PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs "This team won't be successful until they draft and develop their own QB"

B_Ambuehl
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Where the hell did that argument go?

It will be funny watching how fast Gretz and all the other company men backpeddle on that topic. If Carl had made this same trade he'd be getting absolutely murdered for it.

|Zach|
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
If Carl had made this same trade he'd be getting absolutely murdered for it.

False.

nychief
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I guarantee that SP drafts a QB in the later rounds as well...

Mr. Krab
02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
i guess the Chiefs didn't think the top QB's in the draft were worth it.

doomy3
02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Pioli DID draft and develop his QB. And we just traded for him.

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 02:08 PM

It will be funny watching how fast Gretz and all the other company men backpeddle on that topic. If Carl had made this same trade he'd be getting absolutely murdered for it.

Poor Clark; he'll never get his franchise quarterback.

the Talking Can
02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
we just did draft a QB...the rest is semantics

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I guarantee that SP drafts a QB in the later rounds as well...

Yeah, and it'll probably be some shit-for brains like Harrell.

B_Ambuehl
02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
We "drafted" a QB? LOL. Clark must be putting some strong stuff in that kool-aid. This is the exact same crap the chiefs have always done at QB.

keg in kc
02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
The weird thing about this is that, if Cassel works out, then the Chiefs will have skipped the draft and develop part of the equation, but will have gotten a franchise quarterback at the point when (or before, even) he hits his prime.

Which would be a coup...

I just wish I had some faith that will actually happen.

wild1
02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
We "drafted" a QB? LOL. Clark must be putting some strong stuff in that kool-aid. This is the exact same crap the chiefs have always done at QB.

What is the difference between 26 year old Cassel and the QBs Carl traded for? about 6 to 8 years, I guess.

SNR
02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
It can be done.

John Elway, anyone? Brett Favre?

Just Passin' By

Who drafted Cassel?

ChiefsCountry
The weird thing about this is that, if Cassel works out, then the Chiefs will have skipped the draft and develop part of the equation, but will have gotten a franchise quarterback at the point when (or before, even) he hits his prime.

Which would be a coup...

I just wish I had some faith that will actually happen.

My feelings exactly.

keg in kc
02-28-2009, 02:17 PM
What is the difference between 26 year old Cassel and the QBs Carl traded for? about 6 to 8 years, I guess.Grbac was the same age, although that wasn't a trade (at least I don't think it was, I wasn't in KC yet).

doomy3
02-28-2009, 02:17 PM
This is closer to a trade for an unknown Favre or Steve Young than it is to a trade for Trent Green.

**Am in no way comparing Cassel to those guys, just pointing out where they were in their career paths.

doomy3
02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Who drafted Cassel?

Scott Pioli, who is our GM. He drafted and developed a QB.

Just Passin' By
02-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Exactly.....

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Grbac was the same age, although that wasn't a trade (at least I don't think it was, I wasn't in KC yet).

No it was free agency for Grbac.

jAZ
02-28-2009, 02:20 PM

We hired a GM who knows how to draft and develop and QB and he traded for his guy.

Six of one.
Half dozen of the other.
In this case.

The_Doctor10
02-28-2009, 02:22 PM

It goes away when Belichick and Brady draft and develop said quarterback and then give him to you for pennies on the dollar.

Baby Lee
02-28-2009, 02:41 PM
All that Stafford/Sanchez meat beating, gone to waste.

StcChief
02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
All that Stafford/Sanchez meat beating, gone to waste.thank God those threads will no longer appear here.
Pioli is makin good moves.

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, thank god for gutlessness and mediocrity. Yay.

B_Ambuehl
02-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Well first of all Scott Pioli didn't even have final say over personnel in new England. Bill Belichik, not Pioli was ultimately responsible for all NE personnel. There are about 25 GMs around the NFL that all had more power than Scott Pioli. Second of all, Scott Pioli for god damn sure isn't a coach so how anyone can se he developed someone is beyond me. Third, when Gretz et. al. write those articles showing the success rate of teams that drafted their own QB vs those that get them through free agency/trades etc. Matt Cassell in KC, despite whatever former relationship he had with someone in the personnel department for a prior team, automatically falls into the latter group not the former.

htismaqe
02-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Pretty sure we gave up a 4th for Grbac. Could be wrong though.

That would be the only Carl move that would be even remotely close to this. But then again Carl didn't scout and draft Grbac.

Cassel is 26. I doubt Jags fans ever bitched that they didn't draft Mark Brunnell. And despite his recent problems, I doubt Carolina fans cared during the Super Bowl that they didn't draft Jake Delhomme.

StcChief
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Yes, thank god for gutlessness and mediocrity. Yay.will see who drafts Stafford/Sanchez and
how these wonderboys fair in NFL.

The fact that maybe Detroit, St.Louis pass on them or trade down.

Sam Hall
02-28-2009, 03:19 PM
thank God those threads will no longer appear here.
Pioli is makin good moves.

For some reason I don't think they will disappear. Those people will think of another convoluted angle.

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 03:20 PM
will see who drafts Stafford/Sanchez and
how these wonderboys fair in NFL.

The fact that maybe Detroit, St.Louis pass on them or trade down.

I think these guys are letting the need for instant wins/short-term gain dictate their actions.

I know this; I'm am absolutely done guessing what these guys are going to do next.

ArrowheadHawk
02-28-2009, 03:22 PM
This team should be fine. A hell of a lot better than two wins.

Sam Hall
02-28-2009, 03:22 PM
There's no reason to not go full throttle after what Miami showed this past season.

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Ernie Adams runs the draft board in New England, but they didn't draft or sign anyone without a consensus between Belichick and Pioli. So, for the Pats to have drafted Cassel, even with a 7th rounder, Pioli must have liked him.

Count Alex's Losses
02-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure we gave up a 4th for Grbac. Could be wrong though.

That would be the only Carl move that would be even remotely close to this. But then again Carl didn't scout and draft Grbac.

Cassel is 26. I doubt Jags fans ever bitched that they didn't draft Mark Brunnell. And despite his recent problems, I doubt Carolina fans cared during the Super Bowl that they didn't draft Jake Delhomme.

Grbac was a free agent.

orange
02-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Pioli DID draft and develop his QB. And we just traded for him.

we just did draft a QB...the rest is semantics

Who drafted Cassel?

Are you guys going to start claiming the Chiefs have won three SuperBowls in the decade now?

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Todd Haley was probably sitting there thinking of Leinart vs Warner and told Pioli, "Yeah make the deal. Drafting the QB doesn't always work out so well."

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Todd Haley was probably sitting there thinking of Leinart vs Warner and told Pioli, "Yeah make the deal. Drafting the QB doesn't always work out so well."

That's ONE possibility, yes.