PDA

View Full Version : MU Spring Preview: Quarterbacks - Life after Chase Daniel

KChiefs1
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Going to be an interesting spring.....:)

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=918805

Gabe DeArmond
PowerMizzou.com Publisher
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>

The Missouri Tigers enter the post-Chase Daniel era when the open spring football later this month. For the first time since Brad Smith's freshman year, Mizzou enters the spring without a set idea of who will start at quarterback. PowerMizzou.com takes an in-depth look at the position as we start our spring ball previews.

<!--Start blaine gabbert 267 buf Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/898/692509.jpg', '692509.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Gabbert has the inside track to win the starting job.', 'Dan Turner', 1236008735000, 'blaine gabbert 267 buf', 898, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/898/692509.jpg</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Dan Turner</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Gabbert has the inside track to win the starting job.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End blaine gabbert 267 buf Image-->The Favorite: Blaine Gabbert (http://missouri.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=402319) enters the spring as the clear-cut leader in the competition to succeed Daniel. Gabbert saw limited action as a true freshman, but it's more the experience he got in practice that puts him out front. Gabbert took quite a few reps with the first team both during the season and in bowl practices. The former five-star recruit enters the spring having to play his way out of the starting job.

The Challengers: Blaine Dalton (http://missouri.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=63263) and Ashton Glaser (http://missouri.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=84514) are on campus for spring ball, which gives them a leg up over most true freshmen. But they're still true freshmen. Jimmy Costello (http://missouri.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=84575) received a scholarship in the spring and will get a chance to compete as well.

Spring Prediction: It would be surprising if Gabbert was not the starter. What will likely be more interesting is the backup competition. Does one of the two freshmen win the job? Does Costello get the nod to preserve the redshirts for the young guys? There is no more pressing question, not just for this season, but for the future of the program. At this point, we'd expect one of the two freshmen to grab the backup spot, but if Costello is close, it might serve the Tigers well to let him play the mop-up snaps and maintain four years of eligibility for Dalton and Glaser.

Things Could Change If... Again, it would be a surprise to see Gabbert not starting, but it would not be a complete shock. Dalton and Glaser are both expected to do good things at Mizzou and it's possible one of them shows enough in spring ball to legitimately challenge for the starting job in fall camp. If Gabbert is overtaken before the start of next season, will he accept being the backup like Chase Patton did?

PowerMizzou.com will preview every position prior to the first spring practice. Coming later today: The tailbacks.

dpg4zombie
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Can't wait to see what happens with the tigers

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Damn! Gabberts a big 'ol boy. Looks like Ben Roth Jr. Me like!

gblowfish
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I predict heartbreak.

Frazod
03-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm just glad Daniel is gone. God bless him for what he did in 2007, but at the rate his play deteriorated last season, I would not want him back.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Daniel had a pretty damn good run for mizzou, all those guys did....they started hopefully what is a bright future for mizzou football. I'll always be thankful for that...

I'm excited about next year and see if Gabbert is the real deal

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm just glad Daniel is gone. God bless him for what he did in 2007, but at the rate his play deteriorated last season, I would not want him back.

The thing that kills me, is that the Heisman Trophy is a fucking curse at damn near every level.

It's a distraction in College,
It doesn't mean SHIT on the board at draft time, and
And the the majority of the guys who win it either have very average careers in the NFL, or they flame out altogether.

Useless, that fuckin' thing.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
The thing that kills me, is that the Heisman Trophy is a ****ing curse at damn near every level.

And the the majority of the guys who win it either have very average careers in the NFL, or they flame out altogether.

Useless, that ****in' thing.

I'm sure it boosted chase's ego to be in the running, he failed the next year atleast in our spoiled standards. he still had a great career at mizzou

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm sure it boosted chase's ego to be in the running, he failed the next year atleast in our spoiled standards. he still had a great career at mizzou

As fans, we SHOULDN'T be satisfied being the best in the North, because the North is SHIT!

Our only mission in life should be the yearly pursuit of destroying UT and OU by any means necessary. Because until that's a daily part of life; the Tigers will never see a BCS Bowl.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
As fans, we SHOULDN'T be satisfied being the best in the North, because the North is SHIT!

Our only mission in life should be the yearly pursuit of destroying UT and OU by any means necessary. Because until that's a daily part of life; the Tigers will never see a BCS Bowl.

I understand your take but at the same time, we weren't a powerhouse, hell we aren't a powerhouse program but we are moving up...i'm sure their goals were as high as possible, but we are spoiled considering what we've had. Corby Jones era was probably the last good era, and we misused Brad Smith. Hopefully this will start something huge, we need better recruits etc, but i definetly want that W against OK.

bowener
03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
How do we always manage to get quarterbacks with the same name, and uncommon names at that?

Frazod
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM

We could just try dodging them - it worked for the gayhawks.

Reerun_KC
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM

Here we go again.... ROFL

Frazod
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Here we go again.... ROFL

Well, it did..... :p

Reerun_KC
03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, it did..... :p

And I appreciate MU taking the fall for KU and its BCS Bowl.... Well I dont appreciate MU, but the fact that you got worked... Makes that BCS Bowl so much sweeter!

Thanks Frazod...

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM

:doh!:ROFL

This one's gotta' sting a little:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/PHELPSKU-1.png

CoMoChief
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
The thing that kills me, is that the Heisman Trophy is a ****ing curse at damn near every level.

Useless, that ****in' thing.

Its a distraction if your program (like MU fball) isn't used to that kinda publicity.

baitism
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Well, Missouri most likely will not win the North this year...

Rausch
03-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Did he even work out at the combine?

Mr. Bidness' stock dropped like Enron...

Alton deFlat
03-03-2009, 03:26 PM
What's the odds of having two QBs with the first name of Blaine on your roster?

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Its a distraction if your program (like MU fball) isn't used to that kinda publicity.

Well, Missouri most likely will not win the North this year...

Look at this! Look at how pathetic your smack is!

Kill Yourself/Hamas

baitism
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM

He was never expected to be an NFL prospect...

baitism
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM

Kill Yourself/Hamas

I am a Mizzou fan. But, look at who we lost. Winning the North would be quite an accomplishment.

eazyb81
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
It's nice to go into this season not having any real expectations. Due to how much talent we lost and how young we are, most Mizzou fans will be pleased with a 7 or 8 win season. I can't wait to see how Gabbert and Sheldon Richardson do this season.

It will be interesting to see how ku and nebraska perform. Right now I'd have to say the beakers are the favorite for the North title.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I am a Mizzou fan you moron. But, look at who we lost. Winning the North would be quite an accomplishment.

Most sincere apologies, Sir Baitism. :thumb:

baitism
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Ugh. Sorry for being jumpy. Been around Jayhawk fans all week...

Rausch
03-03-2009, 03:48 PM

Kill Yourself/Hamas

Read more - post less...

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Ugh. Sorry for being jumpy. Been around Jayhawk fans all week...

Mmm...yes, I see.

Just piss in their coffee every now and then; does wonders for the soul, I tells' ya!

:)

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Read more - post less...

Meh.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
IMO is a better TE than LB...thats all i got.

http://missouri.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=86667&sport=1

Spott
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I am a Mizzou fan. But, look at who we lost. Winning the North would be quite an accomplishment.

It's still very feasible considering that their conference schedule isn't all that hard. Playing at home against UT and on the road against OSU doesn't look too promising, but I think they'll beat Nebraska at home and should have a good chance of getting 5-6 wins in conference. But it's all a moot point because whoever wins the north is going to get blown out by Texas or OU.