PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why should we get rid of Thigpen?

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 12:31 AM
He seems to be the same style of QB as Cassel, and would be an awesome backup. He's the type of guy who could come in if Cassel gets injured, and you wouldn't have to change stuff up.

I'm a learning noob, though, so I don't get this very well. But they seem to be from the same mold as far as I can see, more so than Cassel has in common with Croyle (who I think is awesome, but just isn't the same).

chiefzilla1501
03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
A lot of people will tell you they should get rid of him and I have no idea why.

For a backup, he should be pretty effective. And he has the upside to learn a lot from good coaching over the next few years. Who knows, if Cassel bombs, then maybe Thigpen will learn enough over the next 1-2 years to be given a test drive.

He costs nothing. He has good upside. He's a solid backup, at the very least. I agree--I don't know why some people seem so anxious to get rid of him, even if only for an average draft pick.

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
If you can acquire a third round pick or higher, absofuckinglutely.

If not, no.

SNR
03-03-2009, 12:51 AM
We're not going to get rid of him

...at least until the end of preseason

Rudy lost the toss
03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
because he's only an inch taller than Chase Daniel and 60 pounds lighter

WhitiE
03-03-2009, 06:23 AM
we shouldnt unless someone wants to give us something for him.....

Stryker
03-03-2009, 06:28 AM
We need to get rid of Croyle.

BigMeatballDave
03-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah, unless we get something good for him in a trade, he'll make a great back-up.

kepp
03-03-2009, 06:48 AM

this

BigMeatballDave
03-03-2009, 06:51 AM
We need to get rid of Croyle.That will take care of itself. He'll probably blow out the other knee during preseason...

MahiMike
03-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Who said we would? I see Croyle going. Just like many players of the former regime. In 3 years, there will be a handful of Herm guys left.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 06:57 AM
because he's only an inch taller than Chase Daniel and 60 pounds lighter

He is also an inch taller than Drew Brees and only an inch shorter than Mark Sanchez.

Mecca
03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
The new regime has an anti skeleton fucking policy.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 07:05 AM
He seems to be the same style of QB as Cassel, and would be an awesome backup. He's the type of guy who could come in if Cassel gets injured, and you wouldn't have to change stuff up.

I'm a learning noob, though, so I don't get this very well. But they seem to be from the same mold as far as I can see, more so than Cassel has in common with Croyle (who I think is awesome, but just isn't the same).

I don't sense a big movement to get rid of him. Personally, I hope they don't get rid of him. In fact, I hope they don't trade him for a draft pick lower than the top half of the third round.

He was in his second year out of Coastal Carolina. I think this kid has got a ton of upside, and I don't think you trade that away until the new coaching staff gets him in the meeting rooms and on the practice field.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 07:11 AM

#1) We can't get rid of Croyle right now due to his injury. We would have to come to an injury settlement with him, and well... why?

#2) For all of Croyle's flaws, he has a great arm and some starting experience. The Chiefs could do worse for a #3 QB if Gray or Thigpen were to go down in camp with an injury.

#3) You need as many good arms in camp as you can get to conduct practices.

Not saying he sticks on the 53, but I don't think you cut that guy before the end of training camp.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 07:12 AM
The new regime has an anti skeleton ****ing policy.

Okay, trying to understand, but could you explain this statement. I know you were taking a shot at someone... but who and for what?

Rooster
03-03-2009, 07:18 AM

but his wife stays. :evil:

Mecca
03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Okay, trying to understand, but could you explain this statement. I know you were taking a shot at someone... but who and for what?

There's a picture of Tyler Thigpen where it looks like he's having sex with a skeleton...

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 08:40 AM
We can't dump Croyle without an injury settlement, so that's not gonna happen any time soon.

As for getting rid of Thigpen, he MIGHT be a solid backup. But he's gonna have to learn how to take snaps from under center. If he can't do that, there won't be a spot for him, because a real NFL QB has to be able to do it. In that regards, he's NOTHING like Cassel.

Chiefnj2
03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
#1) We can't get rid of Croyle right now due to his injury. We would have to come to an injury settlement with him, and well... why?

I was not aware of this. If he passes a physical can he be traded?

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 09:02 AM

I'm not exactly sure how it works. He ended the season on IR, so as of right now he's technically still injured. When do they have to declare, OTA's?

StcChief
03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
but his wife stays. :evil:was waiting for that one... ROFL Brodie can be equipment manager/towel boy.

Mr. Krab
03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
We shouldn't get rid of him because he's a good backup who can also run the wildcat offense as a changeup. But every player has a price though. If someone offers big value for any player we should consider it.

Mr. Krab
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
As soon as Brodie is cleared to practice again with the team we can trade/cut him without settlement.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
You trade him for decent compensation, otherwise he probably is our #2

boogblaster
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Thigpen will be on this team come Sept. print it ....

Reerun_KC
03-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I would for be dumping everyone, draft a QB at the #3, let him sit for a couple of years, then install him for a championship run....

Frankie
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM

1- The way you spelled n00b is evidence enough of your ranking. ;)

2- Would you NOT trade Thigpen for a 2nd if somebody actually offered that? I would,... in a 2nd. :p

thurman merman
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
there is no reason whatsoever that any chiefs fan should even consider getting rid of thigpen. cassel and thigpen gives the chiefs the best quarterback depth they have had in recent memory, if not ever.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
there is no reason whatsoever that any chiefs fan should even consider getting rid of thigpen. cassel and thigpen gives the chiefs the best quarterback depth they have had in recent memory, if not ever.

Grbac, Gannon, Collins?

Frankie
03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
He was in his second year out of Coastal Carolina. I think this kid has got a ton of upside, and I don't think you trade that away until the new coaching staff gets him in the meeting rooms and on the practice field.

Let's trade him to the Vikes for their 2nd, being that we stole him from them. :evil:

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Whoa.

Frankie
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I would for be dumping everyone, draft a QB at the #3, let him sit for a couple of years, then install him for a championship run....

Probably not at 3, but I'm almost sure Pioli will draft a QB in the 5-7 range.

DeezNutz
03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
We can't dump Croyle without an injury settlement, so that's not gonna happen any time soon.

As for getting rid of Thigpen, he MIGHT be a solid backup. But he's gonna have to learn how to take snaps from under center. If he can't do that, there won't be a spot for him, because a real NFL QB has to be able to do it. In that regards, he's NOTHING like Cassel.

Great to have you posting.

I'm tired of reading how Thigpen is a great 2nd stringer. No he's not. Not yet. We *hope* he develops into at least this.

Frankie
03-03-2009, 12:06 PM
cassel and thigpen gives the chiefs the best quarterback depth they have had in recent memory, if not ever.

Len Dawson and Mike Livingston beg to differ.

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Traded?

Did you "Traded"?

Uh.................................................

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Whoa.

Welcome back!

It's a brave new world!

DeezNutz
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Traded?

Did you "Traded"?

Uh.................................................

LMAO

chiefzilla1501
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM

This whole aspect is overrated, especially if we're talking about just serving as a backup. When you're talking about a backup, you can't ask "is this guy good enough to lead the team to the playoffs." The question is "is this guy good enough to at least squeeze out a .500 record while Cassel is out."

A full spread offense looks like it can do just that. So if Thigpen has to jump in for 3 games while Cassel is out, I have no problem with the Chiefs going full spread for those 3 games--it at least put the Chiefs in a position to win games. As a backup, it's okay to be a full spread QB. If Thigpen wants to compete to be a starter at all in his career, then yes, he'll need to learn to play under center.

And by the way, Cassel earns the starting job, but you left out the part where he took the majority of his snaps last season from the shotgun.

FishingRod
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Montana and Dave Kreig and who ever was behind them.

DeezNutz
03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Fuck. Trent Green and Todd Collins were better.

Right now we have Cassel, who is still somewhat of an unknown, and no one.

keg in kc
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Same style of QB as cassel? What?

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Well, they are both white.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 01:50 PM

Both are familiar with a spread-style offense, and can also tuck and run.

They're not twins, but it beats having a setup like Vick and Schaub where everyone has to switch up.

Chief Faithful
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Without stressing I'd say:
Dawson, Flores, Livingston was pretty good.
Kinney, Deberg
Montana, Kreig
Grbac, Gannon

Cassel, Thigpen really need to prove something.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
This whole aspect is overrated, especially if we're talking about just serving as a backup. When you're talking about a backup, you can't ask "is this guy good enough to lead the team to the playoffs." The question is "is this guy good enough to at least squeeze out a .500 record while Cassel is out."

A full spread offense looks like it can do just that. So if Thigpen has to jump in for 3 games while Cassel is out, I have no problem with the Chiefs going full spread for those 3 games--it at least put the Chiefs in a position to win games. As a backup, it's okay to be a full spread QB. If Thigpen wants to compete to be a starter at all in his career, then yes, he'll need to learn to play under center.

And by the way, Cassel earns the starting job, but you left out the part where he took the majority of his snaps last season from the shotgun.

Actually, it's AMPLIFIED if Thigpen is a backup. The LAST thing you want with a backup is to have to change the entire playbook to accomodate him.

And it's not about whether or not Cassel took snaps from the shotgun. Cassel can, and will, take snaps from under center as well. Thigpen on the other hand HAD to run the shotgun because he can't take a snap.

Chief Faithful
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm confused by this thread, didn't Haley say there would be a QB competition between Cassel and Thigpen? I would assume that means either can still be #1 or #2.

Of course I believe like most of you it is Cassel's job to lose more than Thigpen's job to win.

OnTheWarpath58
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Actually, it's AMPLIFIED if Thigpen is a backup. The LAST thing you want with a backup is to have to change the entire playbook to accomodate him.

And it's not about whether or not Cassel took snaps from the shotgun. Cassel can, and will, take snaps from under center as well. Thigpen on the other hand HAD to run the shotgun because he can't take a snap.

Exactly.

I'll get jumped for this, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Croyle end up being the #2, provided they don't sign anyone. Staying healthy shouldn't be that hard (even for him) holding a clipboard, and he can actually run a pro style offense.

Having Thigpen as a backup puts your entire offense in the position of having to scrap everything and start over if Cassel goes down.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm confused by this thread, didn't Haley say there would be a QB competition between Cassel and Thigpen? I would assume that means either can still be #1 or #2.

Of course I believe like most of you it is Cassel's job to lose more than Thigpen's job to win.

That's coachspeak. Thigpen isn't gonna start or they wouldn't have given up picks to get somebody else's franchise player. They could have drafted somebody in the 3rd round to come in and "compete".

Chief Faithful
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
That's coachspeak. Thigpen isn't gonna start or they wouldn't have given up picks to get somebody else's franchise player. They could have drafted somebody in the 3rd round to come in and "compete".

Yep

thurman merman
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM

well, i'm not that old, so i don't know...but definitely the best combination they've had in a long time.

Frankie
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm confused by this thread, didn't Haley say there would be a QB competition between Cassel and Thigpen?

This time of the year there are a lot of statements like that made throughout the league. Means exactly zilch.

Frankie
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Having Thigpen as a backup puts your entire offense in the position of having to scrap everything and start over if Cassel goes down.

Pioli will trade Thiggy away at the first semblance of a reasonable offer. Good or bad, he has been a starter with this team and likely enjoys some players' loyalty. Pioli and Haley do not want a split locker room.

lazepoo
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
We should trade Thigpen because his value isn't going to get any higher than it is right now after putting up some decent stats last season, and he can't run our offense. If we need a backup, it should be someone that, as mentioned before, can come in and give us a decent chance to win our games until Cassel can come back. I wouldn't be upset with Thigpen as our developmental QB, but if we have to use a completely different playbook to be effective with Thigpen, he isn't a good #2 for us, so it makes sense to trade him to someone that can use him while he has value.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
We should trade Thigpen because his value isn't going to get any higher than it is right now after putting up some decent stats last season, and he can't run our offense. If we need a backup, it should be someone that, as mentioned before, can come in and give us a decent chance to win our games until Cassel can come back. I wouldn't be upset with Thigpen as our developmental QB, but if we have to use a completely different playbook to be effective with Thigpen, he isn't a good #2 for us, so it makes sense to trade him to someone that can use him while he has value.

So you don't think Cassel and Thigpen can run the same offense?

BTW, as a person who wants to keep him, this is BY FAR the best answer I've heard for shipping his ass out. Sometimes a stock doesn't need to have good numbers, as long as the buzz surrounding it is good. If people out there think he could possibly become a starter, and he gets no better than he was last year, you're ABSOLUTELY right in wanting to pull the trigger.

Pull the trigger, on the Pistol... HA!

DeezNutz
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Exactly.

I'll get jumped for this, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Croyle end up being the #2, provided they don't sign anyone. Staying healthy shouldn't be that hard (even for him) holding a clipboard, and he can actually run a pro style offense.

Our #2 might even be in the draft.

It's a stretch, not saying we're taking one at #3, but if a guy like Davis were to slip, I could see this being the selection.

OnTheWarpath58
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Pioli will trade Thiggy away at the first semblance of a reasonable offer. Good or bad, he has been a starter with this team and likely enjoys some players' loyalty. Pioli and Haley do not want a split locker room.

I don't see them getting an offer period, Frankie.

What team is going to scrap their entire offense and start over for Tyler Thigpen?

What NFL team is going to WILLINGLY switch to the freaking Pistol?

He's ours until we either cut him, or he learns to be effective in a pro-style offense.

Reerun_KC
So you don't think Cassel and Thigpen can run the same offense?

BTW, as a person who wants to keep him, this is BY FAR the best answer I've heard for shipping his ass out. Sometimes a stock doesn't need to have good numbers, as long as the buzz surrounding it is good. If people out there think he could possibly become a starter, and he gets no better than he was last year, you're ABSOLUTELY right in wanting to pull the trigger.

Pull the trigger, on the Pistol... HA!

Actually no I don't... I would rather them trade thigpen, spend the #3 on a QB and get another vet in here to push the #3 overall pick to replace Mitchell, crap I mean Cassel...

Get what we can for him... He gives us very little going forward...

OnTheWarpath58

It's a stretch, not saying we're taking one at #3, but if a guy like Davis were to slip, I could see this being the selection.

He'd have to slip quite a bit, seeing as we no longer have a 2nd round pick.

DeezNutz
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM

You don't think there's any chance he dips to the third?

I'm frankly going to be shocked if we don't take it in the ass to get out of the #3 spot, assuming there's even a remotely plausible offer.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Although the Pistol is strange indeed, this is how stuff happened.

Back in the day, T-formations and 5-2 defenses were the norm.

Its POSSIBLE (not likely) these hybrid spread offenses certain teams are incorporating are going to start a new fad.

I heard through articles that the Pistol DID throw off some defenses cause it has unique timing to it, and made it hard to gauge. But it could very well just be a fad, like Run n' Gun.

OnTheWarpath58
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Of course it's possible, especially considering there's still 7 weeks to the draft.

But that would mean some combination of teams like the Niners, Panthers, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Bucs, Rams, Seahawks and Jets would have to pass on him at least once, and in some cases twice.

He's the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft depending on who you're talking to. There are too many QB desperate teams for him to fall to the 3rd, IMO.

lazepoo
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM

I'm frankly going to be shocked if we don't take it in the ass to get out of the #3 spot, assuming there's even a remotely plausible offer.

I could see him sliding to the third, especially if Sanchez and Freeman fall a little.

I also don't think that we'll hold onto our #3 pick unless we can't get anything at all for it. It isn't a good value with the contract we'll have to give to someone in that slot. I could see us trading down for a decent player as well as a pick later in the first round and possibly another pick in the later rounds.

OnTheWarpath58
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Although the Pistol is strange indeed, this is how stuff happened.

Back in the day, T-formations and 5-2 defenses were the norm.

Its POSSIBLE (not likely) these hybrid spread offenses certain teams are incorporating are going to start a new fad.

I heard through articles that the Pistol DID throw off some defenses cause it has unique timing to it, and made it hard to gauge. But it could very well just be a fad, like Run n' Gun.

Fads are quickly "figured out" in today's NFL.

See: Wildcat Formation.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I could see him sliding to the third, especially if Sanchez and Freeman fall a little.

I also don't think that we'll hold onto our #3 pick unless we can't get anything at all for it. It isn't a good value with the contract we'll have to give to someone in that slot. I could see us trading down for a decent player as well as a pick later in the first round and possibly another pick in the later rounds.

GET PAT WHITE! He's NOTHING like Thigpen!

lazepoo
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Fads are quickly "figured out" in today's NFL.

See: Wildcat Formation.

That's true, but some team might think that Thigpen's a safer bet than some later round draft pick, especially on a team with a middling veteran QB. He's proven that he's able to take a hit and run an offense in the pros, and they might think that with a full offseason to prepare, he could be a viable second or third option with an eye towards the future.

DeezNutz
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Of course it's possible, especially considering there's still 7 weeks to the draft.

But that would mean some combination of teams like the Niners, Panthers, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Bucs, Rams, Seahawks and Jets would have to pass on him at least once, and in some cases twice.

He's the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft depending on who you're talking to. There are too many QB desperate teams for him to fall to the 3rd, IMO.

True.

Probably some wishin and hopin on my part.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
That's true, but some team might think that Thigpen's a safer bet than some later round draft pick, especially on a team with a middling veteran QB. He's proven that he's able to take a hit and run an offense in the pros, and they might think that with a full offseason to prepare, he could be a viable second or third option with an eye towards the future.

He's gonna be the next Steve Young... count it!

Frankie
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
We should trade Thigpen because his value isn't going to get any higher than it is right now after putting up some decent stats last season....

Exactly why I was screaming for LJ to be traded two years ago. :banghead: If Thigpen has any reasonable trade value, we should trade him NOW.

Frankie
03-04-2009, 09:37 AM

Or already on the roster.

OK its a bit of wishful thinking here. I have supported Croyle in the past, but I'm not even talking about HIM here.

Frankie
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't see them getting an offer period, Frankie.

What team is going to scrap their entire offense and start over for Tyler Thigpen?

He's ours until we either cut him, or he learns to be effective in a pro-style offense.

I'm afraid you are right. That's why I said "if" there's an offer. That, I agree, is quite unlikely.

Frankie
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

In Pioli I trust. I think somehow we will end up with a 2.

Frankie
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
He's gonna be the next Steve Young... count it!

Well then lets shop him to SF. ;)

OnTheWarpath58
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
In Pioli I trust. I think somehow we will end up with a 2.

I'm hoping so, and everything I read about him leads me to believe he'll get a 2nd back.

I've read several places that he and Belichick value 2nd round picks as much as 1st, based on the fact that you should be getting a damn good football player, and at a ridiculously low cost. Huge value.

DeezNutz
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Or already on the roster.

OK its a bit of wishful thinking here. I have supported Croyle in the past, but I'm not even talking about HIM here.

Thigpen?

Maybe with much, much work.

Gray?

Please don't mention Croyle's name anymore. It needs to be filtered on this board. Seriously. He can't make it through a single game, much less a stretch of games if the starter were to go down, so he's essentially as valuable to the team as I am.

I vote for a complete ban of serious Croyle discussions.

otherstar
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Thigpen?

Maybe with much, much work.

Gray?

Please don't mention Croyle's name anymore. It needs to be filtered on this board. Seriously. He can't make it through a single game, much less a stretch of games if the starter were to go down, so he's essentially as valuable to the team as I am.

I vote for a complete ban of serious Croyle discussions.

I agree. Let's limit ourselves to NFL QB's.