PDA

View Full Version : Walterfootball.com: Crabtree isn't elite.

Dicky McElephant
02-17-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.walterfootball.com/mattblog.php

Posted Feb. 17, 2009

Crabtree Not Elite

The cliche thing to do on big boards is put Michael Crabtree as the top dawg in the 2009 NFL Draft.

This is something I just could not disagree more with, and when I see the same cliché opinions everywhere, I have no problem calling it out when I do not see eye-to-eye.

Crabtree is a very good receiver. I am not saying he is not worthy of a top-10 pick; just that he has some weaknesses in his game that do not put him near Calvin Johnson's level coming out of Georgia Tech.

In fact, I gave Crabtree a 4.5-star, top-eight grade.

Now you are saying, "Stop beating around the bush, why is Crabtree not elite?"

I feel like the biggest issue surrounding Crabtree is he never ran pro routes at Texas Tech. Most of what he did was within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and a lot of his production was generated after the catch. He mainly ran screens and crossing routes at Texas Tech; rarely deep comebacks, speed outs, or deep posts. Route running, in my opinion, is so important for the wide receiver position, and therefore I do not think he is elite.

He has the capability to do it in the NFL, but he never had the opportunity to do it at Texas Tech. With those doubts, I have to drop Crabtree slightly on my big board.

Another issue with Crabtree is he struggles to separate from press man and off man coverage. He generates yards after the catch, but he does seem to lack explosion off the line of scrimmage and coming out of his breaks. This is legitimized when it was reported that Crabtree does not plan to run the 40 yard dash at the Combine.

Granted, Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice have become elite NFL receivers despite 4.6 speed, but there are so many receivers that have busted who did lack this important skill. I do not think this is nearly as important as his route running, but it is a weakness nonetheless. Fitz might have had similar athleticism coming out of Pittsburgh, but he also ran elite routes. Crabtree has not.

Lastly, a somewhat famous draft analyst in Mobile told me he has spoken with Crabtree, and Crabtree does not come across as the sharpest tool in the shed. If intelligence is a concern, it will be seen in interviews at the Combine.

When a receiver does not run elite routes and has speed concerns, then it is a joke to me when people talk about him as the top player in the 2009 NFL Draft. He is very good, but let's stop it with the Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson comparisons.

Frosty
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
That's gonna set a few panties afire.

Reerun_KC
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM
True fans are weeping

Chiefnj2
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
"Another issue with Crabtree is he struggles to separate from press man and off man coverage. He generates yards after the catch, but he does seem to lack explosion off the line of scrimmage and coming out of his breaks. This is legitimized when it was reported that Crabtree does not plan to run the 40 yard dash at the Combine."

Your 40 time somehow correlates to how a WR can separate from man coverage and how a receiver comes out of his breaks? Dumb.

ChiefsGirl
02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
a lot of his production was generated after the catch.

Since when is this a bad thing?

CoMoChief
02-17-2009, 03:38 PM

It's not, people on here are dipshits sometimes.

Reerun_KC
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Its not hard to get yards after catch playin in the Big 12...

ChiefsCountry
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM

Pot talking to kettle.

Mecca
02-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Ahahaha,

I've been saying this for months.

The guy has done nothing to separate himself from the other WR's, for him to be a top 5 pick and a guy like Hakeem Nicks to be a 2nd round pick, I've watched them both and I don't see any way that Crabtree can be justified as a round better player.

DaKCMan AP
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Ahahaha,

I've been saying this for months.

The guy has done nothing to separate himself from the other WR's, for him to be a top 5 pick and a guy like Hakeem Nicks to be a 2nd round pick, I've watched them both and I don't see any way that Crabtree can be justified as a round better player.

I think it'd be difficult to pass on Nicks or Heyward-Bey if either fall to round 2.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2009, 11:34 PM

It's a bad thing when you don't have breakaway speed, yet you consistently out-run your opponents while running crappy routes.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Pot talking to kettle.

Or dipshit talking to dipshit

BWillie
02-18-2009, 02:43 AM
I completely agree with this article. Crabtree just put up ungodly like stats. He's a great athlete but the system he plays in I'm not so sure it will translate in the pros. I wouldn't draft him in the top 10 if I was ANY team.

PhillyChiefFan
02-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Graham averages, what? 35 completions a game?

Crabtree is TT's best receiver...obviously his numbers are going to be inflated. I fail to see how that translates to a great receiver in the NFL.

bigkyle76
02-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Any receiver who can put up 2,000 yards in a season, playing Division 1 football is an elite prospect

RustShack
02-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Any receiver who can put up 2,000 yards in a season, playing Division 1 football is an elite prospect

What about RB's? Theres been 2,000 yard rushers not drafted in the first.

googlegoogle
02-20-2009, 02:14 AM
good . I hate taking WR's high.

CURRY!

Mecca
02-20-2009, 02:17 AM

That's a dumb comment...stats are not everything.

BigChiefFan
02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I think he has the potential to become a Keenan McCardell type, but I still don't think he's worthy of our 1st overall pick.