PDA

View Full Version : Who is worth the third pick?

Rain Man
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I keep seeing comments that "XXX isn't worth the third pick". Who is?

I think the third pick is going to be a guy who's one of the top guys in the draft. However that compares to the quality or depth of prior drafts doesn't matter. If all of the QBs and all of the DEs and all of the DTs and all of the WRs all completely stink, a RT may be "worth the third pick" in the 2009 draft. He may not be worth it in other years against other talent, but that's irrelevant.

Hence my question. In your opinion, who is worth the the third pick in the 2009 NFL draft?

Pestilence
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
1. Matthew Stafford
2. Mark Sanchez

As of right now. But that's just my opinion.

Rain Man
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
1. Matthew Stafford
2. Mark Sanchez

As of right now. But that's just my opinion.

If there are only two guys worthy of the third pick, then that by definition means we're screwed, right?

Pestilence
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
If there are only two guys worthy of the third pick, then that by definition means we're screwed, right?

Right.

Pestilence
02-19-2009, 05:55 PM
What I mean is that is who is worth the 3rd overall pick to me.

If I'm a fan of another team....then it's obviously going to change.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Stafford
Sanchez
Eugene Monroe
Malcolm Jenkins

The Chiefs already have a LT, so Monroe is pointless. Jenkins would be a luxury pick. That leaves, for us, Stafford and Sanchez.

Mecca
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I expect the Rams to take Monroe.....and then half this forum will light up with "trade down no we don't want Sanchez!"

oldandslow
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Detroit will take Stafford
Rams will take best LT on their board.
That leaves us Sanchez. If Haley & Pioli have him graded highly, he is ours.

If not...Crabtree would be my next guess. Spread reciever for a spread offense.

philfree
02-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I expect the Rams to take Monroe.....and then half this forum will light up with "trade down no we don't want Sanchez!"

I don't think half will. I won't but I' pretty sure you lump me in with your true fan stereotype because I try to discuss something besides Sanchez at #3. Of course I really want Stafford but I'll embrace Sanchez if Pioli picks him.

PhilFree:arrow:

HemiEd
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't think half will. I won't but I' pretty sure you lump me in with your true fan stereotype because I try to discuss something besides Sanchez at #3. Of course I really want Stafford but I'll embrace Sanchez if Pioli picks him.

PhilFree:arrow:
Agreed for the most part, I think a lot of us fall into this category. I have no idea which one is better, but milkman usually knows what he is talking about. He actually prefers Sanchez.

No matter who they draft, I will be excited about it.

orange
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
The funny thing is, the Chiefs could probably trade down a few picks and still get Sanchez. Who else would take a QB in the top ten or so? The danger would be somebody moving up ahead of KC.

kcfanXIII
02-19-2009, 07:27 PM
i think what i'm wondering is, regardless of team needs, who would be the third best player in this draft?

Chiefnj2
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
In this years weak draft, in no particular order:

Stafford, Sanchez, Curry (if he can play MLB or rush from the outside), Raji (if he continues to impress), Brown (a little of a longshot but might be the best rusher in the draft), Crabtree, Monroe.

FD
02-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Stafford
Sanchez
Both Smith OT's
Monroe
Crabtree

Only the first two are worth it for us.

DeezNutz
02-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I've posted this in other threads but haven't seen a response.

Aside from positional value, which I understand and appreciate, what's the justification for the Jenkins selection? The knock on him is that he doesn't possess "elite" speed, and, if you're selecting him in the Sanders' range,--suggesting this is the type of CB freak that he is--shouldn't this NOT be a concern?

He needs to be a freakish athlete.

I welcome comments to attempt to change my mind. Everyone knows I want one of the QB's, so this a "worst-case scenario" discussion, for me.

googlegoogle
02-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Pioli wont spend a 1st on qb.

I can't see it. Doesn't believe in it.

Mecca
02-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Pioli wont spend a 1st on qb.

I can't see it. Doesn't believe in it.

And this is just an assumption that has no basis or backing because he's never been in the position..

Also I don't understand Jason Smiths hype at all, he's only played in a 2 point stance and has very very little run blocking experience hell he doesn't have great OT experience he played TE his freshman season.

Molitoth
02-20-2009, 07:55 AM
I don't believe anyone is worth the #3 pick for the CHIEFS. I believe they need to trade down out of the top 10 and score an extra draft pick or 2.

Mecca
02-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Yea they can trade down and take Orakpo so I can then know exactly how I feel about the new regime and how much I should care.

Molitoth
02-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Mecca I know you think they should take Sanchez cause your a USC homer... although I'm curious to whether you think they should throw him to the wolves right off the bat, or if he should wait and earn some experience first behind ________ quarterback.

Fill in the blank plz.

I don't think anyone on this board disagree's about needing a Franchize QB that we can groom and sign for a lifelong contract to the superbowl, but is Sanchez with all that experience REALLY that guy? Or Stafford for that matter?

I'm not even a big Bradford fan, but I really would rather draft him next year over the clowns in this years draft.

Mecca
02-20-2009, 08:10 AM
If you really think I just want Sanchez because of USC, you don't pay much attention to my draft theories.

Bradford is a spread monkey, go look up the history of that.

Sanchez has more talent and has 4 years in a pro style system that alone makes him better than Bradford.

Molitoth
02-20-2009, 08:13 AM
No, I don't think you want Sanchez just because your a USC guy, although I do think it helps out...

Hell, I like USC QB's... Pete Carroll knows what he is doing. Thats why I trust him when he came out about Sanchez not being ready for the NFL (in so many words).

Answer my first question in that post plz, I really do respect your opinions on this forum and seriously want to know your answer. I'm not trying to cause an argument or anything. Do we sit Sanchez and behind whom?, or throw him out there off the bat?

Mecca
02-20-2009, 08:16 AM
You let him compete and see if he's ready to play, if he's not you let him sit. You don't ruin him to try to win 2 more games in a meaningless season. You bring Sanchez along at the pace he's at not the pace you think he should be at.

Carroll was upset because this is the 1st QB he ever lost early and it significantly happens his National Title hopes next year.

Have you read scouting reports on Sanchez he has positives that you would say every top notch QB has.

Mecca
02-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Mark Sanchez, Analysis from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...e-tab-analysis

Analysis
Positives: Ascending talent whose intangibles for the position are just as impressive as his physical tools. ... Cerebral. ... Reads defenses well and rarely throws into coverage. ... Goes through his progression quickly and takes what the defense gives him. ... Recognizes the blitz very well for a player of his experience and often targets the defenses' weak link when being blitzed. ... Good setup and a smooth, over-the-top delivery. ... Legitimate NFL arm strength. ... Capable of making every NFL throw, including the deep ball. ... Rather than relying on pure arm strength, Sanchez combines good velocity with rare anticipation, especially for a player of his limited experience. ... Consistently releases his passes before his receivers have even made their breaks, giving the defense little time to react. ... Distributes the ball all over the field. ... Good short-, medium-, and long-range accuracy. ... Consistently places his passes where only his receiver can get it and throws a very catchable ball. ... When healthy, showed very surprising mobility for his size. ... Can evade the pass rush and will scramble if the defense gives free yards. ... Rare accuracy on the rollout. ... Squares his shoulders and can fire the ball with consistency and accuracy. ... Team captain. ... Blue-collar work ethic.

Negatives: Only one season as the starter and leaves USC with just 16 career starts. ... Career record of 4-2 outside of the state of California. ... Undeniable tools, but isn't yet a finished product. ... Runs a bit hot and cold and has a tendency to score touchdowns in bunches. ... Characterized by those close to the program as a very cerebral player who makes the right read, but many of his touchdown passes went to receivers with five or more yards of separation between the next closest defender, opening up some questions if USC's dominant athletes and the team's aggressive play-calling helped him look even better. ... Suffered a dislocated left knee cap prior to the season opener and his mobility was limited.

Half of those negatives aren't even that bad, isn't a finished product? Good you don't want someone that'll never get better.

Molitoth
02-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Well I'm not going to be pissed if we draft him....

Nobody REALLY knows whats going to happen with draft picks.... its ALWAYS a 50/50 chance at success/bust.
Sanchez could be amazing, could suck.. I guess we will see.

Mecca
02-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Well I'm not going to be pissed if we draft him....

Nobody REALLY knows whats going to happen with draft picks.... its ALWAYS a 50/50 chance at success/bust.
Sanchez could be amazing, could suck.. I guess we will see.

Well I could say that for anybody but I think he's ahead of the curve in many ways..he was in college 4 years in a pro system. He has top intangibles he's a very smart player...

I don't think Sanchez will suck because he has an IT factor on top of everything else he has as a USC fan you could see the difference with him at QB all the players want to make plays for him.

talastan
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Sanchez, Stafford, Curry, Brown, Oher, Smith, and Monroe. These would be the only choices I would be happy with at # 3. If any of these are taken I'll not throw a fit. I'd prefer either of the QB's or Curry or Brown, but we'll see.

BigChiefFan
02-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Monroe, Raji, and Stafford.