PDA

View Full Version : Football Pro Bowl... needs to go back to the way it was in 1939

pr_capone
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
World Champions against the best the league has to offer regardless of conference.

And none of this MVP bullshit. We don't need a fucking MVP for what amounts to an exhibition game.

In the 5 years they played in this format, the Championship team actually beat the All-Star teams 4 out of 5 times.

A change back to this format would actually make me want to watch the game.

Would you prefer this format or do you prefer what is currently in place?

beach tribe
02-03-2009, 11:25 PM
1939. That would be awesome, and would give the PB the recognition the league is looking for. Good call my man.

blueballs
maybe if they actually go bowling peps will tune in

Extra Point
Old school sounds good to me.

Jenson71
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
And no helmets either.

pr_capone
02-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I am curious as to why some people prefer the current format.

Guru
02-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Either way, the pro bowl doesn't mean anything. The whole goal of the PB is to get out uninjured and not play very long.

The 1939 format, while it would be entertaining for the fans, would not be a fair format for the championship team in that todays players are better conditioned and the opposing all-star team would be loaded at every position while the championship team only has its starters and then their scrubs.

pr_capone
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Either way, the pro bowl doesn't mean anything. The whole goal of the PB is to get out uninjured and not play very long.

The 1939 format, while it would be entertaining for the fans, would not be a fair format for the championship team in that todays players are better conditioned and the opposing all-star team would be loaded at every position while the championship team only has its starters and then their scrubs.

I understand that.

I thought about that but I think that the fact that the Championship team has played as a unit all season would even, if not outweigh, the fact that the other side is loaded with individual talent.

Both sides have the same conditioning opportunities so I would think that the conditioning aspect would be nullified... no?

Also, I think it would be a huge motivating factor for the Champions to play their hearts out just for the bragging rights and being able to say that they beat the best players in the league.

Guru
02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I understand that.

I thought about that but I think that the fact that the Championship team has played as a unit all season would even, if not outweigh, the fact that the other side is loaded with individual talent.

Both sides have the same conditioning opportunities so I would think that the conditioning aspect would be nullified... no?

Also, I think it would be a huge motivating factor for the Champions to play their hearts out just for the bragging rights and being able to say that they beat the best players in the league.

I would disagree with the bolded portion. The championship game just grueled through the playoffs and superbowl. Quite a bit of the all star team will have had quite a bit of time off as a whole. Also, the championship team will not want to risk injury to their star players just because they don't have the depth that the all-star team does.

Like I said, from a fans standpoint it sounds great. From a players standpoint, they would want nothing to do with this.

Crush
02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
The old school scenario would kick ass.

splatbass
02-03-2009, 11:59 PM
The problem with the 1939 format is that the championship team is used to playing together, the QB and the receivers have that connection that only comes from time together, and they play as a team. The all-star team may have all great players, but they aren't a team, they are a bunch of great players thrown together with little time for practice.

Living in Hawaii I see how things go Pro Bowl week. Each team only has one practice together, and they don't even take that very seriously. The Championship team would have a huge advantage, probably why they won 4 out of 5 when they used this format.

On another note, almost on topic, this is possibly the last year the Pro Bowl is played in Hawaii. Next year they are doing a test, having the Pro Bowl the week before the SB, in the same city (Miami). They have wanted to try this for a while to make a whole week of events leading up to the SB. I think it is a really stupid idea. For one thing a week before the SB none of the players on the SB teams will play. For another, what happens when they play in a cold weather city? Do you think many will show up? Two years from now it will be in Dallas. Do you think players would rather go to Dallas, or spend the first week of February in Honolulu?

The local news interviewed several players tonight, including Ray Lewis, and they were all unhappy about it. Lewis said a lot of players wouldn't go.

Kyle DeLexus
02-04-2009, 12:02 AM
I would disagree with the bolded portion. The championship game just grueled through the playoffs and superbowl. Quite a bit of the all star team will have had quite a bit of time off as a whole. Also, the championship team will not want to risk injury to their star players just because they don't have the depth that the all-star team does.

Like I said, from a fans standpoint it sounds great. From a players standpoint, they would want nothing to do with this.

Players love their $, so to make this work the league could incorporate a nice Pro Bowl bonus to the winning team. It would make both teams play harder and might actually encourage allstars to want to participate.

beach tribe
02-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I understand that.

Yep. It would be a battle of Team VS Talent. Chemistry is HUGE.

beach tribe
02-04-2009, 12:05 AM
The problem with the 1939 format is that the championship team is used to playing together, the QB and the receivers have that connection that only comes from time together, and they play as a team. The all-star team may have all great players, but they aren't a team, they are a bunch of great players thrown together with little time for practice.

Living in Hawaii I see how things go Pro Bowl week. Each team only has one practice together, and they don't even take that very seriously. The Championship team would have a huge advantage, probably why they won 4 out of 5 when they used this format.

On another note, almost on topic, this is possibly the last year the Pro Bowl is played in Hawaii. Next year they are doing a test, having the Pro Bowl the week before the SB, in the same city (Miami). They have wanted to try this for a while to make a whole week of events leading up to the SB. I think it is a really stupid idea. For one thing a week before the SB none of the players on the SB teams will play. For another, what happens when they play in a cold weather city? Do you think many will show up? Two years from now it will be in Dallas. Do you think players would rather go to Dallas, or spend the first week of February in Honolulu?

The local news interviewed several players tonight, including Ray Lewis, and they were all unhappy about it. Lewis said a lot of players wouldn't go.

The SB isn't played in Cold weather Stadiums anymore after it was played in detroit the last time IIRC.

Guru
02-04-2009, 12:07 AM
The SB isn't played in Cold weather Stadiums anymore after it was played in detroit the last time IIRC.They were going to guarantee a SB in KC if the roof passed. Seems to me they still plan to go to cold weather cities every now and then.

pr_capone
02-04-2009, 12:11 AM
What if the Pro Bowl were moved to 3 weeks after the Super Bowl (one week prior to the Free Agency Period) to give the Championship team a chance to catch its breath and the all-star team a chance to get a semblance of cohesiveness?

Of course, as MWagg72 suggested, the winning teams gets a healthy bonus and bragging rights.

Honestly... I think this would go over HUGE.

Shit... from a league standpoint, play that game all over the world each year and spread the influence of American Football across the globe.

More cash for players, bragging rights, and 10x the exposure for the NFL = BANK.

Guru
02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
What if the Pro Bowl were moved to 3 weeks after the Super Bowl (one week prior to the Free Agency Period) to give the Championship team a chance to catch its breath and the all-star team a chance to get a semblance of cohesiveness?

Of course, as MWagg72 suggested, the winning teams gets a healthy bonus and bragging rights.

Shit... from a league standpoint, play that game all over the world each year and spread the influence of American Football across the globe.

More cash for players, bragging rights, and 10x the exposure for the NFL = BANK.So you don't think the NFL is getting enough money as it is? :spock:

pr_capone
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
So you don't think the NFL is getting enough money as it is? :spock:

If you were running a business... would there be any such thing as getting enough money?

And for a change, they would not be fucking over the average fan to get it.

T-post Tom
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Great idea. But I'd prefer the All-Stars vs. a team of tiny Ditkas.

Ebolapox
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
eh, I could care less either way.

Phobia
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
The contention that money has ruined the NFL is debatable.

The fact that money has ruined the pro-bowl is undeniable. When there's a couple billion dollars worth of human flesh running around on the field in Hawaii the NFL is going to protect their investment especially after Robert Edwards type accidents. Even if they go back to a 1939 format an all-star contest will never be worthy of any great effort on either the part of fans nor participants.

unothadeal
02-04-2009, 12:19 AM
All-Stars vs. The Raiders

The laughs would just keep on coming

beach tribe
02-04-2009, 12:22 AM

More cash for players, bragging rights, and 10x the exposure for the NFL = BANK.
Very good idea. They should be doing THIS instead of taking home games away from teams during the season. Man, this is a RE$ALLY good idea. This way the other countries would get to see the best players. Instead of crappy teams the league picks because they don't want to mess with the teams they hink are going deep in the POs.

dj56dt58
02-04-2009, 01:43 AM
it would be the scrubs from both sides after 5 minutes anyway

Rausch
02-04-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't want a game.

I want the players and coaches ONLY to vote for Al-pro/Probowl players.

No game, it's a fucking honor and recognition of true accomplishment.

In a game players should play. If there is an NFL game and no one gets hurt it's NOT a fucking game. The point is to hurt. The point is to impose your will and display your complete dominance over another human being to the point he calls "No mas."

THAT is football.

Honor the men who've earned the right to be recognized but don't ask them to play some bull$#it pretty pony game...

Reerun_KC
02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
The pro bowl is a joke, who even watches that crap... Why dont the just get rid of it and save us the misery of even talking about it...

I think I watched my last probowl in 1992...

Amnorix
02-04-2009, 07:16 AM

I'm honestly not sure that this would work out as you expect. It certainly would in any other sport, but in football, I think the Championship team has a decided advantage in having played/practiced all year together, while the All-Stars will have only a few days to get to know each other.

morphius
02-04-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm honestly not sure that this would work out as you expect. It certainly would in any other sport, but in football, I think the Championship team has a decided advantage in having played/practiced all year together, while the All-Stars will have only a few days to get to know each other.
That was my thought as well, which would you rather have, a SB winning OL or an all pro OL that has only had a few days to get in sync?

Duck Dog
02-04-2009, 07:32 AM
It didn't surprise me to read that 4 of 5 games were won by the Championship team. But it sounds a lot more interesting than the current PB format.

SenselessChiefsFan
02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
World Champions against the best the league has to offer regardless of conference.

And none of this MVP bullshit. We don't need a ****ing MVP for what amounts to an exhibition game.

In the 5 years they played in this format, the Championship team actually beat the All-Star teams 4 out of 5 times.

A change back to this format would actually make me want to watch the game.

The championship team would have an even more impressive winning percentage in today's NFL.

Take a team that has practiced and played together for 19 or 20 games and put them up against a group of guys that have worked together for one week.

Not very compelling.

As Pioli says, it isn't about the 'best' players, it is about the 'right' players.

RedThat
02-04-2009, 09:34 AM
That would be a nice change and interesting to watch. I didn't know they actually had the probowl like that back in the 30's? Thanks for passing that along:)

Pestilence
02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Just get rid of it entirely......no one wants to go to the damn thing anyways.

I would make it the Rookie Bowl. Take teams entirely made up of rookies and have them play each other.

RedThat
02-04-2009, 09:48 AM

I would make it the Rookie Bowl. Take teams entirely made up of rookies and have them play each other.

Lets be realistic here, no sports league would get rid of an all-star game considering the amount of publicity, entertainment, revenue those games generate.

What I think needs to be done is re-structure the whole damn thing. Instead of placing the probowl after the season, do it like any other sport, place it halfway during the season that way EVERY team gets a bye. Make like a 2 week gap same thing they do for the SB. That way the players that play in the probowl get to rest. And the coaches that go to the probowl still have an extra week to prepare for their next game during the season.

Add another week off so that We don't have to go through this BS where 1 team gets a week off this week, another team gets a bye another week, etc. It would makes things a heck of a lot easier imo.

It certainly would keep the fans more in tune to see it halfway during the season imo? Big difference then doing it after the season because no one cares? It's like blah the season is over who cares about the probowl.

*I think having a 2 week gap for a SB is stupid. Oh yeah they need that extra week for media week nonsense.

Dave Lane
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Exactly

JuicesFlowing
02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd only watch if Gaz played.

bowener
02-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Every time I play Madden 09 that bit of trivia pops up (Champs played the All-stars). I think it would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch, plus it gives the Super Bowl Champs more recognition, which is deserved. It would also draw a large audience from at least the SB winning team.

EyePod
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I would love this but it would never happen. Players are too big of an investment/liability.

splatbass
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM

I've been to it many times (it helps that I live in Hawaii). It has sold out every year for more than 20 years. Clearly there are people that want to go to it.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
And no helmets either.

Don't make me dump water all over you.

KCCHIEFS27
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Ha, I can't believe so many people voted for the 1939 style. Theoretically would it be fun to watch? Sure. But do you think the intensity would change? No. So why not just select the best players and recognize them? Some people make no sense. Including myself for the most part. People may counter with: "We could pay the winner", but you would have to pay each player probably at least a million for them to agree to give it there all, otherwise it just isn't worth it to them. Few players would play for the less, but it'd have to be a union agreement and that would never fly.

pr_capone
02-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Ha, I can't believe so many people voted for the 1939 style. Theoretically would it be fun to watch? Sure. But do you think the intensity would change? No. So why not just select the best players and recognize them? Some people make no sense. Including myself for the most part. People may counter with: "We could pay the winner", but you would have to pay each player probably at least a million for them to agree to give it there all, otherwise it just isn't worth it to them. Few players would play for the less, but it'd have to be a union agreement and that would never fly.

I did not realize that the original post asked for in-depth extrapolations about the possibilities and logistics of making a game like this actually happen.

I could have sworn that my original post simply said...

Check it... what would you PREFER.

Guru
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I did not realize that the original post asked for in-depth extrapolations about the possibilities and logistics of making a game like this actually happen.

I could have sworn that my original post simply said...

Check it... what would you PREFER.Thats beside the point man. We like to break it all down.:thumb:

KCCHIEFS27
02-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes, you asked if I preferred the 1939 format to the current format. I still don't see what difference it makes. Do you think the players would care more if it was the 1939 format? Maybe it's too late for me and I am confused with the question. Maybe they should just replay radio broadcasts of the 5 years they played with the Champ. team versus the All-Stars and you might be happy? Otherwise, I don't know what you mean.

Ultra Peanut
02-05-2009, 05:30 AM
In the 5 years they played in this format, the Championship team actually beat the All-Star teams 4 out of 5 times.Duh?

Blindside58
02-05-2009, 06:29 AM
I would prefer an event challenge rather than the pro bowl. NFL Fastest man, longest throw, accurate throw, RB obstacle course. These things are always in the summer when athletes are out of shape. it would be great if they were in regular season form.