PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is Haley the only NFL head coach with no playing experience?

raypec85
02-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Outside of Shanahan who only played in high school I can't think of another current or recent NFL head coach with no college level playing experience. I don't think Haley even played in high school, much less college. Does this bother anyone?

MIAdragon
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
nope.

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 10:29 AM
:spock:

Serious?

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.azcardinals.com/swimages/sponsorship_ads/usairwaysbanner.jpg (http://www.usairways.com/)
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="content" --> http://www.azcardinals.com/team/headshots/haley_todd.jpg
Todd Haley
College: North Florida
Hometown: Pittsburgh, PA
DOB: February 28, 1967
Cardinal Season: 2nd
NFL Season: 12th

NoteCARDS:
• Joined the Cardinals on 1/25/07 when he became the team’s offensive coordinator.

• Started his coaching career in 1997 as an offensive assistant under Bill Parcells with the New York Jets.

• In first season as coordinator, the Cardinals offense finished 5th in NFL in passing (4,065 passing yards) while also setting a franchise record with 32 passing touchdowns.

• The Cardinals offense finished the season with a 94.0 scoring percentage inside the redzone in 2007, good for 2nd in the NFL (New England, 94.4%),

• As passing game coordinator for Dallas in 2006, the Cowboys offense ranked 5th in the NFL in passing and 4th in passing net yards per play

• Helped guide Chicago wide receiver Marty Booker to a Pro Bowl appearance in 2002, the first Bears Pro Bowl selection at wide receiver since 1971.

• Son of Dick Haley, the former Director of Player Personnel for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1971-90) and New York Jets (1991-2002).

A coaching veteran of 11 NFL seasons, Todd Haley joined the Cardinals as offensive coordinator after being hired on 1/25/07. Previously the Dallas Cowboys wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator for three seasons (2004-06), Haley was reunited with Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt with whom he worked on the staff of the New York Jets in 2000.

In Haley’s first season as a coordinator, the Cardinals finished the season with the 5th ranked passing offense in the NFL and also set a franchise record with 32 passing touchdowns. The Cardinals scored 404 points on the season, the second highest total in franchise history (423, 1984) and also scored 20+ points in each of the final eight games of the season, the longest streak since 1983-84. Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was selected to his second Pro Bowl with an NFC leading 100 receptions and 1,409 yards, quarterback Kurt Warner threw for 27 TD passes, one short of the team record, and running back Edgerrin James rushed for 1,222 yards, the fifth-highest total in team history. The Cardinals also finished 2nd in the NFL with a 94% scoring percentage inside the redzone (New England, 94.4%).

Haley helped lead the Dallas passing attack in 2006 that finished 5th in the NFL in yardage and 4th in the league in passing net yards per play while featuring a first-time starting quarterback in Pro Bowl selection Tony Romo. Haley’s passing attack helped the Cowboys finish 2nd in the NFL in third down efficiency (Colts) and 4th in points per game. Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens finished sixth in the NFC with 85 receptions for 1,180 yards and an NFL leading 13 touchdown receptions while fellow receiver Terry Glenn went over 1,000 yards receiving for the second consecutive season with 70 grabs for 1,047 yards (15.0 yard avg.) and six touchdowns.

In 2005, Dallas finished the year as one of only two NFL teams (St. Louis) with a pair of receivers who each had over 500 receptions and 7,500 receiving yards for their careers in veterans Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn. Glenn tied for the league lead in yards-per-catch with an average of 18.3 yards and recorded the first 1,000-yard receiving season for the Cowboys since 1999 with his 1,136 yards and eight touchdowns. Johnson led the team in receptions with 71 and was second in touchdowns with six. Dallas was the only NFL team in 2005 to produce three players who each had at least 62 receptions as tight end Jason Witten (66 receptions) joined Glenn (62) and Johnson (71).

In Haley’s first year in Dallas (2004), Johnson finished the season with 70 catches for a team-high 981 yards and tied for the team lead with six touchdown catches. Prior to a season ending foot injury, Glenn was averaging 16.7 yards-per-catch on 24 receptions (400 yards) with a pair of scores. A pair of rookies – Patrick Crayton and Terrance Copper - were the biggest recipients of Haley's teaching as both surfaced as productive late season additions.
Haley joined the Cowboys staff after three years as the wide receivers coach with the Chicago Bears (2001-03). Despite working with three different starting quarterbacks with the Bears in 2003, three of Haley's receivers topped the 40-catch mark for the season, with Marty Booker leading the club with 52 receptions and 715 receiving yards. Dez White was second on the team with 49 receptions for 583 yards and David Terrell recorded a career-high 43 catches for 361 yards.

In 2002, Haley oversaw the continued growth of Booker as he made huge strides following an outstanding 2001 season. Booker capped his 2002 campaign by becoming the first Bears Pro Bowl selection at wide receiver since 1971 and only the fourth receiver in franchise history to earn the recognition. Booker became just the second Bears receiver to record back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons with a career-best 1,189 yards and a team-leading six touchdowns while just missing his second consecutive season of 100-or-more catches (97). His two-year total of 197 receptions in 2001-02 was tops in the NFC.
In Haley's first season with the Bears, Booker became the first receiver in team history to catch 100 passes in a season and the eighth receiver in Bears history to surpass 1,000 receiving yards in a season with 1,071. He also posted a career-best and team-high eight touchdown catches.

Haley joined the Bears after spending six seasons with the New York Jets (1995-2000). In 1999-2000 he mentored the Jets wide receivers. In his first season with the group, Haley helped guide Keyshawn Johnson to his second consecutive Pro Bowl appearance. Johnson finished the season with 89 receptions, 1,170 receiving yards and eight touchdowns, the second most catches in a season in club history. Prior to taking over wide receiver duties, Haley worked as an assistant to offensive coordinator Charlie Weis (1997-98) and helped the Jets to two 1,000-yard receivers in 1998 and Johnson's first Pro Bowl. Haley began his career with the Jets as an assistant in the scouting department in 1995, where he scouted regionally for the team and assisted in player evaluations.

Haley attended the University of Florida and the University of Miami before earning a bachelor's degree in communications from the University of North Florida in 1991.

The son of Dick Haley, the former Director of Player Personnel for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1971-90) and New York Jets (1991-2002), Todd was a former ballboy for the Super Bowl Championship Pittsburgh Steelers teams of the 1970s. Haley was also a multi-sport standout at Upper St. Clair High School in Pittsburgh.

Haley and his wife, Chrissy, have four daughters: Taylor, Peyton, Kady, and Ella.

Frosty
02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Haley and his wife, Chrissy, have four daughters: Taylor, Peyton, Kady, and Ella.

Geez. No wonder he's always screaming at people.

keg in kc
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
What the hell, doesn't he know you have to have played to know anything about football?

Skip Towne
02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
How did he get his first NFL job?

King_Chief_Fan
02-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Outside of Shanahan who only played in high school I can't think of another current or recent NFL head coach with no college level playing experience. I don't think Haley even played in high school, much less college. Does this bother anyone?

nope you can learn the x's and o's and coach the game without playing.

maybe we should challenge the coaches that have played. Herm was a PLAYA and coudn't coach worth a poop.

Buck
02-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Norv?

He doesn't look like he played.

Edit: nevermind, he played QB in Oregon.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
How did he get his first NFL job?
his daddy i would imagine

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Joe Gibbs never played in college or the pros...

Johnny Vegas
02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Mike Tomlin never played in the NFL.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Let me predict the next Anti-Haley thread:

"Is Haley the only NFL head coach with dark hair?"

Good lord people, lets not over analyze this.

DeepSouth
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't think Marv Levy played. Did Gunther play ?

raypec85
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Joe Gibbs never played in college or the pros...

Born in Mocksville, North Carolina, Joe graduated from Santa Fe High School, Santa Fe Springs, California, in 1959 where he was the star quarterback. Gibbs attended Cerritos Junior College and then San Diego State University (SDSU), where he played tight end, offensive guard and linebacker on the football team, coached by Don Coryell. Gibbs graduated from SDSU in 1964 and earned a master's degree in 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gibbs

Goapics1
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Did Belichick play?

Frosty
02-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Gunther was a stinkin' Duck. I don't think he played in the pros, though.

raypec85
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM

Levy enrolled at Coe College in Iowa. There he earned varsity letters in football, track, and basketball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Levy

Gunther Cunningham (born June 19, 1946 in Munich, Germany) is an American football defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions.

Cunningham was born in 1946 in war-torn Munich, Germany to an American serviceman and a German mother before moving to the United States at age ten. He attended the University of Oregon, where he played linebacker and placekicker before embarking on a coaching career that has now spanned almost forty years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_Cunningham

raypec85
02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Did Belichick play?

Belichick was born in Nashville, Tennessee, and raised in Annapolis, Maryland, where his father Steve Belichick, a former Detroit Lions player and ethnic Croat, was an assistant football coach at the United States Naval Academy; the senior Belichick was a defensive coach at Vanderbilt when his son was born. After graduating from Annapolis High School he attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts for a postgraduate year. Belichick subsequently attended Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut where he played center/tight end. In addition to being a member of the football team, he also played lacrosse and squash, serving as the captain of the lacrosse team during his senior season. He is a member of Chi Psi fraternity and graduated in 1975 with a degree in economics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick

Gdaddy
02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
From Peter King:
" I know this: If I'm the rest of the AFC West, and I see Scott Pioli and the son of Dick Haley with $45 million in salary cap room, and with the third and 34th picks in the April draft, I'm getting a little nervous".

I couldnt agree more with his thoughts.....

Ultra Peanut
02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
If you want to be a head coach, become a ballboy.

Gunther Cunningham (born June 19, 1946 in Munich, Germany) is an American football defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions. This makes me smile almost as much as: "Carl Peterson, former president of the Kansas City Chiefs."

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
From Peter King:
" I know this: If I'm the rest of the AFC West, and I see Scott Pioli and the son of Dick Haley with $45 million in salary cap room, and with the third and 34th picks in the April draft, I'm getting a little nervous".

I couldnt agree more with his thoughts.....

:clap:

CoMoChief
02-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Gunther played college ball at Oregon. LB and a kicker believe it or not IIRC.

Bill Belechick I dont think has ever played football past HS.

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Born in Mocksville, North Carolina, Joe graduated from Santa Fe High School, Santa Fe Springs, California, in 1959 where he was the star quarterback. Gibbs attended Cerritos Junior College and then San Diego State University (SDSU), where he played tight end, offensive guard and linebacker on the football team, coached by Don Coryell. Gibbs graduated from SDSU in 1964 and earned a master's degree in 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gibbs

LOL, well I guess that site where I got the answer to a trivia question was dead wrong. :) Thanks for the info!

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 11:42 AM
The flip side of the equation is that Herm Edwards played tons of college and pro ball...

raypec85
02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
The flip side of the equation is that Herm Edwards played tons of college and pro ball...

point well taken:hmmm:

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
those who can ...... play

those who can't ........ coach