PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Scott Wright's take on the Cassel/Vrabel trade

Sam Hall
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Free agency opened over the weekend and while there was a flurry of activity it was all overshadowed by a single trade. In case you've been living in a cave and don't know what I'm talking about the New England Patriots shipped QB Matt Cassel and LB Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for a 2nd round pick (#34 overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft.

From the Chiefs point of view this was a no-brainer and you have to give their new general manager Scott Pioli a ton of credit. Pioli is considered to be one of the best personnel men in the business and deals like this are the reason why. Like all good football minds Pioli recognizes the importance of the quarterback position and when he realized his new franchise didn't have one he rectified the situation. Kansas City may look to sign the 26-year-old Cassel to a long-term deal in the near future but they do have the option of just letting him play out the 2009 season under that one-year, $14.6 million franchise tag to make sure he's the real deal. If Cassel is as good as many feel he is the Chiefs are set under center for the next decade. As an added bonus this deal also allows Kansas City to bypass the quarterbacks and address another one of their myriad of other needs with that #3 overall pick in April. Don't sleep on the Mike Vrabel aspect of the trade either. Vrabel is undoubtedly nearing the end of his career but he still has a little gas left in the tank and more importantly will serve as a team leader and mentor on their young defense. There is nothing not to like about this move from the Chiefs perspective and with a single transaction Pioli has essentially put the franchise's massive rebuilding efforts on a fast-track.

As for New England, there is no question that the Patriots could have gotten more for Cassel had they shopped him around but they were motivated to get that $14 million off their cap as soon as possible so they could make some moves in free agency. Other teams came in late offering a better package but by then Belichick had already agreed to a deal with the Chiefs. Did Pioli's relationship with his old organization help him in making this trade? Absolutely. However, he was the one who was proactive and made something happen and shame on those other quarterback-needy teams (Tampa Bay! Detroit! Minnesota!) for sitting on their hands when they had an amazing opportunity to acquire a good young signal caller at a very reasonable price. Don't shed any tears for the Pats though because while they didn't get the king's random for Cassel that many imagined they still hold a first round pick (#23) and three second rounders (#34, #47 and #58) in the upcoming draft. That puts them in prime position to supplement a roster that is already Super Bowl-caliber with a lot of good young talent. Talk about the rich getting richer! Oh, and they will have to try and replace Cassel under center with some guy named Tom Brady.

One final thought: There are many who feel the Detroit Lions shouldn't take a quarterback with the #1 overall pick but I hope they noticed that the first thing Pioli did was bring in a top signal caller. He's only credited as being a key architect of a team that won three Super Bowls though so what does he know...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/blog/Wright-Stuff-Blog.php

Sam Hall
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I guess this makes him a retard to the Al Davis pawnsLMAO

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Like all good football minds Pioli recognizes the importance of the quarterback position and when he realized his new franchise didn't have one he rectified the situation.

That's the part that gives me wood.

Let's say it, and repeat as often as necessary:

"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
Let it sink in nice and deep...

"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
:LOL:

RustShack
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
That's the part that gives me wood.

Let's say it, and repeat as often as necessary:

"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
Let it sink in nice and deep...

"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"
"Didn't Have One"

Thats right, we had three! Croyle, Huard, and THIGPEN!!!!111!!1!1!!

LMAO

Pants
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
DCS reminds me of Kotter, except on crack.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Thats right, we had three! Croyle, Huard, and THIGPEN!!!!111!!1!1!!

LMAO

And our place in the hallowed 'Bucket Of Warm Piss Hall Of Fame' is a LOCK!ROFL

BigChiefFan
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Good snippet from Wright.

raybec 4
03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
This says Pioli is one of the best personnel men in the business, I wonder what his CP user name is because we have the best talent evaluators in the NFL right here.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
This says Pioli is one of the best personnel men in the business, I wonder what his CP user name is because we have the best talent evaluators in the NFL right here.

I could tell you, but I'd have to Kill Myself/...

58kcfan89
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
It's nice to now know what it feels like to be on the stealing end of a highway robbery... I'm already excited for Draft weekend & I don't think we're done with free agents yet, either!

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
It's nice to now know what it feels like to be on the stealing end of a highway robbery... I'm already excited for Draft weekend & I don't think we're done with free agents yet, either!

I hear ya'! In the space of weeks we've gone from ultimate catastrafuck, to the one team in the division that has it's shit together.

This draft is gonna' be a jaw-dropper, and I'm ready.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I hear ya'! In the space of weeks we've gone from ultimate catastrafuck, to the one team in the division that has it's shit together.

This draft is gonna' be a jaw-dropper, and I'm ready.

That's the spirit!

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
DCS reminds me of Kotter, except on crack.

Personally, I think it's the other way around

Sam Hall
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
If Matt Cassel is the next Trent Green, I'd say that's a pretty darn good quarterback. That's one criticism of Cassel I don't understand. Trent Green was the league's most underrated QB.

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Trent Green was the league's most underrated QB.

Yeah, he was amazing without Willie Roaf.

:rolleyes:

Sam Hall
03-03-2009, 01:07 PM

The above message was brought to you by the Oakland Raiders PR department.

kysirsoze
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
This has got to be the longest offseason in history. I should be getting excited about baseball but instead I'm checking for FA updates every 20 min.

Tiger's Fan
03-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I could tell you, but I'd have to Kill Myself/...

Please, tell him!

Pants
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Please, tell him!

LMAO

kysirsoze
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Please, tell him!

Brock
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
If Matt Cassel is the next Trent Green, I'd say that's a pretty darn good quarterback. That's one criticism of Cassel I don't understand. Trent Green was the league's most underrated QB.

As long as he's Trent Green for 10 years instead of 5, I'm fine with that.

DaWolf
03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
However, he was the one who was proactive and made something happen and shame on those other quarterback-needy teams (Tampa Bay! Detroit! Minnesota!) for sitting on their hands when they had an amazing opportunity to acquire a good young signal caller at a very reasonable price.

This is why Pioli values privacy. The media love to complain about the "cloak and dagger" aspect of things at Arrowhead right now, but that's one of the reasons why the "deal was done" with the Pats before these other teams figured it out and started trying to throw offers out there. And hell, if we land Crennel as DC, I'll take a few weeks of not knowing what roles the defensive staff has...

Pants
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
This is why Pioli values privacy. The media love to complain about the "cloak and dagger" aspect of things at Arrowhead right now, but that's one of the reasons why the "deal was done" with the Pats before these other teams figured it out and started trying to throw offers out there. And hell, if we land Crennel as DC, I'll take a few weeks of not knowing what roles the defensive staff has...

That's a very good point.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Please, tell him!

Oooh! Ouch! LMAO I wish MY team had awesome fans like this:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/PHELPSKU-1.png

Pants
03-03-2009, 02:31 PM

I gotta admit - that's pretty funny, albeit irrelevant.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 02:32 PM

I can't figure out which is more nauseating; having to look at Gay Butler's name every page, or lamentations on KC's greatest mouthbreather.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I gotta admit - that's pretty funny, albeit irrelevant.

No more so than some asinine comment pondering Pioli's Chiefs Planet Moniker, as we are all smarter than him, yes?

Here's a news flash:

Some people DO know more than others. Welcome to the human race.

Brock
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM

You're in luck.

http://www.blacktable.com/images/0304pics/phelpssign.jpg

Pants
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
No more so than some asinine comment pondering Pioli's Chiefs Planet Moniker, as we are all smarter than him, yes?

Here's a news flash:

Some people DO know more than others. Welcome to the human race.

I was just laughing at the set up and the execution of a joke. Not really sure what you got your panties in bunch over, though.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
I was just laughing at the set up and the execution of a joke. Not really sure what you got your panties in bunch over, though.

It wasn't directed at you, the thread came full-circle and you happened to be in the right place. :thumb:

I don't get too wound up over Hymen; that would be like kicking a goat at the petting zoo for chewing on your pant leg.

Darth CarlSatan
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
You're in luck.

http://www.blacktable.com/images/0304pics/phelpssign.jpg

Uhh, that's EVERYONES's team, Brock. And it does nothing to diminish the fact than when it comes to good ol' home field advantage at the collegiate level; Phelps is your boy.

So the next time he shows at Allen, would one of you Beakers grow a fucking set, do the right thing, and eradicate this shitbag and his shitbag family?
Thanks!

Sam Hall
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
This thread went somewhere I didn't expect:evil:

SBK
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Phelps looks like he needs a good kick in the nuts.