PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Not Crennel but new addition to KC staff

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Offensive quality control coach and maybe QB assistant

The story below is kind of interesting because it talks about the new offensive quality control coach's relationship with Haley.

I'm going out and gettin' me a Mount Union T-Shirt so I can get a job in the NFL.

Kansas City Chiefs Hire Sirianni As Coach

Fran and Amy Sirianni of Howard Avenue in West Ellicott have been loyal fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers for years.

But that allegiance to the Super Bowl champions will now be put to the test, because their youngest son is now a Kansas City Chief.

Nick Sirianni has landed a job as the offensive quality control coach with the National Football League team. Sirianni, 27, interviewed with new Chiefs' head coach Todd Haley last Saturday at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, was hired on Monday, is preparing to move to Missouri this weekend and will start his new job next week.

''I don't know if I can count it as a job,'' Sirianni said by cell phone Thursday afternoon. ''It's an unbelievable opportunity to reach your dream.''

In his new position, the 1999 Southwestern Central School graduate will be responsible for breaking down the opponent's defensive game film, usually weeks in advance of the scheduled contest. The film breakdown is something Sirianni did regularly as an assistant coach at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for the last three years.

''It's a lot of stuff I do (at IUP),'' Sirianni said. ''It's breaking down opponent's film, and then just a lot of stuff from there, like helping to write up playbooks and tip sheets for our guys. The main thing is breaking down the film and really learning how to coach in the NFL, which is exciting.''

Sirianni said he could be in line for either an assistant quarterbacks or assistant wide receiver coaching positions with the Chiefs as well, which would only further enhance his rapid rise up the coaching ranks.

''I'm lucky, I'm blessed,'' he said. ''To be this young and get this job, it's a blessing just to get my foot in the door at this age.''

Before arriving at IUP in 2006, Sirianni won two NCAA Division III championships as a player and one as an assistant coach at powerful Mount Union (Ohio) College. As a senior, in 2003, he caught 52 passes for 998 yards and 13 touchdowns on his way to all-conference honors

Ironically, it was Sirianni's ties to Mount Union and a little bit of good fortune that ultimately helped him get the job in Kansas City.

Home on break during his sophomore year at Mount Union, Sirianni happened to be wearing a Mount Union T-shirt while he was working out at the Lakewood YMCA. The T-shirt drew the attention of another man nearby. That man just happened to be Haley, then the wide receivers coach with the Chicago Bears, who was vacationing in Chautauqua County.

A bond was formed.

''I would pick his brain,'' Sirianni said. ''He gave me some good drills that I used to develop me as a wide receiver and that I later used in my coaching. ... He helped me out a lot.''

Finally, two years ago - again at the YMCA - Haley mentioned to Sirianni that the latter would make a good candidate for a quality control job in the NFL.

And when Haley, whose assistant coaching resume includes stops with the New York Jets, Chicago, Dallas and Arizona, was hired as the Chiefs' head coach on Feb. 6, he didn't forget about Sirianni and called him about an interview.

''When I left (Indianapolis), I felt I did a great job,'' Sirianni said. ''I did feel really confident. I felt good leaving there that I was going to have a job and, fortunately enough, thank God, it worked out.''

What the Sirianni family, which includes older brothers Jay (the coach of the state Class C champion Southwestern Trojans) and Mike (the head head coach at perennially strong Washington & Jefferson College), will do about their love of the Steelers is a story for another day.

http://post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/524473.html

Reaper16
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm going out and gettin' me a Mount Union T-Shirt so I can get a job in the NFL.

Because wearing a t-shirt = being a player and coach for a Division III dynasty and being a coach on a team that's been in the Semi-finals of the Division II playoffs for the past two years.

:rolleyes:

StcChief
03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Good deal continuing to go young.... I like it.

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Because wearing a t-shirt = being a player and coach for a Division III dynasty and being a coach on a team that's been in the Semi-finals of the Division II playoffs for the past two years.

:rolleyes:

It wasnít a slam at Mount Union or IUP. It is just interesting on how life works that wearing a Mount Union T-Shirt got him noticed and he develops a friendship that help leads to a job in the NFL.

-King-
03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
I've always wondered about the guys who break down film. Man that shit must take hours. Breaking down every run play/pass play/interception/touchdown etc, every single week. Man!

Mr. Krab
03-01-2009, 10:27 PM
How many coaches are we going to have, i wonder.

DaWolf
03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Good on him. Hope he makes the most of this opportunity...

Craqhead
03-01-2009, 11:19 PM
And the KC Star cant even get a whiff of whats going on in Arrowhead.

Good for Sirianni!! Hope he brings some good too our beloved Chiefs.

The Buddha
03-02-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm giving you total kudos for saying there was a new staff addition, and actually putting in that it wasn't Crennel. A lesser man would have been an attention whore and said,

"CHIEFS ADD NEW PERSON TO THE STAFF!!! IT COULD POSSIBLY BE CRENNEL!"

doomy3
03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
This is a pretty cool story. Crazy to be 27 years old and have an NFL job like that.

KCChiefsFan88
03-02-2009, 01:03 AM
They hired this jackass over Mike Martz?

Sully
03-02-2009, 05:54 AM
I've always wondered about the guys who break down film. Man that shit must take hours. Breaking down every run play/pass play/interception/touchdown etc, every single week. Man!

It's not that bad with the software available. I'm sure 10 years ago it sucked, though.

Sully
03-02-2009, 05:55 AM

Wow.

old_geezer
03-02-2009, 06:40 AM

I would hire a jackass over Martz any day. (if I could tell which one was which) :)

Wilson8
03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Kansas City Chiefs add Ronnie Bradford, Nick Sirianni to Coaching Staff
Mar 03, 2009, 8:03:15 AM

The Kansas City Chiefs announced on Tuesday that the club has made two additions to head coach Todd Haley’s coaching staff. Ronnie Bradford joins the Chiefs as a defensive assistant, while Nick Sirianni will serve as an offensive quality control coach.

Ronnie Bradford – Bradford joins the Chiefs after spending his previous six seasons as an assistant coach with Denver (2003-08). He served as the special teams assistant (2003), special teams coach (2004-06), assistant defensive backs coach (2007) and defensive backs coach (2008) with the Broncos. He is a native of Minot, North Dakota.

Nick Sirianni – Sirianni (pronounced SEER-ee-AHN-ee) spent three years as the wide receivers coach at Indiana University – Pennsylvania (2006-08). Prior to joining the Crimson Hawks, he was the defensive backs coach at Mount Union and helped the Purple Raiders win the 2005 NCAA Division III National Championship. He is a native of Jamestown, New York.

From kcchiefs.com

Wilson8
03-03-2009, 04:07 PM
CHIEFS ADD TWO MORE COACHES
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 9:20 a.m.
The Chiefs have expanded their 16-member coaching staff, adding two more assistants.

On Tuesday morning, the Chiefs announced that Ronnie Bradford and Nick Sirianni have joined the club.

Bradford will work as a defensive assistant, and Sirianni will serve as an offensive quality control coach.

Bradford most recently coached with the Broncos, and Sirianni comes from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where he spent the last three seasons as receivers coach. It’s his first NFL gig.

There’s still a chance that a nineteen coach will join the team; Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer recently reported that former Browns coach Romeo Crenel could become the defensive coordinator.

Eight members of the staff still don’t have titles.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 9:20 a.m.
The Chiefs have expanded their 16-member coaching staff, adding two more assistants.

On Tuesday morning, the Chiefs announced that Ronnie Bradford and Nick Sirianni have joined the club.

Bradford will work as a defensive assistant, and Sirianni will serve as an offensive quality control coach.

Bradford most recently coached with the Broncos, and Sirianni comes from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where he spent the last three seasons as receivers coach. Itís his first NFL gig.

Thereís still a chance that a nineteen coach will join the team; Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer recently reported that former Browns coach Romeo Crenel could become the defensive coordinator.

Eight members of the staff still donít have titles.

NINETEEN!?!

Rausch
03-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Offensive quality control coach

I'm guessing we didn't have one of these last year, and if we did, why hasn't his body been pulled out of a river somewhere?...

Chief Faithful
03-03-2009, 04:12 PM

Thereís still a chance that a nineteen coach will join the team; Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer recently reported that former Browns coach Romeo Crenel could become the defensive coordinator.

It is hard for me to believe they are going after Crenel.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
I really, really like this.
We're getting compartmentalized, specific. We really are building something instead of trying to just "get by".

Holy shit; we are actually going to own this division again and for a long time to come.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm guessing we didn't have one of these last year, and if we did, why hasn't his body been pulled out of a river somewhere?...

I'd never even heard of one until I was perusing the Steelers website before Pioli was hired.

Quality Control would be "just a waste of money" to a guy like Peckerson.

Well butter my biscuits; the King is TRULY dead.PBJ

Wilson8
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
NINETEEN!?!

Just posted it as it was written. How many coaches did we have last year? I'd still like to have a defensive coordinator (better than we have) and a QB coach.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Just posted it as it was written. How many coaches did we have last year? I'd still like to have a defensive coordinator (better than we have) and a QB coach.

I didn't realize there were that many coaches is all...

It reminds me of the movie Clerks.

THIRTY SEVEN!!!

bsp4444
03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd never even heard of one until I was perusing the Steelers website before Pioli was hired.

Quality Control would be "just a waste of money" to a guy like Peckerson.

Well butter my biscuits; the King is TRULY dead.PBJ

I think Vermeil invented the position.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I like it.

It's pretty obvious Clark isn't afraid to spend money if he's going to give a fat purse to Pioli and then let the guy hire 19 coaches.

RippedmyFlesh
03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
They hired this guy over jackass Mike Martz?
FYP

Sully
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM

We had a ton of coaches under Vermeil, and when Herm was hired, I remember there be a defined discussion about how he was going to do it with less coaches.

Didn't make sense to me.

Darth CarlSatan
03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
We had a ton of coaches under Vermeil, and when Herm was hired, I remember there be a defined discussion about how he was going to do it with less coaches.

Didn't make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense to me either. More coaches mean more one on one time with players that are young and who at times can fall behind the curve during the NFL learning process.

We may not particularly like certain squad coaches and the like, but the overall coaching/staff system that "Haoli" are putting in to place will be a thorough and meticulous one.
Arrowhead is now a house that is in pursuit of a complete, no compromise way of developing a team. And the better the team gets, the more you'll start to see the non-productive players and the ineffective coaches getting the boot.
Some of these personnel choices look like, and in some cases are, total shite. But that's what happens when you have to wait until after the Super Bowl to even begin the process because you don't have a Head Coach yet.

Kansas City fans are probably the most unforgiving yet patient fans in the league; 35 years of nada bear this out. IMO the long wait is over, we just have to have enough patience to make it through the shorter wait.

At least in this case; getting there IS half the fun.