

We had a 1998 Pontiac Transport that came with GM's 100k antifreeze, Dexcool. Well, that stuff is corrosive, apparently. I ended up spending close to 3 grand on repairs. Pressure flushed the Dexcool and had them put in the old green polypropyl stuff. It was fine for awhile(2-3 years) until coolant systems problems started popping up again last year. The shop we had look at it (Yinglings) told us that it could be a major repair (over 2k - don't remember what they said could be the problem). That's when we decided to just ditch the stupid thing. I didn't want to have to take on another car payment (had that thing paid off for awhile) but got sick and tired of the problems.

Chiefnj2
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't think you are going to find a huge price difference in the Japanese mid sized SUV market. If those are out of your price range you might want to look into the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know of someone who bought one recently and it was @ 8-9 grand less than a Pilot.

HC_Chief
02-04-2009, 10:41 AM

Lexus & Mercedes are typically expensive, but you get what you pay for. Acuras can be found for less than the former two and they rate just as well for reliability (even better -v- Mercedes in many cases).

You can get a used Acura MDX with fairly low miles (~40-60k) for around $15k, and the thing will last you as long as you want to keep driving it. ;)

We looked at Pilots and MDXs; ended up going with the latter because of the amenities and we liked the interior more. Plus they have better drive trains and engines. They come from the same company which is known for quality vehicles. So far we have been very pleased. It was worth every penny.

Lzen
02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Lexus & Mercedes are typically expensive, but you get what you pay for. Acuras can be found for less than the former two and they rate just as well for reliability (even better -v- Mercedes in many cases).

You can get a used Acura MDX with fairly low miles (~40-60k) for around $15k, and the thing will last you as long as you want to keep driving it. ;)

We looked at Pilots and MDXs; ended up going with the latter because of the amenities and we liked the interior more. Plus they have better drive trains and engines. They come from the same company which is known for quality vehicles. So far we have been very pleased. It was worth every penny.

Well that sounds like a great deal.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2009, 10:56 AM

Go with a toyota. It will have less festures but be much more reliable. I can't believe a 6 year old car needs to be replaced.

svuba
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM

I wouldn't say better, just different. the pilot engine and drive train is powerful and bulletproof.

The Main difference is the Pilot is better for carrying more cargo, and more people, and the MDX is sportier and more luxurious.

A good deal can be had for a used pilot or MDX that will be totally reliable for many many years.

King_Chief_Fan
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM

For me, I am in the twilight of my career. Family is raised, college expenses eliminated, both kids married.....no expenses left for the last several years. It's all about me and the Mrs. now.

svuba
02-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't think you are going to find a huge price difference in the Japanese mid sized SUV market. If those are out of your price range you might want to look into the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know of someone who bought one recently and it was @ 8-9 grand less than a Pilot.

The cherokee leather seats are amazing. My buddy has one that is about 5 years old.....the leather seats are super comfortable, and look like brand new.

Chiefnj2
02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't say better, just different. the pilot engine and drive train is powerful and bulletproof.

The Main difference is the Pilot is better for carrying more cargo, and more people, and the MDX is sportier and more luxurious.

A good deal can be had for a used pilot or MDX that will be totally reliable for many many years.

The Pilot has a deceptive amount of interior room

Lzen
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
For me, I am in the twilight of my career. Family is raised, college expenses eliminated, both kids married.....no expenses left for the last several years. It's all about me and the Mrs. now.

Ah. Well that makes sense. Just a guess, but I don't think Bad Guy is in that type of position. I know I'm not. Got another 15-20 years before I can think about retirement.

MagicHef
02-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't know how many on here maintain their own cars, but if you do, watch out for Hondas/Acuras. I had a 1990 Integra that needed its alternator replaced, which was something my dad and I had done on other cars (corolla, celica, caravan, outback, vanagon) many times with relative ease. We decided to get a shop to do the Integra, since the half shaft and some of the suspension need to be removed to access the alternator.

Bob Dole
02-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Bob Dole has been extremely pleased with his Mazda CX-7.

manchambo
02-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Why wouldn't you say that 30 more horsepower and one of the most sophisticated AWD systems available make for a "better" drivetrain?

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Beware of the brake issue with the ML350's. I had a 2005 ML350 Special Edition from 2004 to 2007 (they put the model out early). I put 18,500 miles on the vehicle during that time (I work from home) and had to have the brakes replaced twice at $650 a pop. That's the main reason I bought a Lexus RX350 this past year (well, that and the fact that the Lexus had a ton more feature than the Mercedes at the same price point).

Good luck!

svuba
02-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Why wouldn't you say that 30 more horsepower and one of the most sophisticated AWD systems available make for a "better" drivetrain?

Do you really need 300HP in an SUV?

I have Never felt I needed more power than what the pilot has in that vehicle therefore the engine is perfectly suited to the vehicle, and I don't think an extra 30HP would make the experience better.

Likewise for the SHAWD in the MDX..It is not consistent with the mission of the Pilot. It is more advanced, and is built for high speed cornering, but that is not why you buy a pilot.

Which brings us back to my original argument that they are two different vehicles for different purposes. I think the Pilot is more useful than the MDX it has WAY more cargo and seating room, and still handles like an accord. If you need a sports car, then you should buy one. The MDX is not extreme in that regard, but to me the sports-car wannabe SUV is dumb. Vehicles like the X5 or the Porsche Cayenne just don't make sense,.. get a caymen or an M5 if you want a sports car.

Guru
02-05-2009, 01:23 AM
What is this all about? You decided on that van that had the ticking?Actually, I ended up purchasing a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L with a rear entertainment system.

redsurfer11
02-05-2009, 04:29 AM

Have you tried internet pricing. Throw it out there within 159 miles of where you live. Almost all dealers will come back with a price. First off, tell them the make and model, and what you want to pay for it. I did it last year. A dealership about 70 miles away came back $2000.00 less than the dealers in my area. Did the deal over the phone, just drove up and signed. Also list all options you want.

Radar Chief
02-05-2009, 07:04 AM

“Need”? If you’re worried about “need” just go buy a minivan.

58-4ever
02-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Get a Subaru Tribeca! Subaru's rule!

Bi_polar
02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
The Pilot is nothing more than a minivan shaped like an SUV, go w/ the Armada.

Lzen
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Have you tried internet pricing. Throw it out there within 159 miles of where you live. Almost all dealers will come back with a price. First off, tell them the make and model, and what you want to pay for it. I did it last year. A dealership about 70 miles away came back $2000.00 less than the dealers in my area. Did the deal over the phone, just drove up and signed. Also list all options you want.

You just bought the vehicle without test driving it or looking it over real well? :shake::eek:

NewChief
02-05-2009, 09:06 AM

My friends just purchased one. I like it, but it feels small on the inside.

manchambo
02-05-2009, 09:43 AM

I have Never felt I needed more power than what the pilot has in that vehicle therefore the engine is perfectly suited to the vehicle, and I don't think an extra 30HP would make the experience better.

Likewise for the SHAWD in the MDX..It is not consistent with the mission of the Pilot. It is more advanced, and is built for high speed cornering, but that is not why you buy a pilot.

Which brings us back to my original argument that they are two different vehicles for different purposes. I think the Pilot is more useful than the MDX it has WAY more cargo and seating room, and still handles like an accord. If you need a sports car, then you should buy one. The MDX is not extreme in that regard, but to me the sports-car wannabe SUV is dumb. Vehicles like the X5 or the Porsche Cayenne just don't make sense,.. get a caymen or an M5 if you want a sports car.

I need 450 hp, actually, but I could only afford 300.

Fat Elvis
02-05-2009, 09:46 AM

Why not go with the Forrester?

NewChief
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Why not go with the Forrester?

Tribeca has fold-down 3rd row seating. Not sure about the Forrester.

Fat Elvis
02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Tribeca has fold-down 3rd row seating. Not sure about the Forrester.

Ah, jsut checked it out. I love Subarus as well....

ILWarpaint
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Why does evryone lump "American Cars" together? All of the "American Cars" problems mentioned on this thread have been GM and Chrysler vehicles. And Toyota and Nissan and Honda are the only way to go.......yadda, yadda, yadda. What about Ford? Now don't get your panties all in a bunch, I'm just curious.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS122847+28-May-2008+BW20080528

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FaJ9P2vXo

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2008/06/total-quality-survey-suggests-ford-vs-toyota-battle-for-1-spot.html

NewChief
02-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Why does evryone lump "American Cars" together? All of the "American Cars" problems mentioned on this thread have been GM and Chrysler vehicles. And Toyota and Nissan and Honda are the only way to go.......yadda, yadda, yadda. What about Ford? Now don't get your panties all in a bunch, I'm just curious.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2008/06/total-quality-survey-suggests-ford-vs-toyota-battle-for-1-spot.html

I know quite a few people with Escapes, and they've been solid.

HC_Chief
02-05-2009, 10:10 AM

Our MDX replaced an Explorer... had it for many years. Hell, we drove that thing 'til it died. It would have cost more to repair it than it was worth, so time to buy a new vehicle. I already had a TL and really liked it, so we looked at the MDX.... loved it. That said, if the Explorer had not "died", we would still be driving it. It was a very reliable vehicle.

Bi_polar
02-05-2009, 10:34 AM
whatever you do, stay AWAY from American-made, trust me, I know.

Lzen
02-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Well, I happen to still drive a 2003 Ford F150. I have been very happy with it.

The Bad Guy
02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Went to a dealership yesterday. They had a 2006 Honda Pilot with 31 thousand miles. It was loaded with navigation, leather seats.

They wanted 24,000. Went home, the book was 21 on it.

I told the guy there was no way I was spending over 19,000. He's called me once already today. I'm sure he will call again.

burt
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Went to a dealership yesterday. They had a 2006 Honda Pilot with 31 thousand miles. It was loaded with navigation, leather seats.

I told the guy there was no way I was spending over 19,000. He's called me once already today. I'm sure he will call again.

Check your PM's.

El Jefe
02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
whatever you do, stay AWAY from American-made, trust me, I know.

Oh gimme a break, I've only owned American Cars, and I've never had problems with any of them. I joined HemiEd in the Charger ranks with a 08 Charger. A lot of you guys act like Honda, Toyota, and the other Imports never have problems. We see a crap load of Honda Odysseys, Civics, and Accords with transmission problems under 100k, it was so bad on some years Honda upped the warranty to 100k miles. Yes there are some very nice imports and we have seen many that roll till the wheels fall off, but there are many people who have owned import lemons.

CoMoChief
02-05-2009, 11:50 AM
The newer Toyota 4 Runners are nice.

El Jefe
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Interesting. In our 27 years of transmission work Ford has been a major part of us staying open, even to this day. Ford's transmissions are terrible, Explorers, Windstars, Contours, Taurus, they all suck. Chrysler is on par with Ford for horrible transmissions, Sebrings, Town&Country, PT Cruiser, Chrysler is known for Solenoid assemblys needing replaced and cooler lines leaking. Chevy and GM is a lot better than either of those makes in our experience. We have started to see a ton of Honda's and Toyota's, and the transmissions can be ridiculous to fix. Just my .02

MagicHef
02-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Interesting. In our 27 years of transmission work Ford has been a major part of us staying open, even to this day. Ford's transmissions are terrible, Explorers, Windstars, Contours, Taurus, they all suck. Chrysler is on par with Ford for horrible transmissions, Sebrings, Town&Country, PT Cruiser, Chrysler is known for Solenoid assemblys needing replaced and cooler lines leaking. Chevy and GM is a lot better than either of those makes in our experience. We have started to see a ton of Honda's and Toyota's, and the transmissions can be ridiculous to fix. Just my .02

Ah, to drive a manual.

El Jefe
02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Ah, to drive a manual.

Indeed, as long as you know how to shift properly and aren't racing everyday LOL. We see many 2 Fast 2 Furious kids out there who burn up so many clutches, and after about the 3rd time daddy starts to get a little annoyed.

Brock
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
On a later model Ford truck, any reliability advantage to going with a manual?

MagicHef
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Indeed, as long as you know how to shift properly and aren't racing everyday LOL. We see many 2 Fast 2 Furious kids out there who burn up so many clutches, and after about the 3rd time daddy starts to get a little annoyed.

It's not really that hard to not drive like an idiot. Well, maybe for some, it is.

MagicHef
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM

Yes. It will last longer, and when the clutch does need replacing, it will be cheaper than any repair on an auto.

Frosty
02-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Can you still get a manual in a truck? Or are you talking about a Ranger?

Manuals will be more reliable, for the most part, and will give you better mileage because it is easier to hypermile in them. However, the towing capability almost always goes down because the manuals can't withstand the towing as well as an automatic.

Brock
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Manuals will be more reliable, for the most part, and will give you better mileage because it is easier to hypermile in them. However, the towing capability almost always goes down because the manuals can't withstand the towing as well as an automatic.

There's lots and lots of 6cyl manual F150s around here. It kind of fits what I'm looking for, just a basic pickup truck. I've about used up my 84 Chevy.

Frosty
02-05-2009, 12:27 PM
There's lots and lots of 6cyl manual F150s around here. It kind of fits what I'm looking for, just a basic pickup truck. I've about used up my 84 Chevy.

That's cool. I would have loved a manual in my Silverado but they aren't available with the 4WD or V8.

El Jefe
02-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Pretty much.

MagicHef
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM

I'd go manual. My '83 Celica needed a new clutch somewhere in the range of 300-350K miles. The odometer had long since broken, but that was the best guess we could come up with by extrapolating.

Radar Chief
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
That's cool. I would have loved a manual in my Silverado but they aren't available with the 4WD or V8.

Really? They aren't using the NV4500 anymore?

MagicHef
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Really? They aren't using the NV4500 anymore?

Looks like they stopped using it in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_4500_transmission

Radar Chief
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Manuals will be more reliable, for the most part, and will give you better mileage because it is easier to hypermile in them.

And because of something called parasitic horsepower loss.
A manual has less of that than an automatic.

Radar Chief
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Looks like they stopped using it in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_4500_transmission

Figures, Gear Crunchers are a dying breed, I guess.
The sissification of America continues. ;)

Guru
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM

I told the guy there was no way I was spending over 19,000. He's called me once already today. I'm sure he will call again.These are the deals that tick me off. I work my ass of to get them down 2k and you have a shot at 5k.

theorangelion
02-05-2009, 05:06 PM

I owned a Toyota 4-Runner that was loaded. Rode like a tank. Now my F-150 Super Cab hauls the same amount of people and rides like a Caddy. Tonneau cover over the bed with a liner holds all the luggage nice and dry.:thumb:

PastorMikH
02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
However, the towing capability almost always goes down because the manuals can't withstand the towing as well as an automatic.

I hate it when people ride the clutch. It's not a hill brake, it's not a speed adjuster, it's a clutch. Push it all the way in, shift, let it all the way out, then take your foot off the peddle and put it on the floorboard where it belongs.

The Bad Guy
02-05-2009, 07:57 PM
These are the deals that tick me off. I work my ass of to get them down 2k and you have a shot at 5k.

If the book is 21, and I'm willing to spend 19, that means I get them realistically down 2 grand. There is no way I'm going to be a sucker and spend over book value.

WilliamTheIrish
02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Hard to beat the Honda imo. I have a 91 Civic with 220k. I drive the snot out of it. Last summer I bought a 04 Honda Element that had 40k. I love that car. Looks kind of odd, but you can haul anything in it. 5* crash rating.

I think I was attracted to it because I used to own a 63 VW Bus. When I bought the Element I thought: "Does it come with a bag of weed?.

redsurfer11
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
You just bought the vehicle without test driving it or looking it over real well? :shake::eek:

I took it for a ride when I got there. I didn't beat the hell out of it. Like I did with the one's at the local dealers.

bevis369
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Buy a Toyota

Guru
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
If the book is 21, and I'm willing to spend 19, that means I get them realistically down 2 grand. There is no way I'm going to be a sucker and spend over book value.But if they are asking 24 there is no way they will go all the way to 19 irregardless of what the book says.

The Bad Guy
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
But if they are asking 24 there is no way they will go all the way to 19 irregardless of what the book says.

Do you realize how desperate car salesmen are? This car just came on their lot the other day. Of course they are going to advertise it over book value trying to find a moron who don't pay attention to these things.

Couple their desperate nature with the way SUV sales are, there is no doubt in my mind that by Monday, I will have a call saying they are willing to meet my price.

Frosty
02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
But if they are asking 24 there is no way they will go all the way to 19 irregardless of what the book says.

It all depends on what they have in it and what the market is. All you can do is ask. If they meet the price - great. If not - oh well. It's better to start too low and work up than too high and pay too much.

When I bought my truck, it had a sticker price of $33,000. I messed around with them for awhile and they would only go to $28K. My wife wasn't keen on that and said she would only go for $25K (made the payment $400/month). I figured there was no way but gave them that ultimatum. $25K or I walk. They bitched and complained but finally consented (I got it for $25,200).

Deals are there if you hold your ground.

aturnis
02-05-2009, 08:59 PM

What'd you get?

Also, why buy the years when American was junk? If you're going to buy American, it'd better be in just these last few years.

The Bad Guy
02-05-2009, 09:35 PM
If there are any Honda salesmen on the board, I'm trying to see what is the absolute lowest I should offer for a new 09. I know they are listed at 35, but I'd like to keep my loan amount around 23k with putting about 3k down.

I'm getting a much bigger income tax return than I imagined so I'm going to pay off the credit cards and be able to afford a bigger monthly payment than I imagined.

Frosty
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
If there are any Honda salesmen on the board, I'm trying to see what is the absolute lowest I should offer for a new 09. I know they are listed at 35, but I'd like to keep my loan amount around 23k with putting about 3k down.

I'm getting a much bigger income tax return than I imagined so I'm going to pay off the credit cards and be able to afford a bigger monthly payment than I imagined.

I have found the price listed on carsdirect.com to be pretty accurate. You can also go to the forums on edmunds.com and check the "Prices Paid" forums for some ideas (though take them with a grain of salt).

Lzen
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM

My F150 had a window sticker that said 20995. I got Briggs to come down to 17250. ;) It can be done. You just have to be will to say "piss off, I will find a better deal elsewhere".

Guru
02-09-2009, 10:55 PM
My F150 had a window sticker that said 20995. I got Briggs to come down to 17250. ;) It can be done. You just have to be will to say "piss off, I will find a better deal elsewhere".Oh I know it works. I used that on my Honda purchase a couple weeks ago. I was not going above 17k. I ended up getting it at 17k after a lot of walking off the lot. I even got them to spend more money after the sale because of a couple mistakes they made.

MahiMike
02-10-2009, 06:17 AM

That's the truck that finally shunned me away from American altogether. I've owned 10 different Ford trucks. But that one's engine blew when trying to haul my wife's car out of a ditch. Took it to Ford and walked over to Toyota dealer and bought a Tundra the same day. Still own it. Best motor/tranny I've ever had.

Lzen
02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
That's the truck that finally shunned me away from American altogether. I've owned 10 different Ford trucks. But that one's engine blew when trying to haul my wife's car out of a ditch. Took it to Ford and walked over to Toyota dealer and bought a Tundra the same day. Still own it. Best motor/tranny I've ever had.

I don't think 6 cylinder F150s were really designed for towing or pulling out of a ditch. Just a guess. ;)

Brock
02-10-2009, 08:58 AM

I just want a light duty pickup for hauling things around once in a while. I'm pretty sure I won't blow the motor, and I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on it.

vailpass
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
My Yukon Denali has been golden. I've had this one for almost 2 years. Nothing made in Japan can touch it.

El Jefe
02-10-2009, 09:40 AM
What'd you get?

Also, why buy the years when American was junk? If you're going to buy American, it'd better be in just these last few years.

BMW is what he bought IIRC.

ChiefButthurt
02-10-2009, 10:55 AM

2003 on the "outs"? Dead already?? Is it safe to say, no GM this time?

The Bad Guy
02-10-2009, 11:02 AM
2003 on the "outs"? Dead already?? Is it safe to say, no GM this time?

Absolutely no GM.

I'm pretty locked into getting a Honda Pilot. Just have to find one with the miles and features I like for my price.

ChiefButthurt
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Absolutely no GM.

I'm pretty locked into getting a Honda Pilot. Just have to find one with the miles and features I like for my price.

You'll like the Honda product. We've bought them for years and have had excellent luck and service. Two years ago, I got a bright idea to buy a Maxima. Nissan does not product the service or dealer support that Honda provides. Not even close. I like the Nissan just not the dealers or manufacturer customer service.

The Bad Guy
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I've changed my mind and am now looking at the Toyota Highlanders.

I think with the President's day deals, I might just even plunge and buy new - depending on the type of deal I can get.

JASONSAUTO
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I've changed my mind and am now looking at the Toyota Highlanders.

I think with the President's day deals, I might just even plunge and buy new - depending on the type of deal I can get.

they are nice rigs. you might check midmissouriautosports.com last i knew they had an 08 loaded with low miles

The Bad Guy
02-12-2009, 07:11 PM
they are nice rigs. you might check midmissouriautosports.com last i knew they had an 08 loaded with low miles

I'm located in VA so that would be a tough commute.

JASONSAUTO
02-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm located in VA so that would be a tough commute.

sorry they deliver though:D

Frosty
02-12-2009, 07:26 PM
We almost bought a Highlander a few years ago. They were very nice. One thing I didn't like about it, though, was if the third row seat was up, there was zero storage room. That is a problem with most mid-size SUV's though and not unique to the Toyota.

BTW, the RAV4 can be had with a third row, too, if that's an issue.

The Bad Guy
02-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Does anyone know of any Toyota incentives this weekend?

HMc
02-13-2009, 07:36 AM
My Yukon Denali has been golden. I've had this one for almost 2 years. Nothing made in Japan can touch it.

I hope it's the GMT900, and not the 800, because f*ck me i rode in an 03 escalade the other day and was blown away by how shitty the interior fitout was in what is supposed to be a premium vehicle. Why is it only recently that the big 3 could design (and install) a semi modern interior? I had a modern functional interior in my 92 toyota cressida (not to mention 142kw from a 3 litre straight six).

I havent been in a GMT900 SUV but id be willing to bet that they arent anywhere near as good as the lexus lx570.

burt
02-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I hope it's the GMT900, and not the 800, because f*ck me i rode in an 03 escalade the other day and was blown away by how shitty the interior fitout was in what is supposed to be a premium vehicle. Why is it only recently that the big 3 could design (and install) a semi modern interior? I had a modern functional interior in my 92 toyota cressida (not to mention 142kw from a 3 litre straight six).

I havent been in a GMT900 SUV but id be willing to bet that they arent anywhere near as good as the lexus lx570.

The Cressida was a great vehicle....most reliable car on the road for over 10 years.

The Bad Guy
02-14-2009, 06:46 PM
My search is over. I purchased a brand new Toyota Highlander Sport today.

Thanks for everyone's help.

DeezNutz
02-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Cool.

Enjoy the new whip (keepin it gangsta).

Gracie Dean
02-14-2009, 06:56 PM
we are looking at the Niessan Xterra for our next purchase. currently we have a Jeep Liberty Renegade 4x4 and love it, but it is a 2005 and we don't like the look of the new Jeeps

The Bad Guy
02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Now all I have to do is find a Sirius Direct Connect box and kit to switch it over from XM to Sirius. The moron at Best Buy said they didn't make them.

Manila-Chief
02-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Not asking for specifics, but what kind of deal did you get? Did you look at the Costco deal? I'm wondering how the Costco deal compares to Toyota incentives?

We've looked at the Highlander Limited and the Buick Enclave. It looks to me like the Highlander is about $10K cheaper. We like the reliability issue of the Toyota.

Got an opinion question ... heard someone say, the Highlander looks "gay?" Just wondering if that was a smart-aleck comment or if he was serious??? If it is, guess, I've been out of the country too long.

The Bad Guy
02-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Not asking for specifics, but what kind of deal did you get? Did you look at the Costco deal? I'm wondering how the Costco deal compares to Toyota incentives?

We've looked at the Highlander Limited and the Buick Enclave. It looks to me like the Highlander is about $10K cheaper. We like the reliability issue of the Toyota.

Got an opinion question ... heard someone say, the Highlander looks "gay?" Just wondering if that was a smart-aleck comment or if he was serious??? If it is, guess, I've been out of the country too long.

The MSRP was 37 on the Toyota Sport I purchased. I got it for 32,500 using the Costco membership. Added the extended warranty for 7 years 100k bumper-to-bumper, and the car has some great features. Ended up financing more than I wanted, but I got my payments to 400, which was my goal.

I haggled big time on the price. They kept trying to sell it to me for 35, getting them down to 32,5 was tough, but worth it.

I think it's a real nice looking car. I like the design 100x better than the Pilot. It rides like a gem.

There aren't many incentives on 09s right now, so I would try the Costco financing.

Manila-Chief
02-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks! That helps. I'm been on the Costco site but not yet put in our membership number. I believe they were going from 39k down to 34K on the limited ... which I thought was pretty good. Since we drove mission vehicles all those years, we have not bought a new car in over 3 decades. I kinda choke on paying a 1/3 of a house for a car. But, I guess considering how much salaries have increased, it might not be quite as bad as it seems. We are kinda waiting for a couple of things to fall into place before we get too serious.

The Bad Guy
02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks! That helps. I'm been on the Costco site but not yet put in our membership number. I believe they were going from 39k down to 34K on the limited ... which I thought was pretty good. Since we drove mission vehicles all those years, we have not bought a new car in over 3 decades. I kinda choke on paying a 1/3 of a house for a car. But, I guess considering how much salaries have increased, it might not be quite as bad as it seems. We are kinda waiting for a couple of things to fall into place before we get too serious.

I would be careful though of the Costco pricing. It's not a stone cold lock you will get offered that price. There is a disclaimer that says this is done through a 3rd party and all prices may not be accurate.

I didn't want to spend this much, but to get a quality vehicle that I will likely have for the next 10+ years where I only doubled my car payments from my previous car, made me very happy.

HMc
02-14-2009, 11:39 PM

Nice one :thumb:

I havent heard anything but praise for the highlander (actually its called the kluger in oz) and i reckon they look the part aswell.

You will have a better ownership experience than if you bought american, that thing will go for ever (seriously) if you're half diligent with the maintenance. We've got a 92 landcruiser sitting here with 400k on the clock that i refuse to get rid off because it's so damn reliable, all it's had done is the timing belt every 100k.

KChiefsQT
02-15-2009, 12:02 AM
4-Runner

OnTheWarpath58
02-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Congrats, Frank.

You'll be very happy with your decision.

My wife's 2003 Limited has 135,000 miles on it and we've yet to do any major work to it, just routine maintenance.

*knocks on wood*

burt
02-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I am sure he will be happy with his Toyota, but I still say that you can purchase American and still get quality. My Wrangler has 161k and I am constantly amazed at how reliable it is.

Frosty
02-16-2009, 11:00 AM
The MSRP was 37 on the Toyota Sport I purchased. I got it for 32,500 using the Costco membership. Added the extended warranty for 7 years 100k bumper-to-bumper, and the car has some great features. Ended up financing more than I wanted, but I got my payments to 400, which was my goal.

I haggled big time on the price. They kept trying to sell it to me for 35, getting them down to 32,5 was tough, but worth it.

I think it's a real nice looking car. I like the design 100x better than the Pilot. It rides like a gem.

There aren't many incentives on 09s right now, so I would try the Costco financing.

What did you do with your Envoy?

The Bad Guy
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
What did you do with your Envoy?

Traded it in.

Got 8 grand on the trade. Since the radiator was leaking, and there were some dings on the body, no way was I getting that in a private sale.

Frosty
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
the trade in for the Envoy is $8000.

Traded it in.

Got 8 grand on the trade. Since the radiator was leaking, and there were some dings on the body, no way was I getting that in a private sale.

Some of us are good. :D

MagicHef
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Good choice. After the Toyotas I've owned (Celica, Corona, Corolla, MR2), I will definitely be looking at Toyotas before anything else when I'm looking to buy again.

ChiTown
02-16-2009, 12:25 PM
We own a Toyota Sequoia and love it. It's a great car, and have never had any problems at all.

El Jefe
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Nice one :thumb:

I havent heard anything but praise for the highlander (actually its called the kluger in oz) and i reckon they look the part aswell.

You will have a better ownership experience than if you bought american, that thing will go for ever (seriously) if you're half diligent with the maintenance. We've got a 92 landcruiser sitting here with 400k on the clock that i refuse to get rid off because it's so damn reliable, all it's had done is the timing belt every 100k.

Good ay mate, how bout we throw another shrimp on the barby.

Inspector
02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
I have a 98 4 runner. 52k miles on it. Great vehicle.

Plus I don't worry about snow anymore.

I've always had very good luck with Toyota's. Seem to be very good quality.