PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Any roofers here?

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Well the snow started melting today and I noticed a leak in my bathroom ceiling this morning. The house is only 3 years old but the warranty is over. I got up in the attic and couldnt find where the water is coming in from with a flashlight, probably because its a brand new leak and the wood isnt stained yet.

Does anyone know approximately how much something like this would cost to fix? Any roofers in the Springfield area willing to give a planet discount? :)

max sleeper
03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Hello, Shingles have a warranty of 25 or 30 years and up. I bet you have a leek around your pipe flashing above your bath room. A tube of wet dry roof cement and a plastic putty knife would probably fix it. $5 is what that would run ya. Freeze and thaw is probably the problem. Did you have any limbs hit your roof when the ice came through?

Go Chiefs!

max sleeper
03-01-2009, 10:12 AM
If a roofer comes out... honest $50 fly by night guy $100-200 call someone if the roof is steep and make sure they have been in business for awhile.

Go Chiefs!

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Hello, Shingles have a warranty of 25 or 30 years and up. I bet you have a leek around your pipe flashing above your bath room. A tube of wet dry roof cement and a plastic putty knife would probably fix it. $5 is what that would run ya. Freeze and thaw is probably the problem. Did you have any limbs hit your roof when the ice came through?

Go Chiefs!

Its a brand new sub-division with only young trees so no limbs. I thought of roof cement around the flashings/vents but I wouldnt be very comfortable unless I knew for sure thats where the water was coming from.

Any tips on finding brand new water leaks inside the attic? I looked directly above the leak and didnt see anything, but it could be coming from somewhere else and running down.

Phobia
03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Roof cement is a 2-year bandaid. Just fix it right.

It could be anything, valley, vent boot, ridge, or even an ice dam. Get a pro to come fix it and give you a guarantee.

KCSupersized
03-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Its a brand new sub-division with only young trees so no limbs. I thought of roof cement around the flashings/vents but I wouldnt be very comfortable unless I knew for sure thats where the water was coming from.

Any tips on finding brand new water leaks inside the attic? I looked directly above the leak and didnt see anything, but it could be coming from somewhere else and running down.

I'm not an expert, but I got on my roof with a garden hose to find my leak once.

Baconeater
03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I'd bet my left nut it's ice damming.

Brock
03-01-2009, 10:44 AM

It could be anything, valley, vent boot, ridge, or even an ice dam. Get a pro to come fix it and give you a guarantee.

This, it isn't anything to screw around with even if it comes out of your pocket.

PRIEST
03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Ice Dam or lack of .If it just started leaking with the snow Its the Ice damn, if it leaks when it rains look for the obvious ( flashing around roof vent stacks, missing shingles ) if two story all wall & half gable flashing should be checked , good luck.

redsurfer11
03-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Well the snow started melting today and I noticed a leak in my bathroom ceiling this morning. The house is only 3 years old but the warranty is over. I got up in the attic and couldnt find where the water is coming in from with a flashlight, probably because its a brand new leak and the wood isnt stained yet.

Does anyone know approximately how much something like this would cost to fix? Any roofers in the Springfield area willing to give a planet discount? :)

How far from the exterior wall is the leak? Is there a skylight?

Dave Lane
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Phil,

You got any one thats good at torchdown?

blueballs
03-01-2009, 12:21 PM
try throwing a couple of tires on rims up there

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 12:30 PM

I'll PM you my address so you know where to send it. :D

Well I got up in my attic and tracked the leak down finally. This is very strange. The pipe thats coming from the fan/vent in my bathroom leads up into the attic instead of out of the roof (maybe they're all like that, I dont know). I guess since we never turn that fan on it built up a ton of condensation in the pipe and it was leaking out of the elbow. I wrapped the elbow up with a ton of duct tape and Im going to start turning the fan on for a couple hours a day so hopefully it will stay dry inside of that pipe. Anyone heard of this sort of thing happening?

Joe Seahawk
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM

Well I got up in my attic and tracked the leak down finally. This is very strange. The pipe thats coming from the fan/vent in my bathroom leads up into the attic instead of out of the roof (maybe they're all like that, I dont know). I guess since we never turn that fan on it built up a ton of condensation in the pipe and it was leaking out of the elbow. I wrapped the elbow up with a ton of duct tape and Im going to start turning the fan on for a couple hours a day so hopefully it will stay dry inside of that pipe. Anyone heard of this sort of thing happening?

Thats not good.. You really should vent that pipe through the roof, the builders of the home should be responsible to fix that IMO, if not its not that big of deal to vent it out.. It's important that you do it especially if there is a shower/ tub in that bathroom.

bobbymitch
03-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Happens more often than you would think. For many, the moisture just soaks into the insulation and goes unnoticed. The bath vent fan should vent directly outside using an outlet much like your dryer vent. There was a episode on Ask This Old House that covered this issue.

mlyonsd
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Thats not good.. You really should vent that pipe through the roof, the builders of the home should be responsible to fix that IMO, if not its not that big of deal to vent it out.. It's important that you do it especially if there is a shower/ tub in that bathroom.

I dunno, I ran my bathroom vent tube up in the attic, curved down into a 5 gallon bucket. Of course my roof is vented very well through soffet and a roof cap vent.

Pretty common practice around here.

Dave Lane
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Just put a U joint on the top of it so moisture doesn't drip in it. If its just a fan vent its better not to perforate the roof again imo

Joe Seahawk
03-01-2009, 01:05 PM
IMO it's always a bad idea to vent moisture into your attic. Maybe it's because I'm a waterproofing contractor in Seattle.. :) The land of eternal dampness..

stlchiefs
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd like to hear from someone in the know (Phil) is venting into the attic up to code? I thought if work was done by code you couldn't just vent into the ceiling, but had to remove it outside. Just wondering.

Baconeater
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Actually, if you had mentioned it was leaking around your vent fan I would've suggested that, it's not uncommon at all. And it's also SOP to vent the fans into the attic.

Baconeater
03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd like to hear from someone in the know (Phil) is venting into the attic up to code? I thought if work was done by code you couldn't just vent into the ceiling, but had to remove it outside. Just wondering.
It's acceptable here, but codes may vary from one jurisdiction to another.

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Im wondering that as well. If its not and the contractor refuses to fix it since the house isnt under warranty anymore, who would I call to complain?

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Actually, if you had mentioned it was leaking around your vent fan I would've suggested that, it's not uncommon at all. And it's also SOP to vent the fans into the attic.

Its not around my vent fan. Its a good 5-6 feet away and above the mirror/sink.

mlyonsd
03-01-2009, 02:04 PM
IMO it's always a bad idea to vent moisture into your attic. Maybe it's because I'm a waterproofing contractor in Seattle.. :) The land of eternal dampness..

Oh I agree, it depends on the situation. If your attic doesn't have much venting to the outside I'm not sure I'd recommend it either.

Baconeater
03-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Ah, I see. What is it piped with? PVC? Up here they normally just use that plastic dryer vent crap, and the condensation just runs back down it.

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Anyway, after a few hours with the vent fan on the leaking has stopped and the wet spot in the ceiling has already almost completely disappeared.

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Ah, I see. What is it piped with? PVC? Up here they normally just use that plastic dryer vent crap, and the condensation just runs back down it.

No its a real thin metal pipe...not too good with my metals so Im not sure what kind.

mlyonsd
03-01-2009, 02:07 PM

So the fan has an exhaust pipe up in the attic with an elbow in it but then it doesn't go anywhere? That does sound like they intended to vent it thru the roof but dropped the ball.

Baconeater
03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
No its a real thin metal pipe...not too good with my metals so Im not sure what kind.
That's just sheet metal, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'd just run the fan whenever the shower is being used and that should prevent this problem.

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 02:10 PM
So the fan has an exhaust pipe up in the attic with an elbow in it but then it doesn't go anywhere? That does sound like they intended to vent it thru the roof but dropped the ball.

No, it comes up into the attic, then runs flat across a beam, then elbow's straight up into the air about 3 feet then elbows out again like diesel exhaust.

mlyonsd
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
No, it comes up into the attic, then runs flat across a beam, then elbow's straight up into the air about 3 feet then elbows out again like diesel exhaust.

I don't understand why they'd run it horizontal but I think bugeater has you covered.

I built my house and ran the vent straight up and over into a 5 gallon bucket and haven't had any problems in 12 years.

Gotta love the little fun things about owning a home, right?:)

Joe Seahawk
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Here's a quick vid on how to properly vent the fan, it's not that hard actually..
]
http://www.askthebuilder.com/Roof_Flashing_for_Bathroom_Fans_Video.shtml

stlchiefs
03-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Since it was mentioned before I thought I'd post an interesting link on ice damns. Feel free to read at your pleasure: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/DK1068.html

stlchiefs
03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Here's a quick vid on how to properly vent the fan, it's not that hard actually..
]
http://www.askthebuilder.com/Roof_Flashing_for_Bathroom_Fans_Video.shtml

Great website. I'll be wasting some time on there.

GoTrav
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM

I have a house and a roof but wtf is ice damming

Baconeater
03-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a house and a roof but wtf is ice damming
See post #33.