PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Free Agency NOW:

Micjones
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Now that FA is well underway and we've acquired a few pieces...
Here's what I might consider adding if I were Pioli:

(WR) Nate Washington
(RT) Ray Willis
(DE) Chris Canty
(OLB) Marques Harris

...thoughts?

doomy3
02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I would like to have Washington and Canty.

Don't really know anything about those other two.

Micjones
02-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Willis was a 10-game starter last year who filled in VERY WELL in Seattle.
26-year old guy...solid pass protector.

Harris was a reserve in SD. Played well in limited time. 3-4 guy.
He can get after the QB. 27 years old.

Der Flöprer
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I'd like Barnes for RT. I'd like to sign Housh too.

Micjones
02-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd like Barnes for RT. I'd like to sign Housh too.

Barnes REALLY struggled last year. Willis is less experienced, but is much better in pass protection. Housh is one hell of a WR, but I think I'd like to have a younger guy there who won't command as much jack.

Der Flöprer
02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Barnes REALLY struggled last year. Willis is less experienced, but is much better in pass protection. Housh is one hell of a WR, but I think I'd like to have a younger guy there who won't command as much jack.

I watched him when he played at UW. I'm a fan of his I admit. But I think he could slide over to the right side and dominate.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Chris Canty wants a shit ton of money.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
igor olshansky FTW

Count Alex's Losses
02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Washington is a really underrated player. Seems like every time I watch a Steelers game he makes a big play.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Washington is a really underrated player. Seems like every time I watch a Steelers game he makes a big play.

He's still basically a slot guy....

If this team is really going 3-4 they should probably look into signing one of the ends even if it means overpaying.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
He's still basically a slot guy....

If this team is really going 3-4 they should probably look into signing one of the ends even if it means overpaying.

or olshansky AND canty

Micjones
03-01-2009, 01:04 AM
igor olshansky FTW

I'd take Olshansky...

Sam Hall
03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Devery Henderson

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Kevin Burnett is an under the radar guy they should probably look at.

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Chris Canty wants a shit ton of money.Who doesn't?

Ultra Peanut
03-01-2009, 02:57 AM
Nate Washington is a fucking terrible player to pick up in FA.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Here's what you HAVE to get in either FA or the draft:

C
RG
RT
DE
3-4 Nose

I'd take Igor or Canty at DE.

Hopefully we can swing something for Shaun Rodgers to cover the 3-4 Nose.

Having said that, I think we need to throw as much cash / picks as possible at the OL. My hope at this point would that we'd address OL via FA, but whatever.

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Probably just repeating what others are saying...

Some positions of need for KC -

If we are going to a 3 -4, then DEs Igor Olshansky, San Diego and Chris Canty, Dallas make sense. Olshansky will probably come a little cheaper than Canty.

Two WRs that have some ability to get deep would be Devery Henderson, New Orleans and Nate Washington, Pittsburgh. Henderson has a slightly better percentage on catches per balls thrown to him, than Washington.

There was a pretty good group of free agent linebackers available but they are beginning to get picked over. There is still Kevin Burnett, Dallas, and Mike Peterson from Jacksonville left. I had high hopes for Burnett out of Tennessee, but he looks like a good backup right now. Peterson is getting towards the end of his career.

Right Tackle - Khalif Barnes from Jacksonville and Ray Willis from Seattle are still out there.

Safety - James Sanders New England and Jermaine Phillips Tampa Bay. Phillips is a high character guy and he could provide some leadership to a young group of DBs. Sanders is a New England player drafted in the 4th round and has had 38 games in which he started.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Probably just repeating what others are saying...

Some positions of need for KC -

If we are going to a 3 -4, then DEs Igor Olshansky, San Diego and Chris Canty, Dallas make sense. Olshansky will probably come a little cheaper than Canty.

Two WRs that have some ability to get deep would be Devery Henderson, New Orleans and Nate Washington, Pittsburgh. Henderson has a slightly better percentage on catches per balls thrown to him, than Washington.

There was a pretty good group of free agent linebackers available but they are beginning to get picked over. There is still Kevin Burnett, Dallas, and Mike Peterson from Jacksonville left. I had high hopes for Burnett out of Tennessee, but he looks like a good backup right now. Peterson is getting towards the end of his career.

Right Tackle - Khalif Barnes from Jacksonville and Ray Willis from Seattle are still out there.

Safety - James Sanders New England and Jermaine Phillips Tampa Bay. Phillips is a high character guy and he could provide some leadership to a young group of DBs. Sanders is a New England player drafted in the 4th round and has had 38 games in which he started.

I don't know enough about either Barnes or Willis to have an opinion. If other folks on here think they're solid, I'll take their word for it.

Unless someone else get released (which I don't see) or we trade for a RT(which I don't see), you're looking at having to address the RT position via the draft....

Micjones
03-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Ray Willis would be a great pickup for this team at RT.
If we could snag him, either Henderson or Washington, one of the 3-4 DE's, and a LB we'd be in great shape going into the draft.

Short Leash Hootie
03-01-2009, 06:10 AM
I want Canty...dude is a good player who never misses a game...how can you argue with that? Instant upgrade...

Nate Washington is also a good player...but I'm not so sure he's that much better than Mark Bradley...but Bradley can't stay healthy so...

patteeu
03-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Devery Henderson

At least we can hope that D.Bowe's hands of stone are a phase that he'll grow out of. Henderson's seem to be a permanent attribute. If he could catch, he'd be perfect though.

patteeu
03-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Nate Washington is a ****ing terrible player to pick up in FA.

Why?

Mecca
03-01-2009, 07:53 AM
I remember when Khalif Barnes was in the draft his big thing was that he had played every position on the line during his college career.

Ultra Peanut
03-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Why?He's an incredibly replaceable player who's going to be paid way more than he's worth. He's a marginal upgrade over someone like Mark Bradley, but the difference in pay isn't going to be marginal.

And if you want to talk about hands of stone, Washington is your guy.

mylittlepony
03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd be very surprised if any big name player comes in. I think priority #1 is establishing the "no player is bigger then the team". I think that the Brian Waters story proves that, bringing in a big name would be detrimental to the philosophy.

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Willis and Burnett :)
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5524676&postcount=133

Micjones
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Willis and Burnett :)
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5524676&postcount=133

Yes to Willis!

I read somewhere that Burnett's close to signing with Miami.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Chris Canty is gone - signed by the Giants to a big contract.

Hopefully we are already in contact with Olshansky, he's the one I really want.

A front three of Olshansky, Raji, and Tyler/Dorsey/McBride would be nice.

JASONSAUTO
03-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Chris Canty is gone - signed by the Giants to a big contract.

Hopefully we are already in contact with Olshansky, he's the one I really want.

A front three of Olshansky, Raji, and Tyler/Dorsey/McBride would be nice.

DAMN THE GIANTS GOT BOLEY, the sprinkler DT rocky bernard, AND canty??? fuck

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
DE Chris Canty, Dallas signs with New York Giants

New York Giants also added Rocky Bernard to their defensive line.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_giants_agree_to_terms.html

JASONSAUTO
03-01-2009, 04:40 PM
DE Igor Olshansky, San Diego to Houston
DE Chris Canty, Dallas signs with New York Giants

Seems both teams collect defensive linemen. Houston already had Mario Williams and then added Antonio Smith.

New York Giants also added Rocky Bernard to their defensive line.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_giants_agree_to_terms.html

all i can find is that houston signed dan orlovsky the qb

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 04:44 PM
You are correct. I saw a head line and missed. Corrected my post

JASONSAUTO
03-01-2009, 04:46 PM
You are correct. I saw a head line and missed. Corrected my post

ok i was worried:)

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/01/giants-continue-to-bolster-defense-sign-cb-canty/

The New York Giants continue making bold moves to shore up their defense.

One day after signing DT Rocky Bernard and LB Michael Boley, the Giants signed free-agent DE Chris Canty to a six-year, $42 million contract that includes $17.25 million in guaranteed money. Now Dallas’ loss is New York’s gain.

Dallas could not afford to keep Canty, and the Green Bay Packers were trying to arrange for him to visit the team. But Sunday afternoon, Canty took the Giants’ offer.

The Giants have gotten defensive. Again.

Micjones
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/01/giants-continue-to-bolster-defense-sign-cb-canty/

The New York Giants continue making bold moves to shore up their defense.

One day after signing DT Rocky Bernard and LB Michael Boley, the Giants signed free-agent DE Chris Canty to a six-year, $42 million contract that includes $17.25 million in guaranteed money. Now Dallas’ loss is New York’s gain.

Dallas could not afford to keep Canty, and the Green Bay Packers were trying to arrange for him to visit the team. But Sunday afternoon, Canty took the Giants’ offer.

The Giants have gotten defensive. Again.

That defense is gonna be sick.

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Seems expensive, but I guess that was probably the market value for a DE like Chris Canty. I wonder what Igor will cost?

Micjones
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Seems expensive, but I guess that was probably the market value for a DE like Chris Canty. I wonder what Igor will cost?

Should be less expensive than Canty and be right in our wheelhouse.

Mr. Krab
03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
We have 2 linebackers and need 2 more to run a 3-4. I don't think Vrabel is a 100% player anymore either. Even if we take Curry will still need to sign another physical legit 3-4 linebacker.

CaliforniaChief
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Should be less expensive than Canty and be right in our wheelhouse.

Not to mention the added benefit of bringing in a young guy who might have an axe to grind against an AFC West team. I'd like to see Olshansky get a look. Not saying I'm sold on him yet.

Micjones
03-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Not to mention the added benefit of bringing in a young guy who might have an axe to grind against an AFC West team. I'd like to see Olshansky get a look. Not saying I'm sold on him yet.

Yep. Knows the system. Played with a division rival.
I'll take him.

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
We have 2 linebackers and need 2 more to run a 3-4. I don't think Vrabel is a 100% player anymore either. Even if we take Curry will still need to sign another physical legit 3-4 linebacker.

This list of free agent LBs was from a few days ago.

1, Ray Lewis (Ravens); 2, Bart Scott (Ravens); 3, Channing Crowder (Dolphins); 4, Jonathan Vilma (Saints); 5, Michael Boley (Falcons); 6, Mike Peterson (Jaguars); 7, Keith Brooking (Falcons); 8, Marcus Washington (Redskins); 9, Angelo Crowell (Bills); 10, Kevin Burnett (Cowboys); 11, Zach Thomas (Cowboys); 12, Eric Barton
As you can see, the best ones are signing with other teams. Marcus Washington was very good at one time but injuries have decreases his value at LB. Angelo Crowell is a question mark because of knee injury. Mike Peterson might have another 2 good years left. Kevin Burnett is a possibility but so far he has been a backup.