PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Another reason to be glad THE DEAL ISn't DONE

Christofire
02-05-2009, 09:07 AM
If you believe Jake Plummer, Shanahan sounds like a past-his-prime coach getting desperate to me.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11586720

Plummer: Shanny firing "was past due"

Former QB's blunt views on the dismissal of his former head coach center on a style that "wasn't motivating."
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/30/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

TAMPA, Fla. Not all of Mike Shanahan's former quarterbacks were disappointed to see him get fired as the Broncos' coach.

"I thought it was past due," Jake Plummer said in a telephone interview Thursday. "I think he had done what he could do and was just tapped out as far as his coaching style wasn't motivating guys anymore."

One of Plummer's former teams is here preparing for Super Bowl XLIII. Who would have guessed two years ago, when Plummer retired at the relatively young age of 32, that it would be the Arizona Cardinals and not the Broncos?

"You think the Cardinals have been perfect to get there?" Plummer said. "They've scrapped and clawed and they're standing now on the verge of a very historic moment."

The Broncos finished this past season 8-8 and missed the playoffs. The Cardinals finished their regular season 9-7 and are 60 minutes away from a world championship.

It can be razor-thin, the difference between success and failure. It's a line Plummer believes Shanahan found difficult to straddle.

Plummer was the Broncos' quarterback from 2003 until he was replaced 12 games into the 2006 season by a rookie named Jay Cutler. Speaking not out of bitterness but in his relaxed, if straightforward, manner in a telephone interview from his home in Sandpoint, Idaho, Plummer indicated Shanahan seemed to become increasingly obsessed with the Broncos' NFL rank in offense or defense instead of the win-loss record.

"It's hard on a team. We were 7-2 at one point my last year and we came out of a meeting with our heads bowed and we were all just sulking around like we had just been berated for not putting up 40 points, for not leading the league in offense, for not creating enough turnovers," Plummer said.

"It was a weird style to be coached that way. It really took it out of you as a player. I've been on 2-7 teams that had better attitudes coming out of team meetings than oftentimes when we came out of team meetings after Shanahan felt a need to motivate us even more."

To be fair to Shanahan, others of his former players did not feel that way. Cutler was upset when Broncos owner Pat Bowlen fired Shanahan two days after the 2008 season, and he said so publicly. And Plummer admits his personal relationship with Shanahan began to deteriorate after the Broncos' home loss in the 2005 AFC championship game and was compounded by a miscommunication regarding an offseason workout. Plummer thought he had cleared missing a week of offseason conditioning with an assistant coach only to learn later Shanahan was not informed.

Soon after, the Broncos traded up in the first round to select Cutler with the No. 11 pick in the 2006 draft. From then on, Shanahan seemed to be looking for reasons to replace Plummer with the rocket-armed Cutler.

The Broncos were 40-18 with Plummer as their starting quarterback. While everyone acknowledges Cutler is a far more talented passer, he is only 17-20 as a starter.

"He's a great quarterback, don't get me wrong," Plummer said. "I'm not saying anything to disrespect him. I think he's a helluva player. But Jeff George was a helluva player. There's a lot of guys who have been great players."

George had a long NFL career but was criticized for not winning more games.

Plummer said Cutler has a chance to become a star now that former New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has replaced Shana-han as head coach.

"I think it's a real smart move," Plummer said. "There's a lot of young coaches that are coming out of situations where they're coordinators for great coaches and going out on their own and really establishing themselves. He is young, but he's got to bring a lot of life and energy to coaching, which I'm sure will be good for that organization."

Let others question Bowlen's wisdom for hiring a 32-year-old as head coach. Plummer's not among them.

"At that level, there's mutual respect," Plummer said. "There should be mutual respect between coach and player and player and coach. Some coaches can accomplish that while staying in charge, but others, if they can't do it naturally, they do it with an iron fist or engulfing you in a way that didn't feel right. I think that's what happened to Shanahan. He just tried so hard and pushed so hard that nothing was good enough. Nothing."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

KC kid
02-05-2009, 09:11 AM
come on. its jake plummer

Fat Elvis
02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
The Broncos were 40-18 with Plummer as their starting quarterback. While everyone acknowledges Cutler is a far more talented passer, he is only 17-20 as a starter.

Ouch.

Darth CarlSatan
02-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Excellent!

The Rat is a burnout who couldn't control his douchebag QB, or fire up his team. NO Rat to KC; not today, not tomorrow, not EVER.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Oh c'mon.

If Jake Plummer thinks you're a bad coach, you're probably doing something right.

Cormac
02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
While everyone acknowledges Cutler is a far more talented passer

I don't know about this.....

Plummer was the second coming when he was a youngster, the Cards made the playoffs and he had lots of 4th quarter comebacks. Sure, his star power faded (rightly so), but the same will happen to Cutler too (overnight!) if he doesn't continue to improve. He's a useful QB at this point, nothing more, IMO.

Molitoth
02-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I think I remember Plummer going into like near week 10 or 11 without a single interception during his last year. He actually wasn't playing too bad at all.

blueballs
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
just cause he's a raging asshole
doesn't mean he's wrong

warrior
02-05-2009, 10:17 AM
just cause he's a raging asshole
doesn't mean he's wrong

True :D

EyePod
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I mean, I love the fact that a former mediocre QB doesn't think Shanan is a good coach.... but this picture says it all:

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/10/plummerhandball.jpg

chiefforlife
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I think I remember Plummer going into like near week 10 or 11 without a single interception during his last year. He actually wasn't playing too bad at all.

I remember watching him on the QB challenge at the probowl one yaer and he absolutely tore it up. He was a good QB!

blueballs
02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Plummer found some magic gloves too

KCChiefsFan88
02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Considering Jake Plummer had his best year's as an NFL QB under Shanahan's coaching, I'm guessing the Rat did something right with him.

EyePod
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
I remember watching him on the QB challenge at the probowl one yaer and he absolutely tore it up. He was a good QB!

He wasn't terrible. I don't think he's great though. He could have made it on a team with an amazing defense.

EyePod
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Plummer found some magic gloves too

While playing handball!

Lzen
02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes, it is Jake Plummer saying it. But then again, it isn't any different than what some of us have been saying. Shanahan was once considered a genius. What has he done for the past decade since Elway retired? 1 playoff win. That is it. Just one. No Shanny to KC.

KCChiefsFan88
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes, it is Jake Plummer saying it. But then again, it isn't any different than what some of us have been saying. Shanahan was once considered a genius. What has he done for the past decade since Elway retired? 1 playoff win. That is it. Just one. No Shanny to KC.

Shanahan the GM killed Shanahan the head coach.

Darth CarlSatan
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM

As long as both are dead, I see no problem.

Lzen
02-05-2009, 02:43 PM

Perhaps that is true. But nobody knows whether he could still do the job without the GM duties. I sure as Hell don't want the Chiefs to be the team that tries this experiment. Not to mention that guy is a scumbag.

OnTheWarpath58
02-05-2009, 02:48 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2zxv75z.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2zxv75z.jpg

ROFL:doh!: