PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs SI.com: Chiefs compensation for Cassel/Vrabel "laughably low"

KCChiefsFan88
02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/02/28/cassel.traded.chiefs/index.html?eref=T1

Patriots could have asked for more

The mind kind of boggles at a couple things dealing with the Matt Cassel-to-Kansas City trade Saturday. First off, I'm struck by the fact that last September 7 it was Kansas City safety Bernard Pollard who crashed into Tom Brady's left knee, ending his 2008 season and sending Cassel onto the NFL stage for what was effectively the first time in his four-year pro career.

And now, not quite six months later, Cassel and Pollard will be Chiefs teammates, with Scott Pioli, the Patriots longtime personnel guru, on the scene in K.C. as the architect of the franchise's rebuilding program.

Small world, this NFL.

I doubt it'll happen, but in a still, quiet moment in the Chiefs locker room some day, I'm guessing Cassel finds a way to let Pollard know how he wound up benefiting Cassel -- transforming him from a career backup to a well-paid starting quarterback. Not a "Thanks for blowing out Brady's knee,'' mind you, but an understanding that without Pollard's hit, maybe Cassel's moment would have never arrived. If I'm Pollard, I might even bring it up first.

Secondly, and this one's going to be discussed and dissected more than the state of Matt Walsh's video skills in early 2002, but the second-round pick compensation the Chiefs gave up for both Cassel and fellow Patriot, linebacker Mike Vrabel, is so laughably low that we must ask whether Bill Belichick has grown soft before our very eyes?

First Tom Brady is caught numerous times looking like Gisele's well-dressed errand boy, now this. Belichick doing both Pioli and Cassel a huge favor by not demanding more than the 34th overall pick in the draft for two players who could have brought far more in value from about 30 other NFL teams.

Mr. Nice Guy, Bill Belichick. I don't know that we should get used to that idea, but in this case he unquestionably did a nice thing for two people he feels a kinship for and considers friends. And that's going to make us think a bit differently of Belichick's image and reputation for a while.

Maybe he's even looking to soften his gruff, all-business persona to some degree, because like one veteran league observer reminded me Friday afternoon, even Bill Parcells got a little kinder and gentler as his long career went on. The demanding my-way-or-the-highway Parcells of those early Giants years was not the same, occasionally tolerant and even sentimental guy we've seen on the job in Dallas or Miami. Time softens everyone a bit, I suppose.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, are the big winners of this first weekend of NFL free agency. They've got themselves a 27-year-old, still-on-the-way-up starting quarterback in Cassel, a respected veteran defensive and locker room leader in Vrabel -- who can still make a play or two, we might add -- and remarkably enough, they've retained the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

Not that I had them taking a quarterback in my most recent mock draft, but we now know they can sit there and wait to see if either Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry falls to them, or they get to pick one of the two top-ranked offensive tackles, either Baylor's Jason Smith or Virginia's Eugene Monroe. Pioli also now has the option of shopping the third overall pick, and perhaps recouping the second-round selection they just dealt, and much more.

There's lot more work to be done in Kansas City. And maybe even a couple more high-profile trades executed, at least if disgruntled running back Larry Johnson and tight end Tony Gonzalez get their wish. But after hitting rock bottom in 2008, with a 2-14 record that made it 23 losses in their past 25 games, the Chiefs are on their way back.

Strangely enough, they have the unlikely pair of Bernard Pollard and Bill Belichick to thank for that.

big nasty kcnut
02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Fuck off si.com.
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
**** off si.com.
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock:

Did you even read the article?

They're saying we got a great deal.

Agent V
02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Fuck off si.com.
Posted via Mobile Device
Uh.....

Stewie
02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
:spock:

Did you even read the article?

They're saying we got a great deal.

Well, it did have punctuation and stuff. That kind of gets in the way sometimes.

buddha
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
That guy has 8,370 posts, a picture of a guy not even on the team, and he's pissed off that KC just pulled of a great trade. It just goes to show that some people will piss and moan about absolutely anything.

wild1
02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Kitna to the Cowboys
Dawkins to the Broncos
Sheppard to the Jets

tons of action today

Pioli Zombie
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Neither team was hosed. The patriots got #34 and 20 million in cap space. Brady is healthy so Cassel won't play

Great trade both teams
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRock
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I want a Bill Simmons column and I want it now.

tomahawk kid
02-28-2009, 02:25 PM

As if that little worm wasn't negative towards KC enough......

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, Pioli gets Cassel AND a former pro bowl LB who fits our new defense for a second rounder.

Carl pisses off St. Loser and then has to cave and send our first rounder for Trent Green, at the time a career backup 8th round pick with a bad knee.

I'd say it looks like a pretty good get for Pioli...

KcMizzou
02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
LMAO

alanm
02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Kitna to the Cowboys
Dawkins to the Broncos
Sheppard to the Jets

tons of action todayI guess Kitna gone from Detroit pretty much ensures that Stafford will be the 1st pick.

stlchiefs
02-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I'd say Cassel owes Pollard a few steak dinners. At a MINIMUM.

RustShack
02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I guess Kitna gone from Detroit pretty much ensures that Stafford will be the 1st pick.

Why? Culpepper is their starter not Kitna.

StcChief
02-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Pioli gets Cassel AND a former pro bowl LB who fits our new defense for a second rounder.

Carl pisses off St. Loser and then has to cave and send our first rounder for Trent Green, at the time a career backup 8th round pick with a bad knee.

I'd say it looks like a pretty good get for Pioli...this.

Just shows how bad Carl really was..... mr. hard a$$ saving Lamar's money.

RINGLEADER
02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
PFT summed it up nicely:

Daunte Culpepper with blown-out knee was traded for a second-round pick.
A.J. Feeley was traded for a second-round pick.

LMAO

PastorMikH
02-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I can't help but think that the reason for trade appearing to be so much in our favor was more of a profesional courtesy to Pioli for all he had done for the Pats. I wouldn't expect to see deals like this one on a regular basis - even with future trades with the Pats.

Gonzo
02-28-2009, 03:22 PM
That guy has 8,370 posts, a picture of a guy not even on the team, and he's pissed off that KC just pulled of a great trade. It just goes to show that some people will piss and moan about absolutely anything.

He's from Wichita...Just ignore it, he'll come off his meth bender soon.

Hog Farmer
02-28-2009, 03:23 PM
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43638

Post #10 WaaaaHaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

keg in kc
02-28-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't like Cassel, but it's hard to complain about the trade, value-wise. We got two players, one of them a franchise tagged QB, for a second round pick.

Thig Lyfe
02-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Fuck off si.com.
Posted via Mobile Device

lol

the Talking Can
02-28-2009, 03:53 PM
PFT summed it up nicely:

Daunte Culpepper with blown-out knee was traded for a second-round pick.
A.J. Feeley was traded for a second-round pick.

LMAO

that puts things into perspective quite nicely

PhillyChiefFan
02-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Why? Culpepper is their starter not Kitna.

He was a stop bleed though I thought, Kitna would have been starting if he was healthy, correct??

Bwana
02-28-2009, 04:20 PM
I am fired up about this trade, damn fired up. I think we got one hell of a deal.

tmax63
02-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Don't forget the Pats cleared about 20 mil in cap space to be able to sign folks they want/need. Doesn't show in the box score but it probably helps them about as much as the pick. And I do think it was professional courtesy that they probably offered a great deal to Pioli first when they could have had a dozen or more takers on a deal like this.

orange
02-28-2009, 05:57 PM
He was a stop bleed though I thought, Kitna would have been starting if he was healthy, correct??

No. The Lions announced a couple weeks ago that Culpepper's their man this year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
If Belichick could have gotten a better deal, he would have taken it.

beer bacon
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
I can't help but think that the reason for trade appearing to be so much in our favor was more of a profesional courtesy to Pioli for all he had done for the Pats. I wouldn't expect to see deals like this one on a regular basis - even with future trades with the Pats.

People also seem to think that since this was a good deal for the Chiefs, that means it couldn't possibly also be a good deal for the Patriots. The Patriots got a second round pick, and they cleared a ton of cap space. They were real tight on cap space, and now they have enough to go and sign a WR like T.J. Houzamandalalala. They also traded him to a team that probably won't be competing for a AFC title anytime soon.

blueballs
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
maybe they'll work out a contract with LJ
give a 7th and call it even

orange
02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43638

Post #10 WaaaaHaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The best thing about that is Spinal Tap's avatar. Yowza!!!

notorious
02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't like Cassel, but it's hard to complain about the trade, value-wise. We got two players, one of them a franchise tagged QB, for a second round pick.

This.

milkman
02-28-2009, 06:47 PM
If Belichick could have gotten a better deal, he would have taken it.

Good point that I doubt anyone else pays any attention to.

But given that, and the fact that we don't see Cassel as a franchise QB, we still have to acknowledge that Pioli didn't overpay for the guy he apparently believes in.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Good point that I doubt anyone else pays any attention to.

But given that, and the fact that we don't see Cassel as a franchise QB, we still have to acknowledge that Pioli didn't overpay for the guy he apparently believes in.

It's not a bad trade. A decent QB is worth a pick in that range. The problem is that it seems like people are incapable of thought on more than one level.

If the trade, as fair as it was, costs us a kid who has absolutely elite potential, and he fulfills it, it's a disaster.

I'm just fearful that we're going to find out how average Cassel is, and in two years we'll be back to needing a QB, but not bad enough to get a top level pick, and even that will be further complicated by the continued movement to the spread.

The perfect storm just dissolved.

notorious
02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
We are giving up the spread! Noooooooooo?!?!?! ROFL There goes the potential Colt McCoy/Chase Daniel dream draft!

milkman
02-28-2009, 06:54 PM
It's not a bad trade. A decent QB is worth a pick in that range. The problem is that it seems like people are incapable of thought on more than one level.

If the trade, as fair as it was, costs us a kid who has absolutely elite potential, and he fulfills it, it's a disaster.

I'm just fearful that we're going to find out how average Cassel is, and in two years we'll be back to needing a QB, but not bad enough to get a top level pick, and even that will be further complicated by the continued movement to the spread.

As I said in the "False Fan" thread, I said what I wanted about bringing Cassel.

I'm not sold on him, and hope like hell I'm wrong, but at this point, I'm not going to cry over spilled milk.

I have a lot of practice in not crying over spilled milk.

ChiefGator
02-28-2009, 06:54 PM
They also traded him to a team that probably won't be competing for a AFC title anytime soon.

Yep, thought the same thing. In that respect, it makes alot of sense. Not like they were going to trade him to the Jets or something.

ChiefsOne
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Should have given LJ for Cassel and kept the #2.

Bwana
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they would have went for that trade. :doh!:

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Yeah, because the Patriots totally would have gone for that...

big nasty kcnut
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
No but the article sorta sounded like we didn't deserve it. That we should of paid more.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsOne
02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they would have went for that trade. :doh!:

Sure they wouldn't have, just wishful thinking on my part. Everyone can dream, can't they!?

wazu
02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
The problem is that it seems like people are incapable of thought on more than one level.

It's not that we aren't capable of thinking negatively. It's that it doesn't do any good. I had wanted us to draft a QB. I completely get your point. But your approaching it from the "what if the worst thing happens" perspective. We got Cassel for a good value, so might as well focus on the positive.

Try playing it the other way and see if that helps you move forward without hating this offseason:

- What if Stafford/Sanchez are picked with the top two picks?
- What if Cassel improves with a year of experience under his belt?
- What if only one of the Stafford/Sanchez duo ends up being a star, but we got the wrong one?

Bwana
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
No but the article sorta sounded like we didn't deserve it. That we should of paid more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Neither here nor there, at least (I really think) we got one hell of a deal. It's been a long time since I have felt like that regarding a trade. It beats what Carl could have pulled out of his azz.

Bwana
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Sure they wouldn't have, just wishful thinking on my part. Everyone can dream, can't they!?

LOL, yes, yes they can.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 07:07 PM

i wonder why schefter keeps with the "other teams offered more at the last minute" bit if its not true?

Halfcan
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM

I'd say it looks like a pretty good get for Pioli...

:clap: Scott is the man!!