PDA

View Full Version : Life Rookie Debut with the WSM

runnercyclist
02-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Well my Weber Smoky Mountain smoker is smokin' and there is a 10 pound picnic roast on the rack. It's been on since 5:30AM. I plan to add a couple of racks of ribs at about noon.

I hope this is the start of a beautiful relationship!

runnercyclist
02-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Best ribs ever and the pulled pork was incredible.

You need one of these!

MTG#10
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Best ribs ever and the pulled pork was incredible.

You need one of these!

Im glad you liked it. One of the best purchases Ive ever made.

dtrain
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I just put on 2 nice thick and juicy steaks on my smoker after marinating them for over 24 hours in my special homemade marinade. Can't wait to enjoy it woo hoo :D

runnercyclist
03-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Let me know how your steaks turn out. I think pork is a no brainer in the smoker. Little charcoal, little hickory chunk, = Amazing.

Chicken and Turkey with Mesquite I would imagine great results.

I guess that beef ribs would be similar. But I am interested in what other cuts of beef the Planet has had success smoking and the technique.

Thanks!

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Let me know how your steaks turn out. I think pork is a no brainer in the smoker. Little charcoal, little hickory chunk, = Amazing.

I guess that beef ribs would be similar. But I am interested in what other cuts of beef the Planet has had success smoking and the technique.

Thanks!

Mesquite is a little too powerful for chicken and turkey, I only use it for beef. And steaks arent very good slow smoked, I would just grill them close to the fire with a couple pieces of mesquite or hickory.

runnercyclist
03-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Mesquite is a little too powerful for chicken and turkey, I only use it for beef. And steaks arent very good slow smoked, I would just grill them close to the fire with a couple pieces of mesquite or hickory.

I'd heard that about steaks. I'd not heard that about chicken or turkey. I would think just a bit of mesquite would flavor chicken quite nicely. Cheap enough to experiment with I guess.

What types of beef do you smoke?

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I'd heard that about steaks. I'd not heard that about chicken or turkey. I would think just a bit of mesquite would flavor chicken quite nicely. Cheap enough to experiment with I guess.

What types of beef do you smoke?

I use cherry or apple and a little bit of hickory for turkey and chicken. The only beef I smoke is brisket and I tried beef ribs once but I was a bit dissappointed, mainly because they didnt have enough meat on them.

runnercyclist
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Do you use mops or just leave it alone?

I left the roast and the ribs alone and they were great.

Buehler445
03-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Thanks!

Ribs, pork butt/roast mainly.

Chicken is pretty quick easy and good.

doomy3
03-01-2009, 11:03 PM
The WSM is amazing. So easy to use, and the thing just cooks well.