PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gonzalez: I'm willing to stick with Chiefs...

DaWolf
02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Gonzalez: I'm willing to stick with Chiefs (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9180456/Gonzalez:-I'm-willing-to-stick-with-Chiefs)

KAPOLEI, Hawaii - The headline reads "Gonzalez still wants to be traded."

There's only one problem: Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez says it isn't true.

In an exclusive interview with FOXSports.com, Gonzalez said that a Yahoo.com story published Wednesday morning misrepresented his stance toward the organization. Gonzalez said he is amenable to returning for a 13th NFL season in Kansas City and won't know whether he will ask for a trade until seeing what personnel and coaching moves the franchise makes this offseason.

Such a decision won't come for some time.

"I want to make sure people know I have not asked for a trade," Gonzalez said Wednesday morning before the AFC's Pro Bowl practice. "I haven't even talked to (new Chiefs general manager Scott) Pioli yet. I said there are reasons I would ask for a trade, but depending on the coach they bring in and the free-agent acquisitions, I could easily be a Chief next year, too. In fact, that's the direction I want to go."

Gonzalez was particularly irked at the attention his "trade demand" received as it aired on an ESPN television crawl for his Pro Bowl peers and coaches to see, not to mention unsuspecting members of the Chiefs organization on the mainland. Gonzalez said he isn't as down on the franchise as he believes the story made him out to be.

"It's always been important to me to approach this game with class and do the right thing," Gonzalez said. "I have been so fortunate to be with the Chiefs. They've always taken good care of me. I have no complaints and I love the city, but who knows what's going to happen."

Gonzalez hopes to know more by week's end, which is when he expects Kansas City to name a head coach. Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley is believed the leading candidate.

Gonzalez also is curious to see how Pioli revamps the Chiefs roster after spending the past nine seasons with New England. A key front-office member on three Super Bowl-winning teams, Pioli is projected to have at least $30 million in salary cap space available entering free agency in late February. The Patriots, though, usually shied away from big-money signings.

"I had a chance to talk with some guys who played in New England," Gonzalez said. "They all said he knows how to do great things. He knows how to pick talent. That definitely was the best decision that (Chiefs owner) Clark (Hunt) made bringing someone like that in there that can turn this organization around. I have no doubt he's going to do it."

Gonzalez, though, admits he doesn't know whether he will still be playing by the time Kansas City is ready to contend for a Super Bowl title. The Chiefs finished 2-14 in 2008 their second consecutive season with double-digit losses and failed to reach the playoffs for the ninth time in Gonzalez's 12 NFL seasons.

Gonzalez, who turns 33 later this month, is under contract through 2011. While committed to playing in 2009, Gonzalez said he is taking a season-by-season approach toward retirement.

One of Gonzalez's most prominent teammates went public Tuesday expressing his desire to leave the Chiefs. Running back Larry Johnson told a Kansas City radio station that "it's time for us to break ties. They can go on and find what they want. I can try to go on and rebuild my career and find what I want. I'd rather just play somewhere else. I don't belong on this rebuilding team ... I'm not getting any younger and this team is getting a lot younger."

The losing has taken its toll on Gonzalez, who says he became emotional while watching the long-suffering Arizona Cardinals play in Super Bowl XLIII. Gonzalez said he could relate to the plight of Arizona strong safety Adrian Wilson, who hadn't even reached the postseason until his eighth Cardinals season

"People were saying, 'He stuck with the team when he could have maybe gone somewhere else,' " Gonzalez said. "I'm like, 'He's been there eight years. I've been with my team for 12.'

"I don't want to be on a good team. I know we can be good. There's no doubt. But I want to be on a Super Bowl-caliber team. I don't know how much time I have left. That window of opportunity is closing for me. I want to make sure I at least get a shot at going out there and doing something great."

Gonzalez originally asked for a trade last October. Rather than pout when the deal didn't happen despite the reported promises of then-team president Carl Peterson, Gonzalez still played at a high level. He finished with 96 receptions for 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns.

"I would be selling myself short as well as my teammates if I did anything less than that," said Gonzalez, who is primed to set career receiving marks of 900 catches and 11,000 yards in 2009. "That's why I spoke to my team after the trade didn't go down to tell them I'm on board and, if anything, I'm going to play even harder because I want to prove to everyone in this room, city and organization that I'm not that type of (selfish) guy."

Gonzalez knows the report that he is still demanding a trade doesn't help that perception.

"I've never been the type of guy who goes to the media trying to get my way," Gonzalez said. "That's just not my style. If anything, it's just to explain my side of the story. I'm not going to start doing that now.

"I'll probably from this point on stop (publicly) talking about this. There's nothing to talk about. You can't do anything right now anyway (with the NFL barring trades until February 27). I just want to play it out and see what happens."

blueballs
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
(Don't link me with that little bitch LJ)

OnTheWarpath58
02-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Different words, same bullshit.

Fritz88
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
"It's always been important to me to approach this game with class and do the right thing,"

Gatta TG.

PunkinDrublic
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
IMO Tony just answers the questions he's asked most of the time and to a loft of us fans take it as whining. It's not like he went crying to every media outlet demanding a trade. He's the face of the organization so whenever a huge move is made his opinion is one of the first sought after.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Translation: "Im willing to stick with the Chiefs as long as Pioli will stroke my ego and Thigpen throws me the ball 150 times a year.

I dont really care if we win or lose."

Darth CarlSatan
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Great post, thank you!

Perfectly reasonable on the part of Gonzales. All of his detractors can now shut their useless, fucking pie holes.

crazycoffey
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I still like tony.

-hoping he's a chief, playing for the superbowl soon.....

DeezNutz
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
"I've never been the type of guy who goes to the media trying to get my way," Gonzalez said. "That's just not my style."

Uh, huh. Sure.

PunkinDrublic
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Translation: "Im willing to stick with the Chiefs as long as Pioli will stroke my ego and Thigpen throws me the ball 150 times a year.

From the guy who compared him TO wtf ever.

unlurking
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM

?!?!

Wanting to be on a Super Bowl team DOES NOT EQUAL not caring about winning.

NickAthanFan
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
The only way I want this douche back is if he spends a little time under my desk with Clayton.

BigRock
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
It should have been obvious from the content of the Yahoo article that the headline was completely misleading. But sometimes the headline is all people pay attention to.

PunkinDrublic
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
?!?!

Wanting to be on a Super Bowl team DOES NOT EQUAL not caring about winning.

We have some whiney bitches on here who will complain no matter what TG says. Bottom line is he's played his ass off for this team and left it all out on the field. People need to cut him some slack.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
From the guy who compared him TO wtf ever.

I did? please remind me?

Reerun_KC
02-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Tonys new bling....

http://www.coolmyspacegraphics.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ggg_105885.gif

PunkinDrublic
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I did? please remind me?

I don't remember what thread it was but I seem to remember you comparing Tony to TO. If I'm wrong forgive me but I think you did.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't remember what thread it was but I seem to remember you comparing Tony to TO. If I'm wrong forgive me but I think you did.

I dont think that was me. But i cant be certain.

nychief
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
beep beep beep...

backtracking.

Bob Dole
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
"It's always been important to me to approach this game with class and do the right thing," Gonzalez said.

Good. Then shut the fuck up and honor the fat contract you signed.

Darth CarlSatan
02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
We have some whiney bitches on here who will complain no matter what TG says. Bottom line is he's played his ass off for this team and left it all out on the field. People need to cut him some slack.

Exactly. This isn't LJ were talking about here.
And unless he pulls some stupid LJ-like stunt( which he won't ), I'll stand behind the guy and his right to be recognized as a still valid part of this franchise.
And I will GIVE HIM leeway that I won't give to others.

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2009, 05:10 PM
It's just not that simple. You can't say "trade me to a SB team" and have it work out. A team that looks SB caliber now might not even make the playoffs. Ask Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas how their SB search worked out. Junior Seau left SD to go to Miami and NE and still doesn't have a ring.

warrior
02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
When we draft Sanchez Tony will want to stick around. ;)

bevis369
02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Learned from Herm well...:Poke:

Darth CarlSatan
02-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Word.

crazycoffey
02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
"It's always been important to me to approach this game with class and do the right thing," Gonzalez said.

Good. Then shut the **** up and honor the fat contract you signed.

we have a different team, Front office and coaching staff from when he signed the contract. Seems the stance could be made that the chiefs stopped honoring the contract first....

devil's advocate.

kstater
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Actually TG has made it pretty clear that he does not want a QB drafted, and wants Thigpen around.

Darth CarlSatan
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Actually TG has made it pretty clear that he does not want a QB drafted, and wants Thigpen around.

The Gonzales "Real Deal" seal of approval is a "who's playing QB this season?" award. You know this.

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
we have a different team, Front office and coaching staff from when he signed the contract. Seems the stance could be made that the chiefs stopped honoring the contract first....

devil's advocate.

He didn't sign with Herm Edwards or Carl Peterson. He signed with the Kansas City Chiefs. His contract is not null and void just because the Chiefs made front office changes.

milkman
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM

devil's advocate.

I'm pretty sure that the contract that Tony signed had nothing in it to guarantee that the Chiefs would be competitive, or that he could have a voice in who was in charge, or who played, or was drafted.

They are paying him to play football according to what's in his contract. so no, that stance could not be made.

crazycoffey
02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
He didn't sign with Herm Edwards or Carl Peterson. He signed with the Kansas City Chiefs. His contract is not null and void just because the Chiefs made front office changes.

I'm pretty sure that the contract that Tony signed had nothing in it to guarantee that the Chiefs would be competitive, or that he could have a voice in who was in charge, or who played, or was drafted.

They are paying him to play football according to what's in his contract. so no, that stance could not be made.

not saying it's my stance, just that a rational debate could be made on that end. "I signed with the understanding that certain things were happening, and going to happen. Suddenly in the course of an off season the overlook is entirely different. I'd like the opportunity to go elsewhere."

"no" or "yes"

"ok then" or "thanks"

of course this doesn't take into account last october....

bevis369
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Beep, Beep, Beep...;):)Stooges:Poke::shrug::bong::BS::BS::BS::Scanlon:

Red Beans
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
The only way I want this douche back is if he spends a little time under my desk with Clayton.

:shake: Wow the greatest tightend ever play the game, a douche? Just be thankful we don't have some asshole like Winslow. Tony is a class act. I believe the space between your ears could use some Summer's Eve...

DrRyan
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Please explain to me where you get this translation out of that article?

Darth CarlSatan
02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
:shake: Wow the greatest tightend ever play the game, a douche? Just be thankful we don't have some asshole like Winslow. Tony is a class act. I believe the space between your ears could use some Summer's Eve...

Don't take it seriously. This is the new "ha-ha" on the board this week; dupes posing as Nick Athan and his "fan".

FAX
02-04-2009, 06:09 PM
And the moral of this story, boys and girls, is: "Don't talk too much with a microphone in your face."

FAX

crazycoffey
02-04-2009, 06:19 PM
And the moral of this story, boys and girls, is: "Don't talk when you aren't paid to talk."

FAX

FYP, with all due respect.....

CrazyCoffey

PhillyChiefFan
02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
OK, so absolutely no one in journalism knows wtf is going on in Kansas City.