PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Sam Farmer's first mock NFL draft

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Sam Farmer's first mock NFL draft (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-nfl-draft27-2009feb27,0,1437305,full.story)
The Times' NFL expert gives an early look at just who may be going where when NFL teams make their choices in April.
By Sam Farmer

12:11 PM PST, February 26, 2009

The NFL draft will be held April 25 and 26 at Radio City Music Hall in New York. Here are Times NFL expert Sam Farmer's early picks:

1. Detroit -- QB Matt Stafford, Georgia: Lions are desperate for a quarterback, and Stafford is the best of the bunch.

2. St. Louis -- OT Jason Smith, Baylor: Rams could groom Smith to replace Orlando Pace at left tackle.

3. Kansas City -- OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest: Curry would instantly upgrade a defense that had just 10 sacks last season, the fewest in NFL history.

4. Seattle - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia: Lots of mocks have Crabtree here, but Seahawks need an heir apparent to LT Walter Jones.

5. Cleveland - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College: Browns will need a DT if the Shaun Rogers situation goes south - and it looks to be headed that way.

6. Cincinnati -- WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech: If T.J. Houshmandzadeh goes, Crabtree could be a very nice target for Carson Palmer.

7. Oakland -- WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri: How could the Raiders resist a playmaker like this if he's still on the board?

8. New York Jets (proposed trade from Jacksonville) -- QB Mark Sanchez, USC: Sanchez is a better option than Kellen Clemens, Erik Ainge or Brett Ratliff.

9. Green Bay -- DE Brian Orakpo, Texas: Aaron Kampman isn't enough; the Packers need another pass rusher.

10. San Francisco - T Andre Smith, Alabama: Going AWOL at the combine didn't help, but Smith could be the most talented tackle in the draft.

11. Buffalo -- LB Brian Cushing, USC: There's a good chance the Trojans will have all three linebackers go in the first round.

12. Denver -- CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State: When Champ Bailey goes down -- as he did last season -- the Broncos' coverage holes are exposed.

13. Washington -- DE Everette Brown, Florida State: The Redskins haven't drafted a defensive lineman higher than the fifth round since 1997. That changes this year.

14. New Orleans -- CB Vontae Davis, Illinois: The younger brother of 49ers tight end Vernon Davis is raw, but a physical specimen.

15. Houston -- CB Darius Butler, Connecticut: The Texans need a safety but can get one later. Butler is among the best pure athletes in the draft.

16. San Diego -- RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia: If the Chargers part ways with LaDainian Tomlinson, they'll need an every-down back bigger than Darren Sproles.

17. Jacksonville (from NYJ) T Michael Oher, Mississippi: The Jaguars need to groom a left tackle who can handle the AFC South's speed rushers.

18. Chicago -- WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland: The Bears need a No. 1 receiver. But they also need a quarterback, so they might grab Sanchez or Freeman.

19. Tampa Bay -- QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State: This move would reunite Freeman and new Bucs Coach Raheem Morris, a former K-State assistant coach.

20. Detroit -- LB Rey Maualuga, USC: New Coach Jim Schwartz is a defensive guru who knows the importance of improving a unit ranked the league's worst the past two years.

21. Philadelphia -- RB Chris Wells, Ohio State: The Eagles need to re-establish a running game, something they can't do when Brian Westbrook is banged up.

22. Minnesota -- LB James Laurinaitis, Ohio State: The Vikings have other positions of need - namely quarterback, tackle and cornerback - but Laurinaitis would be tough to pass on here.

23. New England -- DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State: Maybin could help the Patriots at outside linebacker, where they're getting old with Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas.

24. Atlanta -- DE Tyson Jackson, LSU: Jackson looked good at the combine and could go higher than this, maybe in the teens.

25. Miami -- LB Clay Matthews, USC: Matthews could start and make an impact on a team that needs help at linebacker.

26. Baltimore -- CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest: Once strong at corner, the Ravens now have to focus on shoring up those spots with some long-term answers.

27. Indianapolis -- DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi: At 290, Jerry is on the light side for his position but he's quick and active, and that fits the Colts' Tampa-2 scheme.

28. Philadelphia -- T William Beatty, Connecticut: This could be a little high for Beatty, but if there's a run on offensive tackles like last year . . .

29. New York Giants -- WR Percy Harvin, Florida: The Giants need a playmaker at receiver -- who knows what the future holds for Plaxico Burress -- but can they risk taking a Florida speedster?

30. Tennessee -- WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina: Finally, the Titans have a chance to upgrade at receiver, where their top guy had just 41 catches last season.

31. Arizona -- RB Donald Brown, Connecticut: Brown was very impressive at the combine and is the top back on some boards.

32. Pittsburgh -- T Eben Britton, Arizona: Britton is an outstanding run blocker, and that's what the Steelers really need.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Aaron Curry is a sack artist now??????????

kstater
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I love the argument that a player with 9 sacks in 4 years will help the D get more sacks.

Pestilence
02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
So let me get this straight.

"Sanchez is a better option than Kellen Clemens, Erik Ainge or Brett Ratliff."

but Sanchez isn't better than Thigpen, Croyle and Gray?

Detoxing
02-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Yep. Now you got it. You're a true fan now, congrats!

warrior
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
but but Curry is the next R lewis D Brooks D Ware all rolled into one, he .can play all three LB positions by himself. We draft Curry and we can play the new 5-1-5 defense.

milkman
02-26-2009, 06:10 PM

Not only that, his value is such that the Jets would give up 2 or 3 picks, in addition to the #17 overall to move up 8 spots to select him, but he isn't good value at #3.

warrior
02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Not only that, his value is such that the Jets would give up 2 or 3 picks, in addition to the #17 overall to move up 8 spots to select him, but he isn't good value at #3.

Exactlly--Kind of like the logic of some of the posters on here.

kstater
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM

Maybe the Jets could be the coveted trading partner we're looking for.

milkman
02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Maybe the Jets could be the coveted trading partner we're looking for.

To move up that far, they'd have to give up their entire draft, and a couple picks next year.

melbar
02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
but but Curry is the next R lewis D Brooks D Ware all rolled into one, he .can play all three LB positions by himself. We draft Curry and we can play the new 5-1-5 defense.

Even better, Sanchez can play QB, G, C, RT, WR, DE, 3LB positions, NT, return kicks and kick field goals all by himself! He'll take us all the way to the Superbowl all by himself from his back! Now THATS value!

ChiefBrad
02-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Curry will help our defense big time. Sacks can come through a free agent... Curry will help in every phase of defense for a long time. He will be an impact linebacker.

ChiefBrad
02-26-2009, 09:16 PM
The guy that made this mock draft is nuts though if he thinks that crabtree will slip past the #4. I just don't see crabtree getting passed on like that

Mecca
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I can't imagine a guy with a broken foot would fall...man how shocking...

Mark Sanchez to the Jets is pretty popular gee I wonder why.

ChiefsCountry
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Curry will help our defense big time. Sacks can come through a free agent... Curry will help in every phase of defense for a long time. He will be an impact linebacker.

For the #3 pick in the draft and the money he gets paid, he has to be a sack artist.

The guy that made this mock draft is nuts though if he thinks that crabtree will slip past the #4. I just don't see crabtree getting passed on like that

Crabtree is going to fall like a rock.

ChiefsCountry
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Mark Sanchez to the Jets is pretty popular gee I wonder why.

New York needs a fucking star and they dont think podunk Kansas City deserves one.

DeezNutz
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM

Correct. It's a reach.

Now I'm ready for my reach around, True Fan. That was the deal for the above sentence.

BigChiefFan
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
I love Sanchez' accuracy-my only reluctance with him is, does he fit our offensive scheme? I believe he's suited for the WCO.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I love Sanchez' accuracy-my only reluctance with him is, does he fit our offensive scheme? I believe he's suited for the WCO.

His arm is on Peyton Manning's level so that's good enough.

SBK
02-26-2009, 10:50 PM
The sports media isn't left wing, it's true fan. The true fan media bias.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2009, 11:57 PM
:clap:

The sports media isn't left wing, it's true fan. The true fan media bias.

99% of the callers I ever hear on sports radio are True Fans through and through.

bdeg
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
:clap:

99% of the callers I ever hear on sports radio are True Fans through and through.
Definitely

doomy3
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
His arm is on Peyton Manning's level so that's good enough.

:spock:

bdeg
02-27-2009, 11:19 AM
arm-strength

doomy3
02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
arm-strength

Yeah, that doesn't change anything. Manning has far superior arm strength to Sanchez.

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that doesn't change anything. Manning has far superior arm strength to Sanchez.

actually it's about the same

doomy3
02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
actually it's about the same

now, how exactly did you come to that conclusion?

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
now, how exactly did you come to that conclusion?

Velocity of the ball, has the same range in deep routes ect...

HemiEd
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Velocity of the ball, has the same range in deep routes ect...

If that is true, I hope Pioli picks him.

doomy3
02-27-2009, 10:42 PM
If that is true, I hope Pioli picks him.

It's just too bad that it isn't close to true.

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM

:rolleyes:

the kid has an arm equal to manning

milkman
02-28-2009, 03:35 AM

Funny story Bill Polian tells in interviews when he discusses the decision of whether to draft Manning or Leaf.

Aside from concerns that Manning had maxed out his potential in college, they questioned whether he had the arm strength to be anything more than a system QB.

The reason it's funny is that it;s exactly the same question that is being asked here.

Sanchez has comparable arm strength.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Funny story Bill Polian tells in interviews when he discusses the decision of whether to draft Manning or Leaf.

Aside from concerns that Manning had maxed out his potential in college, they questioned whether he had the arm strength to be anything more than a system QB.

The reason it's funny is that it;s exactly the same question that is being asked here.

Sanchez has comparable arm strength.

I don't think some people understand arm strength, how strong peoples arms are and the like...

Dave Lane
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM

Shit He's Rich Scanlon!!

L.A. Chieffan
03-02-2009, 12:53 AM

sam farmer is a pretty smart guy, i read his stuff all the time. thinking crabtree will fall below #4 is not nuts

milkman
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
sam farmer is a pretty smart guy, i read his stuff all the time. thinking crabtree will fall below #4 is not nuts

Seattle signing Housh makes it even more likely that Crabtree falls.