PDA

View Full Version : Football Cassel gets the tag!!

Pooch
02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Heard it on the nfl network!!

KC kid
02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I think we can rule out Cassel in KC. You have to wonder why New England would tag a back up QB. I guess good teams realize how important QB is

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I think we can rule out Cassel in KC. You have to wonder why New Englang would tag a back up QB. I guess good teams realize how important QB is

WHAT about the tag would stop us from getting him?

Brock
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Why wouldn't they franchise him?

Fruit Ninja
Matt Cassell is one lucky son of a bitch. I would sign that shit asap. 15 million to wait and see if Tom is healthy. If he is, he doesnt have to do shit but practice and rake in the big bucks.

noa
I think we can rule out Cassel in KC. You have to wonder why New England would tag a back up QB. I guess good teams realize how important QB is

I don't think Tom Brady is going to be back to form for a while.

JASONSAUTO

where have you been lately he's like a bottom 5 QB in the nfl

ChiefRon
Wow, 14M for a backup QB. Wow.

They're definitely trading him.

KCCHIEFS27
02-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Maybe because Brady is coming off of significant knee surgery? Not that hard to figure out, buddy.

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Maybe because Brady is coming off of significant knee surgery? Not that hard to figure out, buddy.

AND they dont want him to go for nothing

blueballs
02-05-2009, 03:20 PM
This should trigger anothe 1/2 dozen
we don't need a QB at #3 threads
-just slightly adjusted

KC kid

I dont think anyone out there would give up what it takes to get Cassel in terms of franchise requirements.

raybec 4
Matt Cassell is one lucky son of a bitch. I would sign that shit asap. 15 million to wait and see if Tom is healthy. If he is, he doesnt have to do shit but practice and rake in the big bucks.

No doubt, I would have signed that shit before it was done printing. Even if he gets traded somebody is going to give up a fat long term deal to a guy who has only started one season since High School.

ChiefRon

No way, I find it hard to believe they intend to follow through paying him 14m for the entire year.

That is the anti-New England way.

He's getting traded.

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I dont think anyone out there would give up what it takes to get Cassel in terms of franchise requirements.

really? they can trade him for whatever they want

Brock

They'd give something up though.

Fritz88

They also know more than anyone else the status of Tom Brady whom I think is not progressing as fast as they want him to.

raybec 4

Franchise requirements only apply if another team signs him to an offer sheet. The Pats can trade him any time they want.

Buck
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
First in w/ Damnit Scott.

/not even a chiefs fan

KC kid
02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
First in w/ Damnit Scott.

/not even a chiefs fan

Well, I would hate to think we would give up anything higher than a mid second for him. maybe a third and LJ. Of course, I just want to throw LJ in any deal to get rid of him

Chieftain58
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
If Pioli gives away our first round pick for this backup QB.. I will be pissed

The Bad Guy
02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Matt Cassell should send Bernard Pollard a gift.

melbar
02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
He is free to negotiate with other teams. Could be giving him the freedom to go get the best offer...

Dick Bull
02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
If Pioli gives away our first round pick for this backup QB.. I will be pissed

It will never happen.

Frazod
02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think Tom Brady is going to be back to form for a while.

This was my first thought. Perhaps they know something about Tom Terrific that isn't common knowledge yet.

ChiefRon
02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Just heard this number will put the Pats only $2M under the cap, which won't even be enough for signing their rookies.

Unless there's a purge of expensive players (who?), they tagged him to trade him, unless they're just buying time to negotiate a long-term deal.

CupidStunt
02-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Just heard this number will put the Pats only $2M under the cap, which won't even be enough for signing their rookies.

Unless there's a purge of expensive players (who?), they tagged him to trade him, unless they're just buying time to negotiate a long-term deal.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_WnoEwVVfWTM/R_QpTYF3glI/AAAAAAAAB_M/sBdqpoNdQok/s320/no_shit_sherlock.jpg

Gonzo
02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Shhhhhh!!!! (mods hate Tags.)

whatsmynameagain
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
i dont get what a lot of you say about this guy being a backup and a backup only. something was there that pioli and belichek liked, otherwise why would they waste the pick? they knew he was good, just like they knew brady was good. both qbs possess the qualitys that they deem necessary to run that offense or they never would have been drafted. any of you doubting matt cassel right now will have some serious crow to eat before long.

in hoping we send tg or lj to new england with anything other than a first for cassel and we snag crabtree with our first rounder, whos with me?
Posted via Mobile Device

melbar
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM

:hmmm:

Maybe Cassel isnt the Patriot we should be focusing on...Pioli should be all to happy to help the Pats with their cap situation...Mwwwaaa Haaa haaa...

blueballs
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
:hmmm:

Maybe Cassel isnt the Patriot we should be focusing on...Pioli should be all to happy to help the Pats with their cap situation...Mwwwaaa Haaa haaa...

Brewski can save kittens
he can HC the KC Chiefs

Rooster
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM

ROFL

No $hit.... Pollard should at least get a car out of the deal.

Valiant
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
i dont get what a lot of you say about this guy being a backup and a backup only. something was there that pioli and belichek liked, otherwise why would they waste the pick? they knew he was good, just like they knew brady was good. both qbs possess the qualitys that they deem necessary to run that offense or they never would have been drafted. any of you doubting matt cassel right now will have some serious crow to eat before long.

in hoping we send tg or lj to new england with anything other than a first for cassel and we snag crabtree with our first rounder, whos with me?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm thinking you are clueless..

Cassell will suck on any other team but NE.. Huard would look like a HOF'r on that team..

whatsmynameagain
02-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm you are clueless..

Cassell will suck on any other team but NE.. Huard would look like a HOF'r on that team..

are we not building our franchise with half the brain from new england? there is certain criteria they use to evaluate qbs and they chose him. i think cassel can lead a teams offense just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Stunned by this news. Never saw it coming.

the Talking Can
02-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

LJ for Cassell?

no one - on the Planet Earth - is with you

Short Leash Hootie
02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
this should be the easiest, most quickly signed franchised tender...ever.

Mr. Kotter
02-05-2009, 04:21 PM

This. :thumb:

Cassel....the new and improved Todd Collins. :)

Guru
02-05-2009, 04:21 PM
No way in hell Pioli gives up the number 3 overall to get him. Not gonna happen.

Luke the Drifter
02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
This. :thumb:

Cassel....the new and improved Todd Collins. :)

Mr. Collins got a lot of paychecks just for practicing. Did he ever play a game for the Giants?:doh!:

rambleonthruthefog
02-05-2009, 04:32 PM

$$$$

kstater
02-05-2009, 04:33 PM
$$$$

Using the tag on Cassell is not about the money.

PastorMikH
02-05-2009, 05:01 PM
It will never happen.

'Course not. We'll draft our own backup QB with the 3rd pick in the draft.

theorangelion
02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
'Course not. We'll draft our own backup QB with the 3rd pick in the draft.

What about our starter? Free Agency? You surely don't think Thiggy?:eek:

MIAdragon
02-05-2009, 05:05 PM
So If Terrific Tom is down for the count, will they run with Cassel or go out and pick up someone?

PastorMikH
02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
What about our starter? Free Agency? You surely don't think Thigpen?:eek:

Our starter? Which one, the first, second, or third?:)

FWIW, Thigpen is the best we have right now. I would like to see some legit starting QB(s) brought in for competition. If Thigpen can beat them out of the job, then I'm all for him starting next year.

Warrior5
02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
not even a chiefs fan

Liar.

whatsmynameagain
02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
len dawson just said rumors are already swirling about cassel to the chiefs
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
len dawson just said rumors are already swirling about cassel to the chiefs
Posted via Mobile Device

He must read chiefs planet

blueballs
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

pick #230
of 255
hell of a pick to waste

Mr. Flopnuts
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
WHAT about the tag would stop us from getting him?

The 15 million dollar salary isn't enough?

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
where have you been lately he's like a bottom 5 QB in the nflCassel - his first year playing since HS - 11 and 5. 10th overall; 10th passer rating; 14th fewest INTs; 10th in TDs; 11th in Yds/att; 11th completion %; 10th yds per game. His first Start in 8 years since HS came against the Chiefs. He went 13 for 18 with 152 Yards, a touchdown and no interceptions with a Passer Rating of 116. You have him a bottom five. Go figure.

I'm not saying he's great. We don't know yet. But be fair.

Cheers, BostonTim

Mr. Flopnuts
02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
What's the over/under on Cassel getting that tender sheet signed? I'm gonna say 12 minutes.

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Cassel - his first year playing since HS - 11 and 5. 10th overall; 10th passer rating; 14th fewest INTs; 10th in TDs; 11th in Yds/att; 11th completion %; 10th yds per game. His first Start in 8 years since HS came against the Chiefs. He went 13 for 18 with 152 Yards, a touchdown and no interceptions with a Passer Rating of 116. You have him a bottom five. Go figure.

Cheers, BostonTim
sarcasm, people argued with me the other day and that is what THEY said

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
The 15 million dollar salary isn't enough?

does he HAVE to get 15 million if we signed him, is that how JA's deal worked

MIAdragon
02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Ive got $$$ that Cassel wont be a Pat next year.

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
The 15 million dollar salary isn't enough?It's not there if he doesn't sign the tender. But presumably, wherever he goes, he'll work out a longterm deal BEFORE the trade which will preempt the 15 million even if he signs it. He'ld likely get a Signing Bonus (10 mil?), maybe 20-25 mil guaranteed, low salaries (500000-1000000) first couple of years and very low cap impact at first.

Cheers, BostonTim

Mr. Flopnuts
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
does he HAVE to get 15 million if we signed him, is that how JA's deal worked

JA's deal didn't work that way, but that's because he got more. Would you support giving him Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning money? Because that's what it's going to take at this point.

orange
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Cassel - his first year playing since HS - 11 and 5. 10th overall; 10th passer rating; 14th fewest INTs; 10th in TDs; 11th in Yds/att; 11th completion %; 10th yds per game. His first Start in 8 years since HS came against the Chiefs. He went 13 for 18 with 152 Yards, a touchdown and no interceptions with a Passer Rating of 116. You have him a bottom five. Go figure.

Cheers, BostonTim

From Another Bulletin Board:

HEY PATS LOSE!
Listen here you welp. You claim that you are sticking to facts and that, refering to the Pitt and SD game, and I quote... 'Cassell's numbers were actually pretty good in both games you mentioned. it was the defense who let those games get out of hand.'

Well let me refresh your "facts." Here's Cassel's line for each game.
PITT:
19-39
169 yards
0TD
2 INT
2 Fumbles Lost

SAN DIEGO:
22-38
194 yards
0 TD
1 INT
1 Fumble Lost

Hmm...and I quote again, "Cassel's numbers were pretty good." You think? 6 turnovers in the two games against 0 TD's, very little yardage and a bad completion percentage.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
It's not there if he doesn't sign the tender. But presumably, wherever he goes, he'll work out a longterm deal BEFORE the trade which will preempt the 15 million even if he signs it. He'ld likely get a Signing Bonus, Maybe 20-25 mil gaurenteed, low salaries (500000-1000000) first couple of years and very low cap impact at first.

Cheers, BostonTim

Why would he do that? He'll have opportunities next year, and frankly Tom Brady may not be ready to start the season. If anyone ever benefited from signing the 1 year tender and going from there, it's Cassel.

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
JA's deal didn't work that way, but that's because he got more. Would you support giving him Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning money? Because that's what it's going to take at this point.

really? if a team was to trade for him they couldnt give him whatever contract they could work out(and i'm not for or against him, pioli knows more about him than I)

orange
02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
It's not there if he doesn't sign the tender. But presumably, wherever he goes, he'll work out a longterm deal BEFORE the trade which will preempt the 15 million even if he signs it. He'ld likely get a Signing Bonus (10 mil?), maybe 20-25 mil guaranteed, low salaries (500000-1000000) first couple of years and very low cap impact at first.

Cheers, BostonTim

Why would he take a signing bonus less than the $15 million he's guaranteed by New England?

I think that $15 million is now the start line.

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
From Another Bulletin Board:

HEY PATS LOSE!
Listen here you welp. You claim that you are sticking to facts and that, refering to the Pitt and SD game, and I quote... 'Cassell's numbers were actually pretty good in both games you mentioned. it was the defense who let those games get out of hand.'

Well let me refresh your "facts." Here's Cassel's line for each game.
PITT:
19-39
169 yards
0TD
2 INT
2 Fumbles Lost

SAN DIEGO:
22-38
194 yards
0 TD
1 INT
1 Fumble Lost

Hmm...and I quote again, "Cassel's numbers were pretty good." You think? 6 turnovers in the two games against 0 TD's, very little yardage and a bad completion percentage.Well, I'm not responsible for what some OTHER nitwit said, only what this nitwit said, right? Those were his 2 worst games. Nothing more to say is there?

Cheers, BostonTim

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 05:59 PM
sarcasm, people argued with me the other day and that is what THEY said
Ok. Sorry 'bout that, then.

Cheers, BostonTim

JASONSAUTO
It's not there if he doesn't sign the tender. But presumably, wherever he goes, he'll work out a longterm deal BEFORE the trade which will preempt the 15 million even if he signs it. He'ld likely get a Signing Bonus (10 mil?), maybe 20-25 mil guaranteed, low salaries (500000-1000000) first couple of years and very low cap impact at first.

Cheers, BostonTim

Why would he take a signing bonus less than the $15 million he's guaranteed by New England?

I think that $15 million is now the start line.

his reasoning

orange
Well, I'm not responsible for what some OTHER nitwit said, only what this nitwit said, right? Those were his 2 worst games. Nothing more to say is there?

Cheers, BostonTim

Yes, there is. He sucked when he played good teams.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-05-2009, 06:00 PM
really? if a team was to trade for him they couldnt give him whatever contract they could work out(and i'm not for or against him, pioli knows more about him than I)

Sure they could. But why would Cassel take less than he's getting already? Because he wants to kick it with Scott in KC? He's guaranteed $15 million for next season alone. It's gonna take at least that in a signing bonus and who knows what for a salary.

Whoever trades for him knows they have to trump that deal. $15 million for 1 year. Manny might say no, but nobody else is. I don't think he's worth that kind of a cap hit personally. He hasn't proven that yet.

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes, there is. He sucked when he played good teams.

san diego was good? hey everyony has a bad game now and then especially when it's YOUR FIRST YEAR STARTING. but yeah tom brady had 300+ yard, 4 td games regularly his first year

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Sure they could. But why would Cassel take less than he's getting already? Because he wants to kick it with Scott in KC? He's guaranteed $15 million for next season alone. It's gonna take at least that in a signing bonus and who knows what for a salary.

Whoever trades for him knows they have to trump that deal. $15 million for 1 year. Manny might say no, but nobody else is. I don't think he's worth that kind of a cap hit personally. He hasn't proven that yet.

it's about guaranteed money. so if he signed the tender is the 15mil guaranteed? could NE cut him?

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM

I think that $15 million is now the start line.Because he'll have a 20-25 Million dollar (maybe more guaranteed K which is way more than 15 and takes away the injury factor and gives him LongTerm Peace of mind. This happens with tagged players frequently. And I'm speculating here. You could end up being right. But everyone knows they'll be trying to work a long term deal to get him 'cause this is standard practice, and they'll structure it so both are ok with it or it won't get done.

Cheers, BostonTim

kstater
02-05-2009, 06:05 PM

IIRC, NE can pull the tag by a certain date. If I'm right on that, NE is going to play a high stakes game of chicken to see what they can get for him before that date.

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
IIRC, NE can pull the tag by a certain date. If I'm right on that, NE is going to play a high stakes game of chicken to see what they can get for him before that date.They can't pull the tag if he signs the tender I don't believe.

Cheers, BostonTim

orange
02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
it's about guaranteed money. so if he signed the tender is the 15mil guaranteed? could NE cut him?

Yes, the franchise tender is guaranteed. NE could cut him, but they still would have to pay him.

JASONSAUTO
02-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes, the franchise tender is guaranteed. NE could cut him, but they still would have to pay him.

for some reason i think NE has all their bases covered

Simply Red
02-05-2009, 06:24 PM

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 06:26 PM
This is the 5th time that BB has used the non-exclusive franchise tag in his tenure with the Pats. The first 4 occasions he used the tag on the final day possible. For Cassel, he has used the tag on the first day possible. This makes much of the situation, very transparent. Clearly, any team interested would like to get the playbook imto his hands as soon as possible. This will also give the maximum amount of time to negotiate deals. BB will surely give Matt permision to talk with other clubs to try to agree to a contract, after which the Pats and that team would need to agree on compensation. By tagging now he maxes the available time allowing time for the process and maybe even time to shop around. In the end, the sooner this is done, the sooner the Pats can reclaim the Cap money. If a deal could be done by Feb 27 (start of FA) the Pats will have scored big, being repositioned to bring their full wallet to day one of FA. Matt is gone.

Cheers, BostonTim

Simply Red
02-05-2009, 06:31 PM
This is the 5th time that BB has used the non-exclusive franchise tag in his tenure with the Pats. The first 4 occasions he used the tag on the final day possible. For Cassel, he has used the tag on the first day possible. This makes much of the situation, very transparent. Clearly, any team interested would like to get the playbook imto his hands as soon as possible. This will also give the maximum amount of time to negotiate deals. BB will surely give Matt permision to talk with other clubs to try to agree to a contract, after which the Pats and that team would need to agree on compensation. By tagging now he maxes the available time allowing time for the process and maybe even time to shop around. In the end, the sooner this is done, the sooner the Pats can reclaim the Cap money. If a deal could be done by Feb 27 (start of FA) the Pats will have scored big, being repositioned to bring their full wallet to day one of FA. Matt is gone.

Cheers, BostonTim

Post more, jerk. ;)

BostonTim
02-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Post more, jerk. ;)
I hope that's a friendly wink. I'm totally worn out from posting 11 times in just 6 1/2 years.

Cheers, BostonTim

Saul Good
02-05-2009, 07:29 PM

Cheers, BostonTim

He only had 7 fewer wins and 35 fewer TD passes than the QB the year before. That's worth giving up the 3rd pick in the draft, right?

beach tribe
02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
They had to franchise him....DUH!! Or else they don't get anything for him.

Saul Good
02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
They had to franchise him....DUH!! Or else they don't get anything for him.

It's almost as if the Patriots know that his value has peaked. They wouldn't take a 7th round pick, shine him up a little, and trade him for a first rounder would they?

bevis369
02-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Cassel is it...

Tribal Warfare
02-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Cassell will be targeted by Minnesota or Tampa Bay, KC won't bite on this

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
this should be the easiest, most quickly signed franchised tender...ever.

If Cassel signs it, he loses his right to be a FA next year, because the uncapped year and expiration of the CBA will push the requirements for FA up to 6 years of service, and he will only have five. So by signing this, he's actually locked down for two years (as he can't file for FA in the spring of '10.

Simply Red
02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I hope that's a friendly wink. I'm totally worn out from posting 11 times in just 6 1/2 years.

Cheers, BostonTim

of course so.

orange
02-05-2009, 10:28 PM
If Cassel signs it, he loses his right to be a FA next year, because the uncapped year and expiration of the CBA will push the requirements for FA up to 6 years of service, and he will only have five. So by signing this, he's actually locked down for two years (as he can't file for FA in the spring of '10.

2 years, $29 million guaranteed. TAKE IT, MATT!

Or, do you think he'll be obligated to play a year for free? - because the tender is only a one-year contract.

BostonTim
02-06-2009, 06:54 AM
2 years, $29 million guaranteed. TAKE IT, MATT!

Or, do you think he'll be obligated to play a year for free? - because the tender is only a one-year contract.:LOL: Neither of course. He would become a restricted FA. Pats would max tender him and he could sign or go elsewhere with the Pats getting the requisite 1st and 3rd.

Cheers, BostonTim

orange
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
:LOL: Neither of course. He would become a restricted FA. Pats would max tender him and he could sign or go elsewhere with the Pats getting the requisite 1st and 3rd.

Cheers, BostonTim

I think you and 'Hamas' Jenkins are both confused/overextrapolating. Cassel is already an UFA according to the NFLPA. He won't lose that status retroactively. The "uncapped year" rules will only apply to players who had not yet earned UFA.

patriotsfan
02-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Amazing,

I have read through several threads on this site and the general consensus I get is that Scott Pioli remains in question, arguments withstanding, and that Matt Cassel would be too much a risk for the price that is being asked of him.

I am a season ticket holder and longtime fan of the New England Patriots. I live in Boston and have followed our team since boyhood. No one ever knows what can and will happen in the NFL, there are just too many variables. That being said allow me to honestly comment on a few items that may or may not be of some interest to an anxious Kansas City fanbase.

Scott Pioli-

This man brings to your team more than just a decorated resume, to be sure. He brings with him two important pieces of why New England has been so successful over the last decade. 1) a philosophy of sorts on the essence of "team", and this philosophy will stretch from front office, down the coaching ranks, and onto the field on any given Sunday. 2) a scouting standard that was taught to him by no other than Bill Belichick, which by the way was handed down to him by his father Steve Belichick who single handedly revamped the whole scouting process and would eventually write a book that is still studied to this day when it comes to evaluating potential talent.

Mark my words,
these next few premonitions will come to fruition and you will think back and say "yeah that patriotsfan guy said this would happen".

Draft days will tend to disappoint for the most part, your team will go after players that you have not considered, or ones that you have overlooked for one reason or another, and you will question the people that are hiring and firing. Fear not, this is a blessing. What Mr. Pioli will successfully accomplish is to create a team that is prepared for three inevitable NFL aspects .

1) Injury 2) Free agency 3) The next season

My advice to all Kansas City Chief fans, completely drop your sense of what you think is right for the team and have blind faith. Just believe, let this man do what he was taught to do best: create a championship caliber team.

We have seen beloved players, and coaches come and go in New England, and I would bet most Patriot fans would agree with the following:

The value of Scott Pioli cannot be over stated. He was and will always be a VERY important piece of the New England Patriots rise to the legendary dynasty it has now become. He may have been our most significant loss.

Be excited Kansas City, be very, very excited. Glory is on it's way.

As far as Matt Cassel is concerned

Heres what he did (thanks to you guys), he came in for an injured legend, and led our team to an 11-5 record which in most cases, save this weird AFC East battleground, would win the division outright. He did this after not starting a game since high school and anyone that watched him progress could see three things that occurred during the season:

1) He learned to make his reads, at first shy he would read one, tuck the ball and run, or get sacked, but as the season wore on he began making his second, and sometimes third read. Outstanding adjustment for someone who never even got to get used to college speed, never mind the NFL.

2) He showed that not only could he manage a game, ie the system quarterback, but in a few games had 4th quarter comebacks and could be relied on to actually win games.

3) Not only did he have big shoes to fill, and an ever increasing league of doubters, but his teammates were falling down like flies around him with injuries, and then he lost his father mid season. The kid showed that like Brady he has ice water in his veins and can be successful despite distraction.

Mix in a couple 400yd games back to back, all the yards he made on his feet, the touchdowns vs. interceptions, all the sacks he took and the durability he showed. And he has been mentored by dynastic teams and hall of famers.

This kid is the real deal, any team would be lucky to have him.

Mix in the guy who will build the offense around him, Pioli, and your new coach who has a proven resume of creating an offense around a QB's strengths, Haley, and you then have the three most important pieces of the puzzle, the three gems in the crown. If the Chiefs can do that within one off season, it will prove to be one HUGE step towards annual playoff contenders, and eventual champions.

As far as the dissension amongst your current players, that is to be expected.
Some cannot accept change, and inflated egos get in the way of careful calculation. We have seen the likes of Drew Bledsoe, Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Ben Coates, Dion Branch, Asante Samuel, and so many other beloved players fall out of grace and as a fan I have been more than upset on many an occasion, but remember my one bit of advice. Fear not, just believe.

I have always been impressed with the support Kansas City has shown its team throughout the years, it has been said you are the loudest fanbase in the NFL. I think its time you guys stop bickering and begin unifying your voices, there will be a lot to cheer about in the coming years.

Good luck from Foxboro (and whip the snot out of those Broncos)

yours truly,
just another fan

CoMoChief
02-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Cassell will be targeted by Minnesota or Tampa Bay, KC won't bite on this

I dont see MIN doing this 2 years in a row.

MIAdragon
02-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I dont see MIN doing this 2 years in a row.

I could see Detroit making a run at him.

Short Leash Hootie
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
I might hate Boston more than anything...but that was a very insightful post by PatriotsFan...

orange
02-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Draft days will tend to disappoint for the most part, your team will go after players that you have not considered, or ones that you have overlooked for one reason or another, and you will question the people that are hiring and firing. Fear not, this is a blessing. What Mr. Pioli will successfully accomplish is to create a team that is prepared for three inevitable NFL aspects .

1) Injury 2) Free agency 3) The next season.

Is that why they're paying $15 million to a backup QB whom they could have extended last year for less than a quarter of that price?

My advice to all Kansas City Chief fans, completely drop your sense of what you think is right for the team and have blind faith. Just believe, let this man do what he was taught to do best: create a championship caliber team..

"Blind faith" is completely unjustified. Pioli is out on his own, now, and KC fans have every right and reason to wonder about his moves as they would about anyone else's.

The value of Scott Pioli cannot be over stated. He was and will always be a VERY important piece of the New England Patriots rise to the legendary dynasty it has now become. He may have been our most significant loss.

How fast and how far do you see the Patriots descending, now?

seclark
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I might hate Boston more than anything...but that was a very insightful post by PatriotsFan...

i think others agree. that's a pretty big sack of rep he's packin for just one post.
sec

Valiant
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Amazing,

I have read through several threads on this site and the general consensus I get is that Scott Pioli remains in question, arguments withstanding, and that Matt Cassel would be too much a risk for the price that is being asked of him.

I am a season ticket holder and longtime fan of the New England Patriots. I live in Boston and have followed our team since boyhood. No one ever knows what can and will happen in the NFL, there are just too many variables. That being said allow me to honestly comment on a few items that may or may not be of some interest to an anxious Kansas City fanbase.

Scott Pioli-

This man brings to your team more than just a decorated resume, to be sure. He brings with him two important pieces of why New England has been so successful over the last decade. 1) a philosophy of sorts on the essence of "team", and this philosophy will stretch from front office, down the coaching ranks, and onto the field on any given Sunday. 2) a scouting standard that was taught to him by no other than Bill Belichick, which by the way was handed down to him by his father Steve Belichick who single handedly revamped the whole scouting process and would eventually write a book that is still studied to this day when it comes to evaluating potential talent.

Mark my words,
these next few premonitions will come to fruition and you will think back and say "yeah that patriotsfan guy said this would happen".

1) Injury 2) Free agency 3) The next season

My advice to all Kansas City Chief fans, completely drop your sense of what you think is right for the team and have blind faith. Just believe, let this man do what he was taught to do best: create a championship caliber team.

We have seen beloved players, and coaches come and go in New England, and I would bet most Patriot fans would agree with the following:

Be excited Kansas City, be very, very excited. Glory is on it's way.

As far as Matt Cassel is concerned

Heres what he did (thanks to you guys), he came in for an injured legend, and led our team to an 11-5 record which in most cases, save this weird AFC East battleground, would win the division outright. He did this after not starting a game since high school and anyone that watched him progress could see three things that occurred during the season:

1) He learned to make his reads, at first shy he would read one, tuck the ball and run, or get sacked, but as the season wore on he began making his second, and sometimes third read. Outstanding adjustment for someone who never even got to get used to college speed, never mind the NFL.

2) He showed that not only could he manage a game, ie the system quarterback, but in a few games had 4th quarter comebacks and could be relied on to actually win games.

3) Not only did he have big shoes to fill, and an ever increasing league of doubters, but his teammates were falling down like flies around him with injuries, and then he lost his father mid season. The kid showed that like Brady he has ice water in his veins and can be successful despite distraction.

Mix in a couple 400yd games back to back, all the yards he made on his feet, the touchdowns vs. interceptions, all the sacks he took and the durability he showed. And he has been mentored by dynastic teams and hall of famers.

This kid is the real deal, any team would be lucky to have him.

Mix in the guy who will build the offense around him, Pioli, and your new coach who has a proven resume of creating an offense around a QB's strengths, Haley, and you then have the three most important pieces of the puzzle, the three gems in the crown. If the Chiefs can do that within one off season, it will prove to be one HUGE step towards annual playoff contenders, and eventual champions.

As far as the dissension amongst your current players, that is to be expected.
Some cannot accept change, and inflated egos get in the way of careful calculation. We have seen the likes of Drew Bledsoe, Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Ben Coates, Dion Branch, Asante Samuel, and so many other beloved players fall out of grace and as a fan I have been more than upset on many an occasion, but remember my one bit of advice. Fear not, just believe.

I have always been impressed with the support Kansas City has shown its team throughout the years, it has been said you are the loudest fanbase in the NFL. I think its time you guys stop bickering and begin unifying your voices, there will be a lot to cheer about in the coming years.

Good luck from Foxboro (and whip the snot out of those Broncos)

yours truly,
just another fan

You forgot to add threw to two allstar caliber WR's which led the league in YAC, meaning his WR's did most of the work..

Then he played on a team with a top 10 defense, I believe the only one to miss the playoffs because as you put it 'wacky afc east'..

By your definition, your waterboy who was on a stacked team also should be traded..

-------------------

Cassell played good on a stacked SB ready team.. If he was great as you all pimp him to be you would not be wanting to trade him.. Quit overhyping his value to the few retards out there who believe you.. He is worth nothing more then a 4th with possibility of it being worth more if the guy manages to actually do great on another team if he gets traded..

But guess what, he will not have the stud receivers on another team nor a stud defense.. He will look like derek Anderson if he gets traded to another team..

patriotsfan
02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Is that why they're paying $15 million to a backup QB whom they could have extended last year for less than a quarter of that price?

thats just negotiating leverage, we will not pay him that much to be a backup, remember Drew Bledsoe? anyways, thats just business, and a smart business move as well by the Pats (we wont get two 1st rounders either lol)

"Blind faith" is completely unjustified. Pioli is out on his own, now, and KC fans have every right and reason to wonder about his moves as they would about anyone else's.

It is justified from where I am sitting, in title town. As far as Pioli being out on his own, thats a matter of opinion I suppose, sure Belichick isn't with him, but neither is Bob Kraft, but apparently your team owner/s has smartened up and chose the right guy for the job. Look at who they hired for HC.
You will see.

How fast and how far do you see the Patriots descending, now?

Remember that team philosophy I spoke of, and the scouting standard, Well like I said it is something that transcends staff and players. teams have been courting Pioli for years, in fact the Falcons grabbed one of his under studies and have done VERY well in as far as one season worth of hires. Allow me to elaborate:

When Scott Pioli was hired as general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs earlier this month, a void was left in three primary areas:

Player evaluation

Organization of the scouting department

Contract negotiations

Director of player personnel Nick Caserio was widely assumed to be Pioli’s successor in the first two areas, but a question remained how the Patriots would proceed with contract negotiations.

The hiring of veteran NFL personnel man Floyd Reese today fills out the Patriots’ picture, as Reese, according to the Patriots, “will be involved with various football-related assignments, including contracts.”

In announcing the hiring of Reese, the Patriots also solidified Caserio’s role, noting that he will remain director of player personnel and manage the daily operations of the personnel department, continuing to work closely with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on all personnel matters.

As Caserio transitions into taking on more responsibility in player evaluation and organization of the scouting department following Pioli’s departure, he’ll also have a veteran sounding board in Reese if necessary.

Reese, who has been working as an analyst for ESPN, was formerly the general manager of the Tennessee Titans. He held this position until 2006. His first (and probably best) move was to hire Jeff Fisher who is still currently the head coach. Notable players on the Titans roster who were selected under Reese's watch include Albert Haynesworth, Keith Bulluck, Lendale White, Bo Scaife, and Cortland Finnegan. Three of his 11 first round picks ended up winning rookie of the year honors (Eddie George, Jevon Kearse and Vince Young) while he also selected Steve McNair with the No. 3 pick of the 1995 draft. In hindsight, the low point of his tenure was perhaps the selection of Adam "Pacman" Jones in 2005 with the No. 6 overall pick.

“We consider ourselves fortunate to have the opportunity to add someone with Floyd Reese’s NFL experience and expertise to our staff,” Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft said in a statement. “Floyd will be a tremendous asset serving Coach Belichick in an advisory role.”

Belichick, in a statement, said: "Floyd and I go back a long way, practically to the beginning for both of us. He has handled as much as one person can possibly handle in this league and to a certain extent, so has Nick. In Nick and Floyd, we have two outstanding men who each bring a wealth of knowledge and flexibility to this organization. I look forward to joining with both of them and working toward the common goal of our team's improvement and success.”

I do not see our team spiraling anywhere in a downwards direction..

patriotsfan
02-06-2009, 03:18 PM
You forgot to add threw to two allstar caliber WR's which led the league in YAC, meaning his WR's did most of the work..

He threw most of his passes to Wes Welker, Kevin Faulk, and others that are not named Moss. He checked down, made reads, led safeties with his eyes, and threw the ball away instead of making dumb interceptions or sacks (the latter part improved by midseason as a result of adjustments to the big boy league as I previously noted) He is a good quarterback, a very good quarterback, possibly if nurtured correctly... maybe one of the greats.

Then he played on a team with a top 10 defense, I believe the only one to miss the playoffs because as you put it 'wacky afc east'..

He played on the most injured team in the NFL. Just the IR alone is disgusting

DB's: Rodney Harrison, Tank Williams, Jason Webster, Terrence Wheatley
LB's: Adalius Thomas, Eric Alexander, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, Bo Rudd
OL: Ryan O'Callaghan, Oliver Ross, Barry Stokes, Anthony Clement
DL: Kenny Smith RB: Laurence Maroney

Add on day to day, and week to week injuries and our team was a mess.

But a good defense none the less, thanks to great scouting and Scott Pioli, like I said this guy will prepare a team for injuries

By your definition, your waterboy who was on a stacked team also should be traded..

I was one of his biggest detractors prior to 2008, and now one of his biggest fans. If Brady, our Montana, wasn't coming back- Cassel, would be our Steve Young. Think about it.

-------------------

Cassell played good on a stacked SB ready team.. If he was great as you all pimp him to be you would not be wanting to trade him.. Quit overhyping his value to the few retards out there who believe you.. He is worth nothing more then a 4th with possibility of it being worth more if the guy manages to actually do great on another team if he gets traded..

I wont even dignify this, other than I think insulting others is far from representing yourself in an intelligent manner.

But guess what, he will not have the stud receivers on another team nor a stud defense.. He will look like derek Anderson if he gets traded to another team..

Opinions from a guy who calls others' opinions retarded: very telling, indeed.

The_Doctor10
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM

The rest of the AFC East should pitch in and put Pollard's kids through college, his parents in a top-rate nursing home, and pay his income taxes for the next 30 years...

DaFace
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
New details for what it's worth...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/07/cassel-likely-to-remain-in-new-england/

Cassel signs $14.65M franchise tender

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Matt Cassel, New England Patriots, Tom Brady

Now that QB Matt Cassel has signed his $14.65 million non-exclusive franchise tender — the largest guarantee on a one-year contract in the history of the NFL — some around the league believe it’s 95 percent that he remains in New England.

The only way the Patriots would trade Cassel is if they know QB Tom Brady is healthy, and even if they do, the bidder needs to be to Cassel’s liking and offer a contract to his liking, or there’s no deal.

That’s not to say it can’t happen. But it’s not going to be easy to make it happen.

patriotsfan
02-28-2009, 12:31 PM
THE JOKE IS ON YOU GUYS, NOW!!!

orange
02-28-2009, 03:52 PM
THE JOKE IS ON YOU GUYS, NOW!!!

Half a second round pick. :doh!:

I think the joke is on Patriots fans.