PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Tiger Woods is getting closer to making a return

Sam Hall
02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Woods practicing 'full-bore'

By Bob Harig
ESPN.com
Archive

Although he did not say exactly when he will return to the PGA Tour, Tiger Woods said Tuesday in a newsletter posted on his Web site that his practice is "full-bore" and that while he awaits the birth of a second child he is also "excited about returning to competition."

Woods, still the No. 1-ranked golfer in the world, has not played since June 16 when he defeated Rocco Mediate in a U.S. Open playoff at Torrey Pines in San Diego -- his 14th major championship and 65th PGA Tour title.

At the same venue this week, he is missing the Buick Invitational -- a tournament he won the past four years and six times overall.

Surgery to replace the ACL in his left knee kept Woods, 33, from even swinging a golf club until December. Last month, he began hitting full shots and went back to work with his instructor Hank Haney with the hope of returning before The Masters in April.

"I'm full-bore with my practice sessions and have no restrictions," Woods posted on his Web site, tigerwoods.com. "It's just a matter of getting my golf endurance up. I don't have my golf stamina back yet."

Woods and his wife, Elin, are expecting their second child, "which is due pretty soon," he said. "That takes precedent over anything I do golf-wise."

"Elin, Sam and I are very excited for the new baby to arrive, although that's when the real lack of sleep begins," he said. "But I must admit, I am also excited about returning to competition. Early on, I didn't miss golf because I enjoyed staying home with Elin and Sam and I knew I wasn't physically able to play. The truth is, I would have embarrassed myself. Now, I'm getting my feel and practice back. It's just a matter of playing more on the course."

Woods also talked about meeting President Obama when he spoke at inauguration festivities on Jan. 18, looking forward to teeing it up on tour with old friends Notah Begay and Chris Riley, both of whom regained their PGA Tour cards, and regretting being unable to compete this week at Torrey Pines.

"I'm working hard to get myself back into tournament shape and will return as soon as I'm ready," Woods said.

When that is remains unknown, but Haney said during a recent interview that he expects that Woods will not return until he feels he is ready to win.

"He left having won 10 of his last 13 with two seconds and a fifth, so he isn't looking just to participate," Haney said. "I have spent quite a bit of time in Orlando in the last few months and Tiger is working really hard, just like he always does."

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3882585

Donger
02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Excellent. My son was asking about this the other day.

Sam Hall
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I love golf, and nobody else can pull off the magic he does. It hasn't been the same without him.

Mr. Plow
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Sweet.

Sam Hall
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
The Masters should have some serious hype, and it won't drive me crazy at all.

Chiefnj2
02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
He needs the money so he can start tipping people.

Ecto-I
02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I never watch golf unless Tiger is playing, and probably wouldn't have started to play if not for him either. Will be good to see him back.

bogey
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
The Masters should have some serious hype, and it won't drive me crazy at all.

It will be fun. I can't imagine being at a level that your first tournament you return to after an injury is the masters and expecting to win.

Dartgod
02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Early on, I didn't miss golf because I enjoyed staying home with Elin and Sam and I knew I wasn't physically able to play. The truth is, I would have embarrassed myself. Tiger embarrassing himself = Kicking any golfer on ChiefPlanet's ass, anytime, anywhere.

Mr. Plow
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Tiger embarrassing himself = Kicking any golfer on ChiefPlanet's ass, anytime, anywhere.

Tiger's version of embarrassing himself at golf is shooting 4 under.

beavis
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I want to hate the guy so much, but I just can't do it. He's the man.

Sam Hall
02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I want to hate the guy so much, but I just can't do it. He's the man.

I tried to watch today, but it was too boring without Tiger.