PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli/Chiefs in FA

Cosmos
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm pleased with the "qbotf" and an on the field def coach... but I thought Pioli was going to use the cap space and free agency to reshape the roster.

I know it's not going to happen overnight, but it seems most of the FA talent has landed elsewhere.

Are FA's passing on KC, or is Pioli only looking for lesser/cheaper talents?

SNR
03-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Which guy who's already signed with another team did you REALLY want? Like, we're talking Hugh Douglas want, not just "eh, Vonnie Holiday might be nice"

doomy3
03-02-2009, 10:05 PM
It's hard to sign anyone when Denver is busy signing all these star defensive players.

Cosmos
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=30958

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=6809

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7218

EyePod
03-02-2009, 10:51 PM
He's going to sign a buttload of SECOND TIER GUYS!!!! Not the big names! This is what he did in NE, and will probably do the same here.

KcMizzou
03-02-2009, 10:59 PM
It's hard to sign anyone when Denver is busy signing all these star defensive players.Seriously. Denver's pwning the entire league right about now.

:D

BigChiefFan
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
There's still some decent players out there that could help upgrade the roster.

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
He's going to sign a buttload of SECOND TIER GUYS!!!! Not the big names! This is what he did in NE, and will probably do the same here.

Bullshit.

Roosevelt Colvin, trading for Welker, Moss, Dillon, Harrison, and on and on an on.

I don't know where people got the idea that the Pats didn't sign or trade for any "name" players.

Because they're wrong.

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
There's still some decent players out there that could help upgrade the roster.

Such as?

JASONSAUTO
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=30958

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=6809

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7218

add olshansky and you've got it

KevB
03-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Problem is, most of the "2nd tier" guys were the best available this off-season. Very few top tier guys available. So now that the 2nd tier guys are moving quickly off the board, we're looking at 3rd and 4th tier....not terribly exciting. For now, in Pioli we trust. I'm a touch disappointed we didn't get a player or two at the top of the quality spectrum.

Tipford
03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Gotta love what is going on in Denver if you're a Chiefs fan right now. They tried backdoor trading Cutler, and have him peeved at the entire organization. Brandon Marshall, their best weapon Cutler has to throw too is probably looking at a years suspension, after this latest off the field incident that just happened this weekend. McDaniels may be wishing before next year is over, he had never left New England, or had followed Pioli to Kansas City.....lol..Gotta love it...The AFC West is looking more and more ripe for the picking next year.

thurman merman
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Which guy who's already signed with another team did you REALLY want? Like, we're talking Hugh Douglas want, not just "eh, Vonnie Holiday might be nice"

houshmandzadeh, haynesworth, bart scott, jason brown, jonathan vilma

kcchiefsus
03-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Such as?

Igor Olshansky
Matt Birk (pretty sure he hasn't signed)
Ray Willis
Mark Tauscher
Mike Nugent
Eric Barton
Angelo Crowell
Jabari Greer
Sean Jones
Bryant McFadden

Tipford
03-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Is everyone's memory that short? Vonnie Holiday has already been a Chief, that was a colossal failure. He crashed and burned miserabley. Why on earth, would u want that bum back? A better pickup would be Jason Taylor, who was just cut by the redskins.

Shaid
03-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Gotta love what is going on in Denver if you're a Chiefs fan right now. They tried backdoor trading Cutler, and have him peeved at the entire organization. Brandon Marshall, their best weapon Cutler has to throw too is probably looking at a years suspension, after this latest off the field incident that just happened this weekend. McDaniels may be wishing before next year is over, he had never left New England, or had followed Pioli to Kansas City.....lol..Gotta love it...The AFC West is looking more and more ripe for the picking next year.

Thanks for the red text. Your message is much more clear and concise because of it. :rolleyes:

KcMizzou
Is everyone's memory that short? Vonnie Holiday has already been a Chief, that was a colossal failure. He crashed and burned miserable. Why on earth, would u want that bum back? A better pickup would be Jason Taylor, who was just cut by the redskins.Heh.

doomy3
Is everyone's memory that short? Vonnie Holiday has already been a Chief, that was a colossal failure. He crashed and burned miserabley. Why on earth, would u want that bum back? A better pickup would be Jason Taylor, who was just cut by the redskins.

:spock:

Who said they wanted Holliday back?

kcchiefsus
Is everyone's memory that short? Vonnie Holiday has already been a Chief, that was a colossal failure. He crashed and burned miserable. Why on earth, would u want that bum back? A better pickup would be Jason Taylor, who was just cut by the redskins.

Uhh, because we played him as a DE in the 4-3, our coaches were dumbasses. He has been pretty damn good while in Miami. Not saying I want him but his time here previously means nothing.

KcMizzou
03-02-2009, 11:46 PM
:spock:

Who said they wanted Holliday back?Well, there ya go.

tk13
03-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Other than Adalius Thomas, the Patriots never made that many splashes in FA, they usually did more in the trade market. Even Moss/Welker were both trades. Otherwise they tried to make value pickups.

kcchiefsus
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Let's just face it guys. We're not going to sign anybody. What we have is what we got.

doomy3
03-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Bullshit.

Roosevelt Colvin, trading for Welker, Moss, Dillon, Harrison, and on and on an on.

I don't know where people got the idea that the Pats didn't sign or trade for any "name" players.

Because they're wrong.

I thought the thread was about FA, not trades. FWIW, we already traded for the biggest name this offseason

KcMizzou
03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Let's just face it guys. We're not going to sign anybody. What we have is what we got.Seriously.

As usual, the Chiefs just sit by doing nothing.

I don't know why I bother...

http://www.atlanticblog.com/archives/eeyore.jpg

Reerun_KC
03-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Seriously.

As usual, the Chiefs just sit by doing nothing.

I don't know why I bother...

http://www.atlanticblog.com/archives/eeyore.jpg

ROFL

U funny!

CaliforniaChief
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM
A lot of this anxiety probably stems from the fact that the lack of news-making FA signings feels a lot like Herm/Carl from last year.

But when you look at the history of FA signings, the impact has been minimal except for the impact on teams' budgets/cap figures.

Having a lot of cap room gives us the ability to move quickly like we did for Cassel. We could take on all that cap pain and get the guy we wanted for a 2nd rounder. Now, we have the necessary space to claim additional players who might be cap casualties down the road.

The last thing I want is a bunch of Demorrio Williams' and Kendrell Bell's that make us feel better, like we're "doing something." This trade should put those fears to rest.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Seriously. Denver's pwning the entire league right about now.

:D

Other than Dawkins, who has Denver got that impresses everyone here?

doomy3
03-03-2009, 12:13 AM

It was a joke. And a 30whatever safety for 17 mil isn't impressive either.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 12:20 AM
It was a joke. And a 30whatever safety for 17 mil isn't impressive either.

Ah. I was seeing names and thinking, WTF?

People like Dawkins and Lewis are great pickups for teams who aren't a total wreck like KC. They have the potential to take a team who almost made it over the edge.

But yeah, when someone like Denver picks them up, it seems to be all about making the fans happy. Like when the Chiefs got Ty Law. It really didn't help us out much, but everyone was thinking, "OH MY GOD THIS IS GREAT!"

doomy3
03-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Ah. I was seeing names and thinking, WTF?

People like Dawkins and Lewis are great pickups for teams who aren't a total wreck like KC. They have the potential to take a team who almost made it over the edge.

But yeah, when someone like Denver picks them up, it seems to be all about making the fans happy. Like when the Chiefs got Ty Law. It really didn't help us out much, but everyone was thinking, "OH MY GOD THIS IS GREAT!"

I like Davis, but that's about it.

Basileus777
03-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Let's just face it guys. We're not going to sign anybody. What we have is what we got.

We need spent a shitload of money just to get above the league minimum salary. We have to sign some players.

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
We need spent a shitload of money just to get above the league minimum salary. We have to sign some players.

All the players worth spending all that money on are already gone (for the most part).

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 12:27 AM
All the players worth spending all that money on are already gone (for the most part).

Who did you think was worth spending money on?

Just curious. Certain people have different opinions and whatnot.

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Who did you think was worth spending money on?

Just curious. Certain people have different opinions and whatnot.

Well I realize alot of free agents get paid more than they are worth but that's the way the market is and I wish the Chiefs would just accept that. I don't want to overspend on an aging player like T.J. Houshmandzadeh but IMO there is no reason not to give the money to a young, possibly still ascending player like Jason Brown or Chris Canty, especially when we have $50+ million in cap room (or we did before the Cassel trade, still have a hell of alot).

BigChiefFan
03-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Burnett is worth a look.

soundmind
03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Jason Brown may not have been Haley/Pioli's type of player - but that's the bust I see thus far in the offseason. Haynesworth would have made me happy, but he would never have come here. But all that cap space, plans to bring in a young QBOTF, and you don't get what's arguably the best OLineman on the market.....that's just dumb.

Oh well, I'll trust they just didn't want the guy, or thought that even with $50M to spend, he was too expensive....cause you're not getting one of those Centers without your 2nd rounder.

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Jason Brown may not have been Haley/Pioli's type of player - but that's the bust I see thus far in the offseason. Haynesworth would have made me happy, but he would never have come here. But all that cap space, plans to bring in a young QBOTF, and you don't get what's arguably the best OLineman on the market.....that's just dumb.

Oh well, I'll trust they just didn't want the guy, or thought that even with $50M to spend, he was too expensive....cause you're not getting one of those Centers without your 2nd rounder.

I suppose now is the point where we sign role players/aging veterans until we can find replacements in the draft, kind of like the Mike Vrabel addition. I think adding Matt Birk (pretty sure he is still available) would be a solid addition until we can find somebody younger.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Upon further inspection, Chris Canty doesn't look bad...

Is Tamba Hali worth keeping around? I know he's no superstar, but not every player can be.

Is he a weak link, or the type of player who can play alongside great athletes and strengthen a team? With the way this team has been lately, its hard to tell who's good on that front line, if anyone.

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Upon further inspection, Chris Canty doesn't look bad...

Is Tamba Hali worth keeping around? I know he's no superstar, but not every player can be.

Is he a weak link, or the type of player who can play alongside great athletes and strengthen a team? With the way this team has been lately, its hard to tell who's good on that front line, if anyone.

If we truly are switching to a 3-4 I don't think Tamba Hali fits the defense at all. Too slow to play OLB, too small to play DE.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
If we truly are switching to a 3-4 I don't think Tamba Hali fits the defense at all. Too slow to play OLB, too small to play DE.

Ah... You gotta be about 300 to be a 3-4 DE? 250 for 3-4 OLB?

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Ah... You gotta be about 300 to be a 3-4 DE? 250 for 3-4 OLB?

Not only are 3-4 DE's around 300 but they are also around 6'4" or 6'5". The size for a 3-4 OLB isn't as exact but they are usually comparable to smaller 4-3 defensive ends, but with more speed than most. 260 to 270 and maybe 6'3" or 6'4" is the norm for 3-4 OLB's.

chiefsfanintx
03-03-2009, 01:15 AM
Canty signed with the Giants

Cosmos
03-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Beyond picking up other teams cuts, or trading out of #3 it appears as though Pioli's only opportunity to make a significant change in talent pool would be to trade LJ...TG...BW...TT.

I was hoping for a starter or two from free agency.

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Canty signed with the Giants

I was already well aware of that.

Tribal Warfare
03-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Beyond picking up other teams cuts, or trading out of #3 it appears as though Pioli's only opportunity to make a significant change in talent pool would be to trade LJ...TG...BW...TT.

I was hoping for a starter or two from free agency.

and DJ

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 01:26 AM
I thought the thread was about FA, not trades. FWIW, we already traded for the biggest name this offseason

For all intents and purposes, it's the SAME FUCKING THING.

JFC, people.

JFC!

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Igor Olshansky
Matt Birk (pretty sure he hasn't signed)
Ray Willis
Mark Tauscher
Mike Nugent
Eric Barton
Angelo Crowell
Jabari Greer
Sean Jones
Bryant McFadden

Are you ON RECORD saying that the Chiefs should sign ANY or all of these guys?

STEP IT UP.

Who?

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Are you ON RECORD saying that the Chiefs should sign ANY or all of these guys?

STEP IT UP.

Who?

Obviously not all, but I would be happy with any of them.

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Obviously not all, but I would be happy with any of them.

Nice analysis.

ROFL

kcchiefsus
03-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Nice analysis.

ROFL

What exactly are you asking for?

Of those players listed, depending on the price, I would be happy with any of them. Some, like Olshansky, I would be willing to spend a little more on. If the older guys asked for too much money I would prefer we do not overspend on them.

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 01:41 AM
What exactly are you asking for?

Of those players listed, depending on the price, I would be happy with any of them. Some, like Olshansky, I would be willing to spend a little more on. If the older guys asked for too much money I would prefer we do not overspend on them.

Bullshit.

The Chiefs are $50 million plus under the cap, so don't give me the "price" nonsense.

The TRUE, valuable free agents are gone. Canty, Haynesworth, Scott, etc.

In all honesty, there's no one else right now that upgrades the roster.

And BTW, Olshansky's just a guy. Nothing special. Nothing more.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Bullshit.

The Chiefs are $50 million plus under the cap, so don't give me the "price" nonsense.

But his name is Igor...

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 01:46 AM
But his name is Igor...

I thought it was Eyegore

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Bullshit.

Every year we hear this and every year, more than half of the guys you call "TRUE, valuable" flame out with their new teams.

Free agency isn't a panacea.

Basileus777
03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Every year we hear this and every year, more than half of the guys you call "TRUE, valuable" flame out with their new teams.

Free agency isn't a panacea.

This is true, but even if we leave Cassel's cap hit at 14 mil, we still have a lot to spend to get over the $100 mil salary floor. I just don't know who is left out there that we could possibly spend all that money on.

C-Mac
03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
As we wait, some of the "big name" players are going to get released, then look for Pioli to snag a couple gems still.

Bill Lundberg
03-03-2009, 09:54 AM

I think Andre Davis will be a nice player for them

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Bullshit.

Because they're wrong.

Colvin aside, because he was a big named free agent.... lets look at the guys you listed.

Welker- One good year, complete unknown until he went to the Pats, and MOST were scratching their heads about the Pats giving up a second for a midget unknown WR.

Moss- Gave up only a fourth. Most teams didn't want the drama. A reclamation project.

Dillon- Again, a trade for a guy who was out of favor at his old team and wanted out.

Harrison- Older guy who was cut by the Chargers because they thought he was getting too old.

Other than Colvin, none of these was a 'blockbuster' deal.

In fact, the guy you should have brought up was Adalius Thomas.

But, over the years, they have signed VERY few big named free agents to huge contracts.

And, the two guys they did were Colvin and Thomas.... both have been dissapointments.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
This is true, but even if we leave Cassel's cap hit at 14 mil, we still have a lot to spend to get over the $100 mil salary floor. I just don't know who is left out there that we could possibly spend all that money on.

We still have the draft, and the Chiefs can use the money to lock up guys that they want to keep that are headed to free agency next year.

CaliforniaChief
03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I would like to sign Mike Nugent. Yeah, he's only a PK but we've been screwing around with this position ever since we traded Tynes (and even that was a scary ride). It seems like if he's healthy he'd be a reliable option for us as opposed to Connor Barth.

I'd also like to make a run at Leonhard. He seems like a Pioli-kind of guy who is always making plays on the ball and seems to be an intelligent player.

Finally, I'm intrigued by Olshansky. I think he could elevate his play and certainly 2 times a year would be extra-motivated to perform. He's still pretty young and could give us more people as we switch to 3-4.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 10:10 AM

There's gonna be some guys signed that we never even considered - completely out of left field. That's the M.O.

I mean, a week ago were you thinking Mike Vrabel?

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Colvin aside, because he was a big named free agent.... lets look at the guys you listed.

Welker- One good year, complete unknown until he went to the Pats, and MOST were scratching their heads about the Pats giving up a second for a midget unknown WR.

Moss- Gave up only a fourth. Most teams didn't want the drama. A reclamation project.

Dillon- Again, a trade for a guy who was out of favor at his old team and wanted out.

Harrison- Older guy who was cut by the Chargers because they thought he was getting too old.

Other than Colvin, none of these was a 'blockbuster' deal.

In fact, the guy you should have brought up was Adalius Thomas.

But, over the years, they have signed VERY few big named free agents to huge contracts.

And, the two guys they did were Colvin and Thomas.... both have been dissapointments.

Pretty much what I would have said.

ChiefRon
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I would like to sign Mike Nugent. Yeah, he's only a PK but we've been screwing around with this position ever since we traded Tynes (and even that was a scary ride). It seems like if he's healthy he'd be a reliable option for us as opposed to Connor Barth.

I'd also like to make a run at Leonhard. He seems like a Pioli-kind of guy who is always making plays on the ball and seems to be an intelligent player.

Finally, I'm intrigued by Olshansky. I think he could elevate his play and certainly 2 times a year would be extra-motivated to perform. He's still pretty young and could give us more people as we switch to 3-4.

I agree about Nugent, I mentioned him last week and wonder why we haven't signed him already, but Pioli has some history with late round/undrafted kickers so maybe he'll just bring in a few after the draft to look for a K.

Leonard signed with the Jets.

Micjones
03-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Such as?

(T) Ray Willis
(WR) Devery Henderson
(DE) Igor Olshansky

TPINKC
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm pleased with the "qbotf" and an on the field def coach... but I thought Pioli was going to use the cap space and free agency to reshape the roster.

I know it's not going to happen overnight, but it seems most of the FA talent has landed elsewhere.

Are FA's passing on KC, or is Pioli only looking for lesser/cheaper talents?

FIRST SCOTT PIOLOI HAS TO FINISH CLEANING OUT ALL OF CARL PETERSONS CRONIES IN THE FRONT OFFICE. SR. VP BILL NEWMAN???