PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com Mock Draft: Wow....ummmmm

Pestilence
02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ee7377&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Mock draft: Top 10 could be offensive tackle territory
By Charles Davis | NFL Network
Analyst

1. Detroit Lions
Matthew Stafford
QB, Georgia The Lions need a building block at the most important position. They can get other help at No. 20.

2. St. Louis Rams
Jason Smith
OT, Baylor The Rams covet an offensive tackle, and Smith is excellent.

3. Kansas City Chiefs
Brian Orakpo
DE/LB, Texas Pass-rushing defensive end might project to OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

4. Seattle Seahawks
Eugene Monroe
OT, Virginia Monroe would be the heir to long-time mainstay Walter Jones at left tackle.

5. Cleveland Browns
Aaron Curry
LB, Wake Forest Curry may be the most complete linebacker in the draft.

6. Cincinnati Bengals
Andre Smith
OT, Alabama Carson Palmer must be protected. Smith must have a good pro day to remain in this spot.

7. Oakland Raiders
Michael Crabtree
WR, Texas Tech The Raiders love home-run hitters. If Crabtree's foot issue clears up, all systems are go.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Chris Wells
RB, Ohio State A big back to complement Maurice Jones-Drew.

9. Green Bay Packers
Malcolm Jenkins
CB, Ohio State This allows Charles Woodson to move to safety, though Jenkins can play safety, too.

10. San Francisco 49ers
Michael Oher
OT, Mississippi The Niners need help up front to run the ball.

11. Buffalo Bills
Everette Brown
DE/LB, Florida State Brown is a potential combo DE/OLB.

12. Denver Broncos
B.J. Raji
DT, Boston College With a new defense being installed, Raji could be the anchor on the line.

13. Washington Redskins
Rey Maualuga
LB, USC Biggest hitter in the draft. He could be a three-down linebacker.

14. New Orleans Saints
Vontae Davis
CB, Illinois The corner position needs to be fortified.

15. Houston Texans
Mark Sanchez
QB, USC A surprise for a team with Matt Schaub, but there is talk Sage Rosenfels could be on the move.

16. San Diego Chargers
James Laurinaitis
LB, Ohio State A complete linebacker, Laurinaitis can play inside or outside.

17. New York Jets
Alphonso Smith
CB, Wake Forest A playmaker to line up opposite Darrelle Revis.

18. Chicago Bears
Jeremy Maclin
WR, Missouri A flyer who could really help QB Kyle Orton.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Aaron Maybin
DE/LB, Penn State The Bucs are looking for a pass rusher off the edge. Maybin could play OLB in some sets.

20. Detroit Lions
(from Dallas Cowboys)
Brian Cushing
LB, USC All-around tough guy who can play OLB or ILB in 3-4 sets.

21. Philadelphia Eagles

Knowshon Moreno
RB, Georgia Moreno provides help for Brian Westbrook, and he has similar skills.

22. Minnesota Vikings

D.J. Moore
CB, Vanderbilt Moore might move up with big combine and pro day performances.

23. New England Patriots

Eben Britton
OT, Arizona The Patriots must protect Tom Brady.

24. Atlanta Falcons

Brandon Pettigrew
TE, Oklahoma State The most complete tight end in the draft provides more help for Matt Ryan.

25. Miami Dolphins

Alex Mack
C, California Intelligent and athletic.

26. Baltimore Ravens

Darry Beckwith
LB, LSU The Ravens have a lot of uncertainty right now in their LB corps. Beckwith is a natural ILB.

27. Indianapolis Colts

Percy Harvin
WR, Florida Harvin's a strong sprinter to ease the loss of Marvin Harrison.

28. Philadelphia Eagles
(from Carolina Panthers)
Larry English
DE/LB, Northern Illinois Versatile DE/OLB who can get to the QB.

29. New York Giants
Darrius Heyward-Bey
WR, Maryland Deep threats are always appreciated by run-first teams.

30. Tennessee Titans
Kenny Britt
WR, Rutgers Is this the year the Titans take a wide receiver?

31. Arizona Cardinals
LeSean McCoy
RB, Pittsburgh "Shady" could be the new "Edge."

32. Pittsburgh Steelers
William Beatty
OT, Connecticut Riser in the offseason to a team that would like to reduce the pressure on Ben Roethlisberger.

Ebolapox
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
that's quasi retarded.

bdeg
02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
terrible

88TG88
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
to the 'ship

BigChiefFan
02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Some are comparing Orakpo to Shawne Merriman.

Mecca
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Orakpo sucks I'm sorry, he's another talented undercoached underachiever from Texas.

BigChiefFan
02-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Orakpo sucks I'm sorry, he's another talented undercoached underachiever from Texas.Sucks, is pretty harsh. I think he'll make a bad-ass OLBer in a 3-4.

Mecca
02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Sucks, is pretty harsh. I think he'll make a bad-ass OLBer in a 3-4.

I don't think he'll make a bad ass anything, seeing as he's from Texas that means he has the technique of a high school player.

He's basically a bodybuilder or wants to be one and managed to injure himself working out...

BigChiefFan
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't think he'll make a bad ass anything, seeing as he's from Texas that means he has the technique of a high school player.

He's basically a bodybuilder or wants to be one and managed to injure himself working out...I would say the word bad ass was used rather loosely, maybe too loosely.:D However, I really think the guy has skills. I agree, some of the Texas players seem to be out of their element when transitioning to the pros, but the same could be said for many programs. Reggie Bush ring any bells? Nobody could argue he's worth the 2nd overall pick today. Some players either have "IT" or they don't. I believe Orakpo has that "IT" factor. That being said, I wouldn't take him at 3, but I can still see him being one of the Texas players that makes the transition sooner, rather than later and just wanted to chime in.

I think some of you, "QB in the 1st or bust" guys have become so hellbent on a QB, that you all don't even want to consider another top player having skillsets, that make them worthy of a least discussing as top players. Just trying to keep it real. Plus all the QB talk is growing a little tiresome-I figured the board could talk about some other players for a change.

googlegoogle
02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
By Charles Davis | NFL Network

Mecca
02-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Reggie Bush is still a playmaker....no RB is worth the 2nd pick either.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2009, 07:34 PM
hell no

i wouldn't think Orakpo would be a top 10 pick

DaneMcCloud
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM

He's basically a bodybuilder or wants to be one and managed to injure himself working out...

LMAO

I completely agree.

Chiefnj2
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd rather take Andre Smith and put him at RT.

SNR
02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
He's not even the best DE of ANY type/skillset. And we'd make him the FIRST overall drafted DE?

Screw that. Would rather have Everett Brown if we go DE.

milkman
02-25-2009, 04:34 AM
Mike Mayock should kick Davis' ass for the sheer stupidity of this mock.

PhillyChiefFan
02-25-2009, 06:00 AM
that's quasi retarded.

I would venture to say mostly.

rad
02-25-2009, 06:37 AM

ChiefRon
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
I think all the writers over at nfl.com are smoking something, here's Pat Kirwan's mock:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80eea152&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true&icampaign=DW_Combine_wednesday

With that in mind, here's my first mock draft:

Team Pick Analysis

1. Detroit Lions
Jason Smith
OT, Baylor Right now, it would appear there is a bit of doubt about Matthew Stafford being worthy of the top pick in the draft. An underclassman under 6-foot-3 who ran close to 4.9 in the 40-yard dash on a number of watches has a lot to prove. Jason Smith had a fine workout, passed the eyeball test and can be plugged into the lineup for the next 10 years.

Team Pick Analysis

2. St. Louis Rams
Eugene Monroe
OT, Virginia The Rams could get serious about Michael Crabtree if the medical news about his foot is positive, but right now Monroe is a safe pick, and it transitions with the end of Orlando Pace's career. If Pace plays in 2009, Monroe can start at guard just like Jonathan Ogden did during his rookie season in Baltimore.

Team Pick Analysis

3. Kansas City Chiefs
Aaron Curry
LB, Wake Forest The Chiefs are going to build a 3-4 defense and Curry gives them a critical piece at outside linebacker. If Stafford drops to them, they will think long and hard about him because the jury is still out on Tyler Thigpen.

Team Pick Analysis

4. Seattle Seahawks
Michael Crabtree
WR, Texas Tech Only the foot injury would allow Crabtree to fall to the No. 4 spot, but his 231 receptions in just two seasons in college should be enough for the Seahawks to draft him. He's just what the doctor ordered for this offense.

Team Pick Analysis

5. Cleveland Browns
Malcolm Jenkins
CB, Ohio State The Browns have a lot of needs, and cornerback is one of them. An outside linebacker who can rush the passer is priority No. 1, but with Curry gone, local Ohio State product Malcolm Jenkins is perfect. Keep in mind that new coach Eric Mangini took Darrelle Revis in the first round when he was with the Jets.

Team Pick Analysis

6. Cincinnati Bengals
Brian Orakpo
DE/LB, Texas The Bengals have lots of needs, and they tend to ignore defense early in drafts. A wide receiver would work here, and if Crabtree slid they might do it. But they need help on defense. Orakpo is versatile and helps with a pass rush that has to improve.

Team Pick Analysis

7. Oakland Raiders
Jeremy Maclin
WR, Missouri As the Raiders release high-priced veterans, they need playmakers. I could see an offensive or defensive tackle at this spot, but Al Davis loves speed, and Maclin has a lot of it. He led the nation with over 200 all-purpose yards per game, and he could team up with Johnnie Lee Higgins to make a dangerous tandem.

Team Pick Analysis

8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Matthew Stafford
QB, Georgia The Jaguars were probably thinking they had a shot at Mark Sanchez, but it's possible Stafford slides to the No. 8 spot. If the quarterbacks are gone, then Jacksonville could take a left tackle like Andre Smith or Michael Oher. Stafford would not have to take the field for a year or two while David Garrard runs the offense, which would be ideal for the Georgia star, who would become a fan favorite in a city right on the Georgia border.

Team Pick Analysis

9. Green Bay Packers
Brian Cushing
LB, USC The Packers are switching to a 3-4 defense, and they have to be thinking about an outside linebacker opposite Aaron Kampman. Cushing has played OLB, ILB, safety, defensive end and is just an all-around solid football player. At the combine, he measured in at 6-foot-3, 243 pounds, put up the 225-pound bench press 30 times, ran sub-4.7 in the 40-yard dash on a number of handheld watches and looked good in his drill work.

Team Pick Analysis

10. San Francisco 49ers
Darrius Heyward-Bey
WR, Maryland The 49ers have so many needs, and after Heyward-Bey ran a sub-4.3 in the 40 at his size, he moved up draft boards. He can stretch the field, which is critical as teams try to stop Frank Gore in the running attack. He will need to catch the ball better at his pro day to keep up the momentum he built at the combine.

Team Pick Analysis

11. Buffalo Bills
Everette Brown
DE/LB, Florida State The Bills need a pass rush and an outside linebacker. Brown could satisfy both issues. After Brown measured in at 6-foot-1 and 256 pounds, he really moved to the linebacker group instead of the defensive end group that he worked out with in Indianapolis. His 20 sacks over the last two years can't be overlooked.

Team Pick Analysis

12. Denver Broncos
B.J. Raji
DT, Boston College The Broncos have a long way to go to convert their defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. They simply aren't big enough up front to be a two-gap team or have enough pass rush to protect the corners. Raji is a good fit in any front, and while the Broncos are playing a mix of the two fronts, at least they would add a big man (337 pounds) inside to help stop the run and collapse the pocket.

Team Pick Analysis

13. Washington Redskins
Andre Smith
OT, Alabama Smith created quite a stir at the combine by leaving unannounced and not working out. He is immature in some respects and could have some weight issues, but he's one heck of a talent. He's a guy who can maul opponents and has extremely long arms (35 3/8) to pass block. Washington takes him as it prepares for the end of Chris Samuels' career.

Team Pick Analysis

14. New Orleans Saints
Vontae Davis
CB, Illinois Defense is the reason the Saints haven't made a run at the Super Bowl. They paid a lot of money to the defensive line, and while they could be considered underachievers, the secondary also needs help. Davis is a big corner and could start from day one.

Team Pick Analysis

15. Houston Texans
Tyson Jackson
DE, LSU Jackson is one of the few true 4-3 left defensive-end candidates in the draft. He weighed in at 295 pounds, and he could really help opposite Mario Williams. As teams run the ball away from Williams, the Texans need a stout player holding up the strong side. Jackson will never get the protection schemes his way and he should generate some needed pass rush from the left side. His 4.96 time in the 40 is a bit pedestrian, but his 27 tackles for a loss and 18.5 sacks during his career at LSU make him a solid pick.

Team Pick Analysis

16. San Diego Chargers
Rey Maualuga
LB, USC Maualuga is a perfect fit as the strong inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He would bring the passion that hasn't been around at the position since Junior Seau.

Team Pick Analysis

17. New York Jets
Hakeem Nicks
WR, North Carolina Nicks is the big receiver the Jets have been looking for to play opposite Jerricho Cotchery. The Jets could be looking at a cornerback or defensive end, but Nicks should be the highest-graded player on the board. His postseason bowl performance removed any doubt about his first-round grade.

Team Pick Analysis

18. Chicago Bears
Michael Oher
OT, Mississippi The Bears got old at tackle in a hurry, and the retirement of John Tait created a sense of urgency. Chris Williams should be good at right tackle and Oher could man the left side. In one pick, Chicago cements its young bookends for the next 10 years. Always like a tackle with over 45 college starts.

Team Pick Analysis

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Aaron Maybin
DE/LB, Penn State Pay close attention to what the Bucs do in free agency. Former GM Bruce Allen left the team with more salary-cap space than anyone could imagine. For now, a young player like Maybin, who could be groomed at linebacker and rush the passer, makes sense. I'm not so sure Maybin can play linebacker. As one GM told me, "He's a 250-pound pass rusher who can't do much else." His combine performance in linebacker drills suggests he may be able to drop back in coverage. I might like him more in a 3-4 defense, but he is intriguing at this point in the draft. His lack of experience (10 college starts) could move him down the draft in the weeks to come.

Team Pick Analysis

20. Detroit Lions
(from Dallas Cowboys)
Mark Sanchez
QB, USC It could work out that the Lions get their QB on their second pick in the first round. Sanchez needs a great pro day to get back into the top 10. If he doesn't wow the offensive coordinators, he could slide down in the draft to this spot. Sanchez has the skills to win in the NFL, but he will need time to develop -- and Detroit may not have the time to let him learn from the bench.

Team Pick Analysis

21. Philadelphia Eagles

Eben Britton
OT, Arizona The Eagles need an offensive tackle, and this is the last player at that position that grades out as a first-rounder. They might decide to take a look at Connecticut's William Beatty a bit later and take a running back or wide receiver here, but history shows Andy Reid likes to take guys in the first round who play with their hand on the ground.

Team Pick Analysis

22. Minnesota Vikings

Percy Harvin
WR, Florida Another playmaker for the passing game would be nice for whomever wins the QB job in Minnesota. The Vikings may be tempted to take a defenstive tackle like Peria Jerry to get in the rotation with Pat Williams, but they got good effort from their backups last year. Harvin would light up the Metrodome working out of the slot.

Team Pick Analysis

23. New England Patriots

Knowshon Moreno
RB, Georgia Kevin Faulk isn't getting any younger, Laurence Maroney has issues staying healthy and you can never have enough good running backs. Moreno has a chance to be like Tiki Barber, an all-around back.

Team Pick Analysis

24. Atlanta Falcons

Peria Jerry
DT, Mississippi The Falcons have to beef up the middle of their defense with solid young run stoppers. Jerry is a 300-pound run stuffer who will not be available later in the draft. His 32 tackles for a loss in the last two years at Mississippi tells you the kind of inside force he can be.

Team Pick Analysis

25. Miami Dolphins

Larry English
DE/LB, Northern Illinois I've interviewed English three times already, and he is an impressive young man who looks like Takeo Spikes and plays with a tireless motor. In the Dolphins' 3-4 defense, he could line up at OLB and get after the QB. His 31.5 sacks and 57 tackles for a loss in college make him the perfect complement to Joey Porter. He had two handheld 40-yard dash times under 4.8.

Team Pick Analysis

26. Baltimore Ravens

Darius Butler
CB, Connecticut The Ravens may want another corner, but for now the UConn corner gets the call. Some of the other corners are in the 5-foot-8 range and the Ravens may be looking for someone a bit taller. Butler measured in at 5-foot-10 3/8 and was impressive in his interviews.

Team Pick Analysis

27. Indianapolis Colts

James Laurinaitis
LB, Ohio State Laurinaitis may be slipping out of the first round after his 4.80 time in the 40, but his college production -- 375 tackles with nine interceptions and 13 sacks -- says he belongs among the top 32 players. His stats speak volumes about his playmaking ability. The combine didn't help him, but the game tapes will.

Team Pick Analysis

28. Philadelphia Eagles
(from Carolina Panthers)
Kenny Britt
WR, Rutgers The Eagles could take a big running back like Chris "Beanie" Wells from Ohio State here, but Britt gets the call this week. He's big (6-foot-2 7/8, 214 pounds) and explosive. He would be a nice complement to DeSean Jackson. If the Eagles sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh during free agency, then they're set to take a running back.

Team Pick Analysis

29. New York Giants
Michael Johnson
DE, Georgia Tech Johnson is not without his critics, but the combine really helped him regain some of his first-round status. There was no one like him physically in Indianapolis, as he checked in at 6-foot-6 7/8, 266 pounds with a 4.67 time in the 40. He can move like a linebacker, rush the passer and probably be a short-yardage tight end. In the weeks to come, he will be moving up the draft board and probably be gone by the time the Giants select.

Team Pick Analysis

30. Tennessee Titans
Robert Ayers
DE, Tennessee Ayers made a statement at the Senior Bowl that he can play the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage when asked. He thinks he's headed to a 3-4 team as an outside linebacker, which may be true, but he really fits in with the Titans. There are some concerns about his bench press (18 reps), but as one GM said, "The last thing I worry about is strength. We can fix that."

Team Pick Analysis

31. Arizona Cardinals
Evander Hood
DT, Missouri Hood had a good combine and looked impressive in drill work. He did not come to Indianapolis as a first-round candidate, but he may be leaving as one. At 6-foot-2 7/8 and 300 pounds with 34 reps on the bench press and a sub-4.9 40, his stock is rising.

Team Pick Analysis

32. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jarron Gilbert
DE, San Jose State The world champs need to find a 5-technique player to be in a rotation with starters Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. Gilbert came to Indianapolis as a second- or third-round prospect, but the 6-foot-5, 288-pound player with 4.81 speed is moving up draft boards.

Here's a list of the next wave of players who could break into the first round by next week's mock draft: QB Josh Freeman, RB Chris "Beanie" Wells, TE Brandon Pettigrew, C Alex Mack, OT William Beatty, OLB Clay Mathews, CB D.J. Moore and CB Alphonso Smith.

ChiefRon
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
I think all the writers over at nfl.com are smoking something, here's Pat Kirwan's mock:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80eea152&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true&icampaign=DW_Combine_wednesday

With that in mind, here's my first mock draft:

Team Pick Analysis

1. Detroit Lions
Jason Smith
OT, Baylor Right now, it would appear there is a bit of doubt about Matthew Stafford being worthy of the top pick in the draft. An underclassman under 6-foot-3 who ran close to 4.9 in the 40-yard dash on a number of watches has a lot to prove. Jason Smith had a fine workout, passed the eyeball test and can be plugged into the lineup for the next 10 years.

Team Pick Analysis

2. St. Louis Rams
Eugene Monroe
OT, Virginia The Rams could get serious about Michael Crabtree if the medical news about his foot is positive, but right now Monroe is a safe pick, and it transitions with the end of Orlando Pace's career. If Pace plays in 2009, Monroe can start at guard just like Jonathan Ogden did during his rookie season in Baltimore.

Team Pick Analysis

3. Kansas City Chiefs
Aaron Curry
LB, Wake Forest The Chiefs are going to build a 3-4 defense and Curry gives them a critical piece at outside linebacker. If Stafford drops to them, they will think long and hard about him because the jury is still out on Tyler Thigpen.

Team Pick Analysis

4. Seattle Seahawks
Michael Crabtree
WR, Texas Tech Only the foot injury would allow Crabtree to fall to the No. 4 spot, but his 231 receptions in just two seasons in college should be enough for the Seahawks to draft him. He's just what the doctor ordered for this offense.

Team Pick Analysis

5. Cleveland Browns
Malcolm Jenkins
CB, Ohio State The Browns have a lot of needs, and cornerback is one of them. An outside linebacker who can rush the passer is priority No. 1, but with Curry gone, local Ohio State product Malcolm Jenkins is perfect. Keep in mind that new coach Eric Mangini took Darrelle Revis in the first round when he was with the Jets.

Team Pick Analysis

6. Cincinnati Bengals
Brian Orakpo
DE/LB, Texas The Bengals have lots of needs, and they tend to ignore defense early in drafts. A wide receiver would work here, and if Crabtree slid they might do it. But they need help on defense. Orakpo is versatile and helps with a pass rush that has to improve.

Team Pick Analysis

7. Oakland Raiders
Jeremy Maclin
WR, Missouri As the Raiders release high-priced veterans, they need playmakers. I could see an offensive or defensive tackle at this spot, but Al Davis loves speed, and Maclin has a lot of it. He led the nation with over 200 all-purpose yards per game, and he could team up with Johnnie Lee Higgins to make a dangerous tandem.

Team Pick Analysis

8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Matthew Stafford
QB, Georgia The Jaguars were probably thinking they had a shot at Mark Sanchez, but it's possible Stafford slides to the No. 8 spot. If the quarterbacks are gone, then Jacksonville could take a left tackle like Andre Smith or Michael Oher. Stafford would not have to take the field for a year or two while David Garrard runs the offense, which would be ideal for the Georgia star, who would become a fan favorite in a city right on the Georgia border.

Team Pick Analysis

9. Green Bay Packers
Brian Cushing
LB, USC The Packers are switching to a 3-4 defense, and they have to be thinking about an outside linebacker opposite Aaron Kampman. Cushing has played OLB, ILB, safety, defensive end and is just an all-around solid football player. At the combine, he measured in at 6-foot-3, 243 pounds, put up the 225-pound bench press 30 times, ran sub-4.7 in the 40-yard dash on a number of handheld watches and looked good in his drill work.

Team Pick Analysis

10. San Francisco 49ers
Darrius Heyward-Bey
WR, Maryland The 49ers have so many needs, and after Heyward-Bey ran a sub-4.3 in the 40 at his size, he moved up draft boards. He can stretch the field, which is critical as teams try to stop Frank Gore in the running attack. He will need to catch the ball better at his pro day to keep up the momentum he built at the combine.

Team Pick Analysis

11. Buffalo Bills
Everette Brown
DE/LB, Florida State The Bills need a pass rush and an outside linebacker. Brown could satisfy both issues. After Brown measured in at 6-foot-1 and 256 pounds, he really moved to the linebacker group instead of the defensive end group that he worked out with in Indianapolis. His 20 sacks over the last two years can't be overlooked.

Team Pick Analysis

12. Denver Broncos
B.J. Raji
DT, Boston College The Broncos have a long way to go to convert their defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. They simply aren't big enough up front to be a two-gap team or have enough pass rush to protect the corners. Raji is a good fit in any front, and while the Broncos are playing a mix of the two fronts, at least they would add a big man (337 pounds) inside to help stop the run and collapse the pocket.

Team Pick Analysis

13. Washington Redskins
Andre Smith
OT, Alabama Smith created quite a stir at the combine by leaving unannounced and not working out. He is immature in some respects and could have some weight issues, but he's one heck of a talent. He's a guy who can maul opponents and has extremely long arms (35 3/8) to pass block. Washington takes him as it prepares for the end of Chris Samuels' career.

Team Pick Analysis

14. New Orleans Saints
Vontae Davis
CB, Illinois Defense is the reason the Saints haven't made a run at the Super Bowl. They paid a lot of money to the defensive line, and while they could be considered underachievers, the secondary also needs help. Davis is a big corner and could start from day one.

Team Pick Analysis

15. Houston Texans
Tyson Jackson
DE, LSU Jackson is one of the few true 4-3 left defensive-end candidates in the draft. He weighed in at 295 pounds, and he could really help opposite Mario Williams. As teams run the ball away from Williams, the Texans need a stout player holding up the strong side. Jackson will never get the protection schemes his way and he should generate some needed pass rush from the left side. His 4.96 time in the 40 is a bit pedestrian, but his 27 tackles for a loss and 18.5 sacks during his career at LSU make him a solid pick.

Team Pick Analysis

16. San Diego Chargers
Rey Maualuga
LB, USC Maualuga is a perfect fit as the strong inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He would bring the passion that hasn't been around at the position since Junior Seau.

Team Pick Analysis

17. New York Jets
Hakeem Nicks
WR, North Carolina Nicks is the big receiver the Jets have been looking for to play opposite Jerricho Cotchery. The Jets could be looking at a cornerback or defensive end, but Nicks should be the highest-graded player on the board. His postseason bowl performance removed any doubt about his first-round grade.

Team Pick Analysis

18. Chicago Bears
Michael Oher
OT, Mississippi The Bears got old at tackle in a hurry, and the retirement of John Tait created a sense of urgency. Chris Williams should be good at right tackle and Oher could man the left side. In one pick, Chicago cements its young bookends for the next 10 years. Always like a tackle with over 45 college starts.

Team Pick Analysis

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Aaron Maybin
DE/LB, Penn State Pay close attention to what the Bucs do in free agency. Former GM Bruce Allen left the team with more salary-cap space than anyone could imagine. For now, a young player like Maybin, who could be groomed at linebacker and rush the passer, makes sense. I'm not so sure Maybin can play linebacker. As one GM told me, "He's a 250-pound pass rusher who can't do much else." His combine performance in linebacker drills suggests he may be able to drop back in coverage. I might like him more in a 3-4 defense, but he is intriguing at this point in the draft. His lack of experience (10 college starts) could move him down the draft in the weeks to come.

Team Pick Analysis

20. Detroit Lions
(from Dallas Cowboys)
Mark Sanchez
QB, USC It could work out that the Lions get their QB on their second pick in the first round. Sanchez needs a great pro day to get back into the top 10. If he doesn't wow the offensive coordinators, he could slide down in the draft to this spot. Sanchez has the skills to win in the NFL, but he will need time to develop -- and Detroit may not have the time to let him learn from the bench.

Team Pick Analysis

21. Philadelphia Eagles

Eben Britton
OT, Arizona The Eagles need an offensive tackle, and this is the last player at that position that grades out as a first-rounder. They might decide to take a look at Connecticut's William Beatty a bit later and take a running back or wide receiver here, but history shows Andy Reid likes to take guys in the first round who play with their hand on the ground.

Team Pick Analysis

22. Minnesota Vikings

Percy Harvin
WR, Florida Another playmaker for the passing game would be nice for whomever wins the QB job in Minnesota. The Vikings may be tempted to take a defenstive tackle like Peria Jerry to get in the rotation with Pat Williams, but they got good effort from their backups last year. Harvin would light up the Metrodome working out of the slot.

Team Pick Analysis

23. New England Patriots

Knowshon Moreno
RB, Georgia Kevin Faulk isn't getting any younger, Laurence Maroney has issues staying healthy and you can never have enough good running backs. Moreno has a chance to be like Tiki Barber, an all-around back.

Team Pick Analysis

24. Atlanta Falcons

Peria Jerry
DT, Mississippi The Falcons have to beef up the middle of their defense with solid young run stoppers. Jerry is a 300-pound run stuffer who will not be available later in the draft. His 32 tackles for a loss in the last two years at Mississippi tells you the kind of inside force he can be.

Team Pick Analysis

25. Miami Dolphins

Larry English
DE/LB, Northern Illinois I've interviewed English three times already, and he is an impressive young man who looks like Takeo Spikes and plays with a tireless motor. In the Dolphins' 3-4 defense, he could line up at OLB and get after the QB. His 31.5 sacks and 57 tackles for a loss in college make him the perfect complement to Joey Porter. He had two handheld 40-yard dash times under 4.8.

Team Pick Analysis

26. Baltimore Ravens

Darius Butler
CB, Connecticut The Ravens may want another corner, but for now the UConn corner gets the call. Some of the other corners are in the 5-foot-8 range and the Ravens may be looking for someone a bit taller. Butler measured in at 5-foot-10 3/8 and was impressive in his interviews.

Team Pick Analysis

27. Indianapolis Colts

James Laurinaitis
LB, Ohio State Laurinaitis may be slipping out of the first round after his 4.80 time in the 40, but his college production -- 375 tackles with nine interceptions and 13 sacks -- says he belongs among the top 32 players. His stats speak volumes about his playmaking ability. The combine didn't help him, but the game tapes will.

Team Pick Analysis

28. Philadelphia Eagles
(from Carolina Panthers)
Kenny Britt
WR, Rutgers The Eagles could take a big running back like Chris "Beanie" Wells from Ohio State here, but Britt gets the call this week. He's big (6-foot-2 7/8, 214 pounds) and explosive. He would be a nice complement to DeSean Jackson. If the Eagles sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh during free agency, then they're set to take a running back.

Team Pick Analysis

29. New York Giants
Michael Johnson
DE, Georgia Tech Johnson is not without his critics, but the combine really helped him regain some of his first-round status. There was no one like him physically in Indianapolis, as he checked in at 6-foot-6 7/8, 266 pounds with a 4.67 time in the 40. He can move like a linebacker, rush the passer and probably be a short-yardage tight end. In the weeks to come, he will be moving up the draft board and probably be gone by the time the Giants select.

Team Pick Analysis

30. Tennessee Titans
Robert Ayers
DE, Tennessee Ayers made a statement at the Senior Bowl that he can play the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage when asked. He thinks he's headed to a 3-4 team as an outside linebacker, which may be true, but he really fits in with the Titans. There are some concerns about his bench press (18 reps), but as one GM said, "The last thing I worry about is strength. We can fix that."

Team Pick Analysis

31. Arizona Cardinals
Evander Hood
DT, Missouri Hood had a good combine and looked impressive in drill work. He did not come to Indianapolis as a first-round candidate, but he may be leaving as one. At 6-foot-2 7/8 and 300 pounds with 34 reps on the bench press and a sub-4.9 40, his stock is rising.

Team Pick Analysis

32. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jarron Gilbert
DE, San Jose State The world champs need to find a 5-technique player to be in a rotation with starters Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. Gilbert came to Indianapolis as a second- or third-round prospect, but the 6-foot-5, 288-pound player with 4.81 speed is moving up draft boards.

Here's a list of the next wave of players who could break into the first round by next week's mock draft: QB Josh Freeman, RB Chris "Beanie" Wells, TE Brandon Pettigrew, C Alex Mack, OT William Beatty, OLB Clay Mathews, CB D.J. Moore and CB Alphonso Smith.

So he's got us passing on both Stafford & Sanchez, with Stafford falling to 8 (JAX) and Sanchez falling to 20 (DET)

Mecca
02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Pat Kirwan thinks they're to short...I'm not kidding...

But this is a guy that worked for the Jets so his draft takes should be taken with that grain of salt, there are videos about how shitty the Jets were at drafting.

ChiefRon
02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
OMG, I thought those mocks were bad

http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/1053679-p2.html

1. Lions - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College - Having worked with Albert Haynesworth in Tennessee, new Lions coach Jim Schwartz understands the impact a space-eating defensive tackle can have.

2. Rams - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - Steve Spagnuolo will be tempted to target a pure pass rusher, but one year after selecting Chris Long, the Rams will target a different kind of playmaker in the front seven.

3. Chiefs - Brian Orapko, DE/OLB, Texas - Last year, Kansas City generated the fewest sacks since the stat was first tabulated, and Orapko looks like a bona fide edge pass rusher.

4. Seahawks - Jason Smith, T, Baylor - Smith has stepped into the top-five void left by Andre Smith, and the Seahawks will groom him as Walter Jones' eventual replacement.

5. Browns - Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State - Another team with a weak pass rush will seek a playmaker off the edge.

6. Bengals - Eugene Monroe, T, Virginia - Cincinnati has bigger problems on the interior of the offensive line, but given Stacy Andrews' injury situation, tackle serves a need as well.

7. Raiders - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech - JaMarcus Russell needs some receivers in a big way, and for all his injury and size questions, Crabtree still looks like the best target available.

8. Jaguars - Andre Smith, T, Alabama - We all know the Jaguars aren't too concerned with character issues, so they'll take a gamble on Smith at No. 8.

9. Packers - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC - Packers struggled to stop the run last year, and will hope that Maualuga can develop into a Lofa Tatupu-type at middle linebacker.

10. 49ers - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - He won't fall as far as Aaron Rodgers or Brady Quinn, but once he gets past the Chiefs at No. 3, Stafford won't find a suitable match until the Niners are on the clock.

BigChiefFan
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Pat Kirwan thinks they're to short...I'm not kidding...

But this is a guy that worked for the Jets so his draft takes should be taken with that grain of salt, there are videos about how shitty the Jets were at drafting.They AREN'T the prototypical heigth, you look for in a QB. That doesn't make it right, but teams always look for the 6'3"+ guy. All it is, is a measurable amongst many of them, but there's no denying it is taken into the equation when evaluating players.

googlegoogle
02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
The dend didn't dominate like everyone would like.

Does this automatically mean he'll be a bad player?

veist
02-26-2009, 03:38 AM
If Raji is there at #9 I can't see the Packers passing on him, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he is the #1 guy on their board.

He's not even the best DE of ANY type/skillset. And we'd make him the FIRST overall drafted DE?

Screw that. Would rather have Everett Brown if we go DE.

Agree about why not to get Orakpo but I dunno that I'd be any happier with Brown considering his vert and broad jumps at the combine. Both were really unimpressive for a guy that was supposed to be a superior athlete, if his pro day numbers are just as unimpressive it would kind of make me worry about his ability to get past blockers with anything but speed.

Mecca
02-26-2009, 04:12 AM
That's pretty much what Brown is, he's a speed rusher that uses spin moves and things like that...