PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jay Mariotti is wanting the NFL to investigate the Cassel Trade

Mr. Arrowhead
03-01-2009, 10:45 AM
http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2009/02/28/chiefs-sweetheart-deal-for-cassel-warrants-nfl-probe/

Kansas City's Sweetheart Deal for Cassel Warrants NFL Probe

Jay MariottiPosted Feb 28th 2009 6:44 PM by Jay Mariotti (RSS feed)
Filed Under: NFL
Matt CasselPresumably because a pulled pork sandwich wasn't available from Arthur Bryant's barbecue joint, the New England Patriots settled for a mere second-round draft pick in a blockbuster trade with Kansas City. Sorry, but something smells here, and it's not the beans and potato salad. In fact, I'm interrupting an offseason weekend at the NFL offices to make an announcement:

"Paging Roger Goodell, Roger Goodell! Bill Belichick is at it again!''

First it was Spygate, the espionage caper that left a permanent cheating smear on Belichick's legacy after the Patriots illegally videotaped opponents' defensive signals. Now we have the Pioli Scheme, a suspicion that Belichick's relationship with his close pal and dearly departed partner in dynasty glory, new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, contributed to a ridiculously soft compensation package in their Saturday deal. In return for the second-round choice, the Chiefs acquired a whopping, franchise-changing haul -- promising young quarterback Matt Cassel and veteran linebacker Mike Vrabel -- that should have merited at least two high picks, if not Kansas City's golden No. 3 slot in the first round of the April draft. For perspective, consider that the Houston Texans sent two second-round picks to Atlanta two years ago after signing quarterback Matt Schaub, who didn't have nearly the experience or success enjoyed by Cassel in his breakout 2008 season. And that the Chiefs obtained a first-round pick and two third-rounders last offseason when they traded Jared Allen, the Pro Bowl pass-rusher, to Minnesota.

But Belichick, usually the crustiest S.O.B. in the business when it comes to wheeling and dealing and protecting the sanctity of his football operation, didn't hold out long in accepting the 34th-overall pick for a potential Pro Bowl passer and reliable defensive player and leader. Beyond that, the Chiefs also keep the No. 3 pick, which they might use on a Cassel-protecting offensive lineman or a compelling talent such as linebacker Aaron Curry. By my count, no fewer than six NFL teams -- Tampa Bay, Detroit, San Francisco, Chicago, Carolina and the New York Jets -- need quarterbacking upgrades and could have been lured into the Cassel bidding. But only one day into the league's free-agency marketplace, Belichick sent Pioli an extravagant Welcome Wagon gift, complete with wrapping and a pretty bow.

What better way to thank Pioli, who tag-teamed with Belichick to mold three Super Bowl-champion teams, than by setting him up with a dramatic personnel boost in his first winter? Problem is, it smacks of an integrity issue when Belichick earmarks business with a pal and doesn't maximize his return in a big trade. You think other teams aren't irked today at The Gray Hoodie's unusual graciousness? Complicating the story was a Saturday night report on ESPN.com that the Denver Broncos had pursued a three-way trade that would have reunited Cassel with new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and sent Jay Cutler to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who would have compensated the Patriots. The talks fell through for whatever reason -- all of which is said to rightfully anger Cutler, an accomplished Pro Bowl quarterback who reportedly wants to be traded now -- and it prompts more questions about the Belichick-Pioli perfecta winning out.

These developments really should draw the attention of the commissioner. Goodell's rock-solid performance so far has been based on an aggressive, proactive approach to most league issues, including player conduct off the field. His one lapse in judgment was letting Belichick off the hook on Spygate, limiting his discipline to a $500,000 fine and the docking of a low first-round draft pick. Why no suspensions? Why not an exhaustive investigation into the three championship seasons and whether the Patriots were illegally taping signals then? The commissioner seemed to be protecting Patriots owner Bob Kraft, a prominent league power-player who helped Goodell land his job.

Let's watch how he handles this. We've seen baseball commissioners, even Bud Selig, rescind trades because of hanky-panky. Belichick can argue that a 34th pick is quite valuable and that Cassel, before throwing for 3,693 yards and 21 touchdowns after Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury, had spent his pro career wearing a ballcap. He also can say he loosened up almost $20 million of cap room, unloaded an older linebacker who had only 4 1/2 sacks last year and now owns four picks in the first two rounds, which will allow an aging team to keep getting younger. Still, all of that is overwhelmed by the fact his deal was with Pioli. It looks like an orchestration, and if the Chiefs recover from a lengthy futility streak that has bottomed out with 23 losses in their last 25 games, you'll be hearing plenty next season about Belichick's grand assist.

Naturally, both men issued statements that didn't address anything but the players involved. "I have a long history with both players. Mike and Matt are men that I respect both personally and professionally,'' Pioli said. 'I look forward to having them as new members of the Chiefs family.'' Belichick raved about Vrabel's leadership and work ethic and said of Cassel, "It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result. As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career.''

With a distinguished executive member of the Belichick Tree, mind you.

As NFL trades go, this one was an eye-opener in many ways. It confirms the Patriots are confident that Brady will make a full recovery from reconstructive knee surgery and a subsequent infection. Of course, some will say Cassel should have been kept as Gisele Insurance, pointing to Brady's creepy track record since he began dating his new bride, supermodel Gisele Bundchen. They initially hooked up in 2006. In 2007, the Patriots lost the AFC championship game and dealt with Spygate. In 2008, they were upset by the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, a jolt followed by Brady's lost season. While Gisele is dressing her dogs in matching Dolce & Gabbana floral lace collars, she might want to extend more tender, loving care to her hubby. But by trading Cassel, Belichick is showing remarkable faith in Brady, who also was troubled by a foot problem in the Super Bowl defeat.

His game isn't about mobility and scrambling, anyway. It's about accuracy, savvy and thinking on his feet better than any quarterback since Montana. Brady hasn't said much about his rehab, other than this from an appearance on a Toronto radio station: "(Bleep) happens, so to speak. The reality is, it happens ... I'm in a new part of my career, and a different process that I'm excited about. Rehabilitation has different challenges. The tough part is you're not experiencing stuff you love to do. Once you get over that, you focus on whatever you have to focus on."

And the rehab itself? "It's going really well. Things come up and you just have to focus your energy and attention on all the positive things,'' he said. "I'm excited about the process and the so many wonderful people that have helped me. I think I'm the most well-taken care of knee patient in history."

The Chiefs, meanwhile, finally have an arrow that is pointing upward. They purged a stodgy chief executive, Carl Peterson. They fired coach Herm Edwards and replaced him with fireball Todd Haley, who will work well with Cassel. Pioli can bring in more draft picks to accompany his big one by trading tight end Tony Gonzalez. Apparently, rather than trading troubled running back Larry Johnson, the Chiefs are hoping to brighten his sour mood with the Cassel deal. Oh, and guess who else is still on the team? Safety Bernard Pollard, who took a low path toward Brady's knee and knocked him out for the season. If not for Pollard, Cassel is still holding a clipboard and make a couple of bucks instead of the financial bonanza currently being negotiated.

I doubt the Chiefs will follow the quantum leaps taken last season by the Atlanta Falcons and Miami Dolphins, who emerged from the gutter to make the playoffs. But they will be a respectable operation with a dynamic QB, a renovated Arrowhead Stadium and hope in the air.

All thanks to Bill Belichick, the new GM's bosom buddy.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
How awesome is it that we pulled off a trade so embarrassingly in our favor that people actually want to investigate it?

If that's not the first real indication that Scott Pioli is going to be a fantastic GM, I'm not sure what is.

What a great feeling.

Hog Farmer
03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Nothing to investigate. Move along!

Katipan
03-01-2009, 10:52 AM
If that's not the first real indication that Scott Pioli is going to be a fantastic GM, I'm not sure what is.

What a great feeling.

heh.

Even boys like the Assholes.

L.A. Chieffan
can we investigate the fact that carl was our fucking gm for 20 years and maybe recieve restitution for that? fuck off marifuckball

KcMizzou
How awesome is it that we pulled off a trade so embarrassingly in our favor that people actually want to investigate it?

What a great feeling.Pretty damned sweet.

Duck Dog
The hard on some people with the Belichick is amusing and sad.

the New England Patriots settled for a mere second-round draft pick

WTF?

KCinNY

What a great feeling.

My thoughts exactly.

How does this trade compare with Carl's gem of sending a 2nd to Philly for Victor Bailey?

WhitiE
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
TY BB!!!!

Mecca
03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Ha we got a guy from the Patriots so obviously we cheat now too!

Patsfanlisa
03-01-2009, 10:56 AM
And so comes your first glimpse of the media hatred that follows all things Patriots...

Good luck to all with your new QB. Cassel is great, we'll miss him, and he gave us an exciting season. He's a quick learner, a smart guy, very athletic, and he will do you proud.

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I've heard people say this and it's absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Does Marrioti actually believe that the Patriots willingly screwed themselves in order to satisfy an old friend? Last time I checked, the Patriots are interested in winning, not in making their friends happy. More importantly, this isn't exactly the first time a trade was nixed despite having another offer on the table. Players are constantly told that they can't negotiate with a team within the division and, like in the Trent Green trade, players usually choose where they want to go.

This is why everyone thinks Mariotti is a hack. Because he's a complete moron and everybody in Chicago despises him.

milkman
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM

What a great feeling.

Let me preface my question by saying I don't believe there's any way in hell there is some conspiracy here, or that BB made this trade because of some sort of benevolence.

However, for the sake of argument, how would it affect Pioli's image if Goodell did investigate and rescind the trade?

the Talking Can
03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
i would love for the nfl to hate us...

SNR
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I watch ATH a lot. Mostly because Jay Mariotti, apart from Bill Plashke, is the biggest pompous airbag in all of sports journalism. I hope this guy gets a piano dropped on his head.

suds79
I've heard people say this and it's absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Does Marrioti actually believe that the Patriots willingly screwed themselves in order to satisfy an old friend? Last time I checked, the Patriots are interested in winning, not in making their friends happy.

Exactly. Goodell doesn't have to investigate the trade because people who give up talent for next to nothing in the NFL quickly find themselves out of work.

Having said that, eazyb81, it is pretty awesome. :D

Mr. Kotter

What a great feeling.

Yup. Exactly my thoughts.

No if he can manage a trade-down to get back that second rounder and more--along with a couple of key FA acquisitions, he's golden.

beavis
03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I love the inherent contradiction in this piece of shit. Belichick wants to win so bad that he will cheat to win, but yet he'll do his buddy a favor by taking a lesser draft pick? How ignorant.

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 11:03 AM
For perspective, consider that the Houston Texans sent two second-round picks to Atlanta two years ago after signing quarterback Matt Schaub, who didn't have nearly the experience or success enjoyed by Cassel in his breakout 2008 season.
All thanks to Bill Belichick, the new GM's bosom buddy.

I stopped reading here...

So, let me get this straight, The Texans made a bad deal. Does that meant The Chiefs can't make a GOOD deal? It's not like we got Tom Freaking Brady here. We got his understudy, who comes with a few question marks. He may very well BE Matt Schaub for all we know. In which case it's KC who got fleeced.

And Vrabel isi 34 years old and apparently has a shoulder injury that may require surgury. He may have been the throw in...FROM the chiefs.

cabletech94
03-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Eff Jay Mariotti in his Ear!

up yours east coast bias!!!!!!

BigChiefFan
03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
LMAO. What a bunch of sourgrapes from the writer.

Mecca
Eff Jay Mariotti in his Ear!

up yours east coast bias!!!!!!

He's pretty much railing on NE here so I'm not sure how that's east coast bias...

milkman
I stopped reading here...

So, let me get this straight, The Texans made a bad deal. Does that meant The Chiefs can't make a GOOD deal? It's not like we got Tom Freaking Brady here. We got his understudy, who comes with a few question marks. He may very well BE Matt Schaub for all we know. In which case it's KC who got fleeced.

And Vrabel isi 34 years old and apparently has a shoulder injury that may require surgury. He may have been the throw in...FROM the chiefs.

It's a valid question.

How is it that Shaub was worth so much more than Cassel?

blueballs
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
So the Pioli and the Pats
are idiots that don't know the rules
even though they have been tested before

DJ's left nut
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Jay Mariotti should catch some flesh eating bacteria that eats him from the asshole out.

He is unquestionably the biggest tool in the entire print media. Likely the biggest tool in the entire population.

cabletech94
03-01-2009, 11:09 AM
He's pretty much railing on NE here so I'm not sure how that's east coast bias...

Just spoutin' a bit, I guess. I can remember when sports shows actually showed both sides of the game as opposed to New York, New England, and only those teams sides' of the game.

-King-
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Mariotti is just mad that Chicago couldn't pull off such a good deal. They are still stuck with mediocre at best qbs. I used to feel his pain :D

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
It's a valid question.

I'm going to take a guess and say that the QB situation in Atlanta was anything but certain, whereas New England knows they're getting back an elite QB. Atlanta had a lot more leverage because they had major incentive to keep Schaub on the roster. I think NE tried to play it like they really needed Cassel because Brady was maybe not 100%, but I don't think any teams bought it--I imagine most teams knew that Cassel would hit the open market if NE couldn't work out a trade.

Bwana
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
ROFL

What a complete hack.

Dave Lane
03-01-2009, 11:12 AM
heh.

Even boys like the Assholes.

I guess that would do a lot to explain your appeal here :)

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm going to take a guess and say that the QB situation in Atlanta was anything but certain, whereas New England knows they're getting back an elite QB. Atlanta had a lot more leverage because they had major incentive to keep Schaub on the roster. I think NE tried to play it like they really needed Cassel because Brady was maybe not 100%, but I don't think any teams bought it--I imagine most teams knew that Cassel would hit the open market if NE couldn't work out a trade.

Vick, at the time of the trade, was still the franchise QBoTF, and the face of the franchise.

Braincase
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Let me get this straight - the GM who has a reputation for pulling off great trades is being criticized for pulling off a great trade? A year ago if KC had done this deal, we'd have been a laughing stock, but this year we're being accused of collusion? LOLZ.

petegz28
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Vick, at the time of the trade, was still the franchise QBoTF, and the face of the franchise.

That worked out real well......

banyon
03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
very satisfying. Makes me like the deal better.

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Irrelevant.

blueballs
03-01-2009, 11:18 AM
He doesn't ask the Broncos be investigated
for stupidity for wanting Cassell over Cutler
biased bastard

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
After talking with a few of you last night I think KC would have been better off with Cassel for a swap of firsts and a late round pick. This draft seems ho-hum at the top The best value seems to be in the middle of the first round. So KC could have topped the bucs first and third offer anyway and still come out ahead. JMO

Johnny Vegas
03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
It's a valid question.

It was the Texans. Schaub had only played 6 games the year before he was traded. Dree Bree's was the best FA QB that year, but had concerns about his shoulder. Atlanta got the best deal out of that trade. Maybe it takes a trade like that to rethink how you pursue and trade for a back up QB from another team.

Gravedigger
03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
It's our team and we'll trade how we want to! What wrong-doing could possibly have gone wrong in this? Is there an NFL rule saying you have to ask a certain amount for players? Randy Moss got picked up for a fourth round pick trade... I didnt hear an investigation there.

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 11:24 AM
It's our team and we'll trade how we want to! What wrong-doing could possibly have gone wrong in this? Is there an NFL rule saying you have to ask a certain amount for players? Randy Moss got picked up for a fourth round pick trade... I didnt hear an investigation there.

that

Bowser
03-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Mariotti can investigate that *points at Nick Athan's crotch*

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 11:25 AM
It's a valid question.

Schaub had been pimped for several seasons, however.

His value was more artificially inflated than the ****ing market.

doomy3
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
If it comes out and teams confirm that they offered a first for Cassel alone, or as reports say, a first and third, then Mariotti may be on to something. I mean, no matter how you cut that, something doesn't add up.

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Schaub had been pimped for several seasons, however.

Is value was more artificially inflated than the ****ing market.

I can buy this more than bmj's reasons.

But the fact is that there aren't any real viable FA QBs on the market, seemingly never ending questions about the draft's top QBs, and not another quality B/U available in sight.

It would seem to me that Cassel's value would be more inflated for those reasons.

BostonTim
03-01-2009, 11:30 AM
And so comes your first glimpse of the media hatred that follows all things Patriots...

Good luck to all with your new QB. Cassel is great, we'll miss him, and he gave us an exciting season. He's a quick learner, a smart guy, very athletic, and he will do you proud.
Hey whatchou doin' here? ROFL

cheers

-King-
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM

It did, I'd take Matt Ryan over Shaub any day of the week and 4 times on sunday.

blueballs
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM
goodbye #3
tampering
KC Chiefs SOP

JuicesFlowing
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM

What a great feeling.

Thread over. It's amusing that Mariotti cares though. It might get the Chiefs 4 seconds of notice on Around the Horn.

big nasty kcnut
03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Jay mariotti need some antifreeze and then die in a fire.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
goodbye #3
tampering
KC Chiefs SOP

Belichick set us up!!

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Jay mariotti need some antifreeze and then die in a fire.
Posted via Mobile Device

If he dies in a fire, then what's the point of antifreeze?

blueballs
03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
You know they wanted to investigate
getting Herm for a 4th
then dropped it -was that Jay too

big nasty kcnut
It's will not happen we will keep our number #3.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
Mariotti is just mad that Chicago couldn't pull off such a good deal. They are still stuck with mediocre at best qbs. I used to feel his pain :D

That douche has nothing to do with Chicago now - last year he threw a tantrum over not getting a story that was given to one of the other writers at the Sun Times and quit, thinking they'd kiss his ass and beg him to come back. Instead he got the "Well..... bye" from Curly Bill and a giant GET THE FUCK OUT from his coworkers and the people of Chicago who had long since grown sick of his whining. This is the first time I've seen him mentioned in months - I had assumed he was dead or living in a box somewhere. Too bad that's not the case.

But nobody up here gives two shits what the whiny little bitch thinks about anything.

BostonTim
Belichick set us up!!Nah!. We got hosed by the great Pioli. :D

Cheers, BostonTim

big nasty kcnut
03-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Milkman i want him to suffer twice as much.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I can buy this more than bmj's reasons.

But the fact is that there aren't any real viable FA QBs on the market, seemingly never ending questions about the draft's top QBs, and not another quality B/U available in sight.

It would seem to me that Cassel's value would be more inflated for those reasons.

I agree.

I'm having a real hard time believing the reports of what the Pats were supposedly offered.

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2009, 11:51 AM

I disagree. That was at a moment when many were starting to question Vick and many believed that Schaub got more out of his teammates than Vick did in limited time. There were many that started to believe that Vick's window for proving himself was closing fast.

I don't know that it's THE explanation. Just throwing it out there as a possible explanation. The gap between Vick/Schaub was MUCH lower than the gap between Brady/Cassel.

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I disagree. That was at a moment when many were starting to question Vick and many believed that Schaub got more out of his teammates than Vick did in limited time. There were many that started to believe that Vick's window for proving himself was closing fast.

I don't know that it's THE explanation. Just throwing it out there as a possible explanation. The gap between Vick/Schaub was MUCH lower than the gap between Brady/Cassel.

It doesn't matter how the media and fans, or, hell, the rest of the NFL saw Vick.

Arthur Blank still strongly believed in Vick.

wild1
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
there is a VERY SIMPLE explaination.

no team is going to give up picks for Cassel unless they at least are advanced in negotiations on an extension. for Cassel to want to sign an extension, he would have to want to be in that city. That says that Cassel had some degree of say-so on this trade.

Would you be surprised if Cassel made the baby-eating-peas face when faced with the idea of going to Detroit or some of those places?

Would you be surprised that Cassel was more willing to go to KC, to work with Pioli, Haley, Crennel, Vrabel et al?

Of course not. It makes perfect sense.

luv
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
While it's probably best for the player, they don't have to shop Cassel around before mking a trade, do they? What's to investigate?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I've heard people say this and it's absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Does Marrioti actually believe that the Patriots willingly screwed themselves in order to satisfy an old friend? Last time I checked, the Patriots are interested in winning, not in making their friends happy. More importantly, this isn't exactly the first time a trade was nixed despite having another offer on the table. Players are constantly told that they can't negotiate with a team within the division and, like in the Trent Green trade, players usually choose where they want to go.

This is why everyone thinks Mariotti is a hack. Because he's a complete moron and everybody in Chicago despises him.

This, this, a thousand times this.

bdeg
03-01-2009, 11:58 AM

What a great feeling.
Haha I love it!

Tits McGee
03-01-2009, 11:59 AM
NE made the trade to KC because KC dose not pose as an immediate threat to anyone, even with Cassel at the helm. End of story.

DaFace
03-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I wonder what exactly they would investigate. :shrug:

wild1
03-01-2009, 12:03 PM
While it's probably best for the player, they don't have to shop Cassel around before mking a trade, do they? What's to investigate?

more importantly, why can't the Patriots trade him to whomever they want for whatever they want, and why aren't they entitled to keep the reasons to themselves if they want to?

tboss27
03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Mariotti is an absolute moron. The two situations he brings up to evaluate where Cassel's market should have been were a trade for Schaub in which everyone agrees Houston overpaid for - and this one is even better - he brings up the Allen trade last year?? Is JA playing QB now, did I miss that somehow? Why the heck would you compare our trade for Cassel w/ trading away a DE? He has no freaking clue what he's talking about.

BradyFTW!
03-01-2009, 12:05 PM
It's a valid question.

Because he wasn't locked up to a long term deal, there was absolutely no way he was going to be the starter this year, and teams in general wised up and don't offer 2 first-day picks for not-entirely-proven players anymore? An argument could be made for any of those things; you can't just assume that all situations are identical.

TEX
03-01-2009, 12:05 PM

What a great feeling.

But I still don't see what there is to investigate? Any team can trade with any team - so what's the big deal?

TEX
03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Mariotti is an absolute moron. The two situations he brings up to evaluate where Cassel's market should have been were a trade for Schaub in which everyone agrees Houston overpaid for - and this one is even better - he brings up the Allen trade last year?? Is JA playing QB now, did I miss that somehow? Why the heck would you compare our trade for Cassel w/ trading away a DE? He has no freaking clue what he's talking about.

I think regarding Allen, he was pointing out that the Chiefs got way more for a starting DE than they had to trade away for a starting QB. But I still don't see how that matters regardless.

TEX
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
more importantly, why can't the Patriots trade him to whomever they want for whatever they want, and why aren't they entitled to keep the reasons to themselves if they want to?

This.

warrior
03-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Good post---Welcome

Mile High Mania
03-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm all for teams screwing other teams when it comes to trades... and if foul play exists, you have to look into it. That being said, I don't see anything here. Sure, I expected NE to get much more for Cassel via trade, but I really doubt BB would gift the Chiefs in this scenario just because of Pioli. Hell, why would they gift another AFC team? If anything, I'd expect the opposite to happen.

bkkcoh
03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Jay Mariotti is a :deevee:

Simplex3
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
If it comes out and teams confirm that they offered a first for Cassel alone, or as reports say, a first and third, then Mariotti may be on to something. I mean, no matter how you cut that, something doesn't add up.

Unless those teams weren't also willing to take on Vrabel's cap number.

KC_Connection
03-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Mariotti is a fucking idiot. Does he even write for a legit paper anymore?

BradyFTW!
03-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Unless those teams weren't also willing to take on Vrabel's cap number.

In that case the Pats could have just cut Vrabel, with the same cap impact.

Simplex3
03-01-2009, 12:35 PM
By trading him to the Chiefs I think the Pats take no cap hit don't they?

soundmind
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Marriotti = Around-The-Horn Staple = Bag of Hot Air

If anything, he's pissed his team STILL doesn't have a QB solution. Chicago has an absolute refusal to address this position, and it kills him.

Not to mention, anything between KC and NE (really anything involving Belichick and any team) will be scrutinized to the Nth degree - especially by people whose job it is to "create" stories.

F**k Mariotti, he can go cry in a plate of Cubs history.

BradyFTW!
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
By trading him to the Chiefs I think the Pats take no cap hit don't they?

Vrabel counts $1,036,000 against the Pats' 2009 cap. For salary cap purposes, trading is the same as cutting.

Pioli Zombie
03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
What an effen non story this is. Investigate WHAT?????

Even in the article he says how Belichick can point to 20 million in cap savings and a pick that gives them 4 picks in the first two rounds. Yeah poor Patriots

Hate the media
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefshrink
03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I watch ATH a lot. Mostly because Jay Mariotti, apart from Bill Plashke, is the biggest pompous airbag in all of sports journalism. I hope this guy gets a piano dropped on his head.

Amen to this!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Mariotti used to write here in Denver and was a total 'blow hard':rolleyes::rolleyes:

Goldmember
03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
i would love for the nfl to hate us...

Hopefully not like they hate the Raiders, because then the Chiefs would REALLY suck balls

Bob Dole
03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Bob Dole was expecting to hear this...

Chiefshrink
03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
What an effen non story this is. Investigate WHAT?????

Even in the article he says how Belichick can point to 20 million in cap savings and a pick that gives them 4 picks in the first two rounds. Yeah poor Patriots

Hate the media
Posted via Mobile Device

Precisely!!!:thumb: Anybody who thought Bill would hold on to 2 players that literally took up 25-30% of their cap is very naive!

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Hopefully not like they hate the Raiders, because then the Chiefs would REALLY suck balls
The Raiders don't suck balls because anyone hates them, they suck balls because their owner is a nutcase.

FringeNC
The reason the compensation was so low is pretty simple, really. You have to still sign Cassel to essentially what would be a free agent contract. The contract we sign Cassel to is going to make him one of the highest-paid players in the league. Had Cassel had 3 more years left on a cheap rookie contract, he'd have fetched a ton more.

stlchiefs
Tell Jay to get a job.

googlegoogle
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
lol = Jay Marriot-i is pissed. Wonder if he's a PAT fan? haha.

BradyFTW!
03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
lol = Jay Marriot-i is pissed. Wonder if he's a PAT fan? haha.

Hahaha, Marrioti HATES the Pats. The blind, irrational anger is showing through in this article.

RINGLEADER
03-01-2009, 01:05 PM

He's just bitter because he's a Bears wonk and would have given up the entire Chicago draft for something other than Rex Grossman behind center.

Goldmember
03-01-2009, 01:16 PM
The Raiders don't suck balls because anyone hates them, they suck balls because their owner is a nutcase.

My response to the Talking Can was meant sarcastically as he was implying, if I assumed correctly, that he would love the NFL to hate the Chiefs because that would mean they are a great team.

I said I hope the NFL doesn't hate the Chiefs like they hate the Raiders, because that would mean that they would suck like the Raiders....

Stewie
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Mariotti is the poster boy for everything wrong with ESPN. He's a blowhard asswipe. He must be on a weekend bender to dream this crap up.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Thank you very much. It's been a long time since you guys have needed it as bad as we do now. Good luck to you next year. Afterwards, we're coming. :evil:

brandon
03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I really hope this is part of a BB/Pioli alliance that includes behind-the-scenes manipulations of division rivals. Obviously if NE was the source of the leak this could be possible.

bowener
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I dont think it looks very suspicious. I doubt the lions were willing to part with any of their first rounders, and they were trying to tie it in with Cutler, only prolonging and muddying the process, same for the Bucs. The Chiefs probably offered a 2nd for Cassell, but wanted a lower pick in return, so instead, the Pats offered Vrabel, which is probably the equivalent of a 5th rounder.

The whole point of taking "less" for Cassell in this case (and Vrabel) was seen as a way to dump $20 million in cap room obligations immediately. Now the Pats are free to go out and sign whomever they want, as well as resign some of their guys worry free.

In the end, both teams go what they wanted, we got a QB and a D-leader, and the Pats got to unload a shit ton of money that was going to be wasted.

Spicy McHaggis
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM
He's just bitter because he's a Bears wonk and would have given up the entire Chicago draft for something other than Rex Grossman behind center.

This.

There are a few sports journalists that I have respect for. Jay Mariotti is not one of them.

ClevelandBronco
03-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Frankly, I think that Mariotti is reaching.

Cassel is Thigpen and Vrabel is near the end.

There's nothing shady about this deal.

brandon
03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
If Cassel=Thigpen and Mcdaniels thinks Cassel>Cutler.. then what Cutler < Thigpen?

ClevelandBronco
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
If Cassel=Thigpen and Mcdaniels thinks Cassel>Cutler.. then what Cutler < Thigpen?

Cutler's nothing special.

It's not as if the Broncos found the next John Elway.

T-post Tom
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Jay drinks from the dick sock.

FAX
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Is there anything in the NFL rulebook that precludes a team making a bad deal?

If so, we're due a refund.

FAX

CaliforniaChief
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Where's Ozzie Guillen when you need him to shut Mariotti up? What a whiny piece of crap.

chiefscafan
03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
This doesn't surprise me I love pti but when he is guesting I can't watch. He is such an arrogant blow hard. I never thought I'd say this but I starting to like screth from espn. Everyone says we are horrible he says I disagree the chiefs aren't bad they are just young with some added veterans they could be dangerous.

rtmike
03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
My two pennies worth.

It was obvious what Vrabel meant to the Pats per Bruschi & Belicheck. BB didn't want to release a team/fan favorite. Let's face it, 4 million is overpriced for him.
So including Vrabel in the deal is almost detrimental to the overall package. I think w/o Vrabel we would have given up more?
So now BB saves face by not releasing Vrabel.

munkey
03-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Is there anything in the NFL rulebook that precludes a team making a bad deal?

If so, we're due a refund.

FAX

This

Hoover
03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
that 2nd rounder is almost a 1st, so while I think we got a steal, it isn't that bad. Plus we now have to pay the kid a billion dollars.

BucEyedPea
03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Cheatriots and the Kansas City Cheats.

Count Zarth
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Beyond that, the Chiefs also keep the No. 3 pick, which they might use on a Cassel-protecting offensive lineman or a compelling talent such as linebacker Aaron Curry.

Mariotti is a true fan?

Guru
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Is this for real? I mean, damn. Two teams make a completely legitimate trade and it results in this? Last I checked, a team does NOT have to take the best offer on the table if they don't want to.

BostonTim
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Is this for real? I mean, damn. Two teams make a completely legitimate trade and it results in this? Last I checked, a team does NOT have to take the best offer on the table if they don't want to.

Course it's for real! Lay down with dogs... :evil:

Cheers, BostonTim

T-post Tom
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
http://firejaymariotti.blogspot.com/

Valiant
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I swear some of the writers have accounts on here..

Sam Hall
03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Jay Mariotti is an embarrassment to sports writers.

Mr. Krab
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
He ranted and rave for several paragraphs but i never did see him actually talk about what rule the two teams supposedly broke.

The "didn't ask for enough compensation" rule?

I don't believe there is any such rule and that Mariotti needs to just shut up.

BigRedChief
03-01-2009, 04:35 PM

What a great feeling.
The first of many great deals? :clap:

Danman
03-01-2009, 04:46 PM

That turns into a big he said/she said argument. How do you prove it? Best for the commish to not even get involved. If he's pushed, which I sincerely doubt, then he can say I don't see anything other than two teams that each negotiated what they both felt was fair market value.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Cheatriots and the Kansas City Cheats.Hey, if it works for us like it worked for you... I'm all in.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
That turns into a big he said/she said argument. How do you prove it? Best for the commish to not even get involved. If he's pushed, which I sincerely doubt, then he can say I don't see anything other than two teams that each negotiated what they both felt was fair market value.Why does it matter?

Is there a rule that a team has to take the highest value offered?

FAX
03-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Why does it matter?

Paragraph 4: Section 8a: Under no circumstances shall any team trade any player or any combination of players to any other team regardless of proposed compensation unless or until said trade is approved in advance and in writing by media hacks whose favorite teams may include the rival of the team receiving the player(s) involved in said trade.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Vrabel counts $1,036,000 against the Pats' 2009 cap. For salary cap purposes, trading is the same as cutting.

Which is the very reason that Larry Johnson will be in KC this year like it or not. Even if there was some kind of market for him, it doesn't benefit KC to let him go. The difference is like 400k.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Kansas City Cheats.
Ooh, I like the sound of that.

Skip Towne
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Why does it matter?

No, but if they see funny business going on they want to find out the whys and wherefores.

BWillie
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
http://www.taluskie.com/officerBarbrady.gif

Count Zarth
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Seriously, awhile ago Darth CarlSatan and I were talking about all the little fun things that happen on the way to a championship.

Casselgate is one such thing. It's our first such thing...

This will be a day long remembered!

FAX
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Denver Goats' coach wants our quarterback?

Maybe Pioli has another card up his sleeve and the final chapter has yet to be written.

FAX

Short Leash Hootie
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM

I guess Mariotti has been reading my posts.

rtmike
03-01-2009, 06:12 PM

Maybe Pioli has another card up his sleeve and the final chapter has yet to be written.

FAX

Well SP traded for Cassel w/o a deal being worked out first and he's not signed yet. Makes a person wonder.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 06:15 PM

FAXI think it's done.

The old Pats GM, and the old Pats OC both wanted Cassell badly. To me, that's good news.

Our guy won. That's better news.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM

I guess Mariotti has been reading my posts.Goddamanit Hootie...

Stop trying to look like a genious and enjoy it.

veist
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I like how he ignores that the Chiefs were willing to make the deal right away and reportedly without the condition of Cassel signing a new contract. Want to bet that made it a lot more appealing than waiting for a trade that might not ever appear? Its a pretty appealing trade for BB/Pats because it means that money is off the books _now_.

FAX
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I think it's done.

The old Pats GM, and the old Pats OC both wanted Cassell badly. To me, that's good news.

Our guy won. That's better news.

Sure, it looks done, Mr. KcMizzou. Then again, maybe Pioli gives his old OC a call and trades Cassel to the goats for Cutler and their #1 pick. Then, he trades Cutler to the Bucs for their #1 and #3. Then he trades the Bucs' #3 and Waters to the Bills for their #1 pick. That would leave us with ... hold on a second ... 4 plus 6 equals 10 minus 2 is 8 carry the 5 ... 14 thousand #1 picks that we can use to acquire everybody in the draft that's worth a darn.

FAX

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Sure, it looks done, Mr. KcMizzou. Then again, maybe Pioli gives his old OC a call and trades Cassel to the goats for Cutler and their #1 pick. Then, he trades Cutler to the Bucs for their #1 and #3. Then he trades the Bucs' #3 and Waters to the Bills for their #1 pick. That would leave us with ... hold on a second ... 4 plus 6 equals 10 minus 2 is 8 carry the 5 ... 14 thousand #1 picks that we can use to acquire everybody in the draft that's worth a darn.

FAX

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/75318/brilliant_medium.jpg

BigRichard
09-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Can we still get this investigated? I think the Pats should have to take him back and we get whoever they drafted at our spot. Who might that be? I don't care really.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-12-2011, 02:06 PM
now we know why we got that "sweetheart" deal

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2011, 02:08 PM
We sure could use Patrick Chung right now.

lcarus
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Everybody wang chung tonight?

Fried Meat Ball!
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM

I'd take Connie Chung at QB right about now.

Reerun_KC
09-12-2011, 02:15 PM

Just as long as its not Cassel, right?

Count Zarth
09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Seriously, awhile ago Darth CarlSatan and I were talking about all the little fun things that happen on the way to a championship.

Casselgate is one such thing. It's our first such thing...

This will be a day long remembered!

:facepalm:

lcarus
09-12-2011, 02:20 PM

YOur wish is my command today. **** it.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/Soda_Popinski/chungtonight.jpg

lcarus
09-12-2011, 02:22 PM
What prompted this thread to be brought up? Besides the obvious hilarity.

BigRichard
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
What prompted this thread to be brought up? Besides the obvious hilarity.

I don't know what was said but something reminded me of it. Took me 20 minutes of searching to find the damn thing though.

Just something to make us all smile. :D

chiefscafan
09-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Right now I have to agree pats can have cassel back

Kyle DeLexus
09-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't know what was said but something reminded me of it. Took me 20 minutes of searching to find the damn thing though.

Just something to make us all smile. :D

I smiled because I thought we traded him....then I came back to reality.

Frazod
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I think I saw Jay Mariotti last week begging for change at the bottom of an off ramp.

lcarus
09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I think I saw Jay Mariotti last week begging for change at the bottom of an off ramp.

You did

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/Soda_Popinski/mariotti.jpg

King_Chief_Fan
09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
guilty as charged.......The Chiefs need to repay the Pats.....give them Cassel and give them a first rounder..............there is no price to high to get rid of Cassel.

Amnorix
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Oh hell no. He's the only non-suck safety the Patriots have. We cut everyone else and it's Chung and some banjo players at the moment....

Three7s
09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh hell no. He's the only non-suck safety the Patriots have. We cut everyone else and it's Chung and some banjo players at the moment....
Can't be worse than our situation at safety.