PDA

View Full Version : Royals Juan Cruz To Royals?

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/juan-cruz-to-ro.html

Juan Cruz To Royals?
By Alex Walsh [February 28, 2009 at 1:17pm CST]
Juan Cruz may be close to a deal with the Kansas City Royals, according to Buster Olney at ESPN.com.

The Royals' signing Cruz may entitle the Arizona Diamondbacks to two compensatory draft picks, since Cruz was a Type A free agent offered arbitration. However, a potential sign-and-trade deal with the Diamondbacks may affect those circumstances. Writes Olney:

It was not immediately clear on Saturday afternoon whether Cruz would just sign with the Royals, or if a sign-and-trade with

Delano
02-28-2009, 01:12 PM
I thought the Twins had the same sign-and-trade for Cruz last week but it either was just rumor or fell apart.

I would be pissed if the Royals got him.

eazyb81
02-28-2009, 01:13 PM
LOL, if we pass on other Type A players in order to give up our 2nd round pick for Juan f'n Cruz, Moore will drop a few points on my list.

Why the hell do we even need Juan Cruz?

Bowser
02-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Pass, thx.

schneider221
02-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Dayton has confirmed that they signed Cruz for 2 years.... German was designated to make room on the 40 man roster.

I like this move a lot because if the Royals are in last place again Cruz will be good trade bait for some more prospects. Not to mention with Bale being hurt and the bullpen looking like a weakness (minus soria).

jwazzie
02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Buster Onley confirms a 2 year deal with a option for the third.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3942163

Great day in KC!

BigRock
02-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Cruz went a combined 10-1 with a 2.88 ERA the past two seasons, holding opponents to a batting average/on-base/slugging line of .199/.318/.353 and striking out 158 in 112 2/3 innings.

People are complaining about this?

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 01:21 PM
"Arizona would get two 2009 compensatory draft picks -- a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds and the Royals' second-round pick at around No. 55 overall -- if the deal is completed."

Ouch.

Ultra Peanut
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Oh, Juan Cruz. You skinny, lovable bastard.

If only you'd panned out as a starter.

schneider221
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
"Arizona would get two 2009 compensatory draft picks -- a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds and the Royals' second-round pick at around No. 55 overall -- if the deal is completed."

Ouch.

Ya but if the Royals are in the cellar they can trade him and make up for this and probably get more in return.

eazyb81

We gave up our 2nd round pick for a relief pitcher.

Reaper16
I'm completely ignorant about Juan Cruz, but that sounds pretty decent.

Jewish Rabbi
02-28-2009, 01:38 PM

Ouch.

Not ouch... High draft picks in baseball are overrated. They rarely turn out (see - Billy Butler, Alex Gordon) to be superstars like you'd expect to see in football or basketball. Remember, Pujols was a 13th round pick.

tk13
02-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, there's a chance we'll get a pick back in the future if he leaves, or more important, something by trade the way DM flips relievers around. And the flipside is he's way better than any of the setup guys people were upset that we lost in the Jacobs and Crisp trades.

Plus this could get Farnsworth out of just being an 8th inning guy... I like him a lot better mixing it up in the 7th/8th instead of being THE setup guy. Having a pen with Farnsworth/Cruz/Soria at the end, well that has a chance to be pretty good. Or really good. And that doesn't include any of our other guys or younger arms that we could start in the pen.

Bowser
02-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Like the player; hate the price.

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Not ouch... High draft picks in baseball are overrated. They rarely turn out (see - Billy Butler, Alex Gordon) to be superstars like you'd expect to see in football or basketball. Remember, Pujols was a 13th round pick.

Yea because he was a fatass, I totally disagree high picks are overrated.

Ultra Peanut
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Like the player; hate the price.That's kind of the opposite of my opinion of Cassel. Ehhh on the player, love the price.

Bowser
02-28-2009, 01:43 PM
That's kind of the opposite of my opinion of Cassel. Ehhh on the player, love the price.

Heh, good point.

WTF IS GOING ON WITH MY TEAMS GETTING PLAYERS TO GET BETTER AND TRADING PICKS AND STUFF??!! Who am I if I'm not myopic KC sports fan?

Jewish Rabbi
02-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Then you obviously don't follow baseball too closely. Most top picks flop in the majors, if they even get there. You just don't know, period.

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Then you obviously don't follow baseball too closely. Most top picks flop in the majors, if they even get there. You just don't know, period.

LMAO I do know you dont trade shit for a middle reliever when the only thing you are contending for is 3rd place. Yea that whole Farm system thing is "highly overrated"

Stewie
02-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Juan Gone Part Deux? :)

jbwm89
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
i dont understand how we can pay him 5.5 for 2 years but we could not shell out 4 for O dog....this is a good deal but hudson could have made a huge difference for us

schneider221
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
i dont understand how we can pay him 5.5 for 2 years but we could not shell out 4 for O dog....this is a good deal but hudson could have made a huge difference for us

Dayton has said recently that they kept offering Hudson contracts and every time the Dodgers would come back with a bigger offer, and I am pretty sure we did offer Hudson more then 4

Sam Hall
02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
This is another reason why the Crisp-Ramirez deal made sense.

chiefqueen
02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
The price may have been too high, the Royals had to DFA German to get him on the roster.

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Got to love his AL numbers!!

KC_Connection
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Does Moore ever make good moves? Because everything I've seen him do these last few months has been terrible.

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
This is another reason why the Crisp-Ramirez deal made sense.

Love this deal.

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 02:21 PM

They're overrated only because the Royals so spectacularly continue to swing and miss on them...

alnorth
02-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Does Moore ever make good moves? Because everything I've seen him do these last few months has been terrible.

I like the move just fine. Baseball draft picks arent like other sports, beyond the elite talent in the high first round it quickly turns into a crapshoot.

The Royals honestly believe they have a small chance to win the division. Ordinarily we'd be looking at 3rd place, except the AL Central is going to be the crappiest, most wide-open division this year to the point where a mediocre team only has to be a little lucky. So, they are shoring up a weakness in middle relief. If the Royals are not contending by the trading deadline, or if he does well this year and we don't contend next year either, then they can deal Cruz again to get that draft pick back (in the form of legit proven prospects).

If they dont have a good season, then as long as Cruz doesnt suck, they could end up getting something better than the 2nd round pick by flipping him for prospects to a contender at the deadline.

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 02:24 PM

We'll see what happens this year. Moore seems to be taking the approach that he wants to build this team to start winning now with MLB ready players (IE the move for Jacobs instead of bringing Killa up) and let the players he drafts remain in the minors to develop instead of having to rush them up and deplete the system. But if the Royals finish in last this year, you can pretty much say he's screwed the pooch...

alnorth
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
But if the Royals finish in last this year, you can pretty much say he's screwed the pooch...

Even then, the only thing we'd be out is some money. DM is ripping a page right out of the A's playbook. The Royals think they can win this year, but if they suck this year, he flips Cruz for prospects who could be more valuable than a 2nd round pick. The biggest risk is if Cruz goes straight into the toilet this year and destroys his trade value.

KC_Connection
02-28-2009, 02:34 PM
I like the move just fine. Baseball draft picks arent like other sports, beyond the elite talent in the high first round it quickly turns into a crapshoot.

The Royals honestly believe they have a small chance to win the division. Ordinarily we'd be looking at 3rd place, except the AL Central is going to be the crappiest, most wide-open division this year to the point where a mediocre team only has to be a little lucky. So, they are shoring up a weakness in middle relief. If the Royals are not contending by the trading deadline, or if he does well this year and we don't contend next year either, then they can deal Cruz again to get that draft pick back (in the form of legit proven prospects).

If they dont have a good season, then as long as Cruz doesnt suck, they could end up getting something better than the 2nd round pick by flipping him for prospects to a contender at the deadline.

Giving up a 2nd round pick for a middle reliever doesn't make any sense, and that's the reason why Juan Cruz was even available on February 28th.

alnorth
02-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Giving up a 2nd round pick for a middle reliever doesn't make any sense, and that's the reason why Juan Cruz was even available on February 28th.

If he repeats his last year's performance and we suck, we trade him to a contender for prospects and possibly get a compensatory pick. Baseball's compensatory picks with all their type A type B etc rules are pretty weird compared to other sports.

In other sports, the pick is gone, part of the purchase price. In this case, the 2nd-round pick is not a purchase price, it is a wager. If Cruz does well and is desired by contending teams, we get our wager back plus prospects. If he craps out, we lose.

Sam Hall
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
It would be nice to get another starting pitcher because Horacio Ramirez scares me. Chuck James is a name that won't go away.

eazyb81
02-28-2009, 02:44 PM
It would be nice to get another starting pitcher because Horacio Ramirez scares me. Chuck James is a name that won't go away.

Signing HoRam was probably the worst move Moore has made. He's going to be out of the rotation by mid-May.

doomy3
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Do we know for sure what we gave up for Cruz? The original link made it seem like we made a trade, and it won't be the comp picks.

Sam Hall
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
We need someone to sign Mark Grudzielanek so we can get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds.

eazyb81
02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Do we know for sure what we gave up for Cruz? The original link made it seem like we made a trade, and it won't be the comp picks.

We signed him and gave up our 2nd round pick. Arizona also gets a comp pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds which is awarded by MLB, so we don't lose anything with that one.

alnorth
02-28-2009, 02:47 PM

2nd round pick. Arizona will also get a sandwich pick for losing a Type-A player, but that wont come from us.

alnorth
02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
We need someone to sign Mark Grudzielanek so we can get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds.

Yep, there's still hope that someone will grab Grud, which would net us a sandwich pick from mlb.

Delano
02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Well, that sucks.

I was hoping for a 2010 Twins bullpen that included Cruz, Crain, Neshek, and Nathan.

Priest31kc
02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Great signing IMO.

Mahay, Farnsworth, Cruz, SORIA.

Lovin the bullpen now. And if Davies pitches like he did in September and Hochevar improves, our pitching is lookin REAL good.

Wilson8
02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Cruz signed a two-year contract with an option for 2011. The deal was believed to be worth $2.25 million for this year, $3.25 million for 2010 and a club option for $4 million for 2011 with a $500,000 buyout.

To make room for Cruz on the 40-man roster, the Royals designated infielder Esteban German for assignment.

Reasonable contract for a good RP and Esteban German no longer on the team. I like.

googlegoogle
02-28-2009, 03:25 PM

:cuss:

are you challenging Moore? I love you guys who complained about every trade he's made or every player he's picked up.

I see the light. You are not a believer.

alnorth
02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Here's another thought going into the season. Since the Twins have lost Pat Neshek, the Royals clearly have the best bullpen in the division on paper, perhaps even the best in the American League. You really have to think a bit to definitively name teams who clearly have a better bullpen.

bkkcoh
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Great signing IMO.

Mahay, Farnsworth, Cruz, SORIA.

Lovin the bullpen now. And if Davies pitches like he did in September and Hochevar improves, our pitching is lookin REAL good.

If our starters can produce quality starts consistently, the Royals games just got to be 6 innings long.

thurman merman
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Why the hell do we even need Juan Cruz?

because they traded nunez and ramirez.

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 07:09 PM

"Cruz will receive $2.25 million for 2009, $3.25 million for 2010, and a $4 million team option for 2011 in the deal, with a $500,000 buyout.

The right-handed Cruz could represent a major upgrade for the Royals' bullpen amid high hopes within the organization that Kansas City will take a long stride forward this year. The Royals traded middle relievers Leo Nunez and Ramon Ramirez after last season.

With the deal complete, the Diamondbacks get two 2009 compensatory draft picks -- a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds and the Royals' second-round pick at around No. 55 overall.

Cruz doesn't get much money (in baseball terms, anyway) and effectively guarantees he won't get a shot at much more until at least 2012. The Diamondbacks don't get the first-round pick they would have gotten if a better team had signed Cruz, although at least they get two picks, a sandwich-rounder and the Royals' second-rounder. (The first-round pick was the reason Cruz stayed on the market so long.) And the Royals... at least they get a very good setup man, but what the Royals think they're doing giving up their second-round pick, I have no idea. I'd be apoplectic if the Pirates pulled a stunt like this. The Royals at least have the excuse of being in a wide-open division, but I strongly doubt they have any chance of winning it, which makes their decision to sign Cruz pretty strange. It's possible they trade him eventually, but I wouldn't bet they'll get more value back than the second-round pick would have had."

I guess he doesn’t follow baseball that much either.

DeezNutz
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
We shed German, a decent utility man, to make room on the 40-man roster, yet Pena is still there?

Ok. That makes a lot of sense.

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 07:18 PM
We shed German, a decent utility man, to make room on the 40-man roster, yet Pena is still there?

German was about to make some $$$$ I think 1.25 mil or so, thats a big part of why he was cut.

DeezNutz
02-28-2009, 07:20 PM
German was about to make some $$$$ I think 1.25 mil or so, thats a big part of why he was cut.

I know what you mean, and there's probably truth to this.

But it's sad when a team would even have to worry about a 1.25 mil. salary. That's peanuts.

Plus, I'm mad that Pena gets to consume free gum, seeds, and Gatorade, let alone draw a salary. Dude is a wasted roster spot.

tk13
02-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I think they think of Callaspo as a better version of German. The dude who's saying we can't get more value in a trade than a 2nd round pick is crazy. You're really getting into crapshoot territory with 2nd rounders, and relievers like Cruz are killer currency in the trade market.

DeezNutz
02-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I think they think of Callaspo as a better version of German. The dude who's saying we can't get more value in a trade than a 2nd round pick is crazy. You're really getting into crapshoot territory with 2nd rounders, and relievers like Cruz are killer currency in the trade market.

I like Callaspo as an on-field talent, but it's difficult to make any roster decisions with that guy in mind b/c he's such a mess off the field.

Not a big deal with the late to camp thing this year, but still not what you want to see.

Ideally, he needs to start at 2B. And I like German more than Bloomquist as a utility guy.

KevB
02-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Correct. I'm excited by this move. R's get better this year, may be able to make a run in this division. If it doesn't pan out, they have some players with value at the deadline. Beyond that, Glass continues to prove he's willing to pay $$ to make the team better.

Jayhawkerman2001
02-28-2009, 09:19 PM
We gave up our 2nd round pick for a relief pitcher.

mlb draft is nothing like the nfl draft. most guys drafted don't make it to the bigs, so a 2nd for him aint all that bad, especially when we need bullpen arms

MVChiefFan
02-28-2009, 09:34 PM
German sucks! I couldn't care less if he's gone. This is a great pick up in my opinion. This may be homeristic thinking but I think we might have something with this team.

alnorth
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Rotoworld:

Royals signed RHP Juan Cruz, who had been with the Diamondbacks, to a two-year, $6 million contract with a club option for 2011.

Cruz is a nice value at this price and the Royals only have to give up a second-round pick for him, so it's a good move, one of the first the team has made this winter. According to the Kansas City Star, he will make $2.25 million this season, $3.25 million in 2010 and $4 million in 2011 if his option is picked up. Otherwise, he'd get a $500,000 buyout. With Cruz joining the team in a setup role, Joel Peralta, Jamey Wright and Robinson Tejeda figure to have much more difficult times finding spots. Feb. 28 - 3:57 pm

CHENZ A!
02-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Peralta can still get guys out, I bet we keep him.

Jayhawkerman2001
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM

also, on the field german sucks at any position they put him at. kinda sucks when you need a defensive replacement and he's the only guy on the bench... and his BA isnt much better than TPJ, so moore did what he's been known to do go with the slight defensive edge. that and the slight money factor

Sure-Oz
03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Cruz was pretty dominant, may be a good move for a setup guy...we'll see

Hate losing the draft picks but this helps our team right now anyway