PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Trade for Cassel, like Pioli and Haley, looks good on paper

KCChiefsFan88
02-28-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/1060759.html

Trade for Cassel, like Pioli and Haley, looks good on paper

Pardon my caution. I’ve been disappointed often enough to temper my optimistic enthusiasm and wait for the results.

It’s been quite a week for the Twin Bills, Kansas City’s Belichick and Parcells knockoffs, Scott Pioli and Todd Haley.

They disrespected and alienated a potential loyal soldier, Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, and began the process of relocating New England’s spare parts to Arrowhead Stadium, trading for quarterback Matt Cassel and outside linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Pioli and Haley are doing exactly what they promised. They’re shaking the foundation of the Chiefs organization and transforming the culture of the locker room.

Congrats!

We’ve seen this before. Fresh off a Super Bowl victory in 1999, Dick Vermeil used a high draft pick to acquire the QB he loved in St. Louis (Trent Green), spoke confidently about procuring players who “fit the profile,” blasted Larry Johnson for wearing a diaper and wooed the local media with dinner, wine and a spirit of love.

You see the similarities?

Emboldened by his success with the Rams, Vermeil parachuted into Kansas City convinced he knew football secrets that only a select few had ever learned.

Eventually, as the game is prone to do, football humbled the Hall-of-Fame-worthy coach. After five years, one playoff appearance, zero playoff victories and a boatload of shiny offensive stats, Vermeil re-re-retired.

Success precedes and justifies arrogance. Success is flighty, unfaithful and reluctant to move. Arrogance will follow you wherever you go.

What we’re witnessing right now is an explosion of Patriots Way arrogance. Scott Belichick believes he knows football secrets that he’s only willing to share with Todd Parcells and the select few they’re going to allow into their circle (Cassel and Vrabel).

It’s my understanding that Waters, a nine-year veteran, visited Arrowhead Stadium last week with the intention of volunteering to join Pioli and Haley’s army. Waters is a loyal soldier. He soldiered for Gunther Cunningham, Vermeil and Herm Edwards without complaint or betrayal.

Waters, who asked to be released on Thursday after a brief, negative encounter with Haley and being dissed by Pioli, isn’t delicate or in need of pampering. He’s a man. He simply wanted the respect that his years of honorable service warranted.

“Hey, I appreciate you coming to town. Unfortunately, it’s not a good time right now. We’re in the middle of finalizing our game plan for free agency, the draft and the offseason program. When we have our plan together, we look forward to sharing it with you and the entire roster. Just be patient, Brian. We’re going to win games and believe you can help us do that.”

Maybe those words were spoken in addition to what we’ve heard from a reliable source. So far, we’ve only heard Waters’ side of the story. Pioli and Haley have declined to comment. The Patriots Way is to not discuss the inner workings of the team. The Patriots Way values secrecy (and illegal filming).

Let me make this clear: I’m rooting for Pioli and Haley.

I supported the idea of hiring Pioli because I got to know him when he worked in New England. We talked football philosophy regularly throughout 2008 when he was an employee of the Patriots. I supported the idea of hiring Haley because I’m a huge Bill Parcells fan, I like anyone willing to stand up to Terrell Owens, and I figured that Pioli would appoint someone he knew.

If you’ve read my columns for any length of time, you recognize what I enjoy most are the few times a decade when I’m right about something.

I want to be right about Pioli and Haley.

But I’m also willing to be the first one to point out that I was wrong about Pioli and Haley. I don’t mind being right about being wrong.

Their arrogance is disconcerting. Smells like King Carl on steroids.

The acquisition of Cassel could be a Pioli ego trip. You get lucky, find Tom Brady in the seventh round, and it becomes easy to convince yourself you’ve done it again with Cassel.

There’s no objective reason to believe that Belichick didn’t get the better end of the Cassel-Vrabel trade. Belichick doesn’t do favors, even for his former co-workers/employees. Yeah, a second-round pick sounds like a steal for a 26-year-old QB who threw 21 TDs and for 3,600 yards and won 11 games in his first year as a starter.

I want to see Cassel do it without Randy Moss, who has a habit of elevating the play of every QB on his roster. Randall Cunningham and Jeff George had career years throwing to Moss. Brady shattered a plethora of league records lobbing rainbows to Moss.

A year after Moss broke Jerry Rice’s single-season TD receiving record, Cassel struggled to connect with the Human TD Machine. Moss’ touchdown production dropped more than 50 percent in 2008. But, to his credit, Cassel managed to take advantage of the simplified coverage schemes that Moss’ presence dictates. There’s only one direction to roll coverage when Moss is on the field. Cassel dusted off his rust and completed 63 percent of his passes.

I need more proof before I celebrate his arrival. He sat on the bench at USC behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, two Heisman Trophy winners. Palmer is a good player. Leinart couldn’t capitalize on being blessed with Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

I’ll wait to label Cassel a “steal” until I see the contract he signs and how he performs away from the New England line, Moss, Wes Welker and a stingy defense.

I’ll take the same approach with Vrabel, whose jersey number 50 is rather appropriate since his locker-room nickname is likely to be “5-Oh.” In New England, Vrabel was one of Belichick’s locker-room leaders and an assignment-sound defender. In KC, he’ll be seen as police, a snitch, a Pioli spy.

In 2007, when the Patriots ran the regular-season table and built enormous leads with a quick-strike offense, Vrabel exploited his numerous pass-rush opportunities and recorded a career-high 12 1/2 sacks. Last season he returned to normal, tallying four sacks, two of which came in the season opener against the Chiefs.

He’ll be 34 this season. Does he have more in his tank than Donnie Edwards had when Carl Peterson brought Donnie back from San Diego?

I told you. We’ve seen this all before. And that’s not to say it won’t work.

I’d just like to see a little less arrogance. We embrace Belichick’s and Parcells’ conceit because theirs is backed by multiple Super Bowl titles and appearances.

Pioli and Haley look good on paper, just like their decision to trade for Cassel and Vrabel.

JASONSAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
how good did moss make kerry collins and aaron damn what was his last name (brooks maybe) former saint. look? well good enough i cant remember him

The_Doctor10
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Wow, Whitlock sounds like such a bitch here...

Gravedigger
02-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Trent Green and DV weren't the worst things about those teams it was our poor ass defense that hasn't been good since the early 90s.

kcpasco
02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Trent Green and DV weren't the worst things about those teams it was our poor ass defense that hasn't been good since the early 90s.

Yeah I didn't understand his diss on Green either

Count Alex's Losses
02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Brady was a sixth-round pick, not a 7th.

FAIL, jwhit. FAIL!

DeezNutz
02-28-2009, 11:06 PM

Why? Because he's cautiously optimistic and wary of going tits deep into the Kool-Aid?

KC kid
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Whitlock is having an affair with Brian Waters. . .

DeezNutz
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM

And he didn't say they were. He said that all the bullshit amounted to nothing. Zip. Meaningless ****ing stats.

And he's right.

(But trading #12 and the second rounder was dumb as ****.)

blueballs
DREW BLEDSOE
IS GAY

KCChiefsFan88
Whitlock is having an affair with Brian Waters. . .

I think they are both having an affair with cholesterol

Count Alex's Losses
02-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I can't say I disagree with Whitlock.

But a couple of assholes is really just what we need.

I didn't want Pioli or Haley to tiptoe around Arrowhead like they owed anybody anything.

If they fail, fail big. Lay it all on the line.

Count Alex's Losses
I think they are both having an affair with cholesterol

Has anyone seen Brian Waters and Jason Whitlock in the same room at the same time?

blueballs

and Larry Johnson was on the team
when DV came to town

Deberg_1990
02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
I get the feeling JWhit and Waters are chummy and hes feeling a little butt hurt over his homey getting smacked down.

The Bad Guy
02-28-2009, 11:11 PM
It's hilarious that Whitlock has turned on both of them.

Why? Because they aren't giving him the access he needs.

He loves Brian Waters because Waters will run to him with everything.

Pioli has the right to be ignorant. He has 3 SB rings as a player evaluator.

How many does Brian Waters have?

Simply Red
Rebuilding, get over it.

JASONSAUTO
I get the feeling JWhit and Waters are chummy and hes feeling a little butt hurt over his homey getting smacked down.

THIS

Halfcan
02-28-2009, 11:12 PM

my thoughts exactly-we landed a Franchise QB-shut up fatlock! :cuss:

Messier
02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Why? Because he's cautiously optimistic and wary of going tits deep into the Kool-Aid?

This isn't cautious optimism. It seems like a preemptive "I told you so" article in case the team blows up in Pioli's face.

Mr. Arrowhead
02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Whitlock is just pissed he cant any inside info, so fuck that fat bastard

unothadeal
02-28-2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/1060759.html“Hey, I appreciate you coming to town. Unfortunately, it’s not a good time right now. We’re in the middle of finalizing our game plan for free agency, the draft and the offseason program. When we have our plan together, we look forward to sharing it with you and the entire roster. Just be patient, Brian. We’re going to win games and believe you can help us do that.”

Coming to their office unannounced doesn't warrant that kind of response.

"I appreciate you coming to town."

What do they have to appreciate? They didn't ask him to visit. He just assumed he was going to get the kind of attention he did with the last regime, which he won't.

"We look forward to sharing it with you"

Why the hell should they share anything with a player except the game plan on Sundays

Count Alex's Losses
02-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Let us not forget that Whitlock supported Herm, 100 percent, from the beginning.

Dayze
02-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Man, I wish Whitlock would get a job somewhere else. Even when there is really nothing negative to write about, he 'finds' things - correction - creates things to write about.

NO player is a slam dunk - draft, or FA.

Go away, Jason. We're finally moving in the right direction. Whether or not you approve/disapprove of the Cassel signing, it's an indication that management & coaches have the big picture in mind, and not the "8-8; hope we eek into a wild-card spot".

DeezNutz
This isn't cautious optimism. It seems like a preemptive "I told you so" article in case the team blows up in Pioli's face.

He said it looks good on paper, but that we've seen this story before. What's not accurate about that?

I think you can see it both ways, really. Someone who's hesitant can always play the "I thought so!" card.

Deberg_1990
I like how JWhit thinks the new regime should treat a Guard like hes the king of Arrowhead.

Messier
02-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I also love how not playing favorites with the media = arrogant. I don't think Pioli and Haley are arrogant, I just don't think they play the coy games that Whitlock fed off of with Peterson.

blueballs
02-28-2009, 11:17 PM
If Dorsey cornered him in the locker room
Haley would look the other way

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:18 PM
I like how JWhit thinks the new regime should treat a Guard like hes the king of Arrowhead.

Dude his job is to be negative and paint the front office as stupid it's what he does, the easiest way for him to do that in this town is to make it look like tenured players are being poorly treated, this is a market that is overly sentimental.

Dayze
02-28-2009, 11:18 PM

I didn't want Pioli or Haley to tiptoe around Arrowhead like they owed anybody anything.

Coudln't agree more.
The mindset/atmosphere of Arrowhead must change (and it has I believe). The Chiefs have sucked pipe for over a decade; and haven't snifed a SB in 20 years.

Players - shut up and play football, make plays, earn your paycheck. Otherwise, adios.

As a player, would rather have hugs, and ego stroking and "we'll get' em next year"! or would you rather earn your money, and win a championship. I think most of the players on this team would rather cash their checks and head to their offseason homes than accomplish anything.

KCChiefsFan88
02-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Let us not forget that Whitlock supported Herm, 100 percent, from the beginning.

And continued to slurp him even as he systematically destroyed the franchise.

wazu
02-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Whitlock misses Carl so much.

Halfcan
02-28-2009, 11:20 PM

exactly-like Pioli was going to tell all his secrets to Brian??? :doh!:

Dayze
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Whitlock, like a majority of NFL players - and most Chiefs players in particular - is simply cashing a check.

Zero effort; simply going the easy route; doing the bare minimum.

Messier
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Whitlock misses Carl so much.

No joke.

Mr. Arrowhead
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Whitlock's diet not going so well?

the Talking Can
02-28-2009, 11:29 PM
unbelievable whining already

jesus christ

Waters can't pick up a god damn cell phone and now Whitlock has already pegged our new regime as arrogant for not kissing the ass of a guard on a 2-14 team...

talk about over reacting....waters, whitlock, and any other losers in kc who want to be coddled for accomplishing NOTHING can fucking beat it....

sorry ass pussies

rambleonthruthefog
02-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Whitlock, like a majority of NFL players is simply cashing a check.

Zero effort; simply going the easy route; doing the bare minimum.

i'm not sure thats fair to most NFL players. what do you really know of it?

ChiefBrad
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Now we have 2 good qb's and that is not a bad thing at all. Cassel is a good player so I have no problems with the move. It is better than drafting Sanchez... That would have ticked me off having to watch another rookie develop. Cassel has been in the league for 4 seasons in a winning atmosphere and Vrabel has a winning spirit also that will hopefully bring good leadership to the "D" Our D is so young. We need a Vrabel an old tough LB to talk to these younger players in playoff games. Curry will be a great Linebacker we need to draft him. Our D needs more help than our offense.

T-post Tom
02-28-2009, 11:43 PM
jwhit drinks from the dick sock.

J Diddy
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
wasn't waters signed in vermeils first year?

J Diddy
02-28-2009, 11:45 PM
jwhit drinks from the dick sock.

I have created a monster.......

Dayze
02-28-2009, 11:46 PM
i'm not sure thats fair to most NFL players. what do you really know of it?

Well, it's certainly an assumption on my part - no first hand knowledge etc.

I mainly base it on huge, tough losses, and the losing team is joking and shootin' the breeze after a game deciding play/ or after the game. I don't expect them to jump off a bridge, but I can't imagine someone who is highly competitive to win, to simply brush off a loss in a playoff/conference championship game.

I think there are more players who 'don't care' than those who do. That's all.
Hoepfully we can find more of the latter.

:thumb:

bowener
02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
God damn, he and Waters both need to go cry in some beers, or maybe they should just fuck already. You'd think they were lovers, scorned by Haley and Pioli. JWhit is pissy because nobody from arrowhead will talk to his fat ass, and Waters needs to change his tampon now that he knows he is just a bitch in the machine called the Chiefs. He is no soldier, just another OL, one that looked like a PBer on the same line as Roaf and Shields, but since then, looks like an above average player at best.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Now we have 2 good qb's and that is not a bad thing at all. Cassel is a good player so I have no problems with the move. It is better than drafting Sanchez... That would have ticked me off having to watch another rookie develop. Cassel has been in the league for 4 seasons in a winning atmosphere and Vrabel has a winning spirit also that will hopefully bring good leadership to the "D" Our D is so young. We need a Vrabel an old tough LB to talk to these younger players in playoff games. Curry will be a great Linebacker we need to draft him. Our D needs more help than our offense.

2 good QB's uh where?

MVChiefFan
02-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Whitlock's schtick is growing tiresome. I know he's supposed to be the "bad guy" that stirs up controversy but seriously, it's getting old. How can you even compare Pioli/Haley with Peterson/Vermeil? There is one major difference between Pioli's "arrogance" and Peterson's. Pioli can back it up, Peterson had NOTHING.

stevieray
03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

...just a little bit harder.

BigRedChief
03-01-2009, 02:06 AM
A "players coach" got us 2 wins 25 games. Time to give something else a shot. Pioli has earned the right to do it his way.

In Pioli we trust.

Saccopoo
03-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Blueballs wins. I'm sure that the Patriots have really respected Jason after he was seen hanging out of the press section with the "Bledsoe is Gay" sign he penned during the Chiefs/Pats game way back when. And I'm sure that Pioli and Haley are just tickled pink with his recent "reporting" of the Brian "I'm my own agent and I want to be traded or sent to FA and I want to demand a meet because I'm also the NFL player representative for the team and I just got back from a Pro Bowl but I have no scheduled meeting and any other agent who would like to discuss contract negotiations would schedule a meeting so now I feel bad because the GM and coach acting in a professional manner wouldn't meet with me as I attempted to buttfuck them with my duality as a player/agent/perceived goodguy in the community and they negotiated with me as they would any other dumbass agent who showed up unannounced in telling me to go pound sand" Waters incident at Arrowhead. Whitlock, at this point, is sucking sour grapes. He's now officially cut off. Maybe he can do the "Lifestyles" section of the Star. Maybe he can watch it all fade into the sunset like the Rocky Mountain News. Anyway, this stinks of a very poor attempt at expanding upon and (a very poor attempt at) justifying his recent Brian Waters "scoop."

Mecca
03-01-2009, 02:15 AM
All of his articles are building up the same premise...it's not a hard pattern to see.

Road Hog
03-01-2009, 07:42 AM
He even got Jeff George's name in the article!

Baby Lee
03-01-2009, 08:02 AM
and Larry Johnson was on the team
when DV came to town

And by 'the team' you mean the Penn State Nittany Lions.

RINGLEADER
03-01-2009, 08:48 AM
This article smells like Whitlock trying to rehabilitate the image that he painted on Brian Waters with his article last week. In particular this quote that he claims Pioli and/or Haley should have recited when Waters came looking for answers:

“Hey, I appreciate you coming to town. Unfortunately, it’s not a good time right now. We’re in the middle of finalizing our game plan for free agency, the draft and the offseason program. When we have our plan together, we look forward to sharing it with you and the entire roster. Just be patient, Brian. We’re going to win games and believe you can help us do that.”

How does not saying it automatically translate into arrogance as Whitlock insinuates. And shouldn't Waters have known this already? Is Waters stupid too?

As far as Whitlock's assessment of Cassel I think he's doing his typical schtick where he got what he wanted but now has to cloak it in a bunch of false-positive stats. Randy Moss has NOT made every quarterback he's played with better.

As far as Whitlock's assessment that Belichek doesn't do favors it does look, if the NFLN reporting is correct, that he did do us a favor by taking a lower draft pick for Cassel than what could have been packaged with the Lions/Bucs and Broncos.

Some things never change I guess...

RINGLEADER
03-01-2009, 08:50 AM
All of his articles are building up the same premise...it's not a hard pattern to see.

Yep.

I'm sure it bothers him that a) no one in the Chiefs organization will talk to him and b) no one in the Chiefs organization cares if he doesn't like it.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Yep.

I'm sure it bothers him that a) no one in the Chiefs organization will talk to him and b) no one in the Chiefs organization cares if he doesn't like it.

For his negative stuff to work he needs a portion of the fan base to buy it or think "hey he's got a point" in this market which is sentimental the easiest way to do that is say the big bad front office is picking on our team leaders that are good in the community.

the Talking Can
03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
all of this, from beginning to end is Brian Water's fault

this non-issue happened because he was too stupid to use a phone and call

and then he ran like a child to Whitlock to cry and tell stories about the big bad mean men....

fuck Waters....i understand better than ever why this franchise has accomplished nothing for twenty years...

Pioli and Haley were brought in to burn this thing down and start over...that's their job...you can't do that and be nice to the retards at the same time

RINGLEADER
03-01-2009, 08:59 AM
**** Waters....i understand better than ever why this franchise has accomplished nothing for twenty years...

Pioli and Haley were brought in to burn this thing down and start over...that's their job...you can't do that and be nice to the retards at the same time

Well said.

rad
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
This article sucks. It's also laced with many inaccuracies.

TEX
03-01-2009, 09:13 AM

This.
It took a new era for us to finally agree on something...

phisherman
03-01-2009, 09:19 AM

agreed, 100%.

notice how he says in the article, "you recognize what I enjoy most are the few times a decade when I’m right about something", but he's still a sourpuss.

it sure makes him smart if the chiefs bomb, he can say "i told you so".
if they do well, he can say that he was behind the team the whole time.

what a pile of BS. covering his bases for both outcomes just so it doesn't look like he's completely full of s**t.

BigRedChief
03-01-2009, 09:24 AM

and then he ran like a child to Whitlock to cry and tell stories about the big bad mean men....

**** Waters....i understand better than ever why this franchise has accomplished nothing for twenty years...

:clap: but would our reaction be different if it was Tony G?

petegz28
03-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I stopped reading after this...

They disrespected and alienated a potential loyal soldier, Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters

Bwana
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM

Great post....rep

Mecca
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM

Whitlock already set that ball up awhile back....I won't be surprised if Gonzalez isn't on this team when the season starts.

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2009, 09:31 AM

That's fine. But again, Waters did not run to Whitlock crying. Like I said in another thread, if Waters is the "anonymous source" then Whitlock lied in his previous article. And Whitlock would not purposely lie like that in order to make up a story. There are journalistic standards and he wouldn't have gotten this far if he broke them. So you can form whatever opinion on Waters, but he wasn't the one who complained.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
That's fine. But again, Waters did not run to Whitlock crying. Like I said in another thread, if Waters is the "anonymous source" then Whitlock lied in his previous article. And Whitlock would not purposely lie like that in order to make up a story. There are journalistic standards and he wouldn't have gotten this far if he broke them. So you can form whatever opinion on Waters, but he wasn't the one who complained.

He didn't lie, and he didn't break any journalistic standards. This is common practice.

Waters talked, but didn't want to get named. As long as Whitlock can tell his editor who the source is, everything is cool, journalistically speaking.

If you think Whitlock was getting that level of detail from anyone but Waters' butthurt ass, you're kidding yourself.

Mosbonian
03-01-2009, 09:36 AM

Man..I hate it when I have to agree with you, but you nailed it on the head.

This is nothing but a mistake on the part of Waters. Had he thought it out he could have played it better.

I have no problem with Pioli or Haley giving him the cold shoulder. I want to see my favorite team win a Super Bowl...if that means trading an All-Pro lineman who got his feelings hurt for a couple of draft picks I say pull the trigger. I'm tired of losing seasons!

mmaddog

Deberg_1990
03-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Mine wouldnt. Not one bit.

Mosbonian
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM

For my response....no.

I like Tony G and hope he stays a Chief till he retires. But if winning a Super Bowl means I have to jettison two All Pro's and wish them the best against everyone but the Chief's let me know where I can send my contribution.

Not many on here are old enough to remember, but the problems that the Chief's faced after their only Super Bowl win was grooming replacements for their aging team. We rode the Vets (all of them) till they were nothing but a ghost of what they once were. And by then the cupboard was bare.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990
03-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Not many on here are old enough to remember, but the problems that the Chief's faced after their only Super Bowl win was grooming replacements for their aging team. We rode the Vets (all of them) till they were nothing but a ghost of what they once were. And by then the cupboard was bare.

mmaddog

Pioli and Belichek were masters in NE of knowing when to dump a player, keep him or sign an aging vet to a decent contract who can contribute.

No one player is above the team.

Saul Good
03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
So which is it, Whitlock? Does Cassel suck because he had Moss to throw to and thus looked better than he was, or does Cassel suck because he didn't throw the ball to Moss enough?

shaneo69
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I totally agree with Whitlock on this article. I'm guessing Haley will be exposed as a screaming lunatic crybaby early on. Players love that. Kind of like Gunther, except Gunther was the drill sargeant type of screamer while Haley appears to be that annoying guy on the men's league softball team who's always yelling about something stupid.

And I'm not going to annoint Pioli a genius until he does something without Belichick. This is the same guy that signed Warfield and Beisel after we dumped those guys.

Even Carl got slurped in the offseason on this board. I don't know how many times I read "This is Carl's best offseason ever!" Sorry, I ain't drinkin' the kool aid yet.

Brock
03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
And I'm not going to annoint Pioli a genius until he does something without Belichick. This is the same guy that signed Warfield and Beisel after we dumped those guys.

So Belichick built the team except for the crappy signings, which were Pioli's idea?

milkman
03-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Are you kidding?

Everytime that dumbass opens his mouth I think he just needs to shut the hell up.

Everytime.

milkman
03-01-2009, 10:37 AM
So Belichick built the team except for the crappy signings, which were Pioli's idea?

Isn't it obvious?

DTLB58
03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
"Let me make this clear: I’m rooting for Pioli and Haley".

But yet I will take shots at them anytime I get the chance....Thanks for the support there Whitlock of the home team.

Let's face it, and why don't you admit it? your job is to create controversy out of any good news that comes from Arrowhead. So 4321

Also, Moss didn't make every QB he played with look awesome or he would still be in Oakland.

I thought yestday afternoon about the comparison between DV/Trent Green and Pioli/Cassel but you know what? So What! This guy passed for back to back 400 yard games last year and was on a winning team.

There is a clear cut plan coming out of KC right now, we all should be greatful to be in the hands of the younger Hunt,Pioli and Haley. Especially when you consider where we have been with Herm/Carl and the 80's regime.

And if Whitlock would get off his high horse he would see that also.

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
He didn't lie, and he didn't break any journalistic standards. This is common practice.

Waters talked, but didn't want to get named. As long as Whitlock can tell his editor who the source is, everything is cool, journalistically speaking.

If you think Whitlock was getting that level of detail from anyone but Waters' butthurt ass, you're kidding yourself.

He said in his previous piece that Waters could not be reached for comment. That changes the game. It's one thing to name a source, it's quite another to lie about not having talked to Waters. That's a lie and I don't think even Whitlock would stoop to that level.

If Waters was truly upset, I see no reason why he would insist on anonymity. Anyone stop to think that maybe this "source" was a teammate that Waters griped to?

Brock
03-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Translation: They won't talk to me, so I'm going to hammer them as much as I can.

Craqhead
03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
At least they look good on paper... unlike JW's bs. It dont look good on paper, nor on the comp screen.

DTLB58
03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I totally agree with Whitlock on this article. I'm guessing Haley will be exposed as a screaming lunatic crybaby early on. Players love that. Kind of like Gunther, except Gunther was the drill sargeant type of screamer while Haley appears to be that annoying guy on the men's league softball team who's always yelling about something stupid.

Even Carl got slurped in the offseason on this board. I don't know how many times I read "This is Carl's best offseason ever!" Sorry, I ain't drinkin' the kool aid yet.

Let's see.... he Fired Herm, did he call Belichick before he did that do ya think?

Some people....We could win the SB this year and there will be those that say well NE won 3 let's see them do that, then we will talk. :rolleyes:

There were those that were screaming let's hire a H.C. what is taking him so long? Then we get the coach and on FA Friday why aren't we signing anyone? Then we actually make a trade to get a Franchise QB and people aren't happy with it.

Un-Freakin belivable. :shake:

HC_Chief
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Translation: They won't talk to me, so I'm going to hammer them as much as I can.

Yep. "Waaah, they're ARROGANT"

DTLB58
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM

Exactly!

And Gretz will probably go there soon also because all of his articles are just factual based on what already has happened. You can tell he isn't being fed the same info he was with Carl.

Let the crying begin.

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 10:56 AM
agreed, 100%.

notice how he says in the article, "you recognize what I enjoy most are the few times a decade when I’m right about something", but he's still a sourpuss.

what a pile of BS. covering his bases for both outcomes just so it doesn't look like he's completely full of s**t.

This article says "This plan can turn out good or bad." So, he can say I told you so no matter what happens.

milkman
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Then we actually make a trade to get a Franchise QB and people aren't happy with it.

The reason people aren't happy with that is because we don't believe Cassel is a franchise QB.

petegz28
03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
agreed, 100%.

Too bad Pioli cannot fire Whitlock!

Skip Towne
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
The reason people aren't happy with that is because we don't believe Cassel is a franchise QB.

You have to take chances or you are a true fan.

petegz28
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM

It would not have mattered who he drafted and\or traded for. People would bitch. This is the Chiefs.

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:04 AM
It would not have mattered who he drafted and\or traded for. People would bitch. This is the Chiefs.

That's the beauty, though.

We all have opinions, and we get to discuss them here, and yes, we are going to bitch when we disagree with something..

Some of them will be right, some wrong, and I have been wrong before.

The great thing is that the only thing hurt is one's pride here.

I hope like hell I'm wrong now.

DaWolf
03-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Let's be honest here. No one is going to be happy with anything until we win a Super Bowl. If we drafted a guy some people would have preferred we drafted the other guy, and some people would have preferred we not drafted any guy and stuck with Thigpen.

The fanbase will never be united until we win the Super Bowl. And even then people will find reason to complain after a while. It's really the nature of any fanbase...

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Let's be honest here. No one is going to be happy with anything until we win a Super Bowl. If we drafted a guy some people would have preferred we drafted the other guy, and some people would have preferred we not drafted any guy and stuck with Thigpen.

The fanbase will never be united until we win the Super Bowl. And even then people will find reason to complain after a while. It's really the nature of any fanbase...

Exactly.

Coogs
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
[url]We’ve seen this before. Fresh off a Super Bowl victory in 1999, Dick Vermeil used a high draft pick to acquire the QB he loved in St. Louis (Trent Green), spoke confidently about procuring players who “fit the profile,” blasted Larry Johnson for wearing a diaper and wooed the local media with dinner, wine and a spirit of love.

You see the similarities?

Emboldened by his success with the Rams, Vermeil parachuted into Kansas City convinced he knew football secrets that only a select few had ever learned.

Eventually, as the game is prone to do, football humbled the Hall-of-Fame-worthy coach. After five years, one playoff appearance, zero playoff victories and a boatload of shiny offensive stats, Vermeil re-re-retired.

We should be so lucky if this takes off like the DV era took off. Many here complained about Green, but he turned out to be a very good pick. If Cassel can duplicate Green, then we are in good shape.

The only thing CP and DV did wrong was that they made public their favorite feature on their perfect woman. They are obviously both breast men. They turned the defense over to two of the biggest boobs they could find. DV nuzzled up with G-Rob, and CP liked nursing on Gun.

Hopefully Pioli and Haley are ass men or leg men. So far, it appears that JW thinks they are ass men.

:thumb:

ChiefMojo
03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm just happy we didn't get Sanchez and this is all. I would have been happy with Stafford or Thigpen. I like the Cassel move to be honest. Just glad we said no to Sanchez!

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm just happy we didn't get Sanchez and this is all. I would have been happy with Stafford or Thigpen. I like the Cassel move to be honest. Just glad we said no to Sanchez!

You'd be happy with Thigpen.

Tells me everything I need to know.

mlyonsd
03-01-2009, 11:25 AM
We could win the SB and Whitlock would find some way to bitch about it.