PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto See if you can figure this out...

sedated
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I hate to interrupt all the free agency love, but was wondering if you car experts could help me figure this problem out.

The keyless remote for my car will lock and unlock my doors, but it won't turn the alarm on. I also noticed that soon after this problem started, my head and tail lights don't flash like they used to when I use the keyless remote.

Also, the inside dome light doesn't come on when I open my drivers side door, but it will come on when I open my passenger side door. However, the lights on the doors will come on when the drivers side door is open.

I checked the dash to see if my car wasn't registering that my drivers side door was open or shut, but it does.

Any ideas?

MagicHef
02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Fuse.

keg in kc
Antifreeze.

JASONSAUTO
what do you drive

cdcox
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Electrical problem.

MIAdragon
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
It sounds like the driver side door sensor is bad.

mlyonsd
02-27-2009, 04:14 PM
My wife's 10 year old Bonneville does screwy stuff like this some times. One time the dome light wouldn't shut off at all.

I unhooked the battery for a few minutes and it fixed that problem, but it still has wierd electrical problems from time to time.

blueballs
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
trade it

JASONSAUTO
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM

yep

Toadkiller
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
check the jpeg

HemiEd
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM

this

Floridafan
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
too much headlight fluid

sedated
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM

that's the first thing I thought.

but the dash indicates the door is open when its open, so at least part of the car knows its open. Also the lights on the door; its just the dome light that doesn't work.

and how would this prevent my head and tail lights from flashing when I lock and unlock with the keyless remote?

sedated
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
what do you drive

02 accord

but my other ride is a motorcycle with a seat overflowing with naked hot chicks

mlyonsd
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
that's the first thing I thought.

but the dash indicates the door is open when its open, so at least part of the car knows its open. Also the lights on the door; its just the dome light that doesn't work.

and how would this prevent my head and tail lights from flashing when I lock and unlock with the keyless remote?

Seriously, I'd try unhooking the battery.

MagicHef
02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Check your fuses.

Baconeater
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Definitely an electrical problem.

stlchiefs
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Check the water level in your fuse box.

sedated
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Definitely an electrical problem.

thanks, I thought it might have been the tires.

:p

Baconeater
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Is the alarm an aftermarket installation?

sedated
02-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Is the alarm an aftermarket installation?

nope

rtmike
02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Seriously, I'd try unhooking the battery.

+ 2

Baconeater
02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
nope
Then take it to a dealer, you'll never track the problem down on your own.

kstater
02-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Stupid suggestion, but you got to start simple. Try changing the battery on the remote.

JASONSAUTO
02-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Stupid suggestion, but you got to start simple. Try changing the battery on the remote.

but it will unlock and lock the doors, kinda crazy. dealer is your best bet

Hog Farmer
02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
It sounds like the driver has been smoking too much weed.

FYP!

Bwana
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Poltergeist?

sedated
02-27-2009, 08:31 PM

actually, a couple weeks ago I had to slap the remote a few times to get it to work. But I didn't see any connection with that to the dome light not coming on when I opened the drivers door, yet coming on when I opened the passenger door.

it could be multiple problems I guess.

MTG#10
02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Buy your car a new Bra and tell it it doesnt look fat.

sedated
02-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Once again, I hate to interrupt the Cassel love/hate party, but an interesting follow-up from today:

I wake up an decide to take my car to get a dignostic check, don't want to deal with all the weird electrical shit. Turns out there's 4-6 inches of snow this morning. I go downstairs, turn on my car to warm it up, and grab my snow scraper.

After a good 10 minutes of sweeping snow off my car, I go to get into my toasty car, but...the doors have locked themselves again. :cuss:

My apartment keys are in there too. Luckily I had my phone and AAA card, but I'm stuck waiting 30 minutes for AAA, my keys locked in my car while the engine runs, standing in the middle of the road with no place to go for shelter, as the snow accumulates on my uncovered head.

luv
02-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Once again, I hate to interrupt the Cassel love/hate party, but an interesting follow-up from today:

I wake up an decide to take my car to get a dignostic check, don't want to deal with all the weird electrical shit. Turns out there's 4-6 inches of snow this morning. I go downstairs, turn on my car to warm it up, and grab my snow scraper.

After a good 10 minutes of sweeping snow off my car, I go to get into my toasty car, but...the doors have locked themselves again. :cuss:

My apartment keys are in there too. Luckily I had my phone and AAA card, but I'm stuck waiting 30 minutes for AAA, my keys locked in my car while the engine runs, standing in the middle of the road with no place to go for shelter, as the snow accumulates on my uncovered head.

I'm always scared that I'm going to do the same thing. Whenever I clean off my car, I make sure I have my phone in my pocket, and I double check the door to make sure it's not locked before closing it.

Baconeater
02-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Heh. I just bought a truck that automatically locks the doors once you start driving and I absolutely hate it. I know somehow, some way, I'm going to get locked out of the fucking thing because of them.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Heh. I just bought a truck that automatically locks the doors once you start driving and I absolutely hate it. I know somehow, some way, I'm going to get locked out of the fucking thing because of them.

what truck do you own? some models you can turn auto lock off in the convenience center

sedated
02-28-2009, 09:02 PM
I double check the door to make sure it's not locked before closing it.

I do that too.

But its a different situation when your car decides to lock the doors randomly.

Until I get it fixed, I'm never going to close my doors when the keys are inside.

Its unfortunate I learned that lesson during a blizzard, with my engine was running, and I couldn't get into my apartment.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I do that too.

But its a different situation when your car decides to lock the doors randomly.

Until I get it fixed, I'm never going to close my doors when the keys are inside.

just crack the window enough to get your hand in, at my shop we NEVER close a door with keys inside without the window cracked.

sedated
02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Heh. I just bought a truck that automatically locks the doors once you start driving and I absolutely hate it. I know somehow, some way, I'm going to get locked out of the ****ing thing because of them.

do you often start driving when you aren't in your truck?

sedated
02-28-2009, 09:09 PM
just crack the window enough to get your hand in

did I mention it was during a blizzard and there was at least 6 inches of snow on my car?

just a matter of fukt up timing is all.

JASONSAUTO
do you often start driving when you aren't in your truck?

ROFL funny but it happens, a guy last year was putting his boat in the lake and got out with it in drive, shut the door which locked, and drive in idle didnt hold the truck and boat, therefore 2008 ford superduty and boat and trailer go into lake, AND to top it all off the truck ran ober his feetROFL i shouldnt laugh the guy was 65-70 years old

JASONSAUTO
did I mention it was during a blizzard and there was at least 6 inches of snow on my car?

you mentioned that but would you rather get a little snow on the seat or locked out?

luv
02-28-2009, 09:10 PM

I do believe you said 4 inches. :p

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I do believe you said 4 inches. :p

still which is worse a little snow on the seat or being locked out in a blizzard with a running car? hint snow is frozen and wipes right off

sedated
02-28-2009, 09:11 PM
ROFL funny but it happens, a guy last year was putting his boat in the lake and got out with it in drive, shut the door which locked, and drive in idle didnt hold the truck and boat, therefore 2008 ford superduty and boat and trailer go into lake, AND to top it all off the truck ran ober his feetROFL i shouldnt laugh the guy was 65-70 years old

left the truck in drive? sounds like a darwin award. I love seeing videos of those blue-hairs chasing their buick down the street because they forgot to put it in park.

sedated
02-28-2009, 09:13 PM
still which is worse a little snow on the seat or being locked out in a blizzard with a running car? hint snow is frozen and wipes right off

I didn't expect my car to go poltergeist and lock for no reason. It was early and I was groggy I guess, but I've let my car warm a thousand times with no problem.

Skip Towne
02-28-2009, 09:14 PM

Get a magnetic hide-a-key box and put an extra door/apt. key in it and stick it up under the bumper

luv
Get a magnetic hide-a-key box and put an extra door/apt. key in it and stick it up under the bumper

Well, now that I know how to get into his apartment...

JASONSAUTO
left the truck in drive? sounds like a darwin award. I love seeing videos of those blue-hairs chasing their buick down the street because they forgot to put it in park.

yeah the tow truck and diver showed up and all you could see was the boat floating over the trailer and truck. several years ago another old man thought he had the truck in drive it was actually in reverse he guns it ends up in the lake in october by himself seatbelted in and drowned, once again a 70+yr old man at night sad sad deal

sedated
02-28-2009, 09:15 PM
on a side note, I tried to get an extra key made 6 months ago, but all new car keys have a bullshit "chip" that makes keys cost well over $100

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:15 PM
on a side note, I tried to get an extra key made 6 months ago, but all new car keys have a bullshit "chip" that makes keys cost well over $100

and dealer only. :mad:

PHOG
02-28-2009, 09:16 PM
did you try teh batteries in teh remote?

Baconeater
02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
what truck do you own? some models you can turn auto lock off in the convenience center
'99 Dakota.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
did you try the batteries in teh remote?

it still locks and unlocks the door. really strange

kstater
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM

My hide-a-key is sitting somewhere on the side of an Arkansas road.

PHOG
02-28-2009, 09:20 PM

try changing them anyways....

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:20 PM
'99 Dakota.

dont think thats new enough. does it have a convenience center above the center console that has settings? oil life monitor? compass. you know what i mean? alot of chrysler products do.if so i'll look at my jeep tomorrow and see what i had to do to shut it off . i'm sorry but its cold wet and covered in snow tonight:D

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:21 PM
try changing them anyways....

yeah its worth a try, would be the cheapest fix

PHOG
02-28-2009, 09:21 PM

No matter if your're in the car or not?

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
No matter if your're in the car or not?

yep, at least thats how i took it from an earlier post

Baconeater
02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
dont think thats new enough. does it have a convenience center above the center console that has settings? oil life monitor? compass. you know what i mean? alot of chrysler products do.if so i'll look at my jeep tomorrow and see what i had to do to shut it off . i'm sorry but its cold wet and covered in snow tonight:D
It has the deal with the compass and air temp readout in the overhead console, would that be it? I didn't get an owner's manual with it.

kstater
02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm telling you, change the batteries.

kstater
02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Jason, you're a mechanic. K.I.S.S.

It's always something stupid that you'd never expect.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
It has the deal with the compass and air temp readout in the overhead console, would that be it? I didn't get an owner's manual with it.

some early ones only had temp and compass, some also have settings there, lights flash when doors are locked, horn honks or not, auto door locks, oil life monitor...etc, like i said check that tomorrow let me know if you have settings and cant figure it out i'll look at my jeep and walk you through it

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Jason, you're a mechanic. K.I.S.S.

It's always something stupid that you'd never expect.

trust me i know that, but with everything else working and not being able to see it its tough. just trying to help

Baconeater
02-28-2009, 09:30 PM
some early ones only had temp and compass, some also have settings there, lights flash when doors are locked, horn honks or not, auto door locks, oil life monitor...etc, like i said check that tomorrow let me know if you have settings and cant figure it out i'll look at my jeep and walk you through it
I just went out to the garage and checked it out, I cycled through everything and it just had distance to empty, fuel mileage, trip odo and so forth. Nothing about any settings.

I just need to get out of the habit of leaving the keys in it all the time. :D

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:32 PM
I just went out to the garage and checked it out, I cycled through everything and it just had distance to empty, fuel mileage, trip odo and so forth. Nothing about any settings.

I just need to get out of the habit of leaving the keys in it all the time. :D

our last jeep was a 2001 and the current one is 2003 so they are a little newer sorry i couldnt help, i will try to find out how you can disable that for you. theres a way

Baconeater
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
our last jeep was a 2001 and the current one is 2003 so they are a little newer sorry i couldnt help, i will try to find out how you can disable that for you. theres a way
That would be friggin' awesome, I swear that's the dumbest feature I've ever had on a vehicle. I don't understand what the point of it is at all.

PHOG
02-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Unhook the car battery should reset everything.....and then replace your remote batteries....and then....find an owners manual or someone familiar with your model....that's all I can think of.(if none of that works) good luck!

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:38 PM
That would be friggin' awesome, I swear that's the dumbest feature I've ever had on a vehicle. I don't understand what the point of it is at all.

somewhere the power has to go from the p/n switch to the door locks. find out which wire, probably going to a relay clip it. i'll go through some wiring diagrams monday and see if there are any easy ways.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Unhook the car battery should reset everything.....and then replace your remote batteries....and then....find an owners manual or someone familiar with your model....that's all I can think of.(if none of that works) good luck!

i think we are talking about two different situations here, i dont have a problem sedated does:D my advice to him was dealer if batteries dont work.

PHOG
02-28-2009, 09:42 PM
i think we are talking about two different situations here, i dont have a problem sedated does:D my advice to him was dealer if batteries dont work.
Oh, OK....missed the 2 different problems, JB tends to do that to me....anyways, good luck...and ....... HOW 'BOUT THEM CHIEFS!!!!!

g'night

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh, OK....missed the 2 different problems, JB tends to do that to me....anyways, good luck...and ....... HOW 'BOUT THEM CHIEFS!!!!!

g'night

cool cool. HELL YEAH ON THE CHIEFS

luv
02-28-2009, 09:55 PM

g'night

g'night?