PDA

View Full Version : Connor Barwin

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Connor Barwin (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/connor-barwin?id=71197#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis)

Analysis

Positives: Tall with a well-developed upper body. ... Physical at the point of attack. ... Can get under the offensive tackle's pads and push him into the quarterback. ... Has effective stutter and spin moves. ... Relentless as a pass rusher, he also hustles down the line and chases ballcarriers downfield. ... Good backfield awareness to knock down passes and keep contain on reverses, run plays and bootlegs. ... Uses his hands well to keep blockers away and shed to make tackles. ... Stands up on some plays -- may fit as a 3-4 rush linebacker. ... Very coachable because of his intelligence, work ethic and motor. ... A special teams ace since his freshman year; he blocked three punts in 2008. ... Played power forward for the Bearcats' basketball team for two seasons as a walk-on.

Negatives: A bit tight in the hips, is not smooth changing direction or handling coverage in the flat. ... Is not a quick-twitch athlete. ... Although he showed some explosiveness and suddenness off the edge, NFL tackles will be more difficult to beat. ... Inexperienced on defense, played only one season; must continue working on his pass-rushing techniques.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
The kid could be a steal, the thing that really jumped at me was he's a basketball player too, and past players that delved in that area have had pretty successful careers with that type of athletic ability.

bdeg
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
What really jumped out at me was his broad jump. I think it was 10'8. For a kid his ize that's amazing. I've been high on this kid ever since I read that and watched his highlights, I think he has the potential to be the next Jared.

bdeg
02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
The scouting report is not accurate when it says he's not a quick twitch athlete. The elite broad jump and 40" vert show he has explosion.

B_Ambuehl
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Do you have any film on him? What they're referring to as quick twitch ability is different than explosiveness. Matt Jones was explosive and tested well, but doesn't play with any quickness or suddenness in his moves or his game. Guys like Brian Cushing are the same way. That doesnt' mean they can't be good players though, just a clarification of terms.

bdeg
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Do you have any film on him? What they're referring to as quick twitch ability is different than explosiveness. Matt Jones was explosive and tested well, but doesn't play with any quickness or suddenness in his moves or his game. Guys like Brian Cushing are the same way. That doesnt' mean they can't be good players though, just a clarification of terms.

Ya I'll find that film and pick out the time for ya give me a min. I definitely saw that he had developed the quick twitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79CJdrxZbo

Check out 1:25 on that one. And 2:29

bdeg
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM

And you want suddenness and agility watch 1:50, where he had to read the play in space.

B_Ambuehl
02-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for posting that video. I agree with your assessment about the scouting report being wrong about him. You're not gonna find many 6'4 260 pound guys more quick twitch than what he shows on the tape there.

warrior
02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the Barwin band wagon.

bdeg
02-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Back to quick moves, actually Cushing was the only DL or LB to show better agility in the 3cone at the combine. And by .03