PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Rate your satisfaction with the Haley hire

Count Zarth
02-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Which one of you is going to start Haley Haters?

Sam Hall
02-05-2009, 11:06 PM
I can live with it because Pioli is making the personnel decisions.

beavis
02-05-2009, 11:06 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE

Huffman83
02-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm actually indifferent! Everything I read looks good...but my gripe is the lack of experience as a coordinator.

I can deal w/ a 1st year HC. But I'd at least want them to have some more years designing a teams offense or defense.

But this may be a completely fresh perspective! I just don't want to see a completely offensive minded coach who could give a shit about the D.

Stinger
02-05-2009, 11:08 PM
If I had to vote it would not be listed above but I would say I am cautiously optimistic

Reerun_KC
02-05-2009, 11:10 PM
As long as it wasnt anything to do with Cowher, Marty, Carl or any other fucking reject that the true fans were "sold on"... I didnt want anything to do with it...

I want someone that wants to win, has the drive to win and will more than likely pick a QB with the 3rd over all pick. Just to piss off those people that are scared shitless... Maybe just maybe they will kill themselves and we can move on with a goal to win championships...

Good days ahead for the Chiefs...

Count Zarth
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
As long as it wasnt anything to do with Cowher, Marty, Carl or any other fucking reject that the true fans were "sold on"... I didnt want anything to do with it...

I want someone that wants to win, has the drive to win and will more than likely pick a QB with the 3rd over all pick. Just to piss off those people that are scared shitless... Maybe just maybe they will kill themselves and we can move on with a goal to win championships...

Good days ahead for the Chiefs...

Praise Jesus.

I don't think this site could take another three years of head-coach hatred from Reerun.

KCCHIEFS27
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll openly admit, I'm less than thrilled about this hiring. With that said, I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm pessimistic about it happening.

Woodrow Call
02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
I've got a good feeling about this. This hire strikes me as one a team like Baltimore would make but the old Chiefs never would have made.

Reerun_KC
02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Praise Jesus.

I don't think this site could take another three years of head-coach hatred from Reerun.

Or anymore Damon Huard is god and I want to have his childern from Claythan....

:LOL:

Fruit Ninja
02-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I'll openly admit, I'm less than thrilled about this hiring. With that said, I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm pessimistic about it happening.

eh, its good to start somewhere fresh. They are giving a first time guy a chance to do something special.

I am pleased, then again, i would be ok with anyone they really hired as sometimes coaches just have to be put into the right situtation.

Count Zarth
02-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Or anymore Damon Huard is god and I want to have his childern from Claythan....

:LOL:

Let's not get too hasty. Pioli knows the talents of Damon Huard from their time together in New England. He is sure to keep him on as our backup. I see Huard coming off the bench in the playoffs at some point and leading a key drive en route to our championship run.

Reerun_KC
02-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Let's not get too hasty. Pioli knows the talents of Damon Huard from their time together in New England. He is sure to keep him on as our backup. I see Huard coming off the bench in the playoffs at some point and leading a key drive en route to our championship run.

LMAO

Keep the Faith Claythan...

Huffman83
02-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I've got a good feeling about this. This hire strikes me as one a team like Baltimore would make but the old Chiefs never would have made.

I agree...this at least isn't a "buddy system." move like Edwards was. This is fresh blood all around.

Let's hope it works!

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Love the hire. In Pioli I trust.

KCCHIEFS27
02-05-2009, 11:17 PM
I agree...this at least isn't a "buddy system." move like Edwards was. This is fresh blood all around.

Let's hope it works!

Uhh, he was in New York with Pioli...

OnTheWarpath58
02-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Well, Pioli saved me some money this year. There were two people we could have hired to keep me from getting season tickets, and we just pulled the trigger on one of them. (Gailey was the other)

I personally think this was a "everyone else is spoken for, so I'll ask the ugliest girl to dance so I'm not alone" type hire. All that was left was Haley or Chan Gailey. Tough decision.

I'll back Haley and the team 100%, just like I have for 30 years - and I'll hope like hell I'm wrong. I'll gladly eat a double serving of crow the day Clark hunt is presented the trophy that bears his father's name.

SNR
02-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Well, Pioli saved me some money this year. There were two people we could have hired to keep me from getting season tickets, and we just pulled the trigger on one of them. (Gailey was the other)

I personally think this was a "everyone else is spoken for, so I'll ask the ugliest girl to dance so I'm not alone" type hire. All that was left was Haley or Chan Gailey. Tough decision.

I'll back Haley and the team 100%, just like I have for 30 years - and I'll hope like hell I'm wrong. I'll gladly eat a double serving of crow the day Clark hunt is presented the trophy that bears his father's name.Who did YOU want that we could have hired at this point?

Shaid
02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
If I had to vote it would not be listed above but I would say I am cautiously optimistic

This.

Huffman83
02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Uhh, he was in New York with Pioli...

Okay what I mean is....he wasn't Carls buddy!

beach tribe
02-05-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm actually indifferent! Everything I read looks good...but my gripe is the lack of experience as a coordinator.

I can deal w/ a 1st year HC. But I'd at least want them to have some more years designing a teams offense or defense.

But this may be a completely fresh perspective! I just don't want to see a completely offensive minded coach who could give a shit about the D.

I hope they hire good people, and he let's his coaches do their jobs. If Gailey is retained, he should let him do his thing, and likewise with the DC.

Huffman83
02-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I think I'm more concerned who the Defensive coordinator will be. Any clues yet?

beach tribe
02-05-2009, 11:25 PM

I'll back Haley and the team 100%, just like I have for 30 years - and I'll hope like hell I'm wrong. I'll gladly eat a double serving of crow the day Clark hunt is presented the trophy that bears his father's name.

I disagree. I think Pioli has bee targeting this guy from the get go.

Mecca
02-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Coordinator experience has very little to do with having what it takes to be a head coach, go look at Mike Tomlins resume.

KCCHIEFS27
02-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Okay what I mean is....he wasn't Carls buddy!

Ha, okay, I can handle that!

Thig Lyfe
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Absolutely love it. Haley, unlike Herm, knows how to come up with a gameplan. He also doesn't baby his players, but rather pushes them and maximizes their potential (I believe that his OC work is what really enabled Fitzgerald to emerge as the best WR in the league this season). I think he can do the same with Bowe.

He represents a total break with the past and that's what I'm happiest about.

Thig Lyfe
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Coordinator experience has very little to do with having what it takes to be a head coach, go look at Mike Tomlins resume.

Look at Herm's.

Dayze
02-05-2009, 11:31 PM

I'm in the same boat.

I don't necessarily believe he was Piloi's first choice, but we shall never know.

Regardless, with the fall of the previous regime (Carl), I'm willing to give Piloi a lot of 'leash' these next 5 years.

Had this been a Carl hire...well, then I would have automatically thought the guy was a bad hire.:D

Woodrow Call
02-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I disagree. I think Pioli has bee targeting this guy from the get go.

This

IMO Pioli isn't someone who gets caught with his pants down on his first coaching hire. If he wanted Spags, Schwartz, etc he would have fired Herm instantly and got them.

Mecca
02-05-2009, 11:35 PM
I hope they hire good people, and he let's his coaches do their jobs. If Gailey is retained, he should let him do his thing, and likewise with the DC.

Something tells me Chan Gailey isn't going to be here now...hell I'd be surprised if any coaches from last year were back.

Craqhead
02-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Woo wOOt we got a new Coach.

OnTheWarpath58
02-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Something tells me Chan Gailey isn't going to be here now...hell I'd be surprised if any coaches from last year were back.

If he fires every coach from the old staff, he'll score some major points with me.

Reerun_KC
02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
If he fires every coach from the old staff, he'll score some major points with me.

Pretty much! I dont want anything regardless of whom they were left...

Just are infected with Carl and Herms dumbassery... They need to be purged and moved on...

blueballs
02-05-2009, 11:47 PM
wait and see

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm in the "I trust Pioli until he gives me reason not to" mode so if he thinks Haley is the best coach to win championships with, I'm not going to argue. It's a gamble with any first time coach...

JuicesFlowing
02-06-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm optimistic about the hire. It's going to be exciting to watch the Chiefs next season. This has been the best offseason that I can remember, and we haven't even acquired any free agents or drafted anyone yet! I'm not so excited about Chan Gailey though.

Phog Allen
02-06-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't have time to read every thread and track every opinion, but IMO if you like the hiring of Pioli than you have to give a chance to his choice for HC.

ChiefRon
02-06-2009, 12:46 AM
At least we won't be running a college offense next year.

FAX
02-06-2009, 12:47 AM

Hmmm. I'm sorry you feel that way, Mr. OnTheWarpath58. Is it possible that you are experiencing some latent Carlitis? We have no reason to believe (because there's no evidence to support the theory) that Pioli chose Haley because he was "the best of the rest". In fact, based on all we know about Pioli, he wouldn't just "settle" for somebody. If he wanted Spags, for example, Spags could have held off on taking another job merely on Pioli's word. And the fact is that we've "been there and done that" with retired SB coaches.

Anyhow, we both know that much depends on who Haley selects as his coordinators and assistants. And, even though it may take a couple of seasons to get all the bodies in place, we should begin to see indications of how the team will be run fairly soon.

Meanwhile, there is far more reason to be positive than there is to be negative about this hire. 1) It isn't Herm. 2) It isn't a retiree. 3) It isn't a proven loser. 4) It isn't a "safe", political choice. The fact is that Clark said he wants to win and every decision that he's made so far has been consistent with that stated desire. Fans of this franchise have been trained to be skeptical, cautious, and pessimistic and it's going to take some time to adjust to the new Chiefs.

FAX

Count Zarth
02-06-2009, 12:51 AM
We have no reason to believe (because there's no evidence to support the theory) that Pioli chose Haley because he was "the best of the rest".

Actually, we do. I'll get flamed for this, but I think OTWP shares my opinion - that the Chiefs went after Shanahan and Cowher.

I can't think of anyone else, outside McDaniels, that OTWP might have been coveting. I don't believe Pioli ever had a SHRED of interest in Spagnuolo.

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2009, 12:53 AM
The best thing for me is Thig probably will not be starting this fall...

BigRock
02-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I'll get flamed for this, but I think OTWP shares my opinion - that the Chiefs went after Shanahan and Cowher.

Why, did you send him PMs repeating the stuff Nick was spreading?

Mecca
02-06-2009, 12:55 AM

No shit, but Thigpen is a godlike figure on the other forums.

JuicesFlowing
02-06-2009, 12:56 AM

The Chiefs have 4 QBs they can get rid of. Actually 3. Martin, Huard, Croyle. Grey and Thigpen can compete for 3rd string.

Count Zarth
02-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Why, did you send him PMs repeating the stuff Nick was spreading?

That's already been established. You are of the opinion that Shanahan and Cowher were never in play?

JuicesFlowing
02-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Actually, without the spread, Thigpen might not even fit as a 3rd stringer, so nevermind.

Mecca
02-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Actually, without the spread, Thigpen might not even fit as a 3rd stringer, so nevermind.

I can't wait to read either here or somewhere else how it is unfair to Thigpen to stop running the spread.

It's going to happen I guarantee it.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-06-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm satisfied. I just hope he gets rid of Gailey.

I would be happy with Haley being the head coach and the offensive coordinator. He might as well be, because we all know Haley will be calling his own plays.

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm satisfied. I just hope he gets rid of Gailey.

I would be happy with Haley being the head coach and the offensive coordinator. He might as well be, because we all know Haley will be calling his own plays.

I'd rather he didn't. He should have major input into the gameplan and how things unfold on gameday and working on adjustments, but frankly I've seen more often than not playcalling detract from the overall effectiveness of a head coach, and by year two or so they end up handing off the playcalling to someone else. Just as Wisenhunt didn't call his own plays in the second year in Zona and focused on the team, Haley should hire someone talented to do the playcalling and focus on coaching, IE kicking Dwayne Bowe's ass every time he drops a pass...

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 01:23 AM
What'll be interesting is seeing who between McDaniels and Haley ends up becoming the better head coach long term. Certainly McDaniels is inheriting the better team, but you've got two young coordinators who both were Super Bowl runner ups the past couple of season who led offenses with some excellent receivers and QB play taking over franchises in the AFC West.

We're gonna watch some real fun gunslinging football games the next few years...

BigRock
02-06-2009, 01:31 AM
That's already been established. You are of the opinion that Shanahan and Cowher were never in play?

If we assume they were in play, the bigger question is why were they.

It's easy to see why Clark would be interested. Both guys are big name coaches who have reached the mountain top. In hiring Cowher or Shanahan, Clark would know he was getting his team a proven leader.

But from Pioli's perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense. We know Pioli wants to develop the same GM/coach partnership he had with Belichick. He said as much. But Cowher and Shanahan aren't just coaches, they're "I want full control" type guys. Why would Pioli target someone like that, someone who ran things his own way for over 10 years, someone who doesn't want to answer to anyone, to be his partner?

If we assume they were in play, I can see some contact being made to scratch Clark's itch. But do I think Pioli had his fingers crossed that one of them would come to KC? I would doubt that.

FAX
02-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Actually, we do. I'll get flamed for this, but I think OTWP shares my opinion - that the Chiefs went after Shanahan and Cowher.

I can't think of anyone else, outside McDaniels, that OTWP might have been coveting. I don't believe Pioli ever had a SHRED of interest in Spagnuolo.

Uh. Did I get this right? The evidence that Haley wasn't Pioli's first choice is that you think he went after Rizzo and Chinny?

Is that right?

FAX

ChiefsCountry
02-06-2009, 01:36 AM
To be honest I wasnt at first impressed with Haley but the more research I did on him, the more I liked him. I think we got the right guy IMO.

Count Zarth
02-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Uh. Did I get this right? The evidence that Haley wasn't Pioli's first choice is that you think he went after Rizzo and Chinny?

Is that right?

FAX

Yes, Mr. FAX.

FAX
02-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Allow me to interrupt this conversation with a brief effort to keep the discussion as Socratic as possible. "Ahem". The fact that Pioli might have interviewed several candidates and hired one from that group doesn't necessarily mean that the other candidates were preferred. Quite the opposite. The fact that Haley was hired is evidence prima facie that he was the preferred candidate out of all that were interviewed.

Please continue.

FAX

FAX
02-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, Mr. FAX.

This is the first time since I've known you, Mr. GoChiefs, that I am honestly and most sincerely concerned for your mental health.

Do you have friends? I mean, real ones outside of the internet?

FAX

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Allow me to interrupt this conversation with a brief effort to keep the discussion as Socratic as possible. "Ahem". The fact that Pioli might have interviewed several candidates and hired one from that group doesn't necessarily mean that the other candidates were preferred. Quite the opposite. The fact that Haley was hired is evidence prima facie that he was the preferred candidate out of all that were interviewed.

Please continue.

FAX

That would be my impression as well, otherwise why wait so long, why (reportedly) have him look to get assistant coaches in place as early as two weeks ago, why hold on to certain staff members and let others go? It's obvious now that he was just waiting for the Super Bowl to end. Pioli certainly wasn't in a rush to land the Chiefs job so he could make sure he brought McDaniels here, and he certainly wasn't in a rush to hire any of the other candidates that were out there once he got the job.

You might argue that Pioli's No 1 choice could have been Kirk Ferentz, but he was told that Ferentz wasn't ready to leave Iowa, so he goes after Haley. But the other guys, Shanarat, Chin, while they sound exciting because they've won some Super Bowls and with them you know what you are getting, they have egos that probably would have a hard time accepting non-final say over personnel. A lot of people may have wanted it to make sense, but it probably didn't in the real world for whatever reason. So Haley it is, and we'll see if he can handle it...

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Absolutely love it. He would've been my second choice all offseason behind Steve Spagnuolo, and honestly I'm not sure Pioli wanted Spags and therefore I'm even happier with Haley.

the Talking Can
02-06-2009, 04:12 AM

god you are world class farce

the Talking Can
02-06-2009, 04:13 AM
how could anyone not be stoked??

because someone gave you some fake info that we hired Shanahan? really?

wake up people....

TIME TO WAKE UP

blaise
02-06-2009, 04:27 AM
I'll put the over/under on a Whitlock "Fire Haley" article at November 30, 2009.

Fritz88
02-06-2009, 04:36 AM

Dude, I think you have used this reply template 27 times so far ROFL

MahiMike
02-06-2009, 06:22 AM
I was pulling for Shanahan but since he's of the offensive mindset, I'm good with it. Plus, he's not a retread.

Haley's Comets?

Von Dumbass
02-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Haley has his work cut out for him here thats for sure. There is not one Larry Fitzgerald, Boldin, or offensive line on the Chiefs. Bowe could be a freak if he can fix his dropsies.

I am just ecstatic that Shefter pwnd Mort on that Shanahan story.LMAO

soopamanluva
02-06-2009, 06:26 AM
im cool with it. now lets get some players in here to make everyone look like geniuses.
Posted via Mobile Device

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 06:28 AM
we will know a little better, once he hires the Def staff.

old_geezer
02-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Actually my feelings would be a combination of 1 and 2. He wasn't my first choice but I am extremely satisfied with the hire. I'm backing Pioli all the way.

King_Chief_Fan
02-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Which one of you is going to start Haley Haters?

I would guess you or Whitlock. Of course you will change your mind 15 times so we probably won't pay much attention to what you think

luv
02-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Does this mean everyone will change those retarded looking Shanahan avatars?

ChiTown
02-06-2009, 06:40 AM
He's better than a kick in the marbles (read: Herm), so.........

Chief Faithful
02-06-2009, 07:23 AM
How can anyone make any judgements at this time he is one big unknown? But it is interesting to see that Haley's background outside NFL coaching is golf.

Pioli has said he wants the entire organization from top to bottom to be of one mind working in the same direction. It will be interesting to see what Haley brings to the team.

talastan
02-06-2009, 07:29 AM
The hire was the best option IMO. You have a fresh start, a fresh set of eyes to evaluate this team, and a completely unbiased person to lead this team. No "special relationship" w/ players. Just a guy who wants to win and will do his best to field the best 53 players to play as a team. Not just an LJ or Tony featured team, but hopefully a complete team.

talastan
02-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Does this mean everyone will change those retarded looking Shanahan avatars?

Yes PLEASE no more RAT!!:(

theorangelion
02-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Wasn't my first pick but now that he is a Chief I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I want to see his DC.:)

BigChiefFan
02-06-2009, 07:31 AM
This is exactly the type of coach we needed. A young, up and comer, who has had some success and worked with some of the brightest minds in football and also won't take any shit from the players. I'm pleased.

BigRichard
02-06-2009, 07:38 AM

It's easy to see why Clark would be interested. Both guys are big name coaches who have reached the mountain top. In hiring Cowher or Shanahan, Clark would know he was getting his team a proven leader.

But from Pioli's perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense. We know Pioli wants to develop the same GM/coach partnership he had with Belichick. He said as much. But Cowher and Shanahan aren't just coaches, they're "I want full control" type guys. Why would Pioli target someone like that, someone who ran things his own way for over 10 years, someone who doesn't want to answer to anyone, to be his partner?

If we assume they were in play, I can see some contact being made to scratch Clark's itch. But do I think Pioli had his fingers crossed that one of them would come to KC? I would doubt that.

This

Rain Man
02-06-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm thrilled with the hire. It basically means that we have completely ended the nepotism and cronyism of the Peterson era, and we didn't just go the retread route that so many other teams employ. Is it a roll of the dice? Yes. But I think that's the best way to get yourself a chance at a Super Bowl. Wade Phillips and Norv Turner and all those other retreads are placeholders by teams that are scared to take a risk.

Duck Dog
02-06-2009, 07:57 AM
I picked satisfied because the only other coach I wanted was Cowher and I knew that wasn't going to happen. I am optimistic about both the new GM and coach. A new era has officially arrived and I'm going to start by being excited again about Chiefs football.

Lzen
02-06-2009, 07:58 AM
I am very pleased. Now can all the dumb asses with the Shanahan wearing a Chiefs hat avatars please remove them? :shake:

Duck Dog
02-06-2009, 08:02 AM
I am very pleased. Now can all the dumb asses with the Shanahan wearing a Chiefs hat avatars please remove them? :shake:

Thank God I have avatars turned off.

Donger
02-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm still holding out for Shanahan.

Red Brooklyn
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM
For me, there's no reason to not be excited about this. It's something new. I can't wait to see what happens, and God I hope it works. Let's get to work!

Craqhead
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM

I dont think he had a shred of interest in the Ratt or Cowher. They both want control. Total control. There's not one shred of evidence saying that Piolo wants too work w/ either of them. Same can be said of Spags.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Meh ..... i don't see how anyone can be particularly happy or mad about this hire.

he hasn't proven shit ...... hasn't fucked up either

:shrug:

if he wasn't boning Bill Parcell's daughter, would he have this job?

good luck to him

Craqhead
02-06-2009, 08:09 AM

This!!! I guess I should of kept reading.

Bweb
02-06-2009, 08:25 AM
He seems bright and very hungry and is not a retread. I am good with this hire. :clap:

Fish
02-06-2009, 08:39 AM

This. Times 100.

The signing is sparking hope in all the glitter-eyed fans wanting nothing but circus offense. But when it comes down to it, Haley has little to get me excited over. Teams with Warner, Fitzgerald, and Bolden are going to make any OC look competent. And our defense is still currently in total shambles, with no leadership in place. We have no idea what type of scheme we're going to run. And we're putting all that in the hands of an offensive guy who's claim to fame was designing whacky secret plays for the best WR in the league and one of the most productive vet QBs in the league.

Ultra Peanut
02-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Eh. Let's see.

HemiEd
02-06-2009, 08:42 AM
After suffering through three years of Herm's total destruction of this franchise, I feel like they just hired the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 08:46 AM
omg ..... now i actually seeing some people suggesting that the options the Chiefs had were limited.

ironically some of these same people were calling people "stupid" for being worry about the coaching search taking so long.

"chicken little" was the phrase, i believe

hypocritics :shake:

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
This. Times 100.

The signing is sparking hope in all the glitter-eyed fans wanting nothing but circus offense. But when it comes down to it, Haley has little to get me excited over. Teams with Warner, Fitzgerald, and Bolden are going to make any OC look competent. And our defense is still currently in total shambles, with no leadership in place. We have no idea what type of scheme we're going to run. And we're putting all that in the hands of an offensive guy who's claim to fame was designing whacky secret plays for the best WR in the league and one of the most productive vet QBs in the league.

Here's where you're going wrong.

Pioli will have a lot to say about who coaches the defense and, more importantly, who PLAYS on it.

Not directed at you necessarily, but people are quite uneducated about Haley. He's an "offensive guy," yes, but he's also a FOOTBALL guy, with good bloodlines and a good repuation in the league. What did you think about Arizona hiring Ken Whisenhunt, he of no defensive expertise? Mike Tomlin, he of little offensive background?

Haley won't be coaching the defense. He and Pioli will find a guy who CAN, and I'd bet will do it well. They'll also scout defensive talent better than any regime in the last decade has done in KC.

Tiger's Fan
02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Meh ..... i don't see how anyone can be particularly happy or mad about this hire.

he hasn't proven shit ...... hasn't ****ed up either

:shrug:

if he wasn't boning Bill Parcell's daughter, would he have this job?

good luck to him

Uh, I believe it's Pioli that is boning Parcells daughter.

BigChiefFan
02-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I love that he has been a coach of some of the best offensive teams where ever he's gone. He's got a good track record and his players respect him.

Also, he's the son of the architect of the 70's Steelers dynasty and it certainly is very encouraging, that we have the best of both worlds-a coach who understands X's and O's AND player personnel. Add to that, his coaching resume with Bellichek, Parcells, Whisenhunt, etc. and we may have a diamond in the rough.

I'm pleased with the hire.

Tiger's Fan
02-06-2009, 08:52 AM
This. Times 100.

If I'm not mistaken, these players have been in place for a few years now without the success that they had with Haley in charge of the offense FOR ONE FUCKING YEAR! I'd guess either the previous OC wasn't as innovative as Haley has proven to be in his short time with them, or these same players improved quite a bit in a short period of time. I'm leaning towards the former.

bevis369
02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
too soon to tell, no staff in place, no off season, no draft let's see what Haley and Pioli cook up.

:popcorn:

raypec85
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Haley has his work cut out for him here thats for sure. There is not one Larry Fitzgerald, Boldin, or offensive line on the Chiefs. Bowe could be a freak if he can fix his dropsies.

The Cards didn't have that great of an o-line either. I'd rather have Brandon Albert than Mike Gandy, that's for sure.

Mark M
02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm with the "I can live with it crowd" for now, as I'm not sure if having players yell at a coach shows a lack of respect for that coach, or that he's great at getting players fired up and passionate about the game.

I am also waiting to see what kind of staff he assembles -- that'll say a lot about his philosophy and where he wants to take the team

I do, however, believe this just increased our chances of drafting Crabtree if we keep the pick -- he'll be the BPA, and we all saw how much Haley loved him some Fitzgerald.

MM
~~:shrug:

bevis369
02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
:Poke::moon::fart::Bartee:%(/:fire::homer:PBJ

BigChiefFan
02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm with the "I can live with it crowd" for now, as I'm not sure if having players yell at a coach shows a lack of respect for that coach, or that he's great at getting players fired up and passionate about the game.

I am also waiting to see what kind of staff he assembles -- that'll say a lot about his philosophy and where he wants to take the team

I do, however, believe this just increased our chances of drafting Crabtree if we keep the pick -- he'll be the BPA, and we all saw how much Haley loved him some Fitzgerald.

MM
~~:shrug:

Actually, that in your face approach was learned from Bellichek himself. Haley worked with BB in New York and said he really hated that approach,in the beginning. but now understand why Bellick coaches that way.

Fish
02-06-2009, 09:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken, these players have been in place for a few years now without the success that they had with Haley in charge of the offense FOR ONE ****ING YEAR! I'd guess either the previous OC wasn't as innovative as Haley has proven to be in his short time with them, or these same players improved quite a bit in a short period of time. I'm leaning towards the former.

Are you saying that Fitzgerald and Boldin weren't productive until this year? What the hell are you smoking, because that's most certainly not the case... Boldin was actually more productive before Haley arrived. And Fitzgerald maintained the same level of production.

Fitzgerald (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5528)has had over 1400 receiving yards 3 out of the last 4 seasons.
Boldin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4512) has had over 1000 receiving yards 4 out of the last 6 seasons.

Take a look at the stats in the links, and you'll see.

They both have done nothing more than they've always done before Haley ever got to them. If not for the unsuccessful Matt Leinert experiment, which Haley was also a part of, they would have had even more success. Haley didn't magically make them better. They were just as productive before Haley arrived. They just didn't have Warner's veteran leadership to get them deep in the playoffs.

FAX
02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow. I hate to see you so down on this hire, Mr. KC Fish.

I think a lot of us have been trained as Chief fans to expect the worst no matter what happens. But, times are changing, peep. Have faith.

FAX

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Uh, I believe it's Pioli that is boning Parcells daughter.
hmm ... isn't Haley boning somebody's daughter(in the NFL)

i though he was somebody's son-in-law?

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken, these players have been in place for a few years now without the success that they had with Haley in charge of the offense FOR ONE FUCKING YEAR! I'd guess either the previous OC wasn't as innovative as Haley has proven to be in his short time with them, or these same players improved quite a bit in a short period of time. I'm leaning towards the former.they didn't just change the OC though .... they changed the entire staff at the same time.

but hey .... maybe it was Haley, i got nothing against the guy.

FAX
I hope that Haley isn't boning Parcell's daughter. Not a good way to start off. Getting shot by your GM and all.

FAX

Brock
hmm ... isn't Haley boning somebody's daughter(in the NFL)

i though he was somebody's son-in-law?

His dad has been in the league for decades.

Fish
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Wow. I hate to see you so down on this hire, Mr. KC Fish.

I think a lot of us have been trained as Chief fans to expect the worst no matter what happens. But, times are changing, peep. Have faith.

FAX

Fax, I'm really not "down" on this hire. I'm most certainly giving Haley the benefit of the doubt, and will support him and the team. But in no way can I see why people would be doing cartwheels over this hire.

I think most people are excited simply due to the "newness" factor. We've been tortured for so long, that anything different is going to be seen as improvement. Haley has had the luxury of having very skilled WRs the last 3-4 years. And he's managed to really piss off some of the best he's coached. I didn't like what he did while in Dallas.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong....

DeezNutz
02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
And we're putting all that in the hands of an offensive guy who's claim to fame was designing whacky secret plays for the best WR in the league and one of the most productive vet QBs in the league.

For fans.

We have, by all accounts, one of the best young GM's in the game. You have to believe that he's see much more there.

Pioli isn't going to hire just a nice looking facade.

I agree with your skepticism--good approach to all things--but I'm hopeful nonetheless.

keg in kc
02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Ask me in 3 years.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 09:43 AM
His dad has been in the league for decades.
ahh ... thanks, that's it

i new it was something

Pioli is boning ... Haley has daddy ROFL

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
btw ..... i don't think haley called the offensive plays in Arizona his 1st year(2007) or half of his 2nd(2008) iirc

dirk digler
02-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Ask me in 3 years.

Kind of where I am at.

Fish
02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm just hesitant about the fact that Haley has had the luxury of having pro bowl WRs already in place at each coaching position he's taken.

At his first coaching job with the Jets, he had Keyshawn Johnson(who hated Haley), Wayne Chrebet, and Curtis Martin to work with. Keyshawn was already a pro bowler by then.

At Chicago, he had Marty Booker who was in his prime.

When he went to Dallas, he had Keyshawn Johnson again, Terry Glenn, and Jason Witten. Then he got Romo and T.O. T.O. hated Haley, and they had several arguments. Including one very similar to what we saw between Haley and Boldin this year. Strangely similar. And Jerry Jones sided with T.O. on the argument, and said they would discipline Haley because of it.

When Haley got to Arizona, he had Fitzgerald and Boldin in place. And of course, he ends up fighting with Bolding too.

And one other factor that doesn't sit well with me is the QB shuffle that seems to follow Haley around. Even though he wasn't directly in charge of the QBs each time, QB change is a common theme where he's been coaching the WRs.

In NY, he had Ray Lucas, Rick Mirer, Vinny Testaverde, and Chad Pennington in and out.
In CHI, he had Jim Miller, Chris Chandler, Kordell Stewart, and Rex Grossman all starting games to some degree.
In DAL, it was Vinny again, Drew Henson briefly, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo in and out.
In ARI, he went back and forth between Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner. Back and forth, back and forth.

Lzen
02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't think having fights/arguments with Terrel Owens is necessarily a bad thing. Hell, that's probably a plus on his resume.

kc rush
02-06-2009, 10:32 AM
He was probably the best guy still available and I am intrigued by him. I'll take a bit of a wait and see approach, but overall I'm excited with the direction of the franchise.

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Four years, $12 million.

Same as Spagnuolo, McDaniels, etc. $3M seems to be the new standard for up-and-coming HCs.

Fish
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't think having fights/arguments with Terrel Owens is necessarily a bad thing. Hell, that's probably a plus on his resume.

No, but you have to admit there's a pattern there. First Keyshawn, then T.O., then Boldin. And while each of those guys are sensitive greedy WRs with their own stats in mind, each of those guys are also at least 3X pro bowlers with huge contributions to their teams. With that kind of talent comes that kind of attitude. And if our coach has proven that he can't handle that type of attitude, then it scares me to consider Bowe's development.

dirk digler
02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm just hesitant about the fact that Haley has had the luxury of having pro bowl WRs already in place at each coaching position he's taken.

At his first coaching job with the Jets, he had Keyshawn Johnson(who hated Haley), Wayne Chrebet, and Curtis Martin to work with. Keyshawn was already a pro bowler by then.

When he went to Dallas, he had Keyshawn Johnson again, Terry Glenn, and Jason Witten. Then he got Romo and T.O. T.O. hated Haley, and they had several arguments. Including one very similar to what we saw between Haley and Boldin this year. Strangely similar. And Jerry Jones sided with T.O. on the argument, and said they would discipline Haley because of it.

When Haley got to Arizona, he had Fitzgerald and Boldin in place. And of course, he ends up fighting with Bolding too.

And one other factor that doesn't sit well with me is the QB shuffle that seems to follow Haley around. Even though he wasn't directly in charge of the QBs each time, QB change is a common theme where he's been coaching the WRs.

In NY, he had Ray Lucas, Rick Mirer, Vinny Testaverde, and Chad Pennington in and out.
In CHI, he had Jim Miller, Chris Chandler, Kordell Stewart, and Rex Grossman all starting games to some degree.
In DAL, it was Vinny again, Drew Henson briefly, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo in and out.
In ARI, he went back and forth between Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner. Back and forth, back and forth.

Good analysis KC Fish :thumb:

MichaelH
02-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I am a little concerned about his lack of head coaching experience but feel he couldn't do any worse than Hermie. I think he has a lot to work with and with Paoli as GM, the Chiefs are in fine shape. I will not be so embarassed to waer my Chiefs gear around town.

Jilly
02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm great with it....it's exciting to have someone new and fresh.

OnTheWarpath58
02-06-2009, 10:51 AM
No, but you have to admit there's a pattern there. First Keyshawn, then T.O., then Boldin. And while each of those guys are sensitive greedy WRs with their own stats in mind, each of those guys are also at least 3X pro bowlers with huge contributions to their teams. With that kind of talent comes that kind of attitude. And if our coach has proven that he can't handle that type of attitude, then it scares me to consider Bowe's development.

That's really my biggest, and only concern.

As a HC, you have to be able to handle a team full of egos.

You can't be a hothead and expect positive results - it takes the focus away from winning on Sundays, and you lose respect from a group of young, impressionable players.

If he can keep his temper in check, I'll be fine with the hire. As I've said before, I'll back him and the team 100% - and hope like hell I'm wrong.

I know one thing:

He would score some MAJOR points with me if he fires the remaining coaches and brings in a completely new staff - and if he does that AND pushes Pioli to draft a franchise QB in April - then I might become one of his biggest fans.

Looking forward to the PC to see what he has to say...

blaise
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
That's really my biggest, and only concern.

As a HC, you have to be able to handle a team full of egos.

You can't be a hothead and expect positive results - it takes the focus away from winning on Sundays, and you lose respect from a group of young, impressionable players.

If he can keep his temper in check, I'll be fine with the hire. As I've said before, I'll back him and the team 100% - and hope like hell I'm wrong.

I know one thing:

He would score some MAJOR points with me if he fires the remaining coaches and brings in a completely new staff - and if he does that AND pushes Pioli to draft a franchise QB in April - then I might become one of his biggest fans.

Looking forward to the PC to see what he has to say...

Coddling them like Herm did wasn't any better though. I was so sick of the Chiefs under Herm walking around the first two weeks of the season as if it were still preseason.

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

:spock:

Haley was with the Bears between 2001 and 2004. Booker was there in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Booker's seasonal average with Haley: 83 rec., 992 yards, 6 TD

Booker's seasonal average without Haley: 39 rec., 507 yards, 2.1 TD

Fish
02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
:spock:

Haley was with the Bears between 2001 and 2004. Booker was there in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Booker's seasonal average with Haley: 83 rec., 992 yards, 6 TD

Booker's seasonal average without Haley: 39 rec., 507 yards, 2.1 TD

Are you confused? Booker had 3 of his best seasons while Haley was there. He was in his prime when Haley arrived. In 2000, he was the #3 WR behind Eddie Kennison and Marcus Robinson. In 2001, they got rid of EK and Robinson only played in 5 games. Booker became the #1 WR. He went to the pro bowl in 02. I'd say that was his prime.

BigRock
02-06-2009, 04:15 PM

A) We didn't hire him to coach the receivers. B) Some of those "Pro Bowl WRs" have talked about how Haley made them better players. If Haley can work with an already great player and make them even better, isn't that a credit to him?

At his first coaching job with the Jets, he had Keyshawn Johnson(who hated Haley)

Maybe at the time. Today, Keyshawn is one of Haley's biggest supporters. He credits Haley with making him a better player.

That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that Booker had his most success while Haley was his coach.

T.O. hated Haley, and they had several arguments. Including one very similar to what we saw between Haley and Boldin this year. Strangely similar. And Jerry Jones sided with T.O. on the argument, and said they would discipline Haley because of it.

He didn't get along with TO. Oh noes.

When you say his argument with Boldin was "strangely similar" with his arguments with TO, do you mean it was similar in that that a selfish WR decided to put his own interests ahead of the team and make a spectacle of himself? Or is it Haley's fault that during the NFC championship game, when the Cards were trying to drive for the go-ahead score, Boldin got in his face to complain about his lack of playing time?

When Haley got to Arizona, he had Fitzgerald and Boldin in place.

And Fitzgerald openly credits Haley for making him a better player. Why do you continue to ignore such things?

And one other factor that doesn't sit well with me is the QB shuffle that seems to follow Haley around.

I heard the weather turns bad when he comes to a new city, too.

Seriously, what? You know he didn't work with QBs, right? You know the earliest he could have had any effect on his team's QB was in Dallas? He was in Dallas from 2005-2006. There were two starting QBs in that span: Bledsoe and Romo. Not Drew Henson. Not Vinny. Bledsoe and Romo.

Why on earth are we talking about Rich Mirer?

I mean no personal offense, but when you have an incredibly loose grasp of the facts and blatantly ignore the positives, anyone is going to sound like a bad choice to you.

Fish
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
LOL.... bump.....

listopencil
09-28-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm happy so far...but I'm a Bronco fan.

Raised On Riots
09-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Love the Coach, GM can suck my baby-maker.

kcpasco
09-28-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm happy so far...but I'm a Bronco fan.

I can't wait until the little man crush your fans and the media are having for your coach does a 180 when you get to the tuff part of your schedule. Because everyone knows that no matter how much the KC media overreacts the Denver media is about 100x worse.

Are you gonna stand tuff by your man?

Fish
12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
A) We didn't hire him to coach the receivers. B) Some of those "Pro Bowl WRs" have talked about how Haley made them better players. If Haley can work with an already great player and make them even better, isn't that a credit to him?

Maybe at the time. Today, Keyshawn is one of Haley's biggest supporters. He credits Haley with making him a better player.

That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that Booker had his most success while Haley was his coach.

He didn't get along with TO. Oh noes.

When you say his argument with Boldin was "strangely similar" with his arguments with TO, do you mean it was similar in that that a selfish WR decided to put his own interests ahead of the team and make a spectacle of himself? Or is it Haley's fault that during the NFC championship game, when the Cards were trying to drive for the go-ahead score, Boldin got in his face to complain about his lack of playing time?

And Fitzgerald openly credits Haley for making him a better player. Why do you continue to ignore such things?

I heard the weather turns bad when he comes to a new city, too.

Seriously, what? You know he didn't work with QBs, right? You know the earliest he could have had any effect on his team's QB was in Dallas? He was in Dallas from 2005-2006. There were two starting QBs in that span: Bledsoe and Romo. Not Drew Henson. Not Vinny. Bledsoe and Romo.

Why on earth are we talking about Rich Mirer?

I mean no personal offense, but when you have an incredibly loose grasp of the facts and blatantly ignore the positives, anyone is going to sound like a bad choice to you.

Would you still defend Haley's WR coaching abilities? QB coaching abilities?

Are my incredibly loose grasp of the facts and blatant ignorance of the positives still painting an unfairly bad picture?

Just curious if anything has changed in your eyes....