PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Cassel highlight reel...

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Just thought it needed it's own thread if it hasn't been posted already. Feel free to post other videos as well...

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ctvPzDMfp0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ctvPzDMfp0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Molitoth
02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I like his mobility and pocket awareness.

Molitoth
02-28-2009, 01:24 PM
That punt was sick as well.

Frosty
Punter of the future.

wild1
looks like good accuracy and good arm strength.

Jerm
02-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah boy, he sure does have a weak arm.

What a joke...hilarious that people were bringing that up as a possible negative.

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Man, why do people who make this videos always put in ridiculously bad soundtracks?

wild1
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Man, why do people who make this videos always put in ridiculously bad soundtracks?

at least it isn't "misirlou", like every other highlight reel on youtube

Gravedigger
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Notice in those highlights that he hung up 34 - 0 on the denver broncos, thats a QB I can support.

Pablo
02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah..his arm looked terribly weak and he sure couldn't throw a deep ball at all.

Coogs
02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Nice video! :thumb:

I'm pumped up about this season for the first time. I think we actually have a chance to win the West if we can add a few more pieces over the next few days and in the draft.

MIAdragon
02-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Damn Moss is good.

Pablo
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Damn Moss is good.Yeah..he's pretty nice...but we have Bowe..he's almost Randy.

doomy3
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Definitely didn't see any arm strength issues on that video. Also, GREAT footwork, composure, form. I love it.

R&GHomer
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
That punt was awesome! I don't see how people are ragging on his arm strength.

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Notice in those highlights that he hung up 34 - 0 on the denver broncos, thats a QB I can support.

Yup, Cassel pretty much abused Denver on MNF- didn't hurt that that was the game where Champ Bailey tore his groin, so I think they were caught a little off guard on that one.

Pablo
02-28-2009, 01:43 PM
That punt was awesome! I don't see how people are ragging on his arm strength.I dunno..I think people see prospects like Stafford and guys like Cutler that have rockets and by default guys like Cassel and Sanchez have "weak arms".

chiefzilla1501
02-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah, hopefully this puts the "weak arm" theory to rest.

He might not throw a great deep ball, but I still don't understand why people are so enamored with being able to gun it deep. Tom Brady actually threw a really lousy deep ball his first season. What impressed me most here is that he does a terrific job of throwing the ball when his feet aren't set. he throws very hard when he rolls right and threw a lot of tough passes without his back feet set. Arguably, on throws where he tries to get a lot of juice, he seems to have a bit of a wind-up, but yeah... there is obviously no concern about his ability to throw with any velocity.

I am ecstatic about this move right now.

bdeg
02-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I like what I see

warrior
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
I like what I see

Looks pretty good not my 1st choice but now he's the Chiefs Qb I support him 100%.

CupidStunt
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Much better arm than some of the tools around here suggest.

Gravedigger
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
He throws a far better deep ball than Thigpen.

Fritz88
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Damn Moss is good.

Could that be the reason Matt was special last year?

PRIEST
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Much better arm than some of the tools around here suggest.

Exactly

Tuckdaddy
02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
No doubt he looks good. Great pocket movement to find the open man. Good arm strength to get it there as well.

This was a great move by Scott.

RippedmyFlesh
02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
The game that really sold me on cassel was the oakland game.
Goes into oakland and throws 4 td passes and plays on oaklands field like its his mom's backyard.
A good trait to have as a KC qb.

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Could that be the reason Matt was special last year?

He actually seemed more keen on going to Welker last year.

Randy Moss can either be a QB booster or a QB killer. While it no doubt helps having his abilities on your team, it also says a lot that Cassel was able to keep him interested and get him the ball when he needed, cause Moss can quit on you real fast if he doesn't believe in the QB...

B_Ambuehl
02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
He threw to a 2nd option exactly twice that entire video. Playing out of the spread with that offensive line and those receivers creating space and running with the football after the catch makes him look decent, but I don't think I've seen someone consistently stare down an initial read so hard. He's not gonna be able to get away with that to the same degree on this ball club.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
He's going to be a major upgrade over Tyler Thigpen.

KCtotheSB
02-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Dustin Colquitt has competition. I had thought we might had been set at punter, but I guess not...hmmm.... I don't exactly know if we should have given up a 2nd rounder for a new punter, but hey.....what do I know?

kcchiefsus
02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
My only concern is that just like Thigpen he operated mostly out of the shotgun based on that video. Of course, he did a hell of alot better out of the shotgun. Just hope he can become more comfortable operating under center. Unlike Thigpen, I actually have faith that Cassel can improve in that area.

-King-
02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
His pocket presence is crazy and nice mobility. He was accurate and had a good deep ball.

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 03:08 PM
My only concern is that just like Thigpen he operated mostly out of the shotgun based on that video. Of course, he did a hell of alot better out of the shotgun. Just hope he can become more comfortable operating under center. Unlike Thigpen, I actually have faith that Cassel can improve in that area.

He did operate mostly out of the shotgun, but so did Brady in 2007. McDaniels just loves the shotgun spread, so I wouldn't read too much into it in terms of Cassel's ability to operate from under center (although clearly he has relatively little experience with it). Personally, I don't see any reason why he can't develop that skill if he doesn't have it already. He's intelligent, has a great work ethic, mobility, and very good pocket presence. Besides, based on what Haley built over in Arizona, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you guys used the #3 on Crabtree, signed Housh, and came out next year in a shotgun spread-based offense featuring Crabtree, Housh, Bowe, and Gonzalez. You'd have LBs trying to cover Gonzalez and nickel corners trying to cover Bowe... the offense is very close to being good.

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 03:14 PM

That would seem to be Haley's preference and fits with what Gailey ran last year. It certainly makes it clear that LJ is expendable...

ChiefGator
02-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I prefer the Tyler Thigpen highlight reel myself... :p

A couple observations:
1. Looks very accurate and good to me, love his scrappiness. It does seem like he and Tyler have a similar game, he's just better at it. Which is good, because our entire offense doesn't have to change if he goes down and Tyler comes in.

2. I wish we were getting Moss and Welker. Crazy good.

3. The Patriots o-line doesn't seem very good. In fact, they look like bottom 30% in the league handling outside rushes. This gives me hope for him behind our line. I think Brady's extremely quick read and release has made that O-line look better than it really is.

The_Doctor10
02-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Why? Because Cassel went to USC?

aturnis
02-28-2009, 04:03 PM
He can sing too!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrROLWbtTzY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrROLWbtTzY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The_Doctor10
02-28-2009, 04:05 PM

I didn't like that particular song, though the lyrics did fit Cassel's situation quite well...

But if you hate on Queen again, I will... well I won't do anything substantial, because it's a message board. But I'll neg-rep the shit outta you. So yeah... take that....

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 04:05 PM
3. The Patriots o-line doesn't seem very good. In fact, they look like bottom 30% in the league handling outside rushes. This gives me hope for him behind our line. I think Brady's extremely quick read and release has made that O-line look better than it really is.

That's true- the Pats' O-Line is hugely overrated. Matt Light gets manhandled by the elite pass-rushers at LT, Neal is perpetually hurt at RG, Kaczur is alright at RT, Mankins is usually very good at LG (but disappears at times), and Koppen is good, at C, but gets absolutely dominated by 3-4 NTs. If you want to see the true talent of the Pats' OL, just look at the 2007 SB. Brady was injured, so he lost a lot of his pocket mobility, and the result was that the OL just got abused.

It was also on display when Cassel came in at the start of last year. Once Neal returned from injury, the line solidified a bit, but for those first games Cassel wasn't just starting for the first time since high school; he was starting for the first time since high school against a below-average offensive line.

Pioli Zombie
02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that like Brady, Cassel doesn't make a lot of stupid mistakes. He's an excellent manager of the game. By the end of the season he was playing like Brady about 5 years ago. Look at tapes of the game at Oakland or Miami, the home game vs the Jets or Arizona. He was terrific.
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
02-28-2009, 04:51 PM
That's absolutely the worst song I've ever heard used in a highlight video. WTF was that shit?

beavis
02-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised by his mobility on a couple of those plays.

Of course, he's no Thigpen.

mikey23545
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
He threw to a 2nd option exactly twice that entire video. Playing out of the spread with that offensive line and those receivers creating space and running with the football after the catch makes him look decent, but I don't think I've seen someone consistently stare down an initial read so hard. He's not gonna be able to get away with that to the same degree on this ball club.

Retarded.

You never saw him force a ball into a first receiver who was covered. He threw to the first guy whenever he was open.

You don't look to the second option when the first one is open.

Bwana
02-28-2009, 05:48 PM
The guy has a rocket for an arm and great speed for a big QB.

chiefsfan4life1978
02-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I know I'll probably take some heat for saying this but, if I couldn't see the number on the jersey, I'd have told you that was Tom Brady in that highlight video. Very impressive! I had really only seen him against us in week one.

KCrockaholic
02-28-2009, 06:22 PM
This guy is a ball player! He throws the deep ball as well as anybody, and I will say something Ive already said before we signed Cassel....That throw to Randy Moss Vs the Jets was the greatest throw ive EVER seen in my life. Welcome home Mr. Cassel

KCrockaholic
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I know I'll probably take some heat for saying this but, if I couldn't see the number on the jersey, I'd have told you that was Tom Brady in that highlight video. Very impressive! I had really only seen him against us in week one.

hes impressive, he seems to be nearly as accurate as Brady, with more mobility. Thigpen with a stronger arm? and taller of course.

DaWolf
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
One thing that came to mind watching it is that considering the winter weather in KC, there's at least film on this guy playing in bad weather, and we know he has done it. I still cringe at the thought of Steve Bono in January...

Halfcan
02-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I like his mobility and pocket awareness.

yep :clap:

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Retarded.

You never saw him force a ball into a first receiver who was covered. He threw to the first guy whenever he was open.

You don't look to the second option when the first one is open.

Yeah that dude has some "strange" football takes.

Extra Point
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Cassel reads defenses quicker than Thigpen. Don't agree that NE's line wasn't that good. Look at the aggressive blocking schemes on the pass. That's another difference. Upgrade without rolling the dice on drafting a QB in the first.

Great move.

The_Doctor10
04-18-2010, 05:19 PM
The guy has a rocket for an arm and great speed for a big QB.

I thought this should be bumped for funsies.

OnTheWarpath58
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM

LMAO

Oh, Flop. I'm sorry.

Hog Farmer
04-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, the highlight reel has been removed and the giant L is now firmly imprinted on Cassels forehead.

DeezNutz
04-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah, those questions about his arm strength were bullshit. /the crossbar

Reerun_KC
04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
pretty funny thread.

KCrockaholic
04-18-2010, 05:45 PM
This thread is pretty funny, but like I've said all along, I'm not quitting on him yet. He gets this year, and if he sucks again then toss him out. If not, I will have to laugh at all the people who trashed talked him for so long.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-18-2010, 05:51 PM

LMAO

Oh, Flop. I'm sorry.

Wow. I don't even remember posting that. I've been anti Matt Cassel from the very beginning. I must've had my optimistic hat on that day. I'm not sure I believed anyone out there wouldn't be an upgrade over Tyler.

DeezNutz
04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Wow. I don't even remember posting that. I've been anti Matt Cassel from the very beginning. I must've had my optimistic hat on that day. I'm not sure I believed anyone out there wouldn't be an upgrade over Tyler.

It's cool, man.

You probably hadn't read one of my posts, yet, so you weren't sure what you needed to say.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
It's cool, man.

You probably hadn't read one of my posts, yet, so you weren't sure what you needed to say.

Busted. I would look infinitely more stupid around here if it wasn't for the drafturbators.

DeezNutz
04-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Busted. I would look infinitely more stupid around here if it wasn't for the drafturbators.

Who? ;)