PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ***OFFICIAL Offensive Coordinator search thread***

John_Wayne
02-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Now that the HC is hired, it's time to turn our attention to the OC. Please post ALL discussions regarding the OC search here. And, NOTHING LESS will be tolerated! :evil:

unothadeal
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
REPO....... Nevermind

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
At least there's not already a 6 page thread about this stuff.

John_Wayne
02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Gailey hasn't been fired and hasn't been given permission to speak with other teams. That speaks volumes.

The Bad Guy
02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Gailey hasn't been fired and hasn't been given permission to speak with other teams. That speaks volumes.

Well if you are endorsing the idea, then I don't want Gailey.

John_Wayne
02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
What other OC candidates are there still left? Any names?

Pioli Zombie
02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Let's get charlie weis
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
02-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Now that the HC is hired, it's time to turn our attention to the OC. Please post ALL discussions regarding the OC search here. And, NOTHING LESS will be tolerated! :evil:

Lie on my bed of thorns, rest my head on a rock
And watch my walls turn black.
-sheer terror-

CoMoChief
02-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Al Saunders, Mike Martz

BRING IT

John_Wayne
02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
NO! to Mike Martz.

Skip Towne
02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Looking like Gailey.

Woodrow Call
02-06-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/sources-olson-a-top-candidate-for-oc-job-in-kc/

Sources: Olson A Candidate For OC Job In KC

The National Football Post has just been informed that Tampa Bay quarterbacks coach Greg Olson is one of the top candidates to be named the next offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Chiefs announced earlier today the hiring of former Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley as their new head coach.

Olson spent the 2008 season as the quarterbacks coach of the Buccaneers. Prior to that, Olson was the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams from 2006-2007.

More on this story as it develops.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/sources-olson-a-top-candidate-for-oc-job-in-kc/

The National Football Post has just been informed that Tampa Bay quarterbacks coach Greg Olson is one of the top candidates to be named the next offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Chiefs announced earlier today the hiring of former Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley as their new head coach.

Olson spent the 2008 season as the quarterbacks coach of the Buccaneers. Prior to that, Olson was the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams from 2006-2007.

Does he run a Martz/Al Saunders type of offense, or a Buc Ball play to lose offense?

OnTheWarpath58
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Interesting.

He was basically asked to resign after taking an offense that was 6th in points in 2006, and was 28th in 2007.

People here blame him for ruining the "Greatest Show on Turf."

He was about 60% pass to 40% run in STL.

DeezNutz
02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Interesting.

He was basically asked to resign after taking an offense that was 6th in points in 2006, and was 28th in 2007.

He was about 60-40 pass to run in STL.

How fair or unfair was the criticism?

I know injuries and age have had much to do with problems in StL, but I don't follow the team that closely.

Woodrow Call
02-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Interesting.

He was about 60% pass to 40% run in STL.

Sounds promising

:(

keg in kc
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
They could want Gailey to stay in a capacity other than OC, something like assistant head coach. We'll see.

CanadaKC
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I hear Ryan Leaf is looking for work after being sacked as QB coach at some nowhere College. He's very familiar with the AFC West....:D

Brock
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I hear Ryan Leaf is looking for work after being sacked as QB coach at some nowhere College. He's very familiar with the AFC West....:D

Actually, he's a golf coach at West Texas State.

OnTheWarpath58
02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
How fair or unfair was the criticism?

I know injuries and age have had much to do with problems in StL, but I don't follow the team that closely.

Well, my personal opinion is that a team that has Steven Jackson is stupid for being that out of balance. Run the ball.

I've never asked my contact what really went down in-house, but reports are that he was never officially fired, but was told he could look for employment elsewhere. I get the impression he was a bit of a scapegoat, that he had to go because management wasn't comfortable firing Linehan at that point - so Olson could have been the fall guy.

But, Olson only called plays for the final 6 games of the 2006 season, and Linehan took over play calling after 4 games in 2007. So he only called plays for 10 games of the 2 seasons he was there.

The whole thing is very, very odd.

DeezNutz
02-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, my personal opinion is that a team that has Steven Jackson is stupid for being that out of balance. Run the ball.

I've never asked my contact what really went down in-house, but reports are that he was never officially fired, but was told he could look for employment elsewhere. I get the impression he was a bit of a scapegoat, that he had to go because management wasn't comfortable firing Linehan at that point - so Olson could have been the fall guy.

But, Olson only called plays for the final 6 games of the 2006 season, and Linehan took over play calling after 4 games in 2007. So he only called plays for 10 games of the 2 seasons he was there.

The whole thing is very, very odd.

That does sound strange.

I agree in theory about the 60/40 breakdown with a back like Jackson, but it would be interesting to see how much of the 60 percent was comprised of swinging it out to Jackson or dumping it underneath to keep him involved.

John_Wayne
02-06-2009, 05:26 PM
The OC won't matter much until we improve the OL. The OL is the most important unit on the entire team. We need to build around a top OL.

ChiefMojo
02-06-2009, 06:05 PM
More than likely Haley will be calling the offense himself. Someone like Olson would be there for game planning and helping run the offense.

Reerun_KC
02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Well we will need someone to help develop Sanchez... Gailey can go with Thigpen and they can play with each others spread somewhere else...

Time for us to continue to grow up as an NFL franchise...

keg in kc
02-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't think we'll have to worry about 60/40 out of balance here whoever the coordinator is. This isn't the desert and we don't have a dome, so there's going to have to be some semblence of a running game when the weather goes bad. Unless they're always playing from behind or continue to have horrendous defenses, which will always skew the numbers (which was probably the case in both St. Louis and Arizona, with those defenses).

John_Wayne
02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Well we will need someone to help develop Sanchez... Gailey can go with Thigpen and they can play with each others spread somewhere else...

Time for us to continue to grow up as an NFL franchise...

I don't want Sanchez with the #3 pick. Maybe the #23 pick, but not #3.

FringeNC
02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't think we'll have to worry about 60/40 out of balance here whoever the coordinator is. This isn't the desert and we don't have a dome, so there's going to have to be some semblence of a running game when the weather goes bad. Unless they're always playing from behind or continue to have horrendous defenses, which will always skew the numbers (which was probably the case in both St. Louis and Arizona, with those defenses).

How is 60/40 pass out of line? That's about the NFL average.

Mecca
02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't see it being Gailey, as an offensive coach Haley is going to want someone he's familiar with to call his offense.

I could see him deferring alot more on defense than on offense.

John_Wayne
02-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't see it being Gailey, as an offensive coach Haley is going to want someone he's familiar with to call his offense.

I could see him deferring alot more on defense than on offense.

Such as who? Names. We want names!

RustShack
02-07-2009, 01:02 AM
The OC won't matter much until we improve the OL. The OL is the most important unit on the entire team. We need to build around a top OL.

Dick is that you?

sparkky
02-07-2009, 07:32 AM

there's a lot of truth in this.
I think the line injury/depth problems are what led to the decline of the O for the Rams for the last few years. Age is starting to show there too, as was the loss of Bruce and Curtis to compliment Holt.

whoman69
02-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Al Saunders, Mike Martz

BRING IT

Mike Martz is a disaster waiting for his ego to happen. He believes the genius tag and will prove it by running Marshall Faulk only 9 times in the Super Bowl.

Al Saunders already has a job. I don't think the Chiefs can even talk to him unless they offer the asst. head coach slot.

The Bad Guy
02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Al Saunders does not have a job. He was let go by the Rams when Spagnuolo came on board.

Danman
02-07-2009, 12:10 PM
This isn't the desert and we don't have a dome, so there's going to have to be some semblence of a running game when the weather goes bad. .

Good point. I agree. Also late (like in the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter when we have a five point lead or greater) in the game when we need to control the clock.

I could see Gailey staying on. I do think Haley will sit down with him and talk football. Gailey's a good coach who in the middle of last season basically told Herm to go fuck his conservative two TE RRPP offense cuz they didn't have the talent for it. The pistol's a great formation, in certain situations, it just shouldn't be the only formation you run. Gailey can adapt his offense to the players.

That being said, It won't bother me if he's not retained.

Sorry, I disagree. The most important position on the entire team is a playmaker at the QB position. Don't give me the you gotta have a great OL or the QB doesn't develop, it's just not true. A good OL is important, but it's secondary to the ability of the QB to make plays to win games.

Building an offense with OL as the highest priority is bass ackwards and why we've been a so-so team with an outside shot at the playoffs for most of the last 20 years.

DTLB58
02-07-2009, 12:33 PM

We have the #23 pick to? ROFL

Micjones
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd take Al Saunders back in a heartbeat.

ChiefRon
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Would he really be a good fit for our young players? Isn't that the reason he & DV wanted veteran guys, 'cause the offense was so complicated the young players took too long to fully understand?

the Talking Can
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Pittsburgh just called...they said, "Fail"

DeezNutz
02-07-2009, 01:28 PM

The media loved him because he liked to fondle all their crotches, return every phone call, and whisper sweet nothings about the daggers he was sticking in the backs of other coaches.

How well would that approach fly with Pioli?

Keep Al Saunders the fuck out of KC. And let's continue living in the present, which includes an Arrowhead filled with new blood.

Woodrow Call
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
The media loved him because he liked to fondle all their crotches, return every phone call, and whisper sweet nothings about the daggers he was sticking in the backs of other coaches.

How well would that approach fly with Pioli?

Keep Al Saunders the **** out of KC. And let's continue living in the present, which includes an Arrowhead filled with new blood.

:clap:

Reerun_KC
02-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Not that I care what you want, but we dont pick at #23 NE does....

John_Wayne
02-07-2009, 02:26 PM

The problem with Saunders is that we'd have to revamp the offense yet again. He requires a different kind of center and gaurds. His offense requires small, quick WR's and a different type of RB. We'd have to start all over again. I'm sick of starting over.

John_Wayne
02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
More than likely Haley will be calling the offense himself. Someone like Olson would be there for game planning and helping run the offense.

You may get your wish. Bob Gretz is reporting that Greg Olsen from Tampa Bay is the latest rumor to be the Chiefs OC.

John_Wayne
02-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Do you think we wil have an OC by the end of the week? I sure hope so. We need to get this show on the road!!! Free agency is around the corner, then the draft......... If we don't get an OC, DC and STC soon, the team will really be behind the eight ball.

Jawshco
02-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Is it official yet that we're keeping Gailey? I mean, by now they would have at least fired him if he wasn't the guy wouldn't they? I have no problem with Gailey. He gives our guys a familiar face and probably increases the chance that we get to keep Gonzo.

I'm rooting for Romeo Crennell for our Defense.

CupidStunt
02-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Whoever it is will essentially be a puppet. It's gonna be Haley's offense. I'd venture that Gailey may be overqualified as a play-caller and would probably not suit the role. Instead Haley may look to bring in a position coach as OC who he can groom to call plays when he's comfortable with the terminology and concepts.

milkman
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Is it official yet that we're keeping Gailey? I mean, by now they would have at least fired him if he wasn't the guy wouldn't they? I have no problem with Gailey. He gives our guys a familiar face and probably increases the chance that we get to keep Gonzo.

I'm rooting for Romeo Crennell for our Defense.

It took Pioli about a week and a half to anounce the decision to fire Herman fucking Edwards, so I would expect that he and haley will take some time to consider thier options before making any decisions.

keg in kc
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
It took Pioli about a week and a half to anounce the decision to fire Herman ****ing Edwards, so I would expect that he and haley will take some time to consider thier options before making any decisions.Free agency starts in just over two weeks, so I'd imagine there's at least a little bit of pressure to get the hires done fairly quickly.

John_Wayne
02-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Free agency starts in just over two weeks, so I'd imagine there's at least a little bit of pressure to get the hires done fairly quickly. Pioli / Haley, Let's git 'er done!

Manila-Chief
02-11-2009, 02:11 PM
It took Pioli about a week and a half to anounce the decision to fire Herman ****ing Edwards, so I would expect that he and haley will take some time to consider thier options before making any decisions.

Well, I'd put it as "... to announce thier decisions." My guess is they will come up with several decisions and later reveal their moves.

Is Haley back in KC? He said he was going baack to AZ over the week-end. I've not seen when or if he is back in KC???

Maybe one reason it is taking Haley so long to make decisions is because he is being forced to consider the hold over coaches. I mean normally the new coach gets to name his "own" coaches, because almost all the coaches are fried when the coach is fired. Thus, Haley is just following Pioli/Clark's lead in doing things very seriously.

They have to decide on staff by the combine ... correct? Well, since we've seen it happen twice already, I guess not.

CupidStunt
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Is Haley back in KC? He said he was going baack to AZ over the week-end. I've not seen when or if he is back in KC???

He said he'd be back on Monday.

These guys are hard at work. I've got no problem that there's no leaks and I'll happily, albeit in anxious anticipation, wait for the announcement.

Micjones
02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
As long as this doesn't handicap the coaching staff's ability to evaluate players coming out in April, or soon to be available in Free Agency...

I'm fine with the delay.

John_Wayne
02-12-2009, 12:05 PM
As long as this doesn't handicap the coaching staff's ability to evaluate players coming out in April, or soon to be available in Free Agency...

I'm fine with the delay. Come on already! The waiting just kills me. Is anyone else worried about how long it is taking to put this staff together? In regards to the rumor that Haley will call the offensive plays, I don't really like that idea for a rookie HC.