PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs theorycraft: Gonzalez & Johnson to Eagles

Saccopoo
02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Sitting here thinking about the last couple of days where Tony and Larry have both come out asking/demanding/pleading/wishing for a trade (Tony wants to go to a contender, and Larry just wants to go anywhere), I thought about what team would be the best fit for both players in a package deal that would allow the Chiefs to maximize the return in such a trade. The team that made the most sense was the Eagles.

The Eagles are, and have been, desperate for a quality tight end for a while now, and would most likely welcome trade talks that involved Tony Gonzalez. The Eagles were also only 22nd in the NFL in the running game, and would like to take some of the load from Westbrook's shoulders. Getting Larry would allow them to use Westbrook in more creative offensive sets and keep him fresh for a long playoff run.

Seeing as how the Eagles are looking at what I would judge as a three year window of opportunity for a potential Super Bowl victory, and seeing how Tony and Larry have potentially three quality years left in their system, it's a nice fit.

Compensation, I would imagine, would be somewhere around a first, third and fifth/sixth and seventh round draft picks. Or potentially, a first, a third and a player, such as OT Winston Justice. Seeing as the Eagles are picking 28th in this years draft, they would be hard pressed to find a player of the level of either Larry or Tony at that spot - a player that would be able to elevate them to the Super Bowl and a victory therein.

The Chiefs are rebuilding and need the picks. The Eagles are a couple of impact players away from winning the Super Bowl. (A strong possession receiving tight end and a short yardage running back are really what they are missing. You can't tell me that Donovan McNabb wouldn't dance a happy dance if he knew he was getting LJ and Tony for next season.)

Just makes too much sense for all parties involved.

blueballs
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I never liked John Madden

NickAthanFan
02-05-2009, 04:43 PM
The Eagles will only offer a conditional 7th rounder for Gonzo and LJ.

The Bad Guy
Tony Gonzalez couldn't fetch a 2nd rounder last year. So you think adding LJ to the deal is going to upgrade it to a 1st, third and a young OT?

Lay off the fucking pipe.

Dicky McElephant
Ummm.....did this really come out of your head?

OnTheWarpath58
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Sitting here thinking

No you weren't, apparently.

ChiefRon
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Chiefs fans overvalue these guys cause they're the only offense we've had.

LJ has zero trade value. Last year best offer for TG was a 4th, the Eagles might give us a 3rd, but doubtful since most folks feel he's only 1 maybe 2 years before retiring.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I am sure the Eagles GM is pondering the same thought

shitgoose
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm sure the Eagles are dying to get LJ seeing how it worked out so well with the last overpriced team cancer they had in Owens.

All in all I give this thread a level 7 fail on a scale of 1-10, 10 being of epic proportions.

HemiEd
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Might as well dream big, or not dream at all.

Crush
02-05-2009, 04:50 PM
You are either drinking too much or not enough.

Saccopoo
I don't know...the Eagles know that they are close, probably more so after the loss to the Cardinals. Do you think a team that is more than willing to slap the franchise tag on a player like tight end LJ Smith isn't willing to up the proverbial ante for a guy like Gonzalez? LJ just sweetens the pot and is a guy they could also use. When you are close, and you know it, like the Eagles are, sometimes one is willing to put a little more on the table than they might otherwise be inclined to do.

alpha_omega
Make that deal....as soon as possible!

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Compensation, I would imagine, would be somewhere around a first, third and fifth/sixth and seventh round draft picks.

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't know...the Eagles know that they are close, probably more so after the loss to the Cardinals. Do you think a team that is more than willing to slap the franchise tag on a player like tight end LJ Smith isn't willing to up the proverbial ante for a guy like Gonzalez? LJ just sweetens the pot and is a guy they could also use. When you are close, and you know it, like the Eagles are, sometimes one is willing to put a little more on the table than they might otherwise be inclined to do.

Dicky McElephant

:spock: The sad thing....is that you actually believe in what you're saying.

Crush
:spock:

pr_capone
02-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Sitting here thinking about the last couple of days where Tony and Larry have both come out asking/demanding/pleading/wishing for a trade (Tony wants to go to a contender, and Larry just wants to go anywhere), I thought about what team would be the best fit for both players in a package deal that would allow the Chiefs to maximize the return in such a trade. The team that made the most sense was the Eagles.

The Eagles are, and have been, desperate for a quality tight end for a while now, and would most likely welcome trade talks that involved Tony Gonzalez. The Eagles were also only 22nd in the NFL in the running game, and would like to take some of the load from Westbrook's shoulders. Getting Larry would allow them to use Westbrook in more creative offensive sets and keep him fresh for a long playoff run.

Seeing as how the Eagles are looking at what I would judge as a three year window of opportunity for a potential Super Bowl victory, and seeing how Tony and Larry have potentially three quality years left in their system, it's a nice fit.

Compensation, I would imagine, would be somewhere around a first, third and fifth/sixth and seventh round draft picks. Or potentially, a first, a third and a player, such as OT Winston Justice. Seeing as the Eagles are picking 28th in this years draft, they would be hard pressed to find a player of the level of either Larry or Tony at that spot - a player that would be able to elevate them to the Super Bowl and a victory therein.

The Chiefs are rebuilding and need the picks. The Eagles are a couple of impact players away from winning the Super Bowl. (A strong possession receiving tight end and a short yardage running back are really what they are missing. You can't tell me that Donovan McNabb wouldn't dance a happy dance if he knew he was getting LJ and Tony for next season.)

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/sll9ky0zj89hoxrsv018.jpg

CoMoChief
02-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Trade em both for OT Shane Andrews and a 3rd rd pick.

OnTheWarpath58
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM

LMAO

Crush
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM

Excellent

Fritz88
02-05-2009, 05:04 PM
LJ and a 4th rounder to NE for Cassel

TG and a 3rd rounder to Giants.

Dicky McElephant
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
LJ and a 4th rounder to NE for Cassel

TG and a 3rd rounder to Giants.

ROFL

Oh wait.....you were being serious. :spock:

Johnny Vegas
02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't think both will go to the same team if traded let alone a team who gets them afford both contracts and give up draft picks.

Skip Towne
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Let's sign Big Ben and that Fitzgerald guy too.

the Talking Can
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM

is that what OJ said right before cutting her head off?

Saccopoo
02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Man, you guys are a bunch of pussies. Has the years of mediocrity and losing just turned you into a bunch of cynical malcontents?

If you don't think that the best tight end in football is worth the 28th pick in the draft to a team that is desperate for a tight end (they franchised LJ Smith for christsake), then perhaps there is no hope for you. Oh, that's right. Brandon Pettigrew might be available for the Eagles at that pick, and I'm sure he's going to be better than Tony Gonzalez right from the start. Because that's what you are saying if you state that they wouldn't be interested in giving up that pick for Gonzalez.

It was midseason when Tony wanted his trade last year. Of course teams are going to lowball the Chiefs on that one. Apples and oranges.

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Man, you guys are a bunch of pussies. Has the years of mediocrity and losing just turned you into a bunch of cynical malcontents?

If you don't think that the best tight end in football is worth the 28th pick in the draft to a team that is desperate for a tight end (they franchised LJ Smith for christsake), then perhaps there is no hope for you. Oh, that's right. Brandon Pettigrew might be available for the Eagles at that pick, and I'm sure he's going to be better than Tony Gonzalez right from the start. Because that's what you are saying if you state that they wouldn't be interested in giving up that pick for Gonzalez.

It was midseason when Tony wanted his trade last year. Of course teams are going to lowball the Chiefs on that one. Apples and oranges.

Man, you're a fucking idiot.

Tony Gonzalez is 32 years old. He is NOT worth a third round choice, let alone the #28 overall.

Larry Johnson will be lucky to garner a sixth round pick. He's been arrested on numerous occasions, has an injury history and will be 30 years old very soon.

MAYBE (and this is just a suggestion), you should pull your head out of your ASS, do a little research to find out on your own that players like Gonzalez and Johnson, both of whom are on the downside of their careers, don't warrant a bevy of draft picks.

That's just a suggestion.

Luke the Drifter
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Brandon Pettigrew might be available for the Eagles at that pick, and I'm sure he's going to be better than Tony Gonzalez right from the start.
Now Mr. Saccogoo sir, how in your mind or anyone else's compare a future HOF TE to a draft pick that has never started a NFL game. You do watch the game right?:Poke:

Saccopoo
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Man, you're a ****ing idiot.

Tony Gonzalez is 32 years old. He is NOT worth a third round choice, let alone the #28 overall.

Larry Johnson will be lucky to garner a sixth round pick. He's been arrested on numerous occasions, has an injury history and will be 30 years old very soon.

MAYBE (and this is just a suggestion), you should pull your head out of your ASS, do a little research to find out on your own that players like Gonzalez and Johnson, both of whom are on the downside of their careers, don't warrant a bevy of draft picks.

That's just a suggestion.

Okay. Here's my research. Saints trade a second and a fifth for Jeremy Shockey, who was coming off a major leg injury, who was a known malcontent, locker room disruption and general douche bag who has never caught more than seven touchdowns in a season, and who has never had more than 891 yards in a season.

And you think that a first (28th overall), a third and a fifth/sixth is a reach for Tony Gonzalez AND Larry Johnson to a team that is desperate for a quality tight end that knows the game and can provide immediate impact?

Maybe it's you who needs to pull his head out of his ass, and quit being such a negative, insulting douchenozzle.

But that's just a suggestion.

huskerdooz
02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I think this is a wonderful idea. As a matter of fact I'm sure Pioli will probably just throw in McIntosh and pick up the Eagles remaining picks in this years draft. No doubt they could use a quality LT/RT to help them in their push for that elusive Super Bowl ring.

theorangelion
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Okay. Here's my research. Saints trade a second and a fifth for Jeremy Shockey, who was coming off a major leg injury, who was a known malcontent, locker room disruption and general douche bag who has never caught more than seven touchdowns in a season, and who has never had more than 891 yards in a season.

And you think that a first (28th overall), a third and a fifth/sixth is a reach for Tony Gonzalez AND Larry Johnson to a team that is desperate for a quality tight end that knows the game and can provide immediate impact?

Maybe it's you who needs to pull his head out of his ass, and quit being such a negative, insulting douchenozzle.

Yeah and Monkeys might Fly out of my Butt. ROFL

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2009, 05:56 PM

No, you're a moron.

Shockey was 27 at the time he was traded, NOT 32.

And by all accounts, the Saints were completely PUNKED by that deal.

And furthermore, Moron, my post has nothing to do with negativity and everything to do with reality.

Fucking MADDEN has ruined these discussions.

JFC on a cockring.

MIAdragon
02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
While the Eagles were all about Tony G at the trade deadline and still may be interested in picking him up this off season I just cant see them taking on the POS that is LJ.

Micjones
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
We'd be lucky to fetch two #4's for the both of them.

No team in their right mind would trade two Day 1 picks for those two players.

MIAdragon
02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
We'd be lucky to fetch two #4's for the both of them.

No team in their right mind would trade two Day 1 picks for those two players.

Dunno I think TG's resurgence on the latter part of last year just may net us a late 3rd. I just cant see anyone trading for LJ, why trade when you can get him for free when he gets cut.

Micjones
02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Dunno I think TG's resurgence on the latter part of last year just may net us a late 3rd. I just cant see anyone trading for LJ, why trade when you can get him for free when he gets cut.

You could be right. We might get a #3 out of Gonzalez.

I wouldn't cut Johnson outright.
He can still play in this league. No way...
I'd get something out of him. At least a 4th Round pick. He's worth that.
IF, the operative word here, he can stay out of trouble he can still contribute.

Saccopoo
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
No, you're a moron.

Shockey was 27 at the time he was traded, NOT 32.

And by all accounts, the Saints were completely PUNKED by that deal.

And furthermore, Moron, my post has nothing to do with negativity and everything to do with reality.

****ing MADDEN has ruined these discussions.

JFC on a cockring.

Wow. Just when I thought you couldn't be a bigger dildo...

You wanted research, you got it. But that wasn't good enough. Or maybe it was, and you are just too stupid and/or stubborn not to accept it. Or do you seriously think that a 27 year old Shockey coming off a major leg injury is a better alternative to a 32 year old Gonzalez coming off one of his best seasons, and thusly, the 2nd and 5th were more justified in the Shockey trade?

And the Saints were, like the Eagles, desperate for that perceived missing piece of the puzzle that might put them over the hurdle and into the Super Bowl. They paid a higher price in order to attain that missing piece. And that's what I've been saying all along and why I suggested the Eagles in the first place. They need a player like Tony, and might be willing to offer up something like I suggested in trade, especially if the Chiefs throw in Larry as part of it.

But, apparently, your intellectual capability, or lack thereof, doesn't allow you to think in a quantitive, hypothetical sense. So you respond in a manner that is representative of your intellect - you insult and call names. Very mature dickwad. No wonder the best thing you can come up with is some half-assed reference to a video game. No, a video game hasn't ruined these discussions. Bad attitudes and an insulting, "know-it-all" demeanor like yours is what ruins these discussions.

Dicky McElephant
02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
So you respond in a manner that is representative of your intellect - you insult and call names. Very mature dickwad.

I found this funny.

Micjones
02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I found this funny.

Me too... "Dickwad?"

Hilarious.

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow. Just when I thought you couldn't be a bigger dildo...

You wanted research, you got it. But that wasn't good enough. Or maybe it was, and you are just too stupid and/or stubborn not to accept it. Or do you seriously think that a 27 year old Shockey coming off a major leg injury is a better alternative to a 32 year old Gonzalez coming off one of his best seasons, and thusly, the 2nd and 5th were more justified in the Shockey trade?

And the Saints were, like the Eagles, desperate for that perceived missing piece of the puzzle that might put them over the hurdle and into the Super Bowl. They paid a higher price in order to attain that missing piece. And that's what I've been saying all along and why I suggested the Eagles in the first place. They need a player like Tony, and might be willing to offer up something like I suggested in trade, especially if the Chiefs throw in Larry as part of it.

But, apparently, your intellectual capability, or lack thereof, doesn't allow you to think in a quantitive, hypothetical sense. So you respond in a manner that is representative of your intellect - you insult and call names. Very mature dickwad. No wonder the best thing you can come up with is some half-assed reference to a video game. No, a video game hasn't ruined these discussions. Bad attitudes and an insulting, "know-it-all" demeanor like yours is what ruins these discussions.

ROFL

Nice try.

Walk into an AIDS tree.

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
So you respond in a manner that is representative of your intellect - you insult and call names. Very mature dickwad.

Stick around.

I can be a lot more "mature".

LiL stumppy
02-05-2009, 06:21 PM
The Eagles wont pay two star RB's the money they both will want. Wont happen.

Saccopoo
02-05-2009, 06:34 PM
ROFL

Nice try.

Walk into an AIDS tree.

Wow. You are the master of the witty retort. Stunning. I think Lewis Black should re-write his whole act and steal this gem of sarcastic comedy. How long did it take you to come up with that? "Walk into an AIDS tree." Fucking classic! That's so funny! And yet poignant at the same time. Not only does it provide a look into the homophobic subconscious of American middle class culture, it addresses, on a very subtle level, the needs of the global human society in both the medical and environmental fields. Your wit and insight is near endless I fear, so I yield to you good sir. Please spare me from your literary acumen. I can only begin to imagine what could follow if I chose to continue this exchange, although I don't doubt that they would pale in comparison to your now legendary "Walk into an AIDS tree."

Micjones
02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow. You are the master of the witty retort. Stunning. I think Lewis Black should re-write his whole act and steal this gem of sarcastic comedy. How long did it take you to come up with that? "Walk into an AIDS tree." Fucking classic! That's so funny! And yet poignant at the same time. Not only does it provide a look into the homophobic subconscious of American middle class culture, it addresses, on a very subtle level, the needs of the global human society in both the medical and environmental fields. Your wit and insight is near endless I fear, so I yield to you good sir. Please spare me from your literary acumen. I can only begin to imagine what could follow if I chose to continue this exchange, although I don't doubt that they would pale in comparison to your now legendary "Walk into an AIDS tree."

*floor*

bevis369
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah and Monkeys might Fly out of my Butt.

ROFL:clap:

And my butt sings show tunes too...:fart:nlm

rad
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
ROFL

Nice try.

Walk into an AIDS tree.

ROFL.....you're such a dick.....but it's funny just so long as you're not being a dick to me.

blueballs
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
research Eagle trades
and overpaying

Saccopoo
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
The Eagles wont pay two star RB's the money they both will want. Wont happen.

I'm assuming that the Chiefs are going to have to eat a big part of Larry's contract in any potential trade. But it would be a waste not to get something out of him.

The next coach is going to have to do a remarkable job with Larry if we can't get anything respectable for him in terms of either draft picks or players. Coming out like he did and asking for a trade, it's going to be an awkward and uncomfortable locker room to start the season if he's still on the roster.

I just thought that packaging Tony and Larry together might yield better results in a trade versus shopping them individually.

Ari Chi3fs
02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Ummm.....did this really come out of your head?

Nick Athan actually reported this...

THE DEAL IS DONE!

FAX
02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Wow. You are the master of the witty retort. Stunning. I think Lewis Black should re-write his whole act and steal this gem of sarcastic comedy. How long did it take you to come up with that? "Walk into an AIDS tree." ****ing classic! That's so funny! And yet poignant at the same time. Not only does it provide a look into the homophobic subconscious of American middle class culture, it addresses, on a very subtle level, the needs of the global human society in both the medical and environmental fields. Your wit and insight is near endless I fear, so I yield to you good sir. Please spare me from your literary acumen. I can only begin to imagine what could follow if I chose to continue this exchange, although I don't doubt that they would pale in comparison to your now legendary "Walk into an AIDS tree."

Dang. I don't know what it means, but ... dang. Glad to see you posting, Mr. Saccogoo (if that's your real name). As for Mr. DaneMcCloud, don't worry. You're not the first peep he's attacked for little or no reason.

I think the idea of packaging players with the idea of putting together some kind of "Superdeal" with another team is, frankly, brilliant. Perhaps, along with LJ and Gonzo, we can package about 7 or 8 other guys. With any luck, we can send them all to Detroit, get about 40 draft picks in return, and improve our team and theirs in one fell swoop.

FAX

Crush
02-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Let it be known that it was this exact thread that inspired the creation of The Stupid Thread.

Crush
02-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Dang. I don't know what it means, but ... dang. Glad to see you posting, Mr. Saccogoo (if that's your real name). As for Mr. DaneMcCloud, don't worry. You're not the first peep he's attacked for little or no reason.

I think the idea of packaging players with the idea of putting together some kind of "Superdeal" with another team is, frankly, brilliant. Perhaps, along with LJ and Gonzo, we can package about 7 or 8 other guys. With any luck, we can send them all to Detroit, get about 40 draft picks in return, and improve our team and theirs in one fell swoop.

FAX

LMAO

You are a king among men, Mr. FAX.

plbrdude
02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Might as well dream big, or not dream at all.

good point.

milkman
02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Further proof that we, as a fanbase, have the TE position way over valued.

HemiEd
02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Dunno I think TG's resurgence on the latter part of last year just may net us a late 3rd. I just cant see anyone trading for LJ, why trade when you can get him for free when he gets cut. good take, I agree. Players don't always die a miserable death at 30 like Dane seems to think. Tony just had a great season, with no sign of slowing down.

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
good take, I agree. Players don't always die a miserable death at 30 like Dane seems to think. Tony just had a great season, with no sign of slowing down.

Running backs historically do not perform well after the age of 30. I would be absolutely shocked if the Chiefs got anything more than a conditional 5th for LJ and even that would be surprising. Given the fact that former MVP Shaun Alexander couldn't find a home this past offseason, anyone who thinks that LJ is worth anything more than a 5th (really, a 6th) is over-estimating his value.

As for Gonzalez, he is an anomaly. But as we saw this past season, he only garnered interest in a 3rd round pick. And for all we know, that was a bottom of the 3rd, certainly no where near the value the thread starter is suggesting.

HemiEd
02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Running backs historically do not perform well after the age of 30. I would be absolutely shocked if the Chiefs got anything more than a conditional 5th for LJ and even that would be surprising. Given the fact that former MVP Shaun Alexander couldn't find a home this past offseason, anyone who thinks that LJ is worth anything more than a 5th (really, a 6th) is over-estimating his value.

As for Gonzalez, he is an anomaly. But as we saw this past season, he only garnered interest in a 3rd round pick. And for all we know, that was a bottom of the 3rd, certainly no where near the value the thread starter is suggesting.OH I totally agree the thread starter is dreaming, and said so. But, to undervalue the two players is no different, especially Tony, IMO.
The thread starter made a good point about starting out the season with a player on the roster and acquiring him mid-season.

You have to admit Dane, you have become pretty focused on age nearing thirty. I actually think a lot of these players peak then.

And being totally objective, LJ is a throw in the pot to sweeten the deal player. He is just too much of a gamble with his attitude. So packaging him may be the only shot to get anything for him.

bevis369
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Share whatever the heck you are smoking so we all can be on the same page...:bong:ROFL

Skip Towne
02-05-2009, 09:14 PM
After watching TO, Moss, LJ, et al destroy teams I would have no tolerance for "attitude" if I were a GM.

bevis369
02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Are we sure that king carl didn't post this...

milkman
02-05-2009, 09:18 PM
OH I totally agree the thread starter is dreaming, and said so. But, to undervalue the two players is no different, especially Tony, IMO.
The thread starter made a good point about starting out the season with a player on the roster and acquiring him mid-season.

You have to admit Dane, you have become pretty focused on age nearing thirty. I actually think a lot of these players peak then.

And being totally objective, LJ is a throw in the pot to sweeten the deal player. He is just too much of a gamble with his attitude. So packaging him may be the only shot to get anything for him.

Joe Montana at the age of 33 netted a first round pick.

Are we to believe that Tony has the same value?

Darth CarlSatan
02-05-2009, 09:19 PM
JFC on a cockring.

ROFL

bevis369
02-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Then Brodie a 2nd or a 3rd then...LMAO

Darth CarlSatan
02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I bet we could get a bucket of warm piss for Studebaker!

Schwing!

bevis369
02-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Or a crockpot if we are lucky...

Darth CarlSatan
02-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Or a crockpot if we are lucky...

Let's really clamp down, bargain hard, and go for the wheel barrel of cow patties too!

EyePod
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Chiefs fans overvalue these guys cause they're the only offense we've had.

LJ has zero trade value. Last year best offer for TG was a 4th, the Eagles might give us a 3rd, but doubtful since most folks feel he's only 1 maybe 2 years before retiring.

Didn't we have a trade for a 3rd setup with GB, and then CP tried to make it a 2nd at the last second?

Darth CarlSatan
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Didn't we have a trade for a 3rd setup with GB, and then CP tried to make it a 2nd at the last second?

Yep.

Smed1065
02-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Man this place is slack! I am old but a post like this even last year would be red rep! At least.