PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Kansas high school coach told to stop hypnotizing team

Sam Hall
02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Kansas high school coach told to stop hypnotizing team

BY BECCY TANNER
The Wichita Eagle

After the St. John High School boys team had won the state basketball championship two years ago and was runner-up last year, the team went just 7-6 through last week.

So the coach tried something different: hypnotism.

Most team members underwent two 45-minute sessions last week to increase their concentration and focus. It's not clear what happened during the sessions; the therapist who led them wouldn't say, and the coach did not return phone calls.

Monday night, the school board voted to stop the sessions.

"It won't be going on any more at school," said superintendent James Kenworthy. "If parents want their child to do that, they can contact the licensed therapist on their own."

Hypnotizing students perhaps sends the wrong message to students and surrounding schools, said Kenworthy, who has requested a transcript of the sessions.

"At the high school level, it's not appropriate. We are trying to get kids to understand who they are and what they are. It may give kids a mixed message if you can't do it on your own."

Winning basketball teams are a tradition in St. John, a town of 1,200 about 90 miles northwest of Wichita.

Kenworthy said the hypnotism of the Class 1A team has been the talk of the town.

Coach Clint Kinnamon had sought the help of Carl Feril, a Church of Christ minister who is also a clinical family and marriage therapist.

Feril would not discuss what happened during the team's sessions, saying his was a privileged therapist/client relationship.

"Any client I work with, particularly a minor, would always have a written parental consent," Feril said. "I cannot confirm or deny I work with those people."

He did say he has worked for 20 years with people suffering from anxiety disorders and depression.

Players' parents received letters last week asking them to sign permission slips for their sons to participate in the hypnosis.

School board member and parent Mitch Minnis gave his permission.

"My son says, 'Dad, it's pretty cool. It's hypnotism!' We saw it as more of helping the kids with focus and concentration," he said. "Ninety-nine percent of the boys bought into it."

Minnis said the letter said that the hypnosis wasn't mandatory, so he wasn't concerned.

"If they were blindfolding kids and making them walk off the south pier of town, I might be concerned," Minnis said. "But I think this is a novel approach and it might even help them do good in school work if they know what buttons to push to concentrate."

At least one parent had concerns.

"We just asked our son not to participate and we didn't sign the paper," said Merlin Spare, a St. John school board member and parent. He is also track and cross country coach in nearby Stafford.

"I am a coach myself and I try to teach kids to be visionary and believe in what they are doing," Spare said. "I think a person who is solid on their feet doesn't have to do this. I think it is something a person could rely on and become hooked to."

The Kansas State High School Activities Association has strict rules about what players can and cannot do. But hypnosis isn't mentioned in the rules.

"We have rules... about performance-enhancing substances -- the clause of anabolic steroids... issues with drugs, alcohol and tobacco. I guess we have not encountered the question. It's just never come up," said Gary Musselman, executive director of the Kansas State High School Activities Association Musselman.

Scott Ward, a sports psychologist with the University of Kansas, said hypnosis is not believed to be that effective in sports.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1016763.html

Sam Hall
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I expected a few one-liners by now...

JuicesFlowing
02-04-2009, 11:59 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KHDG0HwPDw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KHDG0HwPDw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

EyePod
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM

I bet he hypnotized them with his dangling penis.... you're getting very sleepy.... and you want a lollipop.....

Lzen
02-04-2009, 12:06 PM

If you can't beat them, hypnotize them?

Eh, it's the best I could come up with on such short notice.

EyePod
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
If you can't beat them, hypnotize them?

Eh, it's the best I could come up with on such short notice.

I think mine's a lot better.

Lzen
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I think mine's a lot better.

Agreed.

EyePod
02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Agreed.

At least you tried though!! Maybe this coach can hypnotize you with his penis to make you better at one-liners.... :p

Lzen
02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
At least you tried though!! Maybe this coach can hypnotize you with his penis to make you better at one-liners.... :p

I'll pass. :shake:

88TG88
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM

LMAO

bowener
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Good thing they didnt think of this when they were pushing for Creationism...

EyePod
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Good thing they didnt think of this when they were pushing for Creationism...

The church does enough hypnotizing. Anyone else feel like they're in a cult when they go to a Catholic mass?

PRIEST: GIVE PRAISE TO YOUR LORD JESUS CHRIST!
SHEEP: It is right to give thanks and praise!

Also, I'd be pissed that I was referred to as a sheep all the time. Jesus wasn't a follower. He was a radical. And a lot of good came from him being on the non-following side. The moral I learn from that story is to not blindly follow.

DaFace
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I guess I don't get what the fuss is all about. Group hypnotherapy is nothing but a relaxation exercise.

blaise
02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
It won't work so well when the ref blows a whistle and they all start thinking they're chickens.

Jenson71
We had a visualization coach come in and give us a mental exercise one day a week for football for my last two years in high school. You laid on your back in the locker room, shut your eyes, and listened to this guy who would talk about how we "visualize ourselves on the top of a staircase. You take the first step down. You feel the step against your foot. You feel calm." And on down the steps til we reached the last, and then we were calm, and he would go on talking about visualizing us making great plays and winning the game, playing our best, etc.

Not many took it really seriously. I know I didn't. The worst was when someone would start snoring really loud. Then I felt pretty bad for the visualization guy.

Jenson71
It won't work so well when the ref blows a whistle and they all start thinking they're chickens.

LMAO

blaise
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Mark Mangino has his players hypnotized, then he steals their lunch.

EyePod
02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
We had a visualization coach come in and give us a mental exercise one day a week for football for my last two years in high school. You laid on your back in the locker room, shut your eyes, and listened to this guy who would talk about how we "visualize ourselves on the top of a staircase. You take the first step down. You feel the step against your foot. You feel calm." And on down the steps til we reached the last, and then we were calm, and he would go on talking about visualizing us making great plays and winning the game, playing our best, etc.

Not many took it really seriously. I know I didn't. The worst was when someone would start snoring really loud. Then I felt pretty bad for the visualization guy.

I wouldn't. He still got paid. I'm surprised he didn't use the dangling penis hypnotizing method BTW.