PDA

View Full Version : KU How Deep will KU Dance?

Archie F. Swin
03-01-2009, 05:49 PM
poll forthcoming

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
sweet sixteen with potential for elite 8.

Thig Lyfe
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
TO DA SHIP!!!

Que Card QB
Insert "deep dancing"...

BigVE
A little early but I said sweet 16.

Archie F. Swin
sweet 16...unless they get incredible consistency from Reed, Morningstar and Little

Silock
03-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Sweet 16.

Bowser
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
God bless the "Ignore This Thread" option.

doomy3
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Damn it. Don't jinx this.

luv
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
God bless the "Ignore This Thread" option.

Heh. You don't like to watch KU fans stroke each other's egos?

Silock
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Only an MU fan would think that going to the sweet sixteen is an ego stroking :)

For real KU fans, that kinda blows.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Damn it. Don't jinx this.KU will repeat... obviously.

Mizzou will be lucky to lose their first round game by less than 20.

Mr. Krab
03-01-2009, 06:08 PM
It's completely unknown at this point since they tend to fall asleep so often.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I said 16 although the rock and chalk in me wants to think they can go farther.

KCFalcon59
03-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I think they will make the sweet 16. If they are lucky the Elite 8.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I said 16 although the rock and chalk in me wants to think they can go farther.Hell, I think Mizzou can hit the Sweet 16. Seriously.

luv
03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I said 16 although the rock and chalk in me wants to think they can go farther.

When did your name change?

HolyHandgernade
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Its too early to tell. When you have a great point and great low post, you have a chance to go very deep. Collins hasn't scored above 26 on a game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 30 pnt game or two in the tournament, he is so focused right now. His draft stock is connected to the tournament, and with a family already depending on him, I could see him going nuts to finish out this year.

That said, it all depends on the draw. If we get Duke as a draw in the second weekend, I like our matchup, but I don't like Pitt, or even Louisville for that matter. Its such a crapshoot depending on seeding and draws.

-HH

Anyong Bluth
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
All about the seedings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
If they make the Sweet 16, it can be considered a very good "rebuilding" year.

Depends entirely on the brackets though.

HypnotizedMonkey
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
all the way!!! .. with some luck.. great time to be playing so well!

tboss27
03-01-2009, 06:25 PM
16 seems to be the consensus, I would vote the same. THough if T Taylor gets hot and drops 20+ like he did the other night I think they can play w/ anybody in the country. Collins/Aldrich can't be stopped right now. Can't believe we have a legitimate chance at only 1 loss in Big 12 play.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I think KU fans are under-selling their team a bit.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see KU in the Elite 8.

(Hopefully followed by an exit to the NBA by Aldrich)

SNR
03-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I said 8, but that's being fairly optimistic

HC_Chief
03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Key will be the seed.

If they somehow miraculously win out & get a #1 seed, they may be FF material. A 2 or worse could land them in a nasty pod.

KU -v- Duke, UNC, Memphis, or UConn could be ugly.

KC_Connection
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I'd be incredibly disappointed if they didn't atleast reach the Sweet 16. They have potential for more than that.

Der Flöprer
03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
2nd round was my vote.

sedated
03-01-2009, 06:45 PM
if they get to play in the sprint center, sweet 16 is all but guaranteed (despite their performance there this past year, which was still a decent line in hindsight - big win over top-20 Washington, OT loss to Syracuse, and late 1 point loss to UMass).

they have a great point guard and dominating center (both with championship experience), a couple guys who can shoot the 3, and a couple young guys that can crash the boards. Elite 8 written all over them.

Silock
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM

OMGHOMER! ;)

CrazyPhuD
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
This is still a young team which means they could flame out at any time....but it also means they could win it all if they get it all together too. Me personally I'm saying early exit, Round 2, youth trumps...this year.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Winning a Championship last year and the Big 12 this year when were suppossed to be middle of the pack makes us all bastards.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Only an MU fan would think that going to the sweet sixteen is an ego stroking :)

This. We aren't allowed to be proud of our team on a yearly basis. To hell with all of us.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
When did your name change?

Today

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Hell, I think Mizzou can hit the Sweet 16. Seriously.

Certainly could. A #8 ranking would suggest possibly better even.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Aldrich is a stud.

You put him on Mizzou's team... and... damn...

Not many teams have that sort of inside presence.

I'll flat out say it, I'm jealous.

Kid's crazy if he doesn't go to the NBA. He's a lottery pick.

KC_Connection
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Aldrich is a stud.

You put him on Mizzou's team... and... damn...

Not many teams have that sort of inside presence.

I'll flat out say it, I'm jealous.

If KU goes far this year, I think he'll go.

KC_Connection
03-01-2009, 07:23 PM
It's been assumed in most mock drafts that Aldrich will wait until 2010, but if he goes in 2009, he'll be a top 10 pick probably. It's a relatively weak draft.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2009, 07:23 PM

Hush dammit.

luv
03-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Today

You're lucky I recognized you.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
You're lucky I recognized you.

I feel lucky.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
It's been assumed in most mock drafts that Aldrich will wait until 2010, but if he goes in 2009, he'll be a top 10 pick probably. It's a relatively weak draft.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

KU fans can hope he will stay. Next years team will be damn good with or without him though. More so if Stephenson decides to commit.

luv
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I feel lucky.

You should.

KC_Connection
03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
KU fans can hope he will stay. Next years team will be damn good with or without him though. More so if Stephenson decides to commit.

They would be NC contenders with him. Not so much without him, unless their freshman (and that Withey guy) are better than expected.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 07:41 PM
They would be NC contenders with him. Not so much without him, unless their freshman (and that Withey guy) are better than expected.
From what I hear Robinson is a rebounding machine, also Johnson will be the most athletic player on the team. Plus all of our big men excluding the frosh will have an off season in the weight room and with D. Manning which will help a lot.

Craqhead
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Elite 8. Depending upon seeding.

Gawd I hope Aldrich doesn't go too the NBA. With him and Collins back next year a trip too the Final Four and perhaps that 6th National Championship is within our grasp.

rrl308
03-01-2009, 07:59 PM
sweet sixteen with potential for elite 8.

This

tboss27
03-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Key will be the seed.

If they somehow miraculously win out & get a #1 seed, they may be FF material. A 2 or worse could land them in a nasty pod.

Aldrich might score 100 if we had the good fortune to face Duke in the tourney. No way they have anybody who could stop him from dominating.

HC_Chief
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Aldrich might score 100 if we had the good fortune to face Duke in the tourney. No way they have anybody who could stop him from dominating.

He'd foul out. Duke players would start flopping whenever he got remotely close to their position.

Archie F. Swin
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I dont think Aldrich is NBA material......yet.

But I hope that the spark he showed in the tourney last year becomes a wildfire this year. Total pwnage!

ROYC75
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I have said all a long that Sweet 16 , even being young and green. But this team seems to be learning and peaking at the right time. Elite 8 is a real possibility,some luck in the draw and other games would have to happen for a Final Four run. Youth would kill us, turnovers would be our downfall for a FF run.

Next year, if Collins and Aldrich returns ? Sweet !

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Key will be the seed.

Maybe... the first #2 gets the last #1 (see UCLA staying in California in the years they were the first #2).

I agree for the most part though... I voted SS, because by that time there's a good chance that they'll run into one of a number of good Big East or ACC teams.

I'm not going to be disappointed from here on out... okay, if they lose by 30 in the first round of the Big 12 tourney and by 30 in the first round of the NCAA, I'll be disappointed. Otherwise, I was expecting an 8 or 9 seed at the beginning of the year and 3rd/4th in the conference. Sh*t's going to happen, and no one can deny the big risk in being a young team that has a tendency to fall asleep.

It was a simple question, Missouri fans could make their own poll, and it would probably turn out about the same.... centered around the SS, with (what I'm thinking are) some sarcastic FF/Championship votes.

Heh... this is the PERFECT thread to bump if the Jayhawks lose in the first weekend, especially if they're a 3 seed or higher. Jayhawk fans have been cautiously optimistic all season, and a lot of us are in denial at the moment.

Yet, if the Jayhawks lose in the first weekend, it'll be "Hahaha, stupid arrogant asshole Jayhawk fans thought they were going to the FF, this should knock them down a few pegs, blah blah blah".

Well, not by you, because you're cool... but it'll happen. ;)

Sam Hall
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM
I see a loss in the Sweet 16 to a lower seed, which some would consider an upset, but KU is still a young team. They better not be overconfident during the first two rounds.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Heh... this is the PERFECT thread to bump if the Jayhawks lose in the first weekend, especially if they're a 3 seed or higher. Jayhawk fans have been cautiously optimistic all season, and a lot of us are in denial at the moment.

Yet, if the Jayhawks lose in the first weekend, it'll be "Hahaha, stupid arrogant asshole Jayhawk fans thought they were going to the FF, this should knock them down a few pegs, blah blah blah".

Well, not by you, because you're cool... but it'll happen. ;)But, as far as I know, I was the only one who said that.

So really, it could (and should) only be used against me. :shrug:

If you lose in the first round, and I start talking trash.... bring it on, Id deserve it. :D

That shouldn't be held against anyone else. I said it, not them.

Extra Point
03-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Elite Eight, at least.

beavis
03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
One and done.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 09:15 PM
LMAOOne and done.:LOL:

Ceej
03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
HC_Chief - why do you think we would not match up well with Duke? Our post players would have a field day.

Duke lives and dies too much by the three. We defend really well.

I guess I'm unlike you - I'm pretty sure we could beat Duke, unless they went completely batshit crazy from 3.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
But, as far as I know, I was the only one who said that.

So really, it could (and should) only be used against me. :shrug:

If you lose in the first round, and I start talking trash.... bring it on, Id deserve it. :D

That shouldn't be held against anyone else. I said it, not them.

Maybe I shouldn't have directly quote you, but I just took to the 'under-selling' part. My point is that if the Jayhawks lose in the first weekend or the SS, any comments about arrogant asshole KU fans talking B2B or about needing to be knocked down a few pegs (and there will be comments ;) ) will be 100% wrong based on the poll results.

I wish it was a public poll, because I seriously doubt any of the Championship game votes are serious, and I doubt the FF ones are, either. That leaves 72% (not including the Championship votes) saying they'll lose in the SS or earlier.

Eh.... if Kansas makes it past the SS, then and only then is when I'll give the old ego a few coats of polish. :D

Archie F. Swin
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
best rebuilding year in Kansas history!!

proof positive that the most important member of the team is Bill Self - Coach of the Century!

Skip Towne
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
best rebuilding year in Kansas history!!

proof positive that the most important member of the team is Bill Self - Coach of the Century!

Definitely. I've been following him since he was at ORU. The dude is a magician. Top notch recruiter

Reerun_KC
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I see 10 MU fans voted... ROFL

Silock
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Definitely. I've been following him since he was at ORU. The dude is a magician. Top notch recruiter

I think he's proving he's more than just recruiting this year. This year he's a fucking COACH. We have a dearth of talent as compared to last year.

And we've missed out on quite a few of the higher-rated recruits lately.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have directly quote you, but I just took to the 'under-selling' part. My point is that if the Jayhawks lose in the first weekend or the SS, any comments about arrogant asshole KU fans talking B2B or about needing to be knocked down a few pegs (and there will be comments ;) ) will be 100% wrong based on the poll results.

I wish it was a public poll, because I seriously doubt any of the Championship game votes are serious, and I doubt the FF ones are, either. That leaves 72% (not including the Championship votes) saying they'll lose in the SS or earlier.

Eh.... if Kansas makes it past the SS, then and only then is when I'll give the old ego a few coats of polish. :DAt this point, I wanna se Mizzou in the SS.

I think it's very realistic.

Pablo
03-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm gonna be a homer and say Elite 8, but that depends on the play of Morningstar/Little/Taylor/Morris twins...

Collins and Aldrich have the skill and desire to will us through the first two rounds if need be..but past that, we're gonna need stellar play from at least a couple of those guys each game.

This season has already been a smash..I mean, I was realistically expecting to finish 3rd or 4th in conference and hoping for a Sweet 16 game when I watched this team earlier in the year..but I really love the way they're coming together late in the season. It's great...and if we play even remotely close to how we did today, we have a shot against any team in the nation.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
At this point, I wanna se Mizzou in the SS.

I think it's very realistic.

All depends on seeding... Kansas could get a 2 seed and run into this year's Davidson in the second round. Missouri's a 3 in this week's Bracketology, but if they end up a 4, they'll potentially be playing a 5 seed in the second round, which becomes a toss up.

I'd love to see a run from Kansas like 2004... after consecutive FFs, they were a 4 seed, so no one really expected them to do much past the first weekend. Part of the run may have been luck, because they ended up facing #12 Pacific instead of the #5, and #9 UAB instead of #1 Kentucky.... but Pacific was supposed to be dangerous and UAB had Anderson's 40 minutes of Hell, so we still weren't expecting much, but they ended up losing to Jarret Jack and GTech (who lost to UConn in the NC game) in OT in the EE. While it's good to be able to have high expectation, not having the stress of them makes for a fun ride...

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm gonna be a homer and say Elite 8, but that depends on the play of Morningstar/Little/Taylor/Morris twins...

Collins and Aldrich have the skill and desire to will us through the first two rounds if need be..but past that, we're gonna need stellar play from at least a couple of those guys each game.

This season has already been a smash..I mean, I was realistically expecting to finish 3rd or 4th in conference and hoping for a Sweet 16 game when I watched this team earlier in the year..but I really love the way they're coming together late in the season. It's great...and if we play even remotely close to how we did today, we have a shot against any team in the nation.Fuckin' KU's doing what they always do.

You'll draw a top seed, crush a couple mid-majors, and find yourselves a game away from the Final Four. It's fucking irritating.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 11:49 PM
****in' KU's doing what they always do.

You'll draw a top seed, crush a couple mid-majors, and find yourselves a game away from the Final Four. It's ****ing irritating.

I think Bill Self is the best coach in the nation.

Gets recruits, can X and O, and gets effort from his players.

Honestly, it's fucked up, but KU traded up when Roy left.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 11:50 PM
****in' KU's doing what they always do.

You'll draw a top seed, crush a couple mid-majors, and find yourselves a game away from the Final Four. It's ****ing irritating.

Unless we run into Boston College or Butler or Binghampton or Buffalo or BYU or Belmont....

Harharhahar, see what I did there?

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Unless we run into Boston College or Butler or Binghampton or Buffalo or BYU or Belmont....

Harharhahar, see what I did there?

But because Bill baits bitch bass bid bajors, bit bon't be ba broblem.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I think Bill Self is the best coach in the nation.

Gets recruits, can X and O, and gets effort from his players.

Honestly, it's ****ed up, but KU traded up when Roy left.

When they hired Self, I was like 8yo again, and wanted a time machine to see how it would all work out... are you f***ing kidding me, the Big 11 comes to AFH to replace the high scoring/highly entertaining Roy Williams teams? You're telling me that I'm going to not only have to learn "the other side" of college basketball, but that I'm going to have to like it? WTF does defense have to do with basketball? :cuss:

I love you, Bill. :D

Pablo
03-01-2009, 11:55 PM

Harharhahar, see what I did there?Fo real.

Next time MU comes to the Phog, they should just paint a B over their M.

Bizzou would probably crush the shit outta us.

Pablo
03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
When they hired Self, I was like 8yo again, and wanted a time machine to see how it would all work out... are you f***ing kidding me, the Big 11 comes to AFH to replace the high scoring/highly entertaining Roy Williams teams? You're telling me that I'm going to not only have to learn "the other side" of college basketball, but that I'm going to have to like it? WTF does defense have to do with basketball? :cuss:

I love you, Bill. :DIt was even sweeter when Bill beat Roy at his own game last year...

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 11:56 PM

I love you, Bill. :DOh, for ****'s sake...

Puke... I'm not even gonna use a smilie for that. :shake:

:D

Pablo
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm really curious about this new Chamionship Game system.

It would be great to be Chamions.

Pablo
03-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Oh, for ****'s sake...

:DWe love our coach...and he loves us back..he didn't even abandon us for T. Boone Pickens U.

Great guy, that Bill Self.

Buehler445
03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
All depends on seeding... Kansas could get a 2 seed and run into this year's Davidson in the second round. Missouri's a 3 in this week's Bracketology, but if they end up a 4, they'll potentially be playing a 5 seed in the second round, which becomes a toss up.

I'd love to see a run from Kansas like 2004... after consecutive FFs, they were a 4 seed, so no one really expected them to do much past the first weekend. Part of the run may have been luck, because they ended up facing #12 Pacific instead of the #5, and #9 UAB instead of #1 Kentucky.... but Pacific was supposed to be dangerous and UAB had Anderson's 40 minutes of Hell, so we still weren't expecting much, but they ended up losing to Jarret Jack and GTech (who lost to UConn in the NC game) in OT in the EE. While it's good to be able to have high expectation, not having the stress of them makes for a fun ride...

This pretty much covers it.

I am amazed at what this team was able to do. In the beginning, I was OK with the mistakes. But this team has flat come to PLAY. I get pissed at the Morrises, but honestly, their progression isn't too bad. It's just that the rest of the team is playing ENTIRELY different ball from the beginning of the year, and it looks like Marcus and Markieff have fallen off the face of the planet.

Bearcat
03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
It was even sweeter when Bill beat Roy at his own game last year...

Yeah, the thing with UNC and Illinois playing each other in the NC tasted kind of bitter, but at the time I knew Self had the biggest project of the 3, so it's not like anyone should have expected it to be an overnight thing.

Last year was perfect, especially with the "Kansas barely beat Davidson, so they can't play with UNC" crap and the Hansbrough hype. The NC wouldn't have been the same without ole Roy with his Jayhawk sticker a few days after losing to Kansas. LMAO

Oh, for ****'s sake...

:D

LMAOROFLLMAOROFL

It's true though!!! Like I said earlier, I grew up watching Roy's style of BB, and I've always hated the Big 10, so Roy leaving was a punch to the stomach and Self's hire was a kick in the balls. Sure, it was funny if you were watching it on tv, but that stuff was painful in person.

That said, I warmed up to it before a lot of people did... during the 'B' years, I could tell he was making adjustments to playing in the Big 12, and I was starting to appreciate the other side.

Bearcat
03-02-2009, 12:15 AM
This pretty much covers it.

I am amazed at what this team was able to do. In the beginning, I was OK with the mistakes. But this team has flat come to PLAY. I get pissed at the Morrises, but honestly, their progression isn't too bad. It's just that the rest of the team is playing ENTIRELY different ball from the beginning of the year, and it looks like Marcus and Markieff have fallen off the face of the planet.

Yeah, it's been Collins, Aldrich, and Taylor providing the bulk of the points lately... hopefully are big 2 stick around next year.

If today's game is the start of 40 minutes of ball every night, it could get scary for every other team in Kansas' region (well, not "Kansas' region", but you know...). Who knows, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they got a decent lead against TTech and fell asleep, but just sayin'... it's the one thing keeping me from really thinking about the SS and beyond.

KC_Connection
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Maybe... the first #2 gets the last #1 (see UCLA staying in California in the years they were the first #2).

I agree for the most part though... I voted SS, because by that time there's a good chance that they'll run into one of a number of good Big East or ACC teams.

Weren't you one of the people that kept telling me the Big East was overrated?

KC_Connection
03-02-2009, 01:30 AM
They aren't overrated, btw. They have 5 teams in that conference that could possibly beat Kansas.

Jayhawkerman2001
03-02-2009, 02:32 AM

exactly. i see people voted for the sweet 16 and i get appalled... the caliber of KU's basketball program is and always has been about going deeper than the sweet 16. any season, i dont care our record, we must go deep

Jayhawkerman2001
03-02-2009, 02:33 AM
If they make the Sweet 16, it can be considered a very good "rebuilding" year.

Depends entirely on the brackets though.

no, with the talent we have, if we fail to make it past the 16 then id say we massively underachieved.