PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Peter King: Be Nervous, AFC West

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/06/chiefs/index.html

With Kansas City hiring former Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley as its new head coach -- effectively ending the NFL's version of musical chairs at that level -- let's take a look at what kind of football man the Chiefs are getting.

That's an important way to term it -- football man. To build a partnership with new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, Haley will have to call on the coaching skills he developed on the staffs of the Jets, Bears, Cowboys and Cardinals as receivers coach and offensive coordinator the past 11 years. He'll also need to use the acumen he learned growing up in the household of the underrated piece of the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty of the '70s. His dad, Dick, was director of player personnel for the Steelers and a key guy in the best draft of all time that set Pittsburgh up for greatness. In 1974, the Steelers chose Hall of Famers Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster in the first five rounds. Dick Haley took his job home with him, and Todd loved when he could sit in on his father's film-watching sessions in their Pittsburgh home.

Friends say Haley really wanted the Chiefs gig because he believes in Pioli's ability to build a team; they worked together briefly with the Jets from 1997 to '99, when Pioli was the Jets' director of pro personnel and Haley the team's fledgling receivers coach. For a short span before that, Haley worked under his father in the Jets' scouting department. He'd never coached before, and one day told his father he thought he'd like to try coaching -- if Jets coach Bill Parcells would have him. The rest, now, is history.

A decade ago, there was a feeling in the Jets' organization that maybe Haley had it too easy climbing the ladder, getting his foot in the pro football door because of his father. That's true. But as one former Jets player told me during Super Bowl week: "Todd knew he had to work harder at it because everyone was looking at him, thinking he was there because of his dad. When you work for Parcells, you're not going to be able to slack off anyway. But Todd had to show people he deserved to be where he was.''

Haley had a hothead reputation in New York, arguing with Keyshawn Johnson at times. That's a double-edged sword. It's good to stand up to players, of course, but not good to get into multiple shouting matches with them. Haley likely had to convince Pioli and Chiefs owner Clark Hunt in his interview this week that he wouldn't be going nose-to-nose with players every week.

But 11 years of dues-paying proved Haley was a worker bee who could make good players better. His gameplans, in particular, were praised by the Steelers as they prepared for the Super Bowl, and for good reason. The Cardinals put up a season-high 407 total yards on Pittsburgh's top-rated defense in the Super Bowl, and no team threw three touchdown passes on the Steelers until Kurt Warner did it last Sunday. The Cards did all that with just 27 minutes of possession time.

For Pioli, it's likely he would have wanted to hire Josh McDaniels before the Broncos scooped up the New England offensive coordinator, or Steve Spagnuolo before St. Louis hired the Giants' defensive boss. But maybe Pioli got lucky. In Haley he's getting a very smart game-planner, a guy who can command a room, and a former personnel man with scouting in his genes.

The Chiefs have a lot of questions to answer. Will Chan Gailey stay as offensive coordinator and form a bond with a young coach he doesn't know? Will Haley be stuck with a couple of dissatisfied veterans, tight end Tony Gonzalez and running back Larry Johnson? Who's the quarterback of the future -- Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassel or Matt Stafford? Who runs the defense? And they're behind the other 31 teams in the league in getting answers to those questions.

I know this: If I'm the rest of the AFC West, and I see Scott Pioli and the son of Dick Haley with $45 million in salary cap room, and with the third and 34th picks in the April draft, I'm getting a little nervous.

Dartgod
02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Who's the quarterback of the future -- Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassel or Matt Stafford?.
King does realize that Cassel was just franchised, doesn't he?

Freakin' moron...

FAX
02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Hmmm. Sounds like King is another hack who reads the Planet. Nevertheless, I like the tone and the concept of Pioli and Haley cutting a wide swath through the West for the next 10 years.

FAX

ChiefRon
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Ha! Peter King does know about a football team in the MidWest!

PhillyChiefFan
02-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Freakin' moron...

The Chiefs can offer him a contract though correct? He is unrestricted, so they just have the option to match it if they wish.

I just can't believe that the Pats would pay all that money for an insurance policy. 15 mil is a lot of money for a backup who may/maynot even get a snap next season.

Gonzo
Hmmm. Sounds like King is another hack who reads the Planet. Nevertheless, I like the tone and the concept of Pioli and Haley cutting a wide swath through the West for the next 10 years.

FAX

Young coaches seem to be the style as of late. I just hope that he's matured enough to work with our vetrans and not piss off the few bright spots that we have on the field.

Then again, anythings better than what we had.

Deberg_1990

Freakin' moron...

Even worse was the Brodie Croyle mention. WTF??

ChiefRon

Freakin' moron...

Everyone in the media assumes Cassel was franchised to be traded, and the most likely landing spot would be in KC.

I wouldn't be pissed about it, but I would be disappointed because I'd really like to draft Sanchez and build our team around him.

Brock

Freakin' moron...

I'll bet he's traded to somebody, and it could be the Chiefs.

whatsmynameagain
02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
dont be surprised to see cassel in the red and gold. im certain we will win 8-10 games this next season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
02-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Freakin' moron...

Apparently, he didn't get that news before he wrote this piece.

Garcia Bronco
02-06-2009, 11:35 AM

FAX

(Snicker)

PhillyChiefFan
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Apparently, he didn't get that news before he wrote this piece.

Surprised? :D

Dave Lane
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM

Freakin' moron...

Doesn't mean we couldn't trade a 3rd and get him... Not that I want him just saying he's on the block

Bowser
02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
dont be surprised to see cassel in the red and gold. im certain we will win 8-10 games this next season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Paging the Talking Can....

PhillyChiefFan
02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Who would we be paying more to though, a drafted QB or Cassell?

Bearing in mind I am ignorant when it comes to contracts.

Lzen
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Why do people still think Cassel will be traded to the Chiefs? Isn't the franchise tag the same as it used to be? The team that signs him would have to give up 2 first round draft picks (this year's and next year's)? That doesn't seem like a wise move for a team that is trying to build.

PhillyChiefFan
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm completely on board for all this.

I can not remember when I was this excited to be a Chiefs fan.

Even an Eagles fan said it's a good time to be a Chiefs fan, and they are complete assholes.

PhillyChiefFan
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Why do people still think Cassel will be traded to the Chiefs? Isn't the franchise tag the same as it used to be? The team that signs him would have to give up 2 first round draft picks (this year's and next year's)? That doesn't seem like a wise move for a team that is trying to build.

I thought that the Chiefs could offer a contract to Cassell but the Pats had the ability to match the contract?

RedThat
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Freakin' moron...

Never know? Trades could happen?

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Freakin' moron...

Do you realize the Pats are probably going to trade him?

Brock

It's a negotiated trade deal. Nobody is going to give them 2 first rounders.

ChiefRon

If someone signs him to an offer sheet and the Pats don't match.

Nobody's gonna do that.

They're going to negotiate the rights to Cassel, less than 2 1st round picks.

beach tribe

Doesn't anyone remember Jared Allen??

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 11:42 AM
knowing about the franchise tag on cassel wouldn't of changed his story in the least.

we still might get Cassel

sedated
02-06-2009, 11:49 AM

who was the last franchised player who actually went to another team for 2 first-rounders?

the franchise tag has become simply a way to trade your good players rather than letting them leave for free-agency.

Amnorix
02-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Freakin' moron...

You do realize that Cassel is being traded, right? I mean, he's not going to be our $14MM backup...

Amnorix
02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
It's a negotiated trade deal. Nobody is going to give them 2 first rounders.

Right.

Lzen
02-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Sure, but that was a different situation. Jared Allen wanted out of KC. Last thing they wanted was to have a disgruntled star. Heh, now they have that with LJ. :banghead:

Lzen
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
You do realize that Cassel is being traded, right? I mean, he's not going to be our $14MM backup...

Ok, that makes much more sense. I thought them franchising Cassel was a sign that Brady may not be ready or may never be the same again.

Lzen
02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
This is why I love this place. Chiefs Planet has the most knowledgeable fans. Great job, guys. I learned something today.

beach tribe
Sure, but that was a different situation. Jared Allen wanted out of KC. Last thing they wanted was to have a disgruntled star. Heh, now they have that with LJ. :banghead:

Actually it's the same situation. It's a player you can't keep, that no one will pay 2 1st rounders for. A deal will be negotiated, and he will be traded. It would awesome if the Lions would trade for him.

HemiEd
Even worse was the Brodie Croyle mention. WTF??

Heck, Brodie may find a roid source this winter surprise all you haters.

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Brodie would break receivers' fingers if he was on the juice.

Bob Dole
02-06-2009, 12:01 PM

That's what Bob Dole was just wondering.

Apparently the answer is "no".

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok, that makes much more sense. I thought them franchising Cassel was a sign that Brady may not be ready or may never be the same again.
it could mean either

franchising Cassel does a several things

1. it gives them an insurance policy for Brady still being hurt

2. allows them to delay the decision they have to make at quarterback by forcing any team that wants cassel to deal with them first. Gives them longer to evaluate Brady

3. gives the compensation when/if Cassel leaves

4. gives them some control about where Cassel goes. If a team inside their division wants him they can squeeze the team into trading more for Cassel or even ask for the two 1st rounders ... which nobody is gonna want to pay.

rambleonthruthefog
02-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I'll bet he's traded to somebody, and it could be the Chiefs.

i'm pretty sure i heard espn say it would take two 1st rounders to make a trade for cassel. to me that sounds ludicrous.

Brock
02-06-2009, 12:14 PM
i'm pretty sure i heard espn say it would take two 1st rounders to make a trade for cassel. to me that sounds ludicrous.

It won't take 2 first rounders, or it won't happen at all.

Ultra Peanut
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
If Peter King thinks we're going to be awesome, that pretty much means we're fucked.

Bowser
02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
If Peter King thinks we're going to be awesome, that pretty much means we're fucked.

Don't worry. His Bronco love will supercede any mojo he throws our way.

Buck
02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
*shakes in my boots*

dirk digler
02-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Actually there is a huge distinction in franchise tags. Allen was a non-exclusive franchise tag so he could negotiate with other teams and the Chiefs had a right to match.

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Micjones
02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
King's heaping praise on the org too eh?
Nice...

Ari Chi3fs
02-06-2009, 12:27 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/signaturepics/sigpic7228_2.gif

LMAO ROFL :)

ChiefRon
02-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually there is a huge distinction in franchise tags. Allen was a non-exclusive franchise tag so he could negotiate with other teams and the Chiefs had a right to match.

And so is Cassel.

Dartgod
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
This is why I love this place. Chiefs Planet has the most knowledgeable fans. Great job, guys. I learned something today.
Yeah, me too. Although I'm not so sure trading for Cassel is a good idea. I'm not really sold on him.

Crush
02-06-2009, 12:36 PM

Brodie would probably break his own fingers if he was on the juice.

DenverDanChiefsFan
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Actually there is a huge distinction in franchise tags. Allen was a non-exclusive franchise tag so he could negotiate with other teams and the Chiefs had a right to match.Neither one of those say the teams can't negotiate a price to remove the tag and trade the player.

keg in kc
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd do the cassel trade in a second, if he came with moss and welker and the patriots o-line.

HemiEd
02-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Hek yeah, I haven't given up on him yet.

Tuckdaddy
02-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Go Clark Go.

Von Dumbass
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You do know that the AFC West has to play the NFC East and AFC North next year. I think the Chargers are going to be the only team in the division to get above 8 wins next year.:doh!:

warrior
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
And so is Cassel.

You are correct Chief Ron------

Gonzo
02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/signaturepics/sigpic7228_2.gif

LMAO ROFL :)

ROFL

I'm glad you like that...

JuicesFlowing
02-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Who's the quarterback of the future -- Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassel or Matt Stafford?

WTF??????????????

patriotsfan
02-06-2009, 03:26 PM
We have two quarterbacks in the wings to take over our team if Brady wasn't ready: Matt Gutierrez, who barely lost to Cassel in a 2008 training camp shootout, the Patriots went with Cassel as backup due to two reasons, his extensive knowledge of the playbook, and the rookie Kevin O'Connell, who very well maybe the future of the New England Patriots, O'Connell is at the least the most athletically gifted quarterback the Patriots have ever employed. I belive he is our current QB project. Matt Gutierrez was cut for roster space, and resigned to the practice squad when Brady got hurt.

Depending on another presumed training camp battle between O'Connell and Gutierrez, if Brady isn't ready to go, one of them will be the starter, for sure.

Cassel will not be with the New England Patriots in 2009 for two reasons.

1) The money

2) He is just too good not to be starting somewhere else.

You guys would be lucky to snag Cassel, especially with Pioli and Haley.

MOhillbilly
02-06-2009, 03:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/06/chiefs/index.html

Haley likely had to convince Pioli and Chiefs owner Clark Hunt in his interview this week that he wouldn't be going nose-to-nose with players every week.

fuck his speculation. this team has had years of cry babies and hug it out motherfuckers who wanna be everyones buddy.
its time for a head coach who will grind whatever grist the mill requires. and let the position coaches delegate the snot rags.

SenselessChiefsFan
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM

Freakin' moron...

Perhaps, unlike you, he realizes that they can trade for Matt Cassel, and that MOST believe the Pats only franchised Cassel in order to get compensation for him.

Guru
02-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Freakin' moron...That doesn't mean he is unattainable. I certainly don't want him but if Pioli does, he will try.

melbar
02-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Brodie would probably break his own fingers if he was on the juice.

ROFL :doh!:

afchiefs
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
It seems to me that the patriots have set themselves up for a cassel contract with a poison pill in it. Have they ever made poison pills illegal in contracts yet?

Simply Red
02-06-2009, 05:24 PM

why bother?

FAX
02-06-2009, 05:36 PM
**** his speculation. this team has had years of cry babies and hug it out mother****ers who wanna be everyones buddy.
its time for a head coach who will grind whatever grist the mill requires. and let the position coaches delegate the snot rags.

ROFL

Awesome.

FAX

Hydrae
02-06-2009, 07:03 PM
We have two quarterbacks in the wings to take over our team if Brady wasn't ready: Matt Gutierrez, who barely lost to Cassel in a 2008 training camp shootout, the Patriots went with Cassel as backup due to two reasons, his extensive knowledge of the playbook, and the rookie Kevin O'Connell, who very well maybe the future of the New England Patriots, O'Donnell is at the least the most athletically gifted quarterback the Patriots have ever employed. I belive he is our current QB project. Matt Gutierrez was cut for roster space, and resigned to the practice squad when Brady got hurt.

Depending on another presumed training camp battle between O'Donnell and Gutierrez, if Brady isn't ready to go, one of them will be the starter, for sure.

1) The money

Excellent post! Welcome to the Planet.

So if Tom is indeed out until at least October as I have heard, you think Bill will be willing to go into the season with one of those two under center? I honestly figured that was the purpose of the tag, to ensure some continuity with the offense until Brady is fully healed and ready to go. :shrug:

patriotsfan
02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
So if Tom is indeed out until at least October as I have heard, you think Bill will be willing to go into the season with one of those two under center? I honestly figured that was the purpose of the tag, to ensure some continuity with the offense until Brady is fully healed and ready to go.

The quarterback situation:
yes, one of the two qb's I mentioned will either start or be in the backup role, both will be on the roster, Cassel will not.

The franchise tag:
NO the reason for the tag is simple:

The Patriots are making sure they have some control of where Cassel will go, and they want to cash in on what they consider an investment that has come to mature. They want dividends for what they have carefully built, plus this guy knows our playbook, and whatever team gets him will most likely be able to pick his brain and figure our offense out real quick.

Matt Cassel was insurance last year, that paid it's claim. This next season he is to the Patriots a bargining chip, and a liability.

I guarantee no team in the AFC East gets him.

the Talking Can
02-07-2009, 09:05 AM

i missed the bat signal

the city is destroyed...oh well, back to my x-box

milkman
02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
We have two quarterbacks in the wings to take over our team if Brady wasn't ready: Matt Gutierrez, who barely lost to Cassel in a 2008 training camp shootout, the Patriots went with Cassel as backup due to two reasons, his extensive knowledge of the playbook, and the rookie Kevin O'Connell, who very well maybe the future of the New England Patriots, O'Donnell is at the least the most athletically gifted quarterback the Patriots have ever employed. I belive he is our current QB project. Matt Gutierrez was cut for roster space, and resigned to the practice squad when Brady got hurt.

Depending on another presumed training camp battle between O'Donnell and Gutierrez, if Brady isn't ready to go, one of them will be the starter, for sure.

1) The money

Personally, if we were trading with the Pats for a QB, I would rather trade for O'Connell.

Loved this kid coming out of San Diego St.

Deberg_1990
02-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Personally, if we were trading with the Pats for a QB, I would rather trade for O'Connell.

Agreed. I wanted the Chiefs to draft him last year. IM still shocked that the Chiefs didnt draft a QB with 13 picks going in last year.

patriotsfan
02-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Yeah the kid has quick feet, is mobile inside the pocket,has a gun, and is very smart. I'd like him as the backup for 2009.

If Cassel would give us the home town discount, with O'Connell developing for one more year w/ Brady mentoring him in the off season, that would be ideal. Make believe land, wishful thinking at best.

Most likely:
Cassel is ready to lead a team, we will get someones #1, and either a player or future draft picks in a blockbuster draft day trade.

Sorry about the misspelling earlier "O'Donnell", still getting used to the rooks.

LOCOChief
02-07-2009, 10:19 AM

THIS!

whoman69
02-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm still not convinced that Cassel is just the flavor of the month, a Scott Mitchell waiting to happen. The Patriots have a hell of a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Cassel still doesn't have much experience. The Patriots held onto him for two reasons. Brady may not be ready. The Patriots know he is a valuable commodity which other teams will covet. He may be good enough on the Patriots, just as Mike Livingston was good enough to take over the Chiefs way back when, but not good enough for a team that doesn't have all those weapons. He struggled at times even with those weapons. Anyone who thinks Brady isn't a top QB is kidding themselves. I think he's underestimated because in the past they relied on the running game and their defense. Three times they needed him to take them on the winning drive in the Super Bowl, and three times he came through. Against the Giants he didn't have enough time and had to take chances he probably shouldn't have. Take Tom Brady out of the mix and that team goes from 16-0 to 11-5. They're good, but he makes them better.